Here’s your mask, what’s your hurry?

Red Fisher on the Hawks walking away from a Stanley Cup-winning goaltender

* James Mirtle: Hawks pay the price of success

• A story on the league’s web site lists Montreal as a possible destination for Antti Niemi.

• ESPN Chicago on the Turco signing

Seguin signs

Brian Gionta highlight reel (warning: crap music)

yocGJKaGKf4

• Another hard name to spell in at least six game stories: Buffalo signs Shaone Morrisonn

Sabres waive Tim Kennedy

Mike Modano to join the Wings

Updated FA list

• THN’s Ken Campbell on the great Nicklas Lidstrom

Obama will attend a Caps game

• HabsWatch has done an exhaustive study, Crisis in the Q

1. Number31 says:

Red must have been watching a different Stanley Cup final. It definitely wasn’t a goalie duel…

Hawks did want to keep him, though. They tried to work out a deal before arbitration and for the long term but for whatever reason it didn’t happen. Now they got Turks, and Crawford coming through their system who’s capable of doing the same job for cheap. As a big Turco fan I know his best days are behind him, however maybe this might excite him enough to inspire his play.

It’s business, Mr. Fisher. This isn’t the same League anymore.

2. TomNickle says:

You said, within the last 6 weeks, that I needed a psychologist to help me work through some obvious issues.

You felt prompted to say this based on a disagreement we were having about hockey.

I think if you want to discuss somebody full of hot air, the mirror would be the first place to find a case study.

If you were in any kind of position to rationally evaluate somebody’s mental state, you wouldn’t do it through a computer, having never met the person you’re analyzing.

Second, attacking my mental stability in an effort to give your own argument substance only speaks to the weakness of your argument from the get go.

That’s how desperate you are to be correct.  But I’m full of hot air, yeah.

3. TomNickle says:

You’re so out of sorts that you don’t know what you’re saying anymore.

You called BS on me, but I was agreeing with you, in a less steaming way.

Yet you felt the need to insult me, degrade my mentality and it never ends with you.

You’re garbage, trash, worthless and much more.

Do you attack your family and friends the way you attack strangers that don’t agree with you?

Tim’s point, behind all of this argumentative crap, was that not learning the language is a lack of caring on the part of the captain or any potential captain.  That’s his opinion.  I disagree with it, but I don’t feel the need to call everything he’s ever said BS or crap.  I don’t say he’s ignorant, uneducated or otherwise less knowledgeable than I am.

You, for some reason do this with everyone you disagree with.  Everyone.  This isn’t a case of Storm Man or Tom Nickle, this is everyone James.  Your refusal to see that only speaks to your lack of reason or rationality.

Have a good one.

4. ZepFan2 says:

I’d listen to FallApart. He knows a thing or two about spouting “hot air” as he does it on a regular basis.

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

5. ManApart says:

I’m not seeing BS? So the original point storm girl was making, that started all this, has some validity? Get real for once in your confused life. Maybe my harsh way of calling people out is getting in the way of people understanding what I am really saying. Whatever, I made my point, I’m sure others get what i’m saying. I would usually be more civil, but storm girl is a special case.

6. TomNickle says:

TSN and Sportsnet, along with several individuals with little media affiliation reported that Halak requested a trade at the conclusion of the playoffs yet again.

A monkey?  Really speaks volumes about your ability to judge players based on their merits.  An example.  You say that I spew uneducated bs, yet in my desire for Roman Hamrlik to be moved out of Montreal on the first thing smoking I’ve never referred to him in such a demeaning way.

Halak got 79 starts in the last two seasons, please tell me how that resembles a refusal by coaching staff and management to play him.

No, he didn’t do what anyone in his position would.  Carey Price didn’t do it when he was relegated to the bench and watched Halak stink the joint out in his last three regular season games and two of his first three playoff starts.

Took three years to do it?  And what exactly had he proven in his first 22 career starts?

Yeah, people who weren’t ready to call him the next Roy are the irrational ones.

7. Storm Man says:

Go lay by your dish. Talking with you is like talking to a dog.

8. K-hab25 says:

You must call yourself alot!!

9. Storm Man says:

You must be the arithmetic man, You add trouble, subtract pleasure, divide attention, and multiply ignorance. Manparts I would keep going but I have better things to do with my time, Thanks for coming out better luck next time.

10. ManApart says:

Funny how you talk about everything but the issue that I originally was commenting on. Your ignorant statement. Nothing to say on that, because it’s garbage. I didn’t expect you would say anything , just felt like calling you out on it anyways.

11. ManApart says:

Not sure what you are talking about. All I know is his agent saying give the guy a chance at playing or move him to a team that will. Who can blame him. A monkey was stinking up the joint in goal most nights for months on end and management wouldn’t give him a chance to prove himself one way or another, even though he was outplaying said monkey. When he finally got his wish, he showed how wrong dummy management was the whole time and proved his point. He did what anyone would do in his position, I’m actually  surprised it took like 3 years to do it. It was getting pretty ridiculous by last December.

12. TomNickle says:

You aren’t seeing BS James.

You’re so ridiculous that you don’t even know how to agree with anyone anymore and your attempts and conceding any kind of ill will result in creating more of it.

You thinking something is BS is only your opinion at the end of the day and claiming that everything you say is truth or every retort you have is fact is garbage.

You can poke holes in the arguments of others without being a complete jerk. It’s something I’ve tried to learn over the years and I’m admittedly not great at it but I try at the very least.

At this point you aren’t even acting human. Just a robot that attacks everything that everyone he doesn’t like says.

13. Storm Man says:

You must call yourself out alot 23 hours a day.

14. Storm Man says:

The name manapart how did you come up with that? could it be from a action movie with Vin Diesel in it. and you always have pics of guys up. What is next the rainbow flag. It is all good to love and crush on the people that you do but don’t be mad at others as we don’t think the sameway as you do. You Talk about thinking before you post time for you to use some of your great smarts you keep talking about.

15. ManApart says:

Whatever man. You seemed to be supporting Girl Storm’s statement from were I stood, Maybe I associate you two guys together too automatically, because you both know so little about what you are talking about most of the time. A lot of hot air. You say you didn’t agree with his ignorance on this issue, so good enough. As for your other nonsense on me, all I can say is I don’t have a high tolerance towards ignorance and idiocy. It may be in a rough manner, but when I see bs, I call someone on it.

16. TomNickle says:

Yeah I saw it too.

He’ll play again. Like I said above.  He’ll play until Peyton Manning misses a game.

Peyton is the only threat to his consecutive games played streak.  Once Manning misses a start, Favre will hang it up the following off-season.

17. TomNickle says:

Yep, he loved the city and team so much that he requested to be traded, twice.

Heed your own advice James.

18. Storm Man says:

You would know as a child what happens when you play with dynamite.

19. TomNickle says:

I didn’t bring it up or even join the conversation until you came on with your usual compost.  Cammalleri is doing just fine for the time he has to put into learning the language.

I’m of the opinion that the captain shouldn’t have to speak french and any failure to do so shouldn’t be seen as a lack of commitment or caring on their part.  However, I do believe that the General Manager should be fluent or close to it in French or at least have an assistant general manager who is.

