Multimedia: HIO at practice

Moen

Update: Mike Milbury faces charges

AUDIO from Jacques Martin and Erik Cole

VIDEO from the room:

•  •  •

The Canadiens are holding a team meeting at 11 a.m.
There are pucks on the ice, water bottles lining the bench … which suggests there will be a Friday practice.

For five guys.

Louis Leblanc, Yannick Weber, Peter Budaj, Travis Moen and Michael Blunden.

Moen is first out, skating and stretching, somewhat gingerly.

Off-ice workout for everyone else.

Jacques Martin will talk to the ink-stained wretches and broadcast scrum monkeys at 11:30.

Video to come.

1. HabFab says:

Just noticed the London Knights are playing on SNP, is Tinordi playing?

EDIT; just announced Tinordi on way to US WJC camp.

2. Bill says:

In defense of Cammalleri, I can only say it is typical of many fans – of all teams in all sports – to slag a guy the second he runs into a rough patch. And in his case I feel it is unwarranted.

I don’t agree that he is “lazy” or “disinterested”: everything about him suggests dedication and focus.

This is not a player who is supposed to grind or check. He’s a pure scorer. He’s not doing that much so far this year, but I would say it’s not because he’s floating.

First, there’s been an awful lot of bad luck: can’t even count the posts and near misses. But that will eventually even out. Second, he’s been hurt, and I’d wager he’s playing hurt right now. Third – and mainly – this is not a guy who should be playing for JM, who cavorts the Darche type of player. This passive, “defensive” style hurts a pure scorer. The most confusing thing Bob Gainey ever did was hire JM and sign Cammalleri at the same time. And if you think Cammalleri looks frustrated and disinterested, I have a feeling I know where it’s directed at.

• Habsolutely says:

thats the way I feel about it as well. My gut tells me a few players have quit on JM.

• kholdstare says:

Okay fair enough you have provided lots of excuses for the guy, but what about Gomez? Getting slagged off is this guys job, where is his defensive post? What about JM? JM has the second best penalty kill in the league, yet everyone here wants his head on a stick.

The demand is perfection, except when you like a player, (I’m not saying you personally), but the overall theme here is that some guys seem to get a carte blanche.

• citizenSanto says:

Righteous! You sir are a:

Handsome
        Articulate
        Brother

—————————————
        Hope has two beautiful daughters. Their names are anger and courage; anger at the way things are, and courage to see that they do not remain the way they are.
        — Augustine of Hippo

• Clay says:

Martin’s coaching style is perfectly suited to the penalty kill. It’s offense that is the issue. Where’s the power play? Where are the in-game adjustments?
        As for Gomez…he’s been in a 3 year slump, and is the highest paid player in the history of this organization. Why should anyone defend him?

__________________________
        “Talent is a gift from God, but you only succeed with hard work. Yvan was proof of that.” – Jean Beliveau.

• HardHabits says:

If Martin is so good at defense the Habs should demote him to assistant coach. He could then handle the penalty kill, the defensive strategy and defensive zone coverage exclusively. The Habs could then hire another coach to handle 5 on 5 play, the forwards and the power play. Like a coach that utilizes the Habs speed and skill to aggressively fore check. The type of play that Habs fans got a brief glimpse of right after Pearn was replaced, demoted, moved, or whatever corporate speak gibberish the Habs want to call it. Maybe it’s saves the team from paying that bonus.

• Clay says:

I’m down with that.

__________________________

• Bripro says:

I agree with you in saying that he might be playing hurt.
      It certainly seems that way, because the energy isn’t what it was last year.
      And I find that he’s somewhat of a defensive liability, or rather ineffective. And for that reason, I’m surprised JM puts him on the PK.
      If he can’t provide offensively, than he’s not worth much to the team, no matter how hard he tries.
      If he turns it around and plays like he did in the last two playoff years, then we’ll all be very satisfied, I’m sure.

• HabFab says:

I think too that PK has had a problem since before training camp. Have noticed him pulling up in physical hits since the season started. Perhaps back or abs?

• Marc10 says:

He’s not disinterested. He’s sulking and is not putting in the effort.

Cams is a smart hockey player. His skill set is up there too. That’s probably why it’s hard for us to watch a guy not put his head down and try harder instead of coasting to the bench.

JM is never going to punish this guy. He’s in the Gill-Gio-Gomer-Pleks-Gorges-Price super vet/team leader category and he’ll get his ice time no matter what. JM’s lost the room before and so will die with his leadership core rather than bench them. (At least that’s what my impression is… can’t confirm it of course…)

So Cams should realise that with this great power… comes great responsibility. And that means being the best damn winger on this team 90% of the time. As he once said in his first season (and I’m paraphrasing here): “I’m paid to score goals and excuses are just not good enough.” And I might add, he’s handsomely paid too…

I don’t see why Travis Moen is a better player most shifts than Cams this season. Heck, DD, Patches, Cole, Eller, Pleks and AK are better… He’s hanging with Captain G, Darche, Nokia and Gomer right now. That has to stop. This team doesn’t have superstars outside of #31 so there’s really no excuses…

No excuses. Not for this guy. He’s too important to the team’s success.

• WindsorHab-10 says:

His slump started at the beginning of the season and is still going. What do you want us to say. He has contributed absolutely nothing.

“Hate the Ole song like a sickness”

• sheds88 says:

i agree Bill, this is a prime example of being thrown under the bus when a player isn’t producing. Everyone wanted price gone instead of Halak, then AK46 isn’t producing (last year at times) and people wanted him gone. People were pissed about the Cole signing, then the Kaberle trade ( still TBD but has multiple points so far ). Look how it all panned out . I myself am guilty at times too. But we need to chill out and support our guys instead of suggesting trades. We’ve all seen what Cammy can do when he is producing. The guy is a world class sniper. Now JM on the other hand, needs to get the %&# out !!! Mr. Hartley SVP

_______________________________________________________________________
      i don’t know why they keep comparing Carey Price to God………i mean he’s good, but he’s no Carey Price.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Do you think that some guys like Cam and PK actually train too hard in the summer?

• HabFab says:

Same thought has occurred to me.

• sheds88 says:

Sure seems like it. They both seem mentally drained too

_______________________________________________________________________

• Marc10 says:

Maybe… I was expecting huge things from these guys and something is definitely up… They aren’t half the players we are used to seeing.

That’s the thing with past performance… it kinda sets the bar for what’s expected. Right now that’s working in Moen, AK and Kabi’s favour (people are getting more…)

Not so much for Cams and PK…

• Un Canadien errant says:

Interesting question. My gut is that they don’t since they do most of their work off-ice, doing dryland training and strength and power work in the gym. That reduces the chances of repetitive strain injuries. It also gives them a mental break.

Another reason I think maybe not is that they’re not improvising, they have professionals design their training programs and follow them day by day. If they got into an overtraining zone, these pros would catch it, there are many indicators for overtraining.

I do think these guys are more than entitled to a good month off where they can go to the lake and beach and Vegas and just blow off some steam and have a few beers, don’t do any training, just have fun and play softball and go for a surf or wakeboard and hang out with their friends and family. That must do wonders for their morale.

———————————
        How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• LA Loyalist says:

I think you are 100% right on this issue, what the hell was Bob thinking? I guess he thought he was replacing Koivu with Gomez and Gionta, and Kovalev with Cammi?

Maybe he will write a book after he retires, and somewhere in between the bread baking recipes will be an explanation…

3. JohnBellyful says:

V asked earlier today for an explanation of the Martin’s system (I assume he meant hockey, not digestive). After considerable research I’ve come up with a description: It’s six-foot-three, weighs 219 lbs, and has been around for 24 years. It also goes by the name of Carey.

• HabFab says:

I actually felt sorry for Patrick Lalime there for a second…or maybe it was gas?
      Gone now, whatever it was.
      Okay, poor Carey!

