Multimedia from Monday practice

Subban

The Canadiens did some off-ice training: kicking around a soccer ball, jogging, some stretches.
Then about seven of them skated around fort a while.
The party line, post-practice: It ain’t over till it’s over.

Andrei Markov will accompany the Canadiens on their upcoming road trip to Washington and Florida. He still hasn’t been cleared for contact, but Markov may skate with his teammates.

Randy Cunneyworth says Petteri Nokelainen is the closest to a return to action. That means Travis Moen is still out, with the trade deadline looming.

Erik Cole is banged up but playing, and Louis Leblanc has the flu.

AUDIO: Randy Cunneyworth

1. sanman_11 says:

Markov is accompanying his team because his surgeon or therapist is in Florida. This way Molson doesn’t have to pay for a separate flight. Nothing to infer here, just a checkup.

I’m a HABS fan not a Leaf blower.

2. boing007 says:

Blake Geoffrion, come on down!

Richard R

3. nunacanadien says:

Way to go Randy Cunneyworth, finally dress 11 forwards and 7 defense now that the season is shot. Which NHL team continually dresses 9 defense anyway? Only Jacques Martin, Pierre Gauthier and Bob Gainey would have the habs go down this losing road. No wonder the boys are in shock to being suited up to actually play offensive hockey for once. Now that the season is lost, go ahead Randy Cunneyworth, gun the pedal to the floor now that you’ve lost the season, that is what you were put there for anyway right?

So the Jets now 1 point behind Florida for 3rd in the East, granted Florida have 3 games in hand. Is it possible this Cinderella story from the prairies can somehow make the playoffs as the 3rd seed? That would be quite the story.

According to Sportsnet, Detroit very interested in Moen and apparantly have offered up this kid, Xavier Ouellet

6. Dulljerk says:

The Dilemma.

“Is the little dog going to yap, or is he going to bite?”

7. Top Corner says:

Petteri Nokelainen……??? oh yeahhh HA HA

8. LizardKing1967 says:

I just read Jack Todd’s column from yesterday. Although I can’t stand his arrogance and his stupidity most of the time, I have to admit that what he says in his article is bang-on. For once, I agree 100% with him. The only thing I would add to his comment that with PG the Habs shun talkative players is that it’s not only now with PG. I remember a time when Ronald Corey was president and he demanded that Savard trade Chelios “because he had a big mouth” and Corson (the first time) “because he partied too much at the bars” and a few others that didn’t “FIT” with the tight-asses in the organization.
    So before you lambast Jack Todd for speaking the truth (for once), think long and hard about what he said. Too much secrecy can breed indifference. I recall hearing about TWO other GM’s, when Cammy was traded, that they DID NOT KNOW he was on the trade block. SO, that should say all you need to know.

Jack, you may be a pompus ass, but keep up the good work (when it filters through your other crap).

Drive for 25. 2012-2013. Max-Pac for Conn Smyth.

I BELIEVE!

• smiler2729 says:

Savard was on the radio the other week and talked about the Chelios trade.

He says the Canadiens got some medical information about Chelly’s knee (which he was having issues with at the time) and that doctors figured he had about 2-3 more seasons before it gave out.

So he was dealt to Chicago for Denis Savard in the summer, needless to say, Serge regrets it cuz Chelly played at a high level for the Hawks and ended up playing until he was 48.

Nevertheless he takes solace that the Habs did win the Cup in ’93 whereas Chicago didn’t come close other than a ’92 final loss to the Pens.

He wasn’t traded for his big mouth.

__________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

9. slychard says:

After two days of 14:30 hour days at work, (Let me make this straight, 14:30 of work, each day, totaling 29 hours at work out of 48 hours, on my feet, dealing with the cream of the crap in tourists, whiny employee’s and the pressure of “reaching a number” on a 3 cruise ship day at one of the island’s most lucrative business, owned by a good friend, no less… yes, living in “paradise” is not cheap, or easy, or… “paradise”, come to think of it) I thought I’d catch up on HIO before slumber. Heck I have my first day off in 2 weeks so why not. My first read? Jack Todd on Gautier from the previous thread, could and would not finish his drivel…

I think I’m done with this site.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• Mike D says:

Don’t even think about it slychard! Your avatar is one of the only bright spots in this misery-riddled season.

