Happy parade, Boston

bruins-cup

They’re expecting a million or more Bruins fans to line the streets of Boston this morning for the team’s Stanley Cup parade. Good for them; hope they enjoy. There is nothing like a Cup parade.

And in a flashback to a classic oops, the last time the Bruins had their team engraved on Lord Stanley’s chalice, BOSTON was misspelled, Qs used in place of Os.

B’s will be good for a while

RDS dumps Benoit Brunet

1. habstrinifan says:

Think with the new Cap there will be a bigger free agent frenzy than last year?

Sounds like a plus but PG will have to work harder to compete and still not throw money away at overrated UFA’s.

And the cap floor sucks for low-earning teams now.

Good news.. no reason why PG cant fill the three huge holes in his team now… A BIG MEAN d-man/A BIG INTENSE ‘make other people better’ Centre/ and a more skilled(better) backup to Carey capable of playing more games.

And oh yes resign Markov.

2. habstrinifan says:

See I knew this was gonna happen! We complained too much and now all of the HIO MAGI have deserted us. What is it two days in a row and no new Morning threads posted to start the discussion by either Boone or Stubbs or Todd or one of HIO’S heavy-hitters.

I am left to have my coffee while re-reading the junk I wrote.

Somebody post something… anything.

3. Critical-MASS says:

I read somewhere that Weber’s been signed or is virtually signed to a 2 year extension.Yannick that is.

4. slychard says:

MARK10 Ratchand will never drop them as you said cause he’s surrounded by goons. Coward he is. Had he been a hab he’d have been… Ineffective

5. slychard says:

No reason spacek can’t be moved… For pucks if needed, to Any team having to reach league floor. Same as Gomez. PG the ball is in your court. SERVE!

• Landof10000lakesHab says:

No offense – this has been beat to death. Gomez will be the #2 C to start the year and Spacek will be 3rd pair D this coming season with his over 35 contract.

Lots of Hab players left to sign and the draft coming up. Who will the Habs draft at #17, and will they attempt to move up or move down to secure a 2nd round pick? Will the Habs draft a goalie somewhere in this draft as (after Price) this is a major org weakness?

How about the rebuild going on in the Dog pound? Is Trotter coming back from the KHL thinking (or advised by PG) that he has a shot with the Habs this year, or Engqvist, or Paushaj – will there be even one opening this fall for a promotion? Will Diaz dominate in Hamilton?

The Habs rarely spend to the Cap limit to start the season, will it be the same this year? This has ramifications for those hoping that Wiz, Markov, and one top six UFA winger is added.

Even the HIO discussions regarding size (or the supposed lack of) are at least conversations that are more likely occuring within Habs Mgmt’s inner circle.

What about the impact of surgeries to Eller and Leblanc – when will these players return to action? This is the year for Eller to step up to the next level and for LeBlanc to show he can play with men (Dogs).

Is anyone thinking about how bad the Habs were on face-offs (Road games) this past season? Halpern is not likely to be signed again and he was our best bet on the draw.

Pouliot will be signed as an RFA, that is likely, then what happens? Is his NHL future now as a 3rd line winger and is that ok with Habs Mgmt? Will he be moved for a draft pick, or less?

Is Hal Gill really a top four Dman?

Is it time for Don Cherry be moved from Coaches Corner to a Senior’s complex?

Lots of good stuff to discuss…

6. WOW.

Salary Cap will be 64 Million dollars next season!! That’s almost 5 million more!! Great news!!

• Looks like Wiz + Markov isn’t out of the question. Or Markov + a solid top 6 forward like Brooks Laich.

• habstrinifan says:

“Or Markov + a solid top 6 forward like Brooks Laich.” Like that combination move. Even may be able to add a son-of-a-gun D-MAN with Gill’s size and reach but younger and meaner.

• naweed235 says:

ya that is great news… this also means that the Cap Floor is going up too… meaning more teams maybe willing to take Spacek or … Gomez off our hands just to hit the floor… Although I am not crazy about the idea of letting gomez go as long as we do not have an Elite centre to replace him with…

• Sharks9 says:

This means a team needing to hit the cap floor could be interested in Spacek or Gomez! Package both of them for a 7th-rounder!

25 before 14

7. slychard says:

‘Is it because Marchand is a bruin, a sacred squad in hockey night, is it because Sedin is a European, or is it because Marchand is white and PK is black.’ All of the above obviously. Every ex-bruin works for the CBC at HNIC and it truly is a shame. Really. Millbury in my opp is the worst Chip on shoulder one of em all.

8. habstrinifan says:

Aim of PG should be to acquire players which will get team into 3rd round.

Getting there demands that your team must match up physically to then be able to impose it’s skillset on the games.

The finals itself is pure hockey heaven.. all you need to do for any properly brought up hockey player in the Stanley Cup final is wind him up and push him onto the ice and tell him to play his game.

Let’s do it PG. Think 3rd round game 7.

9. slychard says:

Hey serious just read the link. Halleyujah…( however that’s spelled) I mentioned the same points after the Marchand goal in game 7 when he banged the glass taunting Canuck fans. Ratchand will get his next season. He’s a marked rat, every goon will put that rat in his place. Sophomore season will be long. By the way PK did much MUCH less than Ratchand did for a rookie. Can’t wait till next season. Thanks for the link

10. slychard says:

Lol. Cancel that call.

11. SeriousFan09 says:

Bruce Dowbiggin of the Globe and Mail calls out the hypocrisy of rah-rah Marchand, KILL SUBBAN.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

I can’t believe it took this long for someone in the media to bring this up. Marchand has also said so many stupid things in the media all year long, whereas P.K. has been nothing but respectful of everybody in the media, and yet Subban is the one painted as the arrogant rookie who needs to learn.

Give me a break. It really sickens me that the little rat got a Cup in his first season.

• habstrinifan says:

WOW! Thanks for the link. Bruce Dowbiggin does not hold back! WOW!

Wanna look forward, close the book on a 2010-2011 season which had too much foulness around it.. but he sure highlights the discrepancy in reaction and keeps the rancour over treatment of Subban and Pacioretty fresh.

I gotta let it go though.

• D Mex says:

Bruce Dowbiggin – come on down !
      I like what he has to say, and how he says it. With any luck, Marchand will get a rough(er) ride for every minute of his sophomore season.

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

• Marc10 says:

Indeed. It’s about time.

With Cherry you could argue it’s racism. The guy has a long and distinguished career of intolerance. With the other tools at the CBC, it’s Bruin/TO cheerleading. So double standards from that media cabal aren’t surprising.

I don’t know if Marchand will get what’s coming to him. He’s sure to become a more enticing target now, following his play in the post season. But we all know he’s not going to drop them.

“To be irreplaceable, you have to be different”.
      Andy Warhol

Go PK Go!

12. slychard says:

Hammer within a healthy Dcorp and managable minutes in a game (no more then 12) yeah at 2 mill I’d take him.

• Mike D says:

If we didn’t already have Spacek and a few youngsters potentially capable of playing with the Habs, then I would agree. We already have Gill who brings fills the vet. d-man role, and we will likely have Spacek too which gives us two older guys on the blue line. Adding Hammer to the mix sadly isn’t a wise move, especially considering we also have Yemelin and Weber who will certainly make pushes to stay with the big club.

Hammer deseves credit though as he was a good soldier for us and stepped up beyond what was a reasonable expectation for him in filling in for injuries on the back end the past couple of seasons.

- Honestly yours

13. slychard says:

Yemelin is big and apparently truculent, why should he not be able to carry the experience of 3 KHL seasons over to the NHL without skipping a beat. Rookie in the league perhaps but not a greenhorn. Look at PK, he was awesome in the playoff last year and he carried that in his rookie season. I expect great things from yemelin.

14. habstrinifan says:

OK! I got it! Our defense for next season.

We sign Markov next week. Forget any idea re Wiz.. some may regret some may be ok.

Then we go out and get UFA Shane O’Brien ex Marlies/Aneheim pick for about 1.6 to 1.8. What does he bring us? Huge physicality.. wont back down. Not a liability with the puck either.
    In his 8 seasons in NHL he has had 5 with positive plus-minus and been plus in last two years.

Has surpassed expectations as a late round draft choice who quickly became NHLer and has stayed in the bigs since then.

With him on defense you can then use Weber as chip in a deal to beef up front re scoring .

So our killer defense will be…

Subban/Gorges
    Markov/O’Brien .. let’s see folks take liberties with Markov.
    Yemelin/Gill
    Spacek

Mix and match as you will…

This defense will have SIZE/GRIT/SPEED/YOUTH/EXPERIENCE/MOBILITY and BALANCE.

Once Yemelin gains his confidence you will have truculence to make Brian Burke green.

• natethegreat says:

i understand where your going with the whole shane o’brien idea, but i personally think he is the wrong guy. he is too much of a goon, not so much touch. also, he was the first person vancouver got rid of to make room for hamhuis. also, the fact he could come cheep is a good indication of what other general managers think of him. a good depth defender, not much else. i would hate to see him play with markov. we need someone good to play with markov (see komisarek…). i do think we need a younger and bigger D tho. i just don’t think Shane O’brien is the right guy for our team.

• Andrew65 says:

We do NOT want O’Brien. He was always in the doghouse in Vancouver. He’s the kind of party animal that eventually gets run ouf of Mtl. (think Theodore, Sergei, etc). And he’s really not that good. Inconsistent, undisciplined.