• LA Loyalist says:

Martin’s system is the “prevent” defense from bad football coaches. Give up 90% of the field in an effort to prevent the long bomb.

Rarely works, destroys the D’s confidence, and usually results in the coach getting fired. Doesn’t work often in football or hockey.

Counting the days until JM is fired.

This is what someone posted in the comments section in Calgary Herald re Milbury’s story.

Icewalker

12:03 PM on 12/16/2011

I was there and this is what happened: He grabbed the JERSEY of a kid who repeatedly tried to start a fight with his son, and asked him what his problem was. It wasn’t during a game, it was during a skills competitio n. This is going to get blown out of proportion because every body wants to think he’s a maniac. I’ve known him for over 30 years and he’s a family man, kind soul, and would NEVER ever hurt a kid.

• Habsolutely says:

He’s a “kind soul”??
      uhhhh ya, thats the feeling I get watching him on TV, definately a “kind soul”.
      Sounds like a Bruins fan who wrote that.

• HabFab says:

Do you know if Mark Recchi was in town??

• LA Loyalist says:

that’s hilarious. He’s not allowed to touch a kid, period.

If a kid tries to start a fight with my kid, my son has permission to pop him back. My kid, who is only 8, has been butt-ended, cross checked, tripped and slashed — and that was just in the last 2 games.

Scott Neidermeyer, whom I used to admire, was coaching the team my kid was playing, and sent out a huge (and I’m sure over-age) boy to paste my kid into the boards (in a non-checking league) for spoiling his goalie’s shutout in a lop-sided win.

I told my son to get used to it and that he has permission to defend himself, and to stick up for his goalie and the smaller kids on his team.

But a dad racking on a kid? That is just bizarre.

5. HNS says:

Cole should be the captain of this team. This guy brings it every game. If we had 5 more guys like him, you could start planning the parade route now.

• kholdstare says:

I never knew he paid for LL’s parents to fly out to Anaheim. Drop in the bucket I’m sure, but the gesture itself speaks volumes of the guy’s character.

• Danno says:

I was thinking the same thing about Cole. He has leadership skills and does really nice things, like when he bought Louis Leblanc’s parents tickets to fly to Anaheim to catch their son’s first game.

Classy.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• WindsorHab-10 says:

Wise choice. I like him too. Best pick up for Habs in many many years.

“Hate the Ole song like a sickness”

• LA Loyalist says:

Not a bad idea. Did we ever name a captain after Saku?

6. Habsbill24 says:

So Milbury finally found somebody he can beat up, a 12 year old. So who is the gutless puke now? Typical Bruin.

7. SmartDog says:

When I’m right, I’m right. And when I’m wrong, I admit that too.

I think I was wrong about the Cole signing. I didn’t hate it but I was not thrilled. I thought this was another ‘overpay’ for a guy who might put up 20-22 goals and not do too much else.

Cole’s dedication to the team, to the players, the WAY he’s played, very hungry, always driving through the D, is such an incredible breath of fresh air, it’s awesome. And the guy just seems like a good dude – a friend you’d want to have. The stories of what he’s done for Patches and for LL are really the kind of things that show a true mensch.

And in his interview last night, I expected the same boring stuff, but he actually looked like he was listening to the question and gave smart, interesting answers.

Wow. I think I’m in love.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Marc10 says:

Ditto. And I’ll now confess to being completely wrong about Kabs…

Turns out they’re both large contributors to the team. I don’t think anyone is slagging off Cole now… Holy foot speed Batman!

In Kabi’s case, the fact that he looks like a number 2 in our lineup really screams out how inadequate our D crew is, but hey… he’s doing the job.

Imagine if Cams and Pleks put in those kinds of performances night in night out! We’d be sitting pretty in 4th or 5th. But why would this team make life easy on itself? Let’s just crawl in to the Show on the very last day of the season…

• Bob_Sacamano says:

I admit I was right about Cole. Great player, have been a fan of him since he played for Berlin. With better hands he would be a 90 point player. Well, then we could not have signed him…

Kaberle? A little bit early. He´s really helped the PP but 5-5 he looks like a number 6 at best.

Pleks usually contributes when he doesn´t score, Cammalleri
        doesn´t.

• SPATS says:

Agree about Cammy but Pleks? Imagine if he didn’t have to play PK and face top 6 every shift… he never phones it in.

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

• Marc10 says:

I know Pleky puts in the effort, but I’m just not seeing the inspired play that has made him special.

He’s a better all around player than DD (more foot speed, better puck protector, much better defensively, better shot…) but right now DD is completely showing him up and deserves his PP minutes… (DD has the best wingers on the team, but you know… I don’t think Pleks would do any better playing with those two…)

No question though, he’s playing with Cams and that’s got to bring you down. When it ain’t going Cam’s way… he sulks… and sucks.

• kholdstare says:

Awesome post. My faith in habs fans has been restored. Takes a big man to admit you jumped the gun on kaberle, wish some other haters would come forward, you know who you are.

• citizenSanto says:

An early Christmas miracle.
      Thank you baby Jesus.
      ;-)
      nice to see a lapsed Habs fan come back to the fold.

—————————————
      — Augustine of Hippo

• The Cat says:

Agreed. How can anyone not like Cole! Captain material for sure.

• WindsorHab-10 says:

He represents the “CH” well & wears with pride. Too bad others don’t.

“Hate the Ole song like a sickness”

• LA Loyalist says:

Don’t try and sniff his butt, Smart Dog(tm) but I agree, he’s been a breath of fresh air after some of the loser free agents we’ve had.

8. Chuck says:

I’ve looked on YouTube for video of the Milbury incident with the kid, but all that seems to come up is him with his shoe, and getting tuned by Larry Robinson. :)

9. HabFab says:

Was that the beautiful Andie Bennett to LL’s side at start of the video? Have not seen her in awhile, how is she doing on CBC Montreal?
    Some pretty funny stuff in this blog today, great work. It is funnier when one of our villain’s stumbles…although Punkster is correct in wanting to hear all before judging.

10. montreal ace says:

The flyers have had Ian Laperriere on the injured reserve list for quite awhile and I wonder if they have more money to spend as he signed his contract before the cap went up. Today we find out Pronger is going on the list, as he got concussion symptoms while getting well from a knee injury. I dont want to be harsh on Pronger, but in a matter of 3 weeks, he has gone from the knee injury to season ending concussion. I think the flyer use injuries to get around the salary cap and Weber will be a flyer shortly.

11. TheDagger says:

Just wondering… who here would trade Gomez for Redden straight up right now?

• stevieray says:

Who the heck would wnat Gomez..we are stuck with him …Didn’t he promise he was gonna work hard over the summer to redeem after his woeful performance last year …how’s the workin out Scottie !!
      Rumor has it he’s good in the room ….so maybe , as one poster commented, he should stay in the room !! what really peeves me is he also decided to wear # 11…Koivu’s old # …. which he has also embarressed !
      I don’t miss him one bit ….and really don’t care whether he returns this year or next …..
      I also will not make any more comments about him …he just plain sucks and has got to the worst move this once storied franchise has ever done ….
      I feel better now !!!!

• hfotwc says:

i’d trade gomez for anything. even a used, worn-out, unwashed jockstrap.

• NCRhabsfan says:

In a heartbeat, but perhaps not for the reason you think. Redden has never been a Hab and never would be. He would be a Bulldog. But because the Habs wouldn’t harbour any false hopes about some sort of career revitaization, they could clear the cap space.

• TheDagger says:

You think so? JM used to coach him AND he is experienced… that’s a recipe for d-pairing #1 here. Would you do it if he was to play with the Habs instead of the Dogs?

• kholdstare says:

More D? Nah we just need Cammalleri to start earning his regular season money. Dont give me the “all is JM’s fault ” excuse, or “he is a new Dad”. No one can defend his recent play, and if you want to start getting ugly about it, his contract isnt far off gomez’.

