Healthy Price heads into pivotal summer

price-horse

Here’s the iPhone photo Carey Price snapped then messaged last Friday to HIO’s Dave Stubbs, saying he was a little too busy at the moment to return a call. Price was setting out on a training ride in Vernon, B.C., on his Quarter Horse named Fuzz. He says he regularly reads his text-messages – and sends his own – while he’s on horseback.
Courtesy Carey Price

Canadiens goaltender Carey Price spoke exclusively and at length with The Gazette and Hockey Inside/Out Saturday night from his offseason home in Kelowna, B.C.

The 24-year-old happily reported he’s fully recovered from the concussion, compressed spine and sore neck that sidelined him for the season’s final four games.

Then Price spoke about his impending restricted free-agent status; the rodeo circuit on which he’ll compete this summer; the Stanley Cup playoffs; the fate that awaits his friend and fellow Kelowna resident Josh Gorges should the defenceman try anything funny to welcome Price to his new home; and much more.

Read the feature-length story here.

1. frontenac1 says:

Jols101.Agreed ,Bryan Allen,local Kingston boy is one heleva D,but I think he could be a tad expensive as UFA but would love to see him in CH! Erskine at $1.5 million in a trade for Swiss guys would be a steal!

2. SuperHabFan says:

MCDONAGH!!!!

3. Gumper Knows Best says:

Why do y’all panic about a coach?
    A coach coaches what’s given to him
    He doesn’t choose a team.
    Who knows what RFAs UFAs trades will be signed or made by training camp.

Hire Coco Lemaire for just 1 year.
    He has no one left to hate.
    They are all gone.

Get him Patrick Roy as his associate and sign him for 3 years with the understanding that he takes over after 1 year unless…
    Get back Robinson or Pointu Guy Lapointe to take care of all the dmen on the Habs and the prospects coming.
    Hire Mario Tremblay just for fun…to open the doors at the end of the bench like he did for Coco in Minny and Jersey.
    That will keep the hounds at bay for at least 7 minutes.

Get a Q coach for Hamilton and 1 for the Habs press box until Coco leaves.

Tell the rest of the old worn out wackos at RDS to go fishing and let them continue to trash anything and everything Habs.
    What a gang of self-promoting garbage bin holders.

4. Gumper Knows Best says:

Sign George Parros at 12:00 and 1 second July 1st.
    He is still the heavyweight King.
    He destroys people
    He played for $875K last year in Anaheim
    He comes cheap.
    He averaged 6:23 minutes per game last year

Just sit him on the bench and the smurfs just grew 4″ and 25 pounds.

Thorton will be a good little boy and leave Subban alone if he sees the Parros beast of 6’5″ 230 on the bench
    Lucic will run to the toilet to change his soiled underwear because that big nose will have a 90 degree turn when Parros has his way with the phony goofball.
    He won’t run Price like he ran Miller
    Marchand will call in sick or dive.
    Boychuck and McQuaid will get the Bell Fever

Parros-http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/1859

5. FanCritic says:

A two year deal for Roy. with the right players in place he’ll take us to the playoffs that’s as far as we’re going for awhile…

• Ron in Ottawa says:

So, I think there are 3 main contenders:
      Patrick Roy- explosive, entertaining, but no proven record in the NHL
      Carbo- did really well his first year then the wheels fell off. It looked like he lost control of the team but who knows how much interference he was getting from BG.
      Therien- has he matured enough for another go with the Habs?
      i think they need someone with some passion behind the bench. Someone who knows about winning and who knows about the crazy fans in Montreal who all know best. so we need someone with thick skin. My choice would be Carbo but I’m only saying that because i like him. Mostly, I am not that convinced that any of the names mentioned, including Hartley and Crawford, have what it takes. maybe someone completely unknown?

6. Max_a_million says:

@Tom Nickle
    I didn’t include Alex Auld playing 7 games in any stats I put forth.

Crawford won 7 series in 15 years. It takes 4 to win a cup, you make 7 sound like it’s a good thing.

Simply said the Canadiens deserve, and should push for much better than Marc Crawford. We should not looking to be an average team. If you want to cheer for an average team, go convince Nashville to hire Marc Crawford and cheer for them. Yuck the terrible mediocrity of talking about the man leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

In 15 seasons missed playoffs 7 times! Won a playoff series in only 3 of 15 seasons, or lost 5 of 8 times in first round. Lost 3 of those 5 first round playoff series with a goalie ranked in top 4 in save percentage for the season. Led the best team in the world to a 1998 Olympic 4th place finish (apparently Hasek beat them in the bronze medal game as well???). Not good! Just not good at all!

Hey I was promoted to Max_2_million, on account of the Euro apparently! Hurray!

7. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

Alright, so it’s pretty much a unanimous agreement that we should take Galchenyuk with our #3 pick.

I think we should nab Martin Firk with our #33 pick, he’s a big, skilled power winger who slipped out of the first round due to injury issues, he could be a steal.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

If Frk’s still around at #32/#33 I think It’ll have more to do with him being a European playing in the LHJMQ, who lost half the season to injury, and didn’t play in the 2012 world junior championships, than any objective assessment of his talent or potential, I like him too, but Timmins and Bergevin have a pretty good track record and way better information than I do, so I can live with whatever they decide.

“I’m not opposed to trading Plekanec and/or Markov”
      - Sean Bonjovi

8. RJ says:

Let’s trade Gomez to the Rangers for McDonagh.

“My face is my mask,” Gump Worsley

9. aj says:

How about like this: Bryzgalov as the new Goalie of the Maple Leafs. How’s that sound?

10. jols101 says:

I would agree that the Leafs should take Subban with their 5th pick if they do not trade up, but this year is different because there are two top teir goal tenders available. Luongo and Timmy Thomas are both available through trade. Burke is backed in a corner right now, he has not made the playoffs in 4 seasons as GM of the Leafs and he realizes if they don’t make it next year he is done. So, while they should invest in their future with Malcom Subban, Burke will get either Thomas or Luongo. His job and reputation are on the line. And I hate to say this but with either Luongo or Thomas it is hard not to see the Leafs in the playoffs. I know, I know it killed me just typing that last sentence….

• TomNickle says:

The Leafs will make the playoffs if….

1. They get quality goaltending
      2. They find scoring depth beyond Kessel and Lupul
      3. Their defensemen other than Phaneuf and Gardiner figure out how to play defense.
      4. Carlyle adapts his coaching style to the player personnel that he has on that roster.
      5. Their good players stay healthy

• aj says:

Leafs will/might take Luongo. The Bruins won’t make a trade for Thomas IMO.

• Cardiac says:

Even with Jesus Christ in nets, nothing will guarantee the Leafs make the playoffs.

Goaltending woes are only a part of that team’s problems. Although Kessel was an immediate solution, makes you wonder what type of team they could have been with Seguin up front with Dougie Hamilton on defense and Subban in goal.

- Jerry Maguire

• jols101 says:

Oh, I agree 100%. While Kessel is reaching expectations that trade will haunt the leafs for the next decade or so. In addition to Seguin and Dougie Hamilton they also lost Jareed Knight(i believe thats his name) and he might be an impact NHLer in the near future.
        While the Leafs have to address other areas, their goaltending is what hurt them the most last season. Luongo or Thomas will be immediate and great improvements over the debacle they had in goal last season…

11. TomNickle says:

I’m bored so I’ll do a mock draft off of the top of my head.

1. Edmonton Oilers – Ryan Murray
    26. Vancouver Canucks – Gemel Smith
    27. Phoenix Coyotes – Tomas Hertl
    28. New York Rangers – Phillip Di Giuseppe
    29. Los Angeles Kings – Jarrod Maidens
    30. New Jersey Devils – Michael Houser

• jols101 says:

Wow, good work, you must be bored. lol.
      So you have the B’s taking our 2nd round pick in the first round. I hope your wrong but i noticed you have Gaunce slipping out of the first round and if you are right, he should be our 2nd round pick…

• TomNickle says:

Gaunce shouldn’t be a first round pick and that seems to be the prevailing thinking among media outlets now for what it’s worth.

He’s been a real Houdini for the Bulls. If he had been even remotely consistent over the last two years he’d be a top ten pick in my opinion.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Ah so i see you’ve changed your mind and think the leafs will go after Subban. I was saying they would take him 5th overall when he was ranked in the high teens or low twenties… ;-)

• TomNickle says:

The only reason today that I feel they’ll take him is because I don’t feel that Edmonton can trade out of that #1 pick with all of the uncertainty at the top of the draft. Tambellini can easily justify taking Murray ahead of Yakupov and probably won’t get a trade offer to his liking for the pick.

With Galchenyuk and Forsberg off of the board I see Burke going for the best available goaltender instead of the second or possibly even third best defenseman available.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I just think with all the heat on him (Burke) for not having Ontario players on the team or a good starting goaltender that he might pick Subban.

• TomNickle says:

Subban would very likely be able to step in as their goaltender next year. He’s that athletic.

• Cardiac says:

You think him and Phaneuf will be doing a couple of triple low fives in a season or two?

- Jerry Maguire

• Bripro says:

Agreed. The kid’s as effective in nets as his brother is on D, and his head seems to be screwed on a little tighter too.

• Ozmodiar says:

Jankowski was one of Button’s questionable rankings.

He was ranked 74th on TSN’s mid-season rankings…and that was just for NA skaters (off the top of my head).

I think his uncle works in the Habs scouting dept, so maybe we’ll have an eye on him in round 2.

• jols101 says:

BTW I agree that Galchenyuk should be our pick. I think he will be the best player to come out of this draft. I believe if not for the freak knee injury he would be the consensus #1

• Bripro says:

I see two issues worthy of rebuttal.
      Don’t get upset! ;)
      I think the Maple Leafs will try to trade up in order to pick Murray.
      If they succeed, that will have meant that they’ve acquired Luongo.
      But the surprise for me is how far Grigorenko has fallen. I would have thought top 5 for certain.

EDIT: And I see below that you would like the Habs to chose him anyway. What’s the reasoning?

• TomNickle says:

The reason I have Grigorenko at #9 is because the GM’s in between #4 and #9 are Brian Burke, Bob Murray, Jim Rutherford and Chuck Fletcher.

Not exactly the most open minded fellows.

• Bripro says:

:D
          I should have seen that coming. True.
          But if you’re wish is true (and that would be just fine with me as well), then he won’t make it to 9.
          I would like to know if he’ll be NHL-ready come september.
          From what I’ve read, the pool is so shallow this year that only Murray will be ready. He’s certainly climbed fast!

• TomNickle says:

I would have no problem with this team taking either Galchenyuk or Grigorenko.

The only picks that I wouldn’t be fond of for the Habs at #3 that are remotely realistic or Dumba, Reilly or Forsberg.

Any of Yakupov, Grigorenko, Murray or Galchenyuk would be great in my opinion

1. Yakupov
            2. Galchenyuk
            3. Grigorenko
            4. Murray

• Bripro says:

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Bergevin picked Murray if he’s available.
            He played great at the worlds. It addresses the power D need we discussed.
            But I’m surprised by your assessment of Forsberg. I only saw him play part of the one game where they beat Russia, and he was without a doubt the best player on the ice.
            Very rugged, high octane. I was impressed.
            I hadn’t heard good things about him to that point, but I figure if he has the ability to play like that, then there’s no question he’ll be a superstar if he’s well groomed.

• TomNickle says:

He played about 10 minutes in that game Bripro. I think you have him confused with somebody else.

Mika Zibanejad, Oscar Klefbom and Max Friberg were pretty damn good.

Forsberg didn’t have a single shot on goal in that game.

• Bripro says:

Seriously Tom, look it up.
            At the U-018, Sweden won the B-Group by beating Russia, and he scored both goals for Sweden.

EDIT: Here are the two goals in that game.

• TomNickle says:

Only problem with that theory Bri is that Forsberg played on the under 20 WJHC squad and didn’t score a goal in the gold medal game and as I said didn’t register a shot on net.

You didn’t see an under 18 game between Sweden and Russia televised because it wasn’t televised.

• Cardiac says:

So Grigorenko all the way down to 9? A tad similar to Angelo Esposito, no? Maybe it has to do with their crazy coach in Quebec city…

- Jerry Maguire

• TomNickle says:

I believe that the GMs in the spots that sit in between the Islanders and Jets are as old school as they come and will avoid a Russian at all costs.

• aj says:

@ TomNickle:

“3. Montreal Canadiens – Alex Galchenyuk”

I was thinking of the same thing too. Or, the Habs could pick Filip Forsberg instead of Mikhail Grigorenko. Obviously, the Habs might pick Grigorenko. But if that’s the case, I would like to see a trade at draft day for possibly a Plekanec or Eller plus the 3rd pick at the 1st round for Jordan Staal of the Penguins.

This could also be a longshot (just my opinion, I know ppl. won’t agree with it), they could trade Gionta for whoever the team might pick Yakupov, Galchenyuk, or Forsberg + a Top 6 Forward with size and scoring punch.

• TomNickle says:

Jordan Staal isn’t worth the #3 overall pick alone in my opinion.

I wouldn’t be trading this pick. And nothing about Forsberg is elite offensively.

• aj says:

Well, let’s see. If its Grigorenko that the Habs will pick at the 1st round, then maybe Bergevin might pull off a trade (i hope so). But, if its with either Yakupov, Galchenyuk, or Forsberg, I don’t think a trade might happen. Plus, like I said, maybe they could put Pleky or the great dane for a trade to get a top centerman like Jordan Staal.

EDIT: so hypothetically, Grigorenko (if that’s the Habs pick) + Pleks or Eller, then go for a trade to get a big centerman like Jordan Staal.

• TomNickle says:

I have no idea what you’re saying.

• Cardiac says:

Promise you’ll add me on XBox Live when you’re done all your line shuffling.

- Jerry Maguire

• ont fan says:

Never going to trade for Staal. You can come up with all the scenarios you want.

12. Mr_MacDougall says:

Jacques Lemaire for head coach for 1-2 seasons, giving Management time to find a long term candidate. Jacques would instill a great system for the future coach to build upon.

• shiram says:

Pretty sure he said he was not interested.

• Cardiac says:

Coaching this team at this point in his career would the equivalent of a non-mandatory colonoscopy… he’d be getting screwed up the butt when he doesn’t need to be.

- Jerry Maguire

13. shiram says:

Ralph Krueger
    Sean Simpson
    Vyacheslav Bykov
    they are my dark horses for the HC job. I know barely anything about this trio, but at least it’s not rehashing the same 4-5 guys.
    Vyacheslav Bykov speaks french too! I’m sure he could motivate any Russian player that might happen to wear a Habs jersey.

Krueger, good Mennonite kid from Steinbach, Manitoba. He’s good in my books! Actually not sure about him for NHL, seems he has his teams play alot like JM. However, I think he would allow the team to be physical, something JM seemed to dissaprove of.

14. TomNickle says:

The more negative press that Mikhail Grigorenko gets, the more I want the Habs to draft him.

Reminds me of John Tavares being too slow and irresponsible defensively to become an excellent NHL player.

• sane hockey fan says:

Source?

• LNev says:

I hope Burkie has a press conferance to annouce how he’s going to do whatever it takes to get Grigorenko.

The Tavares presser was a classic….

Haha, oh that is great memories, thanks for the reminder. Made me chuckle, it was right up there with him saying he was going after the twins in Vancouver as well.

• sane hockey fan says:

Stop making shit up to support your own opinions. Tavares was granted exceptional status to play in the ohl at 14. He was the CHL rookie of the year in 2006, player of the year in 2007 when he broke GRETZKY ohl goals record. He holds the record for most goals in an OHL career. And it continues:

Tavares was the focus of an unsuccessful push to have the NHL’s draft rules changed to allow him to participate in the 2008 Entry Draft, as well as an attempt to allow him to play in the American Hockey League as a 17-year-old in 2007. Tavares was ranked as the top prospect for the 2009 draft by both National Hockey League (NHL) Central Scouting and International Scouting Services.
      Tavares has represented Canada at five International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) sanctioned events, including the 2010 and 2011 World Championships. At the under-20 level, he won gold medals at the 2008 and 2009 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships. He was named the most valuable player of the 2009 tournament after scoring eight goals and fifteen points in six games. He also participated in the 2006 IIHF World U18 Championships, but failed to medal. Additionally, Tavares represented Canada Ontario at the 2006 World U-17 Hockey Challenge and 2007 Super Series.

I don’t think anyone said that he was in any way NOT going to become an excellent NHL hockey player. He CERTAINLY didn’t get anywhere near the bad press grigo is getting. Christ I saw him on Letterman before he was even drafted!!

I don’t think Tom was condemning Tavares, in fact as I recall Tom loves Tavares. But there were some people that started to slag him as draft day approached. Chances are it was other teams hoping the Islanders would believe the crap so that they wouldn’t draft him.

• sane hockey fan says:

Again, source?

• TomNickle says:

Memory. For the last month leading up to that draft Bob McKenzie said that he believed that Tavares would be the #1 overall pick but that scouts and GM’s around the league were curious to see how it would play out because many of them felt that Tavares was too slow and not responsible enough defensively to become a franchise player. Many of them believed that Hedman and Duchene were more pro-ready and that they presented more long term upside in terms of versatility.

If you saw draft coverage in 2009 on TSN you saw that.

• Cardiac says:

In some alternate universe, John Tavares and Rick Nash get drafted by decent teams and actually reach their maximum potential.

- Jerry Maguire

• TomNickle says:

I was comparing Grigorenko’s recent slide to TSN’s vomit in ’09 that Duchene and Hedman were both pro-ready and better long term prospects than Tavares.

I believe Tavares should have been nominated for the Selke this season and I have him among my top 5 players in the league.

15. mark_ID says:

I havn’t been able to catch any games, wondering how Ryan Murray is doing at the World’s??

“I think I may have found a way to get us Bonds and Griffey, and we really wouldn’t give up that much” – Costanza

• Cardiac says:

5 GP
      0 Pts
      Averaging around 9 min a game

- Jerry Maguire

16. frontenac1 says:

Check out Erskines last fight with Bolton on youtube. Yeah man,now you’re talkin!

17. frontenac1 says:

Trade the Swiss guys to the Caps for Erskine!