I’m liking the Talbot talk though. That would be a good fit. Dupuis would be okay too. Yeah, they’re depth players, but a definite upgrade over some of the underachievers filling those roles now. Pouliot looks great some games, but awful most nights. He’s the kind of guy who’s satisfied if he scores one goal. No drive to keep up the intensity beyond that. Pyatt’s reliable, but where’s the upside? Other guys who may be good for a depth upgrade: Upshall, Higgins (I hated seeing him go the first time) Laich (if we can afford him) Fiddler (for a year or two). Some of these guys can take the defensive/PK duties off of Pleks, who could easily add 25-30 points with some more energy for offense.

• habstrinifan says:

OK back to the drawing board.. I think. But you see where I am going. Would love a GILL-size guy back there with mean stare and meaner disposition.

Wouldnt mind if anyone else chimes in cause this guy, although he’s been moved around, has not really underperformed.

Maybe his partying? Would love to hear some of the other knowledgeable posters chime in before I tell my people to cancel the phone call to his people.

• Mike D says:

Not to throw another wrench into plans idea here, but where do we get the roster spot for him? Let’s assume that Wiz isn’t re-signed and PG finds a way to move Spacek this summer (even though we’re likely to have one of them come October), that still leaves us with Markov, Gill, Gorges, Subban, Yemelin, and Weber.

I understand that Weber would be the likely candidate to either sit in the press box or play in Hamilton, but it’s one thing to tell the kid, “just wait another year until we have a roster spot for you (Spacek)”, than it is to say, “hey we just signed a UFA, so I guess you’re odd man out”. The latter sends the type of message that leads players to think they have a better chance of making it with another club.

- Honestly yours

• habstrinifan says:

Spacek is a veteran signed D-spare where our hands are tied so he is 7th D PERIOD.
            Then you list (as is mine ) is Markov, Gill, Gorges, Subban, Yemelin, and Weber.

So among the 8 D there really is no HUGE TOUGH D-MAN. I know Yemelin projects to be one but he still is a rookie.

I say add that element and use Weber as trade material to fill other holes. Except for maybe the proclaimed grit of Yemelin and maybe a little from P.K we have a very ‘soft’ defense.

Someone like O’Brien will give it backbone while Weber will only add the same of what we got.

15. slychard says:

By the way pats let me ask you, after all I listed (and I’m skipping on more obvious discrepancies regarding this conspiracy) what do YOU think? Yeah do you think it right the disciplanarian of a league has a son playing in it? Tell me if I am wrong and why.

16. slapshot777 says:

There are rumblings that Winnipeg may be willing to part ways with Bosigian. I wouldn’t mind seeing PG see what it would take to take him off their hands.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

17. Castor says:

I wouldn’t want Pouliot on the team. He had his chance and he blew it. I’d rather spend that money to make sure Wiz stays. Bring up someone instead of BP.

Someone on this page said Wiz was ‘no better than average’

He had 51 points this year. 2nd on the team. More than Cammy and Gionta…would you consider them average?

• christophor says:

Someone else instead of BP, producing at the same level as BP, with BP’s minutes, (let alone that maybe-now’s-the-time-he-lives-up-to-his-billing factor), will cost more than BP.

So much for your theory of re-allocating the BP fund to Wiz.

The guy will cost under 2mill. At his worst, he’s still underpaid at that salary. Sign him up.

18. dhenry1234 says:

Can all of this boston crap please End? Isn’t this a Canadiens website? Last I checked Ryder isn’t a Hab anymore.

19. slapshot777 says:

I heard earlier month that The Habs might be interested in Patrice Bergereon from Boston, but it looks like the Bruins are about to re-sign him for $ 15 mil for 3 seasons.

here’s the link

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

20. slychard says:

Pats I only got personnal because you called that other poster a moron. So. As for reversing the table and my habs had Campbell’s son and one of our player decapitated a bruin with no suspension yes I would feel somewhat skittish, I’d take the cup, don’t get me wrong, but I would have to agree with the conspiracy theorists. Something is amiss in the front office. You cannot have the disciplinarian of a league write emails to refs complaining how to call on his son (while a panther) or have him make calls or suspensions on any conference teams where his son is concerned. Be it flyers, Habs, islanders. Any conference team’s player suspension that could possibly have an outcome on the final standing. Unbalanced bias is human nature. You get where I’m coming from? Bruins won. But please. I can go on but I won’t. Sorry I called you a moron but don’t call other posters moron as well. Enjoy the bruins cup. I’m still cleaning up my vomit from it.

21. TorontoHabsFan says:

I actually didn’t realize that Talbot was a UFA. Does anybody know what wing he can play? I see he’s listed as a Centre on his wiki but shoots left. Could he fill that hole left by Pouliot?

I think he might be a worthwhile risk to overpay a bit to get him here. His last contract was $1.05m/yr – think he’d be worth something in the $2.5m range? I know that Pittsburgh isn’t in any shape to overpay to keep him.

I could see him playing a similar role for us as Burrows does in Vancouver. Plus he seems like the kind of guy who’d revel in playing in front of a hometown crowd (just a hunch)

• SeriousFan09 says:

2.5 million for Talbot is overpayment when he’s never gone above 13 goals in a season and holds only one strong playoff run on his record. He brings a lot of little things to the game but I wouldn’t pay him over 2 million, if that even.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Think he’d test the market for that much or will Pittsburgh sign him for that? If he’s available at that price ($2m) I’d be totally cool with Montreal making him an offer. He seems like the kind of guy that can play a variety of roles for a team.

I really haven’t heard anything about his status in the rumour mill. Is it even a possibility that he’ll test the market or is his re-signing in Pittsburgh un fait accompli?

• SeriousFan09 says:

Apparently Talbot has said he has an interest in MTL so it may come down to who offers what.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
          SF09 on Twitter

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Wow, I just looked up his career totals – they are definitely lower than I thought. Amazing what a good playoff will do for your perception of a player eh?

I agree – $2m at most. I think he’d be a an instant favourite in Montreal and would play up to the expectations (and not be burdened by them like Gui was).

• deuce6 says:

Player in the Max Lapierre mold..Same skill set..Would you pay Max 2M?

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

22. slychard says:

Hey Pats. You are the moron if you don’t beleive there was a serious conflict of interest within the NHL front office. Ok they won next

• pat s says:

slychard–i won’t get personal but just answer me this–if montreal won and boston fans were saying the only reason we won rested on the fact that the refs helped us or the league was on our side what would you be saying–that is all i’m saying and please don’t get so personal–i really don’t care–i don’t get food put on my table by watching sports or writing comments on this site–for me, watching sports is fun, i don’t get mad at others for not agreeing with me–

• Aybara says:

If the league’s head disciplinarian’s son played for the habs, and the owner of the habs had a close relationship with Bettman? Then I’d have to think quite a bit on the question of league bias. I probably wouldn’t accept it, but that would be because I have my own personal bias, being a fan of the team getting the help.

The reason for the possibility of Boston getting preferential treatment is because of the factors mentioned above and the string of incidents that they didn’t get suspended for when precedents for similar occurrences had been set.

• habstrinifan says:

Nice response to unnecessary ad hominem bent.

23. TorontoHabsFan says:

On this Father’s Day I’d like to take a moment and thank my dearly departed old man for having the good sense to make this Toronto boy a Habs fan.

Thanks Pops.

(he might as well have named me Sue for all the good it did me growing up :)

24. The Habs needs to signed 9 more players for a total of 22. Salary Cap remaining is 18,129,490. Here is my choice on players being signed for 17,850,000. That leaves the team with 279,490. If the cap goes up 3 or 4m its a bonus.

Jaromar Jagr – 1.25m / 1 yr

Subban / Gill
    Markov / Yemelin
    Wiz / Gorges
    Spacek

Price
    Auld

Players that will be done after this season are

Hal Gill
    Jaromar Jagr
    Alex Auld
    Jaroslav Spacek
    Andrei Kostitsyn
    Mathieu Darche
    Travis Moen

RFA’s for next season are
    Carey Price
    PK Subban
    Lars Eller
    Alexei Yemelin

That free up 18,420,863 for next season for 11 roster spots.

• cuzzie says:

Salary predictions are way too low.

• Castor says:

By the way, somewhere on here someone said Wiz is average. Average? After Plekanec he had the most points on the team last year. More than Gionta and Cammy. Wouldn’t you consider them above average?

25. slychard says:

Haha… Roberge jersey, boy that kid is quick. I’ve never heard of Roberge untill today…on this thread. So I give the kid kudos for ingenuity. Welcome to the familia.

26. slychard says:

How diid Orr become a bruin?

• ZepFan2 says:

I was just screwing around with her.

But here’s the not so exciting story.

“At this time (1936) in the NHL and right through the late 60′s amateur players were signed by NHL teams to C forms and then placed on their appropriate junior clubs or minor pro clubs depending on their age. The most extreme case of this was Bobby Orr. Orr signed a C form three weeks before his 12th birthday with the Boston Bruins. He was so young his parents signature was required. When he turned 14 he began playing for Boston’s junior sponsored team, the Oshawa Generals. That’s how Orr became a Bruin.”

———————————————————————-
      Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

27. habstrinifan says:

Who is Boris Roberge? I mean am I clueless or is he real?

Some posts seem to have him in KHL with Trotter and some posts seem to be wisecracking.

Meanwhile my latest son-in-law wannabe bought me what he claims to be an authentic Boris Roberge HABS jersey.

I need help on this one. I mean you cant help but welcome into the family a man who goes out and brings you a ‘first run’ HABS jersey emblazoned B. Roberge…. even if it says made in Singapore.