• WindsorHab-10 says:

Just take him. I don’t want anything in return.

“Hate the Ole song like a sickness”

I can’t stand Milbury. To me, he represents everything that is wrong with the NHL today.

Having said that, he has only been charged, not convicted. I think we need to keep that in mind when commenting on the situation here on HI/O.

One of the great NHL players gets his number retired tonight.

14. shiram says:

Martin thinking about playing Emeling with Gorges so Emelin can play on his natural side.

“The best defense is offense.” — Jacques Martin

15. ont fan says:

Well V..how’d you like the answers from all the coaches around here

16. BigBird says:

This just in: Milbury fined $2,500.

17. V says:

Always reading a lot about the Martin ‘system’. Would love to have someone explain the ‘system’ to me. Also would love to learn how it differs from any other coaches ‘system’.

Shouldn’t be too hard to get someone to do this. Judging from the number of people who write blaming the ‘system’, I should have 40-50 responses in a few minutes.

But really just looking for one.

• shiram says:

this

“The best defense is offense.” — Jacques Martin

• DearyLeary says:

Well, the ‘system’ is an amalgamation of systems. Offensive zone, neutral zone, and defensive zone.

The purveying feeling is passivity in all three zones.

In the offensive zone there is a timidity in maintaining pressure; they tend to release to the neutral zone a lot quicker and under less duress than a lot of other teams. Many times it’s marked by one player deep with two players high and the defensemen showing a reluctance to pinch.

In the neutral zone it should be no surprise that the team traps (as does almost every team in the league, I couldn’t name one team that doesn’t try to trap in the neutral zone). But again it’s marked by passivity, far too many times does the trap that’s supposed to result in turnovers is instead turning into easy access into our zone.

In the defensive zone it is again a passive system. It’s a box plus one (which again is pretty standard around the league) which is marred by passivity. The idea is that you should be able to play 2 on 1 in any area in your zone by having loose zones covered by players (which can be interchangeable at times). The system is marked by a lot of congestion in the slot (or the “house”) to minimize clean scoring opportunities and maximize blocked shots.

Now, none of these systems are inherently wrong. They all have their purpose in the game, and are widely used around the league (with variations from coach to coach). Where Martin’s ‘system’ differs from a lot of coaches, is that philosophically he wants his players to favour defence over offence.

You can see the philosophy at work in the way Plekanec’s line plays. It’s often one chance then they release to their trap. I disagree with Martin’s philosophy. As teams collapse to the net more readily the league has become more of a second chance scoring league (you can see this with the abundance of goals scored off rebounds and within 3-5 feet of the net). When you’re putting pressure on other teams it’s a lot easier to play in ‘the dirty areas’ to get those goals.

When you’re reluctant to play in another team’s zone (as the Canadiens have been under Martin in his three year tenure, and that just may be a coincidence but I think not) it spills over into the other zones of play. Far too often the neutral zone trap goes unsprung and results in an easy dump in. The defensive zone coverage becomes timid resulting in a lot of fatigue in defenders allowing teams to get to those ‘dirty areas’ to score goals. It also results in a lot more injuries when you play off the puck more than you play with it.

It’s a philosophical thing. I think that Martin coaches with a reluctance to commit, and I think that in today’s NHL you can’t rely on goaltending and special teams. Waiting for your chances isn’t the way teams win the Cup. You have to be proactive and try to create with the puck. That requires a deal of skill, which Gauthier has provided to an extent; I think we’re still missing a 1A talent in the forward core that can create offence almost singlehandedly.

Those kinds of talents come almost exclusively through the draft. The fact that this team has been right down the middle of the road for the last few years makes it very difficult to develop high end offensive talent. I love Patches, and he’s probably a 30 goal scorer in this league, but he’ll never be a 100 point guy, which is increasingly becoming a necessity in this league if you want to win.

• shiram says:

Thanx for that Leary.

“The best defense is offense.” — Jacques Martin

• kholdstare says:

for what? rambling? V didnt ask for all types of coaching systems and in what zones. V asked for JM’s system, and Leary’s only answer to that is he coaches philosophically. That he prefers defence. So yes Leary thank you for rambling, but it couldve been said with shirams end quote and still doesnt answer V’s question.

• DearyLeary says:

I described how Montreal plays in all three zones. There are little things that differ from coach to coach: breakouts and transitions from zone to zone get a little finicky and are hard to pin down without watching tape to look for patterns (and while I love watching the Canadiens, I’m not going to watch their breakout hundreds of times from different situations to see what Martin likes).

I stated that systematically he employs 3 widely used systems in the three zones of the ice. The problem is that he’s so set in those systems that it allows for little flexibility. If a player has to think about a decision they almost invariably take defensive position and release pressure.

This speaks to coaching. So while the systems aren’t esoteric and difficult to understand (reference my simplistic breakdowns on the three zones paragraphs 2-4). You can ask for different emphases on the way players play within those systems. Martin obviously favours a defence first approach in all situations. How many times this year have we seen the team unwilling to commit forward even when down a goal or two?

That’s the problem. When players are unwilling to press forward it encourages a timid style of play (again if you’re not picking up on this you’re blind) which lends itself to losing leads.

Keep in mind that hockey is a fluid game. Systems provide structure, but the fluidity of the game means that you’re going to adapt to situations that aren’t always replicable in practice. This means that your philosophy, and your willingness to weigh risk to reward has a lot to do with how a coach operates. Martin is ruthless when it comes to benching young players for making mistakes; it’s another part of the game that’s passed him by, it’s a young man’s game. The peak of players careers is shifting towards the mid 20s. But I digress.

Yes, we could break down what we don’t like about Martin’s Xs and Os every time we get upset with the way he manages a game. Or we could refer to it as his system and address the mistakes made as a result of said style of play. Some people might not understand what ‘the system’ is, and simply refer to it lazily, which undermines their point from time to time; but it doesn’t discount the fact that this team plays passively, and it’s obvious that it comes from the coach’s direction.

• Bripro says:

I’m assuming that the passive system you’re speaking of is specifically of the Habs, correct?
        Because I don’t see much passive behaviour in certain teams, especially the Bruins.

• DearyLeary says:

Yes I believe the passivity is passed on down from the coach. But make no mistake, the Bruins trap in the neutral zone, and they also play a pretty passive defensive system. They insulate Thomas very well, and Chara playing 25+ minutes pretty much every night is a big problem.

• G-Man says:

Great description of the system.
        The one thing I don’t agree with you is on the team’s tendency: ” It’s often one chance then they release to their trap.”
        The Habs last night, with Kaberle and Emelin were pinching and keeping it in the Flyers zone for about a minute. Granted, they were down a goal and it was getting late in the 3rd.
        The thing that’s the hardest to watch is if the line is on the ice for about 40 seconds in their zone, the shift is over. Hence, the dump it out to the retreating D, change lines and start again in your zone.
        The biggest thing I take issue with on this team is the reluctance to hit, and that’s by most of the players. Hockey is at heart a very physical game and watching the players wave their sticks on the ice (and not closing the gap to separate a Dman from the puck) is nothing short of frustrating.
        I believe this retreat tendency is a gap problem created by Habs D coaching. Being ready to retreat isn’t the same as giving up the neutral zone. When the D take the easy out- backing up- the forward is forced to close the gap by giving up the zone. It’s like watching dominoes, in a way.

18. montreal ace says:

I guess Milbury can tell the judge it was a fair fight

19. shiram says:

Apparently Cole invited Leblanc over to his house over the summer, Leblanc could not attend because of his shoulder injury.

Cole just keeps amazing me with his commitment to the team.

(french)

“The best defense is offense.” — Jacques Martin

Yah, a great signing. Hopefully he can maintain this for 4 years. We have some good youth about to make team in 2 years who would be well served to learn from Cole.

• habsnation says:

In LL’s interview post game he mentioned Plec, Cole, and Kaberle as guys who he can learn a lot from. I may be reading too much into this, but doesn’t that just show which players are stepping up and mentoring the young guys and which aren’t (Gionta, Gomez, Cammelleri). I know Gill has also been a huge mentor to both Georges and Subban. We need more vets who understand their roles as mentors and help build the next generation on the team

20. gohabsjoe says:

Milbury is such a moron. Hopefully this means he loses all his tv contracts. Can’t stand listening to that idiot.

Based on the report by Boone above, sounds like Moen is now skating like Lafleur, rather gingerly

Now if JM has found a way to make Moen skate like The Flower, no way he gets fired nor should he be.

22. mrhabby says:

now that pronger is out ..flyers go after shea weber. flyers need a force on the blueline and the preds need some offense…wish our GM had that mind set…just saying.

23. Bripro says:

Mill-bu-ry Bush – Any of several deciduous trees of the genus Moron

24. montreal ace says:

HIO has more or less judged and convicted Gomez of non playment of salary, I find it harsh as he has not had many games this year.

• SmartDog says:

LOL Are you for real?

Martin gave Gomez EVERY chance under the sun to score. It’s incredible how patient he’s been with this guy. He sucked all last year, then stood in front of his team and the media and said he’d come back better, and had one assist in his first 7 or 8 games while playing on the periphery. Except for the one game (against the Rangers) he’s been mediocre to bad.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

There is no defence for Gomez the way he played last year. However, he got injured day 2 of Training Camp and hasn’t been healthy this year. I think he was trying to play through this groin pull or whatever it is from the start. That said, as a result of his play last year, he wore out most people’s patience.

That is life though, I still hope he proves all of us wrong, but each day it gets harder. There is ability and talent there, but I don’t think the ship ever gets righted here, his confidence is completely gone.

• montreal ace says:

I was bored and just wanted to see what the response would be, I want him in the ahl as maybe he can find his game there, lol

25. SmartDog says:

Kudos to Mike Milbury for showing kids how to behave the Boston way.

Here are some other comments on the story:

“If Mike wanted to hurt that kid, he’d be in the hospital now, not out whining to the press and the lawyers.”
    – Claude Julien

“I checked the kid out and he’s okay. Not a scratch.”
    – Dr. Mark Recchi

“I like meat.”
    – Dino Chara

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

26. Mattyleg says:

CBC finally posted the Milbury story.
    Along with a “This story is closed to commenting” note.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

27. Psycho29 says:

Ron McLean: “Listen Don, we wouldn’t be doing our jobs if we didn’t address the Mike Milbury attack on…”

Don Cherry: (Interrupting) “Don’t you tell me how to do my job you pinko tree hugger!”(as he pushes McLean’s hand away from his side of the desk).
    “ROLL THE VIDEO!!!! Ok there’s little Milan Milbury…..a fine broth of a lad! You can see that the blade of his stick got caught accidently in that puke Olaf Sedin’s full shield! So Sedin pushes him! So naturally little Milan gets incensed and clubs the little Sedin…I mean, what else is he supposed to do?”

Mc Lean: “Ok Don…..but I have to play devil’s advocate here, little Milb……”

Cherry: (Interrupting) “What do you know about playing hockey? You mamby pamby turncoat! I played a lot of years in this league and…”

McLean: “Well you know Don, in all fairness, you only played one NHL game, and….”

Cherry: (Interrupting) “Shut up you!!! Most of the people watching don’t know that! You idiot!!!! Anyhow…..now we missed it all with yer yammering…..but there you see Mike Milbury in handcuffs being led away by the Police. I spoke with Milbury’s lawyer, Colin Campbell, and he says that these charges are bogus against Mike, him going on the ice and shaking that kid was a normal hockey play and…..”

McLean: “We’re outta time! Mike Milbury……soon to find out that in jail there’s a new meaning to butt ending the opposition; on coaches corner…..”

28. Danno says:

I guess this puts an end to Milbury’s broadcasting career.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

29. Dr.Rex says:

Lets see if Colie can get Milbury out of this mess.

30. Dr.Rex says:

The most alarming aspect of last nights game was the lack of effort and coordination from both Pleks and Cammy. WIth the “2nd line” playing so well all we really need from the other top line is a little contribution from time to time but this has not happened. COmbined these two make up 11 million and their recent play has been pathtetic.

I know Eller has Skillz but more has to be made about his 5 goal pace this season. IF JM has misused this talent sooo bad that we have a blossoming star being ruined then that alone is a fireable offence.

Last note: Mike Milbury is a hypocritical slug who has no place anywhere near the NHL.

31. kempie says:

Milbury. Class act all the way.

32. Habsolutely says:

Is it true that Milbury beat that child with his own shoe?

What a day here today, first I hear about Milbury, then i read what i hoped was a possible trade involving Gomez to Phoenix, but then I read/saw something that has me in disbelief. Jacques Martin has crossed the line, now he has eaten Shiram’s poutine and is bragging by smiling in Shiram’s avatar. I am appauled and demand justice!

34. The Dude says:

Justine Trudeau just called Jacques Martin “a piece of sh!t !”….Next elections vote Trudeau!

35. habMAINEac says:

In my opinion the Habs played just ok against a tough Phily team. Was it a good performance? No. Was it awful? No. It was just a typical mediocre game…..and it’s a total shame: a so-so team with a distant glorious history but a cloudy future.
    I love the Habs and will never desert them, but am sick of being disappointed. It is disheartening to watch how we sit on one-goal leads, how we give up leads, how we can’t kick butt, how unmotivated we are, etc.
    It is also sad to see some fans on this site continuously blame a player or two versus trying to see the big picture:
    Our problem is not that Gomez can’t play, or that PK gave up the puck, or that Budaj played. Our problem is that we have the wrong players for JM’s system OR we have the wrong system for this group of players.

When the system is fixed, or the player roster has been revamped then I think we’ll see major improvement. Until then we should only expect mediocre results: “win some, lose most”. Les Glorieux should be renamed: Les Mediocres :(

Mediocre teams work at their best; teams seeking excellence strive to do better.

36. homerbowen says:

Given that “bullies” are no longer swept under the rug and are now front and center in terms of unpopular would now be the time to remove from the public airwaves two of the biggest bullies who are paid out of our tax dollars…21) Mike Mikbury and 2) Don Cherry. Can’t wait to see McLean and Cherry suck up and make excuses for Milbury on Saturday night. Hey Don (Cherry) how do like rocking and socking a 12 year old boy? Hey Bully Boy (Milbury) your 59 pick on ypur own age.

37. nick says:

RE: Mike Milbury – According to Puck Daddy
    Tomorrow is his last night on CBC before he moves permanently to NBC. This was in the works before his incident with the 12 year old occurred.

So the question is – given this news… Is he on the air tomorrow night?

• Jim Edson says:

Will he be allowed to cross the border into Canada?

Foreign national with criminal charges pending!

It would be an interesting interview with the immigration folks!

Also can he leave the US with a bond in place?

———————————————————————-
      What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

They tell him what they want done and he works to make it happen through his subordinates while making sure that individual franchises play by the rules.

******** Translated if you haven’t won the Stanley Cup in 40 years your NHL team is becoming irrelevant in a sports mad city long behind MLB, NFL and NBA teams, you just tell the commissioner(who you gave a new contract at 7 plus million per) to make it happen and the rules are bent sufficiently to action the command.

38. Sean Bonjovi says:

I’m having trouble finding this Mike Milbury story on cbc.ca. Did I just miss it, or are they pretending it didn’t happen?

