Happy birthday, Uncle George!

The owner of the Canadiens is 70 today.

What do you get for the man who has everything?

Well, Liverpool got George Gillett a Champions League draw.

How about Bob Gainey gets the boss a Top 4 defenceman

(Then there’s this report in The Times of London that says Gillett and co-owner Tom Hicks are ready to sell the English soccer club.)

1. Kristopher7 says:

Great story Klondike!

2. habsfan reduxit says:

… hey, that’s a great story, KHF. I just love unexpected times like those – the ones which prove the inherent goodness of humanity. And to think it happened in connection with our beloved Habs – well that’s simply fabulous. Congrats!

3. The Professor says:

Gorges is good, but he’s not yet a true bona-fide top-4 defenceman YET. He and O’Byrne both have the potential to be and who knows they may well end up there as soon as this season, but I think it’d be good for Bob to go out and get a proven guy who is a UFA at the end of the year so we can assess our group at the end of the season and see where we are.

As for a better top-4, look no further than the Motor City

4. huge_polar_bear says:

Actually I believe it is even more bleak than that…
    Please ask your children to turn away from the monitor for a minute.
    I apologize in advance for the language about to be used but my dear “joeybarrie” you sound like a… a… and it pains me to say this but you sound like a LEAF fan.

I’m sorry it had to be said…

“My mom is more active than Patrice Brisebois”
    Mike Boone (PuckCast Vol 3, No 2)

Damien’
    I remember very well you asking how to get tickets in L.A. and that you were going there from the Yukon. Your picture looks great and thanks for telling us of your meeting with George>

6. Robert L says:

Note to those attending the Summit: I’ve just added 3 new posts on the Summit tab dealing with the day’s agenda, the raffle, and a thank you list from the group.

7. Habs fan in SF says:

oops double posting. where is the “delete” option?

8. Habs fan in SF says:

good to have you here! truly a memorable moment meeting for you meeting Mr. Gillett. I a former montrealer here on the west coast too … but a little more south of you! the habs aren’t coming to san jose this year so i’ve planned a trip to see them in denver in february. let me ask you, are they mostly habs fans up there in the Yukon?!

9. Habs fan in SF says:

10. lefreak says:

use a site like http://www.imageshack.us and post the link :)

11. Klondike Habs Fan says:

I am giving up trying to upload the photo – any tips?

and my typing is getting so bad that I better head to bed.

12. Klondike Habs Fan says:

Hey All… It has been