Heritage Minister calls Canucks ‘Canada’s team’

Canadian Heritage Minister James Moore has sparked a mini uproar with his Tweet calling the Vancouver Canucks ‘Canada’s team’ in the NHL playoffs.

Moore is from Vancouver, so he may be a little biased, but Canadiens players were not impressed by the comment.

“I think if you asked anyone, the majority of people around Canada,
they’re still going to say that they’re Habs fans,” Josh Gorges said.

“That shocks me,” added Michael Cammalleri.

Cammalleri added that it was clearly the Habs that were “Canada’s team.” He said that in a 2009 survey, one-third of
respondents said the Canadiens were Canada’s team.

1. HabFab says:

Love this comment from the articles.

“Minus injured Andrei Markov, youngster P.K. Subban played
    23:17 (second among MTL players behind Josh Gorges) today.  In Game 1 he played
    19:47, in his first two playoff games he got 10:50 and 10:02. It’s the
    emergence of a great young player right before our very eyes,
    unfortunately.”

2. andrewberkshire says:

It’s because we have idiotic “hockey” people running the show instead of people who know anything about business.

3. Psycho29 says:

I think you’re posting on the wrong site…

4. habs4ever2894 says:

Disagree

5. ed lopaz says:

Habs hockey = Smart hockey we work as a team, and we win as a team. we play 5 man defence – not just 2. we play with energy we play with Subban in markov’s place – could have been with us since the Olympics, but nevermind that.

I think this site should stay clear of politics.

6. daveho29 says:

Hate the bruins but love their commercials.

7. usversusthem says:

You called? I use Old Spice, btw.

8. SeriousFan09 says:

While the Predators handcuffed Montreal on Halak with the Rinne contract, Lowe screwed everyone on rookie RFA raises with his offer sheets. This league is so self-destructive at times it’s amazing.

9. andrewberkshire says:

Burke basically screwed the Senators by signing Komisarek. No one in the league could claim Komisarek is anywhere close to Volchenkov, so he’ll be looking for 5 million, no question.

10. SeriousFan09 says:

I think McPhee is going to notice that there’s no point overloading his offence if his team has fewer playoff series wins than the Canadiens do in the last 3 years. Semin can be sold for an attractive price with so few available offensive stars in FA and despite playoff concerns, he’s still young and someone would likely pay well in picks/prospects for a 40-goal scorer on a 2nd line.

11. TripleX says:

Hadn’t thought of the Caps for money reasons but yeah that would be a great fit.  Maybe they will try to move Semin to free up cash.

12. SeriousFan09 says:

If they had some Defencemen, they might have something. Green is a winger and he doens’t know it nor does his coach. They have so many 3rd-pair Ds it’s silly really, not one truly solid guy in Volchenkov’s class.

13. Jbird says:

But you have many issues.  So . . . . .

14. avatar_58 says:

Don’t be silly, Washington isn’t a cup team ;)

15. SeriousFan09 says:

I think Volchenkov wants to go shopping for a Championship myself, maybe Washington will make a play for him.

16. Jbird says:

!! Love it.

17. nHL80 says:

the CURSE OF THE GOLD MEDAL

Every remaining playoff team besides Montreal has a member of Team Canada (Detroit has Babcock in case you were wondering).

This “Canada’s Team” crap is just another reason why we’re underdogs, and besides, everyone loves a Cinderella story, especially in sports.

Go MONTREAELLA!!

18. TPlow says:

This “Canada’s Team” stuff every year is silly. Canada nothing. I’m a Habs fan. If the Leafs were the only Canadian team left I’d cheer for ANYBODY against them, including Boston. Why? Because I’m a Habs fan. The day the Leafs win the Cup is the worst day in sports history for me, Canadian or not. I would expect the same attitude from Leaf fans about Montreal.

You know who Canada’s team is? Team Canada. They won the Olympics. Now let’s go beat the Pens.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Put your hand on the record player and say, ‘I’m gonna get my freedom!’” — King’s X

19. coachdoug says:

Old news Kevin…

The real story is those Philly women…

“Save us Turtleneck Man…We need you now more than ever!”

20. HugeHabsFan says:

ditto!

……….. “Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!” I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

21. TripleX says:

Volchenkov reportedly turned down the Senator’s offer of 20 million over five years.  I wish we had the cap space and could offer him like 4.25 a year.

22. Sbah Reverof says:

This is good…anything that even smells of “Us vs. Them” is bound to keep a fire lit under their a$$e$.

“I respect your opinion, but you’re completely wrong!”

23. hipster says:

right on!

24. rossingnol says:

Can we get a puckcast? Seriously, its been like forever.

25. SeriousFan09 says:

the Canadiens retired Number 7 for the greatest hockey player of the first half-century of hockey. They didn’t retire the fans as ‘the Seventh Man’. The canadiens do not hang Division and Conference Banners, you want to hang a banner? It better say Stanley Cup on it and for one you won, not a distant ancestor of your team (Pay attention Ottawa on that last one).

26. nHL80 says:

I hope they write this on the board in the dressing room.

27. fun police says:

someone is cranky

28. andrewberkshire says:

This comment is full of win!!

29. nightmare_49 says:

…  from PensBurgh

Picking up the pieces

How do the Pens counter this?  Obviously it’s going to be tweaks, no major over-hauls, but adjustments need to be made.  Players and coaches may say along the lines of “we need to keep playing our game”, but that’s largely what Washington said and did.  There’s no doubt Jaroslav Halak and the defense can and will clamp down on any lead and try to hold on.  To adjust how about this: keep the pressure up but maybe look for more low shots.  Halak didn’t give many second chances, but if the Pens can put the puck off of Halak and into a “panic” zone, logic dictates that sooner or later they’ll get pucks in.

30. Especially when soldiers like Matt Cooke, Craig Adams, Maxime Talbot and Pascal Dupuis are playing so well and producing.  It’s surely not a beauty pageant this time of year.
  • habsfan reduxit says:

… but what can you expect from a government that believes Christianity is Canada’s religion, that Palestine is Canada’s enemy, that Alberta is Canada’s model society, and that socialism is Canada’s horror.

“Whenever you have the puck, and don’t know what to do with it, put it in the net.” – Toe Blake

• avatar_58 says:

Oh yeah? Do the Canucks have their own Dollar coin? No? Problem solved.

• Kristopher7 says:

How are the Canucks Canada’s team? I’m Canadian and I love the Canadiens. What BS, the federal government is fail.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Don’t suppose Mario Tremblay and Jeremy Roenick are the other guests?

• andrewberkshire says:

Patrick Roy on OTR right now.

• SeriousFan09 says:

This team’s like the Hulk, the angrier they make us the stronger we play.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I wouldn’t mind the Canucks being Canada’s Team.

Just as long as the Tories don’t become Canada’s Team after the next elections.

• BeachHabFan says:

i’m pleasantly surprised gorges and cammy spoke out. usually you get the “everyone has their opinion” comment. nice to see some pride in the room

• avatar_58 says:

Maybe he should let go of his caucus and take care of business

• VancouverHab says:

A Federal Cabinet Minister uses Twitter. God, that’s depressing. Mr. Harper — get a grip on your caucus!

And I can only repeat Mike G below: “…last time I checked, the heritage score between the Canucks and the Habs is 24-0″

Yep!

• HabFanSince72 says:

Their science minister believes in creationism.

Their culture minister thinks the Canucks are Canada’s Team.

Notice a pattern here?

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

He likes the blue/green Canadian Alliance colours of the canucks. Hmmph. We have better looking blue green algae in Lake Memphramagog than they have on uniforms in any arena on the west coast!

What do you call a lazy conservative Minister who sits on his a$$ and tries to talk hockey? A Sedin-Tory bum.

Personally, I wish the ‘nucks well, unless they meet the habs in the finals.

• adam76 says:

Hes from Vancouver - I see no issue with this.

• mike g says:

Calling the Canucks Canada’s Team is like calling the Florida Marlins American’s Team.

People worldwide cheer for the Habs and Leafs more than any other teams in the league. What a useless comment.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

• KC64 says:

Who cares what some sleazy politician says, he’s obviously a moron….GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• nHL80 says:

wait, wait, no let’s give credit where credit is due…Vancouver Millionaires won the cup in 1915.  that’s some heritage ish

• nHL80 says:

What kinda minister Tweets?? lol, lame!

wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute—THIS guy’s our HERITAGE minister???  FAIL!

• Chris B. says:

You know, cheer for your stupid team all you want, but calling the Canucks Canadas Team is just plain ignorant.

• mike g says:

You’d think that a guy who’s job title includes the word “heritage”, would actualy know what heritage means.

Because last time I checked, the heritage score between the Canucks and the Habs is 24-0.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

• JasonM says:

Why are we surprised that politicians always manage to get everything wrong?

• Chris B. says:

Politicians are perhaps some of the dumbest people on earth. Give them a twitter account and stupid things are bound to happen.

• Clay4bc says:

What’s peurile about it? He is correct is his assessment of the conservative party – especially in the first two items.

Not to say that I’m not glad you’re here, though…

__________________________

“Peoples will only be truly free when the last king is strangled by the bowels of the last priest” Francois Laignelot -

• showey47 says:

We can make the cap space. If the ducks,leafs and flames have shown us anything. Its that money can actually be moved. What i would be doing is moving both hamr and spacek. Trading for a young and cheaper 2nd pairing dman with a left handed shot to pair with PK next season. Pairing volchenkov with markov would be sweet and i believe it is possible.

• kakey says:

LOL

if they are the other guests, why not throw in Detroit alum Mike Vernon and Chris Osgood.

• VancouverHab says:

Well, even I (who hate the Canucks & politicians) think that that part was just a witticism….

• VancouverHab says:

Ha ha ;–)

• VancouverHab says:

Please keep the politics off here. Groan. I’m happy you’re here even though I think your politics (as you express them here) are peurile and (in the first two items) empirically false. And I hope you are glad I’m here even though you despise my politics in turn.

So lets leave the politics out of Habs-love, OK?

• Harani says:

LOL@Don Cherry looking like a lady’s Handbag!

“I gotta feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

• Danno says:

Don Charra always looks like a douchebag.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• Dee says:

Harper is a Leafs fan!!

Habs Fan 4 Ever & Ever Amen.

• SeriousFan09 says:

The always excellent Blades of Funny has suspicions that certain NHL players are the Green Men from the Canucks GM Place, they also eliminated possible suspects.

• Peter Young says:

The Vancouver Canucks Canada’s team?  Preposterous.  The Canadiens were around for more than 60 years before the Canucks came into existence.  And remember that the Canucks swiped one of our team’s nicknames.  The Canadiens were often referred to, in both the media and everyday speech, as the Canucks before the Vancouver NHL team came into being.  The Vancouver Canucks are Johnny-come-latelies.  Perhaps they’re British Columbia’s team, but that’s it.

• kempie says:

Please tell me that’s not really true.

• ifitwasnt4kovalev says:

Just got tickets for Thursdays game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do I care about James Moore ??? No…..

Am I gonna watch Dominic Moore thursday, YES!

How exciting is it reading comments made by James Moore ?….not very….

how exciting is it to watch Montreal beat Les Penguins on Thursday……….VERY!!!!

Who are the vancouver caSUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????

• VancouverHab says:

Woah woah! Slow down. You’re not listening to the boy himself. On the site you link to, Don is defending vigorously Halak: at the section malevolently titled “Don has no time for your comments or emails” he is responding to some cbc talking heads quoting posts from the HNIC blog calling Halak “Red Light”. Don jumps in and defends (though misprnounces” Halak from idiot commentors.

Sounds great to me…

• andrewberkshire says:

Don’t look now, but 4/5 top playoff goal scorers are “smurfs”. And the top 4 point getters in the NHL playoffs are all under 6 feet tall. I thought the playoffs was where little guys couldn’t fight through tight checking?

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…CASUCKS ???

…WHY didn’t I think of THAT ???

…maybe small things satisfies a small mind …BUT I think THATs funny

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• topher5468 says:

Is it just me or is what Crosby did yesterday getting swept under the rug. That was blatent unsportsmen like conduct but Brian Engblom said he Loved Crosby’s emotion, Are you efin kidding me, someone could have been injured, the blade of his stick wound up in the net. Thats BS, Crosby is a whiny bitch and should have to answer for his Imaturity like Price did. I wonder if Jack Todd is gonna write about that

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

• Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Hey guys, if the draft order for teams 15-30 is determined by how teams fair in the playoffs, does that mean that the highest pick the Habs can get this year is a 22nd overall pick?

• Keith says:

What would you expect from a dumbassed politician anyway. And a Conservative to boot. A very narrow-minded bunch in Ottawa.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…it’s The Revenge Of The Smurfs Andy

…in this Life, We will ALL have Our Day to kick butt

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• SeriousFan09 says:

Correct, but we’ll have to settle for the 30th overall pick ;)

• Rainrocket16 says:

Agree 100% with Topher’s comment below. I am quite pissed off that Adams did get any suspenesion for his dirty BS on MAB…

-and to comment on the Politicians comment today, I will just say this….

Habs are GOD’S team!

• Rainrocket16 says:

sorry I mean didn’t get any suspension!

• punkster says:

Your comment would normally generate a s— storm of responses from the crowd who loves to use derogatory words when commenting on our vertically challenged forwards. However they have been strangely silent in the past week (apart from a couple of individuals trolling for attention). Now if you were to toss a goalie to the wolves…;)

• Danno says:

Mike Cammalleri. History will be made.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• andrewberkshire says:

Fleury sucks! Oh wait…. you mean one of our goalies right?

• andrewberkshire says:

Hopefully this continues to be our day for another 11 wins!

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I would start Cary Dave … :-))

…(let the s%&t-storm BEGIN)

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• petrov14 says:

One of the best i’ve seen.

______________________________________ Gionta for Captain.

• petrov14 says:

WOOP!

______________________________________ Gionta for Captain.

• ice_queen says:

I think you hit the nail right on the head there – breaking his stick in frustration was as immature as Carey’s shooting the puck into the crowd of celebrating Caps players, yet he will not be punished in any way because he is the darling of the NHL.

I think it’s quite the double standard. When you put players like that on a pedestal, they can get away with anything. What he did was unsportsmanlike and would have been a penalty if he was anyone else but Sidney Crosby. What can you do?

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…actually I see a Gill for Gerbe trade with Buffalo likely comin’-up this summer

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• petrov14 says:

Great observation, Andrew! Kudos.

______________________________________ Gionta for Captain.

• dpthehabsfan says:

Canadian Heritage Minister James Moore said something.

WHO?

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Anyone catch Roy on OTR?

• steadyjake says:

Canadiens are America’s team. Big fan in Wyoming, y’all.

• ZepFan2 says:

Meh, this is nothing to get PO’ed at. The Canucks can be “Canada’s team”.

As long as the Habs are Canada’s Stanley cup winning team. ;-)

———————————————————–

Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.”
    - Sam Pollock

• kempie says:

oy oy oy

• Xtrahabsfan says:

Ya ,the  nuckleheads with ZERO Stanley cups are Canada team…..some where Bettman is laughing his real short ass off !

• petefleet says:

Yeah, he was great but Landsberg is a dick.  Roy gave Halak props and said Price had his chances and blew it (basically).  He also said Price may need more time to mature.  He talked alot about the past because Landsberg asked him about it, what a dick.

Go Habs Go

Yup, excellent interview.

• andrewberkshire says:

Just a short guy cheering for other short guys hahaha.

• andrewberkshire says:

Who cares? That was game 6, way back in October.

• GP HABS FAN says:

Settle down biggin.  Can’t have a laugh at some bad english?

• RiverviewCanadien says:

I never caught all of it, had to run out with the family. I watched up to where Landsberg was going to ask about the past I think.

• andrewberkshire says:

Ironic that this comment that you’ve written is in poor english, and not a word of english was spoken by AK46 in that clip.

• dpthehabsfan says:

Why does anybody go on Landsberg’s show? Who wants to be interviewed by Frankenstein impersonating a transvestite?

Roy was being a good boy…

• andrewberkshire says:

It’s already up on tsn.ca I believe. It was a really good interview, I’d recommend it.

• GP HABS FAN says:

Be cool, be cool.  Man you have always had it out for me some for some reason, if you didn’t understand the original posts purpose then why even reply?  Just have a laugh at some bad FRENCH, Lt.Buzzkill
    This is even better  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-is0Sg1jVQ&feature=related

• andrewberkshire says:

He only said his name, so there was no French either. I don’t have it out for you, I don’t even know who you are. But if you constantly post comments with the intent of needlessly bashing players, I probably respond in a similar manner because I have no patience for that crap.

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Thanks Andrew. Watching it now.

• WestHab says:

Great post and avatar.

Les Smurfs Sont La!

• topher5468 says:

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

• Top Corner says:

Curious…is this to par or what??

• Ian Cobb says:

Ya, good to see the other side of all the negative stuff. His son and himself were relaxed and well spoken. His son sounds like a well grounded kid. Good for both of them.

• topher5468 says:

Regarding OTR, I thought Roy was 10 out of 11 in OT in 93. He lost game 1 to the Nords in OT, then won 10 straight, right?

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

• andrewberkshire says:

Pretty sure you’re correct.

• GP HABS FAN says:

I wasn’t bashing him it was just funny how he said it.

• HugeHabsFan says:

Sadly, nothing will ever be done.  I love watching Sidney Crosby, but when he behaves like that, it makes me sick.  I know he’s young, but time to grow up and be held to the same standard as the rest of the players in the league.

………..

“Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!”

I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

• Caper says:

Right you are ken!

• ProHabs says:

Your right. The Habs were winning game 1, then with about 3-4 minutes to go Gilbert Dionne got cocky and elbowed a Nordog in the offensive zone behind the net. The Nordogs tied it and then won in OT. I think it might have been Scott Young who scored the OT goal.

• wotever says:

Crosby can break as many sticks as he wants as long as we don’t get called for interference like Dominic Moore would have been during the regular season.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if they start calling those from now on and we’ll be the ones to suffer, especially when Crosby beats Bergeron and Moore to the puck.

So go ahead, keep on whining.

You’ll have to speak up – I’m wearing a towel.

• go.habs.go says:

very nice. that one could end up being important.

• pmaraw says:

Just saw Fleury and Talbot walking down St. Antoine street. Penguins are staying at the Westin on St. Antoine and Bleury if anyone wants to keep them up all night. Just sayin….

• goinforstanley says:

The stats show there are more Habs fans in Canada.I don’t care about this guys opinion here.

Go Habs Go!!!

• MontrealAtheist says:

Philadelphia Flyers – 21 Canadians on the roster
    Chicago Blackhawks – 20 Canadians on the roster
    Boston Bruins – 19 Canadians on the roster
    Vancouver Canucks – 18 Canadians on the roster
    Pittsburgh Penguins – 17 Canadians on the roster
    San Jose Sharks – 16 Canadians on the roster
    Montreal Canadians – 15 Canadians on the roster
    Detroit Red Wings – 10 Canadians on the roster

Clearly among the teams still left in the playoffs the Flyers are Canada’s team, followed by the Hawks and the Bruins.

• WestHab says:

Just one more reason to want to win.

Les Smurfs Sont La!

Uh, no.

• Psycho29 says:

Yeah, the Canuck’s are Canada’s team…..Righttttt….

The team that retired Wayne Maki’s number 11 when he died of brain cancer in 1974 at age 29. Then when Mark Messier signed with Vancouver, they “unretired” number 11 so ‘Mess’ could wear it…

There’s a classy organization for you…..

• HabsFanInVictoria says:

This is a stupid comment made by a politician that clearly favours the West.  I’m from Victoria, and although there are a lot of Canucks fans here, there are still plenty of Habs fans waving flags around town.  I highly doubt that there are that many Canucks flags waving in Montreal or the surrounding area. Can somebody tell me if that’s true?

I wish the Habs collectively said “no comment, we have a playoff series to focus on, and this is just a dumb distraction”.

I wish the Canucks collectively say, “Who cares if some politician called us Canada’s team, we have a playoff series to focus on”.

• Craig_Mc says:

Ok, everybody take a valium and chill. The minister even tweeted that it was tongue in cheek. Sheesh folks, we should all be able to let stuff like this slide. It’s one thing when this comes (obviously in a playful manner) from a government official, and another when someone like Matt Cooke talks smack about Subban trying to intentionally cut players with his skates.

Besides, Canucks, Habs……. as much as I believe, all this sort of talk is just so much BS until the two teams face off in the final (or at least one of the two does, and we know which that will be).

• The Cat says:

Bostons going all the way I think.

• adam76 says:

All the why to the east finals.

• The Cat says:

I agree that hes grown in confidence, and not just that, but a vote of confidence from certain people as well Im sure helped a lot.

• Bugs says:

Good points. Especially the in comparison to Crapisher part.

But by his “consistently improving” as you point out yourself, he was consistent.

Which means he’s the same. Cuz he never stopped improving. Still doin it now.

That’s where I was comin from.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

• Bugs says:

Disagree, Hoya.

I think Halak last year was the same as this year.

Think he’s been the same since 2006 to tell you the truth.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

• andrewberkshire says:

Not even close Bugs, look at his stats. His save % has been consistently climbing, and until this year Halak had never played the contender teams. Halak this season is completely different than he’s ever been. He’s grown and developed very well. His contribution to the team in 2006-07 is massively overblown as he was only seen as good when compared to Aebischer.

• andrewberkshire says:

Actually Price finished 08-09 fairly strong statistically, the only months that Halak had a strong statistical advantage were January and February.

• MontrealAtheist says:

I think making better use of Halak during last year’s playoff run instead of confining him to the role of backup goalie would have given us a decent chance even without scoring too many goals. As it turns out, the team can actually win games with only 2-3 goals, so better goaltending would definitely have improved our odds.

• alestar says:

Last years Habs with Patrick Roy in his prime would have lost in the first round…they played like they were trying to lose!

XXIV…and counting

• SeriousFan09 says:

I’m Reposting this to the top and in further detail to make a point.

Do people honestly
    believe
    that Jaroslav Halak in nets for the 2009 Playoffs against
    the First-Place Boston Bruins, playing a Canadiens team without…

- Matt
    Schneider (Busted wing, no slapshot, played 2 games)

- Andrei Markov

- Robert Lang

- Alex Tanguay (Floating or Moaning on IR, was there a difference?)

Then we had Komisarek’s head a foot up his rear, Plekanec of the 39P in Regular season, Georges “The Da Vinci Code” Laraque, Matt “I Had 6 goals in December” D’Agostini, Greg “I’m an AHLer” Stewart, Guimauve… I’d go on but it gets sort of mean.

Guys trying: Higgins, Metropolit, Koivu, Kovalev, Gorges, Kostopolous, Laps and…??? 5 of those 7 players didn’t even register goals.

Anyone willing to lay down that all they needed was Halak in nets to beat the Bruins?

• likehoy says:

halak last year was not the halak of this year. there was no saving last year’s team.