So help me out guys. Is B. Roberge real and a prospective HAB.
    The answer will determine if I kick the lout out or spring for the wedding.

Thanks.

28. habs001 says:

while anything can happen it is very unlikely we will improve our scoring thru ufa or trade…we do have a player who can really add to our scoring and is paid pretty well…camm just cannot have a 20 goal season …it is reasonable to expect 30-35 goals from him…maxpac i believe will score but it may take the second half of the season to do so…we can really improve our scoring by the type of d we are able to start…the d could be a major key to our scoring improvement…some people have mentioned to resign hammer but there is no way you can compete 4 rounds in the playoffs if 3 of your d are spacek,gill and hammer…

29. ooder says:

i’m reading here how some people prefer konopka over Jagr…
    are people insane?
    they prefer a 4th line plug over one of the best hockey players of all time.
    over a multiple Stanley cup winner, a winner of multiple awards, an olympic and IIHF gold medalist.
    over a guy who played in the playoffs with broken ribs, who is big and strong, can shoot and is very hard to get off the puck.
    and some people prefer konopka????? wtf am i missing here
    ——————
    Gomez: 36 and counting!

• Bugs says:

Wow, Jagr did all that?
      Hey, in that case, maybe we should get Henri Richard instead. He’s got even MORE trophies and medals racked up…huh? What?
      I don’t get it; why not???

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Konopka had more than 10x as fights as goals last season, I don’t see how MTL benefits from having a guy ‘for key faceoffs’ if he’s going to smashing his hands into dust from fighting and be stuck in the box for 5-minute majors.

Let’s get Talbot if anything, he can fire up his team and between White and Moen they would get things done and would fight when necessary, not for the sake of it.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• pat s says:

i’ll take talbot or konopka–we need more guys like that to increase our intensity and have a hatred towards other teams–this pretty boy hockey does not work–how much more evidence do you need–i would not be saying this if montreal won–i would be saying i was wrong but the fact is they have not won–some of you just don’t want to give that blue collar style a chance b/c its not your type of hockey–say that instead b/c it makes more sense–

• Steven says:

I agree that we need more toughness and grit but if you have to go for either polar opposite(being a team full of goons, or a team full of small, skilled players) which would you take?

The goon method won’t work, I assure you. If you think about the kind of game Boston plays, then relate that they were the least penalized team in the League, versus our play, which had us as one of the most, it’s safe to say Boston gets a helping hand. What I’m trying to say here is, if we had the same style of hockey, we’d be miles worse because we’d be penalized even more excessively than we were this year.

• pat s says:

steven–very valid points and i agree with you–i’m not saying stack out team with goons but we need players that are soldiers to win 16 games in the playoffs–we are way to soft–boston is one tough team–they control the boards–they wear you down-that speed finessse game may get you in the playoffs but it won’t win you the cup–look at chicago and pittsberg–they won the cup b/c they had skill but they also had meat and potatoe type of hockey players also–for me, i love the way boston plays and i want montreal to play that style also–i hate this style we play–i just hate it

in the end i do understand what you are saying

• Steven says:

pat- I agree with you on the need of “meat and potato type of hockey players” but when you say you wish we played the Bruins style, unless we see that style differently, I assure you it wouldn’t work.

I wouldn’t say it’s necessarily a bad style or anything, but you can see from a mile away that we’d be slaughtered with penalties against if we played that way. I assume the simplest solution is to add that grit and toughness but keep the same counterattack style we play. The kingpin on the team is Carey Price, so we have to play around him, not around bruising the opponents.

• Chuck says:

True… you need your faceoff specialist to be available for short-handed draws in your own zone. Fat lot of good he’ll do you if he’s the reason why you’re short-handed.

30. slychard says:

I’m sure PG will unload Spacek b4 the FA period or somtime during. As for friend of friends working for ANY organization coming on this or any sight I’m always wary. Why would Fla take on Komi and his 3 years overinflated contract over one year of Spacek before the UAF contract is over. Think about it.

31. Sal says:

Never watched the tainted team from boston raise the cup, their parade, or anything related to their tainted victory. I don’t want any visual reminders burned into my memory of this debacle, of a joke of a cup final. As far as I am concerned this didn’t happen. NHL officailly a bush league. Where’s the shame?

Sal from the Hammer

• pat s says:

of course–the refs were the reason why boston won–i used to tell my friends who go for boston who said the samething they are in denial when montreal won–give me a break–they desrved the cup–their grit, toughness, blue collar style of hockey won them the cup–in montreal, they like that pretty boy hockey and it doesn’t work–the sooner the habs accept this the better b/c fans like me that want montreal to play that style have to suffer–please

the bottom line boston won the cup so the evidence speaks for itself–i’m not even going to debate this anymore

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

the evidense speaks for itself? you mean the evidence that shows Colin Cambell was directing refs to not make calls on Boston?

• Sal says:

So don’t debate it anymore. Your a moron. Guys like you miss the point anyway. Here, I’ll try to dumb it down for you.

The Habs don’t have to BEEF up to beat the Bruins, they took them to seven, three OTs, and have beat them 9 of the last 12 in regular season play the past two years. The Habs aren’t intimidated by the Goouins. The difference is that now that goon hockey is in vogue, the refs aren’t calling goon tactics. That’s what good skating/skill/tough teams will have to contend with. The Goouins didn’t beat Vancouver on skill, they won because the league forced Vancouver to change their game to adapt to the Gooins style of play, not the other way around. Plus, the Gooiuns got their entire playoff run handed to them by a league that took three playoff rounds to acknowledge they had a conflict of interest issue. Then the NHL had the balls to say Campbell was stepping down because he was tired, and, not a single sports journalist had the integrity to call them on it!! Amazing!! Tainted Victory. Simple enough for you??

Sal from the Hammer

• pat s says:

yeah ok sal–you are right, use every excuse in the book of why they won cup–hillarious

dumb it down alright–

they won the cup for crying out loud–accept it and give them credit for doing their job–get real–next year when another team wins, i am sure i will read more of your excuses of why that team won the cup–what are you going to say if boston wins again–they probably will have close to the same team

your a moron–i think you mean you are a moron–just pointing that out to you–come on man, don’t get so mad, i know the truth hurts

what if this happened, another 2 minutes, only if the ref called that penality, if the linesman didn’t call icing, if the ice was better, if we played on tuesday instead of wednesday and blah blah blah

the bottom line is that boston rolled 4 lines, they crashed and banged, they had great leadership, they overcame injuries, at the end of the day they deserved to win the cup—

• pat s says:

hey Sal on facebook, knuckles(my favorite hab player) said that boston was the better team, and that they desrved to win the cup—i guess you disagree with that

• HNS says:

Or you can say the Booins won cause Luongo shart the bed.

• pat s says:

i say if they played at 10:30EST boston would have lost, i say if they played on thursday as opposed to wednesday boston would have lost

• Alexandra says:

@pat s-
        I suppose we can say the same things about those Montreal Cups that are tainted because of Norris’ financial backing for some 30+ years, not to mention the “gift” given to the Habs as a player of their choice from Quebec, all resulting in Cups that really never happened, or at least where an asterisk should be attached.
        Anyway, good to see a team win playing traditional Canadian style hockey; finally!

• ZepFan2 says:

“not to mention the “gift” given to the Habs as a player of their choice from Quebec, all resulting in Cups”

Nice try. Except it’s a load of crap.

“From 1936-1943 Montreal protected 14 players through this special draft. Unfortunately none of them ever played a minute in the NHL.

How about we talk about how Orr became a Bruin?

———————————————————————-
          Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

• Bugs says:

Yeah, it was so unfair that Mtl got first dibs on players from Quebec when Boston wasn’t allowed to get first dibs on players from Massachusetts or Detroit on players from Michigan or St.Louie on players from Missouri and and L.A. on players from California and all the other clubs on players from their home province/state.
          Boy, that was unfair, eh?
          Say though, how come no one’s pickin Quebecers first and second overall on drafts now that that “gift” ISN’T in place anymore?
          Weird…

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Boston signed Bobby Orr before his voice cracked pretty much, that seemed to help them out a bit.

Every team before the Entry Draft was signing everyone who could skate and hold a stick at once to C-Forms, Montreal just did it better.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
          SF09 on Twitter

• Bugs says:

Now THAT’S what I’M talkin about!

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• HardHabits says:

Same here. I didn’t even watch the hand-shake. I think it’s the 1st SCF hand shake and Cup ceremony that I totally had no interest in.

Especially screw their parade. Anybody who is not a Bruins fan who watched that is truly masochistic.

Here’s my next season’s HH dream team game 1 starting line-up:

Cammy-Plekanec-Jagr
    Gionta-Gomez-Pacioretty
    AK46-Eller-White
    Moen-Konopka-Darche

Subban / Gill
    Markov / Yemelin
    Wiz / Gorges

Price

• ZepFan2 says:

Nice.

One question. Who’s the back up goalie?

———————————————————————-
      Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

• mike3131 says:

I agree. If not Jagr, I still think we should go after a player like Brooks Laich or somethin’.
      However, I think Darche should play on the third line as he has proven to be a decent scorer (he was on pace for 40 pts this year). Auld should remain as backup.

♪ And we’re livin’ here in Allentown… ♪

• HardHabits says:

Yes. Essentially a veteran top six forward with size.

I also agree with your Darche 3rd line role as I see him and White as interchangeable.

Auld is OK with me but IMO give him 15 to 20 starts so Price is good and rested for the play-offs and so the team (and JM) learns to win with him not in nets.

