Henderson Jersey Homecoming Tour at Bell Centre Saturday

paul-jersey

Paul Henderson’s Summit Series jersey is coming to Montreal on Saturday.
Courtesy Henderson Jersey Homecoming Tour

An important part of Canadian hockey history parks outside the Bell Centre Saturday, bringing with it three iconic guests.

The Henderson Jersey Homecoming Tour, featuring 1972 Summit Series heroes Paul Henderson, Yvan Cournoyer and Vladislav Tretiak, comes to Montreal from noon to 10 p.m. outside the downtown arena at the Windsor Court entrance to the Canadiens Hall of Fame.

On display, contained in a 48-foot expandable trailer, will be the historic jersey worn by Team Canada’s Henderson in the 1972 series vs. the Soviet Union. It will be joined by other pieces of series memorabilia and interactive exhibits.

Henderson, of course, scored the winning goal in Moscow on Soviet netminder Tretiak with 34 seconds remaining in Game 8, giving Canada a 6-5 victory and a 4-3-1 series win. Henderson had also scored the winners in Games 6 and 7.

The famous jersey was purchased from its American owner by Mitchell Goldhar, owner of the SmartCentres real-estate development company, in a June 2010 Classic Auctions sale. The jersey became Canada’s most expensive piece of sports memorabilia after a final few hours of frenzied online bidding, finally selling for $1,275,707.

Goldhar made it clear that he intended to take the jersey on tour to share it with Canadians, many of whom chewed their fingernails to the cuticle during the Summit Series that was more a contest between political ideologies than it was eight games between two hockey clubs.

“As a lifelong hockey fan, I know how much the series-winning goal against the Soviets meant to Canadians of all ages and backgrounds,” Goldhar said upon winning the auction. “I am proud to bring Paul’s jersey back to Canada.”

The Henderson Jersey Homecoming Tour is free to the public Saturday from noon to 6:30 p.m. and for a while following the Habs-Tampa Bay game.

Henderson, Tretiak and Canadiens great Cournoyer, who scored Game 8’s equalizing goal 6 1/2 minutes before Henderson netted the winner and famously was photographed bearhugging Henderson an instant after the latter had scored, will be on hand to greet visitors from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m.

• More on the Henderson Jersey Homecoming Tour here.

1. MasterHab says:

Hey Boone, you made an error of omission.

Henderson scored the game winner in Game 8, Game 7 AND Game 6. A loss in any of those games would have lost the series for Canada so in essence they were all must-win games.

Yer welcome.

2. TorontoHabsFan says:

From Bruce Arthur’s twitter:

@bruce_arthur marek said he heard that Barch’s comment was something like ‘did you slip on a banana?’ after PK has fallen to the ice.

3. LA Loyalist says:

Ode to Tanking – (Le Tanque)

To tank is rank.
    Like Gary B, it stinks.
    But may be necessary, in addition to scary,
    So just hold our noses, me thinks.

4. DearyLeary says:

Barch gets one game for hurling a slur at PK. A linesman confirms that he heard it.

Contrast that to the English Premier League. There is an assertion that Luis Suarez used a racial slur, no official heard it. They suspend Suarez for 8 games.

8 games in the EPL means more than 8 games in the NHL (fewer games played).

This league is pathetic. As an aside, guess who ruled on this instance? Oh it was good old boy Colie.

5. rogieshan says:

Team still needs to have Plekanec, Cammalleri, Gionta & Gomez at the top of their game. I can’t imagine the four highest-paid forwards on this team accepting a reduced role over the long term, but what is Cunneyworth to do when they are not producing?

Hope Eller’s performance last night means the end of his days as a winger.

• LA Loyalist says:

Gomez hasn’t been in sight of the top of his game in 3 years.

He hasn’t scored in more than FIFTY games.

So please let’s not pretend he is in a slump, or has a nagging injury, or just needs a therapy day… he is done, like the ash on a Rene Levesque cigarette.

Are we stuck with him? Yes, he’s untradeable.

A statue to Bob Gainey’s biggest mistake, which happened, unfortunately, in the cap era when we can’t just bury our mistakes with money.

Sigh.

Gionta is also done, though not so bad. Cammi I have no freaking idea what is up with him. And Pleks is carrying too much of a mental load.

We need a male #1 center. Fire up the van, lads, let’s get over to Wall Mart. What was the aisle number again for #1 centers?

• G-Man says:

Getting on Gio’s case for playing hurt? Cammy is fine- 2 goals in the last 3 or 4 games.
        Hopefully, they all get well and contribute.

• habmanj says:

Who says we can’t bury mistakes with money? Send him to play in Hamilton. Problem sovled. He would probably be a draw in Hamilton …until he played a game or two.

• LA Loyalist says:

When I was a kid, they used to show the Hamilton junior A games on TV, but the camera (was there more than one?) was behind a pillar, so you’d often have a pillar in the coverage.

What this is relevant to, I have no idea. Meds please.

• VancouverHab says:

No matter how long and how loud you say it, your funadamentalist anti-Gomerism is still wrong

If Gionta is back Saturday my guess is Campoli is eating dogs in press box.

• savethepuck says:

I am assuming you mean as opposed to Emelin being in the presser and I agree.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• mdp2011 says:

Not to sure about that, if you look at Gill’s TOI the last 2 games, he only played about 11-12 minutes, so it wouldn’t suprise me if Gill is the healthy scratch. I am not saying its going to happen, only that it wouldn’t suprise me if it did.

• LA Loyalist says:

? Campoli is a D, Gionta is, allegedly, a forward. Why would one displace the other?

Also, Campoli needs to play – he might be Brisebois or he might be Big Bird, we have no idea as he has to play to get up to speed so we know what to do with him – and others – in February. Gionta we know about, for better or worse. It’s not like he’s noticeable out there.

C’est L’Anne du Tanque ™

7. Shane1313 says:

Hey, you know who’s gonna be nice to get back..Ryan White, I miss that kid!

• savethepuck says:

He was originally scheduled for a return in late December but we unfortunately haven’t heard many updates on him

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

8. shiram says:

Don’t know if anyone took notice of this but Tortorella was fined 30,000$ for his comment after the winter classice about the refs.

To me that makes no sense, considering the fines the NHl give out for language or gestures…

• Habfan10912 says:

Shiram, and it is something we’ve all thought and said. Daddy has left this legacy. The game now has a credibility problem.

• shiram says:

Complaining about a real problem affecting the league and it’s games? 30k$
        Flipping off 21000 fans in a playoff game? 2.5k$

Big ole meh to that.

• HabFanSince72 says:

In fairness, the $2500 fine is the max the players agreed to.

If you think about it, Tortorella’s suggestion that the refs were instructed by the league to essentially rig the outcome does great harm to the game.

• shiram says:

Yeah Habsolutely pointed that out below.
            I guess you need to define great harm, because it seems to me that having bad reffing would indeed bad for the game.
            If no one comments on it, how will it ever be changed?

• HabFanSince72 says:

Shiram

The problem is that he didn’t complain about “bad reffing” he implied that the refs were paid off by the league and NBC to send the game to OT.

If I called you a jerk (not that I would) you couldn’t sue me for defamation. But if I went to the papers and said you cheated on your wife or on a college exam, you could.

Big difference between saying the refs suck and the refs are bought.

• HabFanSince72 says:

That being said – Torts is right of course.

• shiram says:

Fair enough.
            They still can’t say the refs suck though, and to me it’s not even about the refs sucking, moreso about them not being enough, or helped enough with technology to make the good calls.

Problem is the CBA, it is written in stone that the largest fine a player can receive is $2,500 (something near that). Coaches on the other hand are not bound by this. In fact he could have been fined much more and suspended. Technically team cannot pay fine, must be coach paying, but they can provide Torterella a bonus at some point in his contract, and that may or may not be $30 grand, especially considereing Sather was steamed at the refs as well.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I read that the Rangers might pay Torts a 30K bonus but it is hard to believe you can circumvent the rules that way.

Yup, even Dreger and Crawford mentioned on TSN last night that the Rangers could very well do that. The league is supposedly against it, but I am sure it happens all the time.

• HabFanSince72 says:

If league rules prohibit the Rangers paying the fine I doubt they are allowed to do it by giving him a bonus. Bettman might let it go, but the Rangers would have a hard time defending it in a court of law.

• Kooch7800 says:

Torts had a right to be mad…the officiating was TERRIBLE in that game. How could you not call that hook on the break away? you can’t say they were looking at something else he had the bloody puck

• LA Loyalist says:

Maybe the ‘gers players will chip in and cover it.

Bettman is an a** – – what’s that going to cost me.

BTW I hope JM watched Eller’s breakout game last night – nice penalty shot.

JM never allowed players to shoot on a penalty shot. He thought it was too risky.

haha, eller crosses blue line on penalty shot chips it in deep in corner and skates back to his own blueline, all the while looking at bench towards JM for approval.

Savethepuck—I do not hate or dislike Markov, he was one of the best 5 defense men in the league. But I do not think he will recover from the same problem that ended Bobby Orr’s career is all. Be great if I am wrong!

• Habfan10912 says:

Ian, I hope you are wrong but I am worried that you may be right.

Don’t worry Jim and Ian, Markov will be back in a little while and will look great. I know a few people that have had the patellar tendon reconstruction done on the ACL and they are loving life and sports large now. Does take a long time to recover though.

I am confident.

• savethepuck says:

Bobby Orr had knee problems in the 70’s. Medical science has done wonders since then. I know you are a passionate fan and probably as frustrated as I am with the results after 40 games but I think of you as a glass half full guy on here and we are losing too many of us. Re Markie, the team is being cautious and making sure he is back for the remainder of his 3 year contract, not half a season. Maybe I’m naive, but that’s what I truly believe. I have tickets with my brother for both games Super Bowl weekend, and I’m hoping he is in the lineup then.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• LA Loyalist says:

Good points. And the drugs are better now, too :-)

Seriously, this year is a write-off. Let Markov heal fully and be a stud for the ReBuild 3.0 ™ in September.

• Ian Cobb says:

Dale, It would be great if he comes back as good as new for sure.
        Have a great time in Montreal and I hope we will be on a winning streak by then. No better feeling than being at the Bell Center when the team is playing well.

• savethepuck says:

My first trip to the Bell from NB and I would hate it to be when the team is playing like crap or rebuilding. Bought the tickets and booked the hotel in September when I thought this team had a lot of promise. A lot of money invested and I don’t want to watch an AHL team.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
          Carey Price

10. Le Jadester says:

So what is it gonna cost to keep AK-Eller-Moen for lets say another 2 years ?

Will we get more if AK and Moen are moved by the deadline ?

I think this line can compete with anybody in the league IMO

Now what is the goat gonna do and why ?

Habs, OLE !

• The Cat says:

Its a good line but I dont think AK and Moen will be back, Moen especially. Theres just no money.

• price365 says:

The Habs are not back – that was one game – if they could put together 3-5 games like last night only than I’ll believe they’re starting to come back – like I said before we have too many injury prone players and most games they play scared of re-injury that’s the way it goes – tough players like Boston – they come to play every night – that’s what the Habs need.

11. habs03 says:

PK just tweeted that Gomez bought everyone on the team ugg boots. Gomez not only is overpaid but he sucks and I hope he is sent down this summer or wtv, but man he one hell of a dude. Love the guy outside his hockey skills.

12. MTLCANADIENS says:

Does everyone think the habs are back! or is this just one of those games were we looked like a dynamite team and then play the usual style the next game

• habsnyc says:

depends on whether the Jets made stupid turnovers in their own zone or whether Montreal created those turnovers. a well rested team can play aggressively at home.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Habfan10912 says:

One thing I know for sure. Team worked very hard last night from start to finish and most played with energy. I sure hope its a trend setter.

• Kooch7800 says:

look at the Ottawa game as a point of reference…the next few games didn’t go so well. This team is still very fragile and needs to get their confidence back. They have some tough games coming up so there is a lot of work to be done.

Last night was just one win

13. habs03 says:

One thing I liked about RC last night was he did something I haven’t see Carbo or JM do, well I haven’t see an coach do it. When he dressed 7 D-men, and 11 Forwards, instead of having 1 D-men play forward on the 4th line, he rolled 7 d-men, and give a few guys some extra minutes on the 4th line, I really liked it.

Ps. I did that stupid profile pic thing, is it normal that it doesn’t show up right away?

14. aj says:

I’m interested to know how this drama will unfold regarding to the Head Coaching Job for next season.

Interestingly enough that the Phoenix Coyotes are now having plans to move out and would soon have a new place to relocate. As according to Elliot Friedman, the best possible places for relocation are: Seattle, Quebec City, Las Vegas and Kansas City.

We all know here that Quebec City is by far the most logical candidate for this relocation, hence this article:

Suppose if Quebec City does get the Nordiques back and they would really need a “Bilingual” coach, wouldn’t you suppose as well that Patrick Roy might change his mind for Montreal and instead coach for the Nordiques (if it will happen)?

The thing that I am confident about right now is that we have a Unilingual Coach (interim at the moment) who is willing to make this team change. If that is so, maybe Gauthier is right for booting out Martin and putting RC has a head coach. Also, wouldn’t you suppose as well that if ever they make it to the playoffs under Coach Cunneyworth, Molson might not fire Gauthier after all. We shall see within the next few games this January on how the Habs will fair out with the rest of their opponents.

I hope RC gets to speed-up his learning of French and that he stays long term here in Montreal. I like his style of coaching.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I hope Quebec City doesn’t get a franchise.

First, it will only hurt the Habs. Make no mistake, they will siphon off money and fans from us.

Two, the Quebec govt. would fund the building of an arena off taxpayer’s backs. Charest is fighting for his life so he will throw our own money at us to his dying day.

Three, Peladeau sucks. I mean REALLY sucks. Did anyone notice how Le Journal de Montreal has been leading the charge against Cunneyworth and Molson with inflammatory headlines? Or how the rags he owns from coast to coast push rightwing small govt. policies despite the fact that there is no bigger suckler at the govt teat than Quebecor?

• Ian Cobb says:

I am with you on the point of no franchise for Quebec city. I would put one in Halifax or Regina first, even Belleville.

• G-Man says:

Despite everything, Quebec should have a NHL team. The economic malaise of the 90s are long past and Canada should have 10 teams. The fact that only 6 teams brought in 1/3 of the NHL’s total revenue last season speaks volumes about how fans here love hockey and are willing to pay for it. Can’t say that for all the stupid sunshine state teams.

• aj says:

@HabFanSince72:

Well I hope so too. Another team for a Province that puts language headaches to an Anglophone sports organization like the NHL? No Way! Quebec City does not deserve to have a franchise due to their prejudice and lack of social education.

I wrote a letter to Mr. Bettman on their diversity affairs in NHL.com. I got no response. This issue that Quebecers are gawking about respect for the “Langue Maternelle” has gone totally exaggerated!!

I think Bettman, no matter how bad he run this league, should take responsibility and tell to Mr. Labeaume, Mr. Péladeau, Charest gov’t and the city of Quebec City that the NHL “IS AN ANGLOPHONE INSTITUTION” and that their reasoning for asking a Bilingual Coach is really bias and uncreditable in current standards. They can get Roy, Carbonneau or whoever it is, as long as they don’t ‘force’ the governing bodies of the NHL and the Anglophone people on learning french.

• MasterHab says:

A team in Quebec City won’t hurt the Habs as much as it will help them. Do you think it’s a mere coincidence that the Habs started sucking immediately after the Nords left for Denver?
        As soon as they had the Quebec market all to themselves again the Habs got complacent. They need to be challenged and threatened in order to have their competitive fire stoked. Rivalries with Boston and Toronto aren’t enough. They need some “internal” pressure. Having a competing team in their own market will hit the Habs in the only place they care about: the pocketbook. And since this team no longer reacts to bad results on the ice, we as fans need to see them goaded into reacting to lost revenues.

As long as they can be a good team, the Habs will never need to fear the Nordiques. But if they plan on having more seasons like the one we’re seeing now they’ll pay dearly for it. I see this as a good thing. The only way to reach the gang on the 7th floor is to see to it that they don’t make as much money as they’re expecting to make. Only then will sorely-needed changes get made. Molson won’t try to fix what ain’t broken and as long as people keep packing the Bell Centre to watch the crap we’re seeing this season we will be doomed to more of the same.

Back when the Nordiques were around the Habs had to actually work to make a buck. In my view it isn’t former Nordiques fans who need a team back in Quebec City; it’s us Habs fans.

Now since I live in BC I don’t have to deal with how this new arena will be paid for, I admit. But I am paying for the 2010 Olympics so let’s call it even. For me, I might like to see the Yotes move to Seattle and allow me the chance to see the Habs cheaper than I can in Vancouver. But a team in Seattle isn’t going to make the Habs front office try harder to win. Having a team in Quebec City just might.

15. The Dude says:

Well with everything going south at least for one night the Habs had the “Best Hockey Player in the World” and a rare win! Wouldn’t it be nice if this was the norm………….

16. Chrisadiens says:

Lost in all this “Ellervation”, Kaberle now has 8 points in 11 games for the Habs. How does PG keep pulling off these D-men trades? MAB, Wiz, now Kaberle. Gotta give him credit where its due.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• savethepuck says:

PG has been great at getting the Markov bandaids over the last few years.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

17. savethepuck says:

Did Mr. Stubbs miss a decimal point or was he correct that Henderson’s Jersey sold for 1.275 million dollars. Holy fruck, that’s incredible.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

18. ed lopaz says:

I have not been that entertained since the Habs 5-1 win over Philly during that miracle playoff run.

I was lucky to be at that game, and left the Bell thinking the Habs would certainly take out Philly and maybe win the Cup.

That was a long, long time ago!

Just to show you how hockey games are decided by the slimmest of margins, last night, the score was 3-2, less than 1 minute left in the second, when Diaz took a penalty for pushing a Jet into Price.

From the ensuing face off, the Jets controlled in our zone, and Bogosian unleashed a terrific shot that rang off the post!!

Price was beaten cleanly, and had that gone in, not only would the Jets have completed their comeback, both teams would have headed to the dressing rooms feeling like the Jets had all of the momentum.

That, my friends, is why Patrick used to talk to his goalposts.

• shiram says:

Price actually got a glove on that shot, and that made it hit the post, so he was not clearly beat but he did not get all of it.
      But yea, the Habs looked weak and defeated at times in the first and second, and at 3-2 I was nervous they’d lose it.
      Hopefully it’s a sign that things can and will change.

• ed lopaz says:

thanks for the clarification.

I think it is a sign that things will change.

I’m not sure if the “change” will come fast enough for this season, but I am hopeful.

Eller will never be the same player again – that was his “coming out party”.

It was so crazy that the Habs were trying to force him to the wing.

The guy loves the puck; retrieves and controls it.

Leblanc is the same way.

Leblanc is a much better center than a winger.

I have seen him play center at the midget level and in junior.

We should definitely keep that in mind as Leblanc develops further.

• savethepuck says:

I find it funny you saying that the game would of been different if the Jets didn’t hit the post there, but if it’s ever mentioned here that the Habs were 1 post away from winning a hockey game, it doesn’t hold water. And I agree with Shiram, Price got a piece of that before it hit the post.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

19. Clay says:

There’s is an understandable amount of excitement about Eller’s 4 goals last night. But, um…wasn’t Jan Bulis the last player to have a 4 goal game for the Habs?
    My point being that you can’t predict long term success on the basis of one game. We’re all happy for Eller though…may he have many more 4 goal games (only as a Hab).

__________________________
    ☞ “Talent is a gift from God, but you only succeed with hard work. Yvan was proof of that.” – Jean Beliveau. ☜

• habstrinifan says:

Jan Bulis is no Eller. You can see the quality skills in Eller. Smooth stick-handler with good touch of grit and we are finding out a streak of no b.s attitude … check his interviews which seem to have one or two faux pas but really shows he has a mind of his own.

RC’s increase in Eller’s ice time has given Eller self-belief. He wont be a scoring machine, I dont think, but he will be at least our no. 2 centre.. and will become a great PK man too I think.

• likehoy says:

we’ll see.. we still have gomez and gionta coming back so maybe eller will be overshadowed by the blackhole that is Scott Gomez.

– If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

• habstrinifan says:

Don’t think RC will use Gomez same way JM did. I see Gomez as a checker type, grab the puck and skate off time player from now on. If Gomez is judiciously used then I think Gionta’s effectiveness and inclusion in the offensive surge will be a benefit. Regardless, count on Eller being paramount from here on.

• likehoy says:

I don’t see how anyone thinks Gomez can be a checker.. he equals cammalleri in softness. He’s not going to win any puck battles in the corner, he backchecks softly by waving his stick like he’s actually trying to propel the opposition with wind power.. Gomez is either in a scoring role or in an overpaid role. There’s no in between for that guy.

– If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

• avatar_58 says:

Actually Gomez can and will be a checker. Not in the “slam you into the boards” sense, but he can take the puck and hang on to it. He can waste time and burn out the opposition. Leave the goal scoring to Eller and Plek’s lines.

• habstrinifan says:

Like-hoy see avatar_58 for a perfrct explanation of what I mean by a checker re Gomez.

• savethepuck says:

Good assessment of Lars.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

20. habstrinifan says:

Guess I have become a sourpuss re the team. I like everything about the win and of course Lars Eller’s brilliance. But everytime I start to really enjoy the feeling of their victory and their entertaining play, I get wary.

I remember the great feeling after the Ottawa win and heading into the Florida weekend. That was a bummer.

Please let it be 2 IN A ROW after Saturday. We didnt really suck against Tampa so it is should be better than 50-50 odds.

TWO IN A ROW… then a real playoff push!! Come on boys.

No weird stuff between now and Sarurday.

We now have a coach that knows how to work with our younger players and bring their game and confidence up to NHL caliber of play.
    Martin was a disaster for this franchise. He could never work with the younger kids, even in Ottawa. Like to have a few kids back that got away the last few years. I like Cunneyworth, he will do just fine, and will be our coach here next season. Once he has time away from his coaching duties, he will learn how to say Bonjour tout le monde and shut the bigots up.

• Danno says:

I’ll bet he know how to say “Et le but!” now. :-)

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• habstrinifan says:

TWO IN A ROW Ian… we need that badly and I feel it will kinda settle everything down and the team will take off. Gionta back in the lineup WILL help. Say what you will about his captaincy off the ice, on the ice he helps a LOT.

• stevieray says:

Eller’s nite …however how about my boy AK ..just dandy he was !
      Hopefully he can keep it going . That line is cruisin’.. partner.
      RC will be just fine …..
      QUI ! even a old boot like myself can learn !!

• habstrinifan says:

True True.. I dont know the final TOI but there was a point in the game when he had had more ice time than any forward…. a rare happening.

Edit well I better stop posting: dont want to get too much into it until after Saturday. Can’t deal with the ‘low’ episod eof last Florida trip again.

GO HABS GO…. TWO IN A ROW!

• shiram says:

Ak46 had a normal 15:20 TOi according to the Habs website.
          It shows Cole has the only forward with more than 17 minutes.
          Randomly, Campoli had 13:37 Toi.
          That guy is elite.

• habsnyc says:

But RC also benched LL and the team is 2-6 with him as coach. I do not like to read much into any one game. Eller was still on the third line and I have yet to see him take a shot in a shootout or get real powerplay time.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

22. habs03 says:

So anyone know what happened to the fools protesting last night for not having a French speaking coach?

Ps. can someone plz tell me how to put a display pic, member since 2007, and didn’t care at first but now I got a funny picture I wanna put up. Thx!

23. price365 says:

IMO: These lines for saturday

1st – max-pac Pleks Cole
    2nd – AK Eller Moen
    3rd – Cammy DD Gionta
    4th – Darche Nokelainen Blunden

RC is a good coach, lets the players play – with a little luck we could still make the playoffs – the team is too small we know that but they’re not as bad as their record indicate.
    the longer RC is with them the better this team will become.

• habs03 says:

I like it but, I’d switch Cole with Gionta, just to give some size for each line. But seeing how we have last change at home, I think RC can put a line of Cammy-DD-Gionta vs the right matcup if needed.

• habsnyc says:

the team is not going to put is two highest paid forwards on the third line. regardless of what the right hockey decision might be, they are going to give first line minutes to gionta and cammalleri to get them out of their slumps.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• price365 says:

it’s not about minutes – it’s about winning if they want to make the playoffs. not too many 3rd lines would be any better than Cammy, DD, Gionta – that’s why we have to match lines with teams – the 1st two lines of Max-pac, Pleks, Cole Ak Eller Moen why break them up give it a couple of games and see what happens.

• Ian Cobb says:

Is Gionta playing Saturday night.? If so I like the lines.

• Welks says:

I would just make one swap:

1) Cammy Pleks Cole
      2) AK Eller Moen
      3) Max DD Gionta
      4 Darche Noke Blunden

DD and Max have good chemistry and it adds some grit to each line. And the way Cole has been going he has been boosting the play of his line mates.

Bobcat Bob
      Price365
      Now your talking — you have to believe!! RC has them forechecking hard.

24. Danno says:

What a great event. Sorry I can’t make it.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

Fun game to watch for a change, I was so mellow and confident, that I fell asleep with the score at 3 to 2, woke up at 6 to 2. Blood pressure is just fine today.

Now lets leave Eller’s line in tacked, while trying to create another with chemistry. The younger players are our future.

Markov, Gomez, Weber and Campolie will be moved out somehow.
    Gionta and Plekanic. Cole and Cammillaire, are safe for now.

• smiler2729 says:

Trade Pleky?? Are you kidding??? The commentariat here will have a cow! He’s their golden boy who can do no wrong! At $6 million per year for the next 5 or is it 5 per for the next 6? Whatever.

The guy can’t win a faceoff when it matters most and fades away every March to become the little girl come playoff time.

He’ll end up being an expensive 3rd line center like I’ve always said as Eller gets better and better.

Just sayin’ is all…

___________________________________
      Jack Edwards sucks chowdah chunks

• shiram says:

6 years at 5millions, and we have no one to replace him, and no upcoming free agent are at his level.
        I don’t see why you dislike him so, care to tell me why?
        And Eller worst than Pleks on the draw, so that’s no reason…

• Ian Cobb says:

I do not dislike Pleks at all. I just think that he has great trade value for first round picks from the last few years or future.

• shiram says:

I did not mean to say you dislike Pleks, but that Smiler does, sorry for the confusion Ian.
            Of course he has great trade value, he is one of the top 30 centers in the NHL and I don’t see any incentive of trading him unless we get someone back that can replace him.
            So why move him at all?

• likehoy says:

plekanec is still our leading scorer and most complete player on the team.. Trading him means we’re tanking

Eller had maybe THREE good games all year.. and we’re ready to bet the bank on the kid??

We’ve all bet the bank for Subban and that hasn’t turned out too great yet.

– If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

• Ian Cobb says:

I think we bet the farm on Markov and Gomez which has not turned out very well me thinks.

• savethepuck says:

That’s 3 posts or replies Ian that you are bashing Markov. Why the hate for someone you should remember was our best player the last decade. His setback on his knee is not his fault, he’s a true professional and competitor and is working his ass off to get back on the ice healthy for this team ( contrary to what some may believe ). I have said it numerous times over the last few months that Andrei Markov will succeed in making as many posters on here eat crow as Carey Price did.
            Copy that statement, save it , whatever and next summer if I was wrong you have my permission to post it on here and call me an idiot.
            I know it has been a while but I can’t believe people have forgotten how good he really is. He was our best player for maybe 5 years.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
            Carey Price

• Ian Cobb says:

So how many centers do we need on the team that take to many penalties, get thrown out of the face off all the time while winning very few.

• Ian Cobb says:

Smiler— I forgot that Gionta was not a Center, so I have to keep Plekanic to go with Eller, Desharness and Nokalainen. I am going to call Plekanic right away to let him know that I had just made a mistake.

• shiram says:

Gio is not a center, and moving Pleks would be a very bad move unless you get an equivalent player coming back, so why move him in the first place?

26. shiram says:

I guess that can explain why coaches contract are basically bulletproof, and they always get their salaries.
    Still is an annoying thing to witness.

27. HFX-HabFan says:

Good attempt at sounding educated, but it’s spelled aberration, not abberration. Your trolling skills are still mediocre at best.

28. Bobcat Bob says:

Bobcat Bob
    And you, of course, are a great hockey expert– get lost on this site –you piece of (*&^%)

29. Brassmonkey says:

He just needed a breakout game…maybe the rest of the team will start shooting straight now.

30. G-Man says:

Judy, Judy, Judy. Poor lost, confused and generally demented Judy.
    Go haunt another bridge, will ya?

31. LA Loyalist says:

Come on, be a little gracious. It was his coming out party (not that kind of coming out party, we hope, or he’d be a soccer player).

Eller, like Price, should have spent more time in Hamilton, it’s not his fault that we are managed by ego-maniac fools. Now he is developing nicely out from under the “punt!” “punt” (But Coach! It’s first down!) turtle mentality of Jacques Martin.

L’anne du Tanque ™

32. Bobcat Bob says:

Bobcat Bob
    HH, you and I actually agree on something LOL

33. Pucker Up says:

You’re just bitter because someone tossed your date onto the ice after Eller’s hat trick goal.

34. habmanj says:

Ha! That’s gold Pucker Up …Gold!

35. habmanj says:

Back to school little one …the short bus leaves early.