HIO at practice, with video

Practice

The Canadiens began their Monday with off-ice training.
An appreciative gang of schoolkids lined the glass at the Brossard practice facility as strength and conditioning coach Pierre Allard led the players, wearing shorts and tees, through stretches and exercises.
The team was on the ice at 10:30 and off by 11:15.

• An evacuation alarm sounded at 11:05 a.m. Don’t know whether it’s a bomb scare or Rene Bourque scored. False alarm … in both cases.

* Scott Gomez, Mathieu Darche and Travis Moen are skating in powder-blue/no-contact jerseys.

• Carey Price, Andrei Markov and Josh Gorges have therapy days. Ryan White is sick and Petteri Nokelainen has an upper-body something or other.

1. Krzysztof says:

Price having a concussion.

2. habstrinifan says:

Heard a really bad scenario put forth by Darren Dreger that some GM’s are not only against an amnesty clause for a ‘bad contract’.. you know where you get Gomez off the books entirely without penalty… but they are also seeking to shut the loopholes which allowed Redden to be sent to minors and Huet to Europe.

If that were to happen there would be nothing Habs can do about Gomez.

• Chris says:

That was discussed on Saturday night by the CBC hot stove panel. I’m all for it…I think teams should absolutely be stuck with their contractual messes. That gives the salary cap more teeth and indirectly helps reign in salaries.

3. adamkennelly says:

going on record as saying there is no way Molson and Savard are dumb enough to hire an “unqualified” GM/coach – tandem after this debacle of a season. I expect Brisebois to be made GM with Roy as head coach – surrounded by very qualified and experienced assistants – one of them being RC.

4. DorvalTony says:

Looks like Budaj will play remaining 3 games due to Price concussion like symptoms. Fortuitous timing? Conspiracy? LOL

Thanks for listening, Geoff Molson.

5. Kooch7800 says:

Cammy has 18 goals and Bourque has 18 goals and Bourque makes 3 mill less a season and we bash bourque.

I wonder if anyone in Flames land is unhappy with Cammy. Feaster has screwed up that team. They need to blow it up and start over.

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• DorvalTony says:

I don’t bash him. But he needs to pick it up, he’s sleepwalking out there.

Thanks for listening, Geoff Molson.

• shiram says:

Well that’s not the whole story, now is it?
      Cammy has 9g/7 in 26 games for the Flames.
      Bourque has 5g/3a in 35 games for thr Habs.

• Mattyleg says:

I’ve been thinking about Bourque (I know, it’s uhealthy, blahblahblah, talk to my shrink. I don’t have a shrink.) and I think the double-whammy of the suspension and the trade effed him up but good this year.

He was putting up some decent numbers for Cgy, and then got suspended. Any kind of suspension will throw a monkey-wrench into your game. It’ll have you second-guessing everything.
        Pair that with a trade to a new city, system, etc etc, you’ve got a guy who doesn’t know who he is anymore.

He can’t play his old game, because that got him suspended, and he’ll have trouble settling in because nobody (including him) knows what his role is.

Bad timing, I think.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• shiram says:

I have hopes that he will pick it up next season, but he was terribad for the Habs this season.

Maybe with some months off, he can regain some mojo.

• boing007 says:

Poor Bourque, how he must have suffered after putting Backstrom out of commission for forty plus games with an elbow to his head. Guess its tough to get your groove back after such a dirty play.

Richard R

• Kooch7800 says:

Actually Shiram it kind of is……in Calgary he was playing with Iggy and Tanguay…..bourque has been stuck with Pleks who is really struggling as well and a mash of wingers…and no 1st wave PP time

I agree that Bourque has not been good as a hab so far but I have a feeling next season he will play like his old self and score around 25 goals.

I am just glad Cammy is gone

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• Ton says:

I like, a big body that can skate………great shot and please look at the bad luck he had around the net this year…….post after post…..remember he is playing for a bad team. if the habs rebound like many of you say they will……look at survey regarding making the playoffs> I think Rene will play a big role with them doing so. good trade in my eyes.

• neumann103 says:

But that is what bothered me most about Bourque. The lack of finish on good chances. It was especially clear in the games I saw in Buffalo close up.

Nobody is perfect but Bourque’s conversion rate on great chances just seems surprisingly low. Plekanec set him up with multiple plays that Pacioretty would bury 50% of the time and Rene strikes out. I don’t know what it is because he clearly has shown the ability to finish as evidenced by the previous 3 seasons.

“Et le but!”

6. Danno says:

There’s talk about Price having a concussion.

Has anyone confirmed this?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

7. theox_8 says:

Now correct me if I am wrong but from what I remember at the 2005 entry draft when we picked price , I’m pretty sure PM didn’t want brule picked ahead of price , but a big center man in Kopitar. I vaguely remember PM talking about how we had the chance to fill a need we had been lacking for years (big center man) , but I might be wrong?

• madeirahabfan says:

I think your right I remember some one at TSN thinking the Habs should have gone with Kopitar, his scouting report at the time seemed like he was made for the habs.
      I know I wanted Kopitar, my Jaw hit the floor when they did not call his name. Just the same, I think Carey has delivered. I don’t want to start a debate about having Kopitar and Halak.

8. PeterD says:

GM Question…

How many NHL teams will approve of the Habs talking with or signing one of theri Assistant GM’s prior to the Draft and July 1st free agency dates.?
    Why would a Detroit or a Chicago want to let the Habs have one of their top executives who has been intimately involved with recruitment and draft prospect analysis and UFA planing…wouldn’t that be a little like giving away your trade secrets immediately prior to draft and UFA season?

I don’t know the answer to these questions but if I was an NHL team I would only allow conversations with my staff some time after July 1 not between now and then.

With that in mind does the fantasy list of candidates get a lot smaller? And that would sort of complicate things for the draft and RFA/UFA season for our team.

• Habsrule1 says:

Ever had a job interview without telling your boss?

To be honest I don’t know if it’s different with contracts. Good question. My assumption would be that no employer is going to stop his employee from furthering his career, but that might be a little naive on my part.

Go Habs Go!!

Agree, typically most teams allow their employees to move on provided the move is not a lateral move but rather a promotion. Just as we allowed Boucher to go to Tampa to become a Head Coach. The exception to the rule is Nill in Detroit. They have given him a contract that pays on scale with GM’s and therefore have included a clause not allowing him to leave even if it is a promotion to GM from Asst. Toronto asked for Nill and Detroit told them no.

• PeterD says:

Under contract terms I think talking without permission would be considered tampering and there would be penalties possibly even conmpensation required if we signed the guy without permission.

I think it is a big difference between letting a coach go for a promotion to the NHL level or to GM level…for example Boucher from AHL to NHL.

But in Julien Brisebois case he wasn’t signed by Tampa until July 16th…so a full two weeks after the Free Agent frenzy and well after draft day.

I agree though that is poor style for a managment team to block someones progress in their career, my question is about the timing of the approval to talk to a quality guy in another organization…without a GM in placwe prior to the draft and free angency we may be in a bit of a bind to make key decisions.

I guess Lacarrie and Timmons could handle the draft table in the absense of a full time GM in place.

• Chris says:

Not permitted in the NHL…that is the definition of tampering.

Montreal was one such employer that actually DID prevent teams from interviewing their people, as seen in the case of Kirk Muller.

Other times, such as the hiring of Claude Julien who was the property of Edmonton at the time, the teams will negotiate some sort of trade in exchange for permission to hire the person.

• joeybarrie says:

How would the Habs feel if someone took one of their assistant coaches prior to the season beginning? If there is a GM position open, every NHL team should assume their assistant GM is considering it.

• habsnyc says:

The general rule across pro sports is that assistant gm’s and coaches request and are granted permission to interview for gm and head coach positions even during the playoffs. it happens all the time in the NFL. if they interview without asking, while the team is still playing, that is tampering.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

9. joeybarrie says:

Not that I’m against Julien Brisebois. But I’m curious. I see people saying he is an excellent choice.
    WHY?
    Assistant GM in Tampa for almost 2 years. What do we base our assumption that he is a good option?
    Again, not against it. Just curious what is making some say he is going to do a great job. He is 34, a lawyer having worked in sports law and current capologist for the lightning.
    So I ask again. WHY?

• shiram says:

He’s a Québecois, I’m mostly steering clear of new GM debates, but that’s about all I can add on Brisebois.

• Dr.Rex says:

I think alot of people are asking the same question now that the smoke has cleared a little.

• Cal says:

Capologist- negotiated contracts for Habs for Hamilton. Experienced dealing with scumbags- er, agents.

