Video from Monday practice

Darche

A spirited Monday practice included scrimmages and wind sprints.
Mathieu Darche was out early and worked to the alternate rink with physiotherapist Pierre Allard.
Brian Gionta joined them.

• Practice winding down with wind sprints between the bluelines

• Larry Carrière having a long talk with Blake Geoffrion. My guess on the gist of it: “Keep your chin up, kid.”

• Missing: Raphael Diaz and Tomas Kaberle. The latter is NOT on paternity leave: he has an upper-body injury.

• Lines at practice: Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole, Bourque-Plekanec-Eller, Leblanc-White-Blunden, Staubitz/Geoffrion-Nokelainen-Geoffrion

Minnesota beats Vancouver 2-0. Habs in 28th again.

2. showey47 says:

a wild win over the canucks just put us back in a top 3 pick.

Oh wow. I just watched the Lucic-Komisarek mauling. And Komi has 23 pounds on Lucy. Just unreal.

Speaking of fights, the Rangers-Devils game started with a 3 ring circus boxing match.

And finally, for your viewing displeasure. Not one of the most famous Habs pugilists.

4. Habitant in Surrey says:

…if Guy Boucher or Kirk were still an option, They would be My preference before Roy …but like HabFab said, that ship sailed out to sea
    …win or lose, Roy will = Drama …pathos or good times ?, We will see
    …maybe Roy will set Us up for Nathan Mackinnon …Who knows
    …but I will certainly be amped for next season with Roy behind the bench
    …and hopefully that would include Larry Robinson …I also liked some other Commentor’s thought Guy Carbonneau would be a good special-team assistant
    …though, I have the feeling, if indeed Roy is interested in coaching Our Habs, that Patrick’s ego would prefer not to share the initial limelight with Larry and Guy
    …on the other hand, if Patrick did want Larry and Guy, that would be a sign Patrick’s ‘ego’ has matured
    …I don’t know how You other Mugs feel about it, but having Patrick, Larry and Guy behind Our bench next season excites Me as a Habs’ Fan
    …My beautiful departed Wife use to tell Me I too often would ‘think’ with the wrong head …maybe she was right
    …BUT, Roy, Robinson and Carbonneau behind the bench almost gives Me thoughts to move back to Montreal so I can feel the passion again
    …like Porkster said below, CIRCUS MAXIMUS !!!
    …but, I point out …I LOVE a circus ! …if We score more goals than the other clowns :)

_________________________________________________________
    HIS’ Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song: Morrissey ‘There is a light that never goes out’ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjObvIQtsLk&feature=related

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• naweed235 says:

as much as I share the same passion as yourself to see Larry and Guy behind the bench, I truly think that would be very unlikely…The word is
      Roy wants to bring Groulx and Tourigny with him… if Groulx does not go, it will most likely be Laperrier, his assistant from the Ramparts

95 Million over 5 years for Manning is what he will reportedly sign for. Unbelievable

Gary Bettman must be proud with the start of the Devils/Rangers game, all 3 forwards on both sides at drop of the puck get in fights. Ahhh but the NHL is concerned about headshots.

I never thought I’d say it but, I agree with HR1’s rant today.

8. kempie says:

Check out the graphic that SportsNet used tonight. LOL @ Dr. Mark Recchi.

9. Les Canayens says:

Out of curiosity I was looking at who is the head coach for the French (Europe’s France) national team and his name is Dave Henderson. He’s a Franco Manitoban but played his entire career in Amiens, France.

Then I stumbled upon the current coach for Amiens, Heikki Leime, a Finnish who played for Montreal Juniors (for 5 games though) in 1979, a couple of seasons in the AHL, and most of his career as a member of TPS Turku, Saku Koivu’s hometown team.

Now, I’m not advocating these 2 gentlemen as candidate for Habs head coach, although they both speak French (of the European accent), and one of them had some Montreal connections. But wouldn’t it be nice and cool if some kind of scout be dispatched to check out potential French speaking coaches outside Quebec and may find some hidden gems à la Mark Streit?

Then I came across this article:
    that explains why there’s a lack of European coaches in the NHL. It also mentioned Russian head coach Vyacheslav Bykov as a potential fit for the Habs since he’s fluent in French.

So I guess unless management really thinks outside the box, we’ll be seeing the same local French speaking candidates for head coaches. Not saying these Euro guys may be better, but since we’re already limiting our choices because of the language issue, why not try something new?

10. 69HABS says:

Why does Marty B give up soft goals to every other team in the NHL but Montreal?

11. Kimberly2u says:

Im still laughing at Komi’s face…I thought it was going to blow up it was so red

12. FanCritic says:

The Leafs are getting what they asked for. You don’t publish in a news paper how tough you’re gonna play for the rest of the season
    any team coming to town had better be ready to play tough. come on. when it comes to toughness the bruins can whip their ass anytime. they’re not stanley cup champions because they’re soft and you can bring up all the dirt you want on them, they have the cup and they earned it. and whom ever wants it won’t get it without a fight….when the habs learn how to play tough, not dirty, two different things they’ll win a cup.

13. Habsrule1 says:

Sorry but this needs to move up cause Ed is still spewing:

Wow…very closed-minded post.

Ever think Roy hand picks his goalies cause he wants the best? No…don’t look for a positive in that or anything. Price is one of the best goalies in the league. I say having a bit of help from the best of all time can do nothing but make him even better. He communicates with his players. You word this in such a way that it sounds like a bad thing. If Priceis not able to handle constructive critisism, I say see ya…but I truly believe he would welcome instruction from the greatest of all time.
    Roy has been a winner everywhere he has gone. He preaches offense first but has been in the top 5 in offense and top 6 in defense every year he has coached (3rd in both this year). He also likes his teams to stand up for themselves (ok, he’s been known to go a little overboard here).
    I’m not even saying hire him, but I sure as hell expect him to be considered and interviewed to find out if he is on the same page as I hope Molson wants this team to be on. If not, so be it.

Go Habs Go!!

• Bill says:

So nice you posted it twice? Lol :)

What is one good reason the Habs should interview a guy whose only coaching experience is with an amateur team that he OWNS?

After you’re done with that one, tell me why they should hire a hot-headed prima-donna whose anger problems are severe enough to be a matter of police record?

Sorry if the tone comes off wrong, not trying to be a douche, I think these are legit questions.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• 69HABS says:

1. He is french – the #1 requirement.

2. Torts is the same & he won a cup

Torts also coached many years in the AHL and ECHL.

• Habsrule1 says:

Is the ECHL really that much better than the Q?

Go Habs Go!!

• 69HABS says:

I meant hot temper

It’s coaching men under contracts instead of young men with no pro contracts.

I dont dispute coaching in the CHL as a great part of the learning curve. However, most who jump from CHL to NHL end up doing poorly initially. Pete Deboer in New Jersey didn’t do well in Florida, now he is doing well in New Jersey. How is Dale Hunter doing in washington? Craig Hartsburg in Ottawa, the list goes on and on. You are dealing with men instead of boys.

• Habsrule1 says:

It’s not like he gave anyone much chance to hire him before he took the job as coach of his team…and WON the Memorial Cup no less. He was offered a coaching job in Colorado and turned it down, after which he made it pretty clear he did not want to coach outside of Quebec for the time being. His record in Junior has been more than respectable and if you think there are not teams in the AHL and quite possibly in the NHL that would have wanted him, there’s not much I can say to that except I think you’re mistaken. That’s why I think he should be given an interview. Add to that the fact that not many can relate to what Price and what all the Habs players, for that matter, are going through pressure-wise and yes, I think he could be the right fit. Nobody handled the pressure of Montreal better than Roy. When people say players don’t want to play in Montreal because of the pressure, I always think we don’t want players who can’t handle the pressure anyway. And don’t try the Roy cracked under the pressure and demanded out argument. Tremblay played Roy for a fool and embarrassed him on purpose, and Roy being in the heat of the moment, made a mistake and said he wanted out. He would have stayed had they tried to iron things out. They chose not to, and have suffered ever since.
        He has had some anger issues, notable when he assaulted a door in his home many, many years ago. He has also made a mistake or 2 in the Q. Let he who is without fault cast the first stone. I think even Todd Bertuzzi is playing in the NHL and making a fine living after doing far worse than Patrick Roy ever did.
        Again, I am not saying to hire him, but don’t leave him out because a few fans can’t forgive a couplr mistakes that he made. Look at his record of being a winner and listen to his vision for this team and decide if that is the direction this team should be going in.

I have no idea if you’re holding a personal grudge or if you sinply think he is not qualified, but his passion and “hot-headedness” are not reasons for passing him up.

Go Habs Go!!

14. joshbenn says:

How come Brian Elliot isn’t in the talks to represent Canada if NHL players go to Sochi? And another thing: if Halak was canadian do you think he would go represent Canada in the Olympics?

15. novahab says:

PG will not be fired as GM of the Habs. The amount of injuries this team had this year will save his job.The fact he will introduce Roy as the next head coach will give him a boost.

• db says:

He’s a master of the slight of hand. As soon as someone is looking his way, BAM! Distraction.

If the Kings miss the playoffs and Dean Lombardi is available… would you want him as GM?

16. Corson27 says:

How sweet it is, most of the year the Laff fans and Toronto media laughing and running the habs down. Now oh look, their train has derailed. Lol

17. novahab says:

Hot off the press as soon as the Rampart’s seaon is over Roy will be named coach of the Montreal Canadiens.

18. Kimberly2u says:

Omg the Leafs only had 13 shots in the whole game…I don’t feel so bad about our Habs

19. Roy_s_WINK says:

The season has been over since Jan. for me.
    I take a great deal of pride in cheering for this team and I think this might be a franchise low (am I correct? yes? no?)

I do have a good feeling about next year with our core-youth and Price’s overall attitude.

If they don’t handle the Gomez thing this summer I think the Bell Centre should take out additional insurance for property damage next season.

20. L Elle says:

Nothing gets the juices flowing like a good old-fashioned Price/Halak debate!

It would be “funny” if Elliott ends up playing all the games in the playoffs. Should be fun around here.

I have wondered the same thing, Hell hath no fury like a Halakite forced to watch the playoffs with their boy on the bench!

• Mr. Biter says:

No, the Halekites would go to a Blues (if they have one) site and express their outrage there.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

• L Elle says:

Halak has a knack of dividing the fanbase. They have their own Elliott/Halak discussions on the Blues Forum.

But, by all means, let the exodus begin. :)

• Bill says:

That would be funny, but in all fairness Halak does seem to be their number 1 – really 1A – despite Elliot’s superior numbers. Halak will start. But Elliot is probably only one bad game away, and yeah, it’ll get “fun” around here.

Full Breezer 4 Life

21. The Dude says:

I’ll make two predictions : 1) Halak will win the Stanley Cup this year! 2)Patrick Roy will be the new coach of The Montreal Canadiens next season.

• 69HABS says:

If the Blues do win the Cup Halak will be the Backup!

• Duracell3 says:

Fearless prediction: Blues lose in second round to Nashville. SK74 and Tootoo combine for 4 diving penalties in the series.

• Marc10 says:

1) Fair chance (they have the right pieces in place and the right style_)

2) Doubt it. No coaching experience in NHL. You’d need a different GM to make that happen.

I’ll take a stab at a couple more…

1) PA Parenteau will sign with the Habs as a UFA. 4 year contract. DD will also be signed for 4.

2) We’ll end up drafting a D man at the Draft. Best player available… So not a center (again!)

22. Kimberly2u says:

Now 8-0 and game still not over

23. 69HABS says:

C’mon Leafs get one goal to spoil Floppy’s shutout.

24. ed lopaz says:

I also see Roy and Subban not seeing eye to eye.

I think todays young superstars are much better off being coached by a Kirk Muller type of personality.

Muller is fair minded.

Muller is open to discussion and knows how to communicate

Muller is the type of coach that gets his players to rally around him, because they WANT to play for him,

maybe Roy can change his ways, but I doubt it.

I favor the Larry Robinson and Kirk Muller personalities as coaches.

25. SUMO says:

All this talk about Patrick Roy as coach has me concerned. Not because I think he would be a bad coach but shouldn’t the discussion be more concerned on who would be the new GM?

I’m not sure about any of you but I have a horrible feeling Gainey and Gauthier will survive this……….

26. 69HABS says:

Roy does not work well with adults? How would anyone know that yet?

27. punkster says:

Hurrah for Roy

***Subbang Baby!!!***

28. 69HABS says:

People seem to hold the fact that Price was given the Golden Key to Montreal against him. Price never asked for the Roy & Dryden comparison. He done the best he could as a kid in the toughest hockey city in the world. Price was not handled properly by Habs management. That was Carey Price’s major downfall.

The miraculous Halak run where he won us a Stanley Cup, Price started on a team with no chemistry, by the time they found it Price’s confidence was shot & Halak came in with a gelled team.

With the state of the Habs this season Halak would have faired no different!

29. boing007 says:

To Bripro,
    A pleasure to be of service. If you are curious about other beers, Furstenberg (Pilsner) at the same SAQ is also very tasty. Brewed in the Black Forest. Reasonably priced, compared to Kostritzner.

Richard R

@HH, for the record, when Price plays for Canada in Sochi (assuming NHL players attend) what will be your angle?

• HabFab says:

He will be cheering for Slovakia ;)

They were dominant at the last Olympics, still can’t remember who was in net for them.

• HardHabits says:

I always cheer for Team Canada. Except when Clarke two-handed Kharlamov. I was so disgusted I could care less that they won. I stopped watching the tourney after that slash. Always hated the Flyers from that moment on. Couldn’t believe they beat Boston in OT. I was sickened by Clarke prancing around after the winning goal. Had to sit through the Fog Bowl. Then came the glory. Robinson pounding Schultz. And Clarke with his head and tail between his legs.

Read my rant below.

• Bill says:

Top Five Reasons Price Will be on Team Canada in Sochi

5) Price just gets everything handed to him
      4) They had a red carpet lying around, must as well use it
      3) “Yzerman” is a Cyrillic anagram for “Pricebot”
      2) Playing for woeful Canadiens amazingly not enough to discredit him
      1) Couldn’t get Halak to take out citizenship

Full Breezer 4 Life

• HardHabits says:

I’ll always support Team Canada (except when Clarke slashed Kharlamov ). They are my #1 team.

And a good team it is that he’ll have in front of him then. But let’s see how he does first with that good team. I do remember Roy losing to Hasek. Price wont be the only good goalie in the tournament.

For the record. I liked the Price pick. I followed his exploits at both the WJC’s and the Bulldogs Calder Cup run.

What I don’t like about Price is his anointment. First he was called Jesus Price by the fans. Talk about putting him up to high expectations. In one fell swoop he was to be the saviour, perform miracles and lead the throng to the Holy Grail.

After the Calder Cup win, rather than keep him in Hamilton to have him ride the bus and keep him lean, mean and hungry with the intent of bringing him up for the play-offs a la Ken Dryden and Patrick Roy, Gainey decided that there was nothing else he could learn in Hamilton and that he was NHL ready. He traded Huet and put Price in the number 1 roll and I will admit he did quite well in the regular season. However we all saw how a 25 pound heftier Price performed against Philadelphia.

Then there was the Centennial. Halak was already playing better than him and rather than use Halak during the play-offs Gainey fires his best decision to go behind the bench and ensure that Price gets the starts. Fast forward to the bread baking news conference.

The next season Halak smokes Price and wrestles the number one role from him.

Player Name GP Min GA GAA W L T Svs Pct EN SO
      Jaroslav Halak 45 2630 105 2.40 26 13 5 1281 0.924 3 5
      Carey Price 41 2358 109 2.77 13 20 5 1135 0.912 1 0

The numbers don’t lie. Halak played more games, had a better GAA, W-L and sv%. Plus he had 5 shut outs to Price’s none. Then Halak went on to do the unthinkable and take the team past the Caps and Pens to lose in 5 to the Flyers where in 3 of those games the Habs got shut out. But yet according to the Price followers Halak got exposed.

After the miracle run, Halak got traded and Price held onto. Granted Price did great last season but again it is the handling. No real challenge in nets with Auld as back-up. He had to play 72 games to bring the Habs to 96 points so undeniably he was the team MVP.

But it is a model that does not inspire confidence and worse is not producing results. It is not Price’s fault. There is little doubt in my mind that he would excel on many teams in the NHL. However I also think he could falter on many others.

Price could walk as an UFA given the chance. What contingency plan do the Habs have for that possibility? It’s a whole lot of eggs being thrown into one basket. So far it’s producing a pretty good draft pick and not much by way of play-off success.

Wonderful response, you managed to cover all your bases by saying you liked the draft choice. Of course you then go on to blame Price for the Mgmt’s decsions to go with him instead of Halak in the long haul.

You do realize that eventually those splinters from riding the fence will fester right?

• HardHabits says:

I don’t blame Price. I put the onus on management, or rather mis-management.

BTW. I don’t ride fences. I jump them.

From what I see you ride them well, and how you can possibly come off saying you don’t blame Price given all the Sh%t you throw his way season long is beyond me. Ever heard of the boy that cried wolf? You have been crying wolf all year, so I am not buying what you are selling.

31. habsolutely416 says:

just thought id put this out there lol…its going to be awkward when the habs play their last home game and thank the fans after that game…lets hope for their sake (the players) that they win that game…will the fans boo either way?

ill be in the slot ;)

32. Kimberly2u says:

As bad as we’ve played this year we’ve never lost 7-0 and still another period to go.. to Boston

33. otter649 says:

Leafs losing by a converted touch down to Boston – Bruins 7 goals & Laffs 7 shots on goal after two periods…….

34. saskhabfan says:

LOL 7-0 bruins.Hey retromikey how about those “slowly improving” leafs you were bragging about? More like imploding.