Other than that.  All I said was that Cammalleri is learning French and you took that and somehow tried to turn it into me spewing uneducated drivel.  But the fact remains that the only point I made was true.

So yet again you reach for your usual attacks and come up empty.

But then again, I suppose if you repeat your behaviour you’re showing your commitment to being a complete asshole and a desire to stick to it beyond realizing any sense of tact or humanity.

You are the bottom of the barrel when it comes to people in general.  I say that because the only person you show any respect is yourself and you consistently make other people’s words part of your own agenda.

So, with that in mind, go find the rock you crawled out from underneath and hit yourself in the head with it until you snap out of this elitist mentality.

Oh, and tell Clay I said hello.

20. Caper says:

Word is his wife renewed her gym membership in Minnesota. Saw this on Si.com if I recall correctly.

21. Storm Man says:

Ignorant is your family name tornapart. You nothing more then a parasite who talks out of his butt hole. Im glad to see my tax dollers gives you some free computer time today.

22. ZepFan2 says:

Glad to see the correctional officers gave you some computer time this week James…

Don’t you mean Nurse Ratchêtte?! He is in Pinel, right? ;)

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

23. ManApart says:

Cammy doesn’t know French beyond a few words or phrases, so stop your usual falsehoods. Good on him for trying a little though. It doesn’t change my point that it is wrong to say, if you don’t learn French, you “don’t care”. That is so ignorant, I can’t tell you. Can’t say it’s a big surprise it is you two geniuses who brought that garbage to this forum. Wake Up and stick to not knowing what you are talking about hockey wise. Stay away from language politics. It’s like giving a child a stick of dynamite to play with.

24. ManApart says:

Just as ignorant and idiotic as storm girl.  Ed responded to storm girl’s comment, saying that Halak didn’t care about the team or city because he didn’t learn French. Well Ed said that statement was bs, because a guy like Saku didn’t learn either, and he certainly cared about the team and city. Always the same posters who open their yaps, without thinking. Smarten up before you post.

25. TomNickle says:

Cammalleri is learning French and getting pretty good at it.

Glad to see the correctional officers gave you some computer time this week James.

26. Fire_Laraque says:

It happens in everyday’s life yes.  Bouillon’s another example of how management and the doctors blew it. :)

27. ManApart says:

Most ignorant comment of the day. Big surprise, it’s storm girl. Trying to lablel a guy as ” not caring” because he didn’t learn French is PQ bs. You are not a very insightful nor a particularly bright individual, but I am still surprised you picked up on the French extremist attitude and ran with their ideal. Guess everybody in history who never learned the language doesn’t care about being part of the city and team, including Gio or Cammy or Price or Markov or Pleks or Koivu or going back to guys like Muller and Keane.

28. adam76 says:

Odd – no clips form 2010.  I wonder why that is?

29. Mattyleg says:

Ha! Touché.

But the arbitration intention was always there.

Kinda bugged me.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

30. ZepFan2 says:

That’s the problem. I fractured mine. Basically shattered a lot of bone. It was a real mess.

Now I know what a hoffman is. lol

I seen a few people wearing them while waiting to see Harvey…I mean a resident.

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

31. PeterStone says:

2001 .. wow , mine was either end of 2000 or start of 01 .  The wrist is complex … so many small bones in there too.  I have heard horror stories about breaking the smaller bones in there .. i was lucky I guess, i broke the big ones.

google hoffman and wrist, you’ll see.

32. ZepFan2 says:

Beleive it or not, this happened in 2001.

The worst part is, it’s my right wrist and i’m right handed.

I’m not familliar as to what the hoffman is.

———————————————————————–

– Steven Tyler

33. TomNickle says:

Desmond Howard, Reggie White, Dorsey Levens, Edgar Bennett, Antonio Freeman, Andre Rison, Mark Chmura, Don Beebe and many others like Doug Evans, Craig Newsome, Leroy Butler, Gilbert(grave digger) Brown.  Earl Dotson was a pretty good player too.

Favre sure played well that season but I also remember plays like his interception to the Eagles in overtime of the divisional round the year the Patriots beat the Panthers in the Superbowl.  Green Bay was a heavy favourite to win the Superbowl at that point in the playoffs and Favre did nothing but chuck it up to Javon Walker for three quarters into double and triple coverages.

I remember him making a dumbass throw against the Giants in overtime that Corey Webster was ALL OVER.

I remember him doing the same thing with the Vikings last year when Tracy Porter(SAINTS PLAYOFF MVP, IMO) caught that gimmie in overtime.  Funny how the playoff overtime rules get changed after Favre loses again in overtime to a field goal.

Funny thing about those three loses were that the Packers defense took the blame for allowing McNabb to connect with Freddie Mitchell on a 4th and 26th(deservedly) but Favre somehow escaped blame for that loss.

Mike McCarthy got some serious blame for not giving Al Harris any help over the top against Plaxico Burress in the NFC Championship game when the Giants won the superbowl.  Sure, Plaxico was hurting them, but Favre threw the game away again.(That time he did take his share of the blame).

Last year Bernard Berrian, Percy Harvin and Adrian Peterson take the blame because they fumbled at one point in the game.  Nevermind that favre botched a handoff to Peterson late in the first half or that he should’ve had the brains to check off to the run late in the fourth quarter when they had the chance get one of the most accurate kickers in league history a makeable field goal.

I’m ranting now but I’m sure you see my point.  He never takes the blame for the loss even though it’s the quarterback’s job to be a leader.

To be honest with you Tim.  I wanted him out of Green Bay the second McCarthy took over as coach.  It was time for Green Bay to be about the Packers again, and not about Favre.

I will say that if I were a Viking fan, I wouldn’t want a superbowl win with Favre as my quarterback.  Tarkenton is on the money with that one.

34. PeterStone says:

ouch.  you’re lucky to be alive.  when did this happen ?

well, the thing I will say to you is that, as you know, Dr Harvey is an incredible doctor.  Like I mentioned, I busted a 1 sq.inch are of my wrist in 26 pcs.  I also fractured the radius, tore a tendon which was re-attached had 13 pins and the hoffman.  My wrist isnt like new, but, considering, its pretty darn good.  The human body is an incredible machine, and its ability to repair itself is a miracle all to itself.  With Dr Harveys help I suspect you will look back in a couple of years and be as surprised as I was.

Best of Luck !

35. TomNickle says:

Ed, you just compared a goaltender who didn’t want to be a member of this team to a one of the most tenured captains in Habs history.

That’s how far out of control this love affair for Halak is.(not saying it’s just you)

36. Storm Man says:

But he did win your team a superbowl 1997 :) I understand your feelings when it comes to him Im sure your not the only one.

37. HabsFanInTampa says:

Well said, Ian. It’s 2010 and we’re STILL debating this language (non)issue. C’mon Quebecers, let it go already!

38. JIMVINNY says:

Ryder never actually went to arbitration.  He elected to ask for it, but a contract always got signed before the hearing happened.  His relationship with management wasn’t the problem, it was his relationship with the puck.  It went real bad, real fast.

