Gallant to join coaching staff, plus video from development camp.

gallant_gerard487_381
Gerard Gallant has informed the Saint John Sea Dogs he is leaving the junior club he coached to a Memorial Cup win a year ago.
It is expected the Canadiens will announce Gallant is joining Michel Therrien’s staff on Friday.Gallant had a stint as head coach of the Columbus Blue Jackets.
He’s also been an NHL assistant with the Blue Jackets and Islanders.
Gallant has coached Canadiens prospect Nathan Beaulieu for three years in Saint John, where Gallant was CHL Coach of the Year in 2010 and 2011.
Gallant played 615 NHL games with Detroit and Tampa Bay. He and Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin were Lightning teammates for one season.
His name notwithstanding, Gallant – a native of Summerside, P.E.I. – does not speak French.

•  •  •

Patrick Holland, who was obtained in the trade that sent Mike Cammalleri to Calgary, was a big hit with the media at Day 2 of the Canadiens development camp in Brossard.
Holland, who is from Lethbridge played for Carey Price’s old team, Tri-City, in the Western Hockey League.
Holland is smart, articulate, speaks a smattering of French … and had 84 assists this season.
We love him already

Patrick Holland

Nathan Beaulieu:

Greg Pateryn

Morgan Ellis

Brendan Gallagher

•  •  •

The Canadiens have signed prospect Steven Qualier to a two-year contract.

The team announcement:

Montreal Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin announced today the signing of forward Steven Quailer to a two-year contract (2012-13 and 2013-14). As per club policy, financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Quailer, 22, finished second on the Northeastern University Huskies (H-East) with 25 points (8 goals, 17 assists) in 26 games in 2011-12. The 6’04’’ and 195 lbs forward led his team in assists. He served 34 penalty minutes. Four of his goals were scored on the powerplay and he added one shorthanded goal. Quailer tallied two winning goals, recorded 78 shots on goal and maintained a +7 plus/minus differential.

A native of Arvada, Colorado, Quailer, recorded 63 points (21 goals and 42 assists) and 85 penalty minutes in 105 games since his college debut with Northeastern in 2008-09. He was drafted by the Canadiens in the third round, 86th overall at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.

• Read it and weep, Geoff Molson:  New Jersey made $26 million off its deep playoff run.

• Why the Kings won: They shut down opponents’ best forwards

1. Kfourn says:

Bryzgalov’s five-hole is ‘humungas big’

2. JohnBellyful says:

For the old-timers among us, and in keeping with the site’s persistent subject matter of trades, real or proposed, would you make these deals: Howe for Richard? Hall for Sawchuk? Potvin for Coffey?

• 24 Cups says:

I’ll answer if nobody else will!

I’d take Howe, Sawchuk and Potvin.

BTW, Sawchuk was traded to Boston because the Wings had Glenn Hall ready to step in. Two years later they traded Johnny Bucyk to Boston in order to get Sawchuk back. They then moved Hall to Chicago and the rest is history (or so they say).

• habstrinifan says:

Not Howe for Richard.
      Not Potvin for Coffey.

3. TomNickle says:

I think with Schenn and Simmonds instead of Richards and Carter the Kings would have swept through the playoffs.

• Cal says:

Just like they did with Philly, right?

• TomNickle says:

Exactly why your opinion is like Swiss Cheese. Your opinion has been implying that Richards and Carter are the main factors that lead to the Stanley Cup victory for the Kings.

It would be far more logical to say that in order of importance they are….

1. Darryl Sutter
        2. Jonathan Quick
        3. Drew Doughty
        4. Dustin Brown
        5. Anze Kopitar

• Cal says:

Richards played 19:30 and Carter 18:04 on average for the Kings during the playoffs. They obviously didn’t contribute a thing beside 15 and 13 points, including a total of 12 goals on a team that scored 57 during their Cup run. They are just so much sh!t on skates, right?

• TomNickle says:

No they aren’t. And I never said that they were Cal. This is where you’re being immature.

The additions of those two players made the Kings better. But that doesn’t make the Flyers losers in that trade. You’re being short sighted and childish.

I haven’t put words in your mouth once, I see no reason why you need to do it to me. None. They are skilled, productive yet maligned players who were nice additions to the Kings and with the Cup any sacrifice to get them was worth it.

However, the greater contributions of Sutter, Quick, Doughty, Brown, Kopitar, Mitchell and others are being ignored by you.

It’s easy to call Holmgren an idiot today isn’t it? Even though he traded two guys who were in the boat Patrick Kane’s in now while it was no secret. He got two amazing returns for those players considering the state of their private lives.

Both teams are winners in that trade, if you think otherwise you aren’t thinking clearly.

Regarding the Holmgren vs. Lombardi trades, is it possible to call these trades a Win Win scenario? LA completes the roster with high talent players and wins the Cup. Philly gets younger, deeper with more cap wiggle room for the future.

Just my perspective.

5. LA Loyalist says:

Gallant’s horrid 70s suit inspires great confidence that he is entirely focused on hockey (either that or he’s from down east :-)).

Bless him for the poppy. It’s ironic, they grow here and no one wears him.

Holmgren is a stinky poo.

7. jon514 says:

Dear HIO,

1) Lars Eller
    2) David Desharnais
    3) Tomas Plekanec

Am I the only one that believes one of these guys won’t be a hab after the trade deadline next year?

• TomNickle says:

I think one will be gone at the draft.

• jon514 says:

This year or next year?

• Ozmodiar says:

None will be gone at the draft. :)

• Captain aHab says:

I tend to agree.

I think they know trading Desharnais will bring the entire French press corps on them. And he played really well so there’s an argument to keep him and see if he gets even better. I think he was a point a game player or close to it after New Years.

Eller. Could be traded but I don’t think we’ll get much in return and he’s stil young. Maybe too early to give up on him.

Which leaves Pleks. Desharnais will likely put up numbers similar to what he could do playing on the 1st line. If the argument is that he’s a great defensive player, then I think the Habs could sign a replacement 3rd line Defensive C for less. I have to think he has pretty good value on the trade market. I think he’s the one that goes.

—————-
        Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• shiram says:

It’s annoying that this is even considered, keeping DD because of his hometown and langage skills.
          He’s the one I’d trade, basically he has good offense, but the rest of his game is not as good as Pleks. Eller is younger and already shows a better defensive skillset.
          But for the next season, I would prefer they keep the 3, giving time for that newly drafted C to get some time in Hamilton.

• TomNickle says:

If they take Grigorenko or Galchenyuk neither can play in Hamilton for another two years.

The only players under consideration that could play in Hamilton immediately are Filip Forsberg and Teuvo Teravainen.

• Duke_Rauol says:

I agree, if MB wants to trade one, id say DD, his value is high after this season. I wonder how well he would perform in the playoffs when the game tightens up as well.

——————————————————————-
            We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold……

• shiram says:

All the more reasons to keep the known assets we have, for now, if you ask me.