39. --Habs-- says:

There’s only one of two things to do with Gomez. 1) Play him until the end of year and try to dump him for the remaining lesser contract. But even at 5.5 next next we can’t trade Year after that he’s at 4.5 which is still over paid unless he has a revelation. 2) Eat the salary, send him to Hamilton so he’s off the cap and hopefully he’ll retire for the owners sake. If he’d be a gentleman being a very rich one he’d retire and save himself the embarrassment of being the biggest bust in NHL history! He’ll be part of the record books but not the type of records he’ll want.

40. JamesBonedOO7 says:

I think it is time to scratch Cammalleri for a game. I would understand if we have to wait for one of Moen, Gio, or Gomez to come back but seriously this guy needs a wake up call. When he is not scoring he is, to put it bluntly, nothing more than a turnover machine.

• JamesBonedOO7 says:

and/or consider the possibility of a line of LL-Eller-Cammy. Plekanec has suffered enough with 13 on his wing, and Eller has suffered enough with plugs (other than AK)

• SteverenO says:

Never going to happen. The coach is feeling the pressure. He is no longer coaching to win, but instead trying to keep his job.

Its been a while now that I have questioned his competence. I know that he is nit a good coach, but some of his moves are beyond stupid, they are totally inexplicable and indefensible.

Well, I have finally realized, thanks to a wise old friend, that while he is a terrible coach he may not be an altogether stupid man.

The way to keep your job, or prolong in this case, is to be sure that you do not piss of the veterans. A Camalleri, or Plekanec, or a Hal Gill starts questioning coaching moves, or shows signs of unhappiness with the coach, or the system, the management begins to question his usefullness, and they start making plans for his replacement

Martin knows that young players cannot speak out against coaching decisions, ice time, etc.

(The one exception was Pacioretty, when he was quoted as saying he would rather play in Hamilton then get 4th line minutes).

I think its time that some leaders stepped up. The veterans should be demanding that Martin give the kids a chance, give them more ice time, more PP time, let them play a few shifts with “better” linemates, etc.

This needs to be ONE team to be successful. We are going nowhere, and will continue to go nowhere, if it remains the veteran’s team with young players filling in, given a minute here and there, grudgingly.

Cammy should say , Coach , let the kid play a shift in my spot, I could use a breather. Gill should say when we are behind in the third period, Coach, I got a cramp, let a younger and More offensive d-man take my shift. Plek should say, coach, I am playing a lot of tough minutes and it is hurting my offensive abilities, Let Nokkilainen kill a penalty now and then, he`s pretty good at it you know?
      Gomez has to say, Coach maybe I should be kept off the PP, at least until I get my scoring touch back..

Dreaming? …………maybe.

But, if the management won`t fire the bum, the veterans have to stand up and be leaders.

I am not sure of there is even any point to keep up the “fire the coach” series on you tube http://www.youtube.com/user/Firethehabscoach

It obvious by now,even the coach knows he is done. There is no other explanation for his actions. “Our young players made mistakes” my ass! He;s trying to avoid the inevitable.

Stick a fork in him, he`s done.

Steve O.
      Qlik View – Data Discovery.
      Every team needs it- Every coach needs it.
      Every fan needs it!

41. TheDagger says:

One reader’s comments from the Calgary Herald about the Milbury charges:

“REPORT: Mike Milbury was offered only $5,000 bond, but instead negotiated a deal for $1,000,000 and a first round pick for his release.”

Awesome.

42. V says:

Milbury a Bruin great according to Boston Globe. Boston has quite the standard for greatness.

If you ever see the headline, ‘Jean Beliveau Accussed of Assaulting Child’, put your head between your legs and kiss your ass good bye because the world is about to end.

43. kakey says:

OT: I was watching The Soup (with Joel McHale) last week and one of the (uninvited) guest jokingly ranted, out of the blue, that his Winnipeg Jets will finally not spend the majority of time in Florida after realignment, to the bewilderment of the host, and probably most of the show’s TV audiences. This is the last show that I was gonna expect anything hockey related. Maybe one of the writer is a canuck.

44. WestHab says:

I wonders if Mike Mulberrybush will be attacking kids on the ice when his kid is 18.

45. shiram says:

Price to get the start in net saturday. Budaj against the Jets seems likely.

Maybe Markov sometime?

46. Mattyleg says:

A very disturbing study has just revealed some sobering facts.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

47. habfan53 says:

Remember when a 6 million dollar man was all powerful

to paraphrase Nixon: If the Bruins do it, it is not illegal

48. V says:

Chuckling at all the fantasy trades below… I would be shocked if there is a trade unless there is something about our current injuries that is more serious/long term than we know.

The team is holding it’s own – can’t see anything happening until we get a series of games under our belt with as close to a full roster as we can reasonably expect.

49. CF says:

We will only win when:
    1) We pick up a truly impact player, ie: Shae Weber. If Toronto can give up two first rounders and a second for Kessel, we can do it for Weber. Or….whatever it takes.
    2) Our fourth line is not made up of left overs and plug ins.
    3) Martin is no longer coach.
    4) Gomez’s money is used for a real 7 million dollar man.
    5) Along with number one, we have at least two D men that can stand up to players like Lucic and Thornton.
    6) A few rookies/freshmen/ start to finish in the realm of 20-25 goals per season. ie: Eller, Leblanc. No team wins with a few 30 year olds scoring 25 a year. We need someone to provide real spark. One like Leblanc made last night. Too bad we didn’t have the team to capitalize on the crowd noise, or something we used to hear all the time- a standing O. It’s an ingredient we haven’t had for years. Patches is doing fine, but we need a real young star up front. Not easy to acquire, especially when you finish 7th and 8th consistently.
    7) PG is no longer GM.
    Seriously, can anyone see winning without these happening? If we can complete #1 for Weber, then number 5 is half taken care of.
    Should a top GM, a GM of the Montreal Canadiens not strive for this.

• Higman says:

I think the only thing that needs to happen is a coaching change.

I might be really off, but here are a few thoughts about athletics in general, based on my years of participating in them and watching.

First of all, most males are roughly the same size and strength. Sometimes, a male will have enough genetic difference to put him outside the average. So, HG is a giant compared with DD. However, HG will never go up ice with great speed and make a marvelous pass. Conversely, DD isn’t going to lay on the ice and take away the bottom half of the net on a PK. A coach MUST know what his players are genetically suited for and make sure they get time on ice in situations that make sense for the kind of player they are.

Second of all, although there is a genetic average among players, what sets one player out from another is PREPARATION. This is a combination of things: diet, workout regime, skills training, strategy and game knowledge, attitude and mental readiness, and etc. A lot of our players seem to be determined to go beyond their genetic boundaries. Cammy is big time into getting physically prepared, or so we’ve been told. Even Subban is known for taking on demanding workouts. All of this work can even out genetic disadvantage. Does Martin prepare individuals on the team in any challenging way, so that they go beyond their personal limitations?

Last, I often wonder about the “team” aspect to Habitant preparation. What are these team meetings Martin holds? Do they review plays, have open air sessions to discuss problems, or new look at direction for upcoming games? How a team comes together and plays together matters as much as individual preparation
      I look at this team and can only see the “symptoms” of bad coaching. I don’t get to go behind the scenes and see what Martin is actually doing, so I could be way off. Nevertheless, if this team was up to speed with all the above mentioned things, then they shouldn’t be having as much difficulty competing with other teams.

50. eric says:

I hope PG doesn’t make some stupid trade to save his job and JM’s job

• nunacanadien says:

Which is worse, to go part of the way knowing JM and PG gave us exciting hockey or to go all the way knowing JM and PG spared no cost or trade to get us a cup? Having said that, Gomez even on his worst day could not really be that bad. Ok, some bad. But not bad enough to breach a contract or force him out and buy him out like others we done to before. You do that all the time and no one will want to come to Montreal. We need to just put up with Gomez until the world decides it’s had enough of him and the world forces Molson and Bettman to force a trade. Until then the NHL board of governers couldnt’ give a rat’s arse about us and they’d say you signed him, you got him, he’s your’s to do with as you please.