39. TomNickle says:

I’m not gonna jump all over you here Tim but you’re talking to a guy who’s followed his career since his first days as a Falcon.

The guy needs to be a hero and he needs the spotlight.  He needs people to be focused on the injuries that he “overcomes” so that they aren’t focused on things like him not speaking to his fellow quarterbacks or falling asleep in team meetings.

Everybody in the league has injuries, and sure they’re more difficult to overcome as players get older.  But in Favre’s case, he’s been doing this since the age of 32, it didn’t just start in the 2010 NFC Championship game.

He makes huge mistakes late in games that cost his team Superbowls and then chalks it up to his injuries while his teammates take their lumps from the media and don’t speak a word of what’s going on at the trainer’s room and doctors office.

Brett Favre the player was great, Brett Favre the person is a lot of other things.  I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t suit up for the Thursday night opener against the Saints.

40. Storm Man says:

Im on the fence when it comes to what is going on in Favres head. If his ankle is not 100 percent I can see him taking his time. It would be a shock if his never plays a down this year.

41. TomNickle says:

Favre told teammates last night according to Jay Glazer that he wasn’t coming back.

It’s total crap as usual.  He won’t retire until Peyton Manning misses a game and leaves him one record other than the interception mark to keep in his name.

To play the game at this level, you cannot get a penalty for speaking or not speaking a certain language.! Unless I missed something in the rule book?

Narrow minded people never see the bigger picture.! Saku is a great ambassador for the game and each city that he has ever plays in. My blog

43. ZepFan2 says:

I was hit by a van while I was walking on the sidewalk.

My wrist hit the moving van fracturing it. Then I fell back and used my already damaged hand to break the fall and caused even more damage.

I’ve had 2 scopes and a partial fusion on one side with another to come.

My wrist movement is minimal, it’s the pain that’s the killer.

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

44. RiverviewCanadien says:

Seriously Andrew? Not a fan of one of the most influential bands from the past 2 decades…I am disappointed.

45. Storm Man says:

I think it would be great if Price walked in wearing a cowboy hat and boots and sat down at the heritage classic press conference and said I have signed a contract with the Habs on Wednesday.

46. Mattyleg says:

Blah blah “Montreal’s incompetent managem…”

NEXT POST!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

47. Storm Man says:

Number 11 is and always will be a class act, My post had nothing to do about him BTW.

48. Rudy says:

100% agree. This is to keep the media at bay for a few extra weeks

49. Mark C says:

It was an interesting story. But, knowing your thoughts on management, and reading in between the lines. I get the impression you blame Montreal management for a missed diagnosis, which happens, shoulder injuries are tricky sometimes. Do you know if Mara got both an MRI and CT? I don’t know what a young doctor has to do with it, there are some great young doctors out there.

I don’t know how Montreal management “blew the Mara file” before getting injured he was playing on par this his recent history. Don’t think Montreal management was expecting 2005-06 Mara, just a steady, hardnosed D-man, who could bring a strong physical element. That’s what one expects to get when they pay $1.9M for a veteran D.

50. Thomas Le Fan says:

Conversely, Halak will repeat his heroics because you say so? You should patent that crystal ball, of yours.

51. Thomas Le Fan says:

Well okay, since you know how this turns out already, I won’t argue. Seeing as my crystal ball is not working, like I said, I’ll have to wait and see. Go Habs! Or not, eh?

52. mike g says:

Well the author spoke about that theory…

And I agree with him. He reminded us that once EDM failed tog et Vanek, they signed Penner to an offer-sheet right away. And comparing Vanek and Penner’s performances from the past few years, there’s not much of a difference. So Vanek wouldn’t have had too much more of an impact, and probably not enough to get them out of the basement last year.

All in all there are always question marks. But the main point of this article was to show what a total bust Vanek has been, and how the Sabres management totally missed the boat. Very few players are worth FOUR 1st round picks, very few….Especially in the salary cap world, where teams love young studs who cost 3 peanuts on the cap.

Buffalo lost out big time on that deal.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

53. SlovakHab says:

Still, four 1st rounders are four 1st rounders.. Buffalo would have been way better off right now. Vanek isn’t really a superstar.. And we saw how Kessel didn’t help the Leafs not to give the Bruins a high pick.

However, I can’t imagine any management that would have had the balls to lose Vanek after Drury and Briere..

54. ed lopaz says:

it has been argued that because Saku’s wife speaks French, there was even more reason for Saku to learn french.

I couldn’t care less about whether Saku spoke french, by the way.

Saku was still Saku to me – always will be a hero for his on and off ice accomplishments.

55. SeriousFan09 says:

Koivu spoke Finnish, Swedish and English, he wasn’t that proficient in French but he spoke two more languages fluently than the average North American and he knew a 4th, but was not that comfortable in speaking it.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

56. ed lopaz says:

interesting post Mark.

the point of the story was simply to relay the facts.

but if you want to suggest that habs management blew the mara file, i won’t disagree with you.

after all, I was not the one who signed Mara.

Gainey did.

57. andrewberkshire says:

Green Day? BLECH!!

58. Thomas Le Fan says:

Only a little, unfortunately. Getting (mis)treated by a doctor is not limited to the rich (athletes). Isn’t that the essence of socialized medicine? If our second tier (the US system) is eliminated. Bingo!

59. observer says:

many people have a hard time learning how to speak french after they are grown-ups.

60. SlovakHab says:

I stopped paying attention to it.. I am a fan that loves this team and tries to look at the positive side. May not agree with everything the management does, but bashing them endlessly before seeing the actual results – not my style. Many of the people on HI/O are like this, but I already got used to that.

61. TorontoHabsFan says:

Upon further reflection, I think you’re right. Rosen also suggests that Atlanta (with Pavelec and Mason), Dallas (with Lehtonen), and Washington (with Varlamov and Neuwirth) as potential destinations for Niemi.

Seems a little too random for there to be any inside information backing these assertions.

cheers

62. Storm Man says:

Where did you read this? If his ankle is not healed he may have to give it up but till he comes out and says Im done one never knows with him.

63. mike g says:

That wasn’t a riot…

That was a few people causing minimal damage. I wasn’t there, but the media just blew up the whole thing. Apart from a few acts of theft and damages, not much else happened.

When this city and it’s faithful want to throw a party or go crazy, we know how to go crazy. All I meant with the statement you cited was that if we would have refused FOUR 1st round picks for a player like Vanek, and seen how Vanek has played since then, we’d be so pissed at the Habs management.

You think people can’t stand PG and BG now, Oh boy it would  be mayhem if we would have refused a trade that would have sent us Taylor Hall.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

64. Curtoph says:

Someone doesn’t like the fan made videos!

65. Storm Man says:

His wife is french lame comeback.

66. observer says:

maybe a cap on owners profits which should be equally shared with players? r do you only believe in communism for players and capitalism for owners?

67. Curtoph says:

But would Edmonton suck as much with Tomas Vanek? Thats the real question Mr. G, if Tomas Vanek made Edmonton better, then those 10th overall picks might of been higher and of lesser value. Edmonton would probably of strucutred their team more around Mr. Vanek and therefore things would not work out the way they did. It could have, but probably not.

68. HabFanSince72 says:

No, players who go to arbitration are after fair market value for their skill.

The Hawks offered Niemi $1.5M.

Don’t tell me that is fair market value for a young cup winner.

69. Mattyleg says:

Yep, like I said, it creates bad blood. Look at Michael Ryder’s relationship with management after he went TWICE to arbitration.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

70. PeterStone says:

most are … i had the hoffman on my wrist ,  what happened to you ?

71. ed lopaz says:

guess Saku never cared much about being part of the team or the city either???

72. Mark C says:

Montreal’s incompetent management has now seeped down to the Doctor level. I’m starting to feel like Chicken Little.

I have received money orders for 15 more in the
    $75 and $160 seats this morning. After a week or so I will list people
    so you know that I received your money order and all requested
    information.

I have been given a great price per seat and all the tickets that we are going to need this year. So get them while there hot.

But remember what we don’t pay for will go on sale to the general public for more money in a couple of weeks.

So get your money orders in to me for the number of seats you need for both sections, ASAP. With all requested information.

It
    sure looks like a larger group this year, Come out and have a great
    time meeting with our HIO community and talking about our Montreal
    Canadiens.

I am working on some special guests to join us that I have been asked not to make public.

Fan Summit Updates

74. scrowe21 says:

Almost every fan video posted so far as had “crap” music….this is muuuuuch better.

——–If you play nhl10 for xbox360 add me – scrowe21

75. likehoy says:

how is andy sutton worth the same amount as hal gill?

76. scrowe21 says:

I dunno but he can throw HUGE hits at the blueline. seen him lay out so many people

——–If you play nhl10 for xbox360 add me – scrowe21

77. Mr-T says:

ACDC….An astute strategy by Boone that just capitchulates you into giving a response.

Support Carey Price        “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

78. alestar says:

Boone just put that in to pad the post count. He plans on using the inflated numbers to justify his demands for an increased per diem for those 4 hour lunches at the tavern.

XXIV…and counting

79. habsnyc says:

being named a game star when you lose, only speaks to the culturalization of losing wihich habs fans who did not witness the 70’s now seem to cherish.

80. JD_ says:

I won’t take no prisoners, won’t spare no lives
    Nobody’s puttin’ up a fight
    I got my bell, I’m gonna take you to hell
    I’m gonna get you, Satan get you

Hell’s Bells!

* Hell yeah! Beer funnels, bongs, ‘n’ babes. So many wonderful memories. That Booner, what a kidder.

* Read this hilarious satirical piece in the Gazoo’s sports section this mornin’. Drippin’ with irony. Beyond me how the author was able to keep a straight face through the whole thing. I understand he’ll be publishin’ his “Just Kiddin’, Y’All” follow-up in tomorrow’s edition. Good one, Red, really had me goin’ there for a sec.

* Mike Modano’s a Wing. Good on ‘im. Makes sense for both sides. Besides, what’s there not to like about a guy whose agent was netmindin’ during one of my favourite Habs goals of all time, 1986 Habs’ rookie Claude Lemieux’s Adams Division Final Game 7 OT marker against the hapless Whalers. On a related note, Kevin Dineen’s still a bastich.

* Seguin signs and the Broonz move one step closer. If they can keep it together, dump the Thomas & Ryder contractual brain cramps, and the Loafs perform as expected next season, watch out. Have no doubt that Broonz president, and resident Ulf Samuelsson Must Die t-shirt bearer, Cam Neely will send Burke a ring if and when things come to pass.

* Carey Price hasn’t signed. In other news, cancelled an outing to LaRonde today due to overall raininess. Unfortunate as I was lookin’ forward to havin’ my heart blow clear out of my chest whilst endurin’ that first drop on the Goliath. Not quite New Jersey’s sick insane Kingda Ka – Holy FS, indeed – but good times, nevertheless.

* Holy Lord, that LoafsDouche in Jordio-oh’s video link is a pretty sad piece of work. If you’ve ever wondered how the term “loser” came about, wonder no more. Wanker galore. Literally.

81. sidhu says:

Not sure if this has been posted before — or if anyone cares — but it seems Eller will wear #60 this season:

82. Psycho29 says:

The audacity of giving Theodore’s number to another player!!!

:-)

83. habs03 says:

I think he might be wearing 81 after all, I also read he was going to wear 60 but its been changed to 81, 81 is the number tagged to his name on the Canadians website,

84. kempie says:

I bet he’d get along real well with Lapierre. No doubt Lappy has forgotten about Ray helicoptering his goal stick into his face. Emery is a dbag and a sorry excuse for a goaltender.

85. Psycho29 says:

Marcel Hossa’s old number?!?!?!??! You’ve GOT to be joking…

86. monizal840 says:

this is nice information need to know more

87. mrhabby says:

aside from the golden boy thing..why not trade price and sign neimi…sounds good to me. the cost has already been established for neimi and we could get some very decent pics for price…

88. habs03 says:

I find it more suitable for a Centre, 60 is just a weird number to me for a forward.

89. G-Man says:

Take all the guys who haven’t won, like Luongo. Behind a great team, too. Only Miller stands out because the rest fold under pressure.

90. kempie says:

I find her somber and depressing. Nice voice though.

91. Xtrahabsfan says:

If Price doesn’t sign soon Gauthier should just get grab Ray Emery, if his surgery when well.Then Ray can do the fighting and netminding…..

92. K-hab25 says:

Thomas, Niemi and now Emery. As long as it’s not Price, right. Like I always said Price fans, are just that, Price fans. Halak fans,the majority anyway, are just Price haters in disguise. Has Biron signed yet? I have a feeling he’ll be your bright idea for tomorrow.

93. Storm Man says:

Biron is with the Rangers. I don’t think he is that dumb but if his brother in manapart one never knows.

94. K-hab25 says:

You wanna sign a 27 year old with 1 year of experience, to a 2.75 mill contract and trade the 22 year old with 3 years experience. Ohh that’s right, his “team” won the cup, so he’s worth it. Sign him and it’s cup here we come. I do find it funny the team he was on, doesn’t think he’s worth that much to keep, but people on here do. Let me just say I’m extremely happy that you and xtra don’t have a say, or we would be overpaying garbage like Thomas, Niemi or Emery.

95. RGM says:

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

96. ed lopaz says:

I’m trying to understand your post.

you’re saying that certain habs fans who “say” they were Halak fans, are just Price haters instead??

I started off – like everyone – freaking out over Price.

last year I began to QUESTION Price when he gestured to the crowd in the middle of the game – like Roy did.

thats inexcusable.

then Halak took over as # 1 at the end of the season and throughout the playoffs.

who were we supposed to cheer for when the Habs chose to play Halak.

naturally, I began to freak out about Halak’s play in game 5 vs Washington.

does that make me a Price hater??

if the Habs would have played Price, and he would have led us to the ECF, I would have cheered just as loudly

for Price as I did for Halak. I have no doubt about that whatsoever.

I survived the Roy trade to Colorado in ’95, and cheered my heart out for Thibeaut, and he was very average.

there is no HATE for Price – at least not in me – and I was a Halak fan

97. TomNickle says:

Exactly Ed. Not in you.

You must understand that you’re in the overwhelming minority when it comes to people who objectively view both goalies(for the most part).

Your desire for Halak to be the goalie didn’t include calling Price a monkey or saying that he has alcohol or mental illness issues.

99% of the posts that lobby for Halak to be the goalie reference Carey Price’s alleged off ice issues, Halak’s heart of gold or Price’s won/loss record.

I’ve rarely, if ever, seen a post that argues that Halak is the best option for the team going forward based on anything related to skill, ability or team first needs.

98. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

What’s up with all the people here man? Trade Price, sign Niemi, what the heck? That same Niemi was pathetic throughout the playoffs. Heck, you could’ve put Toskala in nets for Chicago last season and they still would’ve won the cup! Niemi is no Fleury from 2009 or Osgood from 2008, he’s very similar to Leighton! They had exceptional d-men like Seabrook, Keith, Pronger, Timonen playing in front of them! Do we have a d-man of that caliber? Do we have depth like those two teams? NO! Then why whine and bi*ch constantly about the goaltenders! If we had d-men of those caliber, then today Halak would have had a Cup ring and Habs would have pursued their 25th cup. But, guess what, we DON’T have d-men of that caliber. And yet, all you guys can do is bit*h and whine about Carey Price, like if somehow if he was replaced by Biron or Niemi our team would immediately become a Cup contender. Sheesh.

99. RGM says:

Or better yet: all three of them! LOL

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

100. ed lopaz says:

ok – fine.

I remember watching Price at his 1st development camp for the Habs at Martin Lapointe arena in Lachine.

He was 18 still.

The habs had just drafted him maybe 4 or 6 weeks earlier.

He was outstanding even in the practice drills; outstanding!

I had seen Dryden and Roy in their primes.

Price was like a combination of both those guys.

He had Dryden’s size and Roy’s quickness and athleticism.

This is why I’m so negative on management – one of the reasons why – the Price “file” has been totally screwed up.

101. nathan947 says:

i would love to read more from you on this

102. The Cat says:

It wasnt easy for Niemi and Osgood, the teams they played for didnt give up many shots on goal, thats tough for a goalie you know.

103. TomNickle says:

Yet he still has that skill and talent.

Rollie Melanson screwed him up bigtime.  I’m not about to get into how much of a bad person he is because he did a great job with Halak and many others.  But he tried to make a tremendously successful goalie into something he’s not, and that hurt him.  If you want to blame that on Gainey, Gauthier, Boivin, Gilette or whoever, that’s your rite as a fan.  Sure one of those people could’ve stepped in and said don’t do it, but at the end of the day they were paying him to be the goaltending coach, and trusted him, the move didn’t work out.

Every front office makes their share of mistakes and none are without judgment.  But where fans cross the line is making stuff up about alcohol addictions, mental illness, calling a player on the team, who happens to be human, the name of a primate.

It’s beyond ridiculous Ed.  I think you would agree that if Price had kept the job, played well in the playoffs and then was traded in favour of Halak, I wouldn’t be sitting here today saying that Halak is a heroin addict who suffers from depression and looks like a baboon.

104. K-hab25 says:

Exactly!! On top of that how many Halak fans, when asked, say they don’t like Price. Saying he’s cocky, funny I always see a shy quiet kid from the sticks. You wanna see cocky, watch a football or basketball game, Price is not cocky. They say he’s the annointed one. This is his fault how? They say he’s immature, like the “unforgivable” Roy gesture or shooting the puck at the feet of the Caps players after a goal. Roy is my favorite player of all time. A major reason why, was the fire he played with. At times he came across as an immature baby, but the fire is what made him the best. He hated to lose and wasn’t afraid to give as good as he got. Whether it was opposing teams or the fans. I’m not saying Price is Roy, he’s definitely not, but like Roy he has alot of people that don’t like him because of that firey edge they both have. LIike I’ve said and will continue to say, maybe 30% of Halak fans, really are big Halak fans. The other 70% are just fans of “the other goalie”, or the one without Price on the back of his jersey.

105. The Cat says:

Or another way to look at it is many became Halak fans because of Halaks inspirational play and his personal story. Whereas I got to wonder what Price has done to even have any ‘rabid’ fans? Dont get me wrong I dont hate him, but you know wheres the beef?

106. ed lopaz says:

if Price had kept the job, played well in the playoffs and then was traded,

you would be pissed as hell at management!!

that’s what people are “hating”  – at least the one’s I know.

no one I know blames Price.

and, also, management was watching Price’s file as closely as any on the team.

for them NOT TO STEP IN and stop whatever Melancon was doing is, in and of itself, reason for dismissal.

Melancon might have been the goalie coach, but if the guy who manages the team can not see that an asset

as valuable as this is being ruined, why have that guy continue as your manager??

And then after the all star break, why didn’t Gauthier step in and tell Martin to play Price.

The file was blown right then and there.

107. TomNickle says:

The fact remains that had the shoe been on the other foot I wouldn’t be sitting here today referring to Halak in a demeaning fashion.

I would be upset, I would be angry with Habs management, I would be questioning the future direction of the team. But I wouldn’t take that frustration out on the goalie who was kept.

And that’s what most who disapprove of the trade are doing.

I said it with 5 games left in the regular season, that it would have to be a choice between Halak and Plekanec. Everybody called me crazy saying that Halak would sign a deal around $2 million and Plekanec around $4 million. And look where we are today.

A player was traded who didn’t want to be here. Whether or not it had to do with management, ownership or teammates. His inconsistency and lack of desire to be a part of this team going forward made him far from untouchable. But that’s just my opinion.

108. ed lopaz says:

I don’t think it had anything to do with Halak’s attitude, which I was told by his past goalie coach was outstanding.

I was also told that he was extremely well liked by his teammates.

of course, it could all be total BS and I would not be able to confirm any of it.

no, to me, this was a message to Jacques Martin – straight from Gauthier to Martin.

It was, hey buddy, guess what, next year you WILL play Price, because Halak will no longer be an option.

And that’s what management decided – Gauthier and Gainey – to eliminate Halak from the discussion.

Martin was given the final say over his bench last season – as any coach should.

But if Halak is not on that bench the controversy is over.

Now Martin gets to choose between Price or Auld – so there is no choice.

that was a management decision to override a coach’s decision last playoffs.

Gauthier and Gainey have always been sure of Price’s ability, but Martin’s first season as the coach did NOT

confirm that – clearly.

Now the decision had to be taken out of Martin’s hands – by way of the trade.