• Bugs says:

Jagr on the first line of the STARTING line-up is a colossal mistake.
      Who can tell me why?

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

33. issie74 says:

RDS …. Saying we should hear something on Markov at the beginning of the week.

They usually have it first.

NorthTOHab

• ed lopaz says:

Don Meehan was quoted last Wednesday, June 15th, that the Markov situation would be cleared up next (this) week.

LES NÉGOS AVEC MARKOV SE POURSUIVENT
      MERCREDI 15 JUIN 2011
      LA PRESSE CANADIENNE

C’est ce qu’a laissé entendre l’agent de Markov, Don Meehan, mercredi, en réponse à un courriel de La Presse Canadienne.

HH question of the day. PG does the miraculous and signs both Markov and Wisniewski and manages to trade Spacek.

With the following six defensemen, Emelin, Gill, Gorges, Markov, Subban and Wisniewski, what are you line combos?

Mine are–>

Subban-Markov
    Gill-Gorges
    Wisniewski-Emelin

35. Toe Blake says:

What’s the deal with this Boris Roberge guy from the K? He sounds intriguing!

36. CHsam says:

Frickin Brian Burke and his first rounders.

37. slamtherimtim says:

My fear is if we dont sign markov or the wiz before july 1st , we can lose both of them , they are both good players who other teams would want so i have to believe one will be signed before the 1st , it suks having a GM that doesnt talk to the media , ,

This is a repeat post about our 2011 HIO SUMMIT.

– Over the years many have travelled from as far as the Yukon, Calif, and Hong Kong to meet and great their fellow HIO community. Great weekend Summit planned for both young and old. Dates and game ticket prices at the end of July.

Be ready again this year to send me a money order for game seats as soon as the club notifies me at the end of July, as to price and sections available. If you are interested in better, but more expensive seats, we will be able to get them this year. Our HIO group is being given some preferential treatment. We have a choice of how many seats and in better sections if we want them. Let me know after I get all the information.

Everyone is welcome to this years HIO weekend Summit in Montreal, bring the whole family and meet your fellow HIO family members this year.

I received two letters pertaining to our 2010 Annual Hockey Inside Out Fan Weekend Summit. One from Anna Gainey thanking us for our donation of $1200 again this past year to the Gainey Children’s Foundation. Hockey Inside Out Hab Fans have now raised over $5000 in total for this charity. We are a very generous group!

I also received a letter from Reg Houle thanking us for our continued support. And that he will see us all at next years Summit

And below I received a letter reminding us that the dates for our next years Summit will be out at the end of July. I will pick the best dates that gives us a game Friday at Hurley’s and Saturday at the Bell Center.

Dave Stubbs mention to me that he will try to get a few players to hang out with us for a while this year.

So pay attention to the site so you do not miss out on 2012 Summit tickets that have to be paid and ordered well in advance.
    Some disappointed HIO members missed out on tickets last year because they were on summer vacation when we collected for the tickets and ordered them.

Dear Mr. Cobb,

On behalf of the entire Canadiens organization, I would like to thank you for your support during this past hockey season. Gathering a group of fans for a game at the Bell Centre requires a lot of time on the part of the group organizer. To that end, your involvement is greatly appreciated.

Though our playoff run was unfortunately too short, it was nevertheless exciting from start to finish. Pierre Gauthier and his team are already planning for next season and we feel we can build on a solid core of promising young players and talented veterans.

At the end of July, we will forward to you the official home game calendar for the 2011-12 season and all the details regarding group sales and our ice rental programs. The information will also be available at the same time on our Web site, canadiens.com.

I would like to take this opportunity to wish you a great summer –

I’m looking forward to seeing you all again in September. Until then, please do not hesitate to communicate with me or our group sales team.

Regards,
    Pierre Constant
    Director, Group Sales
    Club de hockey Canadien

39. slychard says:

“will take less money to do so” a la what Markov did at the time upon signing this currently expiring contract

40. showey47 says:

If PG knows ahead of time he can only keep one of either markov or the wiz. I hope he atleast does the smart thing and trades the negotiating rights for the other. If we can’t sign the wiz,at least cash in on the good offensive season he had by trading his rights for a 2nd rounder or something.

41. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Even if we had the money to offer the Wiz. Thats all we can do, make an offer. He’s gonna be getting lots of offers from lots of teams. Who says he would sign with the habs when he gets a sweet offer from Detroit? All you people yelling “Sign Him!, Sign Him!”

He’s UFA. He has to sign with us. Not the other way around.

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

Exactly. This is a great point.

The only way Wiz stays with the Habs is if he really enjoyed playing here and is willing to take less than market value to stay here. At this point in time, it would be almost crazy for him not to test the market. He will never have more value. He was the 5th best scoring defenseman in the NHL last year and had the most points of ANY UFA defenseman. He also showed that he can play hurt in the playoffs and plays with an edge.

If he goes to July 1, I will not be surprised if some team throws $6 million at him, which of course would be too much. He could get that though, so the only way he stays with the Habs is if he approaches PG and tells him he WANTS to stay and will take less money to do so.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

Yup, I’d luv to have the guy on the team, but I just don’t see it happening. Spacek and Gomez prevent it.

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

I’m starting to wonder if maybe it might be possible to deal Spacek to Florida actually. They have very young defensemen signed right now, and as mentioned may times by TomNickle and others, they will have to spend a lot of money to get to the cap floor. I doubt Tallon will be able to attract 2 or 3 top UFA defensemen, so he might be willing to take Spacek, who only has one-year left on his contract, to add some experience to his blueline and get closer to the floor without having to sign a crazy long-term deal with a UFA. A 7th rounder would be just fine.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

I would love to see Florida take Spacek and Gomez off our hands, but I just don’t see it happening. From what I’ve heard from someone I know in the Panthers organization, Tallon is talking to Burke about trading for Komiserek.

• SeriousFan09 says:

I don’t see anyone taking on the Komisarek deal without exceptional sweeteners from Burke, Komisarek has proved himself hopeless in the last 2 seasons without Markov to cover up his mistakes. FLA needs to squeeze their internal budget for best production possible and 4.5 mil on a 10-point D that doesn’t play very good defence is a bit nuts.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
            SF09 on Twitter

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

Just sayin what I heard. Guess we’ll have to see what happens. But if Tallon is looking to get up to the floor Komi’s contract sure helps.

• SeriousFan09 says:

So does Spacek but they don’t have to worry about his contract hurting them after a year when they might need to make other signings or want to.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
            SF09 on Twitter

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

Oh yes, sorry. I forgot that you peeps here on HIO seem to think the Florida Panthers sole purpose is to take bad contracts like Spacek and Gomez off our hands. Good luck with that.

• SeriousFan09 says:

I just see Spacek more likely than Komisarek right now. He helps them make the cap floor for a year if they need it, anyone who’s a multi-year salary burden could bite them badly later since they operate on an internal budget. Ellerby and Kulikov need extensions after the coming season and they still have to put Gudbranson (with the bonuses he wants) on their books.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
            SF09 on Twitter

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

Even if their internal budget is the cap floor, they have a long way to go. A young player like Komiserek and his contract would help them reach the cap floor for the next three seasons while they tank and rack up the first round draft picks.

• HabFanSince72 says:

No way the Wiz gets $6M. There are actually a few free agent defencemen available this year:

Eric Brewer
        Tomas Kaberle
        Joni Pitkanen
        Kevin Bieksa
        Sami Salo
        James Wisniewski
        Christian Ehrhoff
        Ian White

• slapshot777 says:

There is talk that Detroit will only offer $3.75 mil. That’s only a $500,000 more than he is currently making now. If that is all it will take to get a deal done. Then we should be able to sign both Markov and Wiz.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

• ed lopaz says:

who says Wiz even wants to play in Montreal? A guy from Michigan might take a home town discount to play for a great hockey organisation like the Red Wings.

The Wings field a team that competes for the Cup EVERY YEAR.!!

Subban-xxxxx
    Gill-Gorges
    Spacek-Emelin
    Weber

I can’t see how the Habs can possibly sign both Markov and Wisniewski. Not unless Spacek is traded.

But could you imagine

Subban-Markov
    Gill-Gorges
    Wisniewski-Emelin
    Weber

WOW!!! 50 goals coming from the blue-line with that line-up.

• showey47 says:

I was begging for spacek to be traded last summer to avoid this type of situation. We have a very good oppurtunity to put together a young,mobile and offensively gifted defensive core for many years to come if we can dump spacek and use the money to resign the wiz. Trading spacek will be very difficult unless we take a garbage contract in return. But at least if we take a contract back like souray’s or JP dumont’s we can bury it in hamilton hence freeing up the cap space. If i’m PG that’s the direction i’m taking.

• Bill J says:

Would be awesome!

But more like:

Subban / Wiz
      Markov/ Yemelin
      Gorges / Gill
      Spacek (one last year, try and trade him)
      Weber, trade him

• DearyLeary says:

Nah, wouldn’t want either Wiz or Yemelin taking top pairing minutes.

• HardHabits says:

Your pairings are another option. Either way that would be so awesome.

EDIT: I am going to recant further. Subban and Wiz together is a recipe for disaster.

Subban-Gill
        Markov-Emelin
        Wisniewski-Gorges

Anyways with those six would make defensive pairings more popular than line combos.

• habstrinifan says:

But where is the GRIT in that group. You cannot win the cup without a huge physical presence from the back.

Yemelin is projected to be gritty but he is still gonna be an NHL rookie.

• HardHabits says:

That would be Carey Price. ;-)

If the Habs can get a centre like Konopka and Jagr for the top six

Cammy-Plekanec-Jagr
        Gionta-Gomez-Pacioretty
        AK46-Eller-White/Darche
        Moen-Konpka-White/Darche

There would be decent size on the bottom 6 forward lines and some size on top six too.

• You know, Boris Roberge is not to shabby on D!

43. slychard says:

Hammer was a workhorse indeed. He was a good signing for us. Plus he WANTED and still wants to play for us, at a rebate. I would sign him for a reduced role with no hesitation. Thank you Hammerman.

44. issie74 says:

Given the NHL’s track record of bailing out teams in trouble,NJ Devils just could be the recipient of the league’s generosity in 2011-12
    Mover over Boston.

NorthTOHab

45. kempie says:

Gotta say, I’m a little disappointed with seeing no update today. Cmon guys, can’t you at least do what other media organizations do and just make stuff up? Slackers.

46. It could be true? Just a rumor. Michael F’ch’n Ryder took a pay cut and signed a one year deal for 2.25m to stay in Boston.

47. slychard says:

It never worked when there was impartial refereeing? It only worked because Neely and the bruins have a son who’s father is in the head office. Let’s face it Campbell did not make disciplenary calls when the bruins were involved but he sure had a say in it nonetheless, how would you make a call on the Chara Pax incident as a subbordinate to him knowing you had to see him in the office after the fact. Or what of a call involving conference foes such as Philly and the habs where a suspension of a player would impact the division standings. Neely means nothing in the equasion to that team. The owner showed that in his speach.

48. A buddy of mine told me that the Habs are indeed in talks to get Boris Roberge from Minsk of the KHL. He’s a keeper from what I’m told. Despite his large frame, he can cut through the neutral zone like Gomez and actually accomplish something after he crosses the other team’s blueline.

49. slapshot777 says:

I was browsing through some hockey tidbits today and came across this. It’s about Yannic weber re-signing with the Habs. I looked for more confirmation on this at different sites but found nothing.

CYBERPRESSE.CA: recently noted a report in the Swiss daily Le Matin that defenseman Yannick Weber had reportedly re-signed a two-year extension with the Montreal Canadiens.

Here is the link:

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

• 24 Cups says:

I realize it’s unconfirmed, but Weber for two years is fine by me.

Habs need to show patience and find out what this guy (and others) can do. I’d rather have Weber for two years instead of some over-the-hill Dman who is +35 (and I don’t mean Spacek).

• habitual says:

If you mean Hammer, I disagree with your assessment. He was given more ice time than he should have been given injuries last year, and did us proud. I’d gladly have him back for another year.

50. fofe84 says:

Jeez, you believe these Bruins fans? Living in the past like this? We get it, you won a Stanley Cup one time. Move on.

;-D

51. slychard says:

Why on EARTH would we want Neely in the habs organization. Not to mention Celine Dion tickets, that would be a detterrent for me

52. EricInStL says:

Imagine if the Canadiens could do this. Dear Mr. Neely it has come to our attention that your boss is an ahole.

Why not come to work for us ?

We have a rich tradition and unlike your owner, our owner loves us.

So come to a winning organization who treats it’s greats with respect + you get free tickets to go see Celine whenever she wants to sing at The Bell center. No need to tell you that you would have the best table at Chez Paree.

Regards, The team with the 24 cups up north from you.

53. slychard says:

Was great to see Neely gritting his teeth smile. You know he was pissed at that dig. His dumb and dumber acting still sucks. But what a great comedy

So Jacobs at Bruin parade victory speech decided he had to take a dig at Neely the player. Here is 1 minute speech.

55. DearyLeary says:

The amount of charity/community work PK is doing is astounding. If he’s not training, or playing, he’s out saving the world.

Such a cocky rookie, he has no respect for other players because he’s giving all his respect and dedication to non-hockey players.

So its my understanding that when arbitration is filed the player has the choice of 1 or 2 year contract ruling. If indeed Parise has this option (I know Shea Weber apparantly has this choice) and he chooses to go the 1 year route, this really handcuffs Lou and his normal shrewd dealings. Wouldn’t a 1 year contract show that perhaps indeed Zach wants to take his talents somewhere else? How much can Lou ask for in a trade when the contract is only 1 year and free agency is looming around the corner?

I know the story is that then Owner of the Devils basically told Lou to go get Ilya signed, and that Lou wasn’t in favour of this. Given Martin F. Brodeurs age, the possiblity of losing Zach Parise, I really have to wonder how much longer Lou is going to remain in his present role with the Devils. Interesting times watching, this franchise has a relatively new arena, fans still don’t fill the place and now they could be headed for there first real difficult stretch in years. They finished the season strong, so who knows, but I really get the feeling we won’t see Zach on that team for years to come. He sure would look good in a Habs uniform.

• RGM says:

Because Parise is 26, they can only dish out a 1-year ruling. Arbitration awards cannot encroach upon a player’s UFA years, and since Parise’s 27 next year…

If they’re wise, they’ll get him signed to something well before the hearing; otherwise they will lose him.

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

It’s my understanding that filing for arbitration is just a way for NJ to fend off any potential suitors – that no other team can make an RFA offer until at least after the arbitration hearing.

I suspect that there’s little chance that Parise will actually go to arbitration – Lou is just making sure he’s the only one who can negotiate with him.

• HabFanSince72 says:

A I pointed out a while back, an RFA offer for Parise would entail four 1st round picks going to New Jersey. If the Devils have cap issues maybe that’s a deal they want to take. However I don’t see another team making that offer.

• issie74 says:

NJ – Has 57m in salary at the moment,that is without counting 12 RFA;s
          The backup goaltender is a UFA – who will count as an extra 1m
          I would say they are definitely up against it.

NorthTOHab

57. JohnBellyful says:

Former New York mayor Rudy G. cleaned up Times Square and environs by insisting on strict enforcement of minor laws, such as graffiti, public consumption of alcohol and jumping turnstiles, all of which led to a reduction in major crimes.
    The NHL might consider adopting the same approach, to rid the game of thuggery.
    Inform all players they are to refrain from swearing and spitting, from pushing each other after a stoppage in play, from raising their voices to officials and opponents – or they will be penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct. And subject to supplementary discipline.
    It wouldn’t be long before television mikes started picking up class talking between players:

“Excuse me, Mr. Sedin, it appears you have some condiment on your chin from the pre-game meal. Do let me brush it off.”
    “Mr. Marchand, you’re as good a friend as any European has ever had in the NHL, and I thank you for your solicitude in my outward aspect. Oh dear, you do seem to be having a hard time wiping it off.”
    “I am terribly sorry, Mr. Sedin. I confess that in my zeal I may have exerted too much force in trying to remove some embarrassing evidence of an earlier repast. The referee has just informed me my exertions constitute a foul, which I assure you was unintentional. However, I fully understand why he misconstrued my behaviour as an act of aggression, and I will exercise more restraint in the future. I ask for your forgiveness, Mr. Sedin. Believe me when I say I meant you no harm.”
    “No offence taken.”

“I say, Colton, is it absolutely necessary we resolve our differences – or, to be precise, our teammates’ differences – by engaging in fisticuffs? I am quite willing to engage you in earnest debate away from all this hubbub.”
    “My sentiments exactly, Zenon, which, by the way, is a truly delightful name. Ah, good, the referee is signaling that we continue this discussion in the penalty box. Might I suggest that when you take a swig from the water bottle, that you swallow. It’s not very healthy to be spitting water all over the place. And, frankly, it’s displeasing to the eye.”
    “Colton, my thoughts exactly. You, sir, are a soulmate. Allow me to escort you to the box.”

“Sean, did you just spray ice in my goaltender’s face?”
    “Chris, it wasn’t by design, I assure you. You nudged me as I was pulling up to stop.”
    “That’s what I thought. I feel like such a cad. My apologies to you and … who is it tonight.. oh, hi, Sergei. The two of you have my word I shan’t do it again.”

What is it they say, from little acorns mighty oak trees grow? That’s all the NHL needs to do, foster more civility among the players and pretty soon you’d see an end to headhunting, boarding, staged fights, trash talking, graffiti on the arena boards, urinating on the ice…
    Next: Raising the caliber of the next generation of on-ice officials: wedgies and other teaching tools.

– “A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.” –

58. habs001 says:

i like markov but he has been elevated to superstar status by many hab fans… he is 32 and his 4 best point years were 64, 58,49 and 46…every other year under 40 points….not bad but not sure it warrants superstar status…

• sane hockey fan says:

thats better than duncan keiths 69 45 44 and 42….measuring the worth of a defensemen is about much more than points. Of course you would have to actually know something about hockey other than stats to be able to do that…sorry

• Un Canadien errant says:

shf, you’re being a little harsh on habs001. Thanks for doing the research on Keith, it confirms what I thought, that the point totals Markov got weren’t eye-popping, but still look pretty good these days.

I think a lot of us still think of point totals with the same mindset we had in the 70′s and 80′s: any ‘goal-scorer’ potted at least 40 goals, and a good season was 50 minimum. Orr and Coffey got 100 points in a season, so a star offensive defenceman should get 70-80 minimum.

Having said that, I think the best way for the NHL to market itself is to showcase its stars, and eliminate ‘defensive’ tactics like the neutral zone trap and interference and goonery. I think there would be more excitement about the NHL if there were more 50 goal scorers, and more forward lines like the French Connection or the Legion of Doom.

———————————
        “I hate the Bruins more than the Nordiques, who I hate more than the Flyers.”

• habstrinifan says:

Maybe I will be basically saying the same thing as you but I feel that if the NHL would simply call their rule book and eliminate the culture of ‘let the players play’ or similar tripe then the game would be absolutely more thrilling and be still as physical.

I would love to see hits like Subban has made and also Ovie on Subban. Both players even talked about those hits and took back any silly responses they at first made on the ice. And that is what I mean. The referees should call the rules as they are written and it will leave lots of room for tough physical players… but stupid stickwork and butt-ends and slew-footing etc and yes holding etc which leads to just plain illegal and cruelly unsportsmanlike acts are allowed to go on and on.

I remember in the final game seeing Thomas, even with a good lead, raise his stick and blatantly butt ended someone.. i mean it could have caused serious injury to the eye … and yet the referees did nothing. Dont get me wrong Thomas was also on the receiving end of some dirty tactics. Nothing in that game riled me more than that act and turned me completely off the night.

I never played hockey at a high level. But I played soccer at a very high level. And I remember the great feeling of shoulder to shoulder or hip to hip contact and the pride and almost laughing high you got as your entire strength and balance and yes mental fortitude came into play as you had to withstand an opponent’s physical challenge while maintaining your thought design to execute the play. It was like a shot of steroid. You hurt AFTER but never during from plays like that.

It never fazed me. I remember though being suspended for a playoff run caused I turned around and cocked a guy.. and I mean in a manner meant to KILL him, because he reached out and tripped me.
          I felt that he threatened my entire career doing that and I went bananas.

Having said all that, it occurred to me as I watch Vancouver, that with few exceptions, maybe Bieska and Kessel??, they Canucks had no one whoseemed to enjoy the ‘thrill of utmost physical force to impede and demolish’ your momentum. It takes certain type players to do this and HABS do not have it.. excpet maybe P.K and Vancouver certainly missed it. I am ahuge fan of Max Lapierre for example but he simply doesnt have that… and that is why he is a diminished player. I once wrote that it would serve him well if he got into a boxing fight (you know the old GYM teacher type) and was hit to the face several times and got to know the feeling of tasting your own blood and realizing .. heck this is fun. All his cowardice would be gone and he would be one heck of a GREAT player. He has everything else.

If you heed back to Gainey or Riseborough or Robinson or Bouchard or Tremblay or MacPhee on the ice. You brought the body to them and that would raise their game.. and sitting and watching the give and take was awesome. Now it’s like MMA or whatever thy call that sport.. really ugly mean stuff.

You feel like carrying a razor into the game now.

• JayBee says:

Duncan Keith is a Norris winner. He is better than Markov.

• Tremblant Habs Fan says:

Let’s not forget how Markhov makes his playing partner much better too, Souray, Streit and Komisarek all have Andrei to thank for the hefty raises they got elsewhere, only to turn into mediocre to crappy players.

• JayBee says:

Souray looked good with Markov?

Streit barely played D

The only thing I agree with is Komi…but Komi played awful his last year in MTL and he played with Markov.

If Markov is this amazing D-man, why has he never even been nominated for a Norris trophy?

I like him, and think he’s very good, but the god status that he has in Montreal is hillario.

• The Cat says:

Only because he compares favourably, I mean other than Subban none of them can skate.

• olegpetrov says:

all those point totals would have him in the top 15 in the league. Those point totals are also on par with Chara, a Norris Trophy candidate. How is that not superstar material. Also, look at his PP production, the TOI, and who he plays against. Simply looking at stats is completely ignorant (sorry, i’m not trying to be a jerk, but it is true) because it neglects all other aspects of the game.

Habs fan…Nuff said

• issie74 says:

He is an elite D-Man in this or any other league.

The only problem is his knee but even if you sign him long term and
      he is not able to play,his salary comes off the cap.

I think the Habs owe him that.Sign him long term.He is a lifetime Hab.

NorthTOHab

59. RiverviewCanadien says:

@HH

I disagree why Markov has been injured. That type of D-man will suffer injuries more often than not. Markov on the PP is unreal to watch, in the D zone he can pivot on a dime, so quick with hands. But exceptions like you describe about having “Spidey Sense” and who can avoid “Bad Situations” are the Lidstroms…and D man that control the game that well, are hard to come by.

Markov is well worth the contract. He is one player I want to remain a Hab. MVP so many seasons. Don’t let his injury cast a doubt on how good he is and will be.

Markov over Wiz any day, if that is what it came down to.

• HardHabits says:

Good reply!

• TheMock780 says:

Agreed. Also, I personally believe that Markov won’t have to play ultra-heavy minutes 5 on 5 anymore with Subban on the team. Yes, I believe Subban is going to be that good and take over as the #1 guy on the backend sooner rather then later because not only is he ultra-talented but he also has the work-ethic and drive to be great.

Markov will no longer have to log the heavy minutes versus the other teams top lines so he will be fresher then before. Also Markov rushed himself back (with the teams blessing) last season. He’s had a longer recovery period this time around

60. HNS says:

Too bad it didn’t rain in Boston today……..or get hit by a tsunami.

61. smiler2729 says:

Taking a break from the Brad Marchand/Boston Bruins BS… we lost the Big Man tonight, Clarence Clemons is gone. For someone who’s grown up with Springsteen’s music, I can’t tell ya how many times after a girlfriend breakup or something like that, the sax solos in “Jungleland”, “Thunder Road”, “Promised Land” and “Trapped” just to name a few, made the world alright again.

Gonna miss ya Big Man, you’re irreplaceable.

And if Gary Carter goes too… man…

“life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone, walk on”

“If the Bruins played the Taliban, I’d root for the Taliban”

• Keith says:

Right on! The “Big Man” was a legend who will be sorely missed. Springsteen and the world lost a great artist.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Springsteen was so huge in the 70′s and 80′s, towered above every other act in terms of songwriting, musicianship, showmanship and integrity.

What surprises me is how little this has carried over to today. I never hear his music unless I put it on myself, never on radio, etc.

People now think that the seventies were all about Boston, Foreigner and Van Halen.

I’m wondering when the revival will come, and another generation discovers this incredible music.

———————————
      “I hate the Bruins more than the Nordiques, who I hate more than the Flyers.”

• Clay says:

“Boston, Foreigner and Van Halen”???
        What about Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, and Deep Purple?

__________________________
        Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.

Winston Churchill

• Un Canadien errant says:

Sure. I guess I’m trying to think of what bands play on satellite radio when you walk into a shopping mall these days, what the yoots hear as representative of the seventies. Don’t hear too much Zeppelin these days. Also, I went to high school in the late seventies, those bands I list there were the up-and-comers, not holdovers from the sixties.

———————————
          “I hate the Bruins more than the Nordiques, who I hate more than the Flyers.”

• smiler2729 says:

I hear Springsteen on regular radio a lot and I hear him on satellite radio even more (he even has his own 24/7 all E Street station)

“If the Bruins played the Taliban, I’d root for the Taliban”

• Clay says:

I’m not sure how you can call the bands I listed “holdovers from the sixties”.
            Black Sabbath – first album release in 1970.
            Led Zeppelin – first album release in 1969.
            Deep Purple – first album release in 1968.

None of those bands became popular until the 1970′s…Purple when Ian Gillan took over from Rod Evans as lead singer in 1970 (although they has success with a cover of ‘Hush’ in 1968, their appeal was mainly limited to the single).
            Sabbath got popular with ‘Paranoid’, again in 1970.
            Zeppelin got really popular in 1971, with the release of Led Zeppelin 4.

__________________________

Winston Churchill

• Rugger says:

Clay, they are 60′s holdovers because “The 60′s” does not line up with the calander. They started November 1963 when Kennedy was shot and ended in August 1974 when Nixon resigned.

• ZepFan2 says:

“Don’t hear too much Zeppelin these days.”

Try CHOM, you’ll hear tons of Zep.

———————————————————————-
            Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

• ZepFan2 says:

You forgot about Pink Floyd, Clay.

NEVER forget Floyd!

:razz:

———————————————————————-
          Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

• G-Man says:

Went to see Springsteen when he came to the Forum in the mid-80s. I kid you not that it was the only concert I almost fell asleep at. All the songs sounded alike, along with Springsteen’s fake performance that never seemed to end.
        Sad to hear about Clemons, though.

62. JayBee says:

I’m of the opinion that if you sign Markov and NOT Wiz or a similar player, our season again rests on the health of Markov and that is just not good. This is why I don’t think we’re contenders…and we won’t be until we stop depending on Markov to take us to the promised land. I think we need depth on D in case Markov gets injured or else it’s just another lost season. Aren’t we tired of this scenario?

Sign Markov AND Wiz….and those of you who want Markov signed and Wiz sent packing…please please please don’t cry if Markov gets injured again. You also can’t use the “We were missing Markov” as an excuse anymore. It’s done.

• Un Canadien errant says:

One thing which I think is underreported is how long an injury such as Markov’s takes to be truly healed. I live in Whistler and every third person has had reconstructive ACL surgery. While you may be back to full range of motion and pain-free after 8 months or so, it takes about another year for the knee to be almost good as new.

I wasn’t surprised last year when his knee gave out again early in the season, I had wondered if he hadn’t rushed back. Once again, here in Whistler doctors always caution patients to ease into their recovery, and that even if the knee feels okay it needs to be slowly strengthened, proprioception needs to be regained… So many people get back on the snow, they get over-confident, they try to do the same runs they did before and hear that dreaded “Pop” again.

I want the Canadiens to re-sign Andrei, he’s a special talent who makes the team so much better, the goalies, his partner, the guys on the second and third pairing not having to eat major minutes, he kills penalties, the PP is better, and the forwards profit from his clever passing, …

Andrei is underestimated by other teams, or at least other teams’fans because he doesn’t have the big shot Souray has, or the crunching body checks of a Phaneuf. I know for a few years I would clean up in my hockey pool by scooping him up later on in the process and then watch him accumulate the points.

In any case, I think we need to temper our expectations about how he’ll perform this season. Even if his knee is fully healed medically-speaking, he is going to need a full season to regain the strength, flexibility and on-ice awareness and balance that elite athletes need. Hopefully the Canadiens do pull a rabbit out of the hat and can resign Wiz, so that with him and PK in the lineup, Andrei can be eased back into the flow, instead of being counted on as a #1 defenceman who’ll eat 25 minutes a game.

———————————
      “I hate the Bruins more than the Nordiques, who I hate more than the Flyers.”

• issie74 says:

Wisniewski had the same injury and has the same chance of being injured,that argument makes no sense.

NorthTOHab

63. naweed235 says:

i don’t now why but i was thinking about this today… I remember that in 2008 or 2009 I went to one of the preseason games at the bell center that was not televised (it was against ottawa and I remember we won by scoring 5 goals)… anyways, during that game I remember Subban dropped the gloves against Chris Neil and gave Neil a hell of a beating… I am surprised we don’t see Subban drop the gloves… Although I am pretty sure that it has something to do with Management telling him not to since he is one of the most valuable players…
    just thought i’d share it

• scrowe21 says:

I’d like to believe this..but PK didn’t look good in any of the fights I have seen.

• ZepFan2 says:

That’s because he was trying to land hay makers and ended up swinging wildly and falling. Maybe he can get some lessons from GSP?

———————————————————————-
        Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

• naweed235 says:

dude I have no reason to lie… I went to that game with 4 other of my buddies and we always talked about it… There is a reason I still remember it… Not only PK fought Neil he beat the S#@t out of him… I really wish there was a video of it somewhere but since it was not televised I doubt that there is…

• 24moreCups says:

I remember him fighting in a preseason game against Ottawa, but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t Chris Neil he fought and I just checked hockey fights to make and it says he fought Zack Smith.

• naweed235 says:

I found the date… it was Sep 26th, 2008 Montreal won 5-0

• naweed235 says:

hmmm strange … you are right… it says Pk faught smith and Henry fought Neil… a mistake maybe?

• HardHabits says:

Too many beers.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Don’t be too hard on yourself Naweed, memory is a tricky thing.

There’s a study that was done which shows that people think some memories are crystal clear and completely reliable, whereas in fact they are faulty. The researcher was looking into how people clearly remember where they were when they heard JFK died, or some other major event. For me, I remember the first time I heard Gilles Villeneuve had crashed and died, when I heard Elvis died, Keiith Moon, John Bonham…

Anyway, the researcher made his university classes write down where they were and what they were doing when the heard the news about the Challenger Space Shuttle. Only five years later or so, he followed up and found that a surprising percentage of his respondents remembered the situation differently than what they had written down the week after the tragedy. Further, even those subjects who were wrong reported their remembrance of that event as crystal clear and infallible. When presented with their own written record, they experienced major cognitive dissonance, disbelief, etc.

So Naweed, I’m sure you remember it very clearly that PK kicked Neil’s ass. Hell, I’ll probably remember it that way five years from now, and swear I was there.

Also, I don’t want PK dropping the gloves, he’s too valuable to waste for five minutes in the box, or to a boxer’s fracture. Even if he can fight, I don’t want him to do it, except in a Vincent Lecavalier-Jarome Iginla situation.

———————————
          “I hate the Bruins more than the Nordiques, who I hate more than the Flyers.”

• Malreg says:

If I remember correctly PK had 4 fighting majors this year.

Do you know how many fighting majors Mike Richards had his rookie year, which supposedly led to him winning the respect of other players? 5.

64. otter649 says:

Clarence Clemons – RIP…

65. Sheldon says:

The Habs need to sign Boris Roberge. He plays for Minsk in the KHL. He is a 7″ left wing who has a sweeter turn-away jumper than Dirk Nowitski. I’ve been told he can beat a kicker who has full view of the puck from 60′ out. This is the guy to lead us to the promised land!!!

(And, he is multilingual.)

66. arrow says:

Congrats to Boston, even though I Hate them, they were the better team! Can’t wait for The G-men (Georges + Gill) to return, really missed Josh last year! I hope Markov proves his worth but really enjoyed the Wiz (hope we can find $$ for him) We definately need a top forward, I like Zach Parise! Gomez will have a better year! Congrats to Plekanec (married man, make her proud!) Congrats to Higgins/Lapierre/Ryder (you did Montreal proud!) Go Habs Go!

PK

People talking about Wisniewski versus Markov should consider one thing. Wisniewski’s surgeries are long behind him. Markov hasn’t yet shown whether he’s recovered or not and hasn’t proven that he’s adequately rehabilitated.

The other factor is this. To me Markov’s injuries, even including the Price skate mishap, reflect poor mental judgement. Player’s that rarely get injured *cough* Gomez *cough* are not necessarily just physically fit but also have a type of spidey sense that guides them away from doing that wrong maneuver. It’s not even about not making that risky play but just knowing how to avoid injury, how to take a hit, roll with the punches, bend not break, how to break a fall like a judo master.

Also, Wisniewski brings a physical edge that, let’s face it, is sorely missing from Markov’s game. The ideal would to sign both of them, but even if so, I am not sold on Markov’s capacity for recovery and whether or not he’s mentally game to avoid another season ending mishap.

Even if Markov is 100% and never get’s injured again it’s not a slam dunk on which player to choose. Wisniewski is younger by 5 years and, as previously stated, is grittier.

Undeniably Markov healthy is one the best defensemen in the NHL if not the world. I am still impressed with Wisniewski and would not be happy to see him go. Markov is also the last player from the pre-Gainey as GM era. Something to consider in view of The Purge™.

How do you define dilemma?

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Little known bit of hearsay:

According to HockeyDraft.ca –>

Andrei Markov was drafted by the Montreal Canadiens in the 6th round, 162nd overall, in the 1998 NHL Entry Draft as a center. He later made the switch to defense in Russia to gain more ice time, according to rumors.

A centre? Can anybody verify this?

• Duracell3 says:

I disagree with your injury analysis, but it would take to long to type out why.

If I remember correctly, he was a forward, but waaaay back, like when he was 15-16, i could be wrong though.

Edit: The 6th round also had some great steals in 98; Markov, Datsyuk, Kapanen , Huskins, Niittymäki, Chris Neil.

• mike3131 says:

According to HockeyDB:

6 162 Mtl. Canadiens Andrei Markov D Khimik Voskresensk (Russia)

And I was thinking that if we don’t sign Markov, maybe Eric Brewer would be another option. 2-way D, offensive upside, good shutdown (as proven in the playoffs) not overly physical, but strong at 6’3, 222. MIGHT be cheaper than Markov. Just a thought.

♪ And we’re livin’ here in Allentown… ♪

• Talik Sanis says:

What you’ve just written condenses many of the reasons (other than your “spidy-sense” point) that I would ideally like Markov signed on a one year deal and the Wiz signed long term with no NTC. Considering that I doubt PG will make any significant acquisitions from the free agent pool, the extra cap space taken up by having both players means very little.

If Markov is re-injured, he’ll be gone after this year. If he preforms up to the ability he had before the injuries, we’ll have both of them and Markov can be re-singed. If we run into cap problems next year as we try to sign Price and Subban, we can let one of Markov/Wisniewski go, likely Wisniewski through a trade. The Wiz is no Spacek or Gomez. Moving him would be like the Flyers moving Carter: a pain, but there would be numerous takers and significant returns.

Signing both may put us in cap trouble next year, forcing us, in all likelihood, to sell low on Wisniewski, but signing only one means we lose an asset for nothing. I’ve had more than enough of that to last a lifetime after 08-09.

Also, I remember hearing before that Markov used to play as a forward in Russia.

• A. Berke says:

everything is fine and dandy in signing both Markov & Wiz (even if PG can scrap up the dough for it), however how can you be so sure that Markov is not aiming for 5-6 years contract and instead will settle for one year?

Yes, ideally most of us would like to have him back at 1 year but IMO he’s going for a lot more than that, after all he needs to be thinking towards retirement in 5-6 years.

And also, I suspect that the difference in the contract term i.e. short term offer by PG and long one wanted by Markov’s agent may be the reason for not having him signed already. As I posted earlier, his signing was the first priority according to PG and yet we have about 10 days left in the month and nothing much on the horizon on that subject.

Cheers,

Ali B.

• Talik Sanis says:

Oh, I know that the actual probability of Markov signing for one year is low. As I said, what I proposed is just an ideal scenario.

I also agree that term length is a major point of contention between both parties at this point.

• Mike D says:

I actually remember an interview with Markov where he talked about being a forward in the past, then switching to Defense. He didn’t say why, and I don’t think he mentioned if he was a Center or a winger, but he did say he was a forward.

I still think Markov > Wiz. They can both produce offense, but Marky’s defensive game is league’s better than Wiz’s (and I’m a huge fan of Wiz). Yes, his injuries are a question mark, but I think he’s worth the risk. Especially since he now has had ample time to recover. He’s just too damn good to walk away from.

- Honestly yours

• habitual says:

I too liked the Wiz, and while some of your comments are good, sorry, but to suggest Marky’s injuries are the result of poor judgement (the mental is redundant) …

Yes it is Saturday night and I’m drinking too, but please: push either the glass or the keyboard away.

• light_n_tasty says:

“Undeniably Markov healthy is one the best defensemen in the NHL if not the world”.

Wisniewski isn’t.

So, the choice ain’t so hard.

• habstrinifan says:

Overriding factor.. who is better defensively. Easy answer Markov. And if Markov returns healthy he will be our top defenseman again.

I am not sure that I would sign WIZ even if I cant sign Markov. First I will go out and see if I can sign someone big and mean and can push people around in the style of Pronger or dare I say it Chara.

I dont consider Chara a great skater nor a great outlet passer nor a great power play specialist. And Boston didnt even because they acquired Kaberle for those reasons. But Chara’s physical dimensions and his edginess (wish Gill had that) is what we need. With someone like that on board and then with Subban/Gorges/Webber/Emelin/Gill… we have an Aplus d-corps. If you can add Markov’s overall game then our defense is WOW.

Nothing in Wiz’s play here makes makes him anything more but a power-play specialist with an offensive bent but many defensive holes. While he may ‘fight’ he is not a consistent threat on the ice to eradicate or bludgeon opposing forwards into the boards with a mean ‘barely legal’ hitting game.

68. mike3131 says:

Boyd Gordon as a possible replacement for Halpern? Bigger, stronger, younger, grittier, RH, good on faceoffs, I was also thinking Jamal Mayers… any thoughts?

♪ And we’re livin’ here in Allentown… ♪

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Don’t know much about Boyd…what’s his deal?

I saw Mayers play a lot in Toronto…I wasn’t impressed (of course he was playing on a truly awful Toronto team…)

• mike3131 says:

Gordon’s offensive game has declined since he racked up 29 pts in 2006-07. But he’s gritty, good faceoff man, good PK guy.

♪ And we’re livin’ here in Allentown… ♪

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Yeah, I remember him having a pretty good stretch a few years back, around the same time that Dustin Boyd did in Calgary.

Is he known as a faceoff/PK guy? Definitely need one of those..and as much as I like Halpern, there’s a lot of miles on that body.

If he was available for $1m…why not?

• mike3131 says:

He’d better be available for less. Again, his offense has declined and his salary was $800,000 this year.

♪ And we’re livin’ here in Allentown… ♪

• ABHabsfan says:

Mayers hasn’t been able to crack the line-up regularly for any team he has played for in the last few years. Pass, IMO. Pascal Dupuis is the guy we want, though he will be triple the cost of Halpern. Therefore,why not just re-sign Halpern?

69. otter649 says:

Those Boston teams of 1970 & 1972 (before 1970/after 1972) which won The Stanley Cup with Hall of Famers Orr & Esposito and company never once beat The Canadiens in the playoffs but Montreal vs The Rangers was another story……..lol

70. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

So, it seems that Vokoun will test the market, which likely means he won’t re-sign in Florida. If that is the case, then it makes it even harder to reach the cap floor, as he would have probably signed for about $5 million per year.

Here’s a link to the story on CKAC:

If this is true, maybe TomNickle’s theory of being able to trade Gomez to Florida is more plausible.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

I think we’re stuck with him until the end of the current CBA (which expires next off-season). I think it’s very likely that both the owners and the players will include some kind of penalty-free buyout window like they did last time.

It’s in neither groups best interests to have players like Redden making $6m in the AHL.

That being said, I’d much rather have him traded for a bag of pucks (low end prospect and a mid-level pick) than buy him out.

• Duracell3 says:

Same, also, as good as Vokoun is, we already have a much cheaper goalie, who when he gets his next deal I think would be unlikely to be asking more (or maybe a small bit more) than what Vokoun will probably get now.

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

Nobody’s saying we should get Vokoun.

• Duracell3 says:

oh, had to re-read that. I still think Gomez will stay here all next year until his pay is so much less than his cap hit. (maybe trade deadline at best).

I also have to think that Hamilton could sell out every game when we are talking about Florida TRYING to reach the cap floor. Bring em’ home Gary~

• Bugs says:

Sooo, rather than get a COUPLA guys as “impactful” as Gomie, they’ll only get ONE to reach for the floor?
      Well, who knows? If they DO call, talk to’em about Spacek too. Then, they should REALLY reach the floor.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Gomez would also save them 5 million in cash during the last two years of the deal because his salary is lower than his cap hit. For a low budget team that is the attraction.

Hey, we’d be doing them a favor, giving them an unde-rpriced former Cup champ, World Cup of Hockey Champ, Olympian.

EXTEND GOMEZ!!!!!

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

If the cap floor is about 43 million, the Panthers will have to spend about 25 million on 10 roster spots. I doubt they will sign 10 players for 2.5 million each, so they will likely have to add at least one majorly overpriced piece, and I don’t see too many free agents wanting to go to a rebuilding team like Florida.

• Mike D says:

From what I can gather, Florida is trying to just scrape by on the cap floor until the current CBA expires, likely in hopes the new CBA will be more helpful to them. That being the case (supposedly), trading Spacek to Florida is much more likely than Gomez going there since he only has one year left on his contract compared to Gomer’s three. They could also greatly benefit from a Dman with Spacek’s experience since they don’t have one of their own to help their youngsters.

But yeah, it would be awesome if we could ship both of them out. My GOD, what we could do with all that cap space!!!!!

- Honestly yours

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I have belief in the same theory, my brother brought it to my attention from an article he read online.

I think it is more plausible after this current season where a Cap Floor team saves $4.75 million in salary expense over two season because the Gomez cap Hit is $14.75 million while his salary is $10 million over those two seasons. That is big money for clubs that are struggling financially.

I am sure there are more players with similar salaries that Cap Floor teams would be interested in, I haven’t looked at any though.

• Mike D says:

If that were to all play out and we could trade Gomer to FLA, who would you get to replace him as a top-6 Center??

If I were PG and facing this situation, I’d make a bid for Richards even though it’s not likely he’ll come here. My second choice would be Jason Arnott. JA on a one or two year deal would be perfect to give Eller time to develop, plus he brings some size and grit.

- Honestly yours

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

Arnott, Laich or Connolly would all be good replacements with more reasonable cap hits than Gomez. I would go for Laich since he adds some size and is a good two-way player. Also, once Eller would be ready for 2nd-line duty, Laich would be an ideal 3rd-line centre.

• issie74 says:

They are so far away from the cap floor.

The only thing that would help them is a contract likes Ilya Kovalchuck and that isin’t going to happen.

NorthTOHab

71. ProHabs says:

What is Guy Carbonneau up to these days. Would love to see him back behind the bench with Muller and Larry Robinson as his assistants and Patrick Roy as the GM. All of those guys would bring such a burning desire for the Habs to be successful that it would be amazing. These guys would do whatever is needed to win the Cup for the Habs.

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

Sure, because the Carbonneau thing really worked out the first time around.

• ProHabs says:

Wasn’t Carbo’s fault. He is one of the best leaders to ever play the game. It was the loser players that he had to work with. Look at most of those players now. THey are useless (Higgins, Komi, Kovalev, AK46), there was not much Carbo could do.

• ZepFan2 says:

And it was Gainey that showed him everything he needed to know.

Just look at who won the first Selke.

———————————————————————-
          Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

I agree that it wasn’t necessarily all Carbo’s fault, but he definitely was lacking experience and made MANY rookie mistakes. Passion and desire are all well and good, but Carbo often said stupid things in the media about players instead of talking to them personally. I’m not sure how good of a tactician he is either.

Bottom line, I don’t see why the Habs would get rid of JM and bring back the guy they brought JM in to replace.

I am definitely not opposed to bringing in Larry Robinson as an assistant though.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I remember a game where Carbo scratched Steve Begin and played Josh Georges on the wing. It must have been hard for players to take him seriously after that even when he did have good ideas.

* Ville Leino would make Sergei Samsonov look like Alex Kovalev *

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

Sean Bonjovi:

Didn’t we have two defensemen dressed as forwards for that game?

Yeah, he made some pretty bizarre decisions. I know some people wish JM was more emotive, but I felt that Carbo flipping out for EVERY penalty call or non-call that didn’t go his way was excessive.

His dealings with the media didn’t help matters either. I’ll never forget how he openly questioned Tanguay when he was injured. The media then went directly to Tanguay with it, and you could see in his face how pissed he was that Carbo didn’t speak to him personally.

His line-juggling was EPIC as well.

• Duracell3 says:

In fairness the first year was as good as I think you could have asked of that group. Second year he was fired, and once Gainey saw what Carbo had been working with…he failed to resign any of them, so I think it’s fair to say it wasn’t much his fault.

That said, I think JM will end up coaching out his whole contract.

• Duracell3 says:

I believe he is just on CBC and RDS every so often. He doesn’t make for a great commentator however, he lacks the non-stop BS that seems to be required.

Apparently he also owns/coaches Chicoutimi now.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Carbo need to suck it up, and prove he can coach somewhere. Isn’t he now doing that with his Jr team? Or am I losing track?

• TheMock780 says:

Carbo is coaching in the QMJHL now I believe. I think he’s the head coach in Chicoutimi or Shawinigan. Not sure which. Either way Carbo was rushed into being a head coach before he was ready and it’s probably good for him to go back to the beginning and work his way back.

And as for Roy, he needs to do what Yzerman and Nieuwendyk did before they could become GM’s and spend a few years as an assistant GM before taking control of a franchise. Spend a few years doing scouting and other dirty work. Other wise he’ll come in raw and be a disaster like Brett Hull was in Dallas