Multimedia: HIO at practice

Darche

The Canadiens parcticed Monday morning in Brossard.
Tomas Kaberle was back skating, in a non-contact jersey
(Insert joke here).
Today’s Randy Cunneyworth audio is fun for the dialogue that begins with Patrick V. Hickey asking about Rene Bourque’s ice time.

AUDIO: Cunneyworth

Video of Mathieu Darche talking about his alma mater, McGill University, winning the national CIS championship:

• Lars Eller got hit by a shot in practice. Cunneyworth said he suffered “an upper-tooth injury”.

“His modelling career,” the coach added, “is officially over.”

New drill for centres: Plekanec, Desharnais and Nokelainen, skating in a tight space, trying to kerp the puck away from each other.

Line of the Day: “Rene Bourque has a torn motivator cuff.”

•  •  •

Neil Blunden, Mike’s brother, plays on the national champion McGill Redmen.

•  •  •

Lines at practice have Louis Leblanc bumped up to wing with Tomas Plekanec and Rene Bourque.

Fourth liners: Petteri Nokelainen-Aaron Palushaj-Brad Staubitz-Blake Geoffrion

1. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Number 11 of CBC.ca’s Eliotte Friedmen’s ‘ 30 Thoughts:

…”11. Have to think Kirk Muller will get a chance to be part of Team Canada’s coaching staff at this year’s event. Maybe not the head guy, but he’s got to be considered as an assistant.”

_________________________________________________________
    HIS’ Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song: Morrissey ‘There is a light that never goes out’ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjObvIQtsLk&feature=related

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

2. Habitant in Surrey says:

…the first 4 of CBC.ca’s Eliotte Friedmen’s ‘ 30 Thoughts:

“1. Think the NHL quietly tried to find other owners for a potential Quebec City franchise. (Smart business, create a bidding war. A similar move took the Canadiens’ sale price up to $600 million.) The Desmarais and Tanguay families share ownership of the QMJHL Remparts, and there’ve been lots of rumours they were approached. Andre Desmarais, president and co-CEO of Power Corp, said his family “has no interest in owning an NHL team at this stage.” (That was in a phone interview.) Through a spokeswoman, the Tanguay family denied there ever was a meeting.

2. Canadiens owner Geoff Molson is on record as supporting the Nordiques’ return (should this happen), but the timing is tough for Montreal. One of the reasons I hate my parents is that they met too late for me to cover a Montreal/Quebec playoff series, but the stories from reporters who did are fantastic. The Nordiques worked hard to identify themselves as the Francophones against the Anglophone Canadiens. After all of the Randy Cunneyworth craziness, you can see how we’re going to go down this road again. (And, to my dad, who reads this blog, I’m just kidding.)

3. For that reason, wouldn’t be surprised at all if the Patrick Roy-to-Montreal story that came out last week was a Canadiens’ pre-emptive strike. He’d be a popular choice and a huge public-relations victory. However, most NHL people are with Steve Simmons, who wrote in The Toronto Sun that Roy will be part of Quebec City’s team, whenever it does arrive.

4. Was interested that the Roy to Montreal report said he’d be GM. People who know him say he has a great in-game feel behind the bench, and is an excellent motivator and developer of players. But, he might want control and the front-office position allows for more of that.”

_________________________________________________________

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

3. Mr_MacDougall says:

@AntiJM
    A sound argument, well If you are interested in how I would move forward I will share my thoughts.

There is a proven method of building a “perennial contender.” That is having an All-Star Goaltender, one elite center, one high end center and two elite defensemen, know as The Five Man Core™. (Examples include 90′s Pens, Wings, Avs, Stars)

The Habs currently have Four pieces intact of the Five man Core in Price, Subban, Markov (when healthy) and Pleks/DD(I agree they are both Number 2 players). A team can be competitive without a True Number One center, but will lack the key PP presence and it has been proven centers are much more difficult to contain then wingers.

Drafting Grigorenko would be my choice for the Habs in an attempt of landing a Number One Center. Maybe Jonathan Huberdeau will be better than Grigorenko, but to give up an enormous package like you suggested is crazy!

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

I would much rather the Habs draft Forsberg, a much safer pick who will be a great forward for years to come. They don’t need another lazy talented Russian who will bolt for the KHL if things don’t go his way. I don’t care if he is a centre, they can’t afford to screw up this pick.

4. SlovakHab says:

People can complain about Plekanec as much as they want, but Parise-Plekanec-Gionta would be a one hell of a line and Pax-DD-Cole would is another one. Then Leblanc – Eller – Borque and Moen – White – Geoffrion, and you have yourself a team.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

No doubt Parise would be a huge addition (no oxymoron intended) people forget that Gionta scored near as many important goals as Cammy during the “09 playoff run”

That bottom six you listed is pretty weak, not much protection against top 6 injuries.

5. ZepFan2 says:

He doesn’t fit in?

Alright Mr. Pollock.

Write us another post on Pleks being traded for Huberdeau. Maybe after the 50th time posting it, people will start buying it.

“arsefukker”
    :lol:
    ———————————————————————-
    “You cannot petition the lord with prayer!” – James Douglas Morrison

The Soft Parade

6. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Vigneault confirms Daniel Sedin is concussed
    …My solution is to fire Shanahan as VP Hockey and Business Development and head disciplinarian, and hire Kerry Fraser
    …or at least strip ‘Head Disciplinarian’ from Shanahan’s mandate, and replace with Fraser in charge of disciplinary issues …Kerry is an ex-referee, therefore understands the issues to control irresponsible behaviors of players
    …amazing that Shanahan, at the beginning, looked like a determined and competent breath of fresh air in the Dinosaurs’ Club at NHL HO
    …man, WHAT a DUD he has turned out to be :(

_________________________________________________________

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

7. Sean Bonjovi says:

Here’s your 2012-2013 Montreal Canadiens:
    Max Pac – DD – Cole
    Eller – Pleks – Gionta
    Bourque – Gomez – Leblanc
    Geoffrion – White – Darche – Blunden

Gorges – PK
    Markov – Diaz
    Kaberle – Emelin

Anything better than that and I’ll be shocked.

“Patch the holes, ride it out, Play for 2015″
    - Sean Bonjovi

8. matt jordan says:

As bad as the Canadiens have been, the Minnesota Wild were at one point first in the Western Conference. That as one epic fall from grace.

Jets tie it up at 2, on a goal by Wellwood. Speaking of TV’s when Wellwood played for the Leafs, the media used to bug him because he didn’t own a TV but rather read in his spare time. The brilliant scribes here in Toronto just couldn’t understand that.

10. Castor says:

Do you guys believe Pleks just had an off year with his crappy linemates etc? Honest question.

If he had Gio and maybe a scoring winger…. (Parise?) Would he be the point leader again?
    add that line to
    Max-DD-Cole
    Bourque-Eller-Leblanc
    Staubitz/Blunden-White-Moen

or maybe…just maybe… we get Yakupov or Forsberg and they’re ready to go mid year….ah who am I kidding?

not bad.. especially with PK/MARKOV/GEORGES/EMELIN top four.

11. Habitant in Surrey says:

@ HabInBurlington

……also, video is shown on separate browser screen, minimize your browser, and you will see separate video screen (Flash) beneath

_________________________________________________________

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…You hear the behind the scenes conversation between play-by-play/colour guys sometimes because stream is ‘a capture’ I believe of NHL Gamecentre (?) Network (in other words ‘raw’ …no commercials except Swedish or British gambling spots) …most often during normal commercial spots it goes ‘black’ with music …be patient and it will resume :)

…it is transmitted by a Swedish satellite, which I get a kick out of comprehending a broadcast out of where-ever the game is played in NA, including Vancouver where I live, to Europe, and back across the Atlantic to the Pacific Ocean :) …ultimate redundancy :)

_________________________________________________________

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• HabFab says:

Remember when we first started watching TV?
        Unfreaking real, who would have thunk it?