• Ozmodiar says:

I agree with Shiram. Especially after hearing Bergevin’s comment about strength at the center position.

If we’re going to draft a future #1 centerman then Pleks is a more ideal #2 than DD. He has a better all around game. The draft pick will eventually get the best wingers, not DD.

I think they’ll take a year to evaluate the 3 players while the draft pick develops. A move is more likely next year, and it might not be a trade (DD could move to the wing).

If there is a trade I think DD is more likely to go, although the return has to be considered.

8. ed lopaz says:

here’s a point which needs a little explanation.

if you are a 14 or 15 year old who is considered amongst the best in your Province or State or whatever as a winger, or d-man

Why limit yourself to playing only on the right or left side??

being able to move over to the other side could make you more marketable as you go through Major Junior and turn pro.

minor hockey should be teaching players how to play right or left wing, right or left defence, regardless of which way they shoot.

some of the best left wingers that come over from Europe shoot right handed.

many of the great defencemen in Europe can easily play either right or left d as well.

isn’t time that we taught our boys how to play both sides of the ice EQUALLY well??

• JohnBellyful says:

Or we could teach them to be ambidextrous.

Ed, I am not as in tune to kids hockey as you are, but isn’t one of the problems with Hockey in Canada the fact that by age 12 and up most coaches are more concerned with winning games than developing talent? I know I am generalizing, but in talking with my friends who have kids playing high level this seems to be an issue.

• ed lopaz says:

during the summer kids train for up to 8 weeks.

its at these training camps that specific skills are worked on.

if I had a kid who was heading to major junior I would want him to become as flexible as possible.

24 Cups mentioned below how much we need a left winger now.

thats a perfect example.

but yes, during the season, the coaches are teaching team drills much more these days.

that’s absolutely a problem.

• TomNickle says:

Funny thing about that Ed. With any team I’ve ever been involved with there’s always a player who gets asked to move to a different position to compensate for a loss by injury or suspension. I’ve never seen a player take it as a compliment until a half hour conversation has taken place. NEVER.

When I was in my draft year(a lot less wrinkles and a lot more hair ago), I was asked to play defense(because I couldn’t score to save my life) but took every faceoff when I was on the ice. I was nicknamed Army(Swiss army knife).

Andrei Markov and Mark Scheifele are the only recent examples that I can think of where players switched position either right before or right after their drafts.

• ed lopaz says:

my son is a d-man who can move up to play forward.

we have agreed over the years that every forward should be asked to play some defence and every d-man should be asked to play some forward. that gives the kids the “perspective” of the game they need.

but I’m just talking about a right winger moving over to the left wing.

or a right d-man playing the left side.

it is done and should done by more players who want to make the NHL.

9. JohnBellyful says:

For those who are missing their Hockey Night in Canada fix, let’s catch up with what one of their star performers is doing these days:

“Hello, my name is PJ Stock and I’m a spokesman for Depend protective underwear. They’re for people who suffer from incontinence. I don’t, because I’m young and didn’t let myself go to pot.
    However, I DO suffer from another problem: verbal diarrhea. Sure, VD got me a job on Hockey Night In Canada but running off at the mouth has also got me into trouble away from the camera, with friends, family, airline staff, cab drivers, hotel employees, waiters, the list goes on.
    I admit it. I talk too much. What’s worst, I have nothing intelligent to say but does that stop me? No.
    Now I’m not the only person on Hockey Night in Canada – in fact, in all of Canada – to suffer from what’s become a rampant social affliction but those days are about to end, thanks to the makers of Depends. They’ve designed special mouthwear that lets you breathe but barely able to talk. Even long-winded people soon learn to give up and shut up.
    Here, I’ll show you. Whenever I feel like I’m about to say something stupid, like now, I reach inside my pocket and put this in my MUFLTH. DUZTHNT ICK WHAWWK GRAHT.
    And as you can see, it’s easy to remove and keep stored in a slim plastic pouch that shows no bulge when you put it in your back pocket.
    It also comes in three flavours: mint, cinnamon, green pepper.
    Now some might argue such a product stifles free speech but the makers of Stipends™ say it’s not free speech that’s being stifled, it’s inane speech. And the payoff is better – and shorter – conversations across the country.
    For those with a really bad case of verbal diarrhea – are you listening, Don? – there’s extra-strength mouthwear that temporarily cuts off the flow of oxygen: Suspends™.
    Ujhfortunately, not everyone knows they suffer from the vocal runs. It took me thousands of letters and emails from viewers, and a visit to the doctor, to discover that I suffer, actually, what I have, and what my listeners suffer from, is a condition known as vapidity.
    So, the next time Grandma goes on and on about young people needing to learn manners or Uncle Lou begins repeating that tiresome anecdote about how he took down a grizzly with a toothbrush, shove a Stipend™ in their mouth. They’ll thank you for it … eventually.
    Uh oh, a dumb thought just entered my head WAW, THAHT WUSS CLAUTH!”

When loose lips sink friendships, try Stipends™ — the mouth guard for unguarded thoughts

10. FishOutOfWater says:

Sea Dogs Coach Gerard Gallant named Canadiens assistant coach.

11. Strummer says:

Is that it for assistant coaches then?
    Is there room for one more?

I’m hoping for Big Bird.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

12. Habsrule1 says:

The Habs should try harder to hire French-speaking assistant coaches. RDS often interviews the assistant coaches between periods or during the game and it would be much better if they could ask the question in French and have it answered in French, so French guys like me could understand what he was saying, instead of waiting for the translation.
    How do they expect people to know what’s going on the moment the words are spoken if they have to wait an extra 10 seconds to have what he said translated?
    Come on Habs….think of your fans.

Go Habs Go!!

• 24 Cups says:

Who cares about RDS? Bending over backwards to these people is part of the problem.

Everything the Habs do should be about winning the Cup, not sucking up to the whims of the media.

Muller was the best assistant coach we ever had and he doesn’t speak French. Same for Robinson.

He was being sarcastic Steve

• 24 Cups says:

Oh, OK. He usually doesn’t write like that. Here’s something right up his alley though – Patrick Roy will never coach the Habs!

• Habsrule1 says:

I hope you’re being sarcastic too Steve!

Although, I think Sylvain Lefebvre would make a really good Habs coach one day.

Go Habs Go!!

• 24 Cups says:

Of course, I know which buttons to push!!!

As for the new hire, it makes perfect sense for the Habs to expand the French speaking coaching pool. You never know what the future will hold, as witnessed by the Habs getting boxed in on the Therrien signing. A larger hiring pool negates that problem.

Yah Steve, I think Habsrule keyboard has the sarcasm font turned off.

• TomNickle says:

How was the festival ya dog breeder?