– Honestly yours

• Rogie Protégée says:

Jack works for the Gazette – not HIO. The minute one clicks a link, opens a page (online or in print) and sees Jack “the consummate whiner” Todd’s name at the head of a story … You pretty much know what you’re gonna get!

Once he “narrows” his sights in on someone in the sports world (PG in this space of time) he totally obsessed to the point of nausea! Get some rest my man and will someone please ask Jack to do the same … As in give it a rest!

________________________________________________________

Some of us grew up in an era – when the boards were all white; the game was just as clean (players respected each other) and yer Habs (my friends), brought home the cup with a great degree of regularity!

• zak says:

Sly, Stop the whinning. If you don’t like what he writes , don’t read his columns

Hire the best regardless of language

10. Rainrocket16 says:

You know, I really love this team! I am 100% serious. Yeah they may not be the greatest Habs team we can remember but I am loving the hustle of late. This group of guys put us through the blender every night. Is that not why we watch and listen? Excitement is the key! Of course it has been a bad year for us, and we cannot tolerate some of the overpaid hacks we have, but do we not deep down root for them to get out of their funks and hope to turn heads? If you don’t, you must consider a different hobby! I love the Habs and I am ready no matter what fate brings us this season!

P.S. It ain’t over until the fat bitch roars!

11. T-roy West says:

If you could have Filip Forsberg and Grigorenko but you had to give up Subban would you do it considering all the defensemen that will be coming through our system.

• Stev.R says:

Nope. Certainly not for Forsberg. Even with Beaulieu, Tinordi, Nash, St Denis, Ellis, Dietz, Bennett, Pateryn, and Kishel developing, I still am not certain any of them will turn out as good as Subban is.

12. Laramy87 says:

The fact that Toronto and Washington keep losing, its starting to make some legit playoff races in the Eastern conference. All teams are within 7 pts of a playoff spot. Its not over till its over for all the teams.

I would love if the Jets knock the leafs out and the Sens take over Boston for first

13. Stev.R says:

Wat do think Bryan Allen will get paid next season? Would he fit on the habs as that depth veteran dman we will need.

Or what about Oduya?

• Marc10 says:

That’s about the only two noteworthy UFAs out there, eh. They’ll be highly sought after…

I never noticed Allen. I don’t know if that’s a good thing or a bad thing… but the size is right!

• Stev.R says:

There is Suter, Wideman, Stuart, Jackman, Carle, Foster, Grossman, Sarich. Actually defensemen UFAs isn’t hurting as bad as forwards. But MTL doesn’t need much, just a steady defensive veteran.

14. T-roy West says:

If we are in sell mode then prospects I would target are Tomas Jurco from Detroit or Austin Watson from Nashville. I wonder if Gauthier inquired about Watson when he traded Hal Gill.

• I’d like to get one of the big three fromt he Ducks. But that would mean giving up a ton to do it.

I’d also like to see him signed justt to make sure we know that we aren’t giving up a 30-40 goal machine later on. You just never know when these guys are going to explode inthe NHL.

Sigh, #10 where are you? (the next one)

Shane Oliver
      http://www.Sholi2000.com Inc.
      Custom Sports Figures
      Brandon, MB,Canada
      R7B 2R7
      hockey@sholi2000.com
      Ph- 204 724 8418

• Stev.R says:

I like Carter Ashton from Tbay, but they aren’t trading prospects yet.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I follow the Saint John Sea Dogs and I can tell you that Jurco scores big goals. He score early in periods, late in periods, and pretty much every break-away he’s ever had. His stats don’t do him justice either. He’s been playing on stacked teams, so he’s never played on the first line, and he’s not on the first wave on the PP. He still gets point on the power play, but the Sea Dogs first PP line will often score before he ever gets on the ice. Jurco’s not a “shut down” guy, but he’s not totally useless on the back-check either. Solid player!
      You and I both know enough about the Detroit Red Wings to figure that they’re probably not interested in trading him though.