Frank my first remote control was a hockey stick we used to change the channel by hitting the dial with it. My Father didn’t think it was quite the invention my brothers and I thought it was.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…You may have read Me telling of My Dad bringing home a B&W TV, which until He brought it home I had no idea what a ‘TV’ was …anyhow, it was just in time to see the very first television transmission in Canada (CBC) …it was a live transmission of a session in Parliament in Ottawa …it droned on for hours on a snowy screen, getting up from time to time to adjust those ‘rabbit-ears’ :)
          …but I laid on the floor for hours watching, not caring how boring it was, just fascinated of what I saw in that glass-tube, until it went off air
          …it was not much later that I watched My first Habs game, vs those vile Weeds :)
          …yup, lots has changed on one hand, AND on the OTHER hand …’nuttin’ has changed :)

_________________________________________________________

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• HabFab says:

Funny how that memory thing work. Half the time we talk, I flash back to Cote St Luc mall. And whenever I think of there, I’m hit with such a strong memory of the little pizza place, that I literally can smell and taste a slice.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I know Cote Saint Luc Mall well Frank …where did You live ?
          …My mother lived at CSL Rd & Rosedale, so I helped her shop there often before she passed away
          …We lived a few years @ Coronation & Fielding (where I met Ferguson)
          …even when We lived on Ridgewood (CDN area), I remember My Dad only a couple years after getting that first TV, driving what seemed a forever trip to this HandyAndy Store to buy My first pair of hockey skates, pads and a red Raleigh bicycle …had NO idea where it was (I was maybe 6, 7 years old :) ), but found out later it was the CSLuc Shopping Mall (actually at that time, in the ’50s, it was only a strip mall) …and, behind the strip mall (CSL side) was all farmland if I am remembering correctly

…I use to bump into Red Fisher quite often at the CSLSC as well :)

_________________________________________________________

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Yah it’s all pretty crazy to comprehend.

12. Mavid says:

so do the Sens suck…serves them right for booing at the allstar selection..talk about no class..at least the Jets are doing it at a game

13. boing007 says:

Jets fans are constantly booing the Senators players. Looks bad on them. Show a little more class Winnipeg.

Richard R

14. Pucknut says:

I always liked the chemistry that Markov had with Komisarek. Do you think we could get Burke tomake a trade straight up to get Kaberle back to Toronto where he belong? Markov got hurt after Komi left.

• nickster13 says:

I would make that trade, Komisarek for Kaberle. It fills a need, and who knows, maybe Komisarek would feel comfortable again. I might get some flack for saying this, but Komisarek did have some good years in Montreal.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

• Bozo McBozo says:

Until Komi kicks the crap out of Lucic, leaving him crippled, I have no interest.

• aemarchand11 says:

I am all for it. But, i don’t know what the backlash would be with him back in Montreal after leaving for the leafs… I still think he’s a great defenceman when he plays HIS game. Let others fight and he should just hit and hit hard, Emelin does it.

• Mark C says:

Why dosen’t Montreal just trade Kaberle for something decent, like the Wild did with Zidlicky? Komisarek seems pretty washed up, and he was here when Markov got hurt by the turd in TO at the end of the year.

• The Jackal says:

Sounds like a crazy enough idea to be good. I never understood why Komisarek took a downturn on his game after the Lucic fight, but I’m guessing he lost some confidence there and that season, all the fans were expecting the impossible from him and Higgins, and they weren’t treated too well in the end, that probably made him lose some faith in himself. I think Komisarek is a good guy, at one point we were touting him as the next captain. Maybe this is one of the rare cases where Montreal would revitalize him, specially if we were under new management that made it clear it was a fresh start.

• Duracell3 says:

So, Komi is going to save Markov from Price’s skates? Or how about Staal kneeing him? Let me know how that works out.

• Bill says:

Burke would do that deal and a dance of joy. He’d be trading a 4.5 million D-man who can’t play for one who can.

Komisarek is an absolute pylon these days. The reason he hasn’t been the same since Lucik is that no-one’s been afraid of him since.

How is Komisarek relevant to Markov’s injuries??

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Bill, you and I are some of the few that see Kaberle as a positive for this team. I see him as an excellent 2nd PP quarterback, above average passer with offensive skill, best used in a bottom pairing , and is AT HIS WORST on the rush, not so bad in D zone coverage. If he is your number 5 (perhaps paired with Emelin) your D is looking pretty good.

15. Mark C says:

If Tampa can hold on to their lead (unlikely I know), that pretty much locks up a bottom-8 finish for Montreal.

16. Bozo McBozo says:

Danny Kristo stood out in a losing effort by UND against Minnesota last night, but the guy who the Habs should take a look at is Joakim Ryan of Cornell – a real freshman on D who was voted to the All-Eastern team that can move the puck.

17. HabFab says:

Daniel Pribyl’s Czech junior team eliminated in their play-offs but not from his lack of effort. He had 5G + 2A in 4 games.

18. HabFab says:

Quebec up 7-0 after 2, out shooting Drummondville 25-5. Grigorenko has 3 assists.

19. Bripro says:

Completely off-topic, who would like this little treat if we sign a big centre of our own this summer?

Well it appears I will be watching Tampa/Philly tonight. Can’t say I recall ever watching these teams play each other before in reg. season.

Will now go try find a link to the Jet game.

21. HabFab says:

Timmins watching Quebec – Drummondville game tonight. Wonder who he is scouting?

22. BKAK72 says:

Take a look at French-Canadian hockey players currently in the NHL: http://www.hockey-reference.com/friv/birthplaces.cgi?country=CA&province=QC&state=

If you eliminate the goalies then you really have to dig deep to find any gifted talent. What’s happened???

– HABS INSIDE/OUT R.I.P. –

• nickster13 says:

Nonsense, look at all those 3rd liners!

We suck now. Its a (relatively) dry period. I see it around me in MTL, a lot of my friends are just not hockey fans. I dont know why i associate with them, but hey, its the reality. Once everyone becomes hockey nutso again, then the talent will follow again. Gotta “grow the game”.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

• HabFab says:

If you are seriously asking, I’ll tell you?

• newbrunswick troy says:

its no wonder the Habs have any Q born players on the team…that chart was not deap at all …in fact it says there is only a measly 38 Quebec born players currently on nhl teams in 2012!!!!
      and from what i had seen the list was all 3rd or fourth liners except a few..
      on that note i was watching the C.I.S tourny this past weekend and you could really see how the french players played a skilled with speed game, meanwhile all the english teams I.E western style hockey teams played a thrash and bash game???? fortunitly Mcgill won all the marbles. But but boys could you see the different styles!

• HabFab says:

How many French guys did McGill have?

Edit; checked and 6 non francophones.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

More French guys than you’d probably expect Habfan.

@NBTroy
          Gardiner MacDougall is a jackass who coaches boring hockey, but his teams beat skilled team nearly every time, so I don’t know how I feel about it.

“Patch the holes, ride it out, Play for 2015″
          - Sean Bonjovi

• Sean Bonjovi says:

@habfan:
          Moncton and UQTR are the only francophone schools with CIS hockey teams, so McGill’s able to recruit a lot of Quebecers.

“Patch the holes, ride it out, Play for 2015″
          - Sean Bonjovi

23. Clay says:

Just saw a story that asked ‘When Will a Male Pro Athlete Come Out?’ (http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/polling/2012/03/gay_athletes_predict_the_date_when_an_mlb_nba_nfl_or_nhl_star_will_come_out_.html)

Didn’t Sean Avery already do that by appearing on ‘Project Runway’? :D

__________________________
    ☞ Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

24. Dulljerk says:

NYI and NJ ownerships are not a joke. After all, they are ahead of us in the standings. (The Sudbury Wolves would be ahead of us if they played in the NHL). Geoff Molson is the biggest joke in the league.

“Is the little dog going to yap, or is he going to bite?”

