Multimedia from Thursday practice

PriceBrossard

Are there Canadiens who won’t be seeing the Brossard training complex again?
That’s the question that will be answered by Monday afternoon, when the curtain falls on the trade deadline.
The team had a spirited practice before boarding a charter flight to Washington.

As the focus of a good-sized scrum, Andrei Kostitsyn said he hoped to stay in Montreal and had no desire to join his brother in Nashville.

AUDIO: Randy Cunneyworth

• Minor scuffle: DD and Subban

• Louis Leblanc is out in a powder-blue jersey that 98,5 play-by-play announcer Martin McGuire says is identical to the jersey the Nordiques wore for their first NHL season. I have no clue what this may signify.

• Alexei Emelin’s wife had their second daughter yesterday. He’s not at practice and will join the team in Washington.

• Mathieu Darche is out  with Louis Leblanc and Aaron Palushaj with an upper-body knack, picked up against Dallas.

• Lines at practice: Tomas Plekanec centring Lars Eller and AK46, the DD line, Scott Gomez with Rene Bourque and Ryan White, Petteri Nokelainen

• Alexander Ovechkin is early off the ice at Washington’s morning skate

1. Rooster says:

Still doesn’t make the Gomez trade any better… A bad deal is a bad deal that deal for vinny was just so absurd that Ofcpurse no gm would ever take it but the Gomez deal is just as bad just cause our gm actually went through with it

• --Habs-- says:

Maybe Gomer will come back next year and score 30 goals and we’ll all be singing Kumbaya my Lord and eating BBQ chicken at Chalet BBQ forever as a penance for talking so bad about him. Second thought Na I don’t think so we can keep talking crap about him without fear.

2. Rooster says:

The gomer trade was no doubt the worst trade since Patrick Roy and and that vinny trade wouldve been the worst in franchise history by a mile….both are horrible moves

• --Habs-- says:

The Vinny trade was close. It almost happened. Somebody must have slapped Gainey behind the head. Maybe Jean Beliveau walked into his office and said what are you doing you stupid bloke

Looking at the play-off picture thinking who could be interested in AK46. In the East I would guess New Jersey and in the West Vancouver. I basing these assumptions on what I think would be a good fit for AK. I think he and Kovalchuck could be way dangerous. Ditto for him playing with the Sedins.

4. --Habs-- says:

Hey the Leafs have finally made it to our end of the center line in the conference.

5. Rooster says:

You can’t say one terrible trade is a good trade because they di that instead of making trade 30x worse..

• --Habs-- says:

Rooster just trying to make it ALL more “palatable”. Makes you say the name Gomez a bit easier. Look at it another way! Imagine Lecavalier here and PK, Max and Price in TB.

6. --Habs-- says:

You have to look at the bright side of the Gomez trade. TB wanted Price, PK and Max for Lecavelier a few years ago. Instead we got Gomez for Ryan McDonagh & what Higgins. As they say in Dances with Wolves “GOOD TRADE”

7. H.Upmann says:

Are we going to the confernce finals with Gomez anytime soon? get real

8. H.Upmann says:

Never thought it’d look this way, but it’s starting to look like the Gonez trade will completely overshadow the five or so years that BG was at the helm, and will be his legacy as gm….which sucks

• habs17 says:

it was all good when he took us to the conference final’s centering the top line

President of the Scott Gomez Fan Club

(I support Scott Gomez)

• HardHabits says:

He? In that run there was Halak, Cammy, Gionta, Plekanec, Gill and Gorges way ahead of him in terms of contribution.

And it was good back then. Not any more. Not since then at any rate.

Gomez should be on Battle of the Blades soon with his sweet pirouette moves.

9. --Habs-- says:

Oilers up boys and girls! Keep up the good work Oilers and Carolina.

10. --Habs-- says:

Gomez scored! When? On our net or their net!

11. K-hab25 says:

LMAO!!! I responded to the 2 Price hating trolls at the bottom and my posts were deleted. I guess now I get to whine like a b***h about the mods being out to get me.

12. habs17 says:

my sources are telling me, that price will NOT be moved on monday and the habs will look to lock him up long term

President of the Scott Gomez Fan Club

(I support Scott Gomez)

13. habs17 says:

WHOOOOOOOOOOO last place

President of the Scott Gomez Fan Club

(I support Scott Gomez)

14. punkster says:

Oh goody, another Price versus Halak chirping contest.

Plus ça change…

***Subbang Baby!!!***

15. habsfan0 says:

Habs braintrust..Gauthier,Gainey & Molson will be hunkering down this weekend to try and figure out what to do before trading deadline…

One shudders to think what they’ll come up with.

• Stev.R says:

They are going to trade Kos for picks and prospects.
      They might trade Campoli and Darche.
      That’s it.

They’ll draft whoever Timmins tells them to.
      They’ll sign 1 or 2 or 3 players in the offseason, depending on whether the think Leblanc or Geoffrion is ready to play full time in the NHL.
      They’ll buyout Gomez.
      They’ll hire a new coach. Probably someone who was an assistant coach on another team.

• punkster says:

Pretty reasonable take on the situation SR. The names may change but I’d be willing to bet the number of moves is pretty close. They decide to hold off on AK though, sign him first then deal him later, depending on the offers.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Stev.R says:

I think Monday will be when we can get the most for him. A lot of teams want to add another potential top 6 scorer. As there is really only Nash and Hemsky who are also available, we may be able to pawn him off on a desperate team.

• HardHabits says:

Buying out Gomez would cost $6,666,668 and take away $11,380,954 of cap space over 4 years for a saving of $3,333,332 instead of costing 10 million over 2 years if the Habs demote him with no cap hit.

It will be interesting to see which route the Habs take.

• habsperspective says:

Brain trust, such a wrong word in so many ways. More like Clusterfock. If there are ways to improve on this season demise, im sure theyll find it.

16. HabsFan82 says:

I can only see 3-possible guys traded from the habs
    AK, Campoli, Darche. management don’t seem to like AK someone will probably get him for a Gomez deal…..

• Habsrule1 says:

Moen would be gone 100% if he was healthy. I think we might be surprised at a move or 2. I can see Weber and/or Diaz being moved given that we have better D-Men in the pipeline.

Go Habs Go!!

• Stev.R says:

They have already said they aren’t trading Moen and they will be resigning him whether he was healthy or not.

• Habsrule1 says:

And management would never say that if it wasn’t true….? He would have fetched the most. Sadder than I thought if they were not reaqdy to trade him.

Go Habs Go!!

17. Habsrule1 says:

Give the Halak stuff a rest. Price would be doing just as good or better on that team. ffs did anyone ever see Elliott play before this year? I did and it wasn’t pretty. I would be a good goalie on that team, it seems.
    I think Price will be the better goalie in the long term. Who really cares how Halak does? Some of you act like we traded Patrick Roy again.
    Get the f over it, will ya?

Go Habs Go!!

18. habsperspective says:

Atlanta is leading the SE, and the Habs are dead last in the East.

Nothing else to say, that will make sense.

19. The Dude says:

First of all the Molsons know at this point to wave the white flag! 2)Gauthier has been told to finish the year and then pack his stuff,he’s done! 3) No trades until new Management! 4 )The dynamics of this years Habs are in take a picture mode…off season moves will be game changing, 5) Vive les tricouler!

• Habsrule1 says:

There will be trades before new management. Whoever got the final call on the Gill deal did a great job and should keep it up!

Go Habs Go!!

20. Rooster says:

I’m not saying pg shouldn’t move pleks I’ve been saying he should do that for years now but id be down to have both blunden and moen on our team next year an I doubt anyone will trade for darche or weber I’m not against trading them I’d also be down to trade moen as a rental but I think pg should resign him in July

21. otter649 says:

Well with The Carter & Vermeoitte (sp) Trades – The CBJ have definitely soldified 30th place overall but it would be funny if they lost the lottery draw and ended up with the second pick overall instead of number one…..

22. HabsFan82 says:

Knowing PG. He’ll probably trade AK for Injury Prone Hemsky

• SlovakHab says:

I dunno but PG just turned Gill into Geoffrion and 2nd rounder. Not bad if you ask me!
      Your idea doesn’t make much sense, why would PG do it?

• Stev.R says:

What do you mean knowing PG? He’s has made pretty much nothing but good deals.

• HabsFan82 says:

Stev. He sure has that’s why we’re in 14th place in the eastern conference. and the Gil Deal don’t get too excited until you see it in place….

• Stev.R says:

I believe we’re in fourteenth place because of 1)injuries, 2) lots of youth, and 3) underperforming star players. I fail to see how PG could have predicted and done something about any of those three things.

Going into this season we had a team that finished sixth last season and took the Bruins to game 7 despite being ravage by injuries. We had a lot of young players with another year of experience, and we signed a guy by the name of Cole we all expected to be a good fit. Everybody on this site was optimistic that with a healthy, more experienced team, we had a solid chance to finish higher than we did last year. However, unexpectedly, this was not the case.

First off, Markov was still injured. Doctors expected him to be ready, they were wrong. Not PG. PG knew that with Markov out it left our three rookie dmen exposed, so he went out and got the only decent defenceman available (Campoli) for almost nothing, as a safety net in case one of our young dmen couldn’t hack it. Unfortunately, Campoli got hurt and never got into a groove, but fortunately our 3 young dmen turned out not half bad.

Secondly, we realized early we needed a shut down centerman as it was becoming apparent that Engvist was not ready. PG being the proactive thinker he is, went out and got Betts. Solid pick up, except he was hurt and had to be returned. We then got Woywitka, who got stolen from us by New York. This really hurt because then White went down with an injury. Again nothing PG could have done about this.

Third problem. Our once titan of a powerplay had unexpectedly gone to shit. Why? Who really knows, but we couldn’t do it anymore. What were we to do? We changed the pp coach but that didn’t do anything. It was obviously the players faults, not PGs. that the pp wasn’t working. So what did we do. We gave up an aging, oft injured defenseman, for the only decent pp quarterback available in the league. This new player also happens to be scoring at .5 ppg, and his salary at 4.25 is such a non-issue its amazing people freak out over it at all!

What did we do next, we traded another oft injured underachiever for a roster player, a second round pick and one of the best players in the WHL. Although Bourque hasn’t lit it up since he’s been here, he’s done more than Cammy ever would have for half the price.

Next, we traded an aging UFA for much more than he was ever worth.

So before you think PG is to blame for every little thing, you should really get it through your head that he has done more to try and get this team to start winning than almost anyone else in the organization.

23. frankcasting says:

I can’t wait for this pathetic season to end, and for Molson to clean house, rebuild this once proud franchise.

Loving the Habs since 1965

24. Rainrocket16 says:

Glad Carter is not coming here~ I hate that dueche! I wish I made millions to cry about my job and where it takes me. I get sent off to foreign countries to serve my nation and don’t make a fraction of what he gets. You won’t here me complain about it!

25. DorvalTony says:

Halak wins another shootout, bettering Rinne and moving THIS close to 3rd place in the NHL:

“Okay everybody take a Valium.” – Rene Levesque

• HardHabits says:

Yeah but Price is worth 9 million a year.

• habsfan0 says:

Yeah…9 million shekels

• The Dude says:

Some here would say 10 million and then kiss their Price poster,lol

• SlovakHab says:

Wtf? what sort of comment is that..
        first, what does Price have to do with Halak
        second, freakin Halak made 1 save in that shotout, STL scored 2 goals on 2 attempts. I guarantee you that every time your times scores 2 goals on 2 shots and you will have to make 1 save (Martin Erat missed the net), you will win the shootout.

Wake up people, you are embarrassing yourselves

OT SO
        T.J. OSHIE STL GOAL
        COLIN WILSON NSH SAVE
        ANDY MCDONALD STL GOAL
        MARTIN ERAT NSH MISS

• Chuck says:

Yep. It’s a lot easier to win a shootout if your team, y’know, SCORES.

• SlovakHab says:

I wonder whether those people above are somehow challenged.. They do not realize that Habs score 0, max 1 goal in the shutout. Last time Habs scored 2/2, Price won his shutout too.

I don’t get this irrational hate for him.

• HardHabits says:

It’s called sarcasm.

Halak makes what, 3.75 per year. Some people here have said Price should get as much as 9 million. I don’t even think he deserves much more than 4 million if you ask me. Price is good, but he has yet to play in the NHL to match his WJC or Calder Cup form. Granted the Habs would be awful without him but that is another issue.

I think the Habs need a good tandem in nets, and if the other guy is playing better than Price go with the hot hand not try and prop up the anointed one.

The Habs didn’t need to trade Halak. They did it because he was a hero to many fans and that threatened Price’s position in the master plan.

I don’t mind the Habs having Price. I always liked the pick. I think he should have stayed in Hamilton after the Calder Cup win and only be brought up at the end of that season all hungry and pumped after riding the bus all year rather than 25 pounds over weight from eating too much poutine at 4 AM after drinking all night. He is also being asked to carry too heavy a load IMO in needing to play 72 games in the regular season. No wonder he can’t raise it to the next level come play-off time.

Is that a suitable translation?

• Chuck says:

Considering the numbers that the Blues have gotten from Elliott at $600,000, they might want to consider a clawback on what they’re paying Jaro. :)

• Habsrule1 says:

Thing is he has raised it to the next level. His team has not. On any team with a dream of contending for the Cup, he would be THE missing piece. The Habs are not there yetg, and while I don’t think he should get much more than 5M, he is the real deal.
            Watch the games and you might see it.

Go Habs Go!!

• SlovakHab says:

Just because some people said he will earn 9 mil per doesn’t mean he will.
            He is who he is, and just please realize that he is not ever scoring in the SO. Just because you disagree with some posters suggesting to pay him 9M doesn’t mean you really have to deflect your hate towards CP. i don’t get your logic.

• HardHabits says:

@SlovakHab: What makes you think I hate Price?

Read my comment at FEBRUARY 23RD, 2012 AT 11:38 PM.

• Mr. Biter says:

WE have to give Price a long term deal at a very good salary because if he gets a 2 or 3 year deal then goes UFA he’s outa here and probably 28 GM’s would be in the bidding for him

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• The Jackal says:

Good stuff, he now gets to tell his agent the Blues better make him #1. Anyway, it sure is fun to tout his horn since no one got the chance to do so last season, you know… when he sucked?

• HardHabits says:

No need to. Blues are playing him enough and treating him respectfully.

• Chuck says:

Playing him enough? I thought that he signed with St. Louis to be the #1 guy; they’re certainly paying him that way. He’s only played in three more games than his ‘backup’, who is outplaying him.

I don’t think that’s what Jaro had in mind when he signed on the dotted line.

• HardHabits says:

That is one way to look at it. Here is another:

At the time of the Walsh tweet, Price was not playing well and Halak was. Price was being given every chance to win but was losing. Jaro would come in and win. Price would be given more games.

In St Louis Jaro was playing bad and fortunately they had Elliot. They have two good goalies. They played Elliot more and what happened? Halak eventually bounced back.

The goal tending tandem is a good way of building from the net out. The Canes won with Gerber winning the season in 2005-06 and Ward the play-offs. The Wings did it in 1996-97 with Osgood taking most of the regular season games while Vernon played all the play-off ones.

Why not play Elliot most of the regular season games and save Halak for the play-offs?

The difference is in Montreal Price was the chosen one so Halak had no chance. The moment he out-shined the golden boy he was shipped off.

So Walsh tweeted something. Good on him. He hasn’t done anything since. Maybe he learned a good lesson. The bottom line is he was as justified as the wife of the reporter who asked why Halak wasn’t given a chance while the Thorough Bread was crapping the bed.

I don’t blame Price. I like Price. I also don’t blame Halak. I don’t care about Walsh’s tweet because he was only saying out loud what many were already thinking.

I think Price can be a very good cornerstone to a championship team. He can’t do it alone though. Halak is on a good team and Price is not.

Why can’t the Habs have a team that scores goals and defends well to make Price look good? Why should Price need to play 72 games just so the Habs can make the play-offs?

• Mark C says:

He’s on the exact same pace for starts that he had in his last season in Montreal. Not sure the point of that comment.

• Habsrule1 says:

I think the point was he and the blues thought he would be playing a lot more than he did his last season in Montreal, hence the huge raise.

Go Habs Go!!

• habsfan0 says:

I have a hunch Burke will try and get Halak for Schenn,Kadri,Komisarek, and the Monster.

• Chuck says:

And the guy in 3rd place ahead of him has played 19 more games.

26. anotherhab says:

Everyone can take the rest of the evening off — if there’s a Hab trade to be made it will be during the game tomorrow!!!!

27. Rooster says:

Honestly I also don’t know why everyone’s hating on carter. For under 6 million he’s a he’ll of a deal at 6-4 200 lbs he’s exactly what habs fans have been wanton for years a big scoring center. Imagine him with Eller/pleks an Borque. Ya sure he’s had 1 bad year on the WORST team in the league but hes still about to hit 20 goals for the 5th straight season and the four before this his lowest total wa 29 (29, 46, 36, 33) and he also (at the time) had the most goals in team Canada (whc) history! And all that for 5 mil…

And Halak wins the shoot out.

TSN Trade Bait article mentions Jaro Spacek for Carolina. Man o man. If they get more for Spacek than the Habs get for Kaberle. Wait a minute. Kaberle is part of the Habs long term planning. Along with Gomez. Maybe PG will beat his no play-offs streak he had with Anaheim.

30. Rooster says:

And pg is forsure not gonna deal pleas or gio before the deadline if gio is gonna get traded it won’t be till next season when he proves he can still play after his injury. And I double pg will move noks darche or weber cause hell straight up get nothing for any of them

31. Rooster says:

Wtf would we trade blunden? W wouldn’t get anything for him and white blunden and moen would make an EXCELLENT 4th line and cost us next to nothing!

32. anotherhab says:

While LA is basking in the orgy of getting the bromance of Carter and Richards together — could they slip up and trade us one off Brown or Kopitar!

Montreal is standing pat! No one is going anywhere until the end of the season! It is the Montreal way, nothing more.

34. TorontoHabsFan says:

So Voracek, Couturier, and fringe prospect Cousins for Jack Johnson and a 1st?

Given the circumstances, not too bad Howson.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

The Columbus GM put himself in a bad spot, but he got himself out of it. He deserves some credit for not Burkeing-it™ and sticking with Carter.

“Andrei Kostitsyn will be traded this month”
      – Sean Bonjovi

1000 posts (so far) on an off day.

36. anotherhab says:

Do Carter, Richards and Kopitar all play center???

37. H.Upmann says:

Wowww… What is Lombardi doing? Getting inspiration from BG no doubt. On the plus side, Carter to LA means we can stop this talk about coming to mtl. But man oh man, Penner AND Carter? Yeowch. Think LA just pulled a Gomez and screwed thenselves…. but hey maybe they might go on s miracle run!

38. chilli says:

If Pancake Penner becomes a Hab, I am disowning the team.

Tre

Florida just picked up a point and Winnipeg is ahead of Tampa 4-0 after two periods. That win would put the Jets 9 points up on Montreal while Florida would have an 8 point advantage.

If you didn’t think it was over…..

40. mdp2011 says:

Apparently, Jeff Carter was at a Blue Jackets fan festival tonight while he got traded. Could you imagine the outcry if PG did this?

St. Louis – Nashville. 4th and 5th over-all. Wow. Two very good teams. And they are more than likely going to meet in the 1st round.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

One of them would have been better off tanking and getting a good draft pick.

“Andrei Kostitsyn will be traded this month”
      – Sean Bonjovi

1998 Entry 2 1 David Legwand

St. Louis Blues
        2008 Entry 4 1 Alex Pietrangelo
        2007 Entry 13 1 Lars Eller
        2006 Entry 1 1 Erik Johnson

• Sean Bonjovi says:

The word entry is confusing me, so let me just rephrase my comment:

“One of them would have been better off tanking and getting a good draft pick ;)”

“Andrei Kostitsyn will be traded this month”
          – Sean Bonjovi

• HardHabits says:

Ebb and Flow SB. They’ve both been there and done that. Tanking has already bore fruit for both those teams.

The fact that the 4th and 5th place team in the West are also 4th and 5th over-all is all that needs to be said about placing the division winners 1-2-3.

Hal and SK vs Dags and Halak (if he plays)

42. Stev.R says:

Apparently Hemsky is getting some attention. Gotta figure the losing bidders will come after Kos

43. RiverviewCanadien says:

Why do posters still think trading away MEGA assets for a 1 dimensional player (how is WSH doing with a grumpy Ovie?) is a good thing because of what some current players have shown?

Plekanec, trade him…really?

Why do you think this is a good idea. Seriously, Desharnais, Eller, Leblanc, , Gomez?, +Magical Cup Center (minus Pleks and a gold mine), those are better options to over spend on someone who may pan out with whatever system goes into place for the next few years, than Tomas with the squad!!!!!?

#14 plays every role on this team. Stats don’t lie as to why this team is #1 on the PK, were consistent with the top 10 in other categories (5 on 5, etc). Not because they don’t have players like Pleks, EVERY team needs a Pleks.

Wow.

Elmer’s Glue was never this good in the 80s…

44. HabFanSince72 says:

Koivu wins it in SO for the Ducks.

Means we are now tied with the Canes instead of alone in last place.

Damn you Saku!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

45. habs_54321 says:

jack johnson AND a first round pick for jeff carter, makes me wonder what we could have got for mike cammalleri had pierre gauthier not rushed the trade as he did with the halak trade,

• kholdstare says:

Jeff Carter is better than mike cammalleri.

PG couldve faired a bit better not much, plus you just cant say those things and stay in MTL.

• habs_54321 says:

for sure he wouldnt have gotten the same haul that carter brought columbus but we could have at least obtained a first round pick i just find our management is way to reactive to all situations and not proactive at all.

Big center! 27 yrs old proven scorer vs tiny 31 yr old streaky scorer, both with apparant ego issues, not sure how comparable at all the two players are.

• habs_54321 says:

right and kyle quincy isn’t worth a 1st round pick and decent off dman prospect right? wrong not to a team thinking win now cammalleri had plenty enough value to get alot more in trade as did halak again terrible asset management.

• habitual says:

You say we could have done better with such certainty, because ..?

LA overpaid for Carter because they are in a surreal goal scoring slump. Getting Jack Johnson straight up would have been a good deal for Columbus. They got lucky because LA is on the cusp of making or falling out of the playoffs.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

No team in the league was going to pay a higher price for Cammalleri than the flames did.

“Andrei Kostitsyn will be traded this month”
      – Sean Bonjovi

• habs_54321 says:

maybe not that moment but management did not create a bidding war for the player they just sold off at the first bidder its like starting an auction at $100 and going sold! to the first person offers 101$ not to mention the extremely poor talent evaluation on bourque he is not the player we needed

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Cammi’s only worth 50 bucks though dude.

“Andrei Kostitsyn will be traded this month”
          – Sean Bonjovi

• habs_54321 says:

if cammy is worth 50 bucks carter was worth only 75 we could have faired much better in that trade with a little creative asset management

• boonie says:

Spacek could go for a 2nd or 3rd. He’s a veteran D, with playoff experience, who’s playing reasonably well at the moment. And, he’s pending UFA… which doesn’t hurt. Gill, Grossman, Kubina each went for 2nd rounders +. Quincey, in a different class, went for a first +.

• habs_54321 says:

to add to my last comment do you not think that if management were to tell the kings managment who are in a dog fight with the flames and a few other teams “hey your arch rival calgary flames are offering us bourque and a 2nd for cammalleri if you make it a 1st rounder hes all yours they would’nt have jumped on that ?

on another note now that la has traded johnson they seriously lack in puck moving dman after doughty might be a chance to offer up kaberle doubt gauthier even considers it though

• Sean Bonjovi says:

How would they Kings have given us Rene Bourque?

“Andrei Kostitsyn will be traded this month”
            – Sean Bonjovi

• boonie says:

Don’t bother. I’ve been losing this argument since we traded Halak in the dead of night without an auction. Ditto Cammy. Ditto Spacek. Ditto Laps (for a fifth) traded a couple of months later for a third…

And, please don’t try to explain that rebuilding with 1st and 2nd round picks acquired for Spacek and Cammy would (could) have been preferable to adding 30 year olds (Bourque and Kaberle) with multiple years left on their respective deals.

It falls on many deaf ears around here.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

A what for Spacek now?

“Andrei Kostitsyn will be traded this month”
            – Sean Bonjovi

• otter649 says:

The longer Cammy was playing for The Habs & his no compete level the lower his trade value would have become if Montreal had waited till now they would have been lucky to get a draft pick…..

46. HabFanSince72 says:

Right now LA are picking 12th. Let’s say that’s where the end up.

Then what Columbus has traded is:

#8 pick, Jacub Voracek, third round pick

FOR

#12 pick, Jack Johnson

I don’t think that’s a bad trade.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Stev.R says:

If LA finishes out of the playoffs, they keep their 2012 first round pick and CBJ get their 2013 first round pick.

• HabFanSince72 says:

OK so maybe it’s a bit less good. Still not a howler of McDonagh-for-Gomez proportions.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• mdp2011 says:

No not a horrible trade, but considering what Columbus gave up to get Carter in the first place, only to turn around and then trade him to LA months later. If you add up all the pieces, it’s a lot to trade just to get Jack Johnson.

• mdp2011 says:

Actually, the 1st is conditional.

Aaron Portzline ‏ @Aportzline
      If #LAKings miss playoffs, #CBJ get their 2013 1st rd pick. If #LAKings make playoffs, #CBJ can opt for 2012 or 2013 pick.

Perhaps u are right, I guess it all hinges on how LA does, ya I know obvious. So is there any knocks on Jack Johnson?

• Phil C says:

I don’t watch many west coast games, so I have not seen much of Johnson, but based on The Hockey News scouting report, he seems like a solid young defenseman who should only get better.

Jack Johnson
        Age: 25
        Ht: 6-1 Wt: 231
        Shoots: L
        Salary: $3,500,000
        NHL Seasons: 5
        Drafted by Carolina in 2005 (1/3).
        Acquired in a trade with Carolina in 2006.

ASSETS: Is an incredible skater. Possesses excellent all-around instincts, physical prowess and offensive upside. Isn’t shy about laying on the body. Is better than average for a defenseman when in alone against the goaltender.

FLAWS: Needs to avoid getting caught out of position in order to land the big hit. Could stand to simplify his game a little more so as to maximize his physical tools.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Talented all-around defenseman with upside.

So through all of this past season will Carter and Richards mature through this, change, improve etc…. Or will they now sit back and think they got their way and return to partying believing their skills don’t require the dedication to practise Pronger was trying to explain to them.

48. Rooster says:

Gomez + a 3Rd4 hamrlik we should start a petition!

49. HabFanSince72 says:

Good news: Carolina and Anaheim going to OT.

I mean – good news for the tank squad.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

50. Saundies says:

Don’t give me a membership to Tank Nation yet, but it wouldn’t bug me at all this year to miss the playoffs and somehow snag a scoring centre at the draft (Grigorenko? Galyenchuk?). I don’t watch the games ever hoping for Les Boys to lose, but now when it happens it doesn’t sting as much as it used to at the start of the year. The crazy thing is that all the teams in front of us are losing as well (leafs, washington, etc..) so as if right now anything can happen.

What I really wish for is for the goat to go after Dustin Brown now that he’s in play (according to Bobby Mac). He’s big, gritty, he can score goals if necessary (not so much lately on the kings), he’s already got a C on his chest… but what would it take to get him? What do you guys think we’d have to give up?

• Stev.R says:

He’s not that big.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

The King would just Give Dustin Penner away before they traded a useful player for cap space.

“Andrei Kostitsyn will be traded this month”
      – Sean Bonjovi

• Saundies says:

I don’t consider 6’0, 205 lbs small either. And I’m just going by what McKenzie said on TSN tonight after Carter was traded that Brown is in fact in play.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I heard Bob Mackenzie say that too, but he’s brain dead if he doesn’t realise that cutting Penner loose is the obvious solution to potential, future salary cap problems in L.A.

“Andrei Kostitsyn will be traded this month”
          – Sean Bonjovi

• Saundies says:

It would be the better solution no doubt, but how do you go about unloading Penner when the guys unmotivated and essentially useless? That being said, I hope the leafs get him.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

If the deal was penner in exchange for the worst player on your AHL team, all the Ottawas, Floridas, and Islanders in the league would pick him up for the last 20 games, and I think a lot of other non-playoff teams would pay his salary just to scout him up close

“Andrei Kostitsyn will be traded this month”
            – Sean Bonjovi

51. Kimberly2u says:

Leafs lost

52. smiler2729 says:

Why not swap AK46 to Wsh for their own version Semin?
    Give him a test run before he UFAs this summer, what’s there to lose?

53. HabsFan82 says:

I hate to see Pleks or Ak go but what other forwards do we have of value to get something good in return. I said before Pleks, AK and a 2nd rounder for nash. not a bad left winger to go with Eller and Bourque. Here’s a solid 2nd line.

54. EastCoastHab says:

Going for lunch, working night shift. Perhaps when I get back the Habs will have made a trade.
    I won’t eat too fast…….. it’s been the highlight of my night for quite some time….

55. LOL Carter and Richards…in LA.
    Yup, all the clubs are already booked.

• kholdstare says:

Doesnt anyone else think that this bromance is getting a little out of control. Like wont anze feel a little third wheelish now?

Do Richards and Carter have the same agent?

• kholdstare says:

no idea but the whole reunited and it feels so good is a bit crazy. Did you happen to see the interview on TSN i think it was with cabbie? Anyways one of them I cant even remember which it was but he was extremely disappointed that they couldnt realize their dream of winning a Stanley Cup together.

56. Sportfan says:

Also I’d like to add TAKE THAT TSN and Sportsnet looks like overhyped trade deadline day will be very boring a lot of the moves are going on now. Basically they will over analyze the trades that already happened haha

Does this trade mean now the Kings lose 2-1 instead of 1-0?

• mdp2011 says:

I think it means the Kings better make the playoffs this year, or I think Dean Lombardi will be looking for another job this summer. I thought 6-7 years of Tanking is supposed to bring instant Stanley Cup?

• GoGioGo says:

Not if you’re a tool who trades away your prospects for garbage like Penner and Carter.

• habs_54321 says:

its better than tanguay & gomez

• Kooch7800 says:

I wouldn’t put Carter and Penner in the same class….not even close. How many seasons has carter scored over 60 points with over 30 goals….the previous three seasons to this one and he has been hurt a lot this season. His cap hit is 5.5 mill per season…yes his contract is long but this guy is a good hockey player.

Penner cracked 60 points once and that was years ago and he barely cracks 20 goals.

Everyone says he is a cancer cause of Pronger….everyone says PK is a cancer to but I wouldn’t trade him

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

58. Sportfan says:

L.A. would get Carter I knew Richards and Carter couldn’t be split forever but wow they reunited fast. Hmm wonder how much partying is going to go on in LA haha

59. manu07 says:

Well, looking at the scores in tonights game, looking like Habs will be in last and the Laffs will be in 9th. With Washington coming off and embarrassing loss the game tomorrow night should be a blow out.

60. Kooch7800 says:

@EastCoastHab Sorry it cuts off after so many posts. They could bury Gomez in the minors so his cap hit doesn’t count. I think the biggest hope is the find a team struggling to make the cap floor to put him on cause he makes round 5 mill next season and 4.5 the year after but his cap hit is 7 mill hence saving the company money. Hopefully that happens and at least we get a pick back for him.
    Sadly, I feel it may be sending him down to the bulldogs but in the positives he can help groom the young players coming up and is well liked in the dressing room

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• EastCoastHab says:

Thanks, I don’t pretend to be the guru of all the possibilities of movement. I would like to send him down now and give someone from Hamilton a chance but when looking at the lineup there aren’t many in the +/- catagories that stand out. Not that this number reflects them all but it helps.
      I heard earlier the week about Winnipeg taking a look at Gomez for Antropov but since then I never heard a whisper of it. The way Winnipeg is playing now I can’t see Gomez helping them make it to the show.
      Thanks again!

61. boing007 says:

If they trade AK I would much prefer to get someone in return who can play with the team right away.

Richard R

• Stev.R says:

Why? We trade Kos for a couple solid picks, then go sign a new top 6 scorer in the off season. Somebody like Hudler or Hemsky or Doan to replace Kos

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Pacioretty-Deasharnais-Cole
        Bourque-Pleks-Gionta
        (Moen)-Eller-Leblanc

The Canadiens have already replaced Andrei with Bourque. There’s no room for AK in next year’s lineup.

“Andrei Kostitsyn will be traded this month”
        – Sean Bonjovi

62. manu07 says:

Anyone like Kadri as a Hab. Good skill and Toronto seems to be not impressed this far in his short career as a leaf ? We would probably be able to give them Darche, weber or Diaz for him.

• Bill says:

The only reason people think Kadri is any good is BECAUSE he’s a Leaf prospect. If he were a Canuck prospect we would never have heard of him and his “skill”.

I wouldn’t trade an NHL player for this guy. I would trade Darche, because he’s a UFA … which is also why Toronto wouldn’t do that trade, btw.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• EastCoastHab says:

I like him, Burke doesn’t but what does that do for building size? I would like to be a better crash and bang team and Kadri isn’t going to do much for that.

63. mdp2011 says:

Columbus, talk about a disfunctional organisation, wow!

james duthie ‏ @tsnjamesduthie
    The full 9-month tally for CBJ: Carter, Voracek, Couturier, and prospect Nick Cousins for Jack Johnson and a 1st. #TradeCentre

64. Hali_Hab says:

Man it’s so frustrating when you look at the kings top line .. How is it that the habs in all these years have never made a big trade. Well a big trade that benefits our side as oppose to the other

65. manu07 says:

We may have Gallagher next season. Who is similar to Cammy.! Who would have thought Ottawa would be this successful this season. Once we have a new coach new GM maybe that will change the attitude in the room.

66. GoGioGo says:

Am I the only one who thinks the Kings just overpaid for an underachieving player, and alleged troublemaker in the room ? Carter for Johnson straight up should have been enough.

67. Newf_Habster says:

Since Jeff Carter was traded to LA, it means the trade value of AK46 has skyrocketed AGAIN. :)

68. nickster13 says:

The Chris Nilan interview is a great listen. He’s bang on. Go to TSN to listen to it

69. manu07 says:

Im just Happy PG didn’t trade 1st round picks from 2012,2013 and 2014 for Carter.

70. EastCoastHab says:

So, after throwing up watching TSN and hearing the leafs are in the hunt for every single player in the NHL, I guess no other team means anything to them…..I have finally been dragged into reality and we are done for the season. Now I ponder…..what the hell will our team look like come September? I didn’t get far into the thought process and realized not much different?
    Sick of watching all the teams try to improve and we are standing pat, hoping people come back from injuries and building on the team we have on the ice.
    Now I need to go get sick again. Let’s make a transaction!

• Kooch7800 says:

Unfortunately, this team will not be a lot better next year, you are correct. We may actually get worse if you can believe it. Ak may get be gone at the end of the year and there is no one left to replace him. When we traded Cammy for Bourque it was a good trade but it left a major hole in our offense that this team has been missing all season.

there is squat out there for free agents that would help bolster our offense and this team needs offensive help.

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

If andrei Markov plays next year, I am willing to bet our team gets better.

• EastCoastHab says:

Yes, at least with Cammy it was good financially and Borque will be a bigger body at least. I can’t believe people are saying keep AK because I have seen very little to none out of him this year. I like Moen but if that is all we have to offer perhaps we can pick something up. Draft picks are fine but when does that help? 2 to 3 years unless it’s a Taylor Hall or someone like that. I only see one player in the top ten prospects that could potentially play next year.
        It’s sad, but when researching it last night….looking at the blocks of salary for Gomez for two more years it hurts. We need to find some way to get him out no matter the financial responsibility.

71. Chrisadiens says:

Trade is final. Carter to LAK for Johnson + 1st rd in 2012.

Edit: Wow, I was way late on that one. I must be slipping in my old age.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

72. mdp2011 says:

Jeff Carter has been traded to LAK for Jack Johnson and 1st round pick. Pending a medical tomorrow.

73. manu07 says: