Higgins, Komisarek in New York spotlight

Canadiens teammates Christopher Higgins and Mike Komisarek,  fellow Long Islanders, are featured today in the New York Times as the team prepared to face the New York Islanders in Uniondale.

1. johnnyhab says:

Can the Habs sign these guys up for the 10 years!!

2. G-Man says:

Now, that’s what I call a beautiful sign! Great pic, johnnyhab. You are right. These 2 are keepers.

Gilbert

3. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

Great Players.

I remember seeing Komi in Hamilton a few years ago and right away I said that guys going up soon…he is what we need, heck we had been suffering with Popovic types tall/.lanky but no power defense…Man was I glad when Komi got the call up…to me that was the start of our rebuilding.
    ———
    1. Kovalev, about being passed over for the All Star team said, “The Canadiens are my all star team.”
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans.
    3. Your not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”.

4. OK says:

10 is way to long a term, but 5 years would be great, a large majority of player’s production decline after 29. Plus it keeps the players motivated for the next deal.

Komisarek will probably get and should get Chris Philips/Willie Mitchell money and shouldn’t get more than that, 3.5-3.75 per year and depending on Higgins production around the same. If he becomes a consistent 30 goal man, he jumps to about 4. All this talk of Komisarek making upwards of $5 million is crazy, he doesn’t have the offensive stats to get that.

If Gainey can get these guys for terms of about 4-5 yrs at $3.5 or so, that would be perfect. Paying more than that per annum or a longer term (10yrs) and he’s playing with declining assets and in a salary cap world it’s all about managing your assets!

5. Smart Dog says:

Beautiful site is right Gilbert. Except when you realize it’s two childhood friends, near their homes and families where there are two other professional hockey teams… 1,000 miles from Montreal. Scary.

________________________________________________________________
    Habs Fans! The FUTURE looks bright:
    Plekanec, Higgins, Chipchura, A Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Latendress,
    Price, S Kostitsyn, Komisuarus, O’Byrne

6. Will Longlade says:

I hope both these guys are Habs for a life. They’re both keepers.

7. CHsam says:

Keep the drinks comin;!!!!!!

8. johnnyhab says:

There is no way Komi will be signed for under 5 mil a season. If this guy hits the free agent market he will be out of town with a huge contract the Habs can’t afford to lose this guy his work effort and leadership is second to none. What team would not want a big hitting, puck moving, responable d-man….I think there is a few out there.

9. The Big O says:

K, SOME of the defenseman making $5 million and up…

Chara, Niedermayer, Jovo, Timonen, Pronger, Rafalski, Markov, McCabe, Schneider, Souray, Gonchar….

common thread, guys logging tonnes of ice time with great offense!

Some defenseman making $3 to 4 Million…

McKee, Morris, Phillips, Sarich, Mitchell, Spacek, Sutton, White, Rivet.

common thread…defensive defensemen who block alot of shots and hit!

I think Komi fits more into the 2nd group than the first. The last thing that you want to do is tie up too much cash in your D (see maple leafs). I think they could give him a staggered contract, which starts at 3 and ends up at maybe 4.5 at the end of the term over 5 yrs. This is a very young team, 11 players under 25, with free agency coming at 26-27, you have to manage those assets, because you’re going to need to pay those guys as well otherwise you lose them. Overpay one guy means you might lose another guy.

As a free agent, he MIGHT make that much, but I don’t see other teams offering him 5+ only because his offensive game is limited and it’ll depend upon their own salary caps, but I think amongst the general hockey intelligentsia, he’s more a colin white or chris phillips, than a pronger or chara. Bring it up to 40-50 pts then he’s a shoe in for that salary range!

LOVE the guy on D, but not at 5 million up!

10. PattyBoy31 says:

If I hadn’t gotten a price jersey (i’m a goalie, and my fav # is 31 so…) i definately would’ve gotten either a Komi or Higgins jersey. EA better bump up their rating next year theyre both under 80 in nhl 08 :D