So in New Jersey where you currently have two owners who absolutely hate each other, so much that the team is almost in bankruptcy. Then you have the Islanders owners who has multiple times tried to hoodwink the New York public into paying for his new arena by grabbing a huge plot of land that he would then develop. Molson may have his problems right now, but he is not anything like the current owners of those two teams.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Charles Wang:

- hired Mike Milbury and allowed him to destroy the franchise for years.
        - then he hired a competent GM in Mike Smith but meddled so much that Smith quit after 41 days.
        - then made his backup goalie GM.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Habfan10912 says:

I have a lot of sympathy for Islander fans. Its a rabid fan base. If you took that building they build in Newark and put in Hemstead, the Islander problems go away. Nassau County is on the verge of bankruptcy and its not looking good for my friends in the Island.
        Some of New Jersey’s problem is their lack of being accessable to the NY area press and fan base. Can’t compete with the Rangers but never built their own group of dedicated fans. That’s on Lou.

• Bripro says:

Given his history, I wouldn’t mind having Lou watching over our team.

• Dulljerk says:

Yes, and they have better teams than the Montreal Canadiens.

“Is the little dog going to yap, or is he going to bite?”

• Dulljerk says:

Yes, and they have better teams than the Montreal Canadiens.

“Is the little dog going to yap, or is he going to bite?”

• LA Loyalist says:

I suggest we have to give Molson’s until October 1 before we hang them in the Place Cartier.

If, at that time, it is deemed necessary by the commentariat, I will personally bring the Labatts.

25. HabsFansince49 says:

How can there be any question about Gauthier’s tenure? The Montreal Canadiens are in LAST place. Decision made.

• Habfan10912 says:

As Bill Parcells once said, you are what the record says you are. In this case its more then the record IMO. He has mismanaged at times, the workforce.

• dorvalhabsfan says:

well the fact that he only got the job 1 1/2 seasons ago to start…
        Markov was injured… thats another
        Gomez eats up 7 mill a season and he’s handcuffed
        PG is making the team bigger
        PG is not afraid to make moves as the season progresses
        PG has had a very solid track record as a scout
        the biggest reason i think he wont be fired is He hasnt been fired yet… and that is the biggest indicator…
        why fire a GM between season and draft? it takes aqway the opportunity to deal pieces a new GM wouldnt want, as opposed to possibly acquiring pieces he would want…

Go Habs Go

• Habfan10912 says:

All great points Dorval. I can’t seem to seperate the Gainey era and the PG era. Somehow I think PG was involved in some of these decisions.

• dorvalhabsfan says:

maybe he was maybe he wasnt… he was assistant GM but the ultimate responsibility therefore is not his… it would be BG and George Gillett.. i mean thats what boss’ do right? take repsonsibility for their actions?

ill admit there have been hiccups along the way but not to the “Gross mismanagement” fans here are portraying..

Campoli… sure he’s not an everyday Dman, but he wasnt meant to be… injuries allowed him his roster space…

Kaberle… you know what? his 0.5 ppg isnt too shabby…

Bourque.. what else where we gunna get for somoeone who gave up giving 100% at 6M?

Go Habs Go

• Old Bald Bird says:

Haha! DHF, I thought, “What’s going on, this doesn’t sound one little bit like DorvalTony?” Then I double checked the name. (Sorry DT, nothing personal.)

• dorvalhabsfan says:

I like this DorvalTony character sounds like a likeable human being

Go Habs Go

26. HabFab says:

News from our NCAA prospects all eliminated from Frozen Four

Mark MacMillan; What a year, tough way to end it. So much pride and tradition in that room, it was a pleasure to be apart of such a great group of guys!

engelheather: Canadiens wanted Pateryn to jump into AHL action. He wasn’t having any of it…he’ll get his degree this spring.

engelheather: Mac Bennett: I’m not ready to leave this place yet. I love it too much. I’m coming back for sure.

• Stev.R says:

I thought I heard Pateryn was going back next year to get his degree and he wouldn’t jump to the AHL for next season. Or did I misunderstand?

So come playoff time… who are we all cheering for? Anyone who plays the Bruins?

• LA Loyalist says:

And I have to admit some admiration for Penguins – how THEY handled adversity vs how WE handled adversity.

And in the West, I don’t mind if Halak rubs it in our face.

Hope Cary has a great summer at the rodeo.

• HabsFansince49 says:

I’m backing the Penguins esp. with Crosby back. I also would like to see St Louis and Dallas do well. I’m still a big Michael Ryder fan (fellow Newfoundlander and all that).

• HabFanSince72 says:

If you forget their fans for a minute, and accept that Chris Pronger isn’t playing for them anymore, and remove from your mind the idea of Bobby Clarke celebrating a cup win, then the Flyers would actually be worth supporting. Great blend of skill and toughness. Never tanked (except for that one year but it wasn’t tanking). Likable goalie. Smart management.

But of course, Chris Pronger is still a Flyer, their fans are still the worst in professional sports outside of the city of Glasgow, and Bobby Clarke remains Bobby Clarke, so I hope they lose every game.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Speaking of Gomer… last year he had 8 goals and ppl were saying it couldn’t get any worse… this year he has how many? I say we keep him around and see if he can move into negative goal territory. That guys is my hero… I wish I could make money like that.

29. HabFab says:

Here is the first mock draft from a couple of nhl scouts;

30. DorvalTony says:

Yeah Bourque, it’s all Bourque’s fault.

1993 was a long time ago.

31. PatMac says:

At least the Canadiens are first in something, and by a wide margin.

• HabFab says:

Phoenix outdraws the Islanders! Wow!!

• Bripro says:

And the Devils…not so hot either. Surprising!

The New Jersey Ownership and Islanders ownership are a complete joke. Eventually this pathetic type of ownership has to rear its head by way of ticket sales. On the flip side of the coin, this is probably only helping the Rangers.

• Habfan10912 says:

Part of the Devils problem is where they built the arena. The Islander problem IS their building. The devils are also not very media friendly. Player and coaching staff are seldom allowed to do press interviews. Lou the dictator

• gmur says:

5 of the top 10 teams are Canadian. With a Canadian population less than California State’s, we manage to have 5 of the top 10 teams in terms of attendance?
      Give Quebec a team, Bettman… and Saskatoon and Hamilton while you’re at it.

• HabsFansince49 says:

8 1/2 million suckers one might argue. But Molson’s love it – keep PG as GM; it really doesn’t matter – ice any team and the fans will come.

32. alwayssunny says:

Awkward moment in the scrum. It’s been years since I’ve seen a Habs beat guy speak out of place like that. What does Cunneyworth or anyone else expect from Bourque anyway? He’s 30, not 22. He’s played the same way his whole career, you expect he’s going to suddenly become this guy who crashes around out there? He’s a tough guy if he is backed into a corner but that’s it. Why do you suppose every single fan in Calgary was happy to see him go? Maybe our GM fooled everyone when he told us he acquired him to make our team tougher. Please, Pierre, no more jokes.

• gmur says:

The new Montreal Canadiens version of the Gordie Howe hat trick…

0 hits, 0 fights, 0 points (or shots)… in 20 minutes of play…

It’s the Rene Bourque hat trick!

• LA Loyalist says:

I am sick of repeating this, but L.A. would have given us more. I doubt Pierre ever talked to them. Maybe they’re not vegan-friendly.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I agree, the Cammy contract makes much more sense to LA, and he has the proven playoff success. Could you imagine the Habs adding Johnson to the backend? WOW, just WOW, PG, atta boy.

• RGM says:

Is that code?

———————–
            GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
            “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• boing007 says:

I was hoping for Jack Johnson as well. Ends up in Columbus. Bleh!

Richard R

• LA Loyalist says:

A Scott Gomez hat trick:

18 minutes of ice time
        __________
        __________

Get creative, guys :-)

33. Bripro says:

Here I sit, always ‘a lurkie
    While friend and foe speaks of hockey
    Ne’er a withheld, opinion of said
    From early rise ’till time for bed

Twas a year to forget, our tanking team
    As fans’ breaths and Hab’s best rand out of steam
    Wonder, do I, of future’s plight
    Next round, will they be readied for fight

I hear of tanking and selling out the store
    I remember yonder, of victories galore
    Of days when the men played with pride
    Where the game’s true grit was in their stride

Alienated are we by mediocrity, look out and see
    Whilst the game moves on, without scent of victory
    Yet my dream lingers on, for our tradition tell us
    Down St Catherine will come the victory bus

So grab your Guinness or your piss
    And forget this year’s disastrous miss
    To get pumped up, just take a look south
    Find’s a Bs cap-wearer, and punch him in the mouth!

34. gmur says:

Why not try to get Cory Sarich during the off-season? Hits (34th ranked defenceman with 137 hits versus 225 for Emelin), may be having an off-season offensively, but adds a 6’4″ body to the defence corps. Put him and Emelin together and they could make life miserable for opposing forwards.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Sarach would be an upgrade and his style of play would be much more valuable, in my opinion, than Weber, Diaz or Campoli.

Sarach isn’t a heavyweight, I’d like to see O’Brien or Allen myself, but I’d take Sarach as our 6th D any day over the current status.

• DorvalTony says:

Okay but we need more than two hitting d men. (PK shouldn’t be counted on to do too much of that).

1993 was a long time ago.

35. jols101 says:

Just want to agree with everyone below saying we need a big, bruising, yet mobile #5 or #6 Dman.

Where i differ from most is that i beleive Tinordi will be that guy next year. I am not a scout and havent seen much of him except for the world juniors and he was really impressive. However, the people that do get payed to evaluate young talent all have said he is a man amoung boys in junior and i checked his stats and in addition to being listed as 6 “7″ and 225 pounds he leads the OHL in plus/minus. No easy task.

To those who say he needs to “fill in” with a year or two in the AHL, i beleive he has the size and ability to be the guy we need next year…

36. The Dude says:

Next year this team and all it’s players will be back and will show the world they are the best ….Kaberle will be the point leader ,Markov will be the fastest,Staubitz will lead the league in goals and Borque will be heavyweight champion.All the first and second year players will lead the league in all other positive categories . You’ll see …all of you! Long live Gauthier! That’s the way I see it now that the roofies have kicked in…

37. HabFanSince72 says:

Montreal is getting competition from all sides.

First Quebec takes the first step toward an NHL team.

And now this! from Ontario.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

38. Mr_MacDougall says:

A couple of areas I’d like to mention about next seasons lineup.

Why not play Markov and Subban together? Most good teams play with a high end top D pairing to dominate 5 on 5 play. Copy that strategy. Is Gorges good enough defensively to mitigate Kaberle’s bad D on the rush? Or does the team look for a Number 3-4 guy to play with Gorges and move Kaberle to play with Emelin.

Travis Moen is a fourth liner. He needs to play on the fourth line if/when he is signed. He is valuable on the 4rth because he can fill in with the top 9 in emergency situations.

39. chilli says:

Kaberle will be 4th in points next season on the Habs.

Tre

40. Dr.Rex says:

Now that we are officially eliminated from the playoffs the idea of tanking is a legitimate one. Many team have done this in the past. Obviously not losing on purpose but maybe putting ourselves in position to experiment a little more. Budaj, Palushaj, Leblanc, Weber, St Denis and Blunden should all be gettign more ice time these last 6 games.

41. Ozmodiar says:

2012-2013:
    Max/DD/Cole
    Bork!/Pleks/Gio
    Moen/Eller/LL
    Staub/UFA or P.Nokie/White
    Darche/Paloooosh-Hi!
    ——————–
    Markov/Emelin
    Gorges/PK
    Kabs/Diaz/Weber

Pretty unimpressive, huh? EXACTLY!!

Considering the 2013 UFA and draft classes, I think it would be best for this team to sit tight for a year. Keep roster changes to a minimum. The turnaround in 2013 could be a quick one.

• aemarchand11 says:

Out: Palushaj, Nokie, Darche, (Diaz and Weber) Draft Trade
      IN: Gaustad (Move Ryan White to Wing), Gill/Jackman or Bryan Allen

“I have a different constitution. I have a different brain; I have a different heart; I got tiger blood, man.” – Charlie Sheen.

• Ozmodiar says:

Yes, I was thinking either Stoll or Gaustad for the 4th line (UFA).

I’d agree with adding Gill or Allen if Tinordi or Beaulieu are more than a year away from making the team.

I like Diaz as a 7th D.

• habs001 says:

With that lineup we are going for the 4th year in a row finishing somewhere in the twenties in goal scoring..granted we would get another top 10 pick…d would also be a big problem

• I’d really like to see Eller get a shot at being one of the top 2 forwards. There are moments when he reminds me of Mats Sundin. And yes, still other when he reminds if Mat’s brother, Steve.
      It would be dumb to predict a breakup of the #1 line (although they’re really not a #1 line on 20+ other teams), so..
      PAX/DD/Cole
      UFA/Eller/Gio
      Bourque/Pleks/White
      Darche/UFA/Staubitz (or someone with his profile)

PK/Emelin (I’d love to see PK free to roam a little but more, and think Emelin could be one of the best shut down d-men in the league pretty soon)
      Markov/Diaz(Weber) – Everyone plays better when paired with a healthy Markov
      Kaberle/Gorges – Weakest d-man, needs tge strongest partner.

42. aemarchand11 says:

I have a gut feeling the habs are going to re-sign/sign Hal Gill to another 1 year deal. Tinordi will not be ready for NHL hockey with his style of play, he needs some more weight to be very effective and the AHL will be perfect. Dont need to rush him just yet, Gill provides the perfect leadership and 5-6th quality plus PK.

I can see him back, and wouldnt mind it one bit.

43. Strummer says:

Kaberle was out last week with an upper body injury.

That was in support of the lower body injury his partner endured while giving birth around the same time.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

44. Ali says:

This is twice now that Pat Hickey has tried to embarrass Randy Cunneyworth. Hey Pat, where was the tough guy act when Jacques Martin was around?

45. Mr_MacDougall says:

Bryan Allen 4 years 10 million!

Edit: Sorry, it was just a suggestion.

46. FanCritic says:

BriseBois – GM Roy – Coach They’ll get rid of the deadwood and move this once proud francise back to respectability.

47. habs-hampton says:

I hated the Nordiques!!! HATE< HATE< HATE!!!!!

(I can't wait to have them back). and then I will HATE them all over again.

48. Hobie Hansen says:

Two players that will be under my microscope next season will be Kaberle and Bourque.

As much as I like Bourque’s mold – big, tough power forward – he doesn’t try to live up to it. I have no idea what goes on in his head but if 21,273 people can’t get you pumped up to play hockey you may want to hang’em up.

Kaberle is interesting in my opinion. His plus/minus (-19) looks real ugly as we can all attest to. However he’s only minus -7 in Montreal and has been a .5 point per game player since coming here. Emelin and Plekanec’s +/- numbers are real ugly as well. It is a team thing.

Would I have run out and traded for Kaberle’s contract like Gauthier did, not in a million years. But I do think he has the potential of having a good season next year and he does add considerable offense to the back end. If his even strength minutes are managed correctly and he plays with a very defensive minded partner he could be an important asset.

• shiram says:

Too bad about Spacek, he was quite funny, but not much of a hockey player anymore, so no big loss.
      Kaberle, if paired with a solid stay at home dman could have a good season.
      Bourque is more puzzling to me, he has been given every opportunity to succeed and instead he sucked.

RC : “Merci beaucoup.”

• Hobie Hansen says:

The Habs have to clear up that logjam on defense. Markov, Subban, Gorges, Kaberle and Emelin are all guaranteed spots next year. That leaves Weber, Diaz and a couple other guys fighting for the 6th spot.

Even though Campoli has looked a bit better recently it’s hard to imagine him back next season.

That sixth spot on the blueline should be filled with a monster, sorry McGuire haters, to play with Kaberle.

Forget about Diaz and Weber, they stink defensively and are as tough as my sister, and bring in a monster.