• Phil C says:

He was an arbitration lawyer representing teams in the NHL and MLB, so he understands how to assign value to a player. I see that as a huge asset in a hard cap system. He has also been a GM for two years in Hamilton with a lot of success. He is now the GM in Norfolk who are in first place in the AHL, while also acting as the asst GM with Yzerman in Tampa. And of course, he is bilingual.

I personally like the fact that he has management and leadership experience as a pro-hockey GM, with success. He is not a former player, so he would need a very good asst GM if the Habs were to choose him. They already have Timmins in place to cover whatever Brisebois lacks in player evaluation. Overall I think he is a very good option.

I have never heard him speak, so I would be curious to know if he is a good communicator.

• 24 Cups says:

I could ask the same question about Patrick Roy. What has he ever done except be a French hero for Hab fans (up until he quit the team that is)?

Running a junior team in the provincial Quebec league is a far cry from the Show.

10. Dr.Rex says:

Random Monday thoughts:
    1) It appears the people who want McGuire to be GM the most are haters of our beloved franchise. Many feel McGuire will bury us in a abyss so deep that we may actually be able to identify with Leaf fans a little.
    2) Tomas Plekanec has recorded his 50th point on the season. This despite playing in a defensive role with very little support from his wingers. Whoever is callign for his departure please stop forgetting to take that little purple pill the doc insisted you need.
    3) The dismissal of the GM and the possibility of a top three pick has managed to put a small positive spin on teh season. A season like this was bound to happen eventually with the constant patchwork we were doing. The hole we are in is no bigger then that of the Flyers in 2007. Very similar in many ways.
    4) Leafs still suck bad.
    5) As each day goes on I see Julien Brisebois less as the guy to take the reigns. I do like what I hear about Marc Bergevin and Jim Nill however.

• Habsrule1 says:

1) I am the furthest thing from a hater. I just think McGuire should get consideration and an interview. Everyone knows he knows more about prospects than anyone else. We just need to know if he also shares the Habs vision for the future and if he is capable of getting us there.
      2) I like Plekanec and would like him to stay. That said, if a package including him can fetch us a player that would improve the team, I’m for it.
      3) Agreed. If the sens can turn things around, so can we. I actually think the Habs have a better chance of it. Something tells me the sens season is a bit of a mirage/fluke.
      4) No kidding.
      5) All 3 of those guys deserve major consideration and my guess is one of them will get the job, with Nill being the darkhorse because he doesn’t speak French (as far as I know).

Go Habs Go!!

• Dr.Rex says:

I fear with McGuire the risk is far too large for the possible reward. The Montreal Canadiens have too much on the line right now to take this chance. If I was teh owner of the Blue Jackets or OIlers I would certainly give him a legitimate chance. BUy sure, what harm can an interview do.

• habsnyc says:

I agree, GM is a very techinical job requiring great financial analytics and a good eye for talent. One without the other is not helpful.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Habsrule1 says:

Agreed. The thing is we don’t know which, if any of those skills McGuire also possesses.
            As long as the Habs look for someone instead of just taking someone in the organization or appointing a former player.
            If Damphousse gets it, for example, I’ll be extremely dissapointed.

Go Habs Go!!

• habsnyc says:

no one is calling for plekanec’s departure. but if the team has younger centers that are as good as him and cheaper and he could be moved for a younger player then it is worth evaluating.

plekanec has peaked as an athelete. at some point, he will be in decline. montreal has bottomed as a team. some people believe that montreal will take 3-4 years to rebuild at which point TP will be too old to contribute meaninfully.

so if someone believes that there are younger centers on montreal who could do as well as Plekanec, that Montreal will not contend for a few years, that montreal could use younger cheaper players and that montreal is not in a position to get better wingers for him then it is worth exploring alternatives. anyone may disagree with any of these premises. but that is the thought process behind considering trading Plekanec.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• naweed235 says:

mind elaborating on why you think Brisebois is not a good candidate?

• habstrinifan says:

WOW! I guess there really is a fine line between love and hate… which makes me hurt so much for our beloved franchise in the state it is now.

11. When Patrick Roy left it was because there were two roosters in the hen house. I do not see any roosters behind the bench at the top level. It takes a more flexible approach.

I would have no problem with JM again. The man out coached several in the almost made it year, and the knock on the playing style has everything to do with the talent his GM gave him and their limits.

Give him some scoring talent and the team can run and gun as well as play D. He didn’t have a healthy Cols and Patches, with anexperienced DD, a healthy Markov or a bunch of more experienced rookies to ice.

Next year’s team will be strong.

12. naweed235 says:

Give only the name of the guy you want to see as GM

My Choice: Julien Brisebois

13. Mr_MacDougall says:

Question:

I follow the Habs prospects to an extent, and was wondering if any of Beauleau, Tinordi, Gallagher, or Ellis has a shot at making the big club next season. Can anybody give me an idea?

• neumann103 says:

None of them should. If Gallagher has a camp as good as last year there might be pressure to play him. He looked good enough to make the team last year, which is both a testament to the kid and the sad state of the roster.

Any of the D men would be thrown to the wolves making the jump to the big league. They need to get all these kids tons of minutes in Hamilton not ruin them with early pressure and riding the bench in MTL.

Both because of skill and the relative lack of depth in Hamilton coming out of this season, I would not be surprised to see Gallagher and Beaulieu on the list of AHL callups, particularly if for short duration. But they really need to be patient with these kids.

“Et le but!”

Agree on Gallagher, the transition from Junior Hockey to NHL hockey I think is much tougher for Dmen than forwards also. Perhaps later in the season after some time in the AHL 1 of the Dmen could be called up to see how he does.

• naweed235 says:

I think out of all those players Gallagher would be the most likely to make it since he really impressed this preseason and showed he is not out of place in the NHL. He also has consistently been putting up great numbers with the Giants for the last 3 seasons. In the playoffs he had 5G 5A 10Pts in 5 games.
      All that said, I think it is in his best interest if he does at least 1 yr with Hamilton as is the case for the rest of the prospects you mentioned.

• mark_ID says:

Maybe RDS can televise Bulldogs games next year, instead of the Habs.

“Step off George”

• Habsrule1 says:

You know, I bet there would be a market for a few of those games being televised. I doubt I would miss very many.

Go Habs Go!!

• boing007 says:

Even better, move the Bulldogs to Laval. Then you could go in person.

Richard R

• habstrinifan says:

I think Gallagher will and will prosper. But only with other ufa line-up changes made. Sticking Gallagher into this line-up as is wont work..

14. Mattyleg says:

Worked 12 hours yesterday with a dirty, foul and disgusting cold.
    FML.

Laugh of the day: Mario Tremblay when asked if Pierre McGuire is a possible candidate for the GM position: “No.”

Have to say, that’s the first outright NO that I’ve heard about any of the candidates. Coming from him, I’d give it some credence. Can you imagine any GM in the league doing business with “Nice Guy” Pierre? He reminds me of the unpopular kid in school that name-drops all the time to make himself sound more popular than he is. Sad.

Looking forward to going to the game Wednesday. Very much anticipating a Ryan Malone Beat-Down. That clown is a clown-and-a-half.

Also, can’t get my head around TomNickle’s “trade Gorges” kick. I’ve read his reasons, and I just don’t get it. The guy is a leader and would give his right ball for the team. He’s the one who always talks about having pride in the CH. Those are the guys you keep. Plekanec, I love him to bits, and think he is vastly underrated (especially by the memory-challenged on here) but I could see him traded this summer for the right price. It will be expensive for the team that wants him, though. He’s a valuable commodity.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• shiram says:

Pierre : http://i.imgur.com/UalxH.png

Trading Plekanec does not sound good to me, it implies an uncertainty towards Gomez I dislike, that and no one to replace his skillset.

• Mattyleg says:

I would hate to see Plekanec go too.
        I want to keep him, but I’m just trying to appease some of the posters on here who think we have to trade someone good to shake things up.

I don’t think it’s necessary, and I think that posts like those are just aimed at stirring people up and making those posters appear “not afraid to make the difficult decisions.”

eeehhh… so much for appeasement, I guess…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Habfan10912 says:

Hi Shiram. I to have angst over trading some if the teams best players such as Pleks and Gorges but the new GM is the only one whose opinion will matter in the end. If the team does move some of my favs I just hope that we get above market for them. That said, pleks and Gorges are the kind of players you want on your team though, don’t ya think?

• shiram says:

I just see it as a no-win scenario, well at least for next season, if Plekanec is traded.
          Nothing garentees that DD improves, or stays the par next season, same for Eller.
          So I’d prefer they keep what little center depth the team has.

I think Tom’s point is the old adage, you gotta give something to get something. I would hate to see Gorges go, but depending on what comes back you have to being willing to consider it. Reality is he and Plex are not “untouchable” commodities.

• Psycho29 says:

@ Shiram
        Had my first “La Banquise” poutine yesterday….Pretty damn good.

• Bripro says:

You don’t really give anything Mario “single string” Tremblay any credence of any kind, do you?
      Please tell me you forgot your sarcastic face!
      Mario Tremblay….talking about a management postion of any kind in hockey is an oxymoron, from a moron!

I said this on the weekend. I loved his style of play. Hard worker, not too talented but boy was he gritty. He should have stayed that way, in everyone’s memories. Instead, he helped blow up the ship!

• Mattyleg says:

Normally I don’t give him any time, and I think he’s a pain in the ass, but I do think his ear is pretty close to the ground in the CH, and an outright statement like that gives a good idea of what the mood is.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Word on the street is the team wanted him willing to give up his left one, but Josh only offered the righty.

• Habsrule1 says:

Since Tremblay said no, I’d say there’s a better chance than I thought that he gets it.

Does anyone take Tremblay seriously besides maybe Jacques Lemaire?

Go Habs Go!!

• Bripro says:

He didn’t say that Tremblay said no, but rather that his was a definite no about PM being GM.

• Habsrule1 says:

Yes I got that and if Tremblay thinks no, chances are most people think yes.
          To be honest, I don’t see it happening, but I hope he gets his fair consideration.
          I’d be very happy with Brisebois, Bergevin, or Jim Nill.

Go Habs Go!!

• Mr_MacDougall says:

First, I assume you are not a gov’t employee or you’d have stayed home (three weeks of sick days per year).

Pierre McGuire seems like a decent guy when he is on radio and in a more relaxed setting. I do not think he is going to be the Habs GM, at least I hope not.

I actually like Malone, but was disgusted in the way he attacked Emelin, I too hope to see the Beat-Down!

I agree with Gorges being a keeper, he has shown that he is the reason for the Habs amazing PK, which has been great in the absence of Skillzy.

Pleks is a good (not great) number two center, for the right package he could be moved. Same for DD.

• Habsrule1 says:

You and I do not know if McGuire would be a good GM. All I know for sure is that he knows more about prospects than anyone I have ever listened to. Perhaps he does not hold the other qualities that would be necessary for being a GM. That’s what interviews are for.
        If he does not, I think he should be offered another position, whether it’s assistant GM or something else…perhaps even Quebec area Scout. It’s about time we have someone evaluating homegrown talent. I doubt he’d take it, but make him an offer if that’ll help the team.

Go Habs Go!!

• Phil C says:

I very much doubt McGuire would leave his NBC gig for anything but a GM position. He apparently turned down an offer from Ray Shero to work in the Pittsburgh organization a few years ago.

• habstrinifan says:

Which is my point in a post above. If Molson takes his advice from Savard who takes his advice solely from people in the Montreal sphere then I am not optimistic re the choice.

I dont see how you give Mario Tremblay’s opinion on this matter so much weight unless you know that Mario has some influence on people like Savard… which may not be a good thing on this matter.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that if Habs select another pair of former greats (or not even so great) like Roy/Damphousse, or etc, it will be Houle/Trembley all over again in a couple of years.

I mentioned the exact same thing many hours ago Timo, I cannot believe it, but you and I are on the same page! :)

• Bripro says:

Maybe that combination is deadly, and Roy is certainly too volatile, but Damphousse is a very smart man. He’s been on several committees, involved in negotiations for the CBA and union negotiations, etc.
        I’m not so sure he’d be a bad pick.

I understand the idea for fresh ideas, but there is zero NHL experience there at either GM or Coach. Zero. That is scary, but Serge knows more about hockey than me by way more than a country mile. So we shall see.

• Timo says:

Now THAT is truly creepy.

• neumann103 says:

Gerald, On the same page as Timo?

I just threw up in my mouth a little. (I jest, I jest)

I don’t think Damphousse and Roy could be as bad/worse than Houle and Roy. I think it could be a disaster, it would definitely be a big gamble at a time when I don’t think a roll of the dice is what is needed. I posted sometime on the weekend that I think that basic competence and communication (with Fans and other GMs) is what is needed now in the GM chair and suggests a relatively safe pick like Julien BriseBois.

“Et le but!”

• The Jackal says:

What if they picked the Breezer?

• doug19 says:

Gomez as playing coach for next year’s lottery!

• habsnyc says:

given the magnitude of contracts signed these days, it would stun me if the team gave signing authority to anyone that did not have significant front office experience.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• New says:

I agree with you. The only thing more fun would be hiring Tremblay and Roy as co-managers.

• Cal says:

No worries, Timo. This time, the replacements will be French AND credible.

• habstrinifan says:

My fear too.

16. mfDx says:

Is Ryan White really ‘sick’?
    He’s played one 30sec shift since his last fight. ( he left the penalty box with an equipment manager and detoured to the infirmary)

Sent from my CHphone

17. Cal says:

@GrimJim RE: HIO Golf tournament.

Bad idea- Imagine the same arguments with clubs close to hand? Too dangerous.

18. Habs64 says:

Engels I think there are three very viable candidates:

1. Pierre McGuire. Talent evaluation both at the amateur and pro level. Network that includes every facet of the National Hockey League. The man knows everyone and their mom, and knows them well. He can build an incredible management team, scouting department at the pro-level, and improve the already successful amateur scouting team. He has a relationship with most of the league’s general managers, and unlike what some believe, he has their respect too.

2. Marc Bergevin’s name seems to be mentioned quite often. Currently working with an A1 management team in Chicago, Bergevin’s credibility has far reach. As a former player, not too far removed from his career, Bergevin knows both sides of the fence well enough to fill this position. I couldn’t tell you what makes him most fit to manage the Canadiens, but it would seem people in high up places have high opinions of him.

3. I feel the most likely candidate for the job is Vincent Damphousse. Is he the most qualified, is the real question. Beyond a prominent role with the NHL Players’ Association, Damphousse has no experience with management. He’s reputed to have a solid “hockey mind”, and beyond that, he’d be another inexperienced manager in the deep waters of the Canadiens’ pool.

But I feel that Damphousse is most likely because he’d essentially be acting as Patrick Roy’s partner. With no inside knowledge of the situation, it’s purely my intuition that Roy will unquestionably be the team’s next head coach. And he’ll need someone he knows well to make the moves he approves of.

Why not just make Roy GM if that were the case? Because wearing both hats comes with unfathomable expectation, and it puts Molson, Savard and the rest of the team on real thin ice with the fanbase, having Roy–who’s never managed or coached at this level–wear both hats, when none of his colleagues around the league do the same.

Well that doesn’t leave me feeling any better about the teams future. If that is a roulette wheel, I am putting everything on Bergevin then.

• mrhabby says:

i agree about the relationship bewteen vinny and roy. but just a little lite on the experience side…here we go again…regardless of there names they are not experienced at this level…but will see.

your forgetting 1 other name and that is Julien Brisebois. he knows the team and its inner workings very well . works for Yzerman. he would be a very solid choice.

yes to bergevin.

• thorandresson says:

According to Engels’ flawed logic, Brisebois wouldn’t be good enough because he went to Tampa to work with Yzerman and is only a “capologist”, even though he’s been the GM of both the Bulldogs and Norfolk Admirals…

If Glenn Healey spoke french I think his resume could virtually match Pierre MacGuire’s. What a shock how many of these media members are all shilling for Pierre. I guess they all think they will be getting the scoops from their buddy.

• Habsrule1 says:

Comparing Healy to McGuire is laughable. McGuire has forgotten more than Healy will ever know.

Go Habs Go!!

• habaholic68NJ says:

GM: McGuire
      Assistant GM: Damphousse
      Coach: Roy
      Assistant Coach: Robinson

*Listen to my instrumental tribute entitled “Habs at War” at http://web.me.com/ptolias/Music/OtherOriginalMusic.html

• Habfan10912 says:

I like your assistant coach.

• Cal says:

Except for Robinson, I don’t think so, Tim. ;)

• Habsrule1 says:

This is exactly what I’d like to see.
        I wouldn’t mind getting another assistant that has had some success offensively in the league. know Denis Savard has been HC before, but might he take an assistant spot here?

Go Habs Go!!