Good show, I hadn’t seen the Arkells live before, must of been at least 15,000 people there, it is a free concert weekend the city puts on every summer. I did feel a little old compared to the crowd around me, there was a constant aroma in the air which Zepfan2 would have thoroughly enjoyed. Big Sugar plays tonight, may find my way back to the shores of Lake Ontario in Burlington again this evening. Treble Charger on the weekend as well. Cheers Bud!

• adamkennelly says:

good one.

13. TomNickle says:

Dean Lombardi is the biggest genius in the hockey world and Paul Holmgren is the reincarnation of Mike Milbury.

Why in the World would Paul Holmgren trade two players who refuse an opportunity to join their teammates in voluntary sobriety for a month? Why would he seize the opportunity to trade his captain who was out all hours drinking and partying? Getting into fights with the media? More focused on complaining about other players than developing his game? Why would he trade an often injured scorer who looks like Brian Boyle more often than Brett Hull?

Surely a stupid decision by Paul Holmgren. And what did he get? A 23 year old near 30 goal scorer, a former top ten selection who was wasting away in Columbus, the consensus top prospect not in the NHL in Brayden Schenn and the near wire to wire #1 ranked prospect in the 2011 NHL draft. Talk about stupid. Trading well known to be much maligned players for a handsome bounty? Terrible moves.

On the other hand. DEAN LOMBARDI IS A GENIUS! Not only did he bring a player who had drinking and partying problems to the dull atmosphere of Los Angeles, but he acquired an immature goal scorer who turned up his nose at the opportunity to play with one of the game’s best. And he gave up practically nothing. Just a former third overall pick who is one of the most well rounded defensemen in the NHL and a first round pick. This later on was confirmed to happen due to the emergence of Slava Voynov making Johnson expendable. Yeah, that guy who just completed his first NHL season.

You know what? Why wait? Lets get Phillip Anschutz to erect a statue of Dean Lombardi all the while forgetting his best acquisition, Darryl Sutter.

• Malreg says:

It’s funny to see all the revisionists chastising Paul Holmgren. I seem to recall him being touted as a genius when the moves were made, and how he was one of the best GM’s in the league.

• TomNickle says:

He still is. Ed Snider had his paw prints all over the Bryzgalov deal. Holmgren made the hockey moves, Snider made the PR move.

• Cal says:

I have never thought Holmgren was that good a GM. He makes too many lateral moves and is forced by his owner in overdoing things (like the Bryzgalov fiasco).

• TomNickle says:

Voracek and Simmonds scored more points both individually and collectively than Richards and Carter. Couturier and Schenn are two excellent young players that he added while Los Angeles and Columbus sacrificed those young players to make the deals.

= Not lateral

• Gerry H says:

I think you’re over-playing this, Tom. Comparing the point totals without taking into account the fact that Carter missed almost half the season (and most of what he did play was with the most miserable team in the league), is a bit disingenuous.

Further, while I agree that Holmgren’s moves weren’t bad at all, to denigrate Lombardi’s decisions flies in the face of both the results achieved and the very type of management thinking you have advocated yourself in these pages. You’ve spoken to the need managers sometimes have to add key veteran pieces to put a team over the top after a rebuild is nearly complete. That is precisely what Lombardi did in this instance, with very impressive results.

• TomNickle says:

This entire debate was centred around the trade. And while it can’t be debated that the Kings are winners in the trade because of a Cup victory, I see no logical reason to call the Flyers losers in this deal. Point of fact, they are set up for a longer period of success than the Kings are as a result of this deal. Having said that, without a Stanley Cup with the acquired players or subsequently acquired players as a result of these trades, they won’t have won as much as the Kings.

The notion that Richards and Carter put them over the top is short sighted. The results turned immediately following Sutter’s arrival. If there’s an acquisition that team made which put it over the top, his hiring was it.

• 24 Cups says:

Tom – I get your point, but let’s not over do it. Johnson is far from being a well rounded Dman. In fact, he suffers from the same jerk syndrome as RIchards/Carter.

As for Philly, it was quite simple. They should have taken one of their young assets and flipped him for Bernier or Schneider. Maybe even expanded the LA deal to include Bernier.

• TomNickle says:

How do you know they didn’t try to do that Steve? I believe the whispers were that Holmgren wanted Bernier instead of Simmonds, but I could be wrong.

• Cal says:

Holmgren pulled off a stupid trade that may have cost HIS team a Cup. Lombardi filled his roster with exactly the kind of team you espouse, yet you ridicule him. Hysterical.

• TomNickle says:

Adding four young excellent players may have cost him a Cup? And until Los Angeles won the Cup the trades were terrible moves by Lombardi.

I understand fair weather fans have no actual insight into hockey and just play the bandwagon game, which is why you’re either black or white. I’m not ridiculing Lombardi by any means. I’m saying that he hired the right coach to get his horses in line or ducks in a row as it were.

You’re saying that the Kings are unequivocal winners of the trade(correct) and that the Flyers are losers in the trade(false).

They’re both winners, which is exactly what all General Managers want when they’re trading with an out of conference partner.

• Cal says:

The name of the game is to win the Stanley Cup. LA won it. Being a perrenial contender and NEVER WINNING IT is the point I am making regarding the Flyers, their management and owner.

Another thing. LA is in an excellent position to contend for years as well. So, for LA it’s a definite win. Meanwhile, in Flyerland, they are still spinning their wheels.

• TomNickle says:

The Cup is the ultimate goal, but I would far rather have the Flyers roster right now than the Kings if I were building a team. The Kings following the Carter trade are in a spot where they can’t trade anything other than Bernier to improve their team(save for draft picks).

The Flyers have……

Schenn
            Couturier
            Van Riemsdyk
            Read
            Giroux
            Hartnell
            Simmonds
            Voracek
            Wellwood

That’s just at forward.

• Cal says:

That’s the other point. The Kings don’t have to rebuild. They just have to maintain.

• TomNickle says:

Willie Mitchell is 35, Rob Scuderi is turning 34.

They need Slava Voynov to be as good or better than he was this year.

Jonathan Quick also had a .10 increase in his save percentage this season. He’ll need to as you say, maintain that for them to be a playoff powerhouse over the next few years.

Funny that every team that wins the Cup seems to be ready for a dynasty eh?

Put the kool-aid down.

14. commandant says:

With the draft just 7 days away, Its two for one day with Brian Hart added to Brett Kulak.

Brian Hart

I propose the Habs trade their number 3 pick + Plekanec + Markov + Gionta for Lecavalier.

Discuss!!

For those who think Holmgren made a mistake trading Carter and Richards, Holik agrees with you.

• Cal says:

Holmgren is a genius…for LA.

• TomNickle says:

Voracek and Simmonds combined for 98 points.

Carter and Richards combined for 78.

Couturier and Schenn in their rookie seasons scored a combined 45 points.

Carter and Richards are a combined $10.8 million against the cap.

Voracek, Simmonds, Couturier and Schenn are a combined $5.8 million against the cap.

The Kings aren’t losers in the deal by any means with the Cup. But the Flyers didn’t exactly lose the deal either.

• HardHabits says:

How dare you interfere a leap from logic with hard cold facts TN!!

• Cal says:

LA won the Cup. Philly got ousted in the 2nd round. Great trade for LA. Winning the Cup is what the NHL is about, right?

Cal, no one is disputing that the trade wasn’t good for L.A., it helped them win the Cup as you point out. However, what the trade did do is set the Flyers up for long term success, from a younger player, cap friendly perspective.

Also, the reason the flyers lost had more to do with no Pronger and a Russian Cosmonaut studying the galaxy in net than the absence of Carter and Richards.

• Ozmodiar says:

Great trade for Philly too!

Philly’s mistake last summer was between the pipes.

• Cal says:

@HiB,
            Any time a team trades away players and the recipient’s team wins the Cup, it’s at the least an ill-advised trade. Like when Detroit traded Mahovlich to Montreal for Mickey Redmond. Sure, Redmond became a 50 goal scorer, but the Habs won the Cup twice with Mahovlich. So, who won that trade? Detroit?

Carter came to Philly via Columbus, but it’s great to see these 2 “problems” become Cup winners and shove that up Snyder’s and Holmgren’s behinds.

• Strummer says:

Without acquiring Sutter there would have been no Cup for the Kings.
            The player swaps were basically a wash.
            Quick, Brown and Doughty were the more dominant forces for the eventual champs.

______________________________________________________
            “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Ozmodiar says:

Interesting that you bring up the Redmond/Mahovlich trade.

Interesting because it tells me your argument is on shaky ground. ;)

17. commandant says:

With one week to go until the draft, I’ve got a two for one special, as in addition to Kulak (further down), I’ve got Brian Hart, a big RW power forward type with an honourable mention.

Brian Hart

18. commandant says:

And with their 3rd round pick the Montreal Canadiens select Trevor Carrick.

20. wildwilly says:

I liked Gallant as a player, I am sure he will be good as a coach.

It’s been discussed before but I see Guilliaume Latendresse is going to be available. If properly motivated, if he stays healthy, and if he’s willing to sign for less than $1 million, he’d be a decent addition.

That’s a lot of “ifs”. What do you think?

• pmaraw says:

it seems to be a second chance kind of summer

• petefleet says:

Good size and he’s a little older. Why not? I don’t think his trouble last time around was anymore than immaturity.

******************************************

“It just goes to show how difficult predictions are, especially ones made about the future.”

RGM
      ***Habs Forever***

• 24 Cups says:

Lats is a RFA so we would have to trade for him.

If the cost is minimal, why not? It’s not like we have anyone else to step into the empty spot on LW.

There are the issues of skating and being injury prone but beggars can’t be choosers. After all, we did finish last this year.

These are the kind of moves teams like the Islanders make:-)

Weber for Gui?

• TomNickle says:

Latendresse was adamant in an interview that he would not be receiving a qualifying offer from the Wild. He would draw interest as a UFA like Tomas Fleischmann did I think.

That said, Chuck Fletcher was part of the article and was questioning his motivation.

So I would pass.

• Marc10 says:

He can score with the right center. But the guy won’t give you many games.

Under MT, I could see him perform.

• secretdragonfly says:

I’d be leery – Lats played 11 games in 2010/11 and 16 games in 2011/12. If I recall, a lot of those missed games were due to concussion and he’s had a couple of surgeries. Better choices have to be out there.

I mentioned before that I am dead set against the Habs signing any high profile free agents this summer. The timing is all wrong as well as the fact that there just aren’t that many players avaailable who I think are worth it.

Having said that, I would definitely take a look at Jay McClement and Greg Zanon. Good role players with lots of character who are under 35 and fill specific needs for the Habs. I would also sit down with Moen to see what kind of contract he might take.

These moves would give us a 3rd pairing of Kaberle and Zanon (left shot on the right side) which would allow Kaberle to get some PP time without impacting the top four defensemen. Diaz and Weber can fight it out fo rthe 7th spot.

Moen/McClement/White would give us a decent 4th line and a second PK team to back up Pleks/Gionta.

That would just leave one spot open on the team – a left winger who can play top six minutes. Lots of luck on that one. The only option I can see would be a trade. The question being which player would you be willing to give up? The alternative being an UFA who gets a one year deal.

EDIT: Forget signing a UFA left winger. There are none.

• petefleet says:

I hope they sign Moen as well. As far as Diaz vs Weber, i think I’d rather have Diaz. He showed alot more offensive and defensive smarts last year. Weber looks to be struggling at the top level and may need to go back to the Swiss league. My vision of the Habs for 2012/13 does not include Kaberle at all. I would prefer that they get rid of him over the summer. I don’t even want him at training camp. That goes for Gomez too.

******************************************

RGM
      ***Habs Forever***

• 24 Cups says:

I hear you on Kaberle and Gomez but the reality is that one of these guys is probably going to stick around. Given the choice Kaberle makes the most sense.

He makes less money and is an insurance policy in case Markov can’t play (saves giving up another 2nd rounder).

• petefleet says:

Here’s my thing about the D, last year Beaulieu did not look out of place during the preseason. He played almost every game and got alot of looks from the management, albiet old management. If he is able to show maturity this year at camp, Kaberle will be redundant. Let’s face it, you don’t need to make $4million per to NOT shoot the puck. Anyone can do that and if they can play DEFENCE, all the better. Kaberle was never a stop gap for Markov in my books. I thought he was a horrible acquisition last year.

******************************************

RGM
          ***Habs Forever***

• Ozmodiar says:

They’ll do what’s best for the long-term development of Tinordi and Beaulieu, which will likely mean a year in the Hammer.

Another year of Kaberle on the team isn’t really holding them back from making any moves. Small FA crop anyway.

Assumes Gomez is gone.
            Is this disclaimer even necessary anymore?

• 24 Cups says:

Pete – I don’t care if Beaulieu and Tinordi are better than Subban in training camp, they are still going to Hamilton.

The days of the Habs rushing kids has to end.

• petefleet says:

And he should be in Hamilton but there are times when it’s not necessary. You only know you rushed a guy after the fact. I know, all the more reason to put him in Hamilton.

******************************************

RGM
            ***Habs Forever***

• Ozmodiar says:

I agree with this plan.

As an alternative to signing a top 6 LW, I wouldn’t be opposed to signing a 4th line LW and sliding Moen and Bourque up one slot. If Bourque can score 20+ he becomes more tradeable. If the team is doing well by the deadline, they can acquire someone. If not, the 2013 FA class looks pretty good (at this point).

• LA Loyalist says:

Stop with the cogent, reasoned arguments. You’ll just p posters off.

22. petefleet says:

Gallant is great choice for an assistant. I’ve heard several interviews with him over the years and he seems to be a smart, articulate hockey man. Add to that that he has been in the junior system and won at the highest level and that he has coached one on the Hab’s potential superstars, Beaulieu. Being in the Memorial Cup has gotten him up close and personal with Bournival, Ellis, and Tinordi as well. He’s obviously good with young players and it looks like the Habs are going to have a lot of them over the next few years. Solid choice MT.