51. Mattyleg says:

Hey everyone,
    Mike Milbury just attacked a 12-year-old boy on his son’s hockey team.
    We’ve heard enough about parental violence associated with hockey, the last thing we need is someone who has done that kind of bullsh*t appearing on our national broadcaster.
    I strongly recommend that you write to the CBC and demand that Mike Milbury be taken off the air.
    Here’s a link to the article:

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• sevenman says:

once a Bruin always a Bruin

• Pucker Up says:

Shannasham will make sure that he gets off without a suspension.

• DD says:

Maybe he should get his lawyer to see if he can change venues, and let the NHL’s disciplinarian Colon Campbell’s lap dog, ‘Bending Shamaham’ discipline him. That way, all he’ll have to do is wear a black and gold sweater with a big “B” on the front and he’ll get nothing but a comment like, “Well there was no intent, and Mikey has never beat up a 12 year old before. Anyway, the punk asked for it, he was wearing a red, blue and white sweater”

• Jim Edson says:

Milbury finally picked a fight he thought he could win!

A 12 year old!

———————————————————————-
      What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

• V says:

Milbury has a son… the film Dumb and Dumber flashed to my mind and I am ashamed. I am only posting this as an act of contrition.

• habsfan0 says:

Milbury to give new meaning to “Hot Stove” on HNIC.

• TheDagger says:

Seeing lots of “Who Cares?! Go Bruins!” comments on the article. Pretty much sums them up.

• diehardhab says:

Best part is when they call Milbury a “Bruin great”

The torch be yours to hold it high!

@MTLJosh

• 24moreCups says:

Hopefully I never have to hear him on HNIC ever again.

• Jim Edson says:

FYI

‘David.Masse@CBC.CA’
      ‘Anita.Adams@CBC.CA’
      ‘Tim.Knapp@CBC.CA’

The three blind mice of CBC Sports.

Good luck, I am sure you will get a smarmy reply which insinuates you are the one at fault!

———————————————————————-
      What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

• Mattyleg says:

Here’s the letter I wrote, you can use bits of it if you like.

Dear Mr. Masse, Ms. Adams, Mr. Knapp,

I am writing to voice my concern that HNIC analyst Mike Milbury has been arrested for assaulting a 12-year-old boy at a hockey game.

The serious problem of parental violence in youth hockey is something that the CBC has already rightly spoken out against, and to think that a CBC hockey analyst has become part of this problem is very troubling to me.

I sincerely hope that you seriously consider removing Mr. Milbury from any future participation in HNIC, and elsewhere on the CBC, in order to maintain your stance against parental violence in hockey.

If I continue to see Mr. Milbury on the CBC, I will be forwarding a complaint to my local MP.

I hope you understand the gravity of this issue, and I trust that you will make the right decision in this case.

Thank you very much for your time, and I look forward to hearing back from you concerning this.

Yours,

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• secretdragonfly says:

Maybe someone should lock Milbury and Matthew Barnaby in a room and they can beat each other to death with their shoes.

• Stuck_in_To. says:

Milbury is a puke but even I am going to wait until the allegations are proven before demanding his resignation. I am perfectly willing to believe Milbury capable of this but stringing him up without due process is a classless act more appropriate for fans of the Bruins.

• Mattyleg says:

“Classless act?”
        Gimme a break.
        Calling someone ‘classless’ says far more about the person saying that than the intended target.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Stuck_in_To. says:

Is that the adult version of “I’m rubber and you’re glue”?

And I called the act classless because I don’t generally find your posts, or those of others happy to join this particular lynch mob, knee jerk and ill considered. But you are welcome to jump to whatever conclusions about Milbury and me that you want.

52. Higman says:

You know, this site has become a lot like Martin’s “System”.

First the fans get the Stu Heckle report of the opponent.
    Then, we get the old game day set up by Boone.
    Then, we get the usual Live Blog.
    Then, postgame Mutimedia.
    Then, the About Last Night.
    Then, the morning round up of other articles.
    Then, Mutimedia about practice.

This is just about as predictable as Darche jumping on the ice for 17 minutes. Maybe, if all this griping about the system is gonna happen, all our creative journalists could lead the way with a little change up of their own.

53. ont fan says:

Wow Pronger can’t drive, be in a well lighted room or be around any real noice . Absolutly won’t be back this year.

54. HabsFan1111 says:

My blockbuster proposal o the day:

Cammy, Gomez, Weber and a pick
    for Iggy and Bouwmeester

Thoughts?

• nbsjfan says:

Good heavens I’d do it in a minute but lets get serious. The Flames would laugh their butts off on that one. Here’s a more reasonable approach

Gomez to Hamilton
      Cammy, Weber and a first rounder for Iggy – maybe that mike pique their interest . . . .maybe.

• G-Man says:

Calgary wouldn’t go for it. After Iginla reaches 500, maybe.

• HabsFan1111 says:

K how bout the same deal, but we throw in one of our top prospects (eg one of the 3 on Canandian WJC team, Leblanc or Tinordi)?

JBo has been disappointing since joining the fLames and look what they ‘accepted’ for Phaneuf AND Aulie! If there’s anyone who would consider taking Gomer and Cammy I think it’s them.

Still not holding my breath by any means, especially considering the conservative trades PG has the guts to make.

• G-Man says:

Sutter made those trades- Feaster won’t.
          Nothing wrong with a “conservative” trade to make the team better. Kaberle for Spacek; conservative yet already the O is better.

55. sprague cleghorn says:

Former Bruins [team stats] great Mike Milbury has been charged by Brookline police with accosting a pee-wee hockey player a week ago and now he must report to court to answer to the charges.

Police today said they have charged Milbury with assault and battery on a child, threats to commit a crime and disorderly conduct in connection with his alleged verbal and physical attack on a 12-year-old boy during a pee-wee exhibition hockey game last Friday night at the town-owned Larz Andersen Rink in Brookline.

Milbury, 59, of Needham, now an NHL analyst for several major networks in the U.S. and Canada, will be summons to Brookline District Court to answer the charges.

His attorney has not responded to several calls from the Herald. He also declined to speak with a reporter at his Boston office this week.

The incident allegedly occurred at the end of the Winter Classic between the Boch Blazers for whom Milbury coaches and his son plays forward vs. the Boston Junior Black Hawks. It is alleged that after Milbury’s son and a player for the Black Hawks got into a scrape on the ice, Milbury charged out onto the rink and verbally berated and grabbed and shook the 12-year-old opposing player.

‘ow could we forget dat?

56. billylove says:

The NHL is just pathetic. Watched the NHL Network last night and the spin they put out is ridiculous. They actually tried to say that all the concussions taking place is a GOOD thing because it shows that teams are protecting their “assets” and players are taking “responsibility.” Absurd. Concussions are not good and the NHL is in denial. Bigger, faster players make for more violent collisions and more, much more, needs to be done to limit these violent hits. Concussions will occur in any contact sport, but if the league doesn’t act to limit big hits, more players will be lost.

57. Chrisadiens says:

Mike Milbury assaulted a 12 yr old last week. Scumbag.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

58. ont fan says:

They aren’t going to fire the coach before Markov comes back. It’s not the money..that’s peanuts to the Molson’s. There isn’t anybody out there that’s going to make a differents. They can afford to wait for the better players to start scoring.They aren’t that far out of the playoffs. It doesn’t help when they clear the puck up the middle and can’t score o 5 on 3’s…… Milbury assulted a 12 yr old at a hockey game

59. HabFanSince72 says:

One of the many H I/O memes is that the problem is that Molson doesn’t care about the team because the money’s good. This one doesn’t even make sense:

1. He overpaid for the team probably because of sentimental attachment. As a pure business decision it isn’t clear that it was such a good deal.