109. K-hab25 says:

Not talking about you Ed, I know you’re Halak fan for sure. I was more talking about xtra, manapart, adam 76, g-man, demigod, tony 242, lenny, mikey, clay, doug, demigod, smart dog, cat, bugs, ect. All of them have stated they don’t like Price or he rubs them the wrong way. I have no problem with that, I hated Kovalev, but it also means there view of his play is tainted, like mine was of Kovy. Every game Kovy played, he would get on my nerves, even when others were saying how good he was playing. Well that’s the same thing those guys do with Price. Every goal against, is a weak one, every gesture, is the wrong one, every off ice rumor, is a true one, the kid can’t win with them. It gets frustrating coming to a Habs fan site and reading nothing but hatred towards one of our own. I hated Kovalev, but I rarely posted anything bad about the guy, he was a Hab and I don’t treat Habs that wag-m

110. Mark C says:

Martin did play Price after the Olympic break, don’t know why you keep bring this up. Price got 3 of the first 4 post-Olympic starts. Price then gave up 3 goals on 11 shots against the Duck, Halak come on and Montreal won that game in OT with Halak making all 21 saves. Halak and Montreal then go on a 5 game winning streak. Price get two more starts before the playoffs, both loses, however Price did play well in those games. Both goalies put up great number after the Olympics, just Montreal seemed to win more with Halak in goal 9-3-3 versus 1-2-1 for Price. Isn’t it Martin’s job to win games?

111. The Cat says:

Very well put and I agree 100%.

112. K-hab25 says:

We’ve had this dicussion during the season. You’re touched by Halaks personal story and Price just rubs you the wrong way. Well I’m not to touched by the personal struggle of playing a game for a living. I am however interested in seeing whether or not a guy with immense talent blossoms into an elite goaltender or an average one. There is his rabid fanbase in a nutshell. Price has earned everything just like Halak, his story just isn’t as Disney as Halaks is.

113. G-Man says:

A Stanley Cup winning goalie is garbage. Your perspective and opinion has just fallen off the deep end. Wow! It’s one thing to be a fan of Price; it’s quite another to be insane about it.

114. Mark C says:

Let me get this straight, PG and BG are such conies with Martin, that they based their AHL head coaching hiring on protecting and insulating him. Yet, they traded Martin’s goalie binky away to make sure Martin plays Price.

Sounds more like the 9th circle of hell to me.

115. K-hab25 says:

I think Eds been hanging around with demigod, it’s all a conspiracy to keep Martin and Price here forever. (evil laugh) :-)

116. K-hab25 says:

Coming from the guy insane with hatred for Price. How did your great Huet not beat this chump Niemi out. I guess like Halak, you just overrated how good he was to. You can have your cup winners, Niemi, Fluery, Osgood, Giguerre and Ward. I’ll take Price, Lundquist, Luongo, Miller and Rask, guys that haven’t won a cup, but are better than that group that have. Winning is a team accomplishment, hopefully one day you’ll understand that.

117. ed lopaz says:

yes, very funny. maybe demigod and i are actually the same people??? :-)

118. Bill H says:

“What’s up with all the people here man? Trade Price, sign Niemi, what
    the heck? …Do we have depth like those two teams? NO! Then why whine
    and bi*ch constantly about the goaltenders!”

In the 2 years I’ve been here on HIO, the best answer I can come up with to that question is that it is in our DNA.  The ones that don’t whine and complain are genetic mutants.

119. Mark C says:

Ed knows his hockey, but he hates Montreal’s management. I’m not even in love with them, but someone needs to be pulling on the other end of the rope. All team’s management make mistakes all the time, its part of life and sports. Debating these mistakes can be fun, but some people take it too far, by blaming management for everything even with completely imperfect information. For example, all the blame given them because Moore signed in Tampa for cheap. Do any of us even know if Moore wanted to play in Montreal? No, yet it fine and good for people to blame the management for not signing him.

120. K-hab25 says:

Sweet, you like Norwegian death metal too. :-) I hope you realise I was just messing with you Ed. I respect your opinion , you know your stuff.

121. K-hab25 says:

In the words of the immortal xtra, ditto!!

122. Habsforlife 1959 says:

Carey Price will be the man this season or not? That’s the million dollars question here? Like it or lump it. The bottom line is Halak is now gone and what choice is left? Get over it and believe that Carey Price will be a big part of this team. Its a team game and goaltending is one player on a team. No matter who it is, If its Carey Price, Alex Auld or another goalie who will play nets this coming season. Yes it starts from the goalie out and the rest comes from players that the coaching staff instructed them to stick to the teams game plan.

Go Habs Go!!! Believe!!! Believe!!! Carey!!! Carey!!! Carey!!! Ole!!! Ole!!! Ole!!!

The majority of Carey Price’s losses from last season is when Carey Price was named one of the three stars. That alone speaks volumes in how the team played in front of him. Halak gave the Habs a wonderful playoff run and ran out of gas against the Flyers in the ECF. Not bad at all!!!

123. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

I am sorry bud, I shouldn’t have wrote..well typed that. Even I whine from time to time but I got really fed up with whole Price dilemma. Sorry all.

124. petrov14 says:

I hope he calls Theodore to ask if its okay to wear #60 lol

______________________________________ Gionta for Captain.

125. ed lopaz says:

it was reported that Moore wanted to come back to the habs – everyone assumed it was a money issue.

126. ed lopaz says:

yes I know you were kidding – its not a problem.

if you keep complimenting me I might agree with a few of your posts. :-)

127. petefleet says:
    39 Cristobal Huet     48   46  2731 2.50  26  14  4  4  1083  114  .895  0  0  4

26 wins (same as Niemi)

14 losses

4 OT losses (same as Niemi)

4 shutouts

.895 save % (a little low)

Not sure what all the panic is about.  If Price had #’s like that last year, the Habs would have finished first in the east!!!

Go Habs Go

128. derfab says:

Red is off on this one and should know better than to mess with another Bowman. Turco is a quality goaltender. Niemi covers the bottom of the net well and played well but also allowed some very untimely goals to keep inferior teams in games they were all but out of. He was not an mvp candidate and is not the reason Chicago won anything.  All considered, a gutsy move by Chicago.

character is derfab destiny.

129. andrewberkshire says:

RiverviewCanadien: Nope, not a fan of Green Day at all. Can’t stand Billy Joe, and I can’t stand how amazingly cocky they are as a group. I hated them after ‘American Idiot’, but what really lost every ounce of my respect was when they covered ‘Working Class Hero’. To have the balls to cover that song, and completely ruin it… Disgusting.

130. TomNickle says:

There really is no debating that Green Day sold out Andrew because they did.  Not that 90% of musical groups don’t but not liking their music isn’t really a bad thing.  I can’t stand anything they’ve done since 1995 to be honest.

131. HabsFanInTampa says:

Green Day is presently one of the most popular bands around. I, personally, enjoyed their music since 1994’s Dookie. The “American Idiot” album was a swipe at the Bush administration’s policies and right wing conservatism. When they covered Lennon’s “Working Class Hero”, they asked permission from Yoko as to not insult John’s legacy. She very much enjoyed their version and gave them her blessing. She was especially moved at the end of the song when they used John Lennon’s voice. I covet the original and would rather listen to the Lennon version, but the way they went about covering that classic, I think showed respect.

132. likehoy says:

used to be a fan of green day when i was a teen…they they just got too mainstream to sell records

anyone attend Osheaga this past weekend?

133. ooder says:

I’m 21 and i have given up on modern “rock” quite a while ago.

a bunch of pretentious whiny wannabes

——————

88 is the new 23

134. SeriousFan09 says:

All the music groups are a bunch of cocky ***holes when it comes to the mainstream scene, but whatever. I started not listening to groups because I didn’t like them for something they did, I’d not listen to anybody. I like Green Day, if the music isn’t your style I can respect that but i’d say you’re pushing it a bit far.