“Andrei Kostitsyn will be traded this month”
      – Sean Bonjovi

• T-roy West says:

I doubt that they would trade him either. I do think that Watson is a possibility.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I’ll take you word for it on this Watson guy ’cause all I know about him are his stats. I only mention that about Jurco because I’ve been drooling over him since the Sea Dogs took him in the import draft and someone called him a lazy European one time, so now I fly off on a rant whenever his name is spoken (or written too I guess). It’s probably not healthy : )

“Andrei Kostitsyn will be traded this month”
          – Sean Bonjovi

• Marc10 says:

Rumor of the day on 98.5fm is that Detroit is talking to Montreal about Moen… Detroit is said to be dangling Xavier Ouellet, from the Q’s Armada de Blainville-Boisbriand. Ouellet is 6′ et 187lbs D drafted 48th overall (2nd round) by the Wings last draft.

Why we would want another D under 200lbs is beyond me, but that’s what they’re hearing. So maybe PG is asking for Jurco… who knows.

But then Bob Mackenzie is saying the Habs are looking to resign Big Trav…

15. Rad says:

As I see it, there are basically 3 teams that are looking at Kostitsyn: Nashville, L.A., and Florida. The Kings’ first choice is Rick Nash, and they’ve been the favorites for Nash for a while now, according to Bob MacKenzie and others. Nashville’s first choice is Hemsky from Edmonton, with Ellis or Jonathan Blum going the other way. That leaves Florida, unless those other 2 teams don’t get their man, and then they’ll be hot after Andrei.

Edit: I think the Minnesota Wild may also have an interest in AK.

• Stev.R says:

You think we could get Johnson from L.A or Ellis from Nashville? FLA has a lot of good prospects too.

• Rad says:

I think Johnson could be had if we sweetened the pot a little bit, in addition to Kostitsyn. Personally, I wouldn’t want Ellis, he is too small, we have other smaller, skilled Dmen like Diaz, Weber, and Mac Bennett coming up. There’s also Beaulieu and Markov coming back to man the PP. We need size on D, else just go for draft picks.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I think Andrei will go to a team that couldn’t get the guy they really wanted, so I think he’ll move on the last day.

“Andrei Kostitsyn will be traded this month”
      – Sean Bonjovi

16. Bripro says:

Pierre Lebrun was on RDS earlier saying that he’s spoken to several GMs throughout the league, and PG is trying hard to deal AK.
    Campoli is also on the block, but they want to re-sign Moen after the season is over, so he’s not on the table.
    He claims his sources are very reliable.

• matt jordan says:

when are Darren Dreger and Bob Mackenzi ever wrong.

• I know it’s ridiculous to think about the 2003 draft…but really, think about it. AK will be dealt. Campoli, gone. If we can get a 2nd for Moen, take it.
      I love how Scott Gomez skates and passes. No sarcasm. He isn’t going anywhere, for now.

What are your favourite trades? all-time.

• Bripro says:

Me? It would have to be how Sam Pollock manoeuvred the deal to bring in Lafleur. He was going to lose the first overall pick in ’71 (which he had acquired from the Seals). But the Kings were headed for last place until he traded Ralph Backstrom to the Kings. He played them out of the cellar, and Pollock got his first overall pick. Purge genius.

17. Mr. Biter says:

Just watching hockey live on DTV. Word is Habs want to keep and sign Moen but are and will listen to offfers on AK.
    Via Bob Mackenzie.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

• He said the same thing last Thur on NHL live ch 92, when Bob talks it’s pretty much fact. He’s about the only TV personality I listen to. He doesn’t go looking for ratings, and never reports rumours.

Shane Oliver
      http://www.Sholi2000.com Inc.
      Custom Sports Figures
      Brandon, MB,Canada
      R7B 2R7
      hockey@sholi2000.com
      Ph- 204 724 8418

• Marc10 says:

Nothing wrong with resigning Moen, but he won’t be around when we’re in our next Cup window. If we can trade him while his value is at its highest, we’d be crazy not to think about it.

I hear the 2013 draft is even deeper than this years… and this year’s ain’t bad.

18. habs_54321 says:

apparantly nashville is targeting a top six forward, if we cangrab their first rounder for AK id be very happy, id be even more happy if we can build a creative package including something along the lines of AK with moen & weber for ryan ellis. i’d doubt nashville will trade ellis they have been grooming him for a while now but if that were somehow feezable our pp woes are instantly fixed

• vanejorg says:

Kostitsyn, and others obviously, for Shea Weber. We then make the playoffs, if a 6’4″ 220 lbs. center/forward can be acquired also. No team in the East is out of the race yet!! Not officially, and NOT unofficially either.

19. Bripro says:

So I’m reading that Sholi is contemplating bailing on this site.
    I certainly hope it was tongue in cheek.
    And some have given it up as a lost cause, because not one GM on here thinks the same way. Thank God some are rational.
    I don’t give a hoot about the tankers
    (cue “bad reputation”) or the Price trashers.
    I like being entertained on a site where we have a common denominator, our Glorious Habs.
    And for those who say that the Habs should just give up.
    WELL I GOT NEWS FOR YOU BABY!!!

• No no no, I was just saying that this place sucks after a loss. I would never leave HIO and the Summit Members.

Shane Oliver
      http://www.Sholi2000.com Inc.
      Custom Sports Figures
      Brandon, MB,Canada
      R7B 2R7
      hockey@sholi2000.com
      Ph- 204 724 8418

• Bripro says:

Good job! Between you, Ian, Gerry, Frank and a few others, I get to escape the insanity that is my young adult childrens’ dramas, and talk about a more intangible one.
        It keeps my perspectives completely distorted. It’s great!

• :lol:, oh I understand that. My son had practice tonight so we got home around 9, plus took him for a 5 k run this afternoon. Needless to say he’s a tad cranky right now (as in and hour ago). Hard to sleep when your are all pumped up from hockey. 11 year olds should have late practices, but Brandon Minor hockey was a little short on ice times this season.

Shane Oliver
          http://www.Sholi2000.com Inc.
          Custom Sports Figures
          Brandon, MB,Canada
          R7B 2R7
          hockey@sholi2000.com
          Ph- 204 724 8418

• Bripro says:

Those are good times though.
            Mat’s out of organized hockey now.
            At the beginning of this, his first year off, he was too cool to sign up for the garage league, but he missed it quickly.
            I coached him for years, and loved skating with the kids ages 5 to 12. After that, it was hell! Not the kids, the parents.
            You add an extra letter to the league and every parent thinks their kid’s the next Crosby.

• oh my god yes. I guess every city is the same.

nice chattin with ya, good night.

also
            Ian Cobb and I may come into Montreal for the 7th of April. Could be the game where you win adn you are in. We could hook up for a cola :lol:

Shane Oliver
            http://www.Sholi2000.com Inc.
            Custom Sports Figures
            Brandon, MB,Canada
            R7B 2R7
            hockey@sholi2000.com
            Ph- 204 724 8418

20. Bozo McBozo says:

Did they lose again?

21. otter649 says:

Maybe Washington should have signed/kept Huet afterall….

22. Marc10 says:

So with all those picks we have in hand (and more to come if we ship off AK and Moen) what are the odds we can land Malcom Subban? And I hear there’s another brother and a cousin in future drafts…

We need a goalie for Hamilton… Just sayin’

:-)

• Sean Bonjovi says:

We’ve only got one extra 2nd rounder right now, and no 5th, or 7th, so I’d still like to see some moves. If we could ever get a 5th rounder for Campoli I’d do back flips, but I’d be happy with a 7th. I don’t thing we have a roster spot, or the cap room for AK next year, so I’d take anything we could get for him. Unless Moen has “Hal Gill value” on the trade market I’d like to see him on the 3rd line next year with Eller and Leblanc.

“Andrei Kostitsyn will be traded this month”
      – Sean Bonjovi

• showey47 says:

I don’t think he will be around come our 2nd pick. He could be an option if we manage to land a late 1st round pick via trade or we trade up with a couple of 2nd rounders.

• Marc10 says:

I imagine we could get a late first rounder for AK or with enough 2nd rounders we trade a couple for a first… Still do-able.

Plus who knows where we end up with our pick this year. We’ll have options.

Then again, maybe it’s not desirable to have siblings on the same team. It worked with the Richards (how could it not), but it wasn’t necessarily a success with the Lemieux or Kostitsyn families.

That said, I hear nothing but great things about the Subbans coming up the pipeline.

Looking at when our next Cup window will roll around, I have to think it’s 3 years… When Gallagher, Tinordi, Bournival, beaulieu, Leblanc, Kristo and co are up with the big club and just starting to roll… So any move we make has to have that in mind, IMO.

• Dulljerk says:

I would like to see the one we have mature first.

“Is the little dog going to yap, or is he going to bite?”

• Stev.R says:

The goalie we should go after is Makarov. He played for Russia and was lights out when they beat Canada. We may be able to get him with or late second round pick or our third round pick.

1st Round Pick – Galchenyuk/Faksa
      2nd Round Pick – Frk
      2nd 2nd Round Pick – Bissonnette
      3rd Round Pick – Makarov

You heard it here first folks

23. Adidess says:

@Hansen (Sorry on IPhone, can’t use reply feature)
    Thing is the number of points almost doesn’t matter with the nbr of games left and the nbr of teams involved. Winnipeg has 6 pts on us too. The frigging Islanders are tied with us, with one game in hand. We have 1 pt on the teams behind us with more games played. In other words, we need 6 teams to blow it for us to get to 8th place. Can’t believe anybody would get their hopes up based on such depressing odds …

24. HabsFan82 says:

rwp1990 – Here’s my supportive comment for our habs the rest of the way – Remember everybody’s trying their best to win.

25. smiler2729 says:

Seriously, all we can ask for as Habs fans is that they NOT suck. I don’t care who’s wearing the uniforms, just don’t suck, play entertaining hockey and make the playoffs more than not.

I’ve seen the Habs win 12 Stanley Cups and I’d like more but it’s a different league now, different game and those days aren’t coming back.

Gotta say though, as a fan, the SWEETEST Cup wins were ’71, ’76 (sweep of the Broad Street A-holes!), the ’86 and ’93 titles.

__________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

• bellcentre hotdog says:

I loved the 93 cup win. From the Marty Mcsorley stick measuring incident, to Eric Desjardins’ game 2 hat trick. 10 straight OT wins. Roy amazing. Muller leading. Vinny and Leclair. Bob Cole’s call was spectacular, “And now a 24th Stanley Cup banner will hang from the famous Forum in Montreal … The Canadiens win the Stanley Cup!”

Magical.

26. rwp1990 says:

Let me clarify as some of you might not have been paying attention closely enough. This is a competitive team that has proven they are capable of beating “strong teams” more than once. They had a bad start and have lost a pile of one goal games and shootout decisions. This is not a team that gets blown out. Good teams often succeed simply by maintaining some stability and learning how to win together. This team needs time to grow NOT to be blown up and everyone fired. There is plenty of talent on the bench and lots more on the way.
    Get some patience and be positive.
    c’est le but!
    Bob in Ottawa

• neumann103 says:

True, but…

Yes they beat good teams, and then lose to bottom feeders. That does provide some validation. What concerns me most however is that good teams find a way to win games they can/should win. The characteristics of Good Teams is that they might get blown out occasionally but when it comes down to winning a 1 goal game, or holding a third period lead a Good Team finds a way to win the great majority of those scenarios.

“Et le but!”

27. SmartDog says:

QUESTION: Who’s the worst regular D we have on the team?
    My finalists would be Campoli or Weber. And I think it’s Campoli. Why they signed this guy I just don’t get.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• smiler2729 says:

Peter Popovic, the gentle giant…

__________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

• AndyF says:

Weber, easily. :-)

Fail to Fail for Nail

• Hobie Hansen says:

They have to make a choice on a couple of those guys. Campoli won’t be resigned this summer if they don’t trade him first.

Ideally they would trade for a real minute eater on defense who plays a solid defensive game and adds some muscle.

Kaberle, Diaz, Weber and Campoli…not one of those guys dishes out any sort of punishment in front of Carey Price. Opposing players fly around with zero fear of getting hit, easily keep control of the puck and the puck stays in our end for ages.

• rwp1990 says:

i like Weber playing forward – he has good hands and wheels ..I agree Campoli seems redundant with PK , Diaz and Kabs all able to bring what Campoli brings and more.Still -nice to have the experienced depth in the meantime until the next kids are ready though.
      c’est le but!
      Bob in Ottawa

• showey47 says:

The guy was a depth signing who didn’t cost us anything more then cash and will turned into a draft pick by early next week.Is it really a bad move when you add a guy for nothing and turn him into an asset which could help us down the road? Considering trevor timmins does have a decent history of finding mid to late round gems

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Both Weber and Campoli produce goals against, but somehow Weber being on the ice also results in goals for, so I’ll say Campoli is the worst. By the time Weber ever does improve (big “if”, if he does) some younger defencemen in the system will have passed him on the depth chart, so his age is not a plus in my mind, but he does to play “big for his size” at forward, so IMO Weber is less useless than Campoli.

“Andrei Kostitsyn will be traded this month”
      – Sean Bonjovi

• neumann103 says:

Campoli.

News of Weber’s crappiness is greatly exaggerated.

“Et le but!”

28. chilli says:

Best case for Habs is to finish ahead of only Edm and Columbus – that gives us a shot at Nail or Grigo.

Oh, and Toronto finishes 9th.

That’s best case.

The fact that Ottawa is 2 points behind Boston shows how quickly we can turn it around for next season.

Tre

29. Adidess says:

I find it so annoying that people keep saying we’re 6 pts back and playing the Leafs twice, so it’s doable. Do we get to take the 8th spot if we beat the Leafs? So many teams are in a better position than us to benefit if the Leafs keep losing. Winnipeg, Tampa Bay, Washington etc. We are the same team that couldn’t beat Carolina at home the other night or get up to play NJ on Sunday to give ourselves a chance. How about the road trip we have coming up?
    Washington may suck, but they’re still ahead. They’re playing TO Saturday. They win, they’re in 8th place. I was looking at the standings tonight, we could be last in the East again by the week’s end. I have been slow to admit the season is lost like many others, but hey…
    As fans, i know we’re all supposed to be delusional, but saying playoffs still possible is like saying trading Gomez is possible. It is, but what are the chances?

• Hobie Hansen says:

Do I think the Canadiens have a high probability of getting into the playoffs, no.
      They play one good game followed by a bad one. But most people expected them, myself included, to be 10-12 points out of a playoff spot not 6 points by this time over the past month.
      If they caught fire it is possible. likely no, possible yes.

• chilli says:

7.5% chance of making the playoffs. 1% chance of trading Gomez…. so playoffs are more likely….

Tre

• Sigh, so what are you saying? We as fans are supposed to just say fork it? May as well cheer for the win until it doesn’t matter, and then we can talk trades, and how this guy sucks, and how management should have done this or that.

The teams between 15-8th all suck, and every single one of them has a chance to get into the playoffs. I like to think the Habs are a little better than all of them and I’ll always cheer that way.

After every lose this site is completely useless, if it weren’t for the Summit members and a select few others, I think there would be no reason to come here at all (after a loss).

Mind you, some of the replies were pretty funny.

I think my favourite was the Animal House quote and the replies thereafter.

Stay Tuned!

Shane Oliver
      http://www.Sholi2000.com Inc.
      Custom Sports Figures
      Brandon, MB,Canada
      R7B 2R7
      hockey@sholi2000.com
      Ph- 204 724 8418

30. punkster says:

I was having a good chuckle reading comments on the Caps blog (Capitals Insider on the Washington Post site).

But there’s nothing like Animal House Habs fans for Twistin’ The Night Away

***Subbang Baby!!!***

31. rwp1990 says:

OK – so everyone has about 24 hours to think of the most positive, supportive comment they can come up with for after tomorrow’s win…you can start now – take your time, start a draft …the doom and gloom party poopers on this site are out of control…fire everybody – trade everybody – or this I am a better coach or I am a better GM posing – it is getting absurd
    how about supporting your team? warts and all? that is what winners do

c’est le but!
    Bob in Ottawa

• smiler2729 says:

Some days you win, some days you lose… some days, it rains…

__________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

• AndyF says:

What do you consider a positive, supportive comment?

If I say, “we will need to trade Moen, AK, Campoli, Weber, Gill, and Darche to get as many draft picks as we can so that we can win *more* in 2014″, is that negative?

If a commenter takes into account the fact that the team needs some youth and needs to rebuild, is that negative?

If someone says that “every win at this point in our season hurts our draft position”, is that negative, too?

What you mean to say in your comment is that you want short-term wins for the team. Your “win-window” is this season. Next season, or other seasons don’t count.

‘Nuff said.

Don’t think like a player — think like GM.

32. habs17 says:

so smiler are you saying, that the habs have a chance? or are you saying NO chance (without any sarcasm)

President of the Scott Gomez Fan Club

(I support Scott Gomez)

33. smiler2729 says:

Over?

Nothing is over ’til we say it’s over!!

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

No, and it ain’t over now!

-John Blutarsky, Delta House ’62

__________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

34. temekuhabs says:

5-0 Canes, brutal D hockey by the Caps

Hamrlik with a brutal giveaway. 5 nothing Canes, wow.

• Hobie Hansen says:

With a win against Dallas tomorrow night the Canadiens could be 4pts out of 8th if the Leafs lose to the Devils.

The Caps and Leafs really suck!

Montreal does play Toronto two more times this season and you really can’t say Montreal is out of it at this point, yet.

It’s astonishing how many chances we have to get back in this thing eh Hobie?

• Hobie Hansen says:

Indeed it is. The Habs need a 4 game winning streak or to win 5 of 7 starting tomorrow.

The Habs have some issues though as we know. It ain’t going to be easy. That defense is thin and rather small.

So wish Campoli was gone, would much rather see St. Denis

• showey47 says:

Liked what i saw from st.denis,reminds me of gorges with perhaps a little more offensive upside. Even though pg picking up campoli wasn’t very popular.PG did in the process buy us another draft pick which campoli will be turned into by next monday.

36. Marc10 says:

Ovie for Nash.

37. vanejorg says:

If it was that the teams ahead of, or right around Montreal were increasing their leads, then the thoughts of a lot of posters(that they will be out of the playoffs) might be relevant. However, there has been no change in lead as of right now. Les Canadiens are still legitimate for a playoff spot. Keep going, and get the upgrades(Nash and Weber) by the 27th.

*Note: The Islanders helped by losing big today, and the Capitals are helping tonight by also losing big. These teams at the bottom are flakey this year. The LAFFS are scheduled to lose to NJ tomorrow night, and the NYI will lose to Buffalo, while PHI beats Winnipeg. Montreal should beat Dallas, who have been shitty this year, and they will be within four points. Anything can still happen. NOT OUT YET, KIDS!!!

38. BLACK ICE says:

Bill

So a goalie with a better GAA & SV% playing more games is not so good as a goalie with a worse GAA & SV%?

Please explain your reasoning!

39. habs17 says:

so is tmrw another MUST WIN, i won’t give up till were out for sure so, I BELIEVE

President of the Scott Gomez Fan Club

(I support Scott Gomez)

40. Bim says:

Now that golf season is just around the corner has anyone considered that Tommy Plecs maybe on the trade block? He was coasting Sunday night and historically speaking has followed up a couple of good years with a bad one (being this one). More consistancy is needed but he is still young with quite a few years under his belt. Everyone is talking Kostnisyn, Darche, Campoli etc but no Plecs. He could fetch some valuable prospects and draft picks not to mention dump some more salary. Maybe just maybe you could package him with Gomer and find some takers…ummm?

41. HabsFan82 says:

you have one guy that makes 30-40 saves every game and you have 18 players in front of him half the time can’t score a goal and you’re blaming price. what ever you’re on you should quit it. it’s affecting your mind.

Do you think if you gave Washington a Do-Over, do they pick Malkin instead of Ovechkin?

• showey47 says:

I wonder if hunter would like a do over and go back to london. I feel bad for the guy,huge difference between coaching easily motivated major junior hockey players vs millionaire ego’s. I can’t believe how awful the caps look.Is this what we have to look forward to by tanking?lol

I understand the gist of your post Showey, but I am not sure I can ever feel sorry for Dale Hunter. That team needs a serious purge, it is becoming more evident each season that Ovi is not a leader. Wild speculation here, but do you think if the NHL doesn’t allow its players to go to Olympics that Ovi walks out on the Capitals and goes to the KHL?

• showey47 says:

Ovy is under contract till 2020 with the caps and you would think legally he has to oblige by it.But i guess if he ever wanted to bail and play in the K he could retire from the nhl.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I agree with Burly, impossible to feel sorry for Dale Hunter.

Also why do people blame the Caps’ players? If the Caps had rocketed up the standings everyone would be saying what a great job Hunter was doing. But when the team sucks it’s the players fault?

Maybe Hunter is the one who sucks.

The Caps suck because they have a sucky coach.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• joeybarrie says:

I think it made no sense to hire a coach with zero NHL coaching experience. No asst coaching exp. Nada.
          he will probably make a great coach in a few years. With a real Captain.

• habs17 says:

imagine, crosby (when healthy) and oveckin that would be even better then malkin and crosy so NO they would,nt

President of the Scott Gomez Fan Club

(I support Scott Gomez)

• Stev.R says:

Could you imagine Crosby and Ovechkin on the same line

43. slapshot777 says:

Anyone notice Ovy leaving the ice with about six minutes left in the second period?

He didn’t look injured by the way he bolted off the ice. I think he is a selfish player who bails on his team when the going gets tough.

Unless he has an injury which nobody can tell, he has better have a good reason why he left his team. Teammates hate players who are quitters. If he gets tagged with an identity like that Washington are screwed with him and that huge contract. Good luck with anyone wanting that type of player.

44. habs17 says:

for all of u haters out there, how did i know gionta would be skating again 2 days ago, when every1 said he was done, mmmmm???? maybe i know something u don’t

President of the Scott Gomez Fan Club

(I support Scott Gomez)

45. Psycho29 says:

Now I feel old…..Phil Esposito turned 70 today.

46. slapshot777 says:

Only by non Hab fans looking to stir Sh!t.

47. slapshot777 says:

Hunter trying to have his team fight his way out of this funk.

Sorry, Dale this is not the same era as you played in. Where line brawls were common place. Fighting today doesn’t do anything really to change the momentum of a game.

48. slapshot777 says:

If the Caps miss the playoffs, I don’t see how Dale Hunter can keep his job.

49. slapshot777 says:

The Capitals have way more talent then the Habs at least on paper. What is their problem. Trade Ovy he is a bum or how about Carlsson overrated.

Maybe Green he is useless. Then they have these pluggers who are overpaid and under performing. Players like Halpren and Hamrlik ( they seem familiar) what about Knuble and Chimera.

Just imagine we had these players what we would be saying about these guys.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I’ve been watching a bit of tonights game I am shocked at how Awful Troy Brouwer is. If he tried to make dumber play he couldn’t.

“Andrei Kostitsyn will be traded this month”
      – Sean Bonjovi

So read below that Gio practised today with team? Really, I thought he was out until at least playoffs, assuming non contact. Oh yah Washington, haha, maybe they should tank for a year or two and great some top draft picks…Russians no less.

51. temekuhabs says:

Yup Capitals look lost out there

52. slapshot777 says:

Patrick Roy who I admire as a goalie also had better teams. If your going to put out stuff like four Stanley cups also make sure you mention the reason why.

At least the poster who compared the two goalies backed up his comparison with facts. All you did was say he won four cups, without mentioning with what kind of teams he had.

53. gmur says:

I’ve been watching the Capitals against the Canes tonight and I think Gauthier should try to sell Gomez to the Caps. Gomez has always needed a scorer on his line to work… and Ovechkin fits the bill. To be fair, Montreal has never had a bonafide goal scorer with Gomez around. Gomez for a second-round pick, accept to pay half his salary… the Caps are stinking out the joint tonight, in danger of missing the playoffs. Pick up the phone, Pierre! Give it a shot! OK, there’s no cap space in Washington… so, they’d have to trade a floater or two, get a pick back and free up some space… do it, Washington! Smoke some weed and do it!

54. BLACK ICE says:

The HIO inmates hating on Carey Price yet again. Here’s the stats for Both Roy & Price in their 1st 4 yrs in Montreal:

Roy: GP-189 W-101 L-47 MIN-10655 GAA-517 SO-9 GAA- 2.91 SV%- .904

Price: GP-206 98-W L-76 MIN-12013 GA-520 SO-1 GAA- 2.60 SV%- .916

This tells me that Roy had better teams in front of him to score more goals …

• gmur says:

Without Price and Cole this season, I’d move to Tajikistan and set up a tea booth.

• Bill says:

Good lord, are you seriously comparing those completely different eras with a straight face?

In 1988/89 Patrick Roy led the NHL with a save percentage of .908 and a GAA of 2.47. Jon Casey was 2nd with a save percentage of .900.

I mean, are you serious??

Full Breezer 4 Life

• BLACK ICE says:

Yes Bill I’m dead serious. Price is playing in a far harder league than Roy!

• Bill says:

A far harder league to score in maybe.

You compare their stats like Price has been better in his first four years than Roy was. Roy was at the top of the goalie stat list, Price is more in the middle. I like Price, but that’s a bogus comparison.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• BLACK ICE says:

Please explain your reasoning!

• boing007 says:

You forgot one detail, Roy was on a Stanley Cup winning team during that four year period. Beat that.

Richard R