Here’s how Habs can clinch spot tonight

Canadiens goalie Jaroslav Halak, on Monday named the NHL’s first star of the past week, hasn’t allowed a goal in 144:01 heading into tonight’s game on Long Island vs. the New York Islanders.
John Mahoney, Gazette

Fortress Halak leads Habs playoff push: Stubbs column
Simple playoff formula: Win and get in: Stubbs
Where they stand in the East

Courtesy of two friends at the National Hockey League: Benny Ercolani, statistician and information officer; and Greg Inglis, senior director, news services. Our thanks to them for crunching the numbers (probably under a steamroller, finally):

If the Canadiens defeat the New York Islanders Tuesday night, they would clinch a playoff berth if either of the following happened:

• Either the New York Rangers or Philadelphia Flyers lose in regulation (to the Buffalo Sabres and Toronto Maple Leafs, respectively) on Tuesday;

• Or both the Rangers and Flyers earn one point (i.e., overtime or shootout loss) in their games.

• If the Canadiens earn one point Tuesday night (i.e., overtime or shootout loss), they would still clinch a playoff berth if both the Rangers and Flyers lose in regulation.

The Canadiens will not clinch a playoff berth under any circumstance if they lose in regulation. Nor will the Boston Bruins or Atlanta Thrashers be involved in the Canadiens’ clinching scenario in any way.

1. 21BIGGionta says:

*sigh* its so hard to ignore the trolls when i know im right!!!

“Goaltending is a normal job, sure. How would you like it in your job if every time you made a small mistake, a red light went on over your desk and 15,000 people stood up and yelled at you.” -Plante

2. linp says:

I am referring to what Dave wrote. He is saying that if the Sabres or TO wins tomorrow we’ll have our playoff position by beating NYI.

3. 21BIGGionta says:

GIONTA!! or cammy..yes both would be good…!!

4. punkster says:

Oh, I’m sorry Chris. This is abuse. You want room 12A. Just along the corridor.

There’ll always be a manufactured controversy with this team just as there’ll always be an England. We can’t force the whippersnappers out but we can ignore the trumped up arguments just as we (should) ignore the trolls. Maybe if more people would just let these polarizing remarks slide and not fall for the obvious baiting we could all sleep better. And with that I bid you good night :)

5. 21BIGGionta says:

In my opinion Edmonton will  be somewhat dangerous next year…they just need to pick up a goalie a few good defencemen and they will be up there in the standings next year.

6. HabsFan90 says:

I vote on either Cammalleri or Gionta

7. SeriousFan09 says:

If Hall isn’t caught strangling a girl scout, expect him to go No. 1 at the draft. His Windsor Spitfires are leading Tyler Seguin’s Plymouth Whalers 3-0 in their series and he’s dominated the scoring between the two of them in the series. Unless Seguin leads a miraculous 4-game comeback, the Whalers are dead. It was a contest between No. 1 and No. 2 and Hall’s kicking butt.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

8. Chorske says:

No he isn’t.

;)

9. Habsfan_jay says:

We don’t play the Sabres again in the regular season. The remaining games are against the Islanders, Hurricanes and Leafs.

If you are referring to a possible playoff matchup between the Habs and Sabres, I think Vanek and Connolly will be back by then. They’re both listed as day to day.

With Buffalo pretty much a given to clinch the Northeast division there is no real reason to rush them back, so they can heal up and be ready to go come game 1. I’m pretty confident that if the Habs meet the Sabres come round one Vanek and Connolly will be in the line-up.

10. Big Bird says:

Yes but Halak IS much better Price.

I kid! I kid!

Well said my friend. Well said.

11. Chorske says:

I think the whole site loses when this debate drags on. How many goalies can dance on the head of a pin? It’s boring and juvenile and it is clogging up the site. I don’t get it. It takes nothing away from Halak’s performance to praise Price… and vice versa. It’s the Jesus Pricers vs the Price Choppers, and there is no reasoning with EITHER camp.

I gotta say, this kind of debate is nothing new to the site. There have been intractable discussions about:

- whether the team’s identity should be more French

- whether Koivu is a good captain

- whether Ribeiro / Kovalev / Rivet / Lats etc should have been traded

I think debates are most vicious when there is no correct answer, when both sides have stats to prove they are right. That certainly seems to be the case here. What worries me is that this kind of blathering is chasing away some of the experienced quality posters and leaving the site to trolls with no appreciation for what constitutes a decent online discussion. Sorry to get all GET OFF MY LAWN on the whippersnappers of HIO- I love a good argument, but the Price vs Halak thing is starting to sound like the Argument Sketch from Monty Python.

12. linp says:

Sabres will be missing Vanek and Connolly and TO will be missing Kessel. Let’s concentrate on winning our remaining games and claim the 6th spot with momentum going into the playoff.

13. I_SAY_FIGHT says:

so I was reading the article about halak being the first star of the week and all the comments and i also read the and watched the video of Price and read the comments
    and I noticed one huge difference between the two camps… CLASS
    on the halak board, not one individual insulted halak (even though they prefered Price) or insulted the effort he put into winning. But i’m going to say, from what I saw at the Price video post, that they (some in the halak camp) might have insulted Price’s effort had he won First, Second or Even Third star.
    I appolagize to any respectful halak fan that appreciates both goalies but favours Halak
    but to all of those who flat out HATE price and don’t care what they say because they are idoits.
    GET A LIFE!!!!!