******************************************

RGM
    ***Habs Forever***

23. Cal says:

Gerard Gallant: part-time coach, full time serial killer. What a face! ;)

Holland seems to be a nice kid.

I imagine he must be a little ticked at having to come to Montreal. Not only does he leave his home province but he now has to struggle to make the team at it’s deepest position. Contrast that with Calgary who only has two legit right wingers.

25. steve17 says:

I really like what Bergevin has done so far and I hope he has one more assistant coach to sign, Larry Robinson!

I am looking forward to the draft. I hope that Beregevin moves some players to get another first round pick this year, but I also hope he does not give up any from this draft or next.

I am also curious how he will handle Gomez, Kaberle and Moen.

Habfan17

• The Cat says:

Moen doesnt deserve to be lumped in with those other 2. Should sign Moen.

• steve17 says:

Sorry, I didn’t mean to equate Moen with them, I just am saying they need to decide what to do with him, sign him, or trade his rights for something. I would like him to stay. I’d like to see a third line of Moen, Eller and P.A. Parenteau!

Habfan17

• petefleet says:

Why Moen? Is that a negative or a positive? Hard to tell in that company.

******************************************

RGM
      ***Habs Forever***

26. JayK-47 says:

Little known fact: Gerard Gallant plays bass in a band and uses the stage name “Murderface”

27. JohnBellyful says:

Has a consensus been reached on the nickname we’ll be using for Alex Galchenyuk after the Habs draft him? Gally? Golly? Nyuk? Nick? AG? Saviour?

28. Un Canadien errant says:

On the subject of Matt Bissonnette, who Ed Lopaz has brought up a few times, he seems to be a head case, that’s for sure, and he does seem to have size and skil. Even more touchy though is the fact that despite his name he doesn’t speak French and refused to play for a LHJMQ team that played in predominantly French area. I will rarely fault a guy for trying to improve his conditions or bargaining power, but this background might be explosive in Montréal. Any thoughts?

———————————
    In the very long view, it is important that kids growing up in Québec love the Canadiens and recognize themselves in the team, and a bit of the team in themselves. There must be a strong, visceral, emotional connection between the fans and leurs Glorieux.

• JohnBellyful says:

Based on what I’ve read on this site for the past year or so, I can only conclude the people of Quebec would look beyond Mr. Bissonnette’s linguistic shortcomings and attach more importance to his performance on ice, size and skill being two requisite qualities they look for in a player. I believe the ability to speak French to be well down on the list of traits Quebeckers desire in a Canadien.

• ProHabs says:

If the guy is a headcase, sign him now. We need some nutbars to take care of Marchant and Ference.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Unfortunately, he seems to be more of a Radulov-headcase than a Trevor Gillies-headcase.

• 24 Cups says:

The Habs don’t have a very good track record with headcases.

Examples being Ribs, Higgins, Lats, Laps and the K brothers.

29. BrianSkrudland says:

My fearless prediction for the Habs 2012 training camp in September:

PK Subban’s first altercation with a (potential) teammate will be with Brendan Gallagher. It will be a no-holds barred smile-off. First guy to frown loses.

30. JohnBellyful says:

The photo of Gerard Gallant has got me worried. He’s about to be named an assistant coach of the Canadiens and HIO runs a photo of a grim Gallant looking skyward, as if lost in thought: “Oh, Lord, what have I got myself into?”

• DMAN says:

…..or maybe he’s just looking at the Scoreboard in the particular arena he happens to be in when the file photo was taken.

• Un Canadien errant says:

They should have run a picture of him racing with Bob Probert to get at some poor bastard who looked at Steve Yzerman crosswise.

• Ncognito says:

I think he’s looking at a replay of an offensive zone penalty, blown coverage or a missed call…and he’s not happy about it.

• HabFanSince72 says:

That look will come in handy if he ever gets the Canadiens head coaching job. It;s one we’ve seen from every coach since Demers.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

31. Hey! Does anyone know why Conboy wasn’t called in for the camp? I know he’s no firecracker, but at 6’4″ we may be able to use him…

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• Un Canadien errant says:

They just have amateurs and guys on their first contract at camp.

• commandant says:

He might also still be hurt

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• JohnBellyful says:

UCe, regarding your earlier post concerning the proper use of compliment and complement: You’re not by any chance Robert Hartwell Fiske, ‘The Grumbling Grammarian’, and author of “The Dictionary of Disagreeable English – A Curmudgeon’s Compendium of Excruciatingly Correct Grammar”?
        The misuse of compliment is among his many entries which include examples drawn from numerous sources, including newspapers and television broadcasts.
        I also have his (your?) “The Dimwit’s Dictionary”.
        If you are, could you autograph this post?

• Un Canadien errant says:

Negatory, I’m no grammarian, just trying to keep the ship pointed in the right direction.

I let a lot of stuff slide people, I’m no stickler, despite HabitantinSurrey’s signature. The last time I spranged into action was to castigate a TSN analyst for using the wrong word when he intended to say a “reflex save”. That was, like, days ago.

• ZepFan2 says:

Spranged?

Don’t you mean sprung?

:razz:

———————————————————————-
            “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

• Un Canadien errant says:

Spranged, sprunged, you knowed what I meant, just relax dude!

• ZepFan2 says:

I’m cool!

It’s just that there’s no such word as “spranged” or “sprunged”.

Just sayin’.

———————————————————————-
            “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

• habstrinifan says:

It aint gonna mater if we talk good or not if our team dont play good this year.

• Un Canadien errant says:

ZepFan2, don’t give me no passive-aggressive “Just sayin'”. You brunged it up.

• ZepFan2 says:

I never bringeded up anything. You brunged it up first.

I was just trying to help a fellow Hab fan.

———————————————————————-
            “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

• JohnBellyful says:

Zep, you say there’s no such word as ‘spranged’ or ‘sprunged’ and yet I see both here. Do my eyes deceive me? Next you’ll be telling me there’s no such word as ‘gaborknakein’. Try telling that to all the little gaborknakoodles.

• Mad Habber says:

Don’t worry I’m pretty sure gaborknakein is a word I heard Pierre McGuire use, or may it was Bob Cole, no it was Don Cherry. Whomever it was, you are safe; no way anybody on t.v. would just make up a word.

• ZepFan2 says:

It’s an illusion. The interwebs do that.

No gaborknakeins allowed, I say! Sloberknockers are a different story.

———————————————————————-
            “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

• JohnBellyful says:

The mods must have gone to bed. I can’t believe you got away with using Sloberknockers. Don’t be surprised if your post is gone by the morning.
            What a njukiyama!

• ZepFan2 says:

No, no. You have it wrong. I didn’t say, slober on knockers. Therefore my post will be skellemphet.