- What if Jaro Halak’s hand was indeed shaking? What if you took the CHOKE out of Ovechkin? — History Will Be Made

• Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Halak’s stats would have been better and maybe it would have gone to 5 games, but Bruins still would have kicked our butts. Habs only scored 6 goals in that series. 6!

Habs scored 8 goals alone in the first 2 games of the series against Capitals this year.

• VancouverHab says:

O, well said sir! (& bonus points for the Laraque quip!)

Nope — needs the whole revamped package PLUS Halak at his best to be pushing the Big Guys like we are.

Respects.

• G-Man says:

Yup, they should have played Halak. Habs would have won in 6. :)

• Habscore says:

LOL

– YES HABS CAN!! –

• Off-side says:

In which SUV have you been hiding?

• habsfanmandy says:

Loved it!

I’m waiting for a “I Will Survive” video from the first round, Ovie: “you thought we’d lay down and die” etc etc

Bring the Cup home Boys! I Will Always Believe

A man walks into a bar and asks for an Ovechkin. “What’s that?” asks the bartender. “A White Russian, no ice, no cup.”

• Big Bird says:

Nice work.

• andrewberkshire says:

That’s actually an excellent slogan, don’t change it.

• Matt_in_TO says:

The funny thing about James Moore is the fact that he tweeted that he’s hosting a reception tomorrow for Georges St. Pierre who we all know is a huge Habs fan.  Perhaps GSP can enlighten Mr. Moore as to which team is Canada’s team.

- I Hab Faith

• SeriousFan09 says:

Slogan’s perfect for what the team achieved, keep it.

• avatar_58 says:

Awesome!

• HabsRadio says:

This guy’s an idiot in more ways than his knowledge of hockey loyalties.  But I really don’t get why we’re giving him this much attention to begin with on a topic he knows little about.

We actually discuss him briefly along with a whole bunch of other stuff on our latest podcast: http://www.habsradio.com/

===========================================================================
    Check out http://www.HabsRadio.com for a fresh take on all things Habs. Blogs, Discussions, and of course, the Podcast!

• andrewberkshire says:

Anyone else find Jim Hughson’s slobbering over Luongo a bit nauseating?

• BKAK72 says:

It would be fun to win the CUP in Vancouver to give all the HABS fans in VANCOUVER an opportunity to party as well.

– I will not apologize for being a delirious HABS fan! –

• ProHabs says:

About as nauseating as B. Brunet slobbering over Lappy (or Latenderness when he was here). Hughson is a homer, he loves the Canucks, just like Brunet loves the Habs. He is still one of the best commentors along with Chris “don’t call me sloppy seconds Alisa” Cuthburt.

• SeriousFan09 says:

My father is still wondering when someone of Danny Gallivan’s quality will come around again to call hockey games. Seems he’s still in for a long wait.

• MTLForever says:

we all know who canada’s team really is.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Would Ron or Kelly please ask Mike about his trading Luongo back when he ran the Islanders? Please?

And WTF: Does Hrudey prove he’s a tool, calling Brodeur the best of all time.

• ABHabsfan says:

Sounds like MacGuire’s verbal leg-humping of Ovechkin. I wouldn’t call that flopping around in the crease good goaltending but I guess it’s working.

• wall2bay says:

This goof is the Heritage Minister? I bet he thinks Mulroney was the first PM of Canada!

Brian Burke = Overrated Loud Mouth POS

• Clay4bc says:

Nice work, man. And the slogan is perfect, IMO.

• doug says:

I can’t believe ANYONE is getting worked up by this.  The guy’s from Vancouver and made a silly comment.  I guess the politicians are at each other’s throats because the stakes are so  small.

• andrewberkshire says:

Jim Hughson is definitely NOT one of the best commentators. He never sounds excited unless it’s the patented “GREAT save LUONGO”. I’d much prefer Gord Miller, Chris Cuthbert or even Bob Cole, who all genuinely sound excited about the game all the time.

• andrewberkshire says:

Hrudey’s biggest problem his entire career as a commentator was a pure hatred of Patrick Roy. It’s incredibly clear whenever he talks about Roy that he despises him, just can’t separate the feeling of loss in 1993 I guess. Other than that, he’s actually a very damn good commentator.

• habaholic68NJ says:

Canada’s heritage minister sucks more.

• SeriousFan09 says:

I honestly believe Healy, Hrudey and Cherry run a support group in the basement of the CBC Toronto building for everyone who feels like the Canadiens ruined their careers.

• Harditya_CareyPrice says:

What a different team Chicago was in the regular season. What’s up with Keith and Seabrook? Heck, the entire D is not bringing their A-game. Props to Niemi – playing better than I thought he would.

• andrewberkshire says:

Seems to be working so far, but eventually the Hawks are going to stop missing the net.

• andrewberkshire says:

Have to put Milbury in that group as well, for at least ruining his chance at a cup!

• Rainrocket16 says:

Versus is the worst hockey programming ever!! The score does not show up on my screen, the commentators are all pro Crosby, They never show the national anthems before the games. I miss CBC of the old days. I cannot believe no one is talking about the 1st Cammy goal yesterday! God, that may have been the best goal all year long!

• Clay4bc says:

It’s kind of refreshing that a Canadian broadcaster cheers for a Canadian team…although Cole was pulling for the Habs last game as well.

And I think Houson is among the best in the business now.

• jrshabs1 says:

“yawn”….does anybody really care?

GO HABS GO!!!!!!

• Harditya_CareyPrice says:

That was a beauty, better than Gionta’s goal against the Sabres (off the boards – during the 2nd game of the season).

• Sambaguio says:

What about those Bruins, eh? We’re going to have a rematch but this time we’ll win with Halak in goal.  No more humiliation for Halak this year and beyond. Cup 25, here we come!!

Oh, Minister James Moore will eat his words once we win Cup 25. How many Cups has Vancouver won??? Ah.. zero, nada, zip….!!

——————————————
    Halak is beaming right now, “Look, Gainey, I’m the REAL number 1. Your so-called ‘thoroughbred’ is sitting on the bench.”

• Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Habs top 15 goals of the 09-10 regular season – pretty nice video.

• Clay4bc says:

That’s why they make different kinds of beer, Andrew – we all have different taste.

• SeriousFan09 says:

We’ll win this time because we have a squad of playoff skaters top to bottom in the organization, Halak couldn’t have changed 08-09, nor Dryden, Roy couldn’t have changed that series around.

• andrewberkshire says:

I’m not a fan of Houson. But to each his own.

• Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Goal #11 by Andrei Kostitsyn against Minnesota is sweeeet!

• andrewberkshire says:

And they make everything else for me because I hate beer!

• Clay4bc says:

Any of those goalies mentioned likely would have changes the series results the last time we played Philly though. But yeah – on ’09 playoffs, this team had very little determination to win.

• andrewberkshire says:

Dryden or Roy maybe, but certainly not Halak. Remember that we couldn’t score in that series either.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Couldn’t score goals in 2008 either against Martin Biron either, or manage a PP when they got them. A Cammalleri would’ve been nice in that year, plus a Gionta.

• andrewberkshire says:

To clarify, this isn’t a dig at Halak, but he started a game in that series and wasn’t very good. In the last two years Halak has gone from being a good young goalie to an fantastic young goalie. His development has been on a sharp incline.

• Mikey_39 says:

So basically what this video is saying is play the kostitsyns because they are capable of doing some amazing things, and SIGN THE S H I T out of Plekky!!

• Bugs says:

Ministre du “Patrimoine”, my cotton-tailed butt. His patrimoine ends at the end of his closed-community wasp street, no need to get up in arms about this.

If his precious Nucks were faced with Smurf Power, they’d fold like a wet napkin too, so let’m rah-rah, siskum-bah his way to Egg-Face Lodge while we collect the spoils.

