Randy Cunneyworth’s word of the day was “invigorating”.
He used it to describe an up-tempo Boxing Day practice, and the coach said he was looking for “a little invigoration” when the team plays the Ottawa Senators Tuesday night.
P.K. Subban’s word of the day was “embarrassed”, employed several times in expressing his reaction to being a healthy scratch in Winnipeg..
• • •
Your Montreal Canadiens are on the ice in Brossard for a two-hour session that starts at noon.
Among the skaters: New assistant coach Larry Carriere.
The stands are crowded with fans who will probably bug out at 1 p.m. when the doors open for Boxing Day sales at the nearby Dix-Trente mega-mall complex.
• No Brian Gionta, no Scott Gomez, no Ryan White, no Andrei Markov
• Lines: Moern-Plekanec-AK46, Max-Pac-Eller-Cole, LL-DD-Cammalleri, Blunden-Nokelainen-Darche
• Pairings: Gorges-Subban, Diaz-Gill, Kaberle-Emelin, Campoli-Weber
• New logo on the practice jerseys. The keen eyes of Dave Stubbs and Jess Rusnak are picking it up as “Subway”. “Sub-par” works.
• During skating drills, Randy Cunneyworth is down in a corner. Jacques Martin used to stand against the boards at the red line.
• It’s Subway on the jerseys. And Reebok. We’re your source for all the important Habs news.
• Power-plays: Max-Pac-Eller-Cole, Kaberle-Subban | AK46-Plekanec-DD, Diaz-Cammalleri Swining in and out: Campoli, Weber
• Practicing two-man breakaways. An infrequent game situation but it’s got everyone skating.