• Strummer says:

That makes sense.
        Roy and Vinny only works if they have experienced Old school assistants/co- coaches/managers

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• habstrinifan says:

I have poste dmany many times that combination. McGuire with Damphousse as asst. One of the pluses is that it trains Damphouse to take over in 5 yrs time so we would have a full qualified ‘local quebecois’ candidate.

I dont think Roy would be a good fit for coach here. I posted the followin:
        McGuire/Damphousse and Crbonneau/Robinson.

Carbonneau would grow as a coach with Robinson at his side and there would be no power struggles.

• Mutt says:

It may not be fair but after the circus year in Montreal this year do they really want a new GM in the headlines for all the non-hockey related reasons. It very well could cost Damphousse the job..

• LNev says:

McGuire – I will always remember him criticizing the Habs for grabbing Price instead of Brule… mind you he was spot on about Parise… but still. I also wonder why he hasn;t worked for an NHL team (Or AHL/Junior for that matter) in what? 15yrs?

Damphousse – Yuck. No thanks. On going Legal drama is an issue as well.

I’d like someone who is currently/recently worked as an Exec and has a decent track record… I like the idea of Nill, but i think he is quite entrenched in the Red Wings organization to the point of not truly being an Assistant despite what his business card says.

On the other had – a Roy/Mcguire combo would be such a ridiculous ego driven side show that it would be entertaining at the very least.

• Cal says:

Bergevin or Julien Brisebois. The only 2 real candidates out there with good experience and the FF (French Factor).
      My money is on Bergevin.

• Desi says:

Bergevin was part of Chicago’s rebuild — and he did it well enough to help take the Hawks to a Cup win.

He’s the right guy for the job because of the job that needs tobe done — a rebuild.

Nobody’s talking about what needs to happen to make the team competitive, but in my opinion it’s going to involve more than bringing in a key piece or two.

That’s why we needa guy like Bergevin, who has put long-term plans into place and made them pay off.

19. GrimJim says:

Just read SeriousFans prospect report:
    Gallagher scored 5G, 5A in 6 games. Unfortunately the Giants were eliminated in the first round, so he’s done.

20. shiram says:

Interesting “discipline” stuff.
    The list of teams who’ve missed over ten man-games as a result of suspensions includes: Philly (16), Columbus (15), Chicago (14), Edmonton (13), Anaheim (12), Calgary (12), Buffalo (10) and Minnesota (10).
    Are they the dirtiest teams in the league?
    Canucks are the only team that has not been “disciplined” by Shanahan.

21. habaholic68NJ says:

I hope the new management is patient and plans to nurture our youth in Hamilton next year before bringing several of them up the following year when we could legitimately begin to look like a contender for a number of years to follow.

As for next year, assuming a healthy line-up, I think we can actually have a shot at making the playoffs with our existing roaster, assuming we make Gomer disappear and pick up a big mean experienced shut down defenceman.

MaxPac-DD-Cole
    Gio-Plecs-LL
    Moen-Eller-Bourque
    Blunden-White-Staubitz
    Geoffrion

PK-Markov
    Gorges-Emelin
    Kraperle-Free agent or trade
    Diaz

• mark_ID says:

The thing is, I think everyone believe that we will be getting rid of Gomez somehow next year…..with that being the case, that opens up a huge amount of money.

I cannot see MTL not getting a legitimate player come JUly 1st to play on their top two lines. We will be one of those teams that have lots of cap space to play with.

I can’t promise that we won’t have to overpay tho lol

“Step off George”

• Mr_MacDougall says:

That line-up sucks. Sorry, it is not a shot at you, the line-up is just terrible. Moen and LL are not top 9 fwds, one injury to a top 6 fwd and then one of the 4rth liners steps up? Having Moen, LL, and a 4rth in the top 9 is a recipe for Nathan MacKinnon. The TSN panel suggested the Habs “needed” Parise and a bottom six player like Kelly (former/current? Bruin)

I do, however, LOVE that you have PK and Markov listed together. Every team with two “high end” defense-men play them together, allows the team to dominate 5-5 play. What would you think of Kaberle playing with Gorges (defensive stud) could potentially cover up most of Kabs blunders.. Also, Bryan Allen to fill in the spare spot?

22. shiram says:

Habs stats leaders this season, for giggles.

Subban leads all D with 119 minutes of penalty. PK is the 4th d with the most giveaways. 7th d with the most shots, but his shooting % is bad. 14th most icetime in the league for Subban too.

Plekanec leads in short handed faceoffs won, and lost. He is also the player to lose the most faceoffs on the league this season. That said, he took the second most faceoffs on the league, behind Spezza. Pleks is also 15th in the league with shorthanded goals.

Emelin is 3rd amongst D for hits, with 234.

Josh Gorges league leader in shots blocked. He also has the second most short handed TOI of the league.

Erik Cole has 10 PP goals, he’s tied with a bunch of guys at the 12th position in the league, and JM would not play him on the PP…

Nothing too serious here, but I like these kind of informations, thought I’d share.

23. habinsask says:

I just saw a commercial with P.J.Stock along with Isobel Brasseur doing a commercial for “Depends”, the adult diaper!

Smitty

24. ajk025 says:

Whats the likelihood that we can actually get Mikhail Grigorenko? Mock drafts have us 2nd overall, and I think that it would be sweet to get him considering how long we have been waiting to get a big talented center.

• RGM says:

We are presently 29th in the NHL and only once in recent years has the 30th ranked team not won the lottery (2007) so it all depends on what Columbus’ intentions are. If they go Yakupov, Grigorenko falls to us. If the Habs somehow win the lottery, they will have a very difficult choice to make.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

This years lottery draft could be just the litmus test we need to prove the league hates Montreal (as many here have suggested over the years).

If days before the lottery draft Bettman draws up a change to the process where suddenly a team in the draft can be lowered by 8 spots in the draft we will know something is up. (Please note sarcasm font is again not working)

• Habs64 says:

Yakupov is consensus # 1 and a mile ahead of Grigerenko so not difficult choice if we get 1st. Grigerenko has a reputation of laziness and not competing so I would think twice about taking him at 2nd.

• sampson12 says:

This seems strange to me. If I’m not mistaken, the last ranked team in the NHL has a 48% chance of getting the number one overall pick, yet only once in recent years they’ve failed to do so? It’s pretty much a coin toss for them, yet they almost always lock it up? How does that work..

• gK_HabsFan says:

I beleive all of the teams not making the playoffs enter the lottery. But you can only move up 4 spots in the draft.

For instance, last year the Devils won the draft. They were ranked 7th I beleive. Hence, the ended up with the 3rd pick and drafted larsson.

• sampson12 says:

From 1998-2004, every year the last ranked team did not in fact win the draft lottery, and only once in those years a low enough team won it so that the last ranked team was able to retain the 1st overall pick (8th last won, moving up to 4th). So Columbus drafting first overall should not be considered a lock.

25. LafleurGuy says:

In the 25 to 30 year old age group, we have Gorges, Emelin, Campoli, St. Denis (D-men), and Blunden, Desharnais, Geoffrion, Nokelainan, Plekanec, and Staubitz. Goalies are excluded. On the injury list are Weber,and Diaz. Travis Moen will turn 30 on April 6th. We need more and/or better players in this age group.

“May you live in interesting times.”

26. Bripro says:

What’s with all the discussion on racism?
    What lowered standard was introduced this time?
    There’re aren’t enough controversial comments on here as it is?
    Someone has to stoop to the lowest common denominator?
    Next thing you know, we won’t even be allowed to speak our own mother tongue in our own country….wait a minute….oh, never mind!

27. Captain aHab says:

Let’s go Oilers, let’s go!!!!!!!

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

28. rated_R says:

No matter who the habs draft this summer, half the people here will complain about it and call for Timmins’ head.

• shiram says:

He’s the only one left to bitch about.
      But wait for it, they’ll probably add Molson and Savard for picking the wrong GM, then bitch about the Gm for picking the wrong coach.

• Stev.R says:

Well, considering 99% of the people on this board will not have seen any of the prospects play live (not that they would be able to critically analyze them if they had), that they will remember that Timmins and his staff are professionals and we should trust their choice. For the most part anything anyone knows about a player will come from looking at stats and reading articles. That’s not enough to pretend like anyone here is an expert.

I think the fans expect that MTL will take either Forsberg, Grigorenko, or Galchenyuk, but even if they don’t and take a defenseman instead, the fans should remember that the scouts know better than we do (even if they end up being wrong).

29. Habilis says:

Racism: a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one’s own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

I hate to break it to you guys but you’re not being racist because pretty much every player you’ve mentioned is of the same “race”. If anything you’re being nationalists.

