Here’s something for Habs fans to celebrate

Canadiens fans didn’t have much to feel good about following a 4-3 season-opening loss to Toronto Tuesday night at the Bell Centre that included enforcer George Parros being carried off the ice on a stretcher following a fight with the Maple Leafs’ Colton Orr.

Parros, who suffered a concussion, was released from hospital Wednesday morning and will be out of the Habs lineup indefinitely.

But here’s something Habs fans can celebrate: Thursday marks the 60th anniversary of Jean Béliveau signing his first contract with the Canadiens (photo above).

It was the beginning of an illustrious Hall of Fame career that would see Béliveau win 10 Stanley Cups as a player and then another seven as a Habs vice-president.

“It was always my dream to play for Canadiens, even for the two or three years I didn’t want to sign,” Béliveau told The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs on Tuesday. “Now it’s been 60 years?”

And he laughed.

“Maybe I wasn’t looking that far ahead that day.”

The Canadiens had a day off Wednesday and will practise Thursday afternoon in Lac-Mégantic as they prepare for Saturday’s game against the Philadelphia Flyers at the Bell Centre.

(Photo: David Bier Studios, Gazette files)

Béliveau celebrates 60 years as a Hab, by Dave Stubbs

Time for a renewed debate about fighting, by Pat Hickey

Former NHL tough guys don’t see a problem with fighting, by Brenda Branswell

Parros released from hospital, montrealgazette.com

Parros injury a dumb accident by an intelligent goon, nationalpost.com

There must be a better way to police the ice, nationalpost.com

Some NHL GMs say it’s time to lose fighting, TSN.ca

One more fight is too many, Sportsnet.ca

Habs’ Parros thanks fans on Twitter for their support, Stu on Sports blog

SUMMIT INFORMATION

There are about 160 of us going to the Hall Of Fame Tour at the Bell Center Sat. 10:15am. You already have your tickets!

Bell Center request to me is,– how many of us want to go to the Bell Center Tour for a special price of $6, right after the H of F tour. Please let me know who wants to go ASAP, so we can book you in.
    Anyone can come.

2. I, for one, am fed-up with celebrating the past when there is little to celebrate about the recent (read 21 years) of lackluster, pushed around history. I want to celebrate our team NOW and not be run out of the forum because I’m not blindly bobbing my head up and down and being a “good” fan.

The Ottawa series was enough to make any fan gag.

The last 10 games of last years season were worse than watching a middling team play .500 hockey in 2011-12. This team isn’t making a cup run any time soon. As a lifelong fan, I get that.

Great history? Yes. Enough to keep me engaged in current games and our current team when any night it might be embarrassing to be a Habs fan? Not sure. Can’t imagine how Panthers fans or Leafs fans have put up with it for so long…

Let level heads prevail, but I’d rather be reading Red’s honest comments about the holes in the Canadiens line-up.

• habs1992 says:

Ya I agree as a younger fan this history of things that happened 60 years ago is starting to get real old, I mean what new history have we made nothing, Im all for celebrating the past to a point but we have to make our own history for right now.

I support Carey Price
      “Habs Insider”

• John Q Public says:

As long as the seats are filled to capacity nothing will change except the perception that they are building a winner.
      Money talks bullshit walks.

3. Luke says:

Ah Man! I used the B@nned word in a post and it was B@nned. Dang. Good post too.

4. joshua94k says:

Do you think Patrick Roy would stand by idle watching the Leafs get twice the power-play opportunities. Would he quietly watch Prust get an extra two minute penalty making the Canadiens short-handed with less than 5 minutes to play.

Would he let his Norris trophy winner sit on the bench while the team had to kill a penalty.

Too bad the Habs passed him by and opted for Therrien instead.
    ————————-
    DENVER — Patrick Roy was fuming after the final horn, jawing at the Anaheim Ducks and then pushing over a glass partition separating the benches.

And all that was after a win.

————————————–
    “I want to kill somebody cutting across the blue line and I want to score the goal and celebrate. And I’ll do it by any means possible to win a hockey game. That’s how I feel playing there (the Bell Centre). I am not sure I have that feeling anywhere else.” – PK Subban

• Danno says:

It’s an 82-game season. While it’s understandable why he got upset in this instance, Roy still runs the risk of losing credibility and respect if he can’t control his temper.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Yup Josh, that is one of a number of problems with the team that have to get solved before we are a true Cup contender, not to mention the perennially awful reffing which doesn’t seem to have any solution.

MT won’t be here next year. He was hired on a two year contract to help with the young guys.

Price? I’m tired of his supporters and his detractors. Bottom line is he isn’t a Vezina trophy winner and may never be. His head doesn’t seem to be in that category. He has the skills. He is athletic, but I can’t get his cowboy hat demeanor out of my head. Roy he isn’t, which isn’t bad either as Roy is a hot-head.

Smurfs? Need to say goodbye to DD, Gionta, Frankie, Diaz (still Swiss cheese), thank Markov, but let him go, Drewiske (taking up valuable space) shall I go on? This is not a team like Chicago.

Sigh!

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• Landof10000lakesHab says:

Patrick Roy was a terrific goaltender, a Hockey Hall of Famer, and I personally enjoyed his passionate tending efforts in both 86 & 93, but as a prospective Habs coach, GM, or VP – not a chance.

Great Habs of the past such as Jean Béliveau – one thinks of words such as humble, class, & respect. These are not words that quickly spring to mind when Roy’s name is mentioned. If the Habs had an on-ice product that was at or near bottom of the NHL for several consecutive years, and ownership wanted to employ theatre to distract fans from the losing, then bring in a Patrick Roy. This is what is happening today in Colorado and not so long ago in Toronto. Thankful the Habs are not in that situation.

5. krob1000 says:

Check out Patrick Roy..in his debut nonetheless…..passion never dies I guess!

• Kooch7800 says:

They tried to knee his best rookie. Roy needs to show restraint though. He would have never lasted in Montreal as a coach

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

6. Hobie Hansen says:

Hopefully people heard Paul Maurice last night on TSN. He’s fresh off a year of coaching in the KHL where players receive a game misconduct for fighting.

Maurice says because of that rule, he was more scarred behind the bench than he ever was behind an NHL bench. He stated that he saw so much hitting from behind, stick work and cheap shots that it was downright ugly.

• habs1992 says:

Yep I know but some people just don’t understand the consequences when you get rid of something that has been in the game as long as the goal.

I support Carey Price
      “Habs Insider”

• Luke says:

Some people don’t understand the consequences when you allow 215 pound men bare knuckle punch each other in the head while standing on a sheet of ice.

Racism’s been in hockey since the goal, too… wanna keep that?

• Hobie Hansen says:

The consequences are much less with fighting than without. Take away fighting and instead you’ll have people losing their temper and sticking out a knee, swinging a stick or sending someone face first into the boards.

• Luke says:

All of those already happen with fighting in the game.

If I may quote the great philosophers of our time:

Homer Simpson: Not a bear in sight. The Bear Patrol must be working like a charm.
            Lisa Simpson: That’s specious reasoning, Dad.
            Homer: Thank you, dear.
            Lisa: By your logic I could claim that this rock keeps tigers away.
            Homer: Oh, how does it work?
            Lisa: It doesn’t work.
            Homer: Uh-huh.
            Lisa: It’s just a stupid rock.
            Homer: Uh-huh.
            Lisa: But I don’t see any tigers around, do you?
            [Homer thinks of this, then pulls out some money]
            Homer: Lisa, I want to buy your rock.
            [Lisa refuses at first, then takes the exchange]

• Hobie Hansen says:

Watch all those things increase by at least double if fighting is gone.

• Luke says:

I say they decrease by at least 97%.

But you show your math first…

• Cal says:

It’s the KHL. Most of those players are ECHL and AHL quality. They need to update their rulebook and kick out those players that hit from behind, the stick work and the cheap shots.

• Kooch7800 says:

Hitting from behind could be less frequent if they actually handed out 5 minute penalties for it instead of a 2 minute boarding call. PHanuef should have got five the other night. If you want to change something the officials need to call it consistently and properly

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Cal says:

Totally agree. Hitting from behind is too dangerous to allow. 2 minutes for attempt to injure like that is too much of a joke to be a deterrent.

• Kooch7800 says:

The NHL is really dumb about certain things. I know when I played as a kid they always called 5 minutes so you thought about it when you were going in and someone turned

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Bill says:

Well, Maurice has his own agenda, but I’m not sure which NHL he’s watching, because when I watch the NHL, I see so much hitting from behind, stick work, and cheap-shots that it is downright ugly. One thing you can’t say about fighting is that it prevents cheap-shots and injuries, because they happen every game.

When Marc Savard got knocked out of hockey by Matt Cooke’s cheap elbow, Savard’s linemate was Milan Lucik. Didn’t deter Cooke. Just one example among thousands.

Paul Maurice is looking for a job as with a team, with a network, or with the NHL. He’s not gonna rock the boat with some controversial statement. He’s gonna throw out some dumb old Don Cherry lie that without fighting there’s less respect in the game.

PS: Tell Alexei Emelin there’s no fighting in the KHL.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Hobie Hansen says:

Not true at all Bill. Fighting curves the cheap and dirty play, big time. Take it out and you’ll see twice the amount of what you’re seeing now.

And your comment on Maurice is total hogwash btw. And if you think he’s biased or auditioning for a job, which is BS, you’ll find 10,000 current and former players, coaches and GMs to say the same thing.

• Luke says:

Fighting didn’t stop Emelin from Breaking a stick across Seguin, or from Cooke & Richards headhunting the neutral zone for years.

You could even say that Fighting (or the decision not to fight) was directly responsible for McSorely chopping Brashear in the head or Bertuzzi cold-cocking Scott Moore.

It’s also worth recalling that Scott Moore had already fought previously in that game. His biggest error was winning the fight.

Fighting doesn’t prevent cheap or dirty play.

Look at Kaleta: Fighting, and his regular linemate John Scott, enable his cheap and dirty play.

• Hobie Hansen says:

There always a few meatballs who are willing to risk their own well being, a la Matt Cooke, and take a serious beating in order to cheap shot a star player.

I’m telling you, if there’s no fighting, Nazim Kadri is whacking, slashing and cheap-shotting Brandon Prust all night. Will he get a penalty, probably not or once out of ever 5 times he does something.

Kadri would never do that now because he knows Prust will drop the gloves and pound the crap out of him. That’s one small example.

Fighting keeps the game in check, trust me. Or don’t trust me, listen to all the professionals!

• Ron says:

Hobie, did you see Kadri taking the cheap shots at Gallagher or Eller this time around, I didn’t.

• Bill says:

Edit: moved this to new page in hopes of reaching Hobie.

• habsguy says:

agree 100 % with you, every team has a goon sitting on the end of the bench, still there are cheap shots all the time…..there is far too much Don Cherry thinking by hockey fans !!!

7. awesomerino says:

“Here’s something for Habs fans to celebrate”

Nostalgia? Sweet, we never get to celebrate that!

8. boing007 says:

Watched some of the Avalanche game last night. One special offer to their fans was a package of 4 tickets, 4 something to eat, 4 something to drink, all for just $99 dollars.

Richard R

9. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Staged fights should be stopped. Any player dropping the gloves, even for a legitimate fight, should have a game misconduct. If a staged fight occurs, game misconduct plus 3-game suspension. A bit like a red card in football.

If we can have hybrid icing we can have hybrid fighting.

10. Kooch7800 says:

God I can’t wait til Saturday and hopefully we win so we can talk about something else.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• TMan1969 says:

Amen to that – I thought the game went fairly well, except for the third until Eller scored…then les guy started to work again. Stanley Cup in the cards..honestly…nah, but they’ll take a good run towards it..EGG line rules!

Do not scorn a weak cub. He may become the brutal tiger.

Mongolian Proverb

The fighting discussion sure is a divisive one and I think it shows how passionate many of us are about the game we love that we can discuss this issue ad nauseam. While it is imperative that the fans speak out to help generate change, it will come down to the Owners/GM’s and Players Union to make change at the NHL level. Perhaps with Yzerman, Rutherford, Shero and Bowman voicing their opinions things can begin to change, but at the exact same time each network covering hockey has their blowhorns preaching the opposite. Last night on TSN Aaron Ward and Bob McKenzie were passionately preaching the merits of fighting, while Paul Maurice endorsed in a less passionate way.

Unfortunately, the media will also be a big part of causing change, and for now it seems the only media willing to ask for change are more of the fringe reporters and not the hardcore hockey covering media. It is going to be a long time until we see any change, and that was evidenced by Colon Campbell’s statement yesterday where he said they see no reason to make any changes to rules as it pertains to fighting.

Perhaps bodies have to leave the ice on stretchers in arena’s outside of Montreal before we see such much motivation for the league offices to change their views/stance.

Anyways, i am glad Hockey is back on and hopefully our Habs rebound from the opening loss much the same way they did last year.

So, who comes in White or Bournival?

• habs1992 says:

98% players keep it in, Until they want it gone, Fighting is here to stay. And I will enjoy it while it is here.

I support Carey Price
      “Habs Insider”

• Cal says:

As long as you or one of your loved ones isn’t on the receiving end of a fist it’s fine, right?

• The Jackal says:

There’s many angles from which to look at the issue of fighting, and it is very violent and dangerous, and loved ones are probably a little worried at times, but I think at the end of the day, if they players accept the risk and their loved ones are fine with it, then it should be their decision. But then again I don’t know how strongly I believe that, it could be better for the sport and players’ health to just remove it, but it does serve a pressure-release valve at times that can help to defuse emotional and angry situations.

• Cal says:

I don’t agree with the “safety valve” argument.
            There have always been rats in the game precisely because the league ensures its officiating is a joke. The rule book for the NHL was written as a farcical attempt to make it seem that the owners and board of governors actually give a sh-t about the players. They don’t. The only thing they understand is dollars.
            The NHL would only grow as a consequence of ridding the game of fighting.
            I know many parents who won’t let their sons or daughters even contemplate taking up hockey because of what they see during NHL games. This reduction in participation may eventually force the NHL’s hand.

• habs1992 says:

Nope, I disagree, everyone know’s the risk that is involved in fighting. My family or not.

I support Carey Price
          “Habs Insider”

• Phil C says:

Whatever, once the owners want it gone, its gone.

• The Jackal says:

While I am not for fighting, I do acknowledge that it is part of the sport in its current form and that it serves a function that can be crucial at times. For that reason, I think we should have tough guys, etc.

Another thing that is important to note is that while fighting and goons have been linked to mental problems due to brain trauma, the fact remains that a majority of players, coaches, and GMs want to keep fighting in the game. I think on this issue what these guys have to say carries a lot more weight than what the fans think. It is their players’ association and their league, and if the players accept the risks of fighting and still want it, then that should ultimately be the league’s call.

• habs1992 says:

Probably the best thing you have ever written, well done.

I support Carey Price
        “Habs Insider”

• The Jackal says:

Thanks, but I will never be as great as Timo, I can only try to reach his legendary status in the HIO streets.

• Phil C says:

Make no mistake, the NHL cares about what fans think. Right now, most fans want fighting, many are indifferent, and a minority are against fighting. If the majority of fans get fed up with it, it would be gone pretty fast I think.

