Heritage Minister calls Canucks ‘Canada’s team’

Canadian Heritage Minister James Moore has sparked a mini uproar with his Tweet calling the Vancouver Canucks ‘Canada’s team’ in the NHL playoffs.

Moore is from Vancouver, so he may be a little biased, but Canadiens players were not impressed by the comment.

“I think if you asked anyone, the majority of people around Canada,
they’re still going to say that they’re Habs fans,” Josh Gorges said.

“That shocks me,” added Michael Cammalleri.

Cammalleri added that it was clearly the Habs that were “Canada’s team.” He said that in a 2009 survey, one-third of
respondents said the Canadiens were Canada’s team.

1. Clay4bc says:

What’s peurile about it? He is correct is his assessment of the conservative party – especially in the first two items.

Not to say that I’m not glad you’re here, though…

__________________________

“Peoples will only be truly free when the last king is strangled by the bowels of the last priest” Francois Laignelot –

2. showey47 says:

We can make the cap space. If the ducks,leafs and flames have shown us anything. Its that money can actually be moved. What i would be doing is moving both hamr and spacek. Trading for a young and cheaper 2nd pairing dman with a left handed shot to pair with PK next season. Pairing volchenkov with markov would be sweet and i believe it is possible.

3. kakey says:

LOL

if they are the other guests, why not throw in Detroit alum Mike Vernon and Chris Osgood.

4. VancouverHab says:

Well, even I (who hate the Canucks & politicians) think that that part was just a witticism….

5. VancouverHab says:

Ha ha ;–)

6. VancouverHab says:

Please keep the politics off here. Groan. I’m happy you’re here even though I think your politics (as you express them here) are peurile and (in the first two items) empirically false. And I hope you are glad I’m here even though you despise my politics in turn.

So lets leave the politics out of Habs-love, OK?

7. HabFab says:

Love this comment from the articles.

“Minus injured Andrei Markov, youngster P.K. Subban played
    23:17 (second among MTL players behind Josh Gorges) today.  In Game 1 he played
    19:47, in his first two playoff games he got 10:50 and 10:02. It’s the
    emergence of a great young player right before our very eyes,
    unfortunately.”

8. andrewberkshire says:

It’s because we have idiotic “hockey” people running the show instead of people who know anything about business.

9. Psycho29 says:

I think you’re posting on the wrong site…

10. habs4ever2894 says:

Disagree

11. ed lopaz says:

Habs hockey = Smart hockey we work as a team, and we win as a team. we play 5 man defence – not just 2. we play with energy we play with Subban in markov’s place – could have been with us since the Olympics, but nevermind that.

I think this site should stay clear of politics.

12. daveho29 says:

Hate the bruins but love their commercials.

13. usversusthem says:

You called? I use Old Spice, btw.

14. SeriousFan09 says:

While the Predators handcuffed Montreal on Halak with the Rinne contract, Lowe screwed everyone on rookie RFA raises with his offer sheets. This league is so self-destructive at times it’s amazing.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

15. andrewberkshire says:

Burke basically screwed the Senators by signing Komisarek. No one in the league could claim Komisarek is anywhere close to Volchenkov, so he’ll be looking for 5 million, no question.

16. SeriousFan09 says:

I think McPhee is going to notice that there’s no point overloading his offence if his team has fewer playoff series wins than the Canadiens do in the last 3 years. Semin can be sold for an attractive price with so few available offensive stars in FA and despite playoff concerns, he’s still young and someone would likely pay well in picks/prospects for a 40-goal scorer on a 2nd line.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

17. TripleX says:

Hadn’t thought of the Caps for money reasons but yeah that would be a great fit.  Maybe they will try to move Semin to free up cash.

18. SeriousFan09 says:

If they had some Defencemen, they might have something. Green is a winger and he doens’t know it nor does his coach. They have so many 3rd-pair Ds it’s silly really, not one truly solid guy in Volchenkov’s class.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

19. Jbird says:

But you have many issues.  So . . . . .

20. avatar_58 says:

Don’t be silly, Washington isn’t a cup team 😉

21. SeriousFan09 says:

I think Volchenkov wants to go shopping for a Championship myself, maybe Washington will make a play for him.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

22. Jbird says:

!! Love it.

23. nHL80 says:

the CURSE OF THE GOLD MEDAL

Every remaining playoff team besides Montreal has a member of Team Canada (Detroit has Babcock in case you were wondering).

This “Canada’s Team” crap is just another reason why we’re underdogs, and besides, everyone loves a Cinderella story, especially in sports.

Go MONTREAELLA!!

24. TPlow says:

This “Canada’s Team” stuff every year is silly. Canada nothing. I’m a Habs fan. If the Leafs were the only Canadian team left I’d cheer for ANYBODY against them, including Boston. Why? Because I’m a Habs fan. The day the Leafs win the Cup is the worst day in sports history for me, Canadian or not. I would expect the same attitude from Leaf fans about Montreal.

You know who Canada’s team is? Team Canada. They won the Olympics. Now let’s go beat the Pens.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Put your hand on the record player and say, ‘I’m gonna get my freedom!'” — King’s X

25. coachdoug says:

Old news Kevin…

The real story is those Philly women…

“Save us Turtleneck Man…We need you now more than ever!”