You on the other hand. How dare you call me a “njukiyama”? I demand you refractify your post immediately, sir!!

———————————————————————-
            “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

• JohnBellyful says:

My appaloogies. Please consider my post refractified.

• Duracell3 says:

Being terrible doesn’t help.

• That's-Hockey says:

Simon Danis Pepin was borned in Montreal. He’s 24 years old
        6.07 – 221 lbs plays defense – minor pro. he’s played 279 games and has 79 points. that’s all I know about him.

32. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

How about having Kovalev as an assistant coach???
    he sure would know a lot about managing a PP.

(and by the way, can someone please tell me all they know about this Simon Danis-Pepin guy?, All I know is that he is in the CHIGAGO system, and is ENORMOUS, but nothing else, why does so many poster here want to sing him as an RFA?)

33. Ted Blurn says:

Does Quailer speak French?

• Duracell3 says:

Arvada Colorado, I doubt it.

• Un Canadien errant says:

My mom was born in Arvida, now fused with Chicoutimi and other small towns into the city of Saguenay, in the beautiful Lac St-Jean region. Classic Québec town, everyone spoke French, except for a half dozen families who spoke English, all with fathers who were bosses at the Alcan plant, which I think was known as ‘Saguenay Power’ at the time, although no one in town knew what the word ‘power’ meant. Therein were sown the seeds of discontent, and my mother and many others grew to resent the English élite and became a staunch separatist.

34. The Gonk says:

Quailer signing very good. Lefebrve as HBD coach good too. Will be interesting who else they put as assistants. JF Houle perhaps? HBD will need some vets to a fill-out a roster to support all those rookies. Perhaps that includes Gomez ;) Engqvist can’t see coming back. Here’s a prediction: Nattinen has a strong season.

Gallant is a curious choice for the Habs, especially if Jodoin is an assistant too. Daigneault or Robinson for the D looks like a necessity now.

Despite the MT hire, MB is doing ok, putting structure and people in place. Let’s hope Dudley doesn’t convince him to trade down next week.

35. TomNickle says:

I have to thank David(HH). I got my package in the mail today. I really appreciated the certificate, Mike Boone voodoo doll, itching powder, new wireless keyboard, bottle of Wisers and was especially thankful for the Anthrax.

Much appreciated pal.

36. smiler2729 says:

Dear Gary Idiotman, Mr. Commissioner

I am a hockey fan, I am an NHL fan, I am Canadian and I NEVER WANT TO SEE HOCKEY IN JUNE AGAIN.

Yours truly,
    smiler

PS. You suck.

_______________________________________
    Calling it like it is:
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Tim Thomas is a Nugentian lunatic.
    Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

• canada4l says:

If you really never want to see hockey again in June you can just move to Toronto.

• smiler2729 says:

Good one… I’m an hour northwest of Toronto.

PS. Leafs suck.

_______________________________________
        Calling it like it is:
        Jack Edwards is a clam.
        Tim Thomas is a Nugentian lunatic.
        Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

• chanchilla says:

the leafs finished ahead of the habs this year, in case you forgot.

• Duracell3 says:

They must have enjoyed a deep playoff run out of that, just like all their other 13th place finishes.

Oh, wait…

• HabFanSince72 says:

Not on the only table that now matters.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Have a goodnight everyone, the Burlington Sound of Music Festival kicks off tonight, time to go listen to the Arkells.

Tomorrow we find out the rest of the asst. coaches?

38. TomNickle says:

I see that some people have floated the opinion that there won’t be an elite player available at #3 in the draft this year.

Going back through every draft since the lockout, there’s been an elite player available with the #3 selection. It’s up to the team selecting in their spot to get that player.

Suggesting that the team trade a #3 pick for a good but not excellent or elite player is stupid. It’s how you ruin franchises.

Float the idea all you want. Just be prepared to be called a complete moron for putting it in writing.

• HabFab says:

Come on Tom, I have seen way stupider opinions on HIO.

• TomNickle says:

Other than a couple of people calling Rick Nash a failure during the Olympics I can’t think of a dumber one Frank.

Saying to trade a #3 overall pick(when’s the last time we had one) for an overrated pending UFA or comparable player because there aren’t going to be elite players available at #3(fallacy) is completely and certainly stupid.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Tom, We are Habs’ Fans and come from so many disparate backgrounds …the only commonality is We are Habs’ Fans (at least We think We are :) )
          …We are not all rink-rats or even ‘hockey people’ …We are Fans …really unfair and disrespectful of You to be rude to Others’ opinions, whether naive or knowledgable
          …maybe better to keep to Your opinions on hockey (which are generally respected among Us) rather than playing psychiatrist ?

• TomNickle says:

The comments I’m referring to should be easily found and if you were to take a look I think you would see that the person made an attack on those suggesting who to select with the pick. As if speculating who to select were taboo while his opinion that a trade should occur is the only direction the team can go.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Tom, I can’t say I never let loose on a contributor here, or even Mike Boone Himself, but it takes something really egregious to get Me going
          …something really significant
          …99 % of the time though it makes zero sense to get into a tit for tat with people You don’t know …can not see Their faces or on issues They certainly have a right to express an opinion
          …when it comes to rudeness …don’t get into extended like-minded verbal fencing matches, because all You accomplish, beyond Your own selfish self-satisfaction, is ruin the atmosphere among others that are trying to relax talking about Their Team
          …just sayin’ …relax, don’t take things so personal …stay above the fray :)

• VancouverHab says:

How about my persistent praise of Gomez?

;–)

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Tom states: ‘Forgive me for being rude, but that’s the single dumbest opinion I’ve seen floated during my entire time as a member of HIO.’

…Tom, You must have just joined HIO in the last 5 minutes …cuz I, for One, have read much ‘stupiter’ here :)

• punkster says:

Good luck with that one, Tom.

It’s a blog, on the interwebby thingy and you can be sure some will express opinions contrary to yours.

You may think it’s a dumb opinion or a stupid suggestion but I wouldn’t be to thrilled to be labelled a moron for expressing it (edit…expressing an opinion), would you?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• TomNickle says:

Dave. I really don’t care. You can call me a moron if you like. I form my opinions and stand by them.

I don’t form them in an effort to troll people on the site. Is everybody going to think it’s dumb? I don’t know and I could not care any less than I do, have or will.

It, in my opinion, is absolutely stupid based on past and present experience. And I’m going to call it such when it’s obviously trolling.

• punkster says:

Intransigence can be as damning as trolling. Lighten up Tom, it’s a freakin’ hockey blog.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• TomNickle says:

I’m not livid or anything Dave. Far be it for me to call it what it is instead of making a joke that will go over the poster’s head eh?

• HardHabits says:

TomNickle and have made an agreement that while I’ll be enjoying the summer with my girlfriend he’ll be taking over as HIO’s resident shit disturber. Give him some time so that he can ease into his new role.

• TomNickle says:

And while he’s enjoying his girlfriend, somebody else will be enjoying mine!

Edit: Hey speaking of which, have Plekanec, Markov and Gionta been traded yet?

• Un Canadien errant says:

Come on Tom, the single dumbest opinion on HIO? Don’t you remember, off the top of my head, the Scott Gomez Kid?

• habstrinifan says:

Hmmmm! I wonder if this post is directed at moi.

I did propose, in an earlier thread, going to Aneheim and trying to get Bobby Ryan, Sheldon Brookbank AND their 2nd rnd pick for the #3 overall pick.

But I never suggested there is no elite player in this draft. I think a trade as I suggested above is de facto getting an elite player for our pick. My primary concern was that I do not want us to attempt to trade up by giving away one of our good young players/propsects.

I still see wisdom in knocking on doors if a trade like this can be had.

39. Habitant in Surrey says:

…had to laugh when I read the Goldwater Institute in Arizona is determined to/have file(d) legal proceedings to block the NHL sale of the Phoenix Coyotes to Jamieson …as if no one saw THAT coming ! …geez

…Bettman keeps pi$$in’ in the wind in Phoenix

…I will cry, though, because if successful, the ‘Yotes assuredly (most likely) will run to QC as the new Nordiques …why cry ?, well WHO ??? do Ya t’ink will be their new GM and/or coach ?

…yeah, don’t be cruel and say His Name out loud …because I will implode …and sob like a baby :(

Will the Phoenix experiment ever end? The rich owners in this league must be sick and tired of this dog and pony show.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…excruciating
        …Bettman seeing the result in Winnipeg really makes Me wonder
        …aside from his American-centric mind-set, his rudderless leadership on the concussion-issues, the Phoenix comedy, and IMO his attempt to marginalize Canadian teams, …business-wise, overall, he has been positive for the NHL …and much positive evolution in the game and the NHL ‘business’ has occured, including the long-sought formula for competitive parity under his reign
        …I just can’t stand looking at him
        …he looks so ‘unhockey’ and a greasy shyster
        …but, do his pros outweigh his cons is the question ?

• habsfan0 says:

Don Cherry?

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Phil have You listened to Cherry say he was offered to be the highest paid coach in the NHL by Harold Ballard (Turdranna MuppleWeeds), but declined because he had agreed to a ‘hand-shake’ agreement to coach Colorado ?
        …well, Harold is no longer here to tell Us whether true or not
        …but, considering it sounds believable

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I had a laugh last week when Glendale city council approved the sale and a TSN story described that as the “Last Hurdle” to clear for the sale to go through. I think the biggest hurdle to clear is the fact that none of the people who want to own the team are actually prepared to pay money for it.

“I’m not opposed to trading Plekanec and/or Markov”
      – Sean Bonjovi

• Un Canadien errant says:

Don’t be so cynical Sean. If Glendale paid me enough, I’d buy the Coyotes too.

40. HabFab says:

In regards to Larry Robinson, he has stated he is not interested in coming back to Montreal. Two years ago… yes!… but not now. Sorry all!

41. habstrinifan says:

I have been talking up a videon which is on HABS website with Bergevin very casually dressed and standing in a scrum answering questions. Listen to how he explains the hiring of Lefebvre. And you would come away thinking, “Oh Man we have probably the best GM since Pollock”.

42. frontenac1 says:

Didn’t Trudeau beat the crap out of that conservative Karate expert with ponytail and Tatoos?

• habstrinifan says:

He did and that MP was no wimp. He was some sort of ‘fighter’.

• EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

Trudeau couldn’t beat the crap out of a chipmunk, He only won because Brazeau went in expecting an easy fight, he was wrong.

If Brazeau had not been so stupid, there would still be bits of Grit scattered as far as Buckingham.

• Un Canadien errant says:

So Justin Trudeau couldn’t beat the crap out of a chipmunk, but he beat the crap out of that full grown adult Conservative MP? The one with MMA training? Who was defeated only because he went in expecting an easy fight? About which he was wrong, and stupid? But if he hadn’t, he would have brained Mr. Trudeau? That small attitude adjustment would have turned a thorough defeat into a homicide the other way? Do you contradict yourself a lot? Like constantly?

Maybe have a chat with TomNIckle about singular opinions on this site.

• Lizardking89 says:

He gave the guy a shiner and won the fight seems like he beat the crap of out him to me.

• neumann103 says:

I think Trudeau is a smug douchebag but he schooled Tattoo Ponytail Guy.

Tattoo Ponytail Guy came out throwing wildly hoping to overwhelm Justin Elliot Trudeau, who struggled at first to keep TPG off. Fortunately for JET, TPG had absolutely no technique, and JET had a basic command of boxing. As soon as he realized that he could keep the extremely short TPG at range with the jab he just kept throwing it. For someone with this little experience his discipline in just throwing the jab was impressive. He even got comfortable to start mixing in some power shots. If TPG was any kind of serious boxer he would have had a solution to get inside but he isn’t so he didn’t.

As the second round began, JET just kept dishing out more of the same, and TPG was walking into everything, and gassing. I actually wondered if he had broken his nose and was having trouble breathing.

An amateur fight was stopped as a TKO. Yeah, I call that beating the crap out of someone.

“Et le but!”

• Un Canadien errant says:

I met and worked with Justin Trudeau when he was just out of university, and he was a very humble and decent guy. He never traded on his name, I only figured out much, much later who he was. He wasn’t running around like a rich privileged kid or anything. I was never close, but some of my colleagues were, and they are still tight, since I see them on Facebook still hanging with him at weddings and parties and such, so in his couple of years here he built lasting friendships. I think that says a lot about him.

43. commandant says:

We need a player’s coach next, and Carbo isn’t it.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Un Canadien errant says:

We need a defencemen coach, and Carbo ain’t it either.

Earlier on I saw him as a good fit on a Patrick Roy staff, but not with Michel Therrien, Clement Jodoin and Gerard Gallant.

• naweed235 says:

I think the obvious choice would be Robinson… but unfortunately, a lot of stars need to line up before that happens… I read on twitter this morning that the Canadians have not yet asked from NJ to talk to him… Also, I don’t see why NJ would let him walk with the successful season they just had…
      But man would I love to see him behind the bench… Just watching him do his thing, the way he was communicating with the players, the little taps on the back encouraging them… he would definitely be a breath of fresh air that we desperately need.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

+4, 987, 652

_________________________________________________________
        Michel Therrien ???: HIS’ new Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song; Morrissey/The Smiths ‘Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfkvPnjb9hs
        _________________________________________________________
        HIO’s BC Odd Couple: UCe, the supercilious stickler; and HIS, the stubbornly relentless ‘schismatist’ :)
        _________________________________________________________
        What I WANT ! is an aircraft carrier at centre and nuclear destroyers on each wing going to the net like bats out of Hell !, …NO MORE rubber duckies !!!
        _________________________________________________________
        Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

44. Un Canadien errant says:

Back in March I posted on the subject of what the Hamilton Bulldogs would look like next year. I couldn’t come up with a proper roster, even by pruning a lot of dead weight down there, there were too many bodies, and more if we retained some AHL pros like Brian Willsie who was there to be the veteran leader.