Oh, and best not to tell’m to read any ACTUAL surveys and to instead stick to the ones he’s made up in his closed-community wasp mind lest he become so distraught, he won’t be able to promote our (ahem) patrimoine with the austerity and respect it deserves.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

• pmaraw says:

imagine it wasn’t even the HON on TSN, some cheezo between the legs goal by clowe i think.

• SeriousFan09 says:

How many games were won this year because of the work of Tomas Plekanec? We wouldn’t have made the playoffs without the guy and he’s had some big moments in the playoffs, 4G, 4A already when his best was 9P in 12G.

• Clay4bc says:

Now we couldn’t…but Price made R.J. Umburger look like Wayne Gretzky. And Halak only got one kick at the can…would have been nice to see him get another shot. He played very well in the loss.

• pmaraw says:

I gotta agree with Cherry on that one…  that IDesk is a horrible idea.  Thats the 1st time I’ve seen them read emails or forum posts or whatever, talk about really stretching to come up with something to talk about.  Of course they pick all the ones berating the habs, big surprise there.

At least when Dave Hodge does it, hes classy and unbias’d  he’ll pick messages from both sides, and one from someone sitting on the fence.

• pmaraw says:

OH NO “Canada’s Team” just lost 4-2!!!  DOOM AND GLOOM!!!!

• andrewberkshire says:

3 goals on 25 shots, one from Umberger as well. Halak was ok, but nothing special at all in that game, similar to Price in game 4 this year against Washington.

• wotever says:

NO, HALAK has ALWAYS been good, just BOB GAINEY never game him a chance.  PRICE is a BUM, and should be chased out of town with his smoking buddies, cause he’s fat and he hates the fans and he always loses when we put only one puck in the net.

Not to say the fans here are short-memoried or anything.

You’ll have to speak up – I’m wearing a towel.

• FSUPhi1584 says:

It was #2 on sportcenter’s top 10

• SeriousFan09 says:

Lesson the Canucks didn’t learn from last year: Give the Hawks a chance to claw back into a game, they will.

Oh, and Luongo should be more consistent game-to-game.

• jrshabs1 says:

What???!!!!  Why do you put us through this crap every day?

• Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Wow.

• MontrealAtheist says:

It’s true that the ‘Nucks are way too new to be considered contenders for “Canada’s team”. That honor should be restricted to members of the Original 6, i.e. the Leafs or the Habs.

Well, the Leafs were only added to the NHL as an afterthought out of pity for Toronto, so they don’t really count, so that basically leaves us with the Habs.

Go Habs go !!!

• Rainrocket16 says:

no need to sweat his comments at all! Keep the Zen,…. eh bugs!?

• Off-side says:

With an oil spill threatening our world, you call this news?

• wotever says:

;-)

You’ll have to speak up – I’m wearing a towel.

• Rainrocket16 says:

Instead of buying towels at the Bell centre to wave in the Pens faces tommorrow, habs concessions agreed with the Molson’s to hand out stanley cup banners and retired jersey banners instead..I mean hey…we have enough of them to go around I think!!!

• MontrealAtheist says:

Whether it’s the Bruins or the Flyers, they both knocked us out in the past two years, so if we make it past the Penguins it would be payback time regardless of whom we face in the conference finals.

As for Cup 25, well, if we can eliminate the Capitals and the Penguins the rest should be peanuts, no?

• andrewberkshire says:

Threatening our world is a little overdramatic. It’s bad for the environment and wildlife in the gulf of Mexico, but it isn’t threatening our world.

• MontrealAtheist says:

You’re 100% right on the money. If Gainey wouldn’t have constantly pushed Price due to his potential which he may or may not realize some time I doubt that we would have been whipped by the Bruins in 4 straight. Thankfully Gainey is gone now, so the decisions on who get to play in nets is based on skills and wins rather than being the GM’s favorite son.

I think it was sarcasm.

• andrewberkshire says:

You realize that Gainey isn’t gone right? He’s still attending every single game, sitting right beside Pierre Gauthier. Gauthier was also Gainey’s right hand man before he took over and was part of every single decision the club made.

As a purported atheist, I find it ridiculous that you would buy into conspiracy theories like Gainey forcing coaches to play Price.

• Ayan_SB says:

“I think if you asked anyone, the majority of people around Canada,
    they’re still going to say that they’re Habs fans,” Josh Gorges said.

The fact that Gorges said that is quite interesting considering he’s from Kelowna, BC.

• old fan says:

Lets just consider the source here. When was the last time any politician actually made a comment that sounded like he knew what he was talking about (other than him/herself)  I rest my case.

• Rainrocket16 says:

Most Excellent!!!

• Bugs says:

Because honestly, Junior, if I don’t, who will?

Smurf Power, baby.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

• 11habs11 says:

wow, that’s awesome

• shootdapuck says:

Consider the source; “Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages”.

This guy manages Canadian Heritage and makes a BS statement like that!

Canada’s team according to him has done exactly what in 40 years in the league?

Appears to him heritage starts in 1970 when the Canucks joined the NHL, six year before he was born!

Typical lifelong left coaster who went from university to politics and never worked a day in a real job!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

• Bugs says:

To keep zen, you must eliminate exclamation points, mate.

You know this.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

• Sambaguio says:

You fool. Price lost all 4 games and Halak was never given a chance. Roy had lousy teams in front of him during his reign as a rookie, but he still kept winning. Halak, Roy, Dryden, are up there as the greatest elite goalies. Price is just overrated ..more like the second coming of Theodore.

——————————————

• phillyhab says:

Attaboy Cherry!

• MontrealAtheist says:

Habs fans would be celebrating all over the world regardless of where we win the CUP :-)

• Bugs says:

I liked it when he said a few months back “Je craw kuh le frawnsé est un party treh, treh importanté de la patrymwan de suh payee.”

Remember thinkin “Woof, glad this guy’s got MY back.”

Superfluously redundant, I remain

• Sambaguio says:

They had determination, they just happened to have a lousy goalie. Why would you be determined to win when every effort you make, Princess Price kept giving softies. *shaking my head in disbelief*

——————————————

• phillyhab says:

Red-light Havakloklov.  Hilarious.

• Bugs says:

He also said there were more Habs fans in Kelowna than Nuckers.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

• Bugs says:

White towels was a bad idea. WE don’t copy other teams; other teams copy US.

Seems evident to me that we shoulda had RED, WHITE’N'BLUE towels if anything.

THAT woulda been cool.

The optical effect of 20 000 multicoloured fanions twirlin?

C’mon.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

• Sambaguio says:

You’lll eat your words once we beat the Pens and win the Cup. Halak has been ridiculed by people like you again and  again but he has proven himself that he is an elite goalie comparable to the great Roy and Dryden. Beating the goliath Capitals is a superhuman feat. Beating the Pens is even remarkable so don’t give me that idiotic comment “certainly not Halak.”

——————————————

• Kristopher7 says:

Wow, his French is that sad? Reading that sounds like he wasn’t even trying, you have any videos of this guy speaking?

• Kristopher7 says:

It can have serious ramifications extending from the Gulf of Mexico. They didn’t opt in for the 500k emergency switch and an “unlimited” amount is continuously pouring out. Also, “dead zones” in the ocean affects EVERYONE, not just the Gulf of Mexico.

• Bugs says:

No, it’s not that sad.

It’s sad to ME, but overall, his French is good French. I tend to overembellish, Kris, sorry about that.

But his French should be accentless and faultless. Or else, “patrimoine”, my azz.

My opinion.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

• SeriousFan09 says:

1986, were the following players ‘lousy’

- Larry Robinson, Two-Time Norris, Conn Smythe Winner

- Bob Gainey, Four Time Selke Winner, Conn Smythe Winner

- Guy Carbonneau, Three Time Selke Winner

- Chris Chelios, Three-Time Norris Winner

- Claude Lemieux, Conn Smythe Winner, 9th-all NHL time in Playoff points.

- Mats Naslund, last Canadien to have a 100+ point season

- Bobby Smith, Calder Trophy winner 1979

Roy was magnificent in 1986, but he wasn’t playing with nobodies either.

It is beyond fantasy to argue that 2009 could have changed just because Halak was in nets, that team had little heart and little playoff ability compared to this year’s squad.

• MontrealAtheist says:

Whether or not they had determination is one thing, but the fact that Gainey kept on pushing Price even though Halak’s stats were obviously better certainly did not help the cause either.

Apparently getting some hands-on playoff experience for Price was more important to Gainey than the success of the franchise, so we were pretty much doomed. Halak did not develop all those superhero powers that everyone keeps on talking about now overnight as soon as Gainey left, the skills and talent were there all along for everyone to see, except for that Gainey turned a blind eye towards it in favor of his favorite son Carey Price.

• megagoten says:

our esteemed mayor. who predicted that our habs would pwn.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Buddy, no one who calls themselves a Habs fan is less than overjoyed with what Halak has done this season and in these playoffs. But Halak was not this good two years ago, he has gotten better over time, evolved as a goaltender and made great improvements to his game. No one denies he is the better goaltender right now but he wasn’t this good two years ago anymore than he was this good when he was originally drafted in 2003.

• Rainrocket16 says:

What a bonehead thing to say…Twitter is just a bad thing, has this tweeting done anybody any good?

It’s like saying that the Mets are NY’s team..haha, the Yankees fans would react in the same manner as the Habs fans.

• Kristopher7 says:

I think he said “Hakakok” , but either way, good on him for calling out reading random crap e-mails on high viewing national television.

• andrewberkshire says:

I’m aware of the situation, but threatening our world? No.

• Kristopher7 says:

Jdub, you make that one? Good work sir, that slogan is VERY GOOD! Everyone said Caps in 4-5 games, good stuff sir!

• andrewberkshire says:

You are the most annoying poster on this site. This is a site about the Montreal Canadiens, not Jaroslav Halak. All you ever post about is Halak, it’s your entire reason for commenting. Get a life.

To address your comment, you idiot (since you’re throwing out insults), Halak got a game against Phili, and lost, he didn’t play well either. So no, he wouldn’t have won that series. 2 years is a long time of development for a goaltender of Halak’s age, so yes, Halak would not have made a huge difference in that series because HE WASN’T NEARLY AS GOOD AS HE IS NOW.

• Sambaguio says:

Halak’s always been good but he was never given ample chances. I speak only Halak because goaltending is my forte. Oh, YOU are THE most annoying poster on this site.YOU’RE SO ANNOYING for taking the time to respond to my posts! LOL. You can’t take my opinion because Halak  keeps winning and your lover Price is sitting on the bench. LOL

——————————————

• Sambaguio says:

NOT TRUE. Halak has ALWAYS been good but Pricelover Gainey never gave Halak a chance .. from Huet’s time to Price’s.

——————————————

• SeriousFan09 says:

He’s always been good, but never this good until now is what I am saying. Believe what you want, no pro scout would argue that Halak was as good in 07-08 as he is today.

• Sambaguio says:

Yea, but Roy was better, he won MVP. And 4 Cups to boot. This year, Halak’s finally given a chance for the first time in his career and he has proven himself that he is an elite goalie. You’ll forget about this argument once we win Cup 25. I’ll meet you at the parade and slap you as punishment for not believing in my boy Halak. Deal??!!!

——————————————

• Sambaguio says:

But he was ONLY given a chance UNTIL NOW. Last few years, he was only given a chance to play 2, 10 games?? And you judged his talent with those few games? This year, he was finally given a chance to play more than 50% of full season games. And this playoff, someone (JM) finally believed in  him and kept playing him when he had one bad game. For the first time, Halak was finally given the respect he deserves!

——————————————

• SeriousFan09 says:

He was the best of them, but he wasn’t alone either was my argument. He had a good team with him and because of his fantastic play, they won but he didn’t lift the 80s Blackhawks (a sad sack squad if there ever was one) by himself, he had a good team, he made them great in the playoffs. Roy is one of very few goaltenders in league history who can literally change a game with his play, but at the same time no goalie can be so impossibly good that he lifts a team that is non-playoff quality to the Cup.

Goaltending can change a Stanley Cup Playoffs and Halak is proving that, but Halak couldn’t have taken the 2009 Canadiens far, or the 2008 Canadiens that far either. He wasn’t good enough yet in 2008, in 2009 the team was a waste and only now as his game has reached a new level and the Canadiens are a team built for playoffs can he can we now speak of a Cup bid with Halak in nets.

• Xtrahabsfan says:

Bullshit!

• SeriousFan09 says:

I call it examining career stats and watching just about every Canadiens game played in the last two years.

Halak’s stats have improved over his career, getting better with each year and his technique has improved. He has improved with playing the puck, handling rebounds and breakaways. His battling style has improved with better positional play so he doesn’t have to battle as often and his glove side is better than ever.

Halak went from sitting on the bench for his National Team in the 2007 IIHF World Championship to being their starting goalie for the 2010 Olympics for that reason, he became a better goalie so he was given a starting role with his national team. You want to pretend Halak has always been as good as he is now sure, go ahead but you’re not fooling me, or anyone who’s watched the guy play over the last two years.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Okay, tinfoil hat squad is out in force tonight.

Do people honestly believe that Jaroslav Halak in nets for the 2009 Playoffs against the First-Place Boston Bruins, playing a Canadiens team without Matt Schneider, Andrei Markov, Robert Lang, Alex Tanguay Floating or Moaning on IR, Komisarek’s Head up his rear, Pleks of 39 Points plus the rest of the forgettable team would have UPSET the Bruins just because Halak was there?

• Clay4bc says:

Well, I’m from Alberta, and the local teams never get an ounce of my loyalty – Habs all the way, all the time.

• Clay4bc says:

Why the attitude, Sammy? No need to insult anyone. How about we have a civil discussion? Calling someone a “fool” kind of makes people not take the rest of what you say seriously.

On the basis of your goalie arguement, I’m on your side…but as for the rest, I stand in the other camp firmly. You need to gain some maturity.

• Clay4bc says:

Preaching to the choir, my friend. I have been firmly in the Halak camp for years.

• Clay4bc says:

The most annoying poster, perhaps. But that’s only because Priceberg is in hiding due to Halak’s stellar play!

;-)

• andrewberkshire says:

Too true, Clay, too true.

• andrewberkshire says:

Your opinion is idiotic. In fact I’m glad Price is on the bench because Halak is playing better, and therefor the team has a better chance to win. You on the other hand only cheer for a player, not the Canadiens. Maybe you should be commenting on Halakinsideout.com

• VancouverHab says:

Or, he changed course, hired another experienced respectable coach-GM (Martin) and let the decision be made by him.

And this is all voodoo anyway — crikey, the Bob Gainey hatred is so bad that we even have the “Atheist” claiming Divine Power: that is, claiming to know what Mr. Gainey would have done if he had stayed on as coach. Well God knows (and so the Atheist must be a prophet of God) that, but we mortals have no *&*&^!ing idea what would have happened IN A REALITY THAT NEVER EXISTED.

It’s tinfoil hat time here for sure….Sigh.

• jrshabs1 says:

Thank-you…your comment made sense and I didn’t get a headache trying to decipher it’s hidden meaning.

• The Big O says:

why isn’t the Bloc all over this?? LOL!

At least Justin Trudeau stuck up for the habs on the clip i saw on the news…

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Habs are my team. Other than that I hate when people insert politics into sports. Anyone who would let his political views determine his team or vice versa isn’t grown up enough to cast a vote.