I hate it when Metallica gets covered by hack artists, but I don’t condemn them for it completely. I have a bad ear for music so I tend to respect anyone who can play an instrument if they use their talent well, even if I can’t stand their music (and that includes the Beatles).

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

135. Adam says:

I liked American Idiot, there were some pretty decent songs on there. And as a professional music critic, I must be right.

That last part about always being right is a joke, just so we’re clear.

136. RiverviewCanadien says:

Fair enough. I really don’t care about the Lennon thing though (John has been dead for a long time…besides wasn’t it just a single for a charity album??? EDIT: yes it was for an Amnesty International Album which featured artists covering Lennon’s music).

I have loved their music ever since their Lookout Record days prior to exploding onto the scene with Dookie (creating ‘Pop-Punk’ – which they always were, it just became popular within my generation). Screeching Weasel is one of my all-time fav bands (after the Ramones). I was actually supposed to tour with a band signed to Lookout records called “The Queers” back in ’96 (easy there fellas…not what you think).

Personally I am a HUGE fan of punk rock. There really is not too many genres of music I do not listen to from time to time.

Calling them a sellout is not in my vocabulary, hell if making money doing what you love is selling out, then that goes for anything remotely popular out there today.

137. Storm Man says:

I hope someone emails the habswatch article to Bertrand Raymond and Rejean Tremblay it will give them something both to chew on today.

138. andrewberkshire says:

I have no problem with musical groups “selling out”, that’s how they make money, and ultimately that’s what they’re in it for. What I have a problem with is the ego of a band becoming so out of reality that they decide to cover John Lennon. With Green Day however I’ve never really liked their particular style of music because I’m not a fan of punk, and I’m most definitely not a fan of pop-punk. Just thought I’d explain my reasoning to RC as he seemed disappointed in my dismissal of Green Day.

139. TomNickle says:

In many cases it’s more exploiting than it is covering or in the case of Wake me up when September ends.

That song was truly sickening to hear for me.  It was shameless in my opinion.  There was nothing politically alarming about that song.  It was a money maker from the start and not a humanitarian project.

140. kempie says:

It bugged me when they covered All The Young Dudes and called it 21 Guns.

141. andrewberkshire says:

Completely agreed.

142. andrewberkshire says:

Yeah, I don’t consider asking Yoko respecting Lennon. And Yoko liking the remake, if anything, shows how terrible it was, because she’s one of the worst musicians in history.

As for American Idiot, it was SO fake. They waited until bashing Bush was popular, and then blasted a record out about it trying to capture the zeitgeist. It worked for them unfortunately.

143. Jordio-oh says:

This is just too good not to share. Everyone needs to watch at least one of this guys video blogs in order to fully appreciate what leaf fans are about.

I actually can’t stop laughing at work.

144. adam76 says:

That man is the perfect reflection of the Leafs fanbase.

145. Say Ash says:

Thanks for that, totally cheered me up this morning. That’s some great koolaid those fans have access to.

146. mike g says:

That kid needs a hot-dog in his mouth and a baseball bat to the head….

It’s just beyond me how any fan of the Leafs can bash the Sens or Habs’ elimination. It either takes a popcorn faced douche like that kid, or a 9 year old…

LOL, anyways

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

147. ZepFan2 says:

“Have fun golfing in June, Habs. hahaha”

He’s right. After the Leafs get thru with their golfing in May, the courses are sh!t.

This says it all about that clown and all the other Leaf clowns…”leaf fans, have less brains then a puck.”

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

148. alestar says:

That dude is about 5 cans short of a six pack…its kinda sad, actually.

Leafs Nation, indeed!

XXIV…and counting

149. Jordio-oh says:

He’s got dozens of video blogs, but this one is my favorite so far:

150. andrewberkshire says:

Now we know what Jeff does in his spare time while not trolling HIO.

151. Mark C says:

B’s sign Seguin to a max entry level contract.

152. TomNickle says:

Rask, Krejci, Bergeron, Colborne, Caron, Marchand, Hammil, McQuaid, Seguin, Spponer.

Not to mention the lottery pick coming this next off-season.

That team is looking good for a few years.  Can’t believe they traded that 16th overall pick for Horton but I guess when the cupboard’s full, there’s no need to hand onto a mid range first rounder.

153. Rudy says:

Why is Huet no longer on Chicago’s roster at Capgeek?

154. Fire_Laraque says:

In the minors?

155. Fire_Laraque says:

I still can’t believe how stupid Burke was to trade his first rounder for Kessel.

156. mike g says:

Boston will be a serious team for the next 4-5 years….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

157. TomNickle says:

So far the trade has landed Boston Tyler Seguin, Ryan Spooner and the Leafs’ first round draft choice next season.

Oh, and it alleviated the Bruins of $5 million in salary.

158. SeriousFan09 says:

Bergeron is less of a problem nowadays, he and Savard are probably each one more hit away from having to consider retirement or just losing most of their top-end ability, concussions can’t be cured. Bergeron is becoming a paper asset for their depth chart at his current rate.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

159. Fire_Laraque says:

I know.  It’s effin crazy.  Lopsided to the max.  But hey, Kuddos to Ciarelli.  Wonder if PG would’ve been able to land this one.

160. TomNickle says:

Only if they rebuild their crop of defensemen.  Beyond Chara there isn’t much there.  I like Boychuk but he isn’t going to be a top 3 guy in the NHL.

The smartest move they could make would be to send a package that doesn’t include the pick they got from Toronto to the Leafs for Kaberle.

Kaberle not being a Leaf assures the Toronto squad of last place in the league in my opinion.

They can get themselves the first overall pick in next year’s draft if they pull it off.

161. TomNickle says:

He played 73 games this season and if I’m not mistaken the only games he missed were the result of a wrist injury.

I’d put that team’s current roster and field of prospects up against anybody else’s in the NHL.  The Los Angeles Kings are the only team I would consider better as far as NHL ready talent and developing prospects.

162. Mark C says:

All in the name of truculence…oh, wait Keseel is one of the softest players in the league. I know it takes all types of players to win, yet I find it hard to believe that Burke gave up so much value for a one dimensional player.

163. mike g says:

Well they have to start off by re-signing him, he’s a UFA after this year…

If that’s done, I think they’re 1 top 3 d-man away from being Cup contenders in the East. They’ve got Boychuk, Chara, Siedenberg, and Ference now. Kaberle would be good, but I don’t see Burke sending him to Boston without grabbing his 2011 1st round pick back. So Kabs to Boston is dead IMO…

But if I was Chiarelli, I’d go after a UFA like Willie Mitchell, if he’s recovered from his concussion issues. He’d be a solid d-man to sign for 2-3 year, for about 2.5 mill. I was surprised they weren’t able to get Cam Barker from Chicago last year. Barker’s trade to Minny for Kim Johnson was such a bad trade for the Hawks, I’m sure the Bruins could have made a much better package.

And Barker fits the Bruins profile..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

164. SeriousFan09 says:

The issues are his previous concussions, he has one this year it could start a real Lindros-style decline in his ability.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

165. TomNickle says:

True, but until he has that concussion he’s a good, productive and sometimes elite player that isn’t just a name on paper.

166. andrewberkshire says:

Can’t stand the Beatles?!?! I don’t think we can be civil anymore!

167. ZepFan2 says:

You can’t stand The Beatles!

You poor soulless bastard. ;)

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

168. andrewberkshire says:

I’ve really fallen out of touch with modern music since high school. I don’t listen to the radio or keep track of new artists, so everything I listen to is either old, recommended or new albums from bands I’ve loved since I was younger.

169. ooder says:

you pretty much took the words right out of my mouth

i acutally find some pretty good music from the scores of certain movies

——————

88 is the new 23

170. andrewberkshire says:

Haha! That’s what I do too! Soundtracks are basically my main way of seeing new music, and I have to say as I’ve gotten older I’ve started to love full orchestral soundtracks.

171. andrewberkshire says:

I didn’t go but a few of my friends did, they said it was awesome. I would have loved to see Arcade Fire.

172. Jordio-oh says:

I went. And Arcade Fire absolutely killed it.

Other notables: Black Keys, Morning Benders, Japandroids, Pavement, Owen Pallet, Bahamas, and Snoop Dogg (yes, thats right)

173. likehoy says:

arcade fire was mind numbing! so much energy i really enjoyed it!

174. andrewberkshire says:

I figured it was a joke! How’s that for a job though? Good, or do you have to listen to too much crap music?

175. Adam says:

It’s a pretty damn good job, at least for the moment – my long term ambition is to be a “real” reporter.

You get to hear a lot of stuff, but you kind of have to turn off the “fan” part of your brain and try everything objectively. I’ve given positive reviews to stuff I would normally hate because it’s good for what it is. Like Lady Gaga – I’m not big on dance pop, but as far as that stuff goes, I think she’s terrific.

The big upside is you get to meet a lot of interesting people. I’m on a high right now: this morning I interviewed Steven Adler from Guns’N Roses, which is kind of like getting to ask Jesus Christ a few questions for a rock’n roll fan.

176. Bill says:

It’s hard to believe Lidstrom is 40. Truly ageless.

Full Breezer 4 Life

177. Max_a_million says:

When the Stanley Cup winning goaltender can’t be traded and is subsequently dropped at less than 3 million, it makes you think PG pulled off a hell of deal getting Eller and Schultz for Halak.

Not to mention how many complained about the timing, and playing out the string to increase the payout.  It seems as though the payout would have diminished if Niemi was out there increasing the supply of young goaltenders available.  It seems like PG’s time was just about perfect.

”Last season we couldn’t win at home and we were losing on the road. My failure was that I couldn’t think of any place else to play.” – Harry Neale

178. Bill J says:

Good post.

Agreed, had PG waited.  And the Blues had got wind of the intent to drop Niemi, Halak would never have fetched Eller & Schultz.

And I can only imagine the uprising that would have ensued.

179. Mr-T says:

What a absurd and downright stupid statement not to mention a very poor analogy. PG pulled off a hell of a deal and his timing was just about perfect is so far from even being conceivable it is incongruous in itself. ” Brilliance” and PG in the same sentence are incompatible. The only thing that could have occured had PG waited was that he would have received a much better return for Halak.

Support Carey Price      “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

Hell’s Bells by AC/DC is a friggin’ classic. I don’t know if Boone’s being sarcastic but I kind of doubt it considering he thinks the Grateful Dead is awesome.

181. SeriousFan09 says:

Right the **** on, AC/DC forever.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

182. Puck Bard says:

Niemi to Habs:  “besides the obvious flaws in logic and reason”Yes… Yes there are.

‘Samatter Boone, no ACDC for you? Give in a little.

Brian Johnson doing Sunday Girl; now that I’d like to see.

183. nickster13 says:

Who knows, maybe then we could have kept Halak

184. nickster13 says:

Is anyone else besides me a little dissapointed with Red Fisher’s article? He made Niemi sound like a superstar in the playoffs… i dont remember seeing a superstar, i only remember an average/above average goalie who did the minimum, so i think it was a good move, to save a few dollars in an easily replaceable position for them

185. Puck Bard says:

I’m with you (again) Nickster. Just didn’t want to get on a rant again about Fisher.

186. SeriousFan09 says:

Very disappointed indeed, it was the Chicago D that made the Cup happen well above Niemi.

I’ll say this right now, Antti Niemi will NEVER have a 7-shutout regular season without a D group like Chicago’s covering for him again.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

These individuals must learn that this is still a team sport, and there agents have to stop reading the press clippings and asking for the moon.

The day of asking for this crazy money is over. The cap has to be spread over the team more evenly if they are going to succeed. TEAM SPORT

I trust that Mike Boone is pulling our leg about the music provided by AC/DC. They surely have to be one of the top ten bands of all time.

Chicago has certainly paid a heavy price for signing Campbell and Huet.

189. Puck Bard says:

I wouldn’t be too sure. At the time, I found ACDC’s simplicity hard to take given all the directions “New Wave” was going.  It took me a good 10 years before I began to appreciate them. Suspect Boone might have the same ears.

HIO 2010 Fan Summit Updates–Nov.5,6,7. Itinerary listed on this link

Book your room at this # and tell them you are with Habs Inside Out Group or HIO to get the deal rate everyone.

The hotel  number for Novotel reservations is: 1-514-871-2138

Come out and meet your wonderful  HIO community, see you all in Montreal.!!

Price will also be playing in Europe if he does not get the picture about proving he is an NHL er first before demanding the big contract. Fortunately the big extortion days are slowly grinding to a halt now that the cap is starting to take hold.

There are a lot of good goal tenders out there willing to play behind one of the best shot blocking teams in the league. Just ask Halak. The boys helped him look very good indeed, and we were able to move him for some decent assets.

Summit Game Tickets—Send Money Order to Reserve Them  CLICK HERE

192. nickster13 says:

Let’s give credit where credit is due, halak is a solid keeper.

193. HabFanSince72 says:

Fortunately the big extortion days are slowly grinding to a halt

No hope of that. The owners will still push ticket prices to the max.

All the cap means is the money goes to the owners instead of the players.

194. Mr-T says:

What an intuitive thinker you are. Maybe it would be prudent to evaluate what they are capable of at the NHL level before you quantify their market value. In your analysis you seemed to have left out the fact that he helped the boys look very good also.

Support Carey Price       “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

195. nickster13 says:

I know, i hated that rant too, it was unjust, i dont think Red is over the hill or not a good writer or anything, i just really didnt agree with his buttering up of Niemi and making it sound like it was fact

I am not saying he is not a solid keeper. I am saying that the price tag for these many keepers is about half what their agents want. Lots of solid keepers out there that are willing to play for a million, including me.!

Absolutely correct 09—Good defensive play gives shooters poorer angle shots. Ask Halak and watch his game go for a dump this year. Good tender yes, but it is still a team sport.

198. HabFanSince72 says:

Niemi was outstanding against the Sharks. San Jose actually dominated in shots and scoring chances in three of the four games.

Team sport, play for each other is the name of the game. Spreading the cap more evenly through out the line up is the way to go.