• shiram says:

Yes Campoli has improved recently, but he must be thinking about his next deal… I don’t think he figures in next year’s plan, as we already have some younger/cheaper player with a similar style.
          I do hope they move Weber and Diaz, they can be good at what they do, they just do not fit in with the Habs.
          I was saying Weber should have been traded at the trade deadline last season too.

RC : “Merci beaucoup.”

• coutNY says:

Shane O’Brien perhaps could fill the role until Tinordi ready…

• Stev.R says:

Matt Carle
          Barrett Jackman
          Carlo Coliacovo
          Nicklas Grossman
          Scott Hannan
          Steve Eminger
          Matt Carkner

Take your pick. Probably can’t afford somebody too expensive

• Hobie Hansen says:

Commodore, Allen…

• adamkennelly says:

how bout making a move for Engelland. – he can play a decent amount of minutes and takes care of business…Matt Carkner from 2 years ago would be perfect but I think his game has digressed.

• HabsFan24Cups says:

Campoli has improved? I guess you are correct if you consider going from 10 giveaways a game to 5

• shiram says:

Well he tries to pinch in offensively more, I see him trying to pad his numbers basically.
            He’s on 27 giveaways at NHL.com, not as bad as it looks on the ice.

RC : “Merci beaucoup.”

• Stev.R says:

Campoli has 27 give aways this year in 37 games. Thats an average of .73 give aways per game.

I know using made up numbers helps support made up prejudices, but it really looks stupid when facts are interjected..

EDIT: Shiram beat me to it.

• Strummer says:

All they need is a big shut down guy in the mold of Hal Gill (Tinordi?) and they would have a decent top 6

______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• jmsheehy19 says:

Agreed. I also wouldn’t have went after Kaberle, but don’t understand the out of proportion Hate he gets on here. He doesn’t hurt cap wise and he is good for 40 points a season. Get him a stay at home partner and he’s an excellent 3rd pairing, 2nd PP guy.

I have no love for Bourque, didn’t when he was a flame and that was while playing more prominent minutes. I don’t think he will be the 27 goal scorer here that he was there.

That said, he’s still big and talented and should be able to hit 20. In my mind, he should be paired with Eller on the 3rd line (likely with Moen unless they sign someone) and as a line they should aim for 50 goals.

Assuming LL is sent to Hamilton to develop with the influx of talent they’ll be receiving, that leaves a top 6 winger (to play with Pleks and Gio), a solid depth Dman, and possibly a 4th line C on the shopping list this offseason.

• Stev.R says:

I think people try to compare Bourque to Cammy which isn’t fair. Bourque was brought in to replace Kostitsyn not Cammy. From that perspective, if Bourque can put up 20 goals and play physical then that is all that is really expected of him. Hopefully a new season, and another year of development for Eller will help him.

I agree we need a top 6 winger. I think if we could get Parenteau for 4.5m to play with Pleks and Gio, then we have another dangerous line.

A fourth line of Blunden, White and maybe a guy like Winnik could sure up the fourth line.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I’d want to go see a Bulldogs game next year as much as I’d like to see a Habs game!

I could get a hotel and tickets in Hamilton real cheap I’d imagine? ;-).

I’m sure the Branford charity casino is just as good as the Montreal casino?

I’d do it for sure but i think the GF might chose a weekend in Montreal over Hamilton.

• jmsheehy19 says:

What? And miss out on all of the beautiful Hamilton architecture?

• Kooch7800 says:

I live in Brantford brother. Let me know if you come down. The dogs games are a lot of fun but the atmoshpere isn’t that great cause of the NHL sized arena with AHL crowd. Try and come for a Marlies vs dogs games…they usually draw a decent crowd.

Brantford Charity casino is your typical casino….Niagara is only a half hour from Hamilton as well. You could hit both

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

49. RGM says:

RGM’s blueprint to overhaul the Habs for 2012-13. http://bit.ly/HbsPrd Read and have fun eviscerating me afterwards. :)

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
    “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

50. adamkennelly says:

I expect a new GM, a new coach and major line-up changes. this is not acceptable in MTL…injuries hurt bad but lack of compete, too many AHL players and too many players underperforming caused the season we all experienced…if your team “on paper” is much better than your team on ice – you need a new coach and a change in attitude – simple as that…our team was way less than the “sum of their parts”

bury Gomez, trade Pleks and Gio – they have good value – make Cole the captain and move forward….

51. Bripro says:

As owner, there’s no way I would spend 10 million to buy out Gomez if there’s a chance that he’ll at least contribute to the team, even if it’s on the 4th line. Not because I support him, but it makes better business sense. Period.
    Ideally next year, Gomez is bought out, PG is gone, a no 1 or 2 draft pick, a power #1 centre, and a mobile experienced top D to turn this pathetic corps around. And I mean big….
    PK plays big, but when standing still, he can’t clear in front of Price.
    But all of this is pie in the sky, because none of us have any idea of this summer’s outcome.

If indeed we have a new GM and Coach, it will be interesting to see how the Gomez scenario plays out.

• Bripro says:

I guess it’ll depend on whether the GM feels more responsible for the product on the ice, or the bottom line.

You never know another GM/Coach combo may see value in trying to play him to see for themselves if he can help team or increase trade value. Yes we have all seen the same show for awhile, but a new GM/Coach may look at it differently.

Specifically I think in regards to the style of play in which the team chooses to play. If a more agressive offensive minded approach with the mix of physicality that is being added, perhaps, there is merit behind this.

• Bripro says:

I don’t know what you think Gerry, but I found that when he came back from his last injury (before getting his head slammed into the boards by Myers), he was playing some decent hockey. I’m with you. A more aggressive offensive mix, and it might make all the difference.
          Look how he played for us in the playoffs.

• nbsjfan says:

Regarding Business sense you must also not discount the fact that by leaving him in the lineup you are likely to increase the chances that this team will once again miss the playoffs thereby decreasing your gate revenue by approximately 1-2 Mill per home game. As a fourth line player Gomez would be useless. If you are goign to pay the guy them put him in the AHL.

• Bripro says:

You have to consider how he played with Gio, who will be back next year. He doesn’t know how to find the back of the net, but his transition game is very good. The problem is he seems to stall at their blue line. With Gio back, imagine them as a bottom-2 line. I know it’s a lot of money, but it’s better than shelving them. I don’t think he’s going anywhere..

• RGM says:

The ideal scenario is not a buyout for Gomez unless it’s under a one-time penalty-free amnesty negotiated in the new CBA. For the next two seasons the cap hit on the buyout would be $3.5M and $4.5M. Losing that much cap room is hardly an ideal scenario.

The truly optimal scenario is to have the penalty-free buyout that allows Gomez to go sign somewhere for dirt cheap and prove he can still be a viable NHL player.
      Second place is a trade that brings back an asset of any kind, be it a late pick or a mid-range prospect.
      Third place is bury him in Hamilton. It’s not my money being spent and there’s no cap hit.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• Bripro says:

The problem with the one-time buyout is the negotiating period for the CBA. It won’t come into play until after the season has started. I don’t know if they’ll be able to retroactively buy him out, so to speak.
        Scenario two won’t happen…which leaves play him here, or in Hamilton.

52. HabFanSince72 says:

Eat at least five portions of fruit and vegetables every day. More if possible.

Try to be physically active at least 30 min every day. More if possible.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

53. habstrinifan says:

Do you think that with the confirmation of the construction of a new arena for Quebec city that the possibilities of Patrick Roy with the Mtl. Canadiens have diminished. I would think Roy may be made the ‘face’ of any effort to ‘speed’ up the move to Quebec of a team like Phoenix… maybe even by next season to play temporarily at the Collisee(?).

And if Roy does go to Quebec and take Hartley with him (Roy and Hartley is a high powered and capable tandem)… what does this mean for MTL as far as making sure that our next GM/COACH tandem is able to command the same fervour, respect, and public excitement as a Roy/Hartley.

Like it or not.. with a team in Qubec, Mtl will have to fight for the hearts of the province.. and a Gainey/PG/JM/Cunneyworth type regime just WONT DO IT.

