Here’s your mask, what’s your hurry?

Red Fisher on the Hawks walking away from a Stanley Cup-winning goaltender

* James Mirtle: Hawks pay the price of success

• A story on the league’s web site lists Montreal as a possible destination for Antti Niemi.

• ESPN Chicago on the Turco signing

Seguin signs

Brian Gionta highlight reel (warning: crap music)

• Another hard name to spell in at least six game stories: Buffalo signs Shaone Morrisonn

Sabres waive Tim Kennedy

Mike Modano to join the Wings

Updated FA list

• THN’s Ken Campbell on the great Nicklas Lidstrom

Obama will attend a Caps game

• HabsWatch has done an exhaustive study, Crisis in the Q

1. TomNickle says:

Yep, he loved the city and team so much that he requested to be traded, twice.

Heed your own advice James.

2. Storm Man says:

You would know as a child what happens when you play with dynamite.

3. TomNickle says:

I didn’t bring it up or even join the conversation until you came on with your usual compost.  Cammalleri is doing just fine for the time he has to put into learning the language.

I’m of the opinion that the captain shouldn’t have to speak french and any failure to do so shouldn’t be seen as a lack of commitment or caring on their part.  However, I do believe that the General Manager should be fluent or close to it in French or at least have an assistant general manager who is.

Other than that.  All I said was that Cammalleri is learning French and you took that and somehow tried to turn it into me spewing uneducated drivel.  But the fact remains that the only point I made was true.

So yet again you reach for your usual attacks and come up empty.

But then again, I suppose if you repeat your behaviour you’re showing your commitment to being a complete asshole and a desire to stick to it beyond realizing any sense of tact or humanity.

You are the bottom of the barrel when it comes to people in general.  I say that because the only person you show any respect is yourself and you consistently make other people’s words part of your own agenda.

So, with that in mind, go find the rock you crawled out from underneath and hit yourself in the head with it until you snap out of this elitist mentality.

Oh, and tell Clay I said hello.

4. Caper says:

Word is his wife renewed her gym membership in Minnesota. Saw this on if I recall correctly.

5. Storm Man says:

Ignorant is your family name tornapart. You nothing more then a parasite who talks out of his butt hole. Im glad to see my tax dollers gives you some free computer time today.

6. ZepFan2 says:

Glad to see the correctional officers gave you some computer time this week James…

Don’t you mean Nurse Ratchêtte?! He is in Pinel, right? 😉

– Steven Tyler

7. ManApart says:

Cammy doesn’t know French beyond a few words or phrases, so stop your usual falsehoods. Good on him for trying a little though. It doesn’t change my point that it is wrong to say, if you don’t learn French, you “don’t care”. That is so ignorant, I can’t tell you. Can’t say it’s a big surprise it is you two geniuses who brought that garbage to this forum. Wake Up and stick to not knowing what you are talking about hockey wise. Stay away from language politics. It’s like giving a child a stick of dynamite to play with.

8. ManApart says:

Just as ignorant and idiotic as storm girl.  Ed responded to storm girl’s comment, saying that Halak didn’t care about the team or city because he didn’t learn French. Well Ed said that statement was bs, because a guy like Saku didn’t learn either, and he certainly cared about the team and city. Always the same posters who open their yaps, without thinking. Smarten up before you post.

9. TomNickle says:

Cammalleri is learning French and getting pretty good at it.

Glad to see the correctional officers gave you some computer time this week James.

10. Fire_Laraque says:

It happens in everyday’s life yes.  Bouillon’s another example of how management and the doctors blew it. :)

11. ManApart says:

Most ignorant comment of the day. Big surprise, it’s storm girl. Trying to lablel a guy as ” not caring” because he didn’t learn French is PQ bs. You are not a very insightful nor a particularly bright individual, but I am still surprised you picked up on the French extremist attitude and ran with their ideal. Guess everybody in history who never learned the language doesn’t care about being part of the city and team, including Gio or Cammy or Price or Markov or Pleks or Koivu or going back to guys like Muller and Keane.

12. adam76 says:

Odd – no clips form 2010.  I wonder why that is?

13. Mattyleg says:

Ha! Touché.

But the arbitration intention was always there.

Kinda bugged me.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

14. ZepFan2 says:

That’s the problem. I fractured mine. Basically shattered a lot of bone. It was a real mess.

Now I know what a hoffman is. lol

I seen a few people wearing them while waiting to see Harvey…I mean a resident.

– Steven Tyler

15. PeterStone says:

2001 .. wow , mine was either end of 2000 or start of 01 .  The wrist is complex … so many small bones in there too.  I have heard horror stories about breaking the smaller bones in there .. i was lucky I guess, i broke the big ones.

google hoffman and wrist, you’ll see.

16. ZepFan2 says:

Beleive it or not, this happened in 2001.

The worst part is, it’s my right wrist and i’m right handed.

I’m not familliar as to what the hoffman is.

– Steven Tyler

17. TomNickle says:

Desmond Howard, Reggie White, Dorsey Levens, Edgar Bennett, Antonio Freeman, Andre Rison, Mark Chmura, Don Beebe and many others like Doug Evans, Craig Newsome, Leroy Butler, Gilbert(grave digger) Brown.  Earl Dotson was a pretty good player too.

Favre sure played well that season but I also remember plays like his interception to the Eagles in overtime of the divisional round the year the Patriots beat the Panthers in the Superbowl.  Green Bay was a heavy favourite to win the Superbowl at that point in the playoffs and Favre did nothing but chuck it up to Javon Walker for three quarters into double and triple coverages.

I remember him making a dumbass throw against the Giants in overtime that Corey Webster was ALL OVER.

I remember him doing the same thing with the Vikings last year when Tracy Porter(SAINTS PLAYOFF MVP, IMO) caught that gimmie in overtime.  Funny how the playoff overtime rules get changed after Favre loses again in overtime to a field goal.

Funny thing about those three loses were that the Packers defense took the blame for allowing McNabb to connect with Freddie Mitchell on a 4th and 26th(deservedly) but Favre somehow escaped blame for that loss.

Mike McCarthy got some serious blame for not giving Al Harris any help over the top against Plaxico Burress in the NFC Championship game when the Giants won the superbowl.  Sure, Plaxico was hurting them, but Favre threw the game away again.(That time he did take his share of the blame).

Last year Bernard Berrian, Percy Harvin and Adrian Peterson take the blame because they fumbled at one point in the game.  Nevermind that favre botched a handoff to Peterson late in the first half or that he should’ve had the brains to check off to the run late in the fourth quarter when they had the chance get one of the most accurate kickers in league history a makeable field goal.

I’m ranting now but I’m sure you see my point.  He never takes the blame for the loss even though it’s the quarterback’s job to be a leader.

To be honest with you Tim.  I wanted him out of Green Bay the second McCarthy took over as coach.  It was time for Green Bay to be about the Packers again, and not about Favre.

I will say that if I were a Viking fan, I wouldn’t want a superbowl win with Favre as my quarterback.  Tarkenton is on the money with that one.

18. PeterStone says:

ouch.  you’re lucky to be alive.  when did this happen ?

well, the thing I will say to you is that, as you know, Dr Harvey is an incredible doctor.  Like I mentioned, I busted a 1 sq.inch are of my wrist in 26 pcs.  I also fractured the radius, tore a tendon which was re-attached had 13 pins and the hoffman.  My wrist isnt like new, but, considering, its pretty darn good.  The human body is an incredible machine, and its ability to repair itself is a miracle all to itself.  With Dr Harveys help I suspect you will look back in a couple of years and be as surprised as I was.

Best of Luck !

19. TomNickle says:

Ed, you just compared a goaltender who didn’t want to be a member of this team to a one of the most tenured captains in Habs history.

