Has Kovalchuk signed yet?

• More from Pat Hickey on Kovygate

Michael Farber’s analysis

• Eric Duhatschek suggests an easy fix

Now what? – Scott Burnside

• François Gagnon makes predictions from the beach (Canadiens to finish sixth)

• Here’s a surprise: Michel Bergeron doesn’t like an anglo coaching Hamilton. Robert L looks at the long history of this loopy thinking

• What’s a gritty forward worth? In Darroll Powe’s case, $725,000 and one-way. Patrick Kaleta: two years for $1.815 million. But Cody Bass’s deal is two-way

• Big raise for Nick Foligno

• Forbes lists the world’s 50 most valuable sports franchises. No hockey teams, but Uncle George’s Liverpool is in there.

Quote of the Day on Twitter: “I wish they would put agents on a reality TV show and put them on a lie detector test and watch them all roast and die.”

1. ed lopaz says:

Ok – we disagree. that’s fine. I’m cool with that!!

Your always respectful – which makes anything you have to say worth reading.

2. SLONCOLD says:

shouldn’t we hire the best coach around? just get a french assistant/pr coach guy.

This is what I posted at RDS. I wonder if it passes their xenophobic screening process. A shout out to all my fellow HIO posters whose French is better than mine. Correct any errors you see please. Thanks!!

===================================

Je ne peux pas croire ce débat est toujours en cours.

Heureusement, Michel Bergeron n’est pas DG du Canadien.

C’est Michel Bergeron qui est un pas en arrière . Pas 10 ans, bien plus, mais comme 30 ou 40 ans!

J’attends avec impatience le jour où les Canadiens à embaucher un entraîneur de l’équipe anglophone. Si seulement pour faire tortiller les xénophobes.

Le Canadiens ont assez de difficulté obliger les joueurs et le personnel à travailler ici en raison de ce type d’idéotie dans la presse.

C’est le Canadien de Montréal et non pas les Remparts de Québec.

J’espère vraiment que la ville de Québec reçoit une autre équipe de la LNH afin que tous ceux qui soutiennent ce genre de pensée peut avoir une équipe pour se plaindre et de laisser les Canadiens aux personnes ayant un point vue de plus intelligent et plus développées que M. Bergeron et cuex qui support ces ideas claustrophobe.

Il ya assez de personnes dans l’organisation qui sont les Québécois et ce critère est la priorité de trop à mon avis.

====================

4. Mark C says:

Using Hamilton has a grooming stop for potential head coaches in Montreal is simply a secondary issue.  While, it would be nice to have the coach in Hamilton be a potential replacement in a few years that is not the main objective of the position.  Developing and growing young talent into NHL-ready players is main onus for Hamilton’s head coach.  Cunneyworth has an outstanding track record of doing this. Over the next 3-4 years there is going to be a ton of talent coming to Hamilton, and ultimately Montreal’s success over the next 10 years plus will greatly depend on how these young players are developed. I could care less that Cunneyworth isn’t going to be groomed down there.

5. BJ says:

Why are cultural differences a problem rather than an asset? Back in the 60′s when I hitchhiked around Europe and North Africa it was an education, now its a threat. Welcome to a “brave new world” with “1984″ flavour!

6. forskis says:

I am willing to concede the point that Bergeron was referring to “new thinking”…however, how is hiring Ladouceur and Cunneyworth stepping backwards?  Is it not at all possible that they have learned something over the past 10 years when it comes to coaching ideas?

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

7. SeriousFan09 says:

Therrien is having trouble finding work, Vigneault’s still pushing that idiotic Luongo captaincy and Julien just oversaw the worst playoff collapse in over 3 decades, I am not feeling a pang of loss at any of those guys.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

8. K-hab25 says:

Hey Carbo got a raw deal. People say he lost the team, but when an experienced coach (Gainey) took over, the team actually got much worse. He went from coach of the year finalist, to getting fired in the middle of the next season. He easily coached the best team we’ve had since 93′. If not for Price falling apart, that team could’ve had a serious shot.