I think Molson will be smart to factor the PR ANGLE in choosing a gm/coach tandem… I hope he can doit without without sacrificing competence.

And would it put a little pang of regret and worry if ideed Quebec got Roy/Hartley as to whom do we get to go head to head with the duo. I gotta confess it would for me.

• HabFanSince72 says:

If I was Molson I’d be using all the dirty tricks possible to prevent the relocation to Quebec City.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• ed lopaz says:

relocating a team to Quebec City is a question of “when” not “if”,

and the Habs have known this for quite some time.

I welcome a franchise in Quebec City with open arms.

It will be great for hockey!

Also, I believe that competition drives corporations to become more efficient.

A franchise in Quebec City will eventually make the Habs stronger.

The Molson’s – in my opinion – agree with both my statements above.

To my mind the Molson’s have never said or done anything to get in the way of the move – nor will they.

Bring back the Nordiques!!

it will be great fun!

• HabFanSince72 says:

Remember the old saying “what’s good for GM is good for America”?

I believe that what’s good for the Habs is good for hockey.

Some people actually argued that the Bruins and Black Hawks winning the cup was “good for hockey”. Others that Tampa and Carolina and Anaheim winning it was “good for hockey”.

I disagree. Good is when we win. Bad is when we don’t.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• mrhabby says:

i was living in montreal from 85-87 and saw quite a few games against the nordiques at the Forum. let me say it was some of the nastiest , dirty , fun filled games i have ever been to. the atmosphere was electric and it was nuts. It brought out so many emotions in fans. i remember getting standing room only tickets and looking around at the crowd and shaking my head.. a great experience.
          I hope they return.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Fight for the hearts of the Provence eh?

Hopefully all the separatist reporters, politicians and people in general flock back to the Nordiques and let the Canadiens concentrate on winning hockey games.

• Cal says:

I believe strongly that Phoenix and the Islanders will move. Portland for the Phoenix franchise and Quebec for the Islanders. Wang is losing about $26 mil/season in Long Island and Quebec City will stop the bleeding.
      Frankly, Roy will want to be either GM/HC or just GM. He wants control, like he has with his Remparts.

54. Stev.R says:

but seriously, why do we joke around about Roy, Hartley, and Grigorenko.

We all know the big number one center we need is sitting in the KHL waiting for us to call his name: YASHIN!

As for the head coach, Barry Melrose is obviously the messiah we have been waiting for

55. FanCritic says:

This is where we have to improve as far as forwards go:
    All 4th liners: Darche, Gomez, Nokelainen, Paulushaj, Geoffrion, Blunden, White, Staubitz. Get 4th liners that can score more than 3 goals a season. while they’re at it look for a 3rd line maybe next year we could make the playoffs. too many 4th liners.

56. ed lopaz says:

I admit I’m a little surprised that some of you regulars here at HIO are still expecting Gauthier to stick around and, even more so, because you think that’s a good idea!

signing cole was awesome. a huge A+ for Gauthier.

but last summer, besides Cole, Gauthier shiit the bed big time.

letting Hamrlik leave – did not work out

Markov’s situation – did not work out

Campoli – did not work out

Kaberle – is ridiculed even by Boone, who is a fair minded journalist if there ever was such a thing.

Bourque did not work out

firing Pearn and then Martin – did not work out

hiring cunneyworth – did not work out.

you can rationalize and justify all of these moves all you want – each was done for a reason – but they simply did not pan out and did not give the team the boost it needed.

finally, and this is the key point in my mind.

Gauthier was NEVER hired by Molson.

And knowing how the NHL works, when an Owner pays 500+ million, he usually likes to hand pick who he puts in charge of his team – eventually – not always right away.

Eventually – is now.

Time has run out for Gauthier.

Whether you think it is justified or not.

When Boone and Fisher start to write about it, its because the whispers around the Habs office are getting louder and louder.

Fisher and Boone have enough experience to read the writing on the wall.

They knew when Martin was coaching on borrowed time, and they are right about Gauthier as well.

• shiram says:

I won’t go into why I think he should go or stay, but I just think that Molson as an owner might want to save some cash, Martin is most likely still getting paid, and with the Gomez situation, you have to feel he will be losing cash again soon.
      So keeping Gauthier for his one remaining year could save some dough. After that bring in that new Gm and he can do whatever with the coach.

RC : “Merci beaucoup.”

• HabFanSince72 says:

The earnings from a single playoff game are greater than Gauthier’s annual salary.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• shiram says:

Well the question would be does getting a new GM improve or assure a playoff presence next season?

RC : “Merci beaucoup.”

• mrhabby says:

if you keep the same group and the result is the same thats really bad…the fans will stay away and that hurts Molson cash floor..simple stuff. Molson has to make changes.

• ed lopaz says:

Shiram, its easy to keep Gauthier in another position, as they have done with Martin.

that’s the way around the cash wasted problem.

Gauthier is a scout, first and foremost.

he travels the globe searching for talent.

he will likely be asked to go back to scouting for the last year of his contract.

but he will not be kept on as the man “in charge” of this team’s future.

that ship has sailed.

• ABHabsfan says:

Can you see PG going up and down the aisles yelling ” cold beer, biere froid!” Or better yet, ” hotdog!, chien-chaud!”
          I would buy tickets just to see that

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
          Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• Hobie Hansen says:

I agree 100% Ed.

Gautheir has done surprisingly well at the draft table but he has done equally as bad in acquiring players in trades or signings.

When last summer’s UFA season was winding down and he did nothing to shore up the defense or add any significant toughness I was beside myself. Our need in those two areas was clear as day and he did nothing. There were several players available too!

He is 100% to blame for this mess.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I would add that his relationship with the media (and hence the fans) is condescending at best. In the entertainment industry, unless you’re a mega star (and even then), PR is useful.

Specifically, why did he not step in after the RC language debacle? He could easily have said “OK media, Cunny doesn’t speak French so I’ll make myself more available. I’ll answer questions about tactics, which player sits and which dresses, injuries, line combos etc … ”

He wants to play the grey eminence, and that’s fine, but then he should have a different role in the organization.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Bripro says:

Ed, I have to agree with Shiram on this one. It’s a business, and all businesses look to make fortunes, or lose as little as possible.
      Although 72 brings a good point about playoff earnings, that’s not a given.
      And even with a new coach, salaries bought out, new signings, none of these are guarantees of playoff appearances.
      Although PG has indeed made some brain-dead acquisitions, most notably Can’tpoli and Kaberlazy, and the fact that I too would love to see his butt out of there, I don’t see the Molsons benefitting financially from releasing him outright and for this reason, I too think he’ll stay.

• ed lopaz says:

the issue of Gauthier’s salary is not significant.

this is a big enough business to shift Gauthier to a different office.

• shiram says:

It is significant, if replacing him does not improve the team’s chance of making the playoffs, there is no sense in replacing him.

RC : “Merci beaucoup.”

• HabFanSince72 says:

For sure.

But I think Ed’s premise is that Molson thinks Gauthier is under-performing.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• shiram says:

Who knows what Molson thinks? He never speaks.

RC : “Merci beaucoup.”

• Bripro says:

If the rumours are true that G Molson negotiated the trade-deadline deal that saw AK disappear, then maybe there’s a chance that PG leaves. And seriously, I agreed with both your points, but the financial implications are into several millions of dollars, if he follows the fans’ expectations….and that includes buyouts.

• dorvalhabsfan says:

signing cole was awesome. a huge A+ for Gauthier.

but last summer, besides Cole, Gauthier shiit the bed big time.

letting Hamrlik leave – did not work out… Its not like he wouldve saved our team… He’s a 7th dman on Washington which is a serious playoff contender… he’s not a savior… he’s a hustler but out with the old eventually..

Markov’s situation – did not work out
      And Wisniewksi did for Columbus? with him back the habs have played much better and i wouldnt want many other offensive Dmen then #79
      Campoli – did not work out
      Floater D who cares… he wasnt even supposed to play 40 games this year…
      He was picked up as a hope for the PP.. giving up an expiring FA who couldnt have gotten us anything isnt a loss… his point production isnt 5M but its not like we can complement his skills with good PP showings am i right?
      Bourque did not work out
      Bourque has more goals i think then Cammi.. correct me if im wrong but his 4M and size is much more useful to us then a player who coasts between the two blue lines and ragging on the team… not too mention we got a 2nd rounder and Holland am i mistaken? sounds like an a-ok deal to me
      firing Pearn and then Martin – did not work out
      everyone wanted Martin fired, now he actually did it he screwed up? you guys gotta get off the see saw
      hiring cunneyworth – did not work out.
      see above

finally, and this is the key point in my mind.

Gauthier was NEVER hired by Molson.
      then molson wouldve fired him in the summer… Gauthier has barely had 2 full seasons to work with so give it a break!

Eventually – is now.

Time has run out for Gauthier.
      No it hasnt… he has untill December January at most

Whether you think it is justified or not.

Fisher and Boone have enough experience to read the writing on the wall.
      So why dont they apply for GM?

I hope they’re wrong

Go Habs Go

57. smiler2729 says:

Bob Hartley, lol, isn’t that Bob Newhart’s shrink character from his ’70s show?

Yeah, he should coach. And get Jerry the dentist to be GM.
    Howard the pilot and Carol the receptionist could be the assistant coaches.

__________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

58. Donnie Murdo says:

I read a couple of posts ago that Bob Hartley is a potential candidate for the coaching job next season. It seems to have been met with a bunch of negativity, but I’m not sure why.

He has a reputation as a no-nonsense, north-south, hit-em-hard, blue collar kind of guy, which is exactly the identity this team is beginning to take…

He is a Cup winner himself having won with Colorado in 2001…

I think he’d fit well.

St Patrick? Not so much.

Question – where does Cunneyworth fit, anywhere, next season?

• Bripro says:

Cunneyworth did very well in Hamilton. If nothing else, I hope they give him the opportunity to continue on that path. As it is, he’s been left hanging. And if you consider how he used to play lights-out, I wonder if Hartley’s plan wouldn’t just be more of the same.

• Donnie Murdo says:

I think I’d be OK with that, difference being that I think Hartley has the experience and savvy to make the right decisions at the right times and to apply carrot or stick appropriately.

• Hobie Hansen says:

If I were Cunneyworth and the Habs offered me another position in the organization I’d tell them to shove it where the sun don’t shine.

Guaranteed there’s a handful of GMs around the league that would hire him as an assistant in a second, especially after all the nonsense he had to go through this year.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Cunnyworth was given a rare opportunity: to head-coach in the NHL.

In any case, telling people to shove it is rarely a good idea.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Oh yeah you’re right he was treated with total class by Gautheir and the organization. My mistake.

Cunneyworth isn’t taken back with given the opportunity to coach in the NHL and he might say he’s grateful in front of the camera but he played in the NHL, he could give a rat’s ass.

Nobody I know is grateful after being setup to fail for everyone to see.

• Bripro says:

His problem is that he didn’t turn the team’s fortunes around this year.
        If anything, they went in the opposite direction. That doesn’t look good on a resume.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Part of the reason he didn’t turn the team’s fortunes around is he was hung out to dry and all the players knew he’d be gone next year cuz he doesn’t speak French.

59. Bripro says:

For Boone’s “(Insert Joke Here)”
    Isn’t that the jersey he always wears?

Also, for the “Season winds down for the Canadiens”, did anyone notice that Cammalleri’s picture is front and centre?
    I wonder if this was done to show the obvious irony in his departure, and the team’s tanking of this season, or is the Gazette’s selection of images limited….

60. Feraco says:

A question for my fellow HIO followers:

Does anyone know if Getslef, Crosby, Malkin, Staal, or any other of the top / effective centers throughout the league started their careers at playing on the wing?

61. 69HABS says:

Roy will right this sinking ship they call the “M.V, Montreal Canadiens”

62. shiram says:

Eller and Leblanc not doing the special center drill.

RC : “Merci beaucoup.”

63. coutNY says:

Why aren’t we at least looking at Geoffrion more, are we affraid of moving up in the standings? We trade away a 1st rounder, we are dead last in the East, time to see what blocks we have in our rebuilding arsenal. Rotate him with Palushaj, Nokelainen, Staubitz, Bourque, or anyone for that matter… Lets see who are prospects now before we end the season.

64. BJ says:

I haven’t followed junior hockey other than reading about this years top picks. If by chance Montreal had first pick, is there a big difference between Grigorenko and Yakupov? Does anyone know or has seen them play?

• Phil C says:

I have only seen them play briefly on TV, so I don’t know personally, but according to a Bob McKenzie article, Yakupov is the clear No. 1. So winning the draft lottery this year would be significant.

“It’s Yakupov and everyone else,” one scout told TSN. “We always talk about where there’s a drop-off in talent in the first round. Well, this year’s it after No. 1.”

• SlimDiggity says:

Yakupov is considered to be the best player in the draft by a fair margin. They play different positions and have different styles of play. Yakupov is considered to be NHL-ready, where the book is still out on Grigorenko and his compete level.

I have seen Yakupov play in the OHL and World Juniors, only seen Grigorenko play in the WJC where he was hurt. Yakupov is definitely impressive but does not have NHL size. He does however play a very gritty game which has caused questions about his durability (he’s been hurt quite a bit this season).

• BJ says:

I guess then its a tough call. I remember when we had our last first pick in 1980 and seleted Doug Wickenheiser over Denis Savard. I hope if we did select Grigorenko that he doesn’t turn out to be the new Wickenheiser only because of the size factor.

• Malreg says:

But to be fair, Wickenheiser was by far the top prospect. He led the WHL in goal scoring, carried his team to the Memorial Cup, was named CHL player of the year, and was ranked #1 before the draft.

Any team would have taken Wickenheiser.

• BJ says:

True enough on Wickenheiser. Its just that we cannot afford not to pick the right guy this time around.

• issie74 says:

Tell that to E.J. McGuire and his scouts who rank the players. The teams only pick according to how the players are ranked and it is a crap shoot,looking at an 18 year old and projecting what they will be.

That is the draft.

NorthTOHab

• Malreg says:

Huge difference. Yakupov is the #1 prospect, AINEC.

Yakupov is goal scoring right-winger, Grigorenko is a play-making center. There has also been a few reports questioning Grigorenko’s compete level, and apparently he has not performed well against the stronger QMJHL teams.

• sampson12 says:

Yakupov seems to be much more of a sure thing, and he’s pretty much a lock to go number 1. Opinions differ on Grigerenko. The talent is there and some people have even compared him to Malkin, but many worry about his consistency issues and determination. He could go as high as 2 or slip out of the top 5.

• Propwash says:

Grigorenko is coached by the all knowing, next savior Patrick Roy……

_____________________________
      “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
      Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

65. mrhabby says:

Iam looking forward to Mike Boones end of year review as well as Dave Stubbs etc,etc.

66. Malreg says:

I have a feeling anyone expecting big changes this summer will be sorely disappointed.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Gauthier was still the GM. The only thing I expect to change is the coach.

67. Mattyleg says:

Question for those who are looking for Carbo to come back as coach:

Why did he resign from coaching in the Q? Does he even want to coach?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Cal says:

Carbo realized that the Cataractes are a hell of a bus ride away from everything.

• Malreg says:

The reason I say NO to Carbo is because of his lack of effort to get back into coaching in the NHL.

He doesn’t want to put any work into it. He seems content to just work at RDS part-time and wait for his phone to ring for a head-coaching position.

He doesn’t want to coach in the QMJHL, he hasn’t tried to get a job in the AHL, and he said recently that if Kirk Muller would have asked him to be his assistant in Carolina, he would have refused.

The only thing he’s done besides the short stint of his own QMJHL team, was coach Canada at the U-18′s I believe.

68. The Dude says:

We are about to witness BIG TIME CHANGES so don’t cry to hard with the shipping away of a lot of the athletes on this historic failure of a Habs team. It will be a Re-build in order to compete with the likes of Philly ,Boston and St Lou and will take time to assemble the right combo of BIG AND TALENTED players to get the job done = ANOTHER 5 YEAR PLAN…

69. boing007 says:

It is not a given that DD will be the first line center next season.

Richard R

70. Cal says:

Gomez in Hamilton would solve the “too many centers” dilemma. Hate to throw away a player after an often-injured year, but he’s never lived up to the insane price tag.
    Getting a possible point-per-game center is worth the cap dump. Buying Gomez out is not an option. Habs would have him on the books eating space for 4 years instead of 2.

71. shiram says:

So who gets the play center next year?
    DD is probably the only one safe, with this year’s decent production behind him.
    Plekanec was at the center of many rumours, and he still has good value. I think he stays.
    Eller and Leblanc both have been tried at center and wing, and it could very well be that one of the them suits up as a winger next year.
    Nokelainen, I have to hope the team can upgrade on him.

Also : 29th, that’s as good as tanking gets this season.

RC : “Merci beaucoup.”

72. shiram says:

Only 9 points separate DD and Pleks, and I think it’s a fair question to ask, who played with the best wingers and had the most stability there, this season? Going further I could include the special teams times too…
    So while DD has done great this one season, I would not throw Pleks away so candidly.

Also would be wary of sending a #2 or 3 picks and an established NHL player for an unknown quantity, in Huberdeau.

RC : “Merci beaucoup.”

73. ont fan says:

Pleks and our no 1 for Huberdeau? Who is this kid Crosby.

74. rjonline1 says:

Your opinion regarding Pleks is spot on. The habs would be INSANE to trade him, unless the deal is really great!

75. Stev.R says:

Not to mention how much time Pleks spends in the defensive zone. I know he take the majority of defensive zone faceoffs

76. coutNY says:

I thinking the same thing on Huberdeau. I understand the desire to get a local kid, but isn’t there desire also to get some size up the middle? Height 6.01 — Weight 171 – even if kid put on 20 pounds would he even be considered a big center.

77. boing007 says:

More often than not, it was Cole who did most of the hard work to get the puck into the opposing zone. Once everybody was set up DD came into play with his quick passes, etc. Other than that, DD was a liability in the defensive zone.

Richard R

78. gK_HabsFan says:

LOL…

Someone asked a scout on twitter about this same trade, and he said both Grigorenko and Yakupov are better than Huberdeau.

Also, I don’t get our fan base. For over 2 decades, we have wanted a number 1 center with size, and the fans want to pass up on him. We have been too conservative on the draft table, and I think we need to start taking chances. Grigorenko has the potential to be a star player in the NHL. I say go for it!

79. nbsjfan says:

What he said!!

80. Kooch7800 says:

Habs 17, I am afraid he will be gone. He just doesn’t produce enough to warrant a roster spot anymore. you have DD and Pleks as your top two centres and Eller as number 3. You can’t have a 7 million dollar centre man playing on the fourth line. I really thought he would turn it around this year but it has not worked out.

What Centre would you rather sit to keep SG in the line up?

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

81. RGM says:

It’s nice to have a dream, eh?

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
    “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

82. slamtherimtim says:

once Gomez is gone , will you be going with him ?

83. alwayssunny says:

Absolutely right. Makes me laugh when I hear people say they are going to release him and pay him 10 million. MAYBE after next season that discussion could be had. He isn’t going anywhere until then.

84. Habfan10912 says:

Thanks. I promise not to watch the balls. :)

85. RGM says:

Happened in 2007 when Chicago leap-frogged Philly and got Pat Kane. Flyers got JVR.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
    “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

@Habfan10912, so many things I could say in response to your post, (only because I know you) I will just say thanks for not watching. ;-)

87. Bripro says:

And what happens if the team has no balls? ;)

88. LA Loyalist says:

Habs have no balls. That’s the issue in the first place.

89. Mr. Biter says:

Leafs have seen it for 45 years and counting. I really think we are 2 or 3 players away from a top teir team.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

90. nickster13 says:

Nice!

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

91. Habfan10912 says:

your
    posts.

Thanks!

***Subbang Baby!!!***

93. HabFab says:

Subban?
    Anyway don’t you have homework to do.

94. LizardKing1967 says:

Price
    Subban
    Max-Pac
    Emelin

Do I need to go on.

Get a life.

Drive for 25. 2012-2013. Max-Pac for Conn Smyth.

I BELIEVE!

95. punkster says:

Frank, what he needs you can’t teach.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

96. Habfan10912 says:

Hey you two. I thought we shouldn’t be feeding the trolls.

97. Bripro says:

Yes he can, but he’d be arrested for assaulting a minor. ;)

98. HabFab says:

Actually gentlemen may I present Mr Troll.
    Up until today he couldn’t spell his name correctly, grammar was out the window and used only lower case. Today he frigged up and viola!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

99. punkster says:

Ya. I’m going to eat dinner now before my appetite is spoiled. I’ll check in later after his bed time.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

100. LA Loyalist says:

y
    r
    u
    obsessed
    w
    return
    barrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr?

101. HabFab says:

Frederick has 2 assists…yuk yuk!!

Maybe we can finally get a goalie that can consistently score.

103. punkster says:

Been missing that for years, apparently since Roy left.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

104. Mr_MacDougall says:

You are willing to anoint DD the number one center and consider Plek a “scrap” ? He is a top six forward, ideally a number 2 center.. your lineup has Gallagher on the second line? He is an AHL’er next season. Eller on the wing? I would keep Pleks over DD any day. IMO if the “lottery pick” is a top line center, start shopping DD.

105. Mr_MacDougall says:

What about trade for Huberdeau and Matthias?

106. RGM says:

Very well said. And Price > Fleury, too.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
    “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

107. Mr_MacDougall says:

By older more expensive car are you referring to Gomez?

108. Mr. Biter says:

Agree with Anti JM. Need some up grades with Staubitz for sure on 4th line. Don’t think Geoffrion will stick unless it because of his name or they would be playing him now,unless someone is telling RC not to play him so they can pick him up cheap for next year. Prehaps Gomez can be bought out and Boroque traded for another player who has not achieved their precieved value for their team.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

109. ZepFan2 says:

You’re a freakin’ nut job. :lol:

———————————————————————-
    “You cannot petition the lord with prayer!” – James Douglas Morrison

The Soft Parade

110. Mr_MacDougall says:

I thought you said you would include Gionta??

I Think the Habs will be a very competitive team next season IF they add a top 9 winger, have Moen on the 4rth, and add a 3-4 D to play with Gorges..

Markov/Subban
    Gorges/UFA
    Emelin/Kaberle

Also, the reason I would keep Pleks is I see him and Eller swapping roles as 2-3 centers nearing the end of Pleks current contract. I’d enjoy seeing Pleks play out his career in Montreal, especially considering what he and Gorges mean to the NHLs top PK.

111. Mr_MacDougall says:

With your strategy, a little more long term, you would have to consider moving Markov and going much younger. You seem to be leaning toward an almost full rebuild.

I like to think that the team can compete a little sooner, keep most of the prospects in Hamilton to gain experience, all the while searching for a number one center (possibly draft him this season), evaluate DD for another season while running Pleks/DD/Eller.

I think with a “kid line” as the second line the Habs would get crushed on nightly basis (especially with Eller and LL on the third line) I think there can be too much youth. Guys like Price, Subban, and Pacioretty seem ready to win now.. vets like Pleks, GIO, Cole, Markov, and Gorges are ready. A few additions, preferably a top 9 forward, and a 3-4 D (Brian Allen) would do wonders for this team.

Patch-DD-Cole

And there it is…

:lol:

———————————————————————-
    “You cannot petition the lord with prayer!” – James Douglas Morrison

The Soft Parade

113. Mr_MacDougall says:

Don’t underestimate the value of Pleks on the PK, he also has 6-7 high end years left in him. I value Pleks more than DD at the moment.. one season does not cut it for me.. I will be excited to see DD next year, he is fun to watch.