• light_n_tasty says:

The Bloc was all over it.  Duceppe said “Their right, the Canucks are Canada’s team, and the Habs are Quebec’s team”.  Or something to that effect.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

So? Who is Justin Trudeau and why would I care about what he thinks any more than the dickhead from Vancouver? Politicians should do their job, STFU, and not mix politics with sports. Go Habs!

• Shublips says:

Ok, I understand why this is a story but in all honesty, why is this even a story?

I mean, who cares what the heritage minister says about hockey?  The guy is from Vancouver so clearly trying to curry favour.

But ultimately, who cares?

I’m a Habs fan, as are most if not all of you, and I love my team.  Why do I care if someone else does or doesn’t, or if they do or don’t think the Habs are Canada’s team.

I don’t care.  All I know is the the Habs are MY team and I couldn’t care less whether Canada feels the same way or not.

No?  Is it me?

Habs Addict.com http://www.HabsAddict.com on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Habs-Addict/293450486615 on Twitter: http://twitter.com/HabsAddict on Hockeybuzz.com: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_archive.php?blogger_id=137

• dh says:

I thought the Pens were Canada’s team.  After all, with Crosby shouldn’t they be everyone’s team?

Seriously, being the underdog is just going to make it better when we win the cup.

• Puck Bard says:

Don’t look now but “Canada’s team” just got poned.

• habsfan0 says:

Well,we ALL know that most of what comes out of a politician’s mouth is a LIE anyways.

• andrewberkshire says:

True, but so many people on here are just looking for anyone who bashes Price to quote.

• Mr.Hazard says:

Five years later: you’re right. I didn’t mean it to come out so harshly.

“love cannot drown truth, Nefertiti”

• SeriousFan09 says:

Even if he dumped on Price though, so what?

Jacques Plante said he didn’t think Patrick Roy would make it to the NHL when he was invited to see Roy play in Junior.

• Kristopher7 says:

Exactly.

• andrewberkshire says:

But he didn’t dump on Price, that was my point. I respect Roy when it comes to goaltending.

• SeriousFan09 says:

I was just making the point that even if Roy had made remarks, what would it matter? Not every legend can see the star potential in the guys looking to make their way in the NHL.

• jbroderi says:

what a douche.  can i say that??

Listen, Canada has 6 teams, not one.  It doesn’t matter how many people like one team or if one team is more popular across the country.  We have 6 teams!!  5 to be proud of and then the leafs!!

I don’t think Montreal is Canada’s team, nor are the canucks.

it was an ignorant thing to say, especially with the habs still in the fight

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

• GP HABS FAN says:

I wonder if AK46 plays tomorrow or if Metro will get back in the lineup.  I personally hope that he sits the game out and I also hope he is explained to why he is sitting out, his poor choices with the puck recently have really been hurting the team and he needs to raise his compete level.

• habsfanmandy says:

This is a stupid comment from a stupid man. I mean, come on. Cheer for whichever team you want to, but if you’re a publicly elected official in CANADA you should not publicly cheer for one single team.

Couldn’t he like say, yay, Canada has TWO teams in the second round for a CHANGE, so be happy about THAT. Sheesh. Very disrespectful to all Habs players regardless of nationality.

Bring the Cup home Boys! I Will Always Believe

• Newf_Habster says:

I jsut tweeted at him: Ha Ha Ha Your “Canada’s team” lost! GO HABS GO!

• Danno says:

You can win cool Hockey Canada stuff just by visiting Dennis Kane’s Blog.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• andrewberkshire says:

Yeah that goal was huge, Boucher wasn’t ready for it at all, deep in his net, wicked shot though.

• Clay4bc says:

What I find funny is that despite out many disagreements, we see eye-to-eye on politics.

On another note…Lucic scores – HUGE goal late  in the third to break the tie,.

• punkster says:

Get a room you two ;)

• MontrealAtheist says:

Halak would have gotten this shot easily with his glove.

• andrewberkshire says:

It was pretty low and blocker side, so that would be a weird save, but I agree that Halak would have stopped it for sure.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Wow, are the Blackhawks falling apart or what?

No confidence and their D is terrible. Niemi’s a fraud, Hawks will be working the phones for a goalie this summer.

• MTLForever says:

they need a goalie badly

• Caper says:

LOL. Right on.

• Clay4bc says:

Why is it news that a dipsh*t from Vancouver is a Canucks fan? Mountains of molehills…

• andrewberkshire says:

What I find funny about it Clay, is that he thinks a team of Swedish stars represents his neo-conservative party because of the colour of their jerseys… So stupid.

• Ian Cobb says:

Dead on here to night.
    Everyone getting stocked up for tomorrow night.

I am not that interested in the games tonight.

• Caper says:

Philly and Boston is a good game Ian. Lots of hitting. Who ever comes out of this one will one beat up team. Good for us!

• Caper says:

Canada’s team? The Habs will solidify their status as such in June. Laff fans are jumping on the wagon here is South West Ontario. Gotta love Laff fans. No way in hell I would ever cheer for the Laffs.

• ABHabsfan says:

I hear ya about the Laff fans. I have some buddies who all tell me that they are cheering for the Habs in the play-offs then , remark that I would cheer for the Leafs if they were in and the Habs weren’t. In that case, when pigs fly incidently, I would still cheer for whoever the Leafs are playing. Just the way it is. Unless they are playing the Bruins or Flyers then I would just go play golf or watch the world championships.

• 11habs11 says:

lol, pretty sure if you’re a laffs/habs fan that would cheer for the other team, you’re not a true hockey fan.

i live in newfoundland and strangely, you can tell when someone is not a true fan when they cheer for the wings – every wings fan here it seems doesn’t care at all about the team

• badbalance says:

I guess its more fun to watch the Pens boardhug all fukin game

• Bugs says:

Sidney joins Ovie to bash our system. They call us a BORING team. What’s with all the jabs? We shouldn’t get hated on just because we’re beautiful.

“No room to skate, no shots to fire, no goals to score, no momentum to gather and no fun for anybody except Habs fans.”

Smurf power, Sid.

Choke on it.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

• avatar_58 says:

Oh you silly wabbit

• Bugs says:

Brilliant, Slovie!

Superfluously redundant, I remain

• SlovakHab says:

Halak update

B.Burke is building the Bruins through the draft.

• Habs_Juve says:

That was GREAT, awesome find!

MD

• Les Habitants says:

Have this bum fired and trown in jail!

The last time the leafs won the cup it was still just a bowl!!

• joeybarrie says:

No offense to the Vancouver Canucks but how is it possible that a team who hasnt even won the Cup, the TEAM for all of CANADA. Next I will hear The Yankees are not America’s but the California Angels or something. How is it possible this guy has a Honourable in front of his name. What a boob. I mean Im proud, but smart enough not to single out one team to root for, when more than half the league is Canadian.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• Big Bird says:

I don’t have the time or energy for someone who was part of the Canadian/Alliance and is a right-winger but he can say Vancouver is Canada’s team all he wants.

The Canucks have 2 Western Conference banners.  We have 24 Stanley Cup banners.

And if you want to compare similar timelines since the Canucks jointed the NHL….they have 2 Western Conference banners and we have 8 Stanley Cup banners.  Enough said.  Next article please.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Only kind of banner that counts is the Stanley Cup Banner, the rest are for the pretenders.

• DearyLeary says:

Well, lets see who’s barn is louder in game 3… shall we?

• GrimJim says:

Hmmm….. maybe there really is an anti-Habs conspiracy

• GrimJim says:

Another reason for Don Cherry to vote Conservative ;-)

• homerbowen says:

Forget it they’re all on “Big time weed” out there anyway…not sure what day it is let alone who is Canada’s team.

• nick says:

MTL’s got better weed, and a better hockey team.

It’s all Canadian. Why bother making the distinction… ?

• Danno says:

In BC they smoke weed. In Montreal we smoke meat.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• dudurules says:

Who cares!  GO HABS GO!

• Sbah Reverof says:

Um…ahem…I, uh…geez this is awkward…

“I respect your opinion, but you’re completely wrong!”

• forskis says:

Saying the Canucks are Canada’s Team is no big deal since the Minister is FROM the area…what bugs me is that he added the fact the Canuck’s uniform colors of Blue and Green are the same colors as the “old” Canadian Alliance Party was what made them more Canada’s Team than anything else.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

• SeriousFan09 says:

Heritage Ministry is what they give a Minister who they can’t trust with real responsibilities, even in an government that is entirely run from the PM”s office, I’m surprised this guy’s allowed to Twitter without a script.

• hipster says:

James WHO!?!

GO HABS GO!

• nHL80 says:

James JAgr?  i thought we were talking about James Jagr

• WAR72 says:

whatever…

hab fans hijack arenas from right coast to left, usa included…

you would be lucky to see one or two nuck jerseys at a habs home game.

go habs go!

• Storm Man says:

Montreal has the better fans, the better team, better looking women. I could go on all night on what Montreal is better for then Vancouver but the best weed in the world is from BC and I dont smoke it but it sure smells good :)

• boris420 says:

Thats kind of very hypocritical to say considering you don’t smoke. I like the smell of certain cigars…hate the taste tho. Honestly coming from someone who has lived in both cities their weed is not better than ours!

• Storm Man says:

I guess High Times Magazine has no clue what the best weed in the world is.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Actually we smoke weed here too.

• SeriousFan09 says:

We smoke a lot of things around here, weed, meat, overrated President’s Trophy Teams…

• HugeHabsFan says:

hee hee! good one SF!

• tamzarien says:

That comment is doubtful at best.

• Bill J says:

Heritage THIS! :P

• cautiousoptimist says:

How can anyone not love this guy?

“Subban’s workload has increased with each game, but he said he’s not
    concerned with ice time. ‘I just go out and do the job,’ he said. ‘If
    I get two minutes, I’ll play two; if I get 20, I’ll play 20. If they
    want me to fill the water bottles, I’ll fill the water bottles.’”

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  • ZepFan2 says:

On another note…I hear Cammy has nicknamed PK, ‘Primetime’.

Not sure if I like it, as I can’t stand Deion Sanders.

———————————————————–

Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.”
    - Sam Pollock

• Bill J says:

I’m more concerned with “some” fans who read too much into nicknames (see Price being called Superstar by his teammates, and these fans assuming it was a sarcastic nickname)

• ZimHabwe says:

In Massachusetts this year Martha Coakley (a democrat) ran against an unknown for Ted Kennedy’s seat in the senate. As a politician she underestimated the fact that people are more attached to their teams than they are to their politicians by stating that Curt Schilling was a Yankees fan. Big mistake! Worst thing to say in Red Sox nation. To disrespect a sports team when you’re a politician is like saying “I want my party to lose votes”. And lose they did to the pretty boy senator Brown.What she did was sacrilegious.

I won’t get into politics now but I will say if there was an election held today…………

Well you know the rest.

It’s not like I liked them anyways.

ps….. To be fair, he is from BC and I guess naturally he’s inclined to favor them.

• light_n_tasty says:

Not really sure that too many Habs fans vote for the Conservatives in the first place so…this doesn’t really change anything…

• ZepFan2 says:

Bah, you know what they say about some fans, eh…———————————————————-

Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.”
    - Sam Pollock

• Mr.Hazard says:

PATRICK ROY ON OTR: Discusses Price & Halak on TSN. Says he was very impressed with how Halak came back in Game 5 of the WSH series. He says he would have been rattled if they started Price instead of him the game before. About Price: “He had his chance”.

SEE VIDEO SIDEBAR

“love cannot drown truth, Nefertiti”

• andrewberkshire says:

That’s actually not at all what he said about Price, he said Price has had his chances this year. The way you put it makes it seem final, which it isn’t.

• Harditya_CareyPrice says:

That was a darn good interview – Agreed with everything he said.

• ZimHabwe says:

True. Very true.  But the point I’m really trying to make is that as a politician you need to find the right language or else the little bit of support you might have had will immediately be lost over things so passionate as sports teams.

You’d think that was an obvious statement but sadly it isn’t.

• light_n_tasty says:

I guess you’re right.  I mean, Harper did appoint Jacques Demers to the Senate, just to get some Habs fans votes in QC…maybe Moore basically nullified that move.

• dudurules says:

Um…ahem…I, uh…geez this is awkward…

“stop copying me” !

• SeriousFan09 says:

That’s not making a run of it, that’s just having a different guy in nets to get shelled while the team got swept.

Also, Price was in nets for the 3-1 victory in Dallas. Get your facts straight and Carbonneau proved not to be a man who could run the Canadiens bench, or was up to coaching at a high level yet, he led the Canadiens under-18 team to their first relegation round in about forever.

Boxscore to the game.

I just don’t think he was ready to really handle coaching long-term, you look at some coaches, they don’t last long because their style just isn’t suited to handling a team over a longer period. I think also at this point, almost everyone agree the 07-08 team was a bit of a mirage in terms of what they did, overachievement more than playing to their true level.

He should look into Junior coaching for his next gig if he can get one after the Under-18 series. He needs to work from the bottom up this time around.

• andrewberkshire says:

Actually, Gainey’s record was pretty good until Markov went down and the team gave up. And the team never lost 12 straight, where the hell did you get that from?

• SeriousFan09 says:

You are aware of what this team’s record is without their MVP player Markov post-lockout? It’s basically a lottery position squad. Fortunately, we now have the excellent young prospect P.K. Subban to boost our team and change our fortunes somewhat.

• Bob Barker says:

Yeah, I guess you could consider firing Julien to replace him with Carbonneau a blunder. I don’t understand all the Gainey hate though. He wasn’t the best GM but he was one of the better one’s the Habs have had in a long time. You can list all his missteps but I think in the end, the positive outweighs the negative.

If you can honestly say you like the roster that Gainey inherited better than the one he left, you’re either a Constanza-level liar or you don’t know sh-t about hockey.

For all the Price/Halak debate, both were brought into the organization by Gainey. He might have favoured Price, but I doubt he was telling Martin who to play this year, that’s for sure.

Cammy/Gio/Gomez are much more fun to watch than Kovalev hog the puck, try to beat the same guy ten times and lazily backcheck if he loses it.

Subban looks to be a future all-star and potential franchise defenseman.

I’ll take Cammy and Gio over Donald Audette and Andreas Dackell any day. Just thinking about the team in the late 90s early 2000s makes me throw-up a bit in my mouth.

• light_n_tasty says:

I wouldn’t call 07-08 a “mirage”…just incredibly lucky injury-wise.

• pmaraw says:

my brother the true blue leafs fan, is cheering for the habs.

• Danno says:

The only good Tory is a supposi-tory

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• pmaraw says:

LOL  if you say so >.>

• The Cat says:

Lookout for the bruins.

• W35T5ID3 says:

ooooo the big bad bruins…..oooo…..they r nothing compared to our formidable playoff juggernaut!

• Puck Bard says:

The beans are playing a challenged and particularly crappy version of the Flyers. No fear.

• RetroMikey says:

We are Canada’s team.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Izzy says:

I was surprised to see that Rene Rancourt was still alive……but after hearing him sing….I’m not so sure..

• andrewberkshire says:

Another lie, but you seem to love doing that.

• SlovakHab says:

Please please guys, no more Price vs Halak talk. I am so sick of it. Let’s like them both and let’s enjoy the postseason.

I’m frequently visiting other teams’ blogs and websites, but I’ve never seen so many fans arguing about their own team. Are we really this bad? Pretty disappointing.