Headline of the day

On Scott Cullen’s TSN blog:

Before the Devils know they’re dead

They are so screwed without Martin Brodeur …

Ring … ring … ring: "Hello, Lou! We’ve got this guy named Jaroslav Halak …"

More likely dance partners: Chicago or Edmonton.

• TSN goaltender rankings

Best, worst free agent signings, per Jay Feester

1. smiler2729 says:

Who would Halak get us off the Devils’ roster? Their defence is made up of a bunch of no-name 4th dmen…

2. carmine007 says:

I agree Tom however, I did like the way Desjardins played for us in the Pre-season. I’m not certain how well he’s doing in hamilton.

It’s NEVER over til it’s OVER!

3. carmine007 says:

Chorske I love spicy food and yes I made this really spicy Chili with Habanero peppers. It was a dream with the Bell Centre going crazy!!

It’s NEVER over til it’s OVER!

4. carmine007 says:

Ok here’s one insane and crazy dream I had last night.

Lets just say for the heck of it that Martin Brodeur is going to be a free agent next year. He still wants to play however, the Devils just dont want to sign the old man. Then comes Gainey who then signs Martin Brodeur to a one year contract so he can break Patrick Roys record right her in Montreal!!!

Like I said, I had this dream………

It’s NEVER over til it’s OVER!

5. Chorske says:

Plus: bold prediction. Brodeur is going to die a Devil. He’s like Sundin- he’s got too much invested in the one club to ever play for another.

Speaking of dying a devil, um, what’s with the creepy Saw VII style image that tops this thread? What is that? An iron cross nailed to Brodeurs forehead?

6. Chorske says:

OMG, no.

To break the record on a team that gives up a LOT of shots, he’d need to play a lot of games. Are we gonna sit Price so we can throw some flowers at Brodeur? No way, Jose.

Plus, the cap is coming down, and we have enough big cats to herd into resigning with us. Bad, bad dream.

You ate vindaloo before going to bed, didn’t you? Or spicy pizza? That’s what makes me have dreams like that.

7. roadrunner24@hotmail.com says:

here is why it wouldn’t …. Denis needs to clear re-entry waivers to come up and hell get snatch up right away leaving cedric as our #2….. Unless lou gives us parise in return they have nothing that we need … AKA Jay Bowmeester

8. The Teacher says:

Congratulations USA!

9. Number31 says:

We need Halak…

10. Tom S. says:

We’re Cup contenders now. Imagine we trade Halak and Price goes down with an injury for an extended period of time. Would you feel comfortable with Denis in net? I wouldn’t. And who goes in if Denis is stinking out the joint, the trainer? Desjardins and Lacasse aren’t ready.

11. twocents says:

Nice! this HIO thing could really work out on several levels.

The cheque is in the mail.

13. habs haven says:

here’s why trading Halak would work well for us. He could fetch us a 4th defenceman, and then we’re stanley cup contenders. And by the way Denis is playing in Hamilton, why not? No matter what, we absolutely need a 4th
    D man if we have any hopes of going a long way!

14. twocents says:

Sounds good… are you willing to finance the loan for me? I’ve got some stocks in a few U.S. banks I could put up as collateral.

15. DD says:

Thank you guys, I stand corrected. It sure is hard to get anything by on this site.

BTW I’ve got a couple of bridges I own here in Ottawa, and a couple of acres of prime real-estate in the Everglades. Would you guys be interested in buying them?

16. twocents says:

I thought the same thing Dave, but then I remembered that he came here through a trade and so does not qualify for the list.

17. J Haul says:

I almost posted something similar about Tanguay, but then I realized that the article was only talking about UFA signings, whereas Tanguay was aquired via trade.

Oh, and yeah, its great seeing so many of our players ranking near the tops of their positions. Likely hasn’t happened in a while.

18. DD says:

Does anyone else think that Keenan must have threatened Feaster, to keep Tanguay’s name off his list of UFA advancers?

It sure is nice to see Hab’s names figuring prominently on all the TSN positional rankings, eh! A long time coming. Thank you Mr. Gainey.

19. J Haul says:

Just a follow-up on the “Goaltender Rankings” link, where Price was ranked 5th. Here are how some of our other players fared at their respective positions:
    Centres: Saku Koivu ranked #11
    Wingers: Alex Tanguay ranked #17, Alex Kovalev ranked #19
    Defencemen: Andrei Markov ranked #2

Not too shabby and as I now see all 5 were selected for all star balloting as well.

20. 93miraclecup says:

I wouldn’t trade Halak for the time being. He seems to be proving himself to be a capable NHL goalie and if he continues to develop, he might be worth a heck of a lot more to some (Western conference) team that needs a goalie with a soft cap hit.
    That said, Denis is off to a very good start in Hamilton this season so he may be a viable back-up at some point.