• mrhabby says:

I heard the players want fighting to stay but the staged fights should not be allowed.

• TMan1969 says:

…me, I would go with Bournival just to see how he plays and rest Markov then play Beaulieu or maybe play Beaulieu with Markov (good teacher)…the fighting debate will go on as long as there is fighting and there will always be fighting until something bad happens (death). Parros played pretty well that night and when Orr grabbed his shirt (when he got knocked down) there was nothing to be done. But we would all be foolish to think that if you removed the “fighters” that there would be no fighting – hockey is passion and when the fire is ablaze someone is going to get burned…

Do not scorn a weak cub. He may become the brutal tiger.

Mongolian Proverb

• The Jackal says:

I like that Beaulieu and Markov idea.
        Personally, I say we roll with Beaulieu and Tinordi, assuming Beaulieu is ready for the NHL. I’d rather we break two rookies in and live with the mistakes than live with the other guys’ mistakes for way less return in both the near and long-term.

12. Sportfan says:

So Patrick Roy…

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

13. s33saw says:

As a change of pace from all this talk of fighting. Who do you think will be the most impressive young defenseman this year? Disclaimer: I will fully use the information I gather here in my fantasy league.

I’m thinking Trouba > Murray > Jones

Thoughts?

• Habfan10912 says:

It’s early yet but could you put Tinordi in there as well? Before the season I’d have picked Jones.

• s33saw says:

You know what? I thought about it…I’m just worried he won’t play enough games. All his fighting PIMs and hits would do wonders in my league. In case anyone is curious / for any of the fantasy gurus out there, league is based on goals, assists, +/-, PIMS, PPP, SHG, SOG, HIT, BLK with goalies having W, GA, SV, SHO. In a 14 player league I think I have a pretty solid team:

C: Getzlaf / M. Koivu / Hanzal
        RW: Callahan / Brown / Vrbata / Chiasson
        LW: Pacioretty / E. Kane / Perron
        D: Subban / Doughty / Bogosian / Schenn/ Bieksa / R. Murray
        G: Quick / Thomas

• Maritime Ronn says:

Jonas Brodin-20 years old-Minnesota Wild

14. habs1992 says:

Playing Tuesday then having 3 full days off to start the year, is about as stupid as taking fighting out.

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

15. Maritime Ronn says:

Re the Fighting issue.

There is certainly a way to change the game slowly and methodically that would drastically reduce Fighting Majors, and perhaps down the road, quite possibly make it a rare occasion and a heat of the moment reaction thingy.

Step 1 is to get rid of the “Staged Fight” that has NO place in the game, and make both the player and team suffer consequences.

What do the numbers say?
    Last year, there were a total of 708 Major Penalties.
    A minute number of those Majors were for something other than fighting.

Of that number, only 38 players accounted for a total of 302 Majors.
    These same 38 registered between 6-14 Majors and several would be included in the Goon Stage Fight List.

* 38 players, or 4.5% of the 839 players that played an NHL game last year, accounted for 42.6% of ALL Major Penalties.

The answer to begin with is to Isolate that 4.5%.

I do not know how the penalties could be applied for the “Staged Fight” yet there has to be something more serious for both the player and team.

Ex:
    1st Stage Fight: Game Misconduct + 5 game suspension and the team cannot fill the roster spot.
    2nd Staged Fight: Game Misconduct + 10 game suspension and the team cannot fill the roster spot.
    3rd Staged Fight: Game Misconduct + 20 game suspension and the team cannot fill the roster spot(s)

If a team tries to get around the rule by using more than 1 Stage Fighter (Leafs-Orr/McLaren) it is still easy to police. The increasing severity applies to the number of Stage Fights by team.

The NHL cannot change in a day, yet if this applied, GMs around the League would have to take a long hard look at the make-up of their rosters.

Their use of a roster spot for a player that that cannot play and could cost his team a precious roster spot for 5-20 games could possibly eliminate the Goon only player.
    The rest may just take care of itself once this is gone.

• Cal says:

Good idea, there. My solution is simpler.
      Any and all fighting, including roughing: 2 mins unsportsmanlike, 5 minute major foul, game misconduct. Then, a minimum 3 game suspension. Team fine of $100K added to the loss of pay to that player. Coach gets fined $50K.
      I have a feeling fighting would be stopped in its stupid tracks.

However, until the league actually grows a pair and does something, the Habs must have a “player” like this.

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi Cal

I may be wrong, yet it would be difficult to do a quick and drastic change.
        Some teams have been built that way and there are contracts to be considered.
        It could be accomplished out over a 2-3 year period because the Staged Fighter is rarely tied up in a contract that is over 2 years.

• Strummer says:

Most of the goons are paid minimal salaries so they could be bought out easily especially with the cap rising.

Edit- they could do one-time goon-compliance-buy-out without cap implications.
          ______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• habsguy says:

you can’t penalize the player for doing his job, make the organization accountable, how about taking away draft picks !!!

• Tharsis says:

That was a well reasoned analysis and the numbers speak volumes. I agree that the staged fight is ridiculous, but I have to wonder how would you establish a staged fight versus a non-staged fight?

You can’t take out staged fighting but leave in the ‘heat of the moment’ fight…that leaves too much room for interpretation, which is not what the NHL rulebook needs more of. Plus it is a little discriminatory against the 4.5%.

It has to be all or nothing. A game misconduct for any fighting regardless of the player.

———————————-

Fate leads the willing, and drags along the reluctant.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Good point, yet the referees and guys like Shanahan know exactly how a staged fight transpires.
        They could set the tone, give examples and reserve the right to immediately add to the definition if some guys try and get around things.

The danger of an automatic Game misconduct comes when a marginal player – not a staged fight goon, decides to drop the gloves with a Crosby style player.
        That’s a trade off any coach would take.

• Tharsis says:

Yeah, it is still too much wiggle room though. I guess if the NHL were to take fighting seriously though, they would have to clean house of all the cronyism and actually get people that are willing to adjudicate.

As for the goon purposefully trying to take out the star player by engaging in a fight, perhaps it could just be the instigator that gets the game misconduct. But then you need clearly defined rules for what constitutes instigation.

It is tricky, because in order to deal with the fighting issue, you really need to get rid of all the old school mentality, which is not easy.

———————————-

Fate leads the willing, and drags along the reluctant.

• Maritime Ronn says:

….Brian Burke isn’t going away any time soon, and neither is Carlyle, or Holmgren or the Nealy lead Boston gang or the Buffalo and Columbus guys

16. Rad says:

I saw Jake Trouba play Tuesday night against the Oilers in their home opener. This kid is going to be an all-star in this league. He led all skaters in ice time with 25 minutes as a 19 year old rookie playing defense in his first NHL game. Played more minutes than Byfuglien, Bogosian, or Enstrom, and was on the ice in the last minute of the game with the Jets protecting a 1-goal lead.

17. Habfan10912 says:

And because I believe in debate here is a pro fighting article.

18. Maksimir says:

My two cents:

This season offence will be fine, we are going to suffer on defense…

Habs should have picked up Fistric in the offseason and jettisoned Boullion. Not that I don’t like the Cube.. but I think Fistric would be better on the PK and moving guys out of the crease. Plus at 6’3″ 234lbs – he fulfills the ‘moar-bigger’ requirement plus he’s 27 years old, and cheaper at $900K. Oh well…

• Habfan10912 says:

Maksimir – I think we need to provide room for our youngsters to fill positions such as Frankie B’s. I agree with you that are offense will be fine but the weak link is our blueline. Markov doesn’t look like he has much left. Diaz appears to be a powerplay specialist lacking NHL defensive skills. Frankie B is, well getting long in the tooth. When Emelin comes back that should help but Price will need to bail this group out if the team is to make the playoffs.

19. adamkennelly says:

anybody see the Lupul Schenn scrap from last night? anyone think its just by chance that Lupul tried to pull Schenn forward hard by his jersey on the way down?

just a fluke that it happened in 3 fights with the same team?

Me thinks Orr has been tutoring the lads.

dirty fakers.

20. Hobie Hansen says:

Looking at the schedule, we don’t play Boston, Toronto or Ottawa until November. As a result, the Habs can probably get away without having a super heavyweight in the lineup for now. There’s a chance things could get wild against Edmonton, Calgary or Anaheim but I think we should be OK.

But guess what, Frazer McLaren and Colton Orr will be going straight at Jarred Tinordi for beating up and breaking Carter Ashton’s nose the next time the Leafs and Habs face off. Both Orr and McLaren have the ability to one punch somebody and knock them out cold. I’ve seen both of them do it on a few occasions.

Is there a possibility that even with George Parros or another big tough guy in the lineup that the Toronto goons still get their hands on Tinordi, sure.

However, the odds that Orr tries to grab Tinordi and a scrum ensues, gets broken up, and Parros fights Orr a few minutes later is more likely, if Parros is in the lineup.

Some people, rather naive people if you ask me, think the Habs should just turn the other cheek and play some hockey. Unfortunately that doesn’t work, especially in the division the Habs play in. Teams like Toronto, Boston and Ottawa have zero problem with putting a regular season game at risk to send a message or get their revenge. If the Habs don’t fight back, which I’m sure they will, someone is going to get sucker punched (Rene Bourque) or be on the receiving end of a cheap shot (Max Pacioretty).

So the answer is simple, if Parros isn’t healthy soon, and the Habs don’t bring in another super heavyweight, you’re going to have Tinordi fighting Orr, McLaren, Chara, Lucic, Scott, Thornton, Neal and Kassian.

• rhino514 says:

Tinordi can back off, why do you think he would be obliged to fight?
      everyone can back off. this is what i don´t get with the whole fighting thing. No one has to engage. If someone engages, let it be White, or Prust if he isn´t too banged up.
      No one can be goaded into a fight if they just decide not to.

• Hobie Hansen says:

If Tinordi decides not to fight, Orr or Lucic drops his glove, clocks Tinordi, knocks him out cold, gets thrown out of the game, maybe gets suspended and Tinordi is out 3 months with a concussion.

If Parros is in the lineup, Tinordi has to avoid that situation maybe once before Parros and the opposing player go at it. No Parros, then it’s open season, they’ll just keep coming and coming at Tinordi.

• The Jackal says:

No offense but that view is against what we’ve seen actually happens. Someone tries to avoid fighting and they get chased around the ice by a goon while using their stick to protect themselves, etc.

• Maksimir says:

I hate to say it but you are right…

• abhishek33 says:

There will always be examples of classless fans like that. I was watching the game at a bar in leaf nation, and was pretty disgusted at fans cheering when they showed replays of Parros hitting his head on the ice. But I also know a few leaf fans and they were telling me how bad it was to see something like that happen. It doesn’t help that the media is always looking to exaggerate a situation. Heck, I’m sure there are Habs fans that do stupid things and get picked up by media in other cities.

21. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning all. As we all wait for any logical argument for fighting in the NHL – although 1992 came the closest with his 7 fights, all victories – the main stream American press is ridiculing the game.

“I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out.” Yep, that’s growing the game. And don’t give me this crap about how revenues are up and the crowd stands on their feet during fights. Every friggin sports leagues revenue is up including roller derby and the crowd gets on their feet after a goal and great save as well. Ever been to a car accident? Structure fire? Biggest crowds I ever saw. People love those too as long as it’s not their car or home.

So if you’re anti fighting your labeled a Nancy by folks who act like tough guys behind their computers and reminisce or in some cases make up stories about their own accomplishments with their fist. But yet there has not been one single logical argument Pro fighting. It’s because none exist.

Fighting is tolerated only in the game because league and NHLPA does not want to take away jobs. What would Orr be doing for a living? Selling cars? Insurance agent? Policeman? He wouldn’t be playing hockey that’s for sure.

And what about our very own goon, Parros? What would he be doing. Smart guy, right? Teaching? Wall Street? Business man?

I’m baffled as heck where a check from behind or a hit to the head will get you a game misconduct and quite likely a suspension, but two goons can bare knuckle each others heads to their hearts content? How in the world does this make any sense to anyone with a brain?

Fighting devalues this game. It adds nothing but a circus/WWE like atmosphere to a game that does not need it.

Edit: Sorry for my tone. #blameburly

22. Rad says:

Bob Stauffer, the Oilers’ Radio Analyst, and in my opinion one of the best in the business, says that he thinks the Habs may put in a claim for Ben Eager. He says the Habs have had interest in Eager before, and have a need for grit with the injury to Parros.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Rad..there is an article on one site I read yesterday that says Eager has multiple concussions over the past couple of years and has been very reluctant to fight anylonger. He also takes many foolish penalties…..he did clear waivers a couple days ago. He doesn’t look like a practical fit to replace Parros or assume that role likely.

• Rad says:

Hi Just. I don’t think Eager can replace Parros on this team. Big George is one of the best in the league in that role. He is also very well-liked in the community and by his team mates. I was just conveying something that Stauffer said. As far as Eager goes, you are right, he doesn’t fight much any more, but still is a physical presence, and will take the body when he can. No concussions recently. He showed up at training camp this year having lost 20 lbs., seemed more determined and quicker on his feet. He would be a short term solution for the Habs, but would come at a hefty salary of $1.1M for the year. He is UFA at the end of the season.

23. Maritime Ronn says:

Saw some of the Leafs-Flyers game last night and Jonathan Bernier was superb.
    .969 SP – only 1 PP goal given up, several great saves at the right times, and a big time, important stop on a penalty shot when the game was tied 1-1.

Two very hungry goaltenders in Toronto both fighting it out to be the #1.
    Internal competition is always a good thing…
    The former 1st Round pick Bernier was had for a 2nd Round pick, a back up goalie in Scrivens, and what may or may not be a soon to be 26 year old, 2nd/3rd liner in Matt Frattin who is lucking out and playing with Richards/Carter to start the season.

• Rad says:

Good trade for Toronto. I think L.A. could have done better.

• Max says:

That’s what great goaltending will do for a team.A great goalie will steal games and make the saves that are virtually unsaveable.I wish we had goaltending like that.

• The Jackal says:

Ah yes, one game and Bernier is already a great goalie. And it’s as if we’ve never gotten goaltending like that from Price.
        Yawn.

• Max says:

It’s been awhile since Price played like Bernier last night.2 or 3 years I’d say.

Plus I said they got great goaltending not that Bernier is a great goaltender.

I think he will be better than Price in the long term.Much better.

Not that it’s hard to be better than Price mind you.

French chap to boot! When is that Fucale kid going to be ready?

• The Jackal says:

Well I think that’s a common misconception when looking at Price. Prior to last season he constantly stole games from us. He had a off year last year and even though we lost 4-3 last game, he played great and made huge saves, so did Reimer even though he let in 3. So we can’t really say that Price has not made great and timely saves for us in recent memory. And it sounded and awful lot like you were saying Bernier was great by virtue of that first game, so my bad there. But there is a tendency to ascribe that characteristic to goalies on other teams even though or goaltending is just as good.

• Bill says:

You’re being awfully nice to this nothing-to-say troll. You’re pretty nice to that Habs Insiderr kid too. I guess you’re just a hell of a nice guy.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• JO says:

Max – You’re missing the point. Bernier has a tough team in front of him and your not going to swarm his crease like price’s if you want to Do so it will be at your own risk! otherwise no cheap goals is going to happen he will be able to see most shots. Big difference.

Not to put Bernier down. Toronto made a good off season move to shore up their Goaltending along with a lot of other good moves. They shouldn’t have any problems making the playoffs and toughness along with good Goaltending some skilled players will prove once more that’s the way to go.

• Max says:

Bill,you are a tool sir.I made good points as did The Jackal.You are just trying to make friends and hurling insults at fellow posters.No need for that on here.

24. Danno says:

Maybe Patrick Roy should switch to decaf

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

Watching all the Leaf goals last night one thing in common was forwards going to the net and Flyer demon (D-men) standing around leaving forwards un-checked.

26. adamkennelly says:

I realize there are more important things for this team to worry about prolly but – if all the size and toughness you brought in over the last year are out of the line-up – shouldn’t you do something about it? Open season on Habs for the foreseeable future. I don’t think Parros is coming back anytime soon or at all.

Ben Eager will cause more problems then solve – not big enough to deal with Orr, Kassian, Lucic – etc…

Tarnasky will help but prolly need to go shopping.

27. HabsFansince49 says:

Isn’t it time the Habs stop living in the past? I am even tired of the torch ceremony because we invariably get our asses kicked in the real game. Speaking of reality, I watched the Leafs beat up (scoring and hitting) the Flyers last night. It will interesting watching Briere line up against Lecavalier on Sat. My money is on Lecavalier. And talk about stealing games. Bernier put on quite a show last night keeping the Leafs in the game until the senior citizens of Philadelphia tired in the third. At one point the Leafs went over 12 minutes without a shot on the Flyers net as Bernier stopped everything coming his way.

• Habfan10912 says:

Yeah I think it’s awful how they pay tribute to players like LaFleur. And while we’re at it can they stop showing Mr. and Mrs. Beliveau sitting in their seats. Better yet, make them sit up in the Molson section because they probably make the current players nervous. And those God awful banners hanging from the rafters. I bet Price looks at those during games and it makes him nervous. Take those suckers down. I’m thinking all of this is why we haven’t won a cup since 1993. We don’t need better players. We need fewer reminders of the past. Tremendous.

28. Mavid says:

Patrick Roy..hahaha…I thought it would be a couple of games in..but he did not make us wait..and against Bodreau who I cannot stand..wonderful stuff..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

29. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Interesting that the Habs lost a 4-3 game, and a fighter probably good for one goal a year. There is never a word about fixing scoring or defence- all focus is on replacing the goon. Why?
    Because the NHL is encouraging an arms race within divisions to bulk up and brawl. A few simple rule changes would solve the problem – five minute penalties, and a game misconduct for fighting – three games for instigating, automatic. A lot of guys would lose their jobs but the game could grow. It isn’t going to happen because gooning it up sells tickets. Younger fans don’t remember the roller derby days of the Broad Street bullies, when hockey was scarcely worth watching.
    98% of players want fighting. It makes sense. Guys like Parros, Orr, and Neal put themselves on the line to protect smaller or more skilled guys in the goon league. Would you go on the record to have such a team mate fired? Odds are, you like the guy. You want him to have a good job.
    Parros has a concussion and I hope he heals soon, and well. The guy is doing a job the market calls for, and he’s doing it for the team I support. When he hit the ice it was sickening. I feel for him. But he’s not why I would ban fighting. He makes his choices and makes a small fortune for them.
    Fighting in hockey slows the game down, just as clutching and grabbing and all the other wonders the NHL wants to bring back do. Fighting gets boring. A fight is actually the perfect time to go grab a beer.
    On a positive note, Therrien is doing his job to a degree since the DD/Drewiske/Gorges/Price hate seems to be falling on him now. Good stuff.

30. DuckDodgers says:

Well, history showed he tore a door off its hinges once.
    My relatives were buried by the Avalanche.

“May you live in interesting times.”

31. Maritime Ronn says:

Nathan MacKinnon: 6’0″-182. Turned 18 one month ago
    Alex Galchenyuk…: 6’1″-203. 19 years and 8 months old.

Very interesting how 2 different organizations offer opposite styles of opportunity and trust to the Top 2 Centers drafted during the past 2 years.

Last year, AG’s average time on ice was 12:19.
    Game 1 this year, a whopping increase to 13:14.
    All of this time playing on the Wing and not his natural C position.

So how did our dear Patrick Roy handle MacKinnon – the just turned 18 year old last month, in his very 1st NHL game?
    Try 15:31 of playing time including 1 minute short handed.

Not only that. MacKinnon was allowed to play his natural Center position.

Patrick Roy has no trouble making decisions.
    Last year, the Top 3 Centers on Colorado were they very talented Matt Duchene, Paul Stastny, and Ryan O’Reilly.
    What does St. Patrick do?
    He moves Ryan O’Reilly over to the right side to make room for MacKinnon at Center.

How did MacKinnon return the trust Patrick showed in him?
    How’s 2 assists and Plus+1 for the night in a 6-1 rout of the Ducks… and toss in a 3rd Star to boot.

All this nonsense about “protected minutes” and “veteran pecking order” only makes sense if the team is talent loaded and is a serious Cup contender…which the Habs are not at this specific moment.

Galchenyuk is a huge talent and his development at his natural Center position is being stalled because…..because what, and by whom?
    When Tavares or Stamkos arrived in the NHL at 18, they played their Center position immediately as did MacKinnon last night.

What is so special about the 3/ Top 9 Centers that Galchenyuk has to wait?

• DuckDodgers says:

Passion, Merrytimes!
      Who’s going to make it to elite team status sooner, Colorado or Edmonton?
      “Fail for Nail.”
      “Stop winnin’ for MacKinnon.”
      “Don’t save it for McDavid.”

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Cal says:

A 3-0 lead halfway through the game may have given Roy the opportunity to play MacKinnon more last night. Let’s see what happens in a tight game. Looks a lot like Varlamov was the hero in that game.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hi Cal
        One game doesn’t make a season and Patrick still has another 8 games to see if MacKinnon can handle the grind of the NHL as a just turned 18 year old.
        He had 7 shifts per period, but yes, he did have more time in the 3rd period at 6:39 vs, 3:11 in the 2nd and 5:41 in the 1st.

• port elgin says:

What if……St.Patrick was coach of the habs?

one can dream

• JO says:

port elgin – it wouldn’t make a difference. same team as last year and the so called tough guys are not as tough as a lot of people think. could say, injury prone tough guys.

• Rad says:

You make a good point in comparing Roy’s treatment of MacKinnon with Therrien’s treatment of Galchenyuk. Therrien often seems overly smug when questioned about Galchenyuk and other top players like Subban and Eller. Just as with Galchenyuk, how often have you heard Therrien say about Subban that he is still “learning and improving?” This is the Norris trophy winner we are talking about. Subban, Galchenyuk, Eller, and others are given less ice time than they warrant, while Therrien over-plays his favorites like Desharnais, Bouillion, Markov, and Gorges. Parallel to his patronizing attitude toward Subban, Galchenyuk, and Eller, Therrien is unduly the apologist when discussing the travails and foibles of Messrs. Desharnais and the rest. For example, he is way too quick to excuse Desharnais’ poor work for the entire shortened season last year by saying “he needs to be better,” while at the same time giving him increased (unjustified) ice time.

32. LizardKing1967 says:

Wow Boone. I thought I would never say this……
    Hockey needs fighting O.U.T.

WOW

*****************************************
    Drive for 25. 2013-2014. Gally for Conn Smyth.
    I BELIEVE!
    AG27 is the NEW AK27.

33. DuckDodgers says:

#Well, that de-escalated quickly.

34. third generation haber says:

Dear Mr. Bergevin,

I hate fighting, but it’s not going to go away. With Parros and Murray out of the lineup and Prust playing injured, it’s only a matter of time before young Tinordi gets jumped by a heavy-weight, or someone blindsides Galchenyuk.

If you don’t bring in Ben Eager (on waivers), or Joe Finley (on waivers last week) you are risking damaging one of our top prospects. At least, call up Tarnasky or Aliu from Hamilton.

We are playing in the heavy-weight division this season and the game plan against our tiny team will always be “hit everything that moves”.

I know u inherited this smurf mess from your predecessors, but you need to act now! Regardless of how we place this year, none of us want to see the future of our team getting their heads bashed in.

j.p. murray

35. NightRyder says:

On Saturday, Nov. 2, in Denver, Colo., Patrick Roy, viewed by all of us thanks to the CBC, will lose his marbles and lay the smacketh down on Michel Therrien, despite the Avs having a 3-0 lead late in the third period.
    I will secretly enjoy it.

• slyCH says:

I guess you’re a Roy coach fan regardless. Patience.

• NightRyder says:

Unless Larry Robinson was a guaranteed part of the package, it’s probably better that Roy learn the NHL ropes somewhere else. I see him eventually returning to coach the Habs, with the crazy meter dialled down a notch or two. When he eventually returns, it won’t be quite the sideshow it would be now.

36. Spinner says:

To All: Forget all the “laffs comments” and all the sorrow for Habs dropping the opener. How bout switching gears and using this site as an opportunity to Congratulate Mr Beliveau’s 60 years as a one of the most honoured and true hero’s of the NHL. He is nothing less than “first class” and truly represents the Hab Heritage. Many of the comments posted on this site are immature and wreckless. No need to do that, especially after one game into an 82 game season. The Habs/Leaf rivalry is one of the best in all of sport, and it should remain that way. It is always an emotional, adrenalin filled match that we all look forward to and let’s hope it never changes. Just be professional about it. There is nothing bettter than a Hab/Leaf tilt. We just don’t need the boorish comments from both sides. Can’t wait till next “tilt”. GO HABS!

• slyCH says:

I love the Leaf tilts, and their fans. Like that one Leaf fan who saw me wearing a Hab T-shirt and said the Hab logo looked like a toilet bowl and he took sh!ts on the logo everyday. Yeah. Leaf fans are the best and should be patted on their collective backs along with TSN. Yeah. I love to be a sport and take gratitude that we lost our season opener by only one goal to the mighty gracious fan base from the greater Toronto area. After all the mighty mighty Toronto maple leafs are the center of the hockey universe. Yeah. It’s good to be gracious when the fan base is so respectful. To the max.

EDIT:As a loyal Hab fan I totally brought him back to earth. Maybe one day soon I will give a play by play of the whole exchange. I’m far from a pussie. (I use this word since the gazette beatters do) It was golden. Leaf fans, if disarmed properly, are easy targets.

37. Habilis says:

Anyone else wonder what kind of ice time our young guys would be getting if Roy was our coach? MacKinnon played over 15 minutes (with 2 assists) tonight in his first NHL game. I don’t think Galchenyuk has played 15 minutes in a game yet. Different players, different situations, sure. But something tells me that Patrick wouldn’t hesitate to play P.K. for 30 minutes a night, or to give the EGG line the big forward minutes.

I’m obviously overreacting because it’s one game in, but if I include last season and what I’ve seen in preseason and our first game this season… I’m starting to think that Timo and others on here have it right when they say that Therrien is not helping this team.

PS: Roy tries to get at Boudreau: http://youtu.be/FxW_n8keVPg

38. NightRyder says:

Anyone else enjoy Patty Roy going off his nut tonight? Game 1! I may just have to start watching some more Avs games.

39. ClaytonM says:

With all due respect to M. Beliveau, I am growing tired of the bread and circuses thrown my way by Canadiens PR and the media. Besides being a “skilled” team that somehow is one of the most heavily penalized, my main gripe is how Habs fans keep reliving past glories. While it would seem impossible to avoid those glories, I’d like to say enough is enough with the media distractions disguised as historical landmarks.

There has not been a Cup winning team, not even a serious contender on the ice, for 20 years and counting. Stop with the jersey retirements and the shovelling of torch-passing ceremonies down our throats and start putting an emphasis on the future. Maybe if that was the way Habs fans and management were perceived around the league we’d be in serious contention for a big UFA or trades. Instead the image I get is of 50+ year old fans disappointed every playoffs and reminiscing on how Sam Pollock drafted Lafleur under everyones noses.

There was also a time when the Sun never set on the British Empire, hamburgers cost a dime and beer came in stubbies. Big friggin whoop.

• Da Hema says:

Clayton: I confess I find myself largely in agreement with your views about the “glorious past” of the Canadiens (although I must note the irony of your avatar which is based on a historical moment in Canadiens history). It seems to me the only people really earning their money with the Canadiens, lamentably, are those in the team’s public relations department. But I am weary (and leery) of these efforts to expand the Canadiens’ fan base by manipulating the team’s storied history. Indeed, I feel an overwhelming sense of shame the organization has to stoop to this level. Frankly, I no longer care about what the team accomplished 50 years ago. That’s the kind of pathetic bromide that satiates a Toronto Maple Leafs fan. I don’t give a shit about 24 Stanley cups anymore. I want a team that can win one now instead of the organization’s PR department using history to sell tickets.

I had a few beers and that makes me care about the Habs a lot less. I am off to bed. I will need a lot of alcohol this season because I am too tired to care about this team. I may go the way of Front. Good night.

41. fastfreddy says:

The Habs are going to have a long and rough road with the likes of Boullion, Diaz,Gorges, and yes, throw in Markov as your starters on D line. MB has to figure something out.

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

• Marc10 says:

I don’t know that he can figure his way out of this one. The cap restrictions impede the few trades he could make while we wait for ‘moar bigger’ options to come down the pipe (Patteryn and Beaulieu) and to return (Yemmy the Tank and Murray).

Could be a bit of a disaster if the injuries pile up. In any event, there’s no way that D gets anywhere unless Yemmy comes back soon and Tinordi takes a big step up. So I suspect we’re in for a bit of rough ride this year. Could be back on the ‘tank’ for a low pick bandwagon…

42. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Read the posts today and heard a lot on the radio about fighting. For me it’s simple. Hockey fighting should be banned because it is too dangerous. It is an activity that has nothing to do with the playing of this sport. That is why it is penalized. Hockey fighting is so dangerous that it would never be sanctioned by an athletic commission if it was a sport on its own. Imagine going to the commission and telling them you want to hold a combat event where the competitors fight bare-knuckled while balancing on two thin blades on top of a rock-hard incredibly slippery surface. There is no way in hell it would be sanctioned, even in Las Vegas. The fact that the NHL has gotten away with pretending to frown on it while promoting and marketing it is ridiculous. I hope to God somebody drags Bettman, Jacobs, Campbell, Shanahan and the rest of the idiots into court one day…

43. Bill says:

On a side note, I still get a solid laugh every time autocorrect changes “Prust” to “Proust”. Tell me I’m not alone.

A little earlier I basically put France’s greatest writer on the IRL. I had him injured in a preseason fight. Those French novelists are scrappy, eh?

• slyCH says:

About ten years ago I ordered a French version of “A la recherche du temp perdue” from a local bookstore here in Key West. I couldn’t get past the 2nd page. Been stuck there ever since. Oh sure I look at the book, (two actually) and can’t brave myself to tackle “stream of thought” writing. I’m a failed Frog I suppose.

44. jols101 says:

Didn’t get to see much of Bernier out in L.A, he put on quite a show tonight. He was the main reason the Leafs won again tonight. They may have gotten a gem.

45. JO says:

The Leafs made some good changes in the off season and they are a tough team with two very good goaltenders looking for them to make the playoffs and do better this time around.

46. Sportfan says:

Anyone else see these “alternate’ NFL logos a lot of them look great!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

47. Sportfan says:

@The Jackel couldn’t agree with you more we are not as “soft” as we were last year everyone be more positive like jackal! Btw how’s your fantasy team?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

48. Phil C says:

Regardess of your opinion on fighting, the winds of change are blowing. The evidence on concussions continues to mount in way not favourable to fighting, the visor rule is starting to make fighting look like a farce. Enrolment is down in Canada among boys, partly due to safety concerns. Now we have real insiders, GMs stating for the first time in my memory that it’s time to get rid of it. When a HOFer like Yzerman takes such a strong leadership position, it validates others to speak their mind without ridicule. It is only a matter of time before they get rid of it. It may take 10 years, but it’s coming.

49. Ncognito says:

How long before Akim Aliu is on the habs 4th line?

50. otisfxu says:

watching Leafs Flyers…..here’s why Leafs will make playoff and Habs may not – coaching.
    When Carlyle says go out and knock some guys on their butt, that’s what happens. When Therrien says the same , boys look at him and go mmmm I don’t think so.

• Bill says:

They’re also still very lucky. That can’t last.

Full Breezer 4 Life

Lol what???
      Not only is that statement wrong, but it also contradicts what you said earlier re. fighting and toughness.

A team does not make the playoffs because they knock some guys on their butt or not, that is only a factor that is helpful but not sufficient. Not only that, but yesterday completely negates your claim about the Habs and not knocking guys around. We played a hard-nosed and physical game that was ultimately lost because of bad bounces.

Both teams had strong performances but the Habs suffered from defensive lapses, as will happen with a rookie D-man and while Markov continues to adjust his game, but nonetheless, no one can say that we were beat in the physicality department or in effort or in skill.

51. JO says:

If you don’t allow shorthanded goals. You have a better chance at winning!

52. Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

Colton Orr dishes vicious x-check to rosehill’s head. He needs to be dealt with in the worse way.

53. otisfxu says:

you guys are way to into this needing a goon – are they going to replace Parros – f, I hope so, with some talent.

what is the point of Parros – didn’t do us any good, didn’t see Leafs shaking in their boots

It’s size and toughness we need, not heavyweights

54. H.Upmann says:

Man.. I know he’s overpaid and overrated, but I would still live to see Vinny in a Habs jersey. He doesn’t look outta place on the Flyers.

55. The Jackal says:

While I am one of the ban fighting bandwagon, I do acknowledge that it is currently a part of the game and it should thus not be ignored.

To wit, in the same vein as Hobie Hansen, I think we showed the Leafs that they can’t mess with us. When Tinordi took down Ashton and Moen took down Fraser, and Parros took down Orr, there was a primal sense of pride that was evoked inside of me and I’m sure inside of other fans: “finally, we ain’t getting pushed around, take that, go Habs!”

Perhaps pride is not the best word, but not being pushed around certainly adds to your team’s respectability. Hell, before Parros went down and we were losing, I thought to myself: “maybe we lose but we will finally win in the toughness, and that should help out a lot mentally.”

So yeah, fighting and toughness have a role and are important at times. However, I don’t think it is necessary to have fighting in the game, specially because of the serious brain trauma and mental health issues that are highly correlated with repeated blows to the head. I think enforcing the rules and taking the crap out of the game, and by crap I mean dirty checks, crosschecks, etc., that rile players up, then we would not need to have tough guys policing the ice.

Anyway, on the bright side, while fighting is still part of the sport, I’m glad that the Habs are no longer being beaten up.

• Bill says:

Haha, well all I will say is that i hope you enjoyed it while it lasted. Parros is gone and Prust cant fight, so the Habs are now approximately as tough as they were in 2012.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• The Jackal says:

Well, Parros will be back, and Moen, Prust, Tinordi, and Murray are tough (and can fight), so we’ll be fine.

:D

• otisfxu says:

one idiotic statement after another

• Bill says:

That’s really positive of you considering Parros, Murray, and Prust are all injured, but i like the positivity! Keep on truckin’.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• The Jackal says:

Injured does not mean they won’t step up when they are healthy.
            And besides, fighting doesn’t occur every game, it is about the other team knowing that there is a price to pay if they try anything stupid.

I get that may not feel like anything was accomplished last night, but the Habs played a very solid game, they got burned by some unlucky bounces and defensive mistakes, but overall showed that they are a good team and that they have the ability to settle things in a fight – whether you think that is good or bad is irrelevant because it is currently a part of how the sport is played and every team in the NHL considers it an important factor.

• Mr. Biter says:

Don’t forget White.

Mr. Biter
          No Guts No Glory

• Hobie Hansen says:

I think you’re forgetting about Tinordi Bill ;-).

• otisfxu says:

“showed Leafs they can’t mess with us”,,,,WTF??? What we showed the Leafs is that we can’t beat them,,,,,,,don’t mess with us or you’ll only win by one goal instead of 2 or 3 goals.

f’d up mentality

• The Jackal says:

I don’t know if you’ve just not watched hockey in the past decade or so, but whatever your opinion is on fighting, which by the way you do not have to state because it is clear what it is, you can’t ignore the obvious fact that most players in the NHL and every team considers fighting as something (for better or for worse) that can push the balance one way or another.

A team that can get pushed around without a response will have a negative psychological factor insofar as their confidence and will be less eager to get in the dirty areas. Players tend to play “bigger” when they are confident that if they get roughed around, a teammate will send a message that such behaviour is intolerable.

So one’s opinion on fighting is irrelevant and independent of how things are in practice. I’d like to see a fight-free NHL, but that is not to say that fighting currently has a big function in the sport.

Regardless of your stance on fighting, a team that can respond to dirty physical play and that can dole out some punishment when the officials fail to, which is very common in this league, will be better off than a team that has no effective response, and that is it, plain and simple.

• NCRhabsfan says:

So what you’re really saying is that in the absence of the league and the officials doing their job, teams need to have their own response? Basically everyone needs to adopt a wild west sort of mentality. Isn’t that kind of a throw back to the caveman era. Aren’t we supposed to be more evolved, more intelligent than that these days? This isn’t the Forum circa Augustus. Isn’t hitting someone that poses no physical threat to you (Kessel while the Sabre was being held down by two Leafs) a criminal offence? Why wasn’t he arrested and charged? What is up in the world when all civilized rules are set aside? I cannot wait until the NHL is sued out of existence by the former players maimed by the league’s reckless indifference to player safety. They richly deserve to pay billions, no pun intended.

I’m not glad the Habs are no longer being beaten up. I’m sad the Habs ownership didn’t do something about ridding the league of the cancer that is Bettman and his crew of henchmen.

56. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

I’m sure this has been suggested, but would Laraque come out of retirement?

;-)

57. durocher says:

Eager has wheels and is a tough customer, but my understanding is that he doesn’t really drop the gloves anymore. In any case, I also think it would be rather unseemly to replace Parros with a fighter so quickly.

I wonder if we take a chance on Cormier now — he can give us depth, has some grit (though he’s not a fighter), and can be put on waivers after Parros comes back.

That said, I’m fine with giving White and Bournival the playing time. I am more concerned about Gio, DD, Pleks than with replacing Parros.

58. ProHabs says:

Reading about something that happen 60 years ago doesn’t really cheer me up or make me want to celebrate after what happened last night.

59. Danno says:

Ranger with a Markov moment

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

60. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Hey! Only a few hours left to pick up one of these SUPER CHEAP, with an additional 40% OFF!

61. Hobie Hansen says:

The timing of that Parros injury stinks. The Habs were trailing 3-2 at the time but were totally in the game and I think they would have tied it up.
    Up to the point of the injury the Habs were totally showing the Leafs that if they choose to goon it up the Habs can easily go toe to toe with them. Tinordi just demolished Ashton and boom, Parros is lying flat on his face.
    I honestly don’t want the Habs to play like the Bruins or Leafs and initiate the rough stuff all night long. In terms of fighting, all I care about is Montreal standing up for themselves and not to allow teams to gain psychological advantage over them by beating on their players.
    I’m hoping Parros returns quickly and is able to shake this off. That 4th line was looking damn good last night!

• ProHabs says:

Good post Hobie. For the first time in a very very long time, the Habs were the tougher team last night and took care of an opposition that likes the rough stuff. It was nice to see the Habs not backing down from anyone and they still have Emelin, Murray and White waiting in the wings. The injury to Parros changes everything because now Prust or Moen must take care of heavyweights like Orr and that doesn’t work.

62. slapshot777 says:

If Parros is out for awhile, think Bergevin will go out and replace him?

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

I think he needs to, especially if Murray is 4-6 weeks away. Other teams goons will be all over Tinordi, someone needs to be up who can handle those fights. Otherwise bad news for young Tinordi.

• slapshot777 says:

I think Bergevin should be asking doctors today for a timeline on what they think coud be a recovery tie for Parros. I know everyone is different when it comes to discussions. But experts in this field after proper testing is done should be able to put an educated guess on to time of recovery.

Bergevin should make a move if Parros is out longer than a month.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

• Stevie.Ray says:

We went all of last season with out Parros and we won the division.

Do we need to replace Parros? No. Will we? I don’t think so, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

• Hobie Hansen says:

If Parros doesn’t return quickly Montreal should pick someone up or it could be Tinordi laying face first on the ice. Burly is correct.

• The Jackal says:

If we need a replacement then I hope it is via waivers or a call-up.

• Mr. Biter says:

If Prust is also hurt (how did that happen?) we have to pick up another enforcer. If Parros was not there then Orr would have hammered another smaller Hab and We don’t want what happened to Komo to happen to Tinordi as he’s not ready yet. And to all the non fighting whiners until it’s outlawed from the league you have to be ready to defend yourself.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• Bill says:

Proust got hurt fighting in the preseason. Remember his “therapy day”? You saw last night he wouldn’t drop the gloves, that means he’s hurting significantly, knowing Prust.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Mr. Biter says:

Thanks Bill. Could not watch game as working late in NW Ontario. Just fight highlights on you tube.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• Un Canadien errant says:

So how does this work? We lost George Parros to concussion, he’ll be out for a while, do we just sign the next available goon, drop him in the roster, so he can neutralize the other team’s goon? I know the Oilers just snapped up Steve MacIntyre, so he’s gone, who’s the next name on the list? Does Frontenac get his wish and get to see Trevor Gillies in bleu blanc rouge?

63. Habitant in Surrey says:

…JT is one of the most enjoyable reads a Habs Fan can enjoy, so I take no pleasure to debate her intelligent and talented mind

…but, to eliminate fighting from NHL hockey is more complicated than simply forbidding any form of fisticuffs from it’s rules

…the NHL brand is very unique relative to junior, university or international hockey played in a short series …comparing them is like comparing persimmons to cumquats, or something to that effect :)

…NHL hockey is a completely different beast than the ‘pure sport’ of junior, university/college and international hockey

…NHL hockey is a commercial visiting circus, a Broadway play, a Breaking Bad episode, a sky-jump, a drama, an orgasm …not only a ‘pure’ sporting event

…owners are in it for money, plus the ‘pleasure’, not innocence and medals

…the Fans ? …they just want to be entertained

I have no issues with people taking a Stand on either side of the fighting debate, just wish more of them knew how to listen and discuss.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…that’s why there are wars and divorces and betrayals and murder and dishonesty and mindless senseless disbelief/obliviousness that there is actually a meaning to Life :)

…all encapsulated perfectly in a hockey blog :)

64. slapshot777 says:

Big difference tonight for the Loafs. Last night the refereeing gave all the breaks to the Loafs, tonight they are goint aginstt them and the Flyers are all over them. They are lucky to only be loing by one goal

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

Reading through the last pages of the last thread was painful, feel like I was on the losing end of a fight. Some people just have no concept of how to have a discussion on some topics.

• Bill says:

It was a bad thread. Some really juvenile behaviour from usual suspects.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Un Canadien errant says:

Man I stayed away. Why does anyone engage that kid, he has lost any credibility as a poster and interlocutor with his lies and his trolling long ago. Let him shrivel up alone in his corner, don’t even tease him, he feeds off it.

66. Danno says:

The debate about fighting continues…

Fight Thoughts

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

67. JohninTruro says:

No Reway or McCarron tonight for their respective teams. McCarron must still be hurting from the hit the other night, no idea why Reway isn’t playing.

68. TheMostCupsPeriod says:

Fifth!

69. JohninTruro says:

Tinordi dished up a broken nose to Ashton. Ashton was whining big time after the fight, if he didn’t want it he shouldn’t have engaged in it. He may have even dropped his gloves first, and of course Tinordi accepted the offer.

70. A. Berke says:

Congratulations on the 60th and many more Mr. Beliveau.
    Thank you for all the good memories that I was lucky to witness.

Ali B.

71. A. Berke says:

shoot, second (again)

cheers and speedy recovery to Parros

Ali B.

72. habs11s says:

FIRST!
    _____________________________________________________________

73. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Rosehill was on the Leaves for a while. Bet he’d love to take Orr downtown.

74. ProHabs says:

Weren’t those guys teammates a couple of years back for the Leafs.

75. punkster says:

Boy did you overstate that reference.

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
    but…
    ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

76. Mattyleg says:

…nuna…?

..is that you…?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

77. Habsrule1 says:

Congrats on the dumbest post of the new season.
    Ya, let’s just take down all the banners and erase the 24 Cups while we’re at it…start back at zero cause history doesn’t matter.

And if Molson doesn’t understand the passion for hockey and the need to win NOBODY does.

Go back to your leafs site.

Go Habs Go!!

78. Luke says:

Man, if you had only mentioned Salt-Peter when you mentioned beer…

79. PrimeTime says:

MEDS – if you’re out call your Psychiatrist before you hurt yourself.

80. sprague cleghorn says:

ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

… ‘ow could we forget that?

81. habssince1909 says:

Wow, you cannot really be a Hab’s fan – Talentless, Lazy and useless french canadian players in the NHL, really? How about St Louis, Lecavalier, Gagne, Pominville, Bergeron, Letang and Talbot ?- Never mind, I won’t go further, your post is not even worth answering…….

82. DAVE. N says:

I would suggest you find a new sandbox. You soiled this one along with whatever you wear. This site is for Hab fans, and although we don’t always agree, and we can get a bit petulant, most of us know a bit about this team; tired and decaying, clueless and lazy is not the team site your logging into, nor the people you are commenting to. French Canadian Professional Athletes are no different than any other nationality or culture so please take your narrow minded insolent, low IQ elsewhere.

Hey Doctor Recchi! How ya doing?

84. yakhab says:

-neurological-
    Wow that’s a pretty big word !

85. Chrisadiens says:

He must be 92’s father….

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

86. Max_a_million says:

I don’t care if he is vocal as much. Just love the energy Roy brings. he simply does not care what anyone thinks of him. Brings his team to an us versus them mentality.

He is just baiting us Dave, great come back my friend.

88. yakhab says: