Here’s how Habs can clinch spot tonight

Canadiens goalie Jaroslav Halak, on Monday named the NHL’s first star of the past week, hasn’t allowed a goal in 144:01 heading into tonight’s game on Long Island vs. the New York Islanders.
John Mahoney, Gazette

Fortress Halak leads Habs playoff push: Stubbs column
Simple playoff formula: Win and get in: Stubbs
Where they stand in the East

Courtesy of two friends at the National Hockey League: Benny Ercolani, statistician and information officer; and Greg Inglis, senior director, news services. Our thanks to them for crunching the numbers (probably under a steamroller, finally):

If the Canadiens defeat the New York Islanders Tuesday night, they would clinch a playoff berth if either of the following happened:

• Either the New York Rangers or Philadelphia Flyers lose in regulation (to the Buffalo Sabres and Toronto Maple Leafs, respectively) on Tuesday;

• Or both the Rangers and Flyers earn one point (i.e., overtime or shootout loss) in their games.

• If the Canadiens earn one point Tuesday night (i.e., overtime or shootout loss), they would still clinch a playoff berth if both the Rangers and Flyers lose in regulation.

The Canadiens will not clinch a playoff berth under any circumstance if they lose in regulation. Nor will the Boston Bruins or Atlanta Thrashers be involved in the Canadiens’ clinching scenario in any way.

1. Sambaguio says:

I vote for Cammalleri.

——————————————
    Halak is the next Roy! Price is the next Theodore!

2. Sambaguio says:

I love Stubbs’ column title — “Fortress Halak”. Couldn’t have said it better!

——————————————
    Halak is the next Roy! Price is the next Theodore!

3. Braz_Habs says:

Hahaha, second the motion

4. nunacanadien says:

Price not starting?  What has the last 3 years been then, ok last 2 and half years, where Price started dismal record, bad enough for Gainey to clean house.  I guess Price has always been and always will be a backup goalie, just like any other rookie goalie Gainey has destroyed, Price wouldn’t be the first nor the last.

5. nunacanadien says:

6. habs03 says:

I think we need to name a C, we cant go into the playoffs without one..

7. yathehabsrule says:

Doing some research on a piece I did on the Habs 1969-70 disappointing season finish and found this quote from the late John Ferguson’s book”Thunder and Lightning”

“The chronicles of the 1969-70 Montreal Canadiens should be offered at
    NHL coaching seminars. They would demonstrate to anyone who wants to go
    behind the bench how many things can go wrong for a team that seems to
    have everything going right for it.”

___________________________________________

Ya! The Habs Rule! now on Twitter!

8. Sambaguio says:

The Capitals just beat the Bruins. Nice!!

———————————————–

Halak is the next Roy! Price is the next Theodore!

9. BKAK72 says:

STATS junkie site:

– I will not apologize for being a delirious HABS fan! –

10. BKAK72 says:

That’s b/c it is ancient history.  The only remaining players from that roster:  PRICE, MARKOV, O’BYRNE, LAPPS, AK46, AK74, and PLEKS.  In reality only three of these players were starters for the season.

– I will not apologize for being a delirious HABS fan! –

11. Chorske says:

2007-2008 feels like ancient history right now

12. joeybarrie says:

Perpetual backup as a 22 year old player? He hasn’t even started his career. Complete nonsense. The rest of the post makes no sense, to no ones suprise, either. Only an idiot would trade him. Why in the world would anyone be able to know if a young goalie can make it in Montreal at 22?  And do you really think gainey used Price’s performances to clear house? Wouldnt that say the goalie did well, and the players didn’t??? Well i guess that’s exactly what happened and exactly what he did. THANK GOD.

Higgins, 17 points and -9

Tanguay 35 points and -2     His replacement, Gionta, has .73 PPG

Kovalev 48 points and -7  almost as bad as his 06-07 season. His replacement, Gomez,  has .75 PPG

Lang 29 points and -4

D’Agostini 4 points and -14

Komisarek 4 points and -9 and has been injured since Lucic smashed him up

Dandenault ??????

And we picked up 3 guys who are on pace to score 35 goals on an 82 game season.

Most importantly we picked up players who can still win games, and make the playoffs even though we have had our top two lines and our top 2 defence missing 116 games. Thats your BEST PLAYERS all missing at least 20% of the season. Especially when your top player is missing almost HALF the season.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

13. Bugs says:

Do we still clinch if we kick everybody’s butt and spit on what the other teams do?

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

14. ab-hab-nut says:

That is some piece or art!

15. punkster says:

People need a soapbox Tommy. Big signings or trades give some posters what they believe is validation in their beliefs. Those beliefs include “the big centre”, “the big defenceman”, “the enforcer” or “the smart GM”. So which of these 4 must-haves did the Rangers, Flyers and Bruins not have?

16. pic1983 says:

I just bitched about getting gomez.  Slats was a real idiot for taking gainey to the cleaners only to spend all his recently freed up cap space on one player who has a bad history for injuries.  As good as one player can be individually, you still need a whole team to win consistently.

17. Bugs says:

ANYTHING that makes you consider becoming a leafs fan means you were never one of us to begin with, 25 years or not, so what do I care what you think of our resident rat? (who’s doin a fine job gettin on the opposition’s nerves, far as I’m concerned, not to mention the occasional beautiful play (like Pyatt’s goal fer instance)).

So give my regards to your best friends in Toranna, Somer, and rest assured that your intolerance won’t be missed.

Thanks.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

18. TommyB says:

Well, mission accomplished.

19. TommyB says:

You know what’s funny?  For the last 3 Octobers posters here have been hailing and praising the signings and acquisitions of the Rangers, the Flyers, and the Bruins.  Each fall posters come on here and tell us how great these teams are going to be, and how poor the Habs are going to be.  How have they made out?  No better than the Habs, and in some cases, a lot worse.

20. jimmy shaker says:

It’s the hit on Tucker!  Ahhhhhh, man that makes me happy……I wish we still had kovy and i’m happy we don’t……..I think that PG is going to pick him up at the deadline next year and bring him back for the playoffs, now that’s a story.

Thanks for diggin it out!

Shaker

21. Storm Man says:

I think you need to cheer for the team not the name on the back of the jersey. Scotty Bowman came out and said DON’T TRADE PRICE, with all the rings on his fingers he has the credibility, He knows hockey talent alot more then you ever will. I hope you enjoy the game tonight.

22. TomNickle says:

I’m in a rural area without highspeed.  Please give me a summary of the video.

23. TomNickle says:

That really was a pathetic attempt at starting an argument.  I’m sure somebody will bite though.  You’re an idiot.

24. pmaraw says:

they get a new super free agent every year it seems, jagr, lindros, bure and so on and so on…  has it done them any good?

25. dh says:

Ok. So it’s like the NFL with the division leaders as the 1st seeds. Thanks.

26. nunacanadien says:

The only way Price can steal Halak’s thunder now is to play one solid game for once in his career.  Price has played some exciting hockey but he always destroys that by letting in soft goals.  Just for that Price should and any real GM would at this point in his career seriously consider trading Price.  If the rookie can’t make it, then trade him while his credibility is still hot.  If only to help a potential superstar, trade Price.  There is no way Price can make it in Montreal now, the best he could ever hope for is a perpetual backup goalie.  I agree with the poster who said Price’s legacy in Montreal will forever be tainted by the 4up and 4 down and the ire of hockey wives the world over, when Gainey forced fans to watch a struggling Price.  Then to top it all off, Gainey used Price’s lacklustre goaltending as an excuse for clearing house.

27. Say Ash says:

It’s funny how at beginning of the year everybody was bitching for getting Gomez, giving the Rags space to sign Gaborik. A lot of good it did them.

28. TommyB says:

Absolutely agree!  If Laps role is supposed to be the agitator, then he is doing a poor job of it.  Agitators are not out there to scare the opposition or make them think twice about roughing up a skilled team mate.  Agitators are supposed to goad the opposition into taking dumb penalties.  I don’t see Lapierre accomplishing this at all.  And he certainly is not going to make anyone think twice because of his fighting abilites.

29. Say Ash says:

Ever seen what a sabre can do to a penguin?

30. Malreg says:

The 3 division leaders automatically finish in the top 3 spots.

Since Buffalo is leading the Northeast, they are guaranteed at least 3rd place.

31. dh says:

Pardon the lack of knowledge but why are the Sabres in 3rd and the Penns in 4th when the Penns have one more point?

32. joeybarrie says:

You are exactly correct, but remember the key word in your statement is “TEAM”…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

33. joeybarrie says:

And hope the other isn’t another Leclaire. Except this time, we can tell…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

34. Bill H says:

LOL Great post!  But I don’t think the young whippersnappers know what a Monty Python is.  You might as well go on about dead parrots or lumberjacks.

35. Mr_MacDougall says:

I really like how Halak is playing witht he playoffs just around the corner, i think it would take a miracle for the Rangers to catch us now. I am getting pretty excited for playoff hockey.

I am going to beat a dead horse here for a minute… Halak and Price.. how about this statement: “Halak and Price are the best young one-two goaltending punch in the NHL. It is apparent that only one can be hot at a given time, however; if one faulters the other always seems to be there to pick up the slack and keep the team from going into a devestating slide. The Habs would be well advised to keep both goaltenders for the immediate future. Making a decision on signing only one of these two promising goaltenders could make a GM look very bad, and is extremely risky. Hopefully the fans can unite and support both of these promising young goaltenders.”

Just a note on Price bashers: I blame Bob Gainey for all the Price bashing, had he not annointed Carey as the Jesus Christ of goaltending, cost Carbo the the respect of his players and his job, and if he would have let Carbo play Halak, the fans would be supporting Price as we speak. Nobody likes a spoiled brat, and because of Bob Gainey, that is exactly how a number of Habs fans view Carey. I really like both our young goalies!

I LOVE PLAYOFF HOCKEY!!!!!!!!

36. jimmy shaker says:

You may be right, but I don’t see that myself!  At least we agree on that hit, absolutely fabulous!

Shaker

37. Mr_MacDougall says:

Oh man, The Kovy on Tucker elbow.. classic, carries the puck right towards Tucker….. BOOM!!! then drops the mits, loved it, absolutely loved it. (On a side note, he did that b/c Tucker tried to take his head off with an elbow and missed.. dirty Darcy!)

38. TomNickle says:

I would say the chances of Bergeron playing D tonight are about as good as Jacques not being the coach next year, slim to none.

Habs win and Rangers loss in regulation means a playoff spot.  Gotta like that.

39. TomNickle says:

I disagree just because I see players getting whistles when Laps is on the ice just to try to fight him.  He’s in their heads.  As for the Kovy thing, it’s in my top 10 plays of all time.  I jumped out of my Lazy-Boy and hit the ceiling cheering.  Laughed and cheered and fist pumped for about an hour after that play.

40. jimmy shaker says:

The lock of the year tonight is Jaro as the tender…so let’s move on…

Who sits now that Spacek is back?

Who do I want to sit?  Lapierre…….who is gonna sit……..Darche

Where is MAB going to play?

Where do I want him to play?  On the D, playing with 7 D

Where will JM play him?  On the fourth line with Pyatt and Lapierre.

Oh well, JM will be gone in the summer….

Let’s go Habs, Leafs, Sabres, Devils, Panthers.

What are the chances of us getting all these results?

I say 3 out of 5 come in.

Shaker

41. jimmy shaker says:

Have to agree with habs72 on this one Tommy…..I don’t think anybody that plays us thinks twice about doing something because of Laps.  In fact they probably want to do it more, because they want to kick the stink out of Lapierre and the way he talks the big talk but like on saturday, turtles when the gloves come off.  At least with avery and ott who I hate may I add, they will at least drop the gloves…… And when we had Tucker for the short amount of time as we did, he never developed yet into that bullseye target hating player he became when we was with the leafs.  On a side note: Kovy’s elbow on tucker was the greatest play/hit that I have ever scene…I could watch that over and over and love it all the more.

Shaker

42. Malreg says:

From Elliott Friedman’s 30 thoughts:

8. Part II: When Ryan O’Byrne tripped and almost scored on his own net last Saturday, Hal Gill calmed him down by laughing and saying, “You might be surprised to know I’ve almost done that once or twice.” I’ve been told a few times that Gill does not get enough credit for being an incredible teammate.

18. How to tell if the Montreal Canadiens are forechecking well? The first guy goes in hard and they force teams to go up the middle, Kirk Muller says.

19. Anyone doubting the value of training camp should talk to Tom Pyatt of the Canadiens. He really won over Jacques Martin, surprising the coach with a strong sense of defensive responsibility. With 42 seconds left in a 1-0 game at Philly last Friday, Martin threw him out there with Scott Gomez and Brian Gionta.

22. Jim Matheson of The Edmonton Journal suggested an interesting deal: Mike Ribeiro for Sheldon Souray. It’s my problem for your problem, but that’s what happens with big contracts in a cap world. Both teams would like to get rid of those players.

43. TomNickle says:

First, he’s second on our team in hits.  But after that, he does a lot of gutless things that worry players.  He’s like Chris Neil without the fighting.  He will injure a player with a dirty or cowardly act and not think twice about it.  It isn’t the talking that scares guys, it’s his willingness to be a rat and do something Claudelike.

44. HabFanSince72 says:

You think Lapierre does that?

How on earth? Do you think opposing players are worried that he’ll make a snide comment about them while waiting for the puck to drop?

If Laraque’s fists didn’t scare opponents away from our star players, you actually think Lapierre can do it with his mouth?

45. TomNickle says:

You don’t find value in a player that makes players think twice about roughing up our skilled players?

46. HabFanSince72 says:

Who says a team needs an agitator?

The reality is that he is a bit of a  prick. Not because it’s his role, but because that’s who he is.

If he plays well it’s tolerable. If not, not.

47. HabFanSince72 says:

Lappy is a bit of a joke but he’s OK.

Certainly not the embarassment that was Mike Ribeiro.

48. TomNickle says:

I understand that you’re trying to make a point but if you can cheer for this team with Darcy Tucker in the lineup you can suck it up and cheer for Laps.

He has a role and he plays it almost perfectly.

Would I like to see him fight?  Yes.  But the whole idea of being an agitator is to get into the heads of the opposition.  Looks to me like he’s doing a pretty good job of that.  If guys have to worry about Laps giving them a cheap shot, they aren’t as likely to give our skilled players one.

They’re thinking, what kind of bullcrap is Lapierre gonna pull on me if I give Cammalleri a shot.

49. somerslovesthehabs says:

Dear Bugs,

PLEASE do us all a favour and tell Lapsy Daisy to quit picking on the little guys out there, he is just too big, mean and ruthless for any of those scrappers to handle, what a bully

Lapsy is the only player in my 25 years of being a Habs fan that makes me consider becoming a Leafs Fan, not even Brisebois’ inept D could embarrass me as much as this guy has for 3 years now…we had Breezer for WAY TOO LONG, hopefully we can get rid of this Joker alot quicker

50. somerslovesthehabs says:

Seriously, he has to go

51. TomNickle says:

If there’s a player on this roster that shouldn’t be playing due to injury and focusing on re-gaining health for the post-season it’s Plekanec.  He isn’t strong on the puck because of his injury and it’s not only lead to bad turnovers but he won’t get a chance to rest after this week.

Cammalleri just needs to get his game-conditioning back.  Big Difference.

52. Captain aHab says:

Really, the only scenario they should care about is to win their remaining games. I’m actually glad the pressure is still on because I think they do better in adversity. I want to see the first two lines elevate their game by the end of the season. And Cammy needs to pull himself out if he is too injured to play well. Quite frankly, his passing has been beyond brutal since his return and he seems to have lost a gear. Maybe he’s putting too much pressure on himself.

53. G-Man says:

Yeah, let the Habs trade the guy that wins. Doh!

54. G-Man says:

“Crap!”

55. HABWARRIOR says:

STOP TALKING ABOUT OUR GOALIES!!!!! …They friggin rock.Nuff said.Halak,clearly #1 and go to guy and Price at the moment very solid and capable #2 if not a #1……Im very happy with the netminding so everyone should just be glad we got guys who can stop the puck!!! …Remember the days of Aebischer….Thibault…..Jablonski….Theo(aside from MVP season)…red Light Racicot…lol…..????Remember???????

56. daveho29 says:

I agree with what your saying with one exception, why would I want a budlight. When I drink beer I want flavour, not piss in a bottle.

57. Mattee. says:

Can we have a habsinsideout version 2.0 for grown ups?

58. HABZ24 says:

off subject : leno joke: so tiger woods is back on the course today, yup this was the first threesome he’s been in for 6 months, lol.  go habz go!!

59. naweed235 says:

the funny thing is that you dont realize that in this league IT IS THE WIN/LOSE RECORD THAT COUNTS… at the end of the day your team makes the playoffs if you have more wins and not if you have been “unlucky” and “gave up softies lesft and right”…

60. likehoy says:

alright let’s trade price to the oilers for drouin-deslaurier + 1st rounder, then trade halak to the tampa bay lightning for antero niittymakki + 1st rounder.

no more goaltending controversy, we get hall and seguin…and free up millions in the salary cap.

I should be GM by tomorrow I believe.

- Team Halak V.S. Team Price…Montreal Canadiens Fans are similar to 14 year-old Girls going through Puberty.

61. matraque says:

Price is da hawtness.  aight?

——

Canadien en 5!

62. Stooof says:

the funny thing is is that the only thing separating halak and price as far as performance goes is halaks win/lose record.  if you actually watch the games, you would know that price has equaled halaks performances save a couple flops… and usually it was a team flop.

his record for the last two years have been 20+ win seasons.  this year, he has actually played outstandedly.  i am very impressed by his poise..

take away half the stupid and unlucky goals against and he may just have a winning record.

price is the better goalie.  time will show that.

GO HABS

63. SeriousFan09 says:

I agree that the Oilers aren’t likely to secure the 1st overall pick, for 3 of the last 4 NHL drafts the 30th-ranked team has picked up the 1st overall pick when it is supposed to be more of a lottery among the bottom 5, especially since Bettman would rather an American club get the best possible player out of the draft.

Edmonton’s got a long, long list of problems. No goaltending future, Defence is shaky at best… Cam Fowler could be what they need, Eberle and Svensson give them a serious offensive upgrade already, Fowler could give them a foundation on D they haven’t had since Pronger was traded.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

64. Bryan says:

a)  Chances are Edmonton won’t be drafting 1st overall (they only have a 48% chance of retaining the 1st pick)

b)  Until Edmonton gets their goaltending and defense sorted out, they are going to be like Tampa in my opinion.

_______________________________

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

65. bostonantifan says:

Brilliant idea, package a 24 year old goaltender who is playing great and send him out of town.  Price has had more opportunities to have a “career” year than Halak has, and we’re still waiting on Price.  I’d rather keep both, but if one has to go, I think it’d be smarter to keep the one who has proven he can actually handle the job and the pressure of Montreal.

66. naweed235 says:

im sick and tired of reading about ppl wanting to trade Halak (a great goalie who has played very well for us since he is in MTL and keeps on getting better and has not shown anything that makes me want to trade him away) and keep Price (a goalie who had success early in his career but went downhill from there and has not been able to show the same for the last 2 or 3 years…) hoping that he will ONE DAY reach his “potential” which even if it does happen i doubt it would be anything more than what Halak is giving us at the moment…

so stop hoping and start seeing

67. Matt_in_TO says:

At least something’s remained consistent from then to now, the leafs suck.

- Guy Boucher for head coach

68. rickmonbren says:

Hasn’t anyone realized that Halak would have unseeded 90% of NHL starters this year, let alone a 22 year old Price.  This is less a matter of Price not playing well and more a matter of Halak having a career year, we have all seen these guys come and go, Theo, Huet etc.. come to mind.  I hope the best for Halak and I pray we can package him and one of Spacek or Hamrlik for a young player or 1st rounder.  That would be a great return on investment considering we can’t afford Hammer and keep Plecs and we would turn a 9th round pick into a 1st rounder.  Win, Win.

69. sailor2963 says:

”Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  - Donald Sutherland as Oddball in Kelly’s Heroes

Okay Habs fans, the playoffs start NOW!  Everybody jump on the bandwagon and support the WHOLE team! Discussions regarding who is a better player than who must be put on hold until after the Stanley Cup Parade!  Go Habs Go!

70. Lap4Cap says:

Video with a HALAK/PRICE shout out. Doesn’t make some of us sound very smart.

Hello, I’m Jordan and I hate Julie…

71. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Wow..Eberle, Hall, Hemsky, Penner – good core.

72. SeriousFan09 says:

Oh, I’m sorry Chris. This is abuse. You want room 12A. Just along the
    corridor.

Monty Python references make everything better.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

73. Chorske says:

LOL, this is the issue. If only everyone would just agree…. with me. ;)

74. daveho29 says:

HaHaHa, Nice avatar.

I am at the brew pub in Squamish watching and the bartender is a a freind of mine and a huge laffs fan(yes I friends who support the laffs). Got to show him.

75. Fabio D says:

Consistency is what I’m seeing as the challenge for this team for the last couple of years.

There are nights when the goal tending is brilliant, but the offence is non existent.

Nights when offence is firing then goal tending slips.

Stretches where all the team can do is score on the PP, not Five on Five.

Stretches where they score Five on Five, but fail to click on the PP.

Brilliant games against the perrenial winning teams in the league only to be followed by stinkers against the perrenial bottom feeders of the league.

Scatter in some games when the everything clicks (5:5, PP, Goaltending) and you have the last 2 years the Habs have had.

When the Habs finished 1st overall 2 years ago, consistency played a factor and they set the bar high moving forward for the organization.

It didn’t happen and we are where we are today. Fighting for a play-off spot in the last week of the season.

I’m optimistic that the team will make the play-offs. And am HOPING that the team finds consistency to go far in the play-offs.

We’ve seen flashes of how great the 2009-2010 Habs can be against the “better” teams in the league, just need to find that game for a strong play-off run.

Go Habs Go!!!!

76. Mikey_39 says:

So, I’ve been hearing a lot of complaints about Lapierre.  A lot of people want him gone.  But, if he was playing the way he was last year, would everyone still feel the same way?

77. Jordio-oh says:

Isn’t that kind of an obvious question?

Part of the reason people want him gone is because his production has dropped off from last year. If he had 15 goals like last year, instead of the 6 he has now, i would be willing to bet you’d hear less complaining.

And lets not kid ourselves, Lapierre has always been irritating and not willing to fight so his behaviour aside from his production isn’t the determining factor for people wanting him gone because he was an irritating turtle last year when people were calling for him to be made captain.

78. TommyB says:

Why has he not played the way he played last year (supposing that you are right in saying he played well last year)?  With this injury-riddled season nearly behind us, Lapierre has had quite a bit of opportunity to step up and help to make a difference.  He has not done that at all, IMO.  The only times he came through with a decent game this year, were the games just before someone was due to return from injury.  Obviously an attempt to prevent banishment to the pressbox.  I put Lapierre in the same situation as Latendresse.  He needs to get out of Montreal in order to become the hockey player he can be.  He seems to feel too comfortable with his spot on the roster, possibly because he is a francophone.  Meanwhile, he is doing precious little to contribute here.  He could move on to another team and possibly find a role and flourish in it, but like Latendresse, it doesn’t look like he is ever going to do that in Montreal.

79. nickster13 says:

he’s pretty embarassing to watch to be honest. He is zero threat of scoring or setting one up, is afraid to go into the corners to dig out the puck unlike a guy like moen, and he looks like he does a terrible job agitating since he doesnt even go after the best players or anything like sean avery does.

The worst part is he doesnt hit hard either, nor does he fight, he turtles and avoids fighting, i seriously doubt any other team takes him seriously at all. PLus when he gets out of scrums he has a huge smile on his face, I personally facepalm quite often with him

Maybe if he did one thing right, such as score points, or fight, or at least win battles, he doesnt do much period this year, nor does he look like hes trying too hard, so for that we dont like him much

80. joeybarrie says:

I think that might be the point. He has been pretty bad this season. He is leading our team in plus-MINUS, after injured Mara, and has half the production of last season. He becomes a RFA this season, and I don’t know how much more he will be offered. He is quite inexpensive. I expect us to resign him for little more than he is making now. 850k at most. He can turn his game around, but i don’t know if it will be for more than a year. He is a 4th line body, that will help us against the cap. But yeah complaints are high, cause he is sucking it up this season. If he played well, then of course, no, we wouldn’t feel the same way. We want players who play well, not bad.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

81. Say Ash says:

He’s like Alex Burrows without the scoring. And what’s with him turtling at the end of the last game? It made me wanna punch him myself.

82. twocents says:

Pierre Lebrun’s blog at espn.com looks at second half and post Olympic records. The Habs have the second best record in the eastern conference since the Olympic break(behind only Washingston) and have the third best record, of any eastern conference team making the playoffs, over the entire second half.(behind Washington and Pittsburgh)

Gel that.

83. likehoy says:

our record doesn’t feel that good when we consistnetly have 3 or 4 game losing streaks. would rather win 2 lose 1…at least it’s short in our memories.

84. jimmy shaker says:

RDS saying that even though Spacek is available tonight…….Everyone knows how reluctant JM is to tinker with a winning lineup….so he may be watching from upstairs.  Especially after back to back donuts.  I highly doubt it……..but we’ll see.  One thing is for sure MAB will be in the lineup somewhere!  And has to be!!!

Shaker

85. Storm Man says:

Shaker did the wife let you order HD yet? Should be a good game tonight Go Habs Go

86. Say Ash says:

There is no way JM believes the back-to-back shutouts happened because a +11 defenceman was not in the lineup.

87. Shublips says:

Let’s hope Habs make it easier on themselves by winning tonight.  Don’t trip, like I did!

Read more at HabsAddict.com:

88. Chorske says:

Just once it would be nice if we could spend early April not doing complex mathematical permutations to determine our odds of making the postseason. Didn’t the Habs have some big elaborate plan about NOT having to scramble to make the playoffs?

89. Game 7 says:

Wasn’t that 2 years ago when we won the East?

90. ezzeloharr says:

Not to nitpick – though I’m going to do it anyway – but I’m fairly certain that there aren’t *that* many actual permutations involved.  This math seems much more combinatorial to me.

91. cjhousegirl says:

Cool. We MUST beat the Isles because I think Buffalo will beat the Rangers. Let’s get this thing done as quickly as possible. I can’t see the Habs taking the Isles lightly, also considering the Habs are a good road team I think the Habs take it. Another shut-out for Halak? I’m not calling it. 3-1 Habs.

92. timkbryant says:

As long as we keep winning, we don’t need to worry about anyone else.

Using another method of calculating clinching, the magic number is three (3). In other words, any combination of Habs points won and Rangers points lost totalling three (3) gives the Habs a playoff spot. So, at worst a 0-0-3 record over the last three games of the season equals the playoffs.

I think.

93. HABWARRIOR says:

Dude …forget worrying about clinching playoffs,we’ve made it……..Heck we’ve clinched the stanley cup.I’m confident.Very very confident.Plan the mufu**’nnn parade yo.They’ve already engraved the hab players from this years team onto the cup.Or so i’ve heard.LoL….Bring it On NHL….We’re ready.

94. Dave Stubbs says:

Until I hear it from Timo, I don’t believe it.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

95. HabFanSince72 says:

Playoffs not good enough – we need to finish 6th.

96. DMAN says:

That way when we play Colorado in the Stanley Cup finals we will have home ice….. oh wait we still won’t have home ice advantage! As long as we make the playoffs I am happy.

97. HabFanSince72 says:

Frickin’ Caps are resting Mike Green against Boston tonight.

Detroit started Osgood after a 3-month layoff against Philly.

It’s a conspiracy I tell you.

98. soperman says:

@ Chorske – in 2007 – 08 we won the conference.  That is once…

“Pusie possessed a wickedly wild shot, so inaccurate that he could not hit the province of Quebec if he was standing inside the Montreal Forum.” Dick Beddoes

99. HABWARRIOR says:

What’da ya mean?Timo is never full of optimism and confidence in the boys.He’s such a negative thinker.Positivity breeds positivity…….So if you dont beieve it cuz Timo hasnt said it than you can….

<<<<<…….Look into my crystal ball……cuz it told me.

100. Dave Stubbs says:

As Charlie Brown says in A Charlie Brown Christmas, when he thanks Violet for the Christmas card that she didn’t send: “Don’t you recognize a sarcasm when you hear one?”

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

101. HABWARRIOR says:

OOOhhhh yes …i thought it was….hahaha ….my bad….. i had a little too much wacky tobacky this afternoon……But SERIOUSLY …i feel it in my gut Mr. Stubbs, a long playoff drive for the boys….i know it.

BTW….i got excited when you commented on my post.

102. Bill J says:

stop talking about it or you will jinx it like that guy who made the “Feels like 93″ video.

103. SeriousFan09 says:

Speaking of ’93, why hasn’t the NHL done a 93 commercial “What if Patrick wasn’t a Saint?”

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

104. habs4ever2894 says:

Because the NHL hates the habs and never wants them to win again…(sigh)

105. habs4ever2894 says:

Because the NHL hates the habs and never wants them to win again…(sigh)

106. HABWARRIOR says:

stfu u tard

107. Flabadagub says:

Oh sarcasm…… sooooo eloquently put across on keyboard. ~(o:b

108. 21BIGGionta says:

the league: “We must do everything in our power to not have the Montreal Canadiens win another Stanley Cup….just until Pheonix catches up”

“Goaltending is a normal job, sure. How would you like it in your job if every time you made a small mistake, a red light went on over your desk and 15,000 people stood up and yelled at you.” -Plante

109. jimmy shaker says:

I had a great plan to buy a big screen from Costco, (and return it, no questions asked if within 90 days)  and order HD from cogeco because they are having a free HD for a month promotion, then I would cancel it after a month.  So, I’d be hooked up with a big screen, and HD for the playoffs then give it all back and not be out a dime.  But her and I both know that would not be the right thing to do, LOL! Once I’m back to work, I’ll work on it again.  So, for know, I’ll stick to the old tube telly.  But she was interested when I asked her to maybe get tickets if the habs play buffalo in the playoffs. So maybe I’ll get to see them live and up close.  I can live with that.

Shaker

110. Storm Man says:

I hope you do get to see them live in Buffalo, I will be in Montreal Saturday praying none of the Habs get hurt with the goons from Toronto

111. jimmy shaker says:

I wish it could be in Montreal but a 10hr. car ride from Windsor vs a 3hr. ride to Buffalo and cheaper tickets works for me.  Have fun at the game…..I hope that the playoffs are sealed and delivered by then, because if we need an outcome from that game……..I just don’t know!  They did it to us before and they are more than capable of doing it again.  So here’s hoping we get it done tonight and that game (SAT) is a meaningless one, standings/playoff meaningless, not lacking entertainment or quality for you and all the fans.

Shaker

112. Storm Man says:

The Toronto game does worry me alot, Im sure I will enjoy myself at the bell centre I always do:)

113. SPATS says:

We’re winning while our top 6 slump. They won’t be held off the scoring sheet for much longer. When they do find their touch, we’ll go from pretenders to contenders in a heartbeat. Nobody will want to face us.

114. jimmy shaker says:

That was the last comment made in the story….I’m not buying it either, but, it is what it is and it says what it says!

Shaker

115. Bugs says:

We’re 11-4 without Cammy…

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

116. Mikey_39 says:

Random but….

When we signed Travis Moen last summer everyone said that he was an upgrade on Tom Kostopoulos.  However, take a look at their stats this year and they’re almost identical.  I really liked TK.  The guy was all heart, big team player, killed penalties, provided a lot of energy, and would drop the gloves without hesitation to defend his team.  Ok he wasn’t the best fighter but i would take him on my team any day!

(I’m not taking anything away from Moen.  He’s been good, I just was a big fan of Kostopoulos)

117. HabsFanInVictoria says:

BG wanted a fresh start and knew that Moen can play with sandpaper and come up clutch in big game situations.  Moen’s been playing awesome lately.

118. Chorske says:

I have no problem with Moen. I think he is an upgrade.

119. andrewberkshire says:

Stats may be similar, but Moen is WAY better defensively. Not even comparable.

120. deuce6 says:

Moen also brings Stanley Cup experience to a young team..I liked TomK, he left it all out on the ice every night, Moen is a huge upgrade in terms of size, leadership, and toughness..

————– BRING THE JETS BACK TO WINNIPEG!!

121. Flabadagub says:

Moen is a better hockey player.

122. TomNickle says:

Just think, in five years when the contract of the goalie we keep expires, we’ll have a new debate between who to keep among these two goalies.

Jason Missiaen

Petteri Simila

;)

Seriously, great years for both.

123. kempie says:

Don’t get too excited. I’m from Peterborough and Missiaen, while very tall, is a bit of a sieve.

124. Bugs says:

Was that before or after he made the beautiful play that resulted in Pyatt’s goal?

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

125. Bugs says:

Preposterous.

He’s our num2 hitter and our num1 penalty incurer. That’s more than “one thing right”, no?

Rats aren’t in the game for love, Nicky. Quite the contrary in fact. Suggest you consider his negatives as positives and his usefulness on the club should be more apparent to you.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

126. somerslovesthehabs says:

127. somerslovesthehabs says:

128. Storm Man says:

He is still growing also, He had good stats in the playoffs the team lost 4-0 what are his weak points in his game?

129. Chorske says:

smarty pants

;)

130. linp says:

But Lapierre can yap and turtle!

131. twocents says:

Me, I couldn’t care less how it feels.