Has Kovalchuk signed yet?

• More from Pat Hickey on Kovygate

Michael Farber’s analysis

• Eric Duhatschek suggests an easy fix

Now what? – Scott Burnside

• François Gagnon makes predictions from the beach (Canadiens to finish sixth)

• Here’s a surprise: Michel Bergeron doesn’t like an anglo coaching Hamilton. Robert L looks at the long history of this loopy thinking

• What’s a gritty forward worth? In Darroll Powe’s case, $725,000 and one-way. Patrick Kaleta: two years for $1.815 million. But Cody Bass’s deal is two-way

• Big raise for Nick Foligno

• Forbes lists the world’s 50 most valuable sports franchises. No hockey teams, but Uncle George’s Liverpool is in there.

Quote of the Day on Twitter: “I wish they would put agents on a reality TV show and put them on a lie detector test and watch them all roast and die.”

1. derfab says:

Bergeron is a wonderful little sniveler. Nothing should be French. It is or it isn`t.  Dats it dats all.

character is derfab destiny.

2. K-hab25 says:

I’m 33 and a single father, raising a 12 year old girl and a 9 nine year old boy, I’m not a “kid.” Nor will aging change my mind on this subject, but unfortunately it has made you unable to change with the times. No more Hitler for you, you’re starting to like it a little to much.

3. ooder says:

and Guy Boucher was?!?!?!

——————

88 is the new 23

4. ooder says:

I said yesterday that last year that the habs hired a french canadian coach for the AHL.

at the first oppurtunity he left for a better job. I don’t blame him nor am i pissed at him, it’s the logical thing to do.

but Bergeron insists that the habs have some sort of alliance and love fest and utmost respect for french canadian coaches, when clearly it is not returned.

Its not like boucher said: No i will stay in this organization because I am french canadian.

so why should the Habs brass be so nice and generous to the french??? treat everybody as equals and tell guys like Bergeron to either stop living in the 50’s or GTFO!

——————

88 is the new 23

5. Bill says:

I seriously doubt anyone believes that. Come on, Bugs!

Full Breezer 4 Life

6. Bill says:

I have no idea if you are a xenophobe or not. I’ve heard enough from Bergeron to feel comfortable using the word for him: I obviously could have used a stronger term if I felt it were warranted.

No, you are probably just a guy (assuming) who likes the idea of the big team fostering local talent: the word for that is something more like ‘sentimental’. But the Habs are supposed to be running a sports franchise whose main goal is to hire and promote the best, off the ice and on, so that it can win. Sentiment isn’t supposed to be part of the equation.

Cunneyworth has an AHL championship as coach, so I’m comfortable that he’s at least competent.

Full Breezer 4 Life

7. Bugs says:

You’ll understand nuance when you get older, kid.

For now, stick to calling me Hitler, aw’ight?

Thanks.

8. K-hab25 says:

No, Thank You!!

9. K-hab25 says:

What part of regardless of language, don’t you get? If he had said hire the best person regardless of age, would you respond “so young is best”? He didn’t say anything other than hire the best person, Period!!!

10. Bugs says:

And the best is always English, right?

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Brotha to the Man with the Plan, Product-runnin Lead Houndogg with the Voodoo Flannel Posse, and Pimp Extraordinaire of Habsbros Mama Jones Snow Cones, muthafugga: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

11. K-hab25 says:

So Boone and I are psycho’s? Well I guess it’s good company to be in. Thanks!!

12. Bugs says:

You’re done, Kabbie.

Thanks.

13. Bill J says:

That’s my point (although now that is not front page posting you likely will not see this reply)

It has been a while since a AHL HC has been promoted to MTL.

So why the fuss over a English speaking AHL HC ?

Specially when the last one WON a Calder Cup championship.

And was replaced by a French speaking HC who at the first chance bolted/was poached by another team.

No doubt in my mind Boucher was being groomed for the MTL job, but like so many other “local talents” (players included) they bolt for other teams.

Why should the Habs continue to support a culture that is not supported by anyone else ? (Players, Coaches)

Perhaps a bit extreme in my thinking, but it is a valid question.

14. K-hab25 says:

I’ve been reading Boone for to long, he’s famous for the “extreme” Hitler comparison, remember the playoffs.

15. mbplekfan says:

The habs are not a social program, they are a business. Too many around here forget that.

The best person should be hired regardless of language.

16. ed lopaz says:

crap! you figured it out!

17. JD_ says:

Replied in the other thread.

18. K-hab25 says:

Thank You!!!

19. Bill J says:

Yes for the Q – a Head Coach should & must be french.

However how does this equate to Montreal ALSO requiring a French Candidate for the job ?

& for that matter, it certainly is not like the Habs have gone out of their way to ignore the French HC’s

Like I’ve said a few times now, only happened twice in recent memory.  First one won a Calder Cup, and 2nd one is Cunney.

So all in all, Bergie’s article is somewhat pointless.  As the Habs have clearly done more for French HC candidates then ANY other team in the NHL.  Saying the Habs are ignoring local talent is BUNK.

That is my ultimate point I’ve been trying to make.

20. K-hab25 says:

Ummm, you were the one that said, “people are dying for assimilation”, or people are dying for a multi cultural/diverse organization, but you say you prefer to stay “unique”, or french canadien. How do you not see the correlation between your beliefs and that of nazis. Who were also threatened by thought of outsiders taking over there beloved father land, the way you’re threatened at the thought of outsiders taking over your beloved Habs. Like I said the nazis believed they were “unique” and didn’t want to assimilate like the rest of Europe, kinda like you, who want to keep your “unique” french canadiens running the show and not assimilate like the rest of the NHL.

21. SeriousFan09 says:

They will get down on their knees and worship him if the Canadiens do well this season, you can’t do your job as a Montreal GM without ticking someone off so if all he’s doing is making some cranks upset about Cunneyworth’s language skills, good for him. This is axe-grinding because they need to fill column inches. If the Habs don’t do well, they’ll crack out the well-worn French media playbook and it will read like any other year…

– European players are mobsters

– Team isn’t Francophone enough

– Fire the Coach

– Fire the GM

– Fire the Coach and GM

– Captain doesn’t speak very good French so he’s the scum of the Earth

– David Fischer over Claude Giroux and AK over Ryan Getzlaf

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

22. ed lopaz says:

seems very logical, Eric. :-)

now, riddle me this.

If Lou was front and center in the creation of this new CBA, and he certainly had the Hossa deal in mind, then

why would Lou push the enveloppe the way that he did??

Could it be that he wanted to push Bettman off of his high horse?

23. Mattyleg says:

I hear ya.

Why is it that it’s the psychos that call you Hitler, and the Don Cherry-lovers that call you xenophobic?

“It’s people like you who make generalizations.”

—Hope Springs Eternal—

24. JD_ says:

***Double postin’ cause I just never know which thread is alive when the leadin’ blog topic is a wee bit jejune.

Great minds think alike. Fools seldom differ.

Based on the following two items…

—–

Lou L. will drop the contract length to 15 years, raise the terminal salary to $1M per, nudge up the cap hit by some $1M per, and tickety-boo, all will be well.

You heard it here first.

In other news, if you’re over the age of 42, you may as well give up those NHL aspirations. You no longer matter.

—–

Excerpt from Eric Duhatschek’s article:

On a practical level, the fix here is relatively simple for the Devils and Kovalchuk, provided both sides were prepared to give a little. They could simply lop off the final two years of the contract, meaning it would expire when Kovalchuk turns 42, the same age Hossa will be when his deal runs out. If they up the salary in the final three years to $1-million, then that too would make it mirror Hossa’s previously approved deal far more closely.

Under this scenario, the Devils’ annual salary-cap charge for Kovalchuk’s contract would rise by almost three-quarters of a million dollars – not an ideal outcome, but one that they might be able to live with.

—–

…I am forced to consider one of the three following possibilities:

1. Eric Duhatschek and I share an affinity for the shortest distance between two points.

2. Eric Duhatschek is inside my head.

3. I am Eric Duhatschek.

Given I don’t subscribe to the notion of the paranormal nor look anything like the guy in his picture, I am compelled to go with the unspoken conclusion: The bastard’s stealin’ my material.

25. Bill J says:

Hey the Hitler reference was a bit extreme. I will also give you that much.

If Bergeron had NOT said “local talent”

And he had perhaps questioned Cunneyworth & his merits…

I can certainly appreciate his POV and opinion.

But the instant he said “local talent” he brought up what he HAS been quoted as saying in the past

“More French in Montreal is required”

I still think the RDS editor in chief “edited” the Bergeron article, it stinks of French bigotry to me.

Heck, if Bergie is entitled to his opinion on the matter.  I am too on HIS opinion :) lol

26. ed lopaz says:

come on! julien did great in montreal and new jersey and never should have lost either job.

27. ed lopaz says:

not sure if you read French SF’09, but here’s the article to read.

there is a movement in the French media against Gauthier.

this is why the hiring in Hamilton is important, and the “sentiment” behind Bergeron’s article.

Gauthier is not a friend of the French media, and that spells big trouble for him.

28. Mattyleg says:

Bill, I understand that.

I’m just tired of things taking a language angle every 5 minutes in this effing province.

Any coach who wants to make it in the Q needs to speak French, regardless of his background. If you promote local talent, you have to take the language that goes with it.

As for precedence, I dunno, but it’s not in this article.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

29. Bill J says:

LOL you speak as though Cunneyworth is going to be the next Head Coach of the MTL team ?

On that note, when is the last time they promoted a HC from AHL to the NHL ?

Been a while

AHL HC’s job for MTL is NOT a step to the MTL team.

30. K-hab25 says:

As I said I agree that showcasing french canadien talent was a main reason, but it was because the owner could profit from all the french canadiens in the area, not being represented on the other teams. It’s genius really, surrounded by all those french canadien people, what better way, than to give them a french canadien team to cheer for. It could spark rivalries between them and the english speaking teams. It also would give them a huge fanbase, who whether they liked hockey or not, would rally behind there fellow french canadiens. As I said, a great business move.

31. Bugs says:

We can never accuse someone of hatin this way without clear and distinct evidence showing it. Ok?

We can’t do that.

Kids do that. I got one callin me Hitler below for subscribing to the heritage of my hockey club, ferpetessakes.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

32. Bill J says:

LOCAL COACHING TALENT = Francophone.

If you honestly are debating this, I don’t know how else to explain it to you.

That + Bergie’s past thoughts or opinions, have set precedence to believe this is exactly what he meant to say.

33. Bill J says:

I’ll give you this much Bugs

YES you are correct, the writing was well put to avoid any implication “he hates the English”

but it certainly stinks of it though… 😉

Due to the clear “love & adulation” he is giving the “local” talent (which btw is French)

I think the fact it does not say he hates the English, is because the RDS editor in chief likely said “Whoa les moteurs, Mr. Bergeron.  Il faut qu’on modifie ca un peut” (sorry for lack of accents)

34. Bugs says:

Hitler, now? Yes, Kabbie, EXACTLY like Hitler.

Well done.

35. Bugs says:

Good golly. Cunneyworth???

Is this it, Billy? It’s the end of our dream???

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

36. SeriousFan09 says:

Best man for the job should be the only criteria for a coaching position. If Cunneyworth is better at player development than any Q league coach available, than why does the Q guy have to get the job? He’s coaching the Bulldogs not the Canadiens and while yes your AHL coach should be able to take over the bench, if the Q league guy is an inferior coach and weaker at player development, he shouldn’t get the job either because he would be an inferior coach if he had to suddenly take over the top position in the organization.

If I was in charge of the Canadiens, I would appoint a press officer to handle the majority of press statements by the team and let my coach/GM do their job which is not appease the populace with a great command of both official languages in interviews but by their ability to coach and build contender teams.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

37. Bill J says:

WTF kinda hair splitting are you trying to apply here ?

Local talent IS French Talent.

No ?  Go on – tell me how many Local “talented” Head Coaching candidates there are that DO NOT speak French ?

Bergie’s post has EVERYTHING to do with Language, and I will assume you have listened to him prior to reading this post of his.   Bergie is ALL about the QC talent getting it’s shot.

Why isn’t Bergie complaining about the NHL not hiring more QC talent ?

& why are you not more bothered that Bergie would prefer we have a less qualified candidate “preparing” our youth for the Big Leagues?

Geez Indeed 😉

38. Bugs says:

(ok, we’ll stay in english)

Yes, you’re right in what you say now, Billy.

But getting back to the point we were discussin: Bergie’s NOT complaining about Cunneyworth’s lack of competence.

He just wants the Habs to KEEP producing French coaches for the NHL. All the time, every time.

That’s where, imo, he might be askin a bit much.

He doesn’t hate the English, the Chinese, or the Slovaks though when he says hiring any of them is “a step back”.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

39. Mattyleg says:

GAH!!

The word “francophone” or “français” never appears in the article!!! Why is this about language???

—Hope Springs Eternal—

40. Bill J says:

Wrong again bunny rabbit.

YOU choose to not want to evolve past this “French” thing

Clearly the Habs are moving on 😉

Isn’t that the REALITY of the situation ?

Thanks indeed

41. Mattyleg says:

Winning is great. But you’re going on about language again. It’s not about language. It’s about local talent vs imported. And I agree with Bergie that you should promote local coaches, but if something is available from elsewhere, go with that for a bit.

It’s not about language.

Geez.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

42. Bugs says:

He’s an emotional man about his hockey. Always was. You know this.

Now, he’s an emotional OLD man. Cut him some RDS slack, would you? 😉

Besides, if you’ll turn your attention to the last part, you will confirm that I SAID he might be goin too far.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

43. Mattyleg says:

Bergie wants the Habs to support young Quebec coaches, Bill, not simply Francophone coaches. I agree with him on that.

I guess that makes me a xenophobe too.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

44. G-Man says:

Bergeron, if he had been unilingual French, would not have been able to work outside Quebec. He did learn English and thus was able to pursue his career as an NHL coach.

45. Bill J says:

When there has been 2 Cite-able examples of a ENGLISH coach, one of which won the Calder Cup with the team only to be fired & replaced by a French speaking Coach.

The 2nd one now replacing said French speaking Coach.

Bergie is complaining about lack of French support from the Habs, when it has happened twice in recent memory that they have hired anything BUT a French Head Coach.  And again to repeat myself, the last one WON a championship.

Cré ben! indeed

😉

46. K-hab25 says:

Hitler felt the same way as you, he didn’t want to assimilate either. He also thought that he and his people were more “unique” than everyone else in the world, like you. If you don’t see how bigoted you sound, I feel very sorry for you. Oh and Montreal probably wouldn’t have a team right now if it wasn’t for a man, that didn’t even speak french, saving it from relocation. Remember the Habs belong to the Molsons/NHL, not the Quebec province and can be relocated without permission from the french canadiens you claim the team belongs too. It’s a business, not a land mark, like the eiffel tower.

47. Bill says:

Your defense of Bergeron and his xenopohobic ilk can hardly be termed “keepin it real”. Sorry.

I love the first paragraph of Bergeron’s article, where he describes himself as “stunned” by the news, and dramatically describes himself saying “It can’t be, it just can’t be” over and over in his head before regaining his equilibrium.

Full Breezer 4 Life

48. ZepFan2 says:

“He doesn’t hate English coaches. He doesn’t hate Chinese coaches either.”

As long as they’re smaller than him.

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

49. forskis says:

Fair enough…although it would be neat to have a unilingual francophone coach and have Lapierre translate everything.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

50. HabFanSince72 says:

They should go back to the Maritimes.

51. SeriousFan09 says:

Only game in town tends to work out well for some teams, while Hammertown struggles to get 4,000 bums in the seats for Bulldogs matches, I’ve seen their road games in the US, playing the Norfolk Admirals I believe it was close to a full house.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

52. Bugs says:

J’ai lu Bergeron et j’ai lu c’que t’as dis. L’ex-coach veut privilégier les Français, pas rabrouer les Anglais.

Ni rabrouer les Slovaques ou les Sri-lankais.

Le “pas en arriere de dix ans” dans l’embauche du nouveau, c’est le manquement au cycle d’engager des Français. Rien à voir avec la compétence de Cunneyworth.

C’est ça qu’t’as pas compris, cré ben.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

53. ed lopaz says:

if I was hiring, no unilingual coach would be interviewed.

if a coach ONLY spoke French, he would NOT BE INTERVIEWED EITHER!!

54. SeriousFan09 says:

One of the most crucial decisions a coach can make is his captain and frankly, I don’t see how any goalie can be your team captain, they need to find someone else to wear that C in VAN. Julien, he’s on his 3rd NHL team already after getting sacked twice and his playoff record with the Bruins is hardly impressive, first he rides the Bruins to their best season in years and then falls to the Hurricanes in the playoffs, then he blows a 3-0 series lead in the post-season, that was flat-out embarassing and will haunt the franchise for years.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

55. Bill J says:

Hey I agree… Except your wrong on why this team was created.

Read up on it.  It’s a fact.

MTL had two other teams (both English speaking) so the Habs where created to appease the French community, and the intent was to load them up with French Canadian players.

The rest I agree with, for the Habs – should be THE BEST CANDIDATE – period!

56. Bill J says:

Actually I am aware that is part of what Bergie wants, but the Habs chose to pick Cunneyworth as opposed to another Q Coach…

Why is the first response “They should have found another Young promising French Coach”

Notice how NO “names” have been mentioned yet… ?

Perhaps the Habs felt there was no qualified French candidates that had interest in coming to the AHL.

We don’t know if Roy has been approached ?  In fact my bet is that Roy is waiting for the QC franchise to return.

Not like the last English Coach in Hamilton did a bad job, after all he DID lead them to the Calder Cup Championship didn’t he ?

Isn’t WINNING a more important lesson ?

57. K-hab25 says:

Do you honestly believe making money wasn’t the owners top priority? In those days of course it would’ve also been to showcase Quebec talent aswell, but I still think the owner wanted to make money and what better way than to rally Quebec behind there french canadien laden team. Like you say though, this isn’t 100 years, or even 50 years ago. In the here and now, when french canadien players have a “real choice”, more choose to play in PHI and TB. While are team is loaded with english and eastern european speaking players. All that should matter, IMO, is can the coach communicate with the players and can the GM communicate with other GM’s, not if they can communicate with lord porta potty, in his native tongue. Period!!!

58. Bugs says:

Please don’t compare to make point on this matter, Billy. Cotton-farmers now? Oh, you got me now. Please.

I don’t care about the cotton-farmers. I don’t care about “human rights”, the 19th century, or the King of Bayonne. Let the resta the world deal with their own dang problems in their own dang way and not look at us as comparables to explain their plight either.

We’re the Club de Hockey Canadien. That’s it; that’s all. There is no other team like us in the world. We’re going to uphold that heritage despite allll the cotton-farming you can come up with, Billy, sorry to say.

That’s how we do things and that’s how we’re going to CONTINUE to do things.

Now, I know a lot of people are dying to be assimilated. But assimilation is no guarantee of succes either.

So given the choice between a 1 in 30 chance of winning by being assimilated and a 1 in 30 chance of winning by being Unique in the World, we’ve decided to stick with the Unique in the World option.

Thanks.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

59. Mattyleg says:

I think you proved a point you weren’t trying to make, Bill.

Guy Boucher is what Bergeron wants to see more of: young local coaches getting the opportunity to hone their skills. Like Boucher did. Instead, the management hired someone who started in the business 10 years ago, and hockey’s changed. Although I don’t think that it’s such a step back as he says (experience is also welcome at that level), I respect that he wants to see Hamilton as being a place for young local coaches.

And I may be unpopular for saying this, or get a big pile of “How do you know…” responses, but if there was an equal amount of local Anglo coaches, I would like to think that Bergie would support them too. It’s about local media promoting local talent.

Is that so odd?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

60. Bill J says:

For one, I certainly am not the one turning this into something it isn’t

For two, it has everything to do with FRENCH.  Has nothing to do with “young/fresh blood”

If anyone is guilty of trying to change what this is about, it is you.

Nice try though 😉

61. forskis says:

Well, considering that many consider Bowman to be THE greatest coach and Pollock THE greatest GM and Guy Boucher THE greatest choice for the Habs…apparently everyone can rank coaches and GMs.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

62. homerbowen says:

Perhaps when the Q can develop better players then the coaches will be rewarded as well. The WHL and OHL is moving much more quickly then the Q and better coaching is needed there before the AHL.

63. forskis says:

Counting is important…you cannot win #4 if you do not win #1, #2 and #3…also since naysayers and downers did not think they would win #1…the team should like the fact that they got to #3…

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

64. Bill J says:

You are correct – for some reason I was considering the 95-96 cup loss to Colorado as a Victory for the Panthers.

OK so FLA can be moved … lol

65. TorontoHabsFan says:

I hadn’t realized that the Remparts drew that well!

Nevermind :)

66. ed lopaz says:

Who can rank coaches like that?

67. Bill J says:

Actually K-Hab – the Habs WHERE created for the French Canadian players ONLY.

That was the original intent for this team…. ONE HUNDRED & ONE years ago…

So while Bugs is correct, it is a bit of a stretch to assume this would STILL be the “team’s philosohy” in 2010-11.

68. ed lopaz says:

I can accept that, and I agree that a Cup would shut everyone up in a hurray – but the Habs are not in the Championship Business these days. They like to count how many playoff series they win, though.

69. Bill J says:

So very true…

70. Bugs says:

A “step backwards” as in “not re-stepping in the direction of hiring French coaches”.

Not “Cunneyworth is a step back in the Competent Department.”

Don’t be turning this into something it isn’t, Billy.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

71. forskis says:

Nit-picking….but the Panthers have never won a Cup…

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

72. forskis says:

Wait until a Chinese government-run investment fund buys the Habs or a Chinese player gets named Captain of the Habs and then we shall see what Bergie says. 😛

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

73. Bill J says:

Certainly would “fit the bill” as they say.

However there’s an unwritten rule, the NHL will not move Stanley Cup Winning franchises….

Means BOTH Florida teams are safe :(

74. SLONCOLD says:

how about they respect their fans with a championship……… you earn your job, english or french. the french fans aren’t owed a french coach or player, nor are the english fans. the fans deserve the best available coach, gm, scouts and so on…..

75. forskis says:

Absolutely, they should respect their fans..and they do…so does that mean you would hire the best francophone available instead of the best of all available?

A very, very hypothetical question…the Habs can hire one of the Top-5 coaches available (all are available), #5 is the francophone…do you think the Habs should hire #5 even though they could get #1-#4?

“I am guilty of using elipses…”