With the signing of Steve Quailer, that makes the lineup yet more crowded. We’ll have to revise our projections after this development camp.

It is a good position to be in though, to have a lot of prospects ready to turn pro, as opposed to having a lot of draft picks that never do.

• HabFab says:

Sitting with 8 rookies and 10 returning under contract and that is before goaltenders are signed. Not much room for the 5 UFA’s and 11 RFA’s that played in Hamilton last year.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Of the UFA’s in Hamilton, I don’t see any being retained. Maybe they hold on to Nathan Lawson if they can’t find a decent free agent goalie, there are lots of those guys at the development camp.

Of the RFA’s, Andreas Engqvist will certainly be re-signed. I imagine Mark Mitera will be also, but they may decide to go in a different direction and give his icetime to the rookies. I haven’t heard anything too promising about him, but nothing that indicates he’s not worth keeping either. He’s a big steady defensive defenceman, those guys always have some value.

I can see the Canadiens holding on to Andrew Conboy for his size, and to Robert Slaney for his experience, there needs to be some leadership on this team. Dany Massé, Olivier Fortier and Hunter Bishop are probably let go.

That only makes eight or nine spots for the rookies. I foresee Brendon Nash, Frédéric St-Denis, Aaron Palushaj, Louis Leblanc and Blake Geoffrion to start the season in Hamilton. It will be interesting to see what happens.

• HabFab says:

I’m not so sure about Mitera,Conboy or Slaney. By resigning Engqvist, Nash, Geoffrion, St Denis and Palushaj they are only leaving 2 spots for goaltenders or veteran for the team.

• commandant says:

Engqvist is likely to be qualified but not signed and head back to Sweden IMO

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• HabFab says:

Would not be surprised, depends on his belief in his abilities to play in the NHL.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Thanks for all the comments guys, I’m basically working off CapGeek and my uninformed opinions, so without a net.

I can see allowing Andrew Conboy and Robert Slaney to walk, they’re real long shots to ever make the NHL, but Mark Mitera is the one that I think has the most value. Any chance at all that if the UFA defencemen are all out of our price range, he gets a shot at the Canadiens? #6-7 defenceman who brings size and steady defensive play? Or is it out of the question based on his performance so far?

Also, any chance that guys like Joe Stejskal and Philippe Lefebvre get bought out and released outright? Is that even allowed? Just wondering, they’ve been underwhelming at Hamilton.

• zip by says:

Saw only 1 dogs game this year – but Mitera impressed with his complete incompetence. Couldn’t skate, or pass or make a decent hit.

I left with the impression he would be pressed to make an East Coast team.

Not wanted on the voyage.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Thanks for the intel zip by, so what you’re saying is that he will be replaced by Greg Pateryn, who will play the role of the big tough stay-at-home defenceman. At least we didn’t give up too much to get Mr. Mitera.

• habstrinifan says:

I wont be surprised if Bergevin signs this guy.

Simon Danis-Pepin RFA from Blackhawks…Quebec born.

45. SnowManHabs85 says:

Chris Stewart just signed 1 year 3m deal with the Blues. I wonder how much AK will get on a 36 point season while Stewart had 30 points…

“Responding to the media , or playing to the media, or listening to the fans is the quickest way to start losing” – Sam Pollock

• Un Canadien errant says:

I can see teams offering Andrei a one-year deal, maybe two, but he played his way down from a 5 year for $5 million potential when compared to Mikhail Grabovski, all in one season of poor play and off-ice headaches and folly.

• habstrinifan says:

Comparing them only on ‘points’ does not properly give the true value of a Chris Stewart. But since you are, you may want to add the question of why Andrei with such a big advantage in skillset is only 6 points ahead of Chris.

• SnowManHabs85 says:

Just putting out points since almost everybody here is just thinking about points. Stewart was push down to bottom six minutes at times this season. Put them together, you got AS.

46. That's-Hockey says:

I hear a lot of people talking size not so much about size and scoring ability. so you have a big team that can beat the crap out of every team that comes to town. that don’t help on the scoreboard. bring in big guys that can score and mix it up than you got something. Prust is not one, and parenteau is a 3rd liner at best…

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…but We ARE talkin’ ’bout size & scoring ability
      …thought that was understood :)

• That's-Hockey says:

some of the names I’ve seen tossed around if you say they have scoring ability are you ever in for a rude awakening and I’m not saying all of them. (Some)

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…just talkin’ for Myself, to clarify that when I talk ‘size’, automatically assume I am talkin’ ‘size & skill’ :)

_________________________________________________________
        _________________________________________________________
        _________________________________________________________
        _________________________________________________________
        Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

47. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

I had no idea that Justin Trudeau played Defense for the Shawinigan Cataracts!!!!

48. habstrinifan says:

Is Bournival not at the camp. I see him as the next cant-miss prospect. i have my money on him making the HABS before a player like Beaulieu for instance.

49. habstrinifan says:

I like the Gallant hire. I think Jodoin will not be a behind-the-bench assistant but will be upstairs and on the ice during practics. Jodoin will be the x’ and o’s guy. So there still might be a spot for a defensive coach like Big Bird.

• Bripro says:

Rumour abound on french twitter about Carbo as the next selection for an AC position.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…My second ‘ugggg’ today …a record

…well, I’ll qualify that as Carbo is a distant second-choice to Larry

• Bripro says:

Personally, I’d rather see Carbo than (uggg….it’s contagious) Jodoin.

• Lizardking89 says:

I’d rather see Robinson than either of those 2 but don’t see it happening. I have no idea why this organization is against trying to hire Robinson but I’d be shocked if he was. I love the Gallant hire though and was hoping they’d get him.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Jodoin had such a poor season in Hamilton (no doubt because of a dearth of talent), and surprised He was promoted at this time
      …Big Bird will be such a joy to see behind Our bench …and might even make Me forget My miserable Therrien misery

• habstrinifan says:

Jodoin was not really ‘promoted’ if you listen to the clip of Marc Bergevin on HABS site. Bergevin really wanted Lefebvre in Hamilton. Because Lefebvre is younger etc. Bergevin said he and Therrienn talked about it and the he, Bergevin, went home and said “I’m gonna do it”. And made Lefebvre the coach for the Bulldogs.

He gave Therrien the option to do what he wants as far as Jodoin. As of today I dont see any confirmation of what/where Jodoin will be… and even if he is named assistant, I dont think he will be behind the bench… my guess anyways.

I mean if it was a straight promotion why the ‘meeting’ between Therrien and Jodoin before a final announcement/decision. Unless I missed something today.. I dont think it’s all decided yet.