2. The Habs have consistently spent the cap.

3. The Habs re-tooled the entire team two years ago, and signed something like 11 free agents. You might not like the free agents but you can’t accuse the team of standing pat like -say- Carolina.

4. The Habs have consistently tried to improve the team. Again, I realize you all think you would have done a better job in that parallel universe, but picking up players like Cole and Kaberle suggests the team isn’t content with staying put.

In fact a team that didn’t care would probably trade away its high paid veterans and tank.

• shiram says:

Good points HFS72, maybe Molson should get a bit more involved then.

Maybe Markov sometime?

• Un Canadien errant says:

Thank you! I’m sick of reading posts enjoining Mr. Molson to fire everyone, right now, in the middle of the season, even without a clear plan for the future.

Geoff Molson has owned the team for barely a year now, he is still getting his feet under him and getting to understand the business. The last thing I want him to do is go in guns blazing like a George Steinbrenner. I don’t want him to play fantasy hockey with my team, to aggrandize his ego by playing GM like Jerry Jones does with the Cowboys.

I’ve seen Mr. Molson interviewed on RDS, and I liked what I saw. He spoke flawless French, didn’t at all seem like the rich spoiled kid some posters make him out to be, but rather a guy who got lots of advantages and made good use of them. He plays hockey himself, he’s a hockey dad, talked about how much the Canadiens meant to him, to his family, and the province of Quebec. He talked about stability and winning the Stanley Cup. A couple of days before the interview he’d spent time online checking out the Habs ticket site to see what they were up against and whether it can be improved.

Mr. Molson, I know you’re reading this, please don’t make any rash decisions to please the pessimists and alarmists. In your position you’re the best person to know how those in the organization are performing and when changes need to be made.
      ———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

60. gp52 says:

I was just reading Darren Dregers column on TSN. He says the Canes were offering a second round pick to the team who would take Kaberles contract. I can understand wanting to dump Spaceks salary but how come Gauthier didn’t get the pick?

61. Where is Dr. Recchi these days? With all concussions happening this past couple of weeks, Dr. Recchi is nowhere to be found?

Is it possible Dr. Recchi is spending to much time examining Andre Markov? It will be 2 weeks Monday since his operation. What’s the status on Andre Markov and can someone provide up dates on his wereabouts and what therapy he is doing for his knee.

Dr. Recchi are you in the house? What’s the deal on Andre Markov after having his knee scope again?

• sheds88 says:

Habsolutely Yes ! that’s what they need once in a while. that kind of emotion too often can be a negative but i guess a Good Coach knows when to go off and when to hold back. We get so many sh*t calls against us we need that kind of passion. maybe the players would respect the coach more

_______________________________________________________________________

• G-Man says:

The Great Boucher, with Lecavalier, Malone, Stamkos and St. Louis is 13-16-2. Not very good for God Himself, is it? But, he can sure yell, can’t he?

I just caught wind of a discussion that took place between three unnamed NHL executives pertaining to rule changes.

1st is they are talking to equipment manufacturing companies to come up with getting rid of the armor above the waist, in favor of a much softer fabric by next year.

2nd the reimplementation of the red line, for a host of reasons. It was eliminated to speed up the game and produce more goals in a game, but the opposite has occurred by teams playing trap and defense first hockey.

It was third party information that I received.
    If I hear more information on this I will let you know.

• The Cat says:

Although bringing back the red line is the solution, theres no way the NHL and Bettman will say that the NEW NHL will revert to the OLD NHL.

When will people understand – Molson doesn’t care. He just does not. The only way he will care is when people stop going to the games and pay for the piss poor excuse of a beer that he is selling.

• Higman says:

Right, Molson doesn’t care because he’s making money. But, I’m no so sure he’s content to watch his team be losers. The only kind of people I’ve met in life who “like to lose” are apathetic, and I have met too many genuinely apathetic people; and Molson doesn’t appear to be all that apathetic to me.

• nunacanadien says:

There is such a thing as honoring the contract with your GM or coach. They need a good excuse to fire PG or JM I am sure. It would be interesting to see what type of air tight contracts PG and JM were offered before coming to Montreal. This has an impact on the corporate management of the habs. Look at how we are still on the hoof for Carbo for instance. Come on Pierre Gauthier and Jacques Martin, pull those furniture tags in the Habs management office….please, any reason to find a new GM and coach. We’ve had enough of this going soft and hoping the league will punish the tougher players, that ain’t gonna happen. The habs gotta get tough or keep losing like they do.

64. J.J. of Turku says:

I think Price needs some rest too. He’s as close to superhero as a man can be, but there is a risk JM ruins him with playing too much, like Sutter(?) did to Kipper in Calgary.

• shiram says:

Price is on a pace for 71-72 games, and the Habs gave a 2 year deal to Budaj to lighten Price’s load.

Maybe Markov sometime?

• Higman says:

I get the impression Price doesn’t care to sit much. He seems pretty consistent whether he plays 3 in a row or whether he gets a break.

What I’d love to see from him or his team mates is a little push back when people get is his crease and run him. I imagine that being run would be the most draining part of the game physically and mentally. How much less energy he’d have to spend if his mates would clear out the garbage that goes on in his crease.

• J.J. of Turku says:

That’s true. Price is so competitive person that he might not see what’s best for him? I mean everybody wants to play, but maybe 60-65 games would be enough for a one goalie?

• Higman says:

Oh ya, for sure. He’d play every game if he could. Imagine Price liking to give games to Budaj!

Jacques: “Hey Price, you wanna play or do you think Budaj should have this one?” (Not that Jacques asks what his team thinks – but I’m pretending here).

Price: “Ya, give Budaj this one. No biggie. A rest would be nice. Give him next game too.” (Bizarre-O world Price – never gonna happen like this).

65. “You don’t notice the referee during the game unless he makes a bad call… and I like to get noticed! “

-Chris Lee

66. Higman says:

It’s awfully quiet here lately…

Maybe Consumeristmas shopping is keeping people busy?

Or is Habs hockey so exciting we are speechless?

3 or 4 years ago a friend introduced me to this site. I got into reading interesting analysis from both the journalists and the fans. But this year has been unlike others: there’s not much to analyze. Most of the talk is about injured players, poor coaching, and under-performing vets. Gone are the days of talking about exciting wins, creative plays, interesting players. Everything seems so ordinary. Ah the pains of being a Habs fan.

I would love it if more journalists took a chance like Jessica Rusnek (sp?) and asked a creative question once in a while… poor Mike Boone is sounding like a broken record with his About Last Night stuff – mostly cause the team’s a broken record.

67. Old Bald Bird says:

Nobody is having fun: not the team or the fans. What’s the point of ploding on in this way? It’s time for heads to roll.

68. TomNickle says:

Turris to the Habs for Gomez, Diaz, Weber and Kristo.

My prediction.

• shiram says:

Can’t trade an injured player.
      See Blair Betts.

Maybe Markov sometime?

• TomNickle says:

You can when the team accepts the injured player. Habs sent him back Shiram.

And the only “rule” that says you can’t trade an injured player comes from LTIR. Which isn’t the case here.

• shiram says:

Well who would want an injured Gomez then??
          I mean I’d like the Habs to get rid of Gomez, but it just seems very unlikely any team would take him on.
          Even if next year is salary is lower than his cap hit.

Maybe Markov sometime?

• TomNickle says:

There have rumblings for quite some time that the Coyotes want him.

They like that they can try selling him to a southern market being a “Gomez” and all. Also like that his salary deflates in the next season but maintains a high cap hit.

• shiram says:

Hehe so they like him for everything except his hockey skill, well if that’s true I sure hope PG is on the phone!
            My only fear is if they have to sweeten the deal for another team to take him on, wether it’s by adding prospects or picks, I’d rather he helps the Bulldogs.

Maybe Markov sometime?

• Ali says:

unless the team knows hes injured, Flyers said he was healthy when he wasn’t.

• AllHailTheFlower says:

Isn’t the league still “running” the Coyotes franchise? No way do they sign off on a deal that will make the Habs a better team.

69. LA Loyalist says:

Counting the days until Martin is canned like cheap sardines.

Man this is painful.

• Ali says:

You mean you don’t enjoy seeing Mathieu Darche plod around the ice for 16 minutes a night?

• SteverenO says:

When is the coaching practice?

I still can`t believe that Martin did not allow Pacioretty or Desharnais to play even one second when we had the two man advantage. what about Weber ( he has three PP goals this year, which is more than Cammalleri, Subban, and Kaberle , COMBINED!)

If this coach is still here after Christmas, the management is laughing at us fans. (all the way to the bank)

Check out the FireTheCoach #4 now available on you tube;

He even called a time out to make sure that Cammy and Pleak were not too tired.

A time out that could have been used late in the game when we needed to rest our big guns and go all out for the tying goal.

The fact that this coach gets paid big money to do such a lousy job is mind boggling.

I would be ecstatic to have any one of these guys back… Julien, Carbo, Vigneault, Therrien, . In fact I cant think of a single coach that could possibly do a worse job.

Fire the coach!

Steve O.
      “why did we lose?”
      “The problem is that our coach makes too many mistakes!”

• TommyB says:

Agree with you on Martin’s use of the timeout. Only down one goal early in the game, and going to a 5 on 3 powerplay. How desperate for a goal was Martin? He could have put the second PP unit out for 30 seconds or so, and then come back with the first unit. And there didn’t appear to be any play diagramming, just resting of the players who he wanted on the ice. Not to mention, giving the Philly PKers a nice rest as well. You could turn this one around and around and say that had they scored a goal, or two due to the two penalties, the timeout would have been a great move. But would it have been? That would have put the Habs even or ahead by one goal, but with a lot of hockey left to play. Would have looked good for awhile, but I think the timeout was wasted, and could have been better used in the final few minutes.

70. LA Loyalist says:

re “practicing 5-hole” for Price

Oh that it were that simple.

Forwards try and create movement in the goalie to create gaps, of which the “5-Hole” is one.

When a goalie is in the zone, he is purely reacting to the puck, not to whatever noodle the attacker is doing. If a goalie is in correct position, then he can often wait out the attacker, who is in motion and hopefully under duress. It’s a bit of a game of chicken.

There are exceptions. A lateral pass across the front of the net, for example, is extremely dangerous because if forces the goalie to move, creating said gaps.

Finally, shots along the ice are very dangerous, actually, though all the little kids of course want to raise the puck. Unless you are a butterfly goalie in down position, you have to be very good with your stick, and know how to get your glove or a pad behind the stick.

If Price is having difficulties with certain situations, what’s up with his coaching? He is probably trying to do too much. When goalies think, the result is generally not good.

I think once those 5 guys get the system down, the team will be set for a big run.

Blunden, practise sitting. Louis sit beside Blundy, Yannick take some point shots then sit with the other two. Peter pretend you are going to play then sit. Mr. Diaz, I am neutral on what you should do.

72. Dr.Rex says:

I have never watched a habs game where the crowd was so silent and unattached to a tie game in the thrid period. DOes the team really need to play this boring?

The only time they show any life is after we have fallen behind or when COle is on the ice. This style of play puts the team in position each game to lose if we make one mistake. Instead of forcing the play and creating our own luck we put the gam in the hands of the other team and when the team is the Philly Flyers most likely they will take advantage. ITs becoming very disheartening to watch and despite the mirage of a .500 record it feels much worse.

73. Bripro says:

Carey has to practice his five-hole. I’m sure the word is out to target this area of weakness.
    The entire first period, the Flyers shots were along the ice.

74. shiram says:

Shooting, PP and faceoffs drills please!

Maybe Markov sometime?

75. habsfan0 says:

The only way it’ll happen is if you agree to reimburse Geoff Molson for the balance of JM’s contract and the $2million early termination clause that JM somehow finagled out of Habs’ management.

76. Chrisadiens says:

Im on the road heading up to MTL, and Im just hoping JM isn’t behind the bench tomorrow. (For JM’s sake) I fear my father may do something to JM. :)

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

77. TommyB says:

Don’t have to fire him, just assign him to other duties. Give him a broom.

78. habsfan0 says:

Jacques Demers was a custodian(janitor) at my elementary school years before he got involved with hockey. Maybe he can give JM some pointers.

79. G-Man says:

Tomas only played 57. Playing more than 60 is stupid. Wipes out the #1 before the playoffs start.

80. shiram says:

Gomez and Martin for Crosby and Bylsma!!

Maybe Markov sometime?

81. Mattyleg says:

But…but…but…
    …Burkie…?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

82. Ghosts of the Forum says:

The Bulldogs need some scoring down the middle

83. SmartDog says:

You’re probably right. It’s more likely he’ll be sent down. But even that won’t happen until they HAVE to which means until they need to sign Price, Subban, Gorges, etc. to new contracts which is probably next summer.

While I was watching the game last night I had this little flashback to Gomez skating a dramatic circle through the neutral zone while the two forwards stood, getting cold at the blue line… and I thought “this is such a better game without having to see that”. Yeah, it’s a simple thought, and few people want my input on Gomer now, but it’s nothing personal against they guy, I just think he’s unwilling to play like the rest of the team – or like a top line forward needs to.

Isn’t it odd how a few weeks ago people were suggesting that DD couldn’t fill his boots, and now he’s our #1b center and doing great at that.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

84. habs03 says:

For the next 2 season, he carries a 14.7 cap hit, while only being paid 10M. Owners that want to get to the cap floor only,Stars, Islanders..see Gomez contract as a savings of 4.7M in actually dollars. To say there is zero chance is simply not true.

85. shiram says:

Thanx!

Maybe Markov sometime?

86. HabsFan1111 says:

There are terrible trades in the NHL every year, are we not allowed to hope we can actually benefit from one?

If Brian Campbell’s albatross can be traded, Gomez’s can too.

87. shiram says:

You seem rational about Gomez, but I get that some people are tired of hearing about him.

Maybe Markov sometime?

88. shiram says:

Gomez was already traded once in an awful trade, chances are if he gets traded, Habs get fleeced.

Maybe Markov sometime?

89. Mattyleg says:

Difference there, HF111etc, is that Brian Campbell is the NHL’s top-scoring defenceman.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

90. Curtis O Habs says:

Gomez can`t provide that.

91. SmartDog says:

Do they need scoring or circling?

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

92. HabsFan1111 says:

That’s not the point though, he was traded coming off a dreadful 27 point season. If anything, Campbell’s success could work in our favour of rebound-season possibility

(I am fully aware I am grasping at straws here, I’m just trying to be optimistic I swear)

93. Mattyleg says:

Haha!
    Yeah, I hear ya.
    Perhaps Gomer just needs a warmer climate to bring out the Mexican within (Phoenix?)… or a colder one to unleash his inner Alaskan (Winnipeg?)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

94. HabsFan1111 says:

Those Mexilaskans are a difficult bunch to please … come to think of it, he’s probably the only one on the planet

95. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

cal clutterbuck for gomezbucks

96. nunacanadien says:

Or HFS72, how does that explain standing beside Gomez in spite of his horrible record?

97. SmartDog says:

I was thinking that too. I didn’t want to indulge in that kind of wishful thinking… but I do think it could happen.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

98. JohnBellyful says:

Must be. Haven’t received Martin’s Fired! alert yet. I chose that one over the other subscription service, Martin’s Still Hired. I tried it for a while but I kept getting alerts every minute.