9. TorontoHabsFan says:

Not to wade too too deeply into this whole Montreal coaching debate – but I’m not so certain that the head coach HAS to be a French Canadian. When you look at the recent ex-coaches (Vigneault, Therrien, Julien, Gainey, Carbonneau) a couple common elements pop out. 1) Yes, they’re all bilingual but also 2) They had little experience coaching at the NHL (save Gainey) and 3) They came CHEAP (Gainey was already the GM so I’m sure his coaching salary was negligible if it existed at all).

We tend to forget now, but prior to the lockout and Uncle George – Montreal was very much a have-not NHL team, we were salary dumpers, remember? Hiring a coach with NHL experience was exponentially more expensive. Finding coaches from the Q, like Vigneault, or from our AHL affiliate, like Julien, or promoting from assistant, like Carbonneau, was a cost effective way of finding a coach. That they all spoke French and kept the nationalists at bay? Gravy.

As for Cunneyworth – I’m sure he’ll be a fine coach for the Bulldogs.

10. Bill J says:

Here is a more pertinent question for you perhaps.

When was the last time the Habs promoted a Head Coach from the AHL.

Not in a while…

So why bother grooming French Head Coaches in the AHL, if they are going to be poached ?

11. ed lopaz says:

when I was akid growing up in Montreal, the downtown was entirely English until Boul. St Laurent.

you could walk into any restaurant, bar, or store, and expect to be served in English.

I have no problem “protecting the French” INSIDE of Canada.

I think that’s a great compromise.

12. Exit716 says:

The Habs have hired and trained a lot of new generation Quebec coaches. Alain Vigneault, Michel Therrien and Guy Boucher. That’s three in the last 12 years. Add Julien to the mix too, even though he’s Franco Ontarien.

Name another organization that has had that many former coaches find work in the NHL in that time span?

13. ed lopaz says:

I agree – I liked Julien; He was pushed aside to make room for Carbo, I believe, and then….well, I don’t want to say what happened after that – its embarassing.

14. Bill J says:

ed this is going to be one of those times we disagree again ;)

And I speak from a place of entitlement to judge Bergie.

Bergie IS a bigot.  The job in Hamilton is 100% English, there is ZERO french involvement.

Should the Habs not get the BEST person for the job (among the qualified candidates)  ???

Last time the Habs did what Bergie implied we should always do, we groomed the guy to be poached by another team.

In hindsight, perhaps the Habs should have hired Cunney LAST year…  Maybe by now Cunney would be Head Coach of Tampa Bay, and Boucher newly hired for Hamilton.

;)

15. smiler2729 says:

When I was a kid in Montreal, I was at Ecole St-Clement in TMR and all I was aware of was Ken Dryden, Steve Rogers, LaRonde and walking to Perrette’s to get chocolate bars for a dime.

16. Bill J says:

Didn’t hire French speaking ONLY people (IE not bilingual people)

What some people in QC seem to forget, is in business ENGLISH is the language of choice.

This goes far beyond any political agenda’s for independence.

If a Company in QC only speaks French, they cut off the rest of Canada & the entire United States when it comes to trade.

A SMART QC company will have bilingual employee’s.

This does not necessarily apply to the Head Coach Job or Team Captain’s job in Hockey.  As there ARE qualified french speakers within the organization.

17. Doctor Device says:

Glad I wasn’t the only one who noticed that.  Bergeron uses two francophone examples of young coaches passed over in favour of a retread like Cunneyworth, but I don’t think he made language an issue at all.  It’s a pretty unfair way of characterizing an article that is really saying that the Canadiens should be using Hamilton to provide an opportunity for young coaching prospects as well as player prospects, which is a decent point.

I believe in Carey Price:

18. Bill J says:

Speaking as a French Canadian born in Montreal person who is bilingual, and is Canadian FIRST.