For the record, my opinion is that racism is the single stupidest idea that a human being has ever had so let’s all just steer clear :)

• twilighthours says:

We shoulda just called the guy a chauvinist instead.

Or a jingoist.

• Phil C says:

The UN has a broader definition of racial discrimination that includes discrimination based on national or ethnic origin.

“1. In this Convention, the term “racial discrimination” shall mean any distinction, exclusion, restriction or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin which has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life.”

30. Jimmy9Toes says:

Now that some of the Junior playoffs first rounds are done, any chance some of our boys getting in a couple of games in Hamilton?

31. Bripro says:

It’s obvious that Eller is maturing on the ice.
    What most don’t seem to realize is that the kid’s head is getting bigger.
    Somebody buy that boy a new helmet!
    How many times do I have to post that (as he grumbles to himself….)?

• shiram says:

Or he could just wear one of those caps, to hide the redness.

• LafleurGuy says:

Butch Goring’s lid had a looser fit so it might suit Lars’ coconut!

“May you live in interesting times.”

• neumann103 says:

I assume he has some level of sponsorship/endorsement deal that forces him to use a certain brand (CCM?).

I have the same problem Lars has: a large rectangular head that is deep and tall but not particularly wide and getting a fit is a problem, but surely the equipment guys can retrofit a bit of padding to make it work.

edit: and I think he must be aware of it. I am either aware of the snug fit because i get a headache, or I am aware of not being bothered by cramping pain, but my helmet is moving around too much (which really bothers me wearing the full cage).

“Et le but!”

• Kooch7800 says:

Budget cuts…it is a tough economy so he is wearing his helmet from Peewee

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

32. habsfan0 says:

In Dave Stubbs column,he mentions that the Habs are 1-1 against Dallas in the playoffs. Actually, the Habs have never played the Dallas Stars in a playoff round. They have,however, played their predecessors, the Minnesota North Stars twice, winning in 1971 and losing in 1980.

• twilighthours says:

I wondered what Stubbs smoked before he wrote that.

• LafleurGuy says:

I remember the 80′s series where Bobby Smith was quite good, and while game, goalie Dennis Herron was just not as good a goalie as Dryden was in our glory years that came to a screeching halt after the ’79 Cup. Then in ’81 the Oilers knocked us out 3 games to zip in a first-round best-of-five series. Goalie Richard Sevigny boasted that the Flower would (put) young Gretzky in his back pocket in that series. Stubbs may have been directing his facts at us ______genarians. (Were the New Jersey Devils originally the Kansas City Scouts or the Colorado Rockies?)

P.S. Forgot to mention, the co-owned Minnesota North Stars were split up to form both the San Jose Sharks and Dallas Stars, unprecedented, and unrepeated.
      “May you live in interesting times.”

33. LafleurGuy says:

Acceptable stereotyping: “Daniel Sedin has the same work habits as Henrik.” Anyway, Homework Assignment: Make a list of deficiencies (“holes”) on the current roster including players’ ages. The “no. 1 Center,” and “large-build no. 3/4 defenceman,” have been brought up repeatedly and therefore are registered as 100% unanaimous in support by all non-trolls. To start things off, I support acquiring 9-goal 26 yr. old Ryan Getzlaf instead of 27 yr. old 24-goal Eric Staal because of a 2 mill. difference in cap hit (5.75M vs. 7.75M). Also, the team has a glaring void in top end players aged 25 to 30, and I can explain to those interested why the June draft will not alter this. This is an open book assignment so feel free to use the Newest Testament and any other references.

P.S. Should there be write-in nominations for LafleurFan to be the next GM, he respectfully declines because he’s uncertain if he’s even unilingual.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• boing007 says:

A Pleks Getzlaf Bourque line could work.

Richard R

• Phil C says:

The problem with trading for a centre is that the Habs would have to give up some great assets to get someone like Getzlaf in return. The Ducks have clearly stated that they would need a defenseman coming back, so the discussion would have to start with Subban, which I think would be a mistake. The Habs simply do not have a surplus of assets to trade their way out of this hole. In fact, it is a lack of depth that is largely responsible for this disaster of a season.

The best thing the Habs can do is continue with the rebuiding process next year and continue to stock pile assets.

To answer your question, there are no great centres available this summer for free agency, so I would like them to stick with DD, Pleks, Eller. Eller may surprise some people with a summer of training instead of re-habbing like last year.

The should pick up a left winger in free agency to play with Pleks, and the best defenseman they can afford. I would like to see a fourth-line centre who is strong on face-offs as well.

• JF says:

Good post. I don’t want to see us trade any of our assets because we are not good enough for any one addition to make a difference. Adding the pieces you mention will help for next year, but realistically, we need at least a year of rebuilding and developing the pieces we have before we can hope to be competitive. I hope the next GM realizes this and plans to build a contender rather than simply signing free agents to ice a mediocre team and make the playoffs.

34. Phil C says:

Good article on what a joke concussion protocol is in the NHL. Asking a player if he is fine after a brain injury when his judgement can be impaired is patently ridiculous. They should get a Doctor in the war room who can decide if a player should leave the game or not based on the replay evidence. It still shocks me how often concussed players are allowed to stay in the game. The Sedin and Peckham situations are great examples of players who should have obviously been taken out of the game, but were not.

• joeybarrie says:

Can you patent ‘ridiculous’ ?

I’ll never understand why there isn’t some sort of protocol in an injury or even head hit. These guys are so valuable to the team and such a waste if lost for a longer period of time, cause they went back out to play. You would think with all the concussions over the years it would get better instead of worse.

• Chris1138 says:

What’s even more ridiculous is that concussion symptoms don’t necessarily become apparent right away. I fell 3 weeks ago and hit my head on the sidewalk. I never lost consciousness and felt totally fine. The next day I also felt fine. The following day (2 days later) I couldn’t keep up with a conversation, headaches set in, no appetite, and insomnia. Boom – concussed. I’m finally feeling mostly better – still can’t consistently sleep through the night, but I think it’s ridiculous to assess a player directly after a hit and judge whether they have a concussion.

–| Brad Marchand | Starley Cup Chanpiar 2011 |–

• Phil C says:

Exactly, they need to judge it by the severity of the impact, not the symptoms. Glad you are feeling better. It took me almost 4 months to get completely clear of my concussion symptoms after a shoulder to the head in a beer-league hockey game.

35. twilighthours says:

I just read Max’s comment and, to my mind, there was nothing racist about it.

36. Chuck says:

As it stands, the Blue Jackets have two 1st-round picks (including the Kings’), two 2nd round picks, a third round pick, and two 4th-round picks.

Would the Blue Jackets give up their 1st-rounder for our two 2nd-rounders, 3rd-rounder and 4th-round pick, thus giving them 1 first-rounder, 4 2nd-rounders, 2 3rd-rounders and 3 4th-rounders?

If I were the next Hab GM I’d be doing what I could to be drafting 1-2 or 1-3. Yakupov and Grigorenko/Forsberg? Yes, please!

___________________________________________________

• Cal says:

I don’t think there are any GMs out there that will help the Habs draft higher. Howson should be history after the season. After that, it’s anyone’s guess as to who will be in charge over there.

• LafleurGuy says:

Columbus needs NHL ready players even more urgently than we do, so roster players would be their highest item on a “needs” list especially since its 99% (made up sabermetric number) certain that 27 yr. old Rick Nash (with a 7.5M cap hit) will not be a part of that team next year.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Chuck says:

Columbus could tank for another year and no-one would notice. That would give them another #1 overall next year (McKinnon?) plus a bevy of picks with which to throw darts at.

___________________________________________________

• rated_R says:

Sorry buddy, but not in this world. Plus, the Kings’ pick is a conditional, literally that pick has so many conditions depending on if they make the playoffs. Like LafleurGuy said, they NEED an NHL ready player. The only two are Yakupov and Forsberg according to “experts”. They’ll pick Yakupov without a doubt but I hope Habs can move up in the draft and steal that away!

37. shiram says:

Center situation is still a hot topic in Habs land, with the same topics being trotted out again, either :
    -Trade Plekanec, go with DD/Eller or a drafted center
    -Play Eller on the wing, drafted center in his 3rd line spot.

I think the safest route is keeping Plekanec/DD/Eller are their position for the next season.
    DD got a good year this season, but nothing to blow Plekanec out of the water, and Plekanec is the better man in PK, one of the few shining gem in this Habs season. So keep Pleks and DD, have them battle for ice time and faceoffs, it will do good for them to compete.

Of course getting some wingers for Plekanec is key, and I would not mind at least taking Cole away from DD now that Max has had a complete season playing with Cole.