That’s how far out of control this love affair for Halak is.(not saying it’s just you)

20. Storm Man says:

But he did win your team a superbowl 1997 :) I understand your feelings when it comes to him Im sure your not the only one.

21. HabsFanInTampa says:

Well said, Ian. It’s 2010 and we’re STILL debating this language (non)issue. C’mon Quebecers, let it go already!

22. JIMVINNY says:

Ryder never actually went to arbitration.  He elected to ask for it, but a contract always got signed before the hearing happened.  His relationship with management wasn’t the problem, it was his relationship with the puck.  It went real bad, real fast.

23. TomNickle says:

I’m not gonna jump all over you here Tim but you’re talking to a guy who’s followed his career since his first days as a Falcon.

The guy needs to be a hero and he needs the spotlight.  He needs people to be focused on the injuries that he “overcomes” so that they aren’t focused on things like him not speaking to his fellow quarterbacks or falling asleep in team meetings.

Everybody in the league has injuries, and sure they’re more difficult to overcome as players get older.  But in Favre’s case, he’s been doing this since the age of 32, it didn’t just start in the 2010 NFC Championship game.

He makes huge mistakes late in games that cost his team Superbowls and then chalks it up to his injuries while his teammates take their lumps from the media and don’t speak a word of what’s going on at the trainer’s room and doctors office.

Brett Favre the player was great, Brett Favre the person is a lot of other things.  I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t suit up for the Thursday night opener against the Saints.

24. Storm Man says:

Im on the fence when it comes to what is going on in Favres head. If his ankle is not 100 percent I can see him taking his time. It would be a shock if his never plays a down this year.

25. TomNickle says:

Favre told teammates last night according to Jay Glazer that he wasn’t coming back.

It’s total crap as usual.  He won’t retire until Peyton Manning misses a game and leaves him one record other than the interception mark to keep in his name.

To play the game at this level, you cannot get a penalty for speaking or not speaking a certain language.! Unless I missed something in the rule book?

Narrow minded people never see the bigger picture.! Saku is a great ambassador for the game and each city that he has ever plays in. My blog

27. ZepFan2 says:

I was hit by a van while I was walking on the sidewalk.

My wrist hit the moving van fracturing it. Then I fell back and used my already damaged hand to break the fall and caused even more damage.

I’ve had 2 scopes and a partial fusion on one side with another to come.

My wrist movement is minimal, it’s the pain that’s the killer.

– Steven Tyler

28. RiverviewCanadien says:

Seriously Andrew? Not a fan of one of the most influential bands from the past 2 decades…I am disappointed.

29. Storm Man says:

I think it would be great if Price walked in wearing a cowboy hat and boots and sat down at the heritage classic press conference and said I have signed a contract with the Habs on Wednesday.

30. Mattyleg says:

Blah blah “Montreal’s incompetent managem…”

—Hope Springs Eternal—

31. Storm Man says:

Number 11 is and always will be a class act, My post had nothing to do about him BTW.

32. Rudy says:

100% agree. This is to keep the media at bay for a few extra weeks

33. Mark C says:

It was an interesting story. But, knowing your thoughts on management, and reading in between the lines. I get the impression you blame Montreal management for a missed diagnosis, which happens, shoulder injuries are tricky sometimes. Do you know if Mara got both an MRI and CT? I don’t know what a young doctor has to do with it, there are some great young doctors out there.

I don’t know how Montreal management “blew the Mara file” before getting injured he was playing on par this his recent history. Don’t think Montreal management was expecting 2005-06 Mara, just a steady, hardnosed D-man, who could bring a strong physical element. That’s what one expects to get when they pay $1.9M for a veteran D.

34. Thomas Le Fan says:

Conversely, Halak will repeat his heroics because you say so? You should patent that crystal ball, of yours.

35. Thomas Le Fan says:

Well okay, since you know how this turns out already, I won’t argue. Seeing as my crystal ball is not working, like I said, I’ll have to wait and see. Go Habs! Or not, eh?

36. mike g says:

Well the author spoke about that theory…

And I agree with him. He reminded us that once EDM failed tog et Vanek, they signed Penner to an offer-sheet right away. And comparing Vanek and Penner’s performances from the past few years, there’s not much of a difference. So Vanek wouldn’t have had too much more of an impact, and probably not enough to get them out of the basement last year.

All in all there are always question marks. But the main point of this article was to show what a total bust Vanek has been, and how the Sabres management totally missed the boat. Very few players are worth FOUR 1st round picks, very few….Especially in the salary cap world, where teams love young studs who cost 3 peanuts on the cap.

Buffalo lost out big time on that deal.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

37. SlovakHab says:

Still, four 1st rounders are four 1st rounders.. Buffalo would have been way better off right now. Vanek isn’t really a superstar.. And we saw how Kessel didn’t help the Leafs not to give the Bruins a high pick.

However, I can’t imagine any management that would have had the balls to lose Vanek after Drury and Briere..

38. ed lopaz says:

it has been argued that because Saku’s wife speaks French, there was even more reason for Saku to learn french.

I couldn’t care less about whether Saku spoke french, by the way.

Saku was still Saku to me – always will be a hero for his on and off ice accomplishments.

39. SeriousFan09 says:

Koivu spoke Finnish, Swedish and English, he wasn’t that proficient in French but he spoke two more languages fluently than the average North American and he knew a 4th, but was not that comfortable in speaking it.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

40. ed lopaz says:

interesting post Mark.

the point of the story was simply to relay the facts.

but if you want to suggest that habs management blew the mara file, i won’t disagree with you.

after all, I was not the one who signed Mara.

Gainey did.

41. andrewberkshire says:

Green Day? BLECH!!

42. Thomas Le Fan says:

Only a little, unfortunately. Getting (mis)treated by a doctor is not limited to the rich (athletes). Isn’t that the essence of socialized medicine? If our second tier (the US system) is eliminated. Bingo!

43. observer says:

many people have a hard time learning how to speak french after they are grown-ups.

44. SlovakHab says:

I stopped paying attention to it.. I am a fan that loves this team and tries to look at the positive side. May not agree with everything the management does, but bashing them endlessly before seeing the actual results – not my style. Many of the people on HI/O are like this, but I already got used to that.

45. TorontoHabsFan says:

Upon further reflection, I think you’re right. Rosen also suggests that Atlanta (with Pavelec and Mason), Dallas (with Lehtonen), and Washington (with Varlamov and Neuwirth) as potential destinations for Niemi.

Seems a little too random for there to be any inside information backing these assertions.

46. Storm Man says:

Where did you read this? If his ankle is not healed he may have to give it up but till he comes out and says Im done one never knows with him.

47. mike g says:

That wasn’t a riot…

That was a few people causing minimal damage. I wasn’t there, but the media just blew up the whole thing. Apart from a few acts of theft and damages, not much else happened.

When this city and it’s faithful want to throw a party or go crazy, we know how to go crazy. All I meant with the statement you cited was that if we would have refused FOUR 1st round picks for a player like Vanek, and seen how Vanek has played since then, we’d be so pissed at the Habs management.

You think people can’t stand PG and BG now, Oh boy it would  be mayhem if we would have refused a trade that would have sent us Taylor Hall.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

48. Curtoph says:

Someone doesn’t like the fan made videos!

49. Storm Man says:

His wife is french lame comeback.

50. observer says:

maybe a cap on owners profits which should be equally shared with players? r do you only believe in communism for players and capitalism for owners?

51. Curtoph says:

But would Edmonton suck as much with Tomas Vanek? Thats the real question Mr. G, if Tomas Vanek made Edmonton better, then those 10th overall picks might of been higher and of lesser value. Edmonton would probably of strucutred their team more around Mr. Vanek and therefore things would not work out the way they did. It could have, but probably not.

52. HabFanSince72 says:

No, players who go to arbitration are after fair market value for their skill.