Fairness is not due to Bergie.  What he did was unfair to Cunneyworth & any English only speaking fan of the team.

Bergie has an agenda, and it is to stir the linguistic poop (just like the rest of the RDS cronies)

Last time the Habs brought up a up-&-coming QMJHL coach, another GM poached him.

Why would the Habs do that again ?

Do we not want the Management to learn from their mistakes ?

Food for thought.

19. PeterStone says:

i wont dispute that.  Bottom line is, if his name was lets say, Cunneyworth instead of julien, he never would have gotten the job .. so why hire Cunneyworth ? Unless he is so amazing at developing talent, and you can pay him some good coin to stay in hamilton for more than 2 seasons and develop talent for the habs … that is until they move to Laval.

20. HabFanSince72 says:

When you were a kid in Montreal were you aware that all those companies with head offices didn’t hire Francophones beyond  certain level?

21. Clay4bc says:

Julien was a good coach, though – he kind of got the shaft from this organization…he actuially may have been the best available at the time. The others…likely were not.

_________________________

“This has to be the mother of all brain-dead decisions.” Red Fisher regarding the Halak trade.

22. Bill J says:

Hope so Mike…

I think if Cunneyworth can continue developing the youth as Boucher had, ultimately that is all we can ask of him.

In hindsight, the Habs should have hired Cunney LAST year.  And then Boucher THIS year.

Yzerman would have cherry-picked Cunneyworth instead ? Maybe ? lol

23. Clay4bc says:

What an interesting analogy…I can see that you didn’t put much thought into that one.

__________________________

24. Mattyleg says:

Yeah, I totally disagree with the leader for that article, Booner. There is nothing in that article that says that Bergeron doesn’t like Cunneyworth because he’s an anglo!

He says it’s about mentality, old coaching style vs new.

Bergie does say that he would like to see coaches from Quebec get the opportunity to coach in Hamilton, but he never says that it’s a language thing. Any Canadian team would want their farm team to be represented by up-and-coming coaches from their province/area, especially since that’s where a lot of the young talent will come from.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

25. Mike Boone says:

I heard Cunneyworth on Melnick’s show yesterday. He’s very intelligent and well-spoken. Mitch asked him about working with 20-year-old players and Cunneyworth stressed the importance of respect for the kids, which he said was sometimes lacking among the tyrannical coaches of yesteryear. I think he’s going to do an great job.

26. K-hab25 says:

How in the h*ll is that the same thing? They hire french speakers, because the majority of Quebec speaks french, or atleast thats what you and bugs argue. In the US white people are like 47% of the population, blacks are 12% of the population. So basically you and bugs believe since you’re the majority, a french speaking person should get the job. So then I guess since whites are the majority in the US, we should have a white president then, right? Thats bugs and your bigoted point of view, right? All that should matter is if the person in charge, (coach, gm, president) speaks or looks like the majority of the constituents, right? Wow, for you to compare, the majority, french speakers, to a minority, blacks and say you’re the same is a joke. Actually how coaches and gms are hired in Montreal, is how presidents use to get elected in the US, on peoples bigotry!!

27. smiler2729 says:

You’re right, I’m half French Canadian (and damn proud of it!) born in MTL, raised in TMR, had my first apartment in NDG, skiied in Sauveur, summered in Kennebunk, did the Crescent/Bishop/Mackay bar scene in the ’80s… the whole Montreal experience AND I HAD TO MOVE cuz of the language thing. Yeah, the dreaded Toronto, no jobs in Montreal cuz the separatist bullsh!t scared all the head offices and the economy to T.O.

I still miss Montreal but I don’t regret leaving (most of my friends and family have left too) but I’m still angry at the politics of the French faction. They’re as Canadian as the rest of us and I wish they’d embrace that but until then we have situations like you expressed above. Sad.

28. PeterStone says:

its obvious isnt it ..

Vigneault > Therrien > Julien > Carbonneau > Martin and Cunneyworth .. hell, if you are going to toss in an english name … Babcock , I think he knows Montreal pretty well, dont you agree ?

maybe its just obvious to us.

29. Hoegarden says:

If one pays attention to what Bergeron actually said, it is
    an issue of “old thinking” replacing “new thinking” when it comes down to teaching
    the game of hockey in 2010, not French vs English.  He refers to the organization taking a huge step backwards
    and cites as an example the hiring and tenure of Don Lever. Let’s be real here,
    the farm did not bring much to the table in the last 10 years or so. Yes I know
    the poor drafting did not help either.

Bergeron would have liked to have another young promising
    coach in the Q (Pascal Vincent) to at least have an interview with the brass.  That is all he is saying.

We had a team of “young promising coaches and
    administrators” and now we are back in the mid 90s or thereabouts with the two
    Randy’s and Larry.

I never cared much for Bergeron but I have to agree with his reasoning on this one.

30. Howie55 says:

Well Said. Completely agree and I hate when this topics gets brought up again and again, quite often from Michel Bergeron.

Pour moi, Saku c’est un champion qui n’a pas encore gagné. Il joue comme un champion, il s’entraîne comme un champion, il mange comme un champion. Un jour, il le deviendra

31. PeterStone says:

if there is a team philosophy, then I personally think you can groom a coach.  I find it hard to beleive there isnt one other good coach , Bilingual, in the entire province/country.

I dont know who it is … but Boucher had no trouble finding 2 French Canadian Assistant coaches …

I personally wish they would hire a babcock for instance, but we both know that isnt happening … so, at least prepare the succession plan.  Oh, I should also toss in I believe our next coach is beng groomed in Tampa starting this upcoming season, so, get the ball rolling for the guy after Boucher.

32. aemarchand11 says:

They complain about a lack of French Players, even though we make it to the ECF.. They complain about an english speaking coach, even though some of our best were english in Bowman, Pollock and Irving. We Require a french General Manager, even though English is the primary language of the NHL and Canada and all reporters can translate. The Media will only be happy if we had Lecavalier, Gagne, St.Louis, Bouillion, Perron(Could of, I know), Luongo. But I am sure they’d still find a way to complain about the structure…

The focus should be on the best candidates for all levels, players, coaches and management. Not the language that they speak. If this franchise is focused to winning, then you pick the best not the best french candidates.

We lost Boucher, plain and simple and I wish him the best in Tampa Bay. He will be back, no doubt at all that he will come back as an experienced head coach. But it was AHL or NHL and he did what he had to do. So we hired the best candidates for the AHL level, who cared if they are english.

Such a frustrating topic, which can get emotional. But I am french, not from Quebec, and all I care about is winning.

Go Habs Go! 2010-2011

33. Bugs says:

You’ll understand nuance when you get older, kid.

For now, stick to calling me Hitler, aw’ight?

Thanks.

34. ed lopaz says:

Peter, I agree with your post.

Bergeron is just stating the obvious – the coach in Hamilton should be bilingual, and capable of coaching

the Habs 1 day, which requires bilingualism.

Bergeron is NOT a bigot.

He represents HIS constituency, which is the hundreds of thousands of french speaking Habs fans.

This is an English web site, however, so you better duck!! Incoming!!

35. PeterStone says:

we are talking NHL of course … if the Habs were known for hiring the best coach, it would be irrelevant, but we all know they hire the best they can find French coach …

And the greatest coach this team has had was from where .. Verdun ? I think Scotty spoke both official languages … i would call that Bilingual.

36. Robert L says:

I agree, I think the continuity is essential. I’d like to able to point to Pascal Vincent as being such a candidate, but that’s not for me to say. Another Boucher would’ve been sweet, but perhaps for now there isn’t one.

37. PeterStone says:

great little write up on the Media BTW …

Sorry, they may not come out and tell us they will only hire a French Candian coach, but it is their mandate.  So, that being said, why not go out and try to find another Guy Boucher … Bob Gainey is an honorary French Canadian .. : )

I would like to see some continuity from the minors to the majors … I want to see some Montreal Canadiens Hockey … but, at this point, no one really knows what that is … I wonder if Randy Cunneyworth knows.

38. TommyB says:

I said “should be”. I don’t do the hiring.

39. Mattyleg says:

It makes me laugh to see the Kansas City Ravens are richer than Ferrari.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

40. Bill J says:

In the AHL (where Cunneyworth will be)

about 2-3 years ago.

Don Lever.

in Montreal, yeah its been a while – but some could easily argue, the greatest coach’s this team has had where anglophone.

So moral of the story is ?

WHO CARES – choose the best for the job.

41. Robert L says:

LOL, probably Newsy Lalonde…or Bob Gainey, but it’s not always their mandate to groom one through the system. They are however, boxed into hiring one at the NHL level. I’m splitting hairs with the distinction, i know.

42. HabFanSince72 says:

In fairness to Bergie, who has never been much of a Quebec nationalist, his main argument is that the Canadiens should be grooming a future NHL coach. He says “we should be training the next generation of coaches, especially those from Quebec”.

Some of the complaints regarding French speakers in the Hab organization remind me of white people in the US complaining that Obama would not have won the election if he hadn’t been black. The previous 43 Presidents wouldn’t have won if they had been.

43. PeterStone says:

so .. Guy Carbonneau and Therrien and Julien were the “Best Guys Available” right …

44. PeterStone says:

then someone please tell me the last time we had a non francophone coach …

45. TommyB says:

Every coach you hire for your farm club is not always being considered as a future coach of your NHL club.  Your future NHL coach should be the best guy available at the time, and that is not always the case with the your coach on the farm.  The farm club coach should be there to evaluate and develop the young talent.  If he fits the bill for your next vacancy with the big club, all the better.  But minor-league coaches are not always hired with the thought of bringing them up to the NHL team at some point.

46. Robert L says:

But it’s not the mandate for the team, and it never has been. The Canadiens have a responsability to their organization to find the best and most qualified AHL coach possible. Last season, that man happened to be Guy Boucher.

I agree that it does seem like a temporary stop gap to hire Cunneyworth, but if the Habs were to require the services of a francophone coach at the NHL level in four to six months, there are plenty of qualified but unemployed former french coaches waiting in the wings.

47. PeterStone says:

i see many people here coming down on Bergeron, but, i have to agree with him.  If the mandate for this team is to make sure it has a French Canadian coach at the NHL Level ( and whether I or you agree with it or not is irrelevant, as it sure SEEMS to be the mandate ) then it would seem to me that you would hire a French Canadian coach for your minor league team and start grooming him ( or her ) as a potential replacement.

Why would you hire Cunneyworth to coach if there is no intention for him to ever oach the big club.  From his perspective, you know he wants to coach in the NHL, so, he would jump at any offer to leave .. it just seems like a very temporary solution.

To call Bergeron a bigot or a nordique is to have your head in the sand.  Last time I checked his paycheck comes from covering the Habs.

48. K-hab25 says:

No, Thank You!!

49. K-hab25 says:

What part of regardless of language, don’t you get? If he had said hire the best person regardless of age, would you respond “so young is best”? He didn’t say anything other than hire the best person, Period!!!

50. Bugs says:

And the best is always English, right?

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Brotha to the Man with the Plan, Product-runnin Lead Houndogg with the Voodoo Flannel Posse, and Pimp Extraordinaire of Habsbros Mama Jones Snow Cones, muthafugga: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

51. K-hab25 says:

So Boone and I are psycho’s? Well I guess it’s good company to be in. Thanks!!

52. Bugs says:

You’re done, Kabbie.

Thanks.

53. Bill J says:

That’s my point (although now that is not front page posting you likely will not see this reply)

It has been a while since a AHL HC has been promoted to MTL.

So why the fuss over a English speaking AHL HC ?

Specially when the last one WON a Calder Cup championship.

And was replaced by a French speaking HC who at the first chance bolted/was poached by another team.

No doubt in my mind Boucher was being groomed for the MTL job, but like so many other “local talents” (players included) they bolt for other teams.

Why should the Habs continue to support a culture that is not supported by anyone else ? (Players, Coaches)

Perhaps a bit extreme in my thinking, but it is a valid question.

54. K-hab25 says:

I’ve been reading Boone for to long, he’s famous for the “extreme” Hitler comparison, remember the playoffs.

55. mbplekfan says:

The habs are not a social program, they are a business. Too many around here forget that.

The best person should be hired regardless of language.

56. ed lopaz says:

crap! you figured it out!

57. JD_ says:

Replied in the other thread.

58. K-hab25 says:

Thank You!!!

59. Bill J says:

Yes for the Q – a Head Coach should & must be french.

However how does this equate to Montreal ALSO requiring a French Candidate for the job ?

& for that matter, it certainly is not like the Habs have gone out of their way to ignore the French HC’s

Like I’ve said a few times now, only happened twice in recent memory.  First one won a Calder Cup, and 2nd one is Cunney.

So all in all, Bergie’s article is somewhat pointless.  As the Habs have clearly done more for French HC candidates then ANY other team in the NHL.  Saying the Habs are ignoring local talent is BUNK.

That is my ultimate point I’ve been trying to make.

60. K-hab25 says:

Ummm, you were the one that said, “people are dying for assimilation”, or people are dying for a multi cultural/diverse organization, but you say you prefer to stay “unique”, or french canadien. How do you not see the correlation between your beliefs and that of nazis. Who were also threatened by thought of outsiders taking over there beloved father land, the way you’re threatened at the thought of outsiders taking over your beloved Habs. Like I said the nazis believed they were “unique” and didn’t want to assimilate like the rest of Europe, kinda like you, who want to keep your “unique” french canadiens running the show and not assimilate like the rest of the NHL.

61. SeriousFan09 says:

They will get down on their knees and worship him if the Canadiens do well this season, you can’t do your job as a Montreal GM without ticking someone off so if all he’s doing is making some cranks upset about Cunneyworth’s language skills, good for him. This is axe-grinding because they need to fill column inches. If the Habs don’t do well, they’ll crack out the well-worn French media playbook and it will read like any other year…

- European players are mobsters

- Team isn’t Francophone enough

- Fire the Coach

- Fire the GM

- Fire the Coach and GM

- Captain doesn’t speak very good French so he’s the scum of the Earth

- David Fischer over Claude Giroux and AK over Ryan Getzlaf

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

62. ed lopaz says:

seems very logical, Eric. :-)

now, riddle me this.

If Lou was front and center in the creation of this new CBA, and he certainly had the Hossa deal in mind, then

why would Lou push the enveloppe the way that he did??

Could it be that he wanted to push Bettman off of his high horse?

63. Mattyleg says:

I hear ya.

Why is it that it’s the psychos that call you Hitler, and the Don Cherry-lovers that call you xenophobic?

“It’s people like you who make generalizations.”

—Hope Springs Eternal—

64. JD_ says:

***Double postin’ cause I just never know which thread is alive when the leadin’ blog topic is a wee bit jejune.

Great minds think alike. Fools seldom differ.

Based on the following two items…

—–

Lou L. will drop the contract length to 15 years, raise the terminal salary to $1M per, nudge up the cap hit by some $1M per, and tickety-boo, all will be well.

You heard it here first.

In other news, if you’re over the age of 42, you may as well give up those NHL aspirations. You no longer matter.

—–

Excerpt from Eric Duhatschek’s article:

On a practical level, the fix here is relatively simple for the Devils and Kovalchuk, provided both sides were prepared to give a little. They could simply lop off the final two years of the contract, meaning it would expire when Kovalchuk turns 42, the same age Hossa will be when his deal runs out. If they up the salary in the final three years to $1-million, then that too would make it mirror Hossa’s previously approved deal far more closely.

Under this scenario, the Devils’ annual salary-cap charge for Kovalchuk’s contract would rise by almost three-quarters of a million dollars – not an ideal outcome, but one that they might be able to live with.

—–

…I am forced to consider one of the three following possibilities:

1. Eric Duhatschek and I share an affinity for the shortest distance between two points.

2. Eric Duhatschek is inside my head.

3. I am Eric Duhatschek.

Given I don’t subscribe to the notion of the paranormal nor look anything like the guy in his picture, I am compelled to go with the unspoken conclusion: The bastard’s stealin’ my material.

65. Bill J says:

Hey the Hitler reference was a bit extreme. I will also give you that much.

If Bergeron had NOT said “local talent”

And he had perhaps questioned Cunneyworth & his merits…

I can certainly appreciate his POV and opinion.

But the instant he said “local talent” he brought up what he HAS been quoted as saying in the past

“More French in Montreal is required”

I still think the RDS editor in chief “edited” the Bergeron article, it stinks of French bigotry to me.

Heck, if Bergie is entitled to his opinion on the matter.  I am too on HIS opinion :) lol

66. ed lopaz says:

come on! julien did great in montreal and new jersey and never should have lost either job.

67. ed lopaz says:

not sure if you read French SF’09, but here’s the article to read.

there is a movement in the French media against Gauthier.

this is why the hiring in Hamilton is important, and the “sentiment” behind Bergeron’s article.

Gauthier is not a friend of the French media, and that spells big trouble for him.

68. Mattyleg says:

Bill, I understand that.

I’m just tired of things taking a language angle every 5 minutes in this effing province.

Any coach who wants to make it in the Q needs to speak French, regardless of his background. If you promote local talent, you have to take the language that goes with it.

As for precedence, I dunno, but it’s not in this article.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

69. Bill J says:

LOL you speak as though Cunneyworth is going to be the next Head Coach of the MTL team ?

On that note, when is the last time they promoted a HC from AHL to the NHL ?

Been a while

AHL HC’s job for MTL is NOT a step to the MTL team.

70. K-hab25 says:

As I said I agree that showcasing french canadien talent was a main reason, but it was because the owner could profit from all the french canadiens in the area, not being represented on the other teams. It’s genius really, surrounded by all those french canadien people, what better way, than to give them a french canadien team to cheer for. It could spark rivalries between them and the english speaking teams. It also would give them a huge fanbase, who whether they liked hockey or not, would rally behind there fellow french canadiens. As I said, a great business move.

71. Bugs says:

We can never accuse someone of hatin this way without clear and distinct evidence showing it. Ok?

We can’t do that.

Kids do that. I got one callin me Hitler below for subscribing to the heritage of my hockey club, ferpetessakes.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

72. Bill J says:

LOCAL COACHING TALENT = Francophone.

If you honestly are debating this, I don’t know how else to explain it to you.

That + Bergie’s past thoughts or opinions, have set precedence to believe this is exactly what he meant to say.

73. Bill J says:

I’ll give you this much Bugs

YES you are correct, the writing was well put to avoid any implication “he hates the English”

but it certainly stinks of it though… ;)

Due to the clear “love & adulation” he is giving the “local” talent (which btw is French)

I think the fact it does not say he hates the English, is because the RDS editor in chief likely said “Whoa les moteurs, Mr. Bergeron.  Il faut qu’on modifie ca un peut” (sorry for lack of accents)

74. Bugs says:

Hitler, now? Yes, Kabbie, EXACTLY like Hitler.

Well done.

75. Bugs says:

Good golly. Cunneyworth???

Is this it, Billy? It’s the end of our dream???

Keepin it real, I be chillin as