Eller is improving this year, and he needs to keep working on his center role, that way after next season, when other free agents are available, a better assessment of the center situation can be made. He is the only center above 6 feet that can compete for top 6 spot right now, apart from the 2 established guys, so let him grow into the role.

Leblanc should be getting top minutes in Hamilton, and a decision should be made on his future, C or winger.

Trading Plekanec is not gonna bring in a better center, unless you break apart more key parts of the team, and trading him for a winger leaves a glaring hole in the Habs special teams.

• boing007 says:

Pleks is also a faster skater than DD. By a long shot.

Richard R

• shiram says:

The way I see it is, Plekanec is always said not to be a true #1 center, and I have not seen anything from DD that would push over what Plekanec can bring.
        So with having those 2 good, but not great center, we need to be patient and let Eller grow into his game. The draft or next year’s free agency might be a better place to look to revamp the center position.

RC : “Merci beaucoup.”

• 24 Cups says:

If the Habs draft Grigorenko, what about moving DD to the left wing? Not exactly a perfect situation (could he take the punishment along the boards and in the corners?) but a line of DD/Grig/Cole would be interesting. That would also mean that MaxPac could play with Pleks and Gionta. We’re stuck with Bourque so he could play with Eller and Leblanc. That’s three well balanced lines in terms of talent, size and age.

• shiram says:

Bourque could benefit from the lesser matchups on the 3rd, kinda like AK did this season for a while.
            I have a tough time seeing DD play winger, but he’s been shooting at a great % lately, maybe it could work, I would say that’s beyond my knowledge.

I’m also weary of slotting in a newly drafted guy on a top line, but if he proves he can do it, that will be interesting.

RC : “Merci beaucoup.”

• The Jackal says:

Interesting thought, I was thinking we could put the guy we draft on the third line with Eller and LL to work him in….

• LNev says:

Can ‘we’, y’know, maybe draft a centre and see if he is capable of playing in the NHL before ‘we’ give him the second line spot already…

jeepers… after all the ‘this guy was rushed and ruined’ typing that floats around this site you think you might wait until we know his name beofre we slot him in.

• PeterD says:

I agree…we should definately keep Plecs/DD and Eller…it’s way to early to give up on any of them unless there is a hugely beneficial deal that can be made to seriously upgrade our scoring wingers position or as a package to improve at Centre.

Having said that, if we draft Grigorenko, maybe we should put him on the wing with Plecs to ease him in a bit before throwing him straight in with expectations of carrying his own line as Centre.
      Leave DD/Cole/Max together for another year or until they show a extended slump…why break up what’s working for us…hey it’s the only line producing so let’s keep them togther and see if we can enhance/build a second scoring power line.
      By lining up a talented rookie like Grigo with Plecs he would gain from the maturity and commitment Plecs brings every game. As he matures or proves he can handle the load of his own line, then move him back to the Centre postion and put some wingers with him that compliment his game…assuming we can find wingers like that either in the system or through trade/Free agency.

Of course all the above assumes we pick Grigo this summer…if we happen to win the lottery and get the first overall should we take Yakupov and settle out scoring winger need or still pick a big Centre which is stuill a need we have?

• neumann103 says:

+1 on all counts.

There is no reason to move Desharnais as he gives incredible value for what he is paid. The Habs have one more year at this bargain price and he is still an RFA after that.

Eller plays much better in the Center position than on wing. He is smart and responsible and plays the entire length of the ice. He has as many goals as Desharnais playing much tougher minutes with very limited and constantly changing linemates. He has a shot at being a kind of Plekanec 2.0

Plekanec is gold. The only reason you would consider trading him is that he would be the biggest bargaining chip in trading for some type of big forward. It is really rare to get someone like Plekanec who gives you so much versatility in a single roster spot. But there are very few realistic trades like this that would make sense.

And beyond all that, none of these guys complains. Desharnais gets underrated his whole career and simply goes out and performs on the ice, making his merit unmistakeable. Plekanec and Eller are both team-first guys who take on the tough roles and the less than stellar assignments that don’t help their personal stats.

Keep ‘em. Add a scoring winger by FA or trade and draft a young future top 6 forward this year.

“Et le but!”

• 24 Cups says:

LOL. I really didn’t mean to state that the kid would automatically be given a top line spot but that’s the way it came across. Lesson learned.

If we do draft a centre with a top three pick, then it eventually means one of the other three guys is a goner. I was just trying to be creative so we didn’t have to lose one of them.

38. Kooch7800 says:

Via John Lu’s twitter
    Habs have recorded 410 man-games lost to injury this season — 1st in NHL. Markov (69), White (55), Gionta (48), Gomez (41) lead the way.

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

39. montreal ace says:

Hockey heaven the playoffs, hockey hell finishing 29th, and people getting excited about finishing there. Tanking to me is like a guy about to get hit by a car, and being giddy about the insurance settlement he is going to get. Its just starting to settle in that I am in hockey hell, and its not a good feeling.

• twilighthours says:

Once you come to grips with the fact that it is impossible to avoid getting hit by the car – and you will survive – you’ll actually start planning out how to spend that big settlement cheque.

I noticed that the Sarnia Sting are out of the playoffs and it’s just the first round.

Not only will Yakupov and Galchenyuk miss out on some valuable playoff experience but the scouts won’t have an opportunity to see if these two young guys have fully recovered from their serious injuries.

No fear, I’ve sort got my heart set on the Habs drafting Grigorenko. There’s still three games to go (plus the lottery) but it’s looking like a real possibility.

Yah but Steve he was born in …… nevermind just kidding. :)

• Talik Sanis says:

As I recall, due to his late birthday, Galchenyuk can be named to the US under 18 team. They’ll be announcing the roster today.

• 24 Cups says:

The only reason that I bring it up is that it appears Montreal will be a safe bet to draft in the top four. Assuming one is a Dman, then Montreal is looking at:
        1st – Yakupov
        2nd – Grigorenko
        3rd – Forsberg or Galchenyuk

Even if a Dman isn’t chosen by Edmonton, we will still get one of these top four forwards.

• boing007 says:

Hip! Hip! Hooray!

Richard R

• mark_ID says:

Imagine we choose a defenceman…..this site will be fuuun

“Step off George”

• Talik Sanis says:

I was simply saying that our scouts would likely be able to get a better look at him over the course of the tournament. However, much to my surprise, he’s been left off the roster. All of the players come from the US National Development Team. Make of that what you will.

Galchenyuk, despite his injury, is still 2b for me. I freely admit that I am no more knowledgeable than the next man, but those scouts and sources whom I trust place Galchenyuk’s skill level and potential above those of Forsberg.

41. TomNickle says:

A theme repeats itself within the media almost annually with regard to the coming draft and it’s elite prospects.

The media at one point or another goes on information from scouts, reports it as fact and can sometimes swing majority opinion. I know, unbelievable right?

I’ll give you a couple of recent examples. A player is granted exceptional player status by the OHL to enter their draft. The Oshawa Generals draft him and he destroys team records held by Eric Lindros(perhaps the most sought after draft eligible player in NHL history).

Approximately two months before the draft reports start coming out that a defenseman from Sweden by the name of Victor Hedman is a more pro ready prospect and might in fact have more long term upside for a franchise. After all John Tavares is slow of foot and not very responsible defensively right?

And oh yeah, maybe that Matt Duchesne kid would be a better pick too. I mean, he is incredibly fast.

Now. Who would possibly have anything to gain by putting John Tavares down to the media? Perhaps a team hoping he’d fall to them? Hmmm…..somebody happened to be drafting 7th that year and reportedly had a deal in place with the Colorado Avalanche who held the #3 pick should a certain player become available. Could you have guessed in a million years that team would be the Toronto Maple Leafs? Imagine! Brian Burke using Darren Dreger, Bob McKenzie, Nick Kypreos, Darren Millard and Doug MacLean to help him get the consensus best player available? The kind of player to build a franchise around? I know, far fetched right.

Today, approaching the draft there are 2 nhl ready players who are seen as franchise players. The Leafs will need help to get into the top 2 of the draft. And what better way to make one of those two elite players fall than to have an unknown player from Europe be made to appear as a franchise player and coincidentally use that same media to detail how uninterested one of the two elite players looks?

See?

I don’t doubt at all that happens Tom, and you can’t blame the Leafs for trying that. Thankfully it didn’t work out that well for them on that occasion. Absolutely the Leafs have the media in their back pocket, and now it is painfully obvious given TSN and Sportsnet own the Leafs.

• Cal says:

Those comments may sway fans, but not the scouts. They only care if the player THEY recommend when the team drafts is the one the team picks.
      The one player NHL-ready by consensus is Yakupov. The 2nd is Grogorenko. The rest are more of a crap shoot. Take all opinions, that’s what they are, with a grain of salt.

• TomNickle says:

The point I’m making here Cal is that if scouts start talking, executives start listening. If the Oilers for example keep hearing great things about this Forsberg kid and they’ve only had one scout look at him for a few months, maybe they start sending different scouts(this does happen).

You watch a player enough and you think you can fix the holes in his game and subsequently become warm to the idea of reaching a bit further than you should to get him while ignoring better options.

• LafleurGuy says:

Robo-calling infiltrates the NHL!

“May you live in interesting times.”

• D Mex says:

Interesting hypothesis, and interesting that you associate it with Burke.
      Not too long ago I often wondered if, when in front of the cameras, Burke wasn’t performing a carefully rehearsed assessment of that rarest of talents, Tomas Kaberle. It just seemed that he was desperate to convince anyone who would listen that Kaberle really was just too good to let go, all with the goal of falsely inflating his market value.
      More recently, I wonder the same thing every time he talks about Phil Kessel – you know, Brian Burke’s view of the world and, I mean, who in their right mind would dare to take issue with Brian Burke’s view of the world … certainly not sports media in Toronto !

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

42. LafleurGuy says:

Intrigued by an earlier comment that a trade could be had with Carolina, and instead of an older Eric Staal coming this way, maybe Plekie (Plekanec, not Nokielainen) would be sent to Raleigh. Dug out The Hockey News Future Watch, which forthwith shall be referred to as “The Newest Testament,” and noted Carolina slotted in 10th place for team ranking (ours is 28th). Two of Carolina’s top four prospects are 6’1″ centers, and both are 22 yr. old. Zac Dalpe, and Riley Nash. Would take both for Plekie and another piece going theirway.
    Also, interesting article in The Newest Testament about Cole Harbour’s other hockey phenom, Nathan Mackinnon. Perhaps we could tank next year to get a 48.6% shot at the Kid Jr.!

“May you live in interesting times.”

Mackinnon indeed looks like the next real deal, but I am not sure I could go through another season like this one. Can’t we just pull a Pollack and get Columbus Blue Jackets first round pick for next year and let them do the tanking?

• TomNickle says:

Toronto might give Columbus a run for that pick.

I think the same thing Tom, Burke is going to have to turn over that roster to help suit Carlyle’s system/style. Not sure how much better in this cap world he can make that team by trading. They may indeed get worse before better.

43. Kooch7800 says:

@TomNickle – You are like talking to a wall… regurgitating the same bullshit. Don’t comment on my posts anymore and i will do the same for yours.

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

44. smiler2729 says:

Feet in mouths, keyboard bravados, poo disturbing, racism charges, oy! Just another day at the HIO and when the Habs suck, we clash.

See you boys, later, I have to go do this hernia surgery thing at 1:30 and I’ll be off for awhile so you are my only entertainment once the anesthesia wears off…

TNick, while I’m there I’ll see about the procedure to remove the foot from the mouth.

__________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

45. habin-ktown says:

His comment was not at all racist he did not call out Russians in general he just named a few people that have questionable work ethic and nor did he point out the swedes and give them props for their hard word

46. 69HABS says:

Games left. Why bother with practice …

47. FuzE_gus says:

Scott Gomez ends his Habs career in powder puff blue. How appropriate! ;-)

With Regards from FuzE_gus

• 69HABS says:

Didn’t the Jays win a World Series in Powder Puff Blue?

• Timo says:

Well, maybe Gomer can join them for the next season.

• Chuck says:

The powder blues were gone by the time they won their World Series’.

___________________________________________________

How is it going Chuck? Maybe we should see if some of the local HIO members here want to get together to watch the Leaf/Habs game next Saturday at a sports bar nearby, your thoughts?

• Timo says:

It will probably be the most epic battle of the season. Get your game face on, dudes.

• smiler2729 says:

We’ll probably end up fighting ourselves

__________________________________
            Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

• Chuck says:

Surely! Why not go out with a bang? My hopes for the last game: Leafs are one point up on us, and obviously tank the game in trying to get a better draft position. We play (and beat them) with honour, but win the lottery to leapfrog the Leafs in draft position. :)

___________________________________________________

• FuzE_gus says:

Last one in’s a rotten hockey team!!!

With Regards from FuzE_gus

• 69HABS says:

Thanks Chuck!

48. 69HABS says:

On a brighter note:

The “Big Show” finally won a Title @ Wrestlemaina. Ending his losing streak!

49. smiler2729 says:

The Numbers
    Carey Price W 26 GAA 2.43 SV/SA 1754/1914 SV% .916 SHO 4
    Jaroslav Halak W 25 GAA 1.97 SV/SA 1088/1176 SV% .925 SHO 6

St. Louis, where Brian Elliott can become a superstar.
    __________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

50. arcosenate says:

Nickle and RGM, calling somebody racist is a pretty serious charge, doing so at the drop of a hat on a hockey website is ridiculous and irresponsible. Give your heads a shake, it’s so over the top to jump to charges like that.

• smiler2729 says:

Yeah, just ignore ignoramuses.

No racism there, maybe stereotyping but if it walks like a duck…

__________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

• Kooch7800 says:

I 100% agree. People seem to forget we are all fans of the habs but people on here attack each other over absolutely nothing

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• TomNickle says:

Would it be nothing to you if your family had Eastern European ties?

Just an innocent question. Because when somebody calls a nation of people lazy and points to another and commends them for a strong work ethic, that’s racist.

If somebody came on here and decided to call Canadians lazy and lauded Americans for their never ending drive to become great, you’d probably feel the same way right?

• Kooch7800 says:

I have European ties…Thank you very much.

At one point did he call all Russians lazy…stop making shit up

Learn to read man “It feels like he could be a Kovalev lite,Kozlov,Stefan or a Yashin type character who never fully plays up to his potential and gives about 65% each game.” All of those players were floaters…no doubt about it. He was naming other players from the same country who had questioned work ethic…

to call him a racist is just ignorant

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• TomNickle says:

So giving 65% each game is a comment meant to indicate Russian players work hard?

And I need to learn how to read?

If you’re going to accuse me of making things up, at the very least try your best not to be a hypocrite. Please.

• smiler2729 says:

Not over nothing, over boredom and the power of being a keyboard tough guy.

__________________________________
        Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

Are you kidding me?

Grow up. I didn’t threaten anyone, I didn’t curse or swear, I didn’t demand he be removed or his comment deleted.

• smiler2729 says:

Oh chill, I was being general about us jumping all over each other.

Oh and tongue was firmly planted in cheek.

__________________________________
            Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

Chill?

You put down my opinion of somebody making a racist comment by saying I’m bored and a keyboard tough guy.

I demonstrate that I was level headed through the whole thing, that I wasn’t immature about it and your response now is that I’m too worked up?

How are you planning to put your foot in your mouth this time Pete?

• Ozmodiar says:

Racism is a whole lot uglier than a biased comparison of hockey players.

51. LafleurGuy says:

A misunderstanding below. Gentlemen, you’re both respectful types. Don’t believe there was racism, but perhaps some absence of malice stereotyping. May I re-direct attention to Cherry Bomb’s “Anglophones don’t wear visors, but Quebecers and Europeans do.” He gets to say these things on national TV. Anyway, I agree with the point made that there is more than a little risk involved in projecting the outcome of an 18 year old’s development. Luke Schenn was a 5th by the way when mentioning Kadri as a 7th. Alexandre Daigle was neither Russian, Swedish, or American. He did wear a visor.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• smiler2729 says:

Not to defend Cherry there but his visor statement was pretty much proven right by the statistics at the time. It was his delivery and vitriol that pissed people off.

__________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

52. HabFanSince72 says:

Why always the same picture for practice. Can’t someone take a picture of the actual practice?

Not that it matters but then why not post a scenery shot: Mountains, oceans that sort of stuff. Or kittens.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

I want to see Gomez in the powder blue practise jersey myself. :)

• Phil C says:

I would prefer a pixelated phone picture of the actual practice, than a regurgitated file photo. How long would that take to snap one and email it these days? But they would be criticized for picture quality I guess.

The first time I saw that picture I was happy because I just assumed it was from practice being reported, so I was thinking “Oh good! They’re working on face-offs which is desperately needed.” Wrong. They still suck on face-offs.

53. Max says:

On another note,something about this Grigorenko kid leaves me with a bad feeling. It feels like he could be a Kovalev lite,Kozlov,Stefan or a Yashin type character who never fully plays up to his potential and gives about 65% each game.

At this moment,the habs are poised to potentially draft him also. I would take Forsberg over him anyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

I have a friend in Sweden who has watched him play many times and he tells me he looks to be the next big Swedish superstar forward to take over from Alfreddson and earlier Peter Forsberg,Mats Sundin etc.

Lots of buzz about the kid.

Always gives 100% and skates like the wind and isn’t afraid of the rough stuff also.Very similar to a young Marian Hossa.

• TomNickle says:

I’m sorry but your comment hints toward a small degree of racism.

Why not compare Grigorenko to Alexandre Daigle, Brian Lawton or even Nazem Kadri?

So let’s get this straight. Swedes are great but Russians aren’t.

K.

• arcosenate says:

Racism? It’s too early in the day for racist charges.

• TomNickle says:

To hold the opinion that a large group of Russian NHL players don’t realize their potential because they’re lazy while saying that a Swede will realize his potential due to a strong work ethic and comparing him to two Swedes is in fact, a racist comment.

• arcosenate says:

Way too early for the racist card.

• TomNickle says:

Look at the direction you’re pointing. Too early to call somebody’s comment a racist remark but apparently not too early to be a racist.

• RGM says:

I’m curious to know at what hours of the day this individual doesn’t find calling out racism to be a problem. When is it not “too early” to point out bigotry, my friend?

———————–
            GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
            “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• sirs says:

TomNickle you sir need to be educated on what racism is…. Him saying that most Russian players are lazy is a fact has nothing to do with being Russian its just their reputation from players in the past. granted there are some good ones that come over and play hard… Datsyuk of the wings or how ever you spell his name… Etc. But Max is right on the money about Forsberg he is the best option for the Habs in the coming draft if they can get him. And he is NHL ready if you read what all the scouts have to say about him.

• TomNickle says:

So let me get this straight. It’s not racist because Russian players generally are lazy, and that’s a fact verified by you personally. In addition, his opinion should be seen as fact because Filip Forsberg is the best option for the Habs.

K, got it. Sound logic champ.

• Kooch7800 says:

nice try Tom…he isn’t not racist you are just trying to start something out of nothing…..give it a rest

the scouting reports question his work ethic so are they racist as well.

yes there are tons of players who haven’t panned out that are not Russian but there have been questions about this kid.

There are not the same questions about Nail….

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• TomNickle says:

I’m not trying to start something at all. That is as blatantly racist of a comment as I’ve ever seen here.

To point to a player and saying that you have a feeling he won’t realize his potential due to his nation of origin while commending a player of the same age and saying he will due to being from a nation renowned for its work ethic is a racist comment.

And it’s a comment clearly made by somebody who hasn’t been to both of those nations in their lifetime.

This place, and the World in general would be a lot better without people like that in it.

• Kooch7800 says:

Mountain out of a mole man. Chill out. Do you see people questioning the work ethic of Nail Yak? No and he is also russian. There is risk in any player but you also have to look at a players compete level. If it is being questioned early that could be a huge issue.

Try and remember everyone on here are fans of the habs…

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• TomNickle says:

I’m perfectly calm. But racism isn’t okay and that’s exactly what it was. You can choose to ignore it just as I choose not to.

• Max says:

Hey Tom,
        You are a wiener. You sound like a tool and Stefan isn’t even Russian. I was just throwing names out there of players who were known to be lazy, and just by coincidence,several Russian names appeared. I just so happen to love Russia culture and Russians in general and spent lots of time there.
        Have a nice day Mr.Wiener

• TomNickle says:

I’m a wiener because I called your statement to be racist?

Your bigoted commented as I pointed out above neglected to include players from other nations. And it’s quite clear after your well thought out and delayed reply that you were under the impression that Stefan was from Russia.

You’ve spent lots of time in Russia? If I were caught making a bigoted remark about Russian hockey players I would probably play that card too.

So don’t worry about it Max. People with their heads on straight saw your comment for what it was.

• sampson12 says:

I think there are more people that think you are nuts than there are people that think he is racist.

There is nothing wrong with saying that the style of play in one country differs from the style of play in another, and that players from one country often don’t fit what NHL teams want in a player. Things like culture and the way the game has evolved in their respective countries influence that. But he didn’t even come close to saying that.

You can’t deny that there have been a lot of enigmatic Russian prospects that simply seem disinterested and don’t fulfill their potential in the NHL…Zherdev, Filatov, etc. It’s a reputation that they’ve built up and has left some people uncomfortable drafting them. But again, he didn’t even go as far as saying that.

He simply compared a Russian prospect to three Russians who had a reputation of not caring as well as a Czech player. They are easy and common comparisons to make. He also went on to compare a Swedish player to a Slovak in a very positive way. Which goes against your claims.

To be racist, he would have to say something like: I don’t like Russian people and I’m going to actively promote how awful they are in hopes that they are never allowed to play in the NHL again. And then maybe he’d have to spit on someone.

I for one, hate generalizing. I think that Russian hockey is so much different from North American hockey and as a result, some players get this reputation. Maybe they are able to get away with floating in their game, but they can’t in ours. But that is not to say that every Russian floats.

Russia produces some of the best hockey talent in the world, and unfortunately some of the best cases of ‘they should be awesome but they don’t seem to give a sh*t’. There’s nothing wrong with pointing that out.

• Max says:

No, I knew Stefan was not Russian from the start. My
            “delayed” response was because I actually have a life outside the internet and things to do.

You come off as an even bigger wiener now with your latest comments.

It must really suck being you. Sad,fat.little boy.

• Max says:

Thanks Sampson! Good to know there are still real and reasonable men on these forums. Cheers!

• arcosenate says:

We haven’t drafted very well out of Sweden, you’d think Mats Naslund might have been able to uncover some talent for us at some point. I like the look of Forsberg as well, we really need to hit a home run on this one, frankly it will be a very difficult decision to make if you don’t have the number one pick overall!

• LNev says:

Like what? What gives you this impression? What some guy on the internet who watched a clip of him from some game in February said?
      What some ‘unnamed’ scout said to some guy at TSN in hopes of starting rumours so he falls out of the top 5, so his team can steal him?
      Meh. You have that impression not because of any real evidence, but rather that it is easier to be a hater.

As for the points about Yashin/Kovalev/Stefan & the 65%. Ever think that it wasn’t them failing to live up to expectations but rather your expectations being unreasonable?
      Perhaps, Kovalev who twice scored more than a PPG in his career, but many times hovered at the 65pt mark wasn’t one of the “most supremely talented but unmotivated” players ever. Maybe he was just a 65pt guy who had two good years. Not unlike a Craig Janney or Jimmy Carson… Maybe the NHL figured out how these guys play and they were unable to adapt their games, like what happened to Kessel in the 2nd half of this season.

As for F Forsberg? He looks like the ‘next big swedish superstar’? calling a 17yr old the next beig superstar leads to the hate you have for Kovalev/Yashin etc in 5 years when he’s only getting 65pts a season… crap, your ‘friend’ has compared to him one of the greatest players in the history of the NHL already (P Forsberg).

Time to lose the hate for Russia… Markov, Emelin, Malkin, Datsyuk, etc etc. Russia is fine.

• TomNickle says:

Anton Volchenkov, Dimitry Kulikov and future stars like Evgeni Kuznetsov and Vladmir Tarasenko. Alexander Ovechkin, Alex Radulov, Ilya Kovalchuk are a few others who are doing a pretty good job of realizing their potential.

• smiler2729 says:

Yeah me too, something about Russians and the lure of the KHL gives ya the heebie jeebies.

That’s why Galyenchuk is attractive, American born and raised.

__________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I’d take another Kovalev.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

54. arcosenate says:

What could they possibly be practicing at this point?

On another note, I get the vibe from the HIO writers that they don’t think Geoffrion is NHL material, but I found that what little I saw of him he didn’t look that out of place.

55. sreuel says:

Hope HIO invests in more pictures next season. Seen same picture for Habs at practice for the year

56. smiler2729 says:

Just end it by creaming the Laffs on their national broadcast in front of the whole country, THAT should send us all into the off-season sunshine with smiles on our faces.

F the Laffs.
    F Burke.

__________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

57. Kooch7800 says:

do you think Cunneyworth really cares running the practices right now….he is going to be terminated very shortly and there are three meaningless games left

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

If we do, watch Leafs crying tanking conspiracy.

59. shiram says:

As if their goalie situation was not suspicious.

60. Danno says:

The Toronto Made-For-Laughs have a monopoly on sucking and resent anybody who horns in on their territory.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”