The Hawks offered Niemi $1.5M.

Don’t tell me that is fair market value for a young cup winner.

53. Mattyleg says:

Yep, like I said, it creates bad blood. Look at Michael Ryder’s relationship with management after he went TWICE to arbitration.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

54. PeterStone says:

most are … i had the hoffman on my wrist ,  what happened to you ?

55. ed lopaz says:

guess Saku never cared much about being part of the team or the city either???

56. Mark C says:

Montreal’s incompetent management has now seeped down to the Doctor level. I’m starting to feel like Chicken Little.

57. ZepFan2 says:

Well he could have lied because he’s pissed at Habs management for trading Halak. lol

– Steven Tyler

58. observer says:

Favre is not returning? Believe it or not?

59. RGM says:

I’ve loved this team for close to 30 years now. Cripes I’m getting old.

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

60. Mattyleg says:

I ask myself the same question, dude.

Then again, there is a huge proportion of people who are not happy unless they are complaining. Ask anyone in the service industry.

And I’m sure you’ll get lots of responses in which people try to justify their moaning negativity. But it’s just all hot air, as far as I’m concerned.

It’s depressing, but I’m glad it’s not me!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

61. Curtoph says:

There is no story with interest in Niemi, it was simply listing teams who might need a goalie. Montreal was on the list only because they thought it was a good thing to say Price hasn’t been the #1 goalie yet or some thing like that.

62. HabFanSince72 says:

in MTL we’d be burning up the city.

Didn’t we burn up the city after winning like game 6 against the Caps?

63. Storm Man says:

Im happy to hear Eller is taking french lessons shows he want to be a big part of the team and the city. It is funny to me that the H-Word never took french lessons hmmmmmm guess he did not care as much about been part of the city and team as some what to think so he got what he wanted in the end.

64. mike g says:

Hey, I never said it’s the best story ever published…

All I said was it’s a nice take on a given situation. With a few of my friends, we’ve been talking about Vanek lately, and how he’s been nothing close to that incredible sophmore performance. His 7 million dollar salary for 7 years is totally rediculous, and there’s no sign of him ever playing up to the contract.

So all I’m saying is that it’s pretty crazy that the Sabres refused FOUR 1st round picks for this guy. Someone in the Sabres organization must have really loved, or still love, Vanek.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

65. ed lopaz says:

I believe its a true story – the source had no reason to lie.

66. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I’m pretty sure Price and PG have a contract already worked out and ready for ink.  Price is on vacation,  he doesn’t want to spend his day’s doing interviewes with every hack Quebec journalist and other media outlets,  he wants to relax and do some off ice training.  As Hickey eluded to they will announce the signing shortly before the golf tournie and Carey will face the media.  People need to chill.

67. sanj91 says:

I’d be really interested to see some statistics on how many players who opt for arbitration actually end up staying with that team long term. My guess would be that most bolt after the one or two year arbitration contract…

“When a homeless guy knows his hockey, you know you’re in Montreal” – Hal Gill

68. ZepFan2 says:

Yup, that he is.

Unfortunately, my (wrist) is not as salvageable.

– Steven Tyler

69. G-Man says:

When Gomez was traded for, the future captain arrived. Having him wait a year was kind of lame, but…

70. TorontoHabsFan says:

I like the likely fake story about the Habs having interest in Niemi. A subtle reminder to Price’s agent that there are other options available. Like Niemi, and *cough* Theodore. It has the potential to drive down Price’s salary or shift towards a term that’s more favourable for management.

71. punkster says:

Come on Mike, that’s nothing but a “if pigs had wings” article submitted by a writer facing a deadline with nothing substantial to show for his 3 week holiday. You could likely make up one of these for every contract signing or trade ever made in NHL history. Entertainment for sure, hockey analysis not so much.

72. Mr-T says:

I am sure there are a lot of indigent people that are sympathetic that you have to work under such deplorable conditions for “minimum wage”. If they could only be so fortunate.

Support Carey Price      “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”