26. HugeHabsFan says:

ditto!

……….. “Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!” I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

27. TripleX says:

Volchenkov reportedly turned down the Senator’s offer of 20 million over five years.  I wish we had the cap space and could offer him like 4.25 a year.

28. Sbah Reverof says:

This is good…anything that even smells of “Us vs. Them” is bound to keep a fire lit under their a$$e$.

“I respect your opinion, but you’re completely wrong!”

29. hipster says:

right on!

30. rossingnol says:

Can we get a puckcast? Seriously, its been like forever.

31. SeriousFan09 says:

the Canadiens retired Number 7 for the greatest hockey player of the first half-century of hockey. They didn’t retire the fans as ‘the Seventh Man’. The canadiens do not hang Division and Conference Banners, you want to hang a banner? It better say Stanley Cup on it and for one you won, not a distant ancestor of your team (Pay attention Ottawa on that last one).

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

32. nHL80 says:

I hope they write this on the board in the dressing room.

33. fun police says:

someone is cranky

34. andrewberkshire says:

This comment is full of win!!

35. nightmare_49 says:

…  from PensBurgh

Picking up the pieces

How do the Pens counter this?  Obviously it’s going to be tweaks, no major over-hauls, but adjustments need to be made.  Players and coaches may say along the lines of “we need to keep playing our game”, but that’s largely what Washington said and did.  There’s no doubt Jaroslav Halak and the defense can and will clamp down on any lead and try to hold on.  To adjust how about this: keep the pressure up but maybe look for more low shots.  Halak didn’t give many second chances, but if the Pens can put the puck off of Halak and into a “panic” zone, logic dictates that sooner or later they’ll get pucks in.

36. Especially when soldiers like Matt Cooke, Craig Adams, Maxime Talbot and Pascal Dupuis are playing so well and producing.  It’s surely not a beauty pageant this time of year.
  • habsfan reduxit says:

… but what can you expect from a government that believes Christianity is Canada’s religion, that Palestine is Canada’s enemy, that Alberta is Canada’s model society, and that socialism is Canada’s horror.

“Whenever you have the puck, and don’t know what to do with it, put it in the net.” – Toe Blake

• avatar_58 says:

Oh yeah? Do the Canucks have their own Dollar coin? No? Problem solved.

• Kristopher7 says:

How are the Canucks Canada’s team? I’m Canadian and I love the Canadiens. What BS, the federal government is fail.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Don’t suppose Mario Tremblay and Jeremy Roenick are the other guests?

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

• andrewberkshire says:

Patrick Roy on OTR right now.

• SeriousFan09 says:

This team’s like the Hulk, the angrier they make us the stronger we play.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I wouldn’t mind the Canucks being Canada’s Team.

Just as long as the Tories don’t become Canada’s Team after the next elections.

• BeachHabFan says:

i’m pleasantly surprised gorges and cammy spoke out. usually you get the “everyone has their opinion” comment. nice to see some pride in the room

• avatar_58 says:

Maybe he should let go of his caucus and take care of business

• VancouverHab says:

A Federal Cabinet Minister uses Twitter. God, that’s depressing. Mr. Harper — get a grip on your caucus!

And I can only repeat Mike G below: “…last time I checked, the heritage score between the Canucks and the Habs is 24-0”

Yep!

• HabFanSince72 says:

Their science minister believes in creationism.

Their culture minister thinks the Canucks are Canada’s Team.

Notice a pattern here?

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

He likes the blue/green Canadian Alliance colours of the canucks. Hmmph. We have better looking blue green algae in Lake Memphramagog than they have on uniforms in any arena on the west coast!

What do you call a lazy conservative Minister who sits on his a$$ and tries to talk hockey? A Sedin-Tory bum.

Personally, I wish the ‘nucks well, unless they meet the habs in the finals.

• adam76 says:

Hes from Vancouver – I see no issue with this.

• mike g says:

Calling the Canucks Canada’s Team is like calling the Florida Marlins American’s Team.

People worldwide cheer for the Habs and Leafs more than any other teams in the league. What a useless comment.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

• KC64 says:

Who cares what some sleazy politician says, he’s obviously a moron….GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• nHL80 says:

wait, wait, no let’s give credit where credit is due…Vancouver Millionaires won the cup in 1915.  that’s some heritage ish

• nHL80 says:

What kinda minister Tweets?? lol, lame!

wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute—THIS guy’s our HERITAGE minister???  FAIL!

• Chris B. says:

You know, cheer for your stupid team all you want, but calling the Canucks Canadas Team is just plain ignorant.

• mike g says:

You’d think that a guy who’s job title includes the word “heritage”, would actualy know what heritage means.

Because last time I checked, the heritage score between the Canucks and the Habs is 24-0.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

• JasonM says:

Why are we surprised that politicians always manage to get everything wrong?

• Chris B. says:

Politicians are perhaps some of the dumbest people on earth. Give them a twitter account and stupid things are bound to happen.