Video from Canadiens Wednesday practice

ColePractice

Only a few players were available in Brossard.
With great reluctance, Erik Cole talked about his career-best 31-goal season.
And Josh Gorges said nice things about Frédéric St. Denis.

The Canadiens did not practice on-ice Wednesday morning.

Scott Gomez, Brian Gionta, Travis Moen, Mathieu Darche and Tomas Kaberle were on the ice early for conditioning drills with Pierre Allard.

The team had an off-ice session.

Randy Cunneyworth took a day off from the media … and we from him.

•  •  •

The Canadiens have signed Greg Pateryn to a professional contract.

The team announcement:

Montreal Canadiens general manager Pierre Gauthier announced today the signing of defenceman Greg Pateryn to a two-year contract (2012-13 and 2013-14). As per club policy, financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Pateryn tallied 15 points (2 goals, 13 assists) in 41 games this season with the CCHA’s Michigan Wolverines. The 6’02’’ and 212 lbs defenseman served 65 penalty minutes. He played one game in the 2012 NCAA Frozen Four, presenting a +1 differential and three shots on goal.

A native of Sterling Heights, Michigan, Pateryn, 21, recorded 43 points (6 goals and 37 assists) and 143 penalty minutes in 142 games since his college debut with Michigan in 2008-09. He was drafted by the Toronto Maple Leafs in the fifth round, 128th overall at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft. Pateryn was acquired from the Maple Leafs on July 3, 2008 with a second round draft pick in 2010, in return for Mikhail Grabovski.

1. alwayssunny says:

edited because it is no fun making fun of Gainey and Gauthier anymore

Looking at the scoreboard this morning, our draft position was not helped last night, pretty hard to beat the Oilers at a game they have perfected, TANKING.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Gerald! I am no draftnik (although I suspect this skill will develop over the next several weeks) it seems that picks 2thru 5 are seen as equal valued players. I’m guessing that means if we finish 2nd worst or 5th worse it may not impact the quality player we will draft. Time will tell though.

• Marc10 says:

You’re right. Shutting Hall down is only going to help them just pack it in with a vengeance.

Minny is going to crap the bed too and Toronto have hired in Carlyle a guy who is so mis-matched for his team that I can’t see them winning another game (except the one against us on the last day of course…)

I could see us finishing 5th and hopefully drafting no lower.

In Timmins I trust. No matter what happens to PG, Timmins has to stay.

3. The Cat says:

I have to rant. I saw St.Denis slightly hinting that he thinks he probably doesnt figure in the habs’ plans. Whoever it is that evaluates talent on the habs needs to get fired. Halak, Desharnais and St.Denis never got any love. Habs talent evaluators remind me of my old neighbour who would stubbornly maintain that gravity was the same in space, and that L.A. was a mere couple of hours outside Montreal. Firmly stupid.

• Lizardking89 says:

The Habs have the worst pro scouting and evaluation people in the league. Take a look at all the players this team gave up on for proof of that.

They need to hire people who can actually evaluate talent properly on the pro level and hire more scouts. It’s all well and good to draft well and for the most part they’ve done that but if you can’t tell what you have all of Timmins’ hard work is going to waste. This team’s system is broken from the GM on down. We need a good GM who will hire the right people.

• Cal says:

It’s the development of players, not the scouting. However, they should find out if the player is an a-hole before drafting him, not afterwards.

• Marc10 says:

The scouting is actually one of the best in the last 10 years (missing Bergeron and Giroux notwithstanding…)

The problem is with the GM losing assets for nothing, not signing guys when they’re available for cheap and willing to sign, trading solid players with pedigree for complete busts and creating a mismatched lineup with too many small, ageing players that can’t possibly compete come crunch time.

• Cal says:

St. Denis, Weber and Diaz are too small and not surrounded by monster Dmen. In short, because they are, they can’t play in Montreal. Each player can be a 3rd pairing or 7th Dman elsewhere.

• The Cat says:

I disagree. Talent evaluation has been wrong for a long time. The only blips on the screen were the Halak playoff year (out of the ordinary goaltending) and the Carbo year where the PP hit at an impossible rate (out of the ordinary PP percentage). When everything is normal, the team has been far from great and I dont believe it the players fault.

• Marc10 says:

I like St Denis. He’s a smart player with a decent shot and some hockey smarts.

But when he looks at those that are going to stay – PK, Markov, Gorges and Yemmy… and those that are coming – Beaulieu, Tinordi, Ellis, Bennett… St Denis has to think he doesn’t have a chance.

Unless someone like Gorges gets traded or a top guy (God forbid) falls to injury, he’s on the outside looking in and slugging it out with Diaz and Weber to make the NHL… probably somewhere else.

4. third generation haber says:

TSN seems to think Julien Brisebois is our next GM.

I hope he has the opposite approach to Burke:
    “I have a 2 year plan, not a 5 year plan”
    That was 4 years ago! How’s that plan working????

If Brisebois brings Nathan McKinnon to Montreal we won’t be talking about making the playoffs anymore, we’ll be talking about winning cups again!

j.p. murray

5. blu_blanc_rouge says:

I hope Gainey and Gauthier are both gone by then

Cammi was -2 in the crucial game Calgary absolutely had to win. Instead, shut out 3-0. So really this trade was exchanging one useless player for equally useless but cheaper one.

7. doug19 says:

Gomez

I believe habs should just stop paying him. If I bought a car for big bucks and it hardly ran I would cancel payment or take legal action.
    OK anyone can haves bad day, month, season. Here we are talking two no seasons in a row. How does Gomez in any good faith hold out his hand for big money when he has been so crappie? This is a crime that the league is party to. I thought this was a man’s game. Sadly in this case it is not a man’s game. There is no honor among this contract.

• Lizardking89 says:

If this was the NFL he would have been cut long ago. There are no guaranteed contracts in the NFL and I wish i was like that in the NHL. Players like Gomez and Bourque who don’t give it their all every game piss me off. If these types of lazy slackers had it in the back of their minds that they could get cut at any time and lose that guaranteed paycheck I’m sure they would play with a bit more passion and actually give a shit.

• Cal says:

The NFL uses players and throws them away like they are garbage. The only players seeing much money are the “stars”. Besides, 82 games is a tougher road to hoe than 16, even if there is more hitting in football.

• Cal says:

Guaranteed contract. Want the Habs to be sued for even more money?
      He collects his pay like you do.
      Next CBA, the era of guaranteed contracts for NHLers goes away.

8. Stev.R says:

Anyone know what the lines are like in Hamilton? What about a projected lineup for next year?

• Stev.R says:

Palushaj – Leblanc – Gallagher
      Kristo – Engvist – Geoffrion
      Willsie – Bournival – Schultz
      Conboy – Avtsin – Slaney
      Berger – Desimone – Nattinen

Beaulieu – Nash
      St. Denis – Ellis
      Tinnordi – Pateryn
      Stafford – Fitzgerald
      Henry

Lawson
      Mayer

or something like that? I don’t know anything about Hamilton.