Here’s your mask, what’s your hurry?

Red Fisher on the Hawks walking away from a Stanley Cup-winning goaltender

* James Mirtle: Hawks pay the price of success

• A story on the league’s web site lists Montreal as a possible destination for Antti Niemi.

• ESPN Chicago on the Turco signing

Seguin signs

Brian Gionta highlight reel (warning: crap music)

yocGJKaGKf4

• Another hard name to spell in at least six game stories: Buffalo signs Shaone Morrisonn

Sabres waive Tim Kennedy

Mike Modano to join the Wings

Updated FA list

• THN’s Ken Campbell on the great Nicklas Lidstrom

Obama will attend a Caps game

• HabsWatch has done an exhaustive study, Crisis in the Q

1. ZepFan2 says:

Well he could have lied because he’s pissed at Habs management for trading Halak. lol

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

2. observer says:

Favre is not returning? Believe it or not?

3. RGM says:

I’ve loved this team for close to 30 years now. Cripes I’m getting old.

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

4. Mattyleg says:

I ask myself the same question, dude.

Then again, there is a huge proportion of people who are not happy unless they are complaining. Ask anyone in the service industry.

And I’m sure you’ll get lots of responses in which people try to justify their moaning negativity. But it’s just all hot air, as far as I’m concerned.

It’s depressing, but I’m glad it’s not me!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

5. Curtoph says:

There is no story with interest in Niemi, it was simply http://www.NHL.com listing teams who might need a goalie. Montreal was on the list only because they thought it was a good thing to say Price hasn’t been the #1 goalie yet or some thing like that.

6. HabFanSince72 says:

in MTL we’d be burning up the city.

Didn’t we burn up the city after winning like game 6 against the Caps?

7. Storm Man says:

Im happy to hear Eller is taking french lessons shows he want to be a big part of the team and the city. It is funny to me that the H-Word never took french lessons hmmmmmm guess he did not care as much about been part of the city and team as some what to think so he got what he wanted in the end.

8. mike g says:

Hey, I never said it’s the best story ever published…

All I said was it’s a nice take on a given situation. With a few of my friends, we’ve been talking about Vanek lately, and how he’s been nothing close to that incredible sophmore performance. His 7 million dollar salary for 7 years is totally rediculous, and there’s no sign of him ever playing up to the contract.

So all I’m saying is that it’s pretty crazy that the Sabres refused FOUR 1st round picks for this guy. Someone in the Sabres organization must have really loved, or still love, Vanek.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

9. ed lopaz says:

I believe its a true story – the source had no reason to lie.

10. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I’m pretty sure Price and PG have a contract already worked out and ready for ink.  Price is on vacation,  he doesn’t want to spend his day’s doing interviewes with every hack Quebec journalist and other media outlets,  he wants to relax and do some off ice training.  As Hickey eluded to they will announce the signing shortly before the golf tournie and Carey will face the media.  People need to chill.

11. sanj91 says:

I’d be really interested to see some statistics on how many players who opt for arbitration actually end up staying with that team long term. My guess would be that most bolt after the one or two year arbitration contract…

“When a homeless guy knows his hockey, you know you’re in Montreal” – Hal Gill

12. ZepFan2 says:

Yup, that he is.

Unfortunately, my (wrist) is not as salvageable.

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

13. G-Man says:

When Gomez was traded for, the future captain arrived. Having him wait a year was kind of lame, but…

14. TorontoHabsFan says:

I like the likely fake story about the Habs having interest in Niemi. A subtle reminder to Price’s agent that there are other options available. Like Niemi, and *cough* Theodore. It has the potential to drive down Price’s salary or shift towards a term that’s more favourable for management.

15. punkster says:

Come on Mike, that’s nothing but a “if pigs had wings” article submitted by a writer facing a deadline with nothing substantial to show for his 3 week holiday. You could likely make up one of these for every contract signing or trade ever made in NHL history. Entertainment for sure, hockey analysis not so much.

FREE TIMO!

16. Mr-T says:

I am sure there are a lot of indigent people that are sympathetic that you have to work under such deplorable conditions for “minimum wage”. If they could only be so fortunate.

Support Carey Price      “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

17. joeybarrie says:

Paul Mara type players are how these young and inexperienced DR’s. get the experience needed to become excellent. Mara aint getting the same guy we trust MARKOV too… He should have gone to NY and seen DR. Hank Lawson… I hear he is pretty good…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

18. PeterStone says:

Dr Harvey is an amazing doctor.  I shattered my wrist in multiple (26) pieces , and he put it back together.

19. Mattyleg says:

For sure. But like you said… they’re not very smart.

I just hate the idea of that ‘job’. What a joke career.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

20. madcap_habsfan says:

i love p.k. too and i think he’ll be amazing for us and maybe one day he’ll be our captain, but it’ll take more  then one full season for him to gain the experience he’ll need

21. SeriousFan09 says:

Niemi doesn’t make ‘the save’ as often as you think, watched the Blackhawks a lot last season and he had a number of unimpressive performances. Keith, Campbell, Seabrook and Hjalmarsson cleaned up a ton of garbage around his net that could have cost the Hawks the NSh, VAN and PHI series if he’d not had them saving his rear end. Niemi wasn’t a Conn Smythe candidate in these playoffs like Dryden was when he arrived in ’71 either. Niemi blew saves in the post-season as well, NSH/CHI goaltending duel was close to being as bad as the PHI/CHI Finals.

Even if Turco can’t ‘win it all’, he’s not here to bring them to a Cup, CHI will find someone else, this is a rebuilding year and they need to manage the cap, play competitively and win enough to keep on the fans they just won over. Niemi can be replaced if necessary, he wasn’t their saviour and they needed the cap space for their preferred forwards.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

22. habaddict_andy says:

Second opinion, everybody does that wether your in Canada or not.

23. madcap_habsfan says:

please tell me you’re being a “silly sally” again..otherwise i may have to cry

24. Clay4bc says:

Well then…a rebuttal is in order.

Since you are having trouble figuring it out…we did not improve our team one bit by this trade. In fact, we made it worse by a good margin, as we are now very weak in arguably the single most important position in hockey – goaltending. Add to that the fact that this team was last place in even strangth scoring last season, that’s a recipe for disaster, being as how we did nothing to address the scoring issues. Eller may be good for 15 goals next season – if he makes the team. Metropolit had more than that. So did MAB. So that’s a huge net loss in scoring as well.

Why did we “have to toss the dice one way or another”? And if it was one way, why not make it the way that sees you keep the better goalie? And don’t give me “the cap” as an answer, because right now we could afford Halak’s salary.

__________________________

Carey Price killed my dog.

25. mike g says:

Good points..

I agree.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

26. ZepFan2 says:

I’ll ask my Dr. the next time I see him if that’s a true story.

My Dr. is Ed Harvey . He should be privy to that info.

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

27. mike g says:

‘Sup boys….

Was just clicking around on the net and found this nice article on Fox Sports. Very interesting take on the Sabres, and what could have been if they woulda let Vanek go to the Oilers…

Someone in Buffalo must be fired because of this, because in MTL we’d be burning up the city.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

28. madcap_habsfan says:

i think however some agents don’t nesscesarily take just the players interest into account, you said yourself many players(not all of course) aren’t that bright when it comes to the contract and money issues, so who’s to say certain(not all but some) agents don’t take advantage of that fact to make a few more bucks for themsleves?

29. ed lopaz says:

Turco does not have a history of winning the key games when his team needs it.

Turco does not make the huge save when it is needed.

No matter how good your defence is, and I saw the Habs Robinson, Savard, Lapointe for years in front of

Dryden, no matter how good they were, Dryden STILL NEEDED TO COME UP BIG AT LEAST A COUPLE OF TIMES

EVERY GAME.

If you face 25 shots or 50, you could still face the same 3 or 4 EXCELLENT scoring chances, and the goalies

need to make those KEY saves.

Defense can NOT stop the other team from getting 0 chances

Defence can only HELP TO LIMIT the chances.

however, because so few goals are scored, it only takes 1 or 2 BLOWN SAVES, and the best defence will lose.

that’s the way the game is played.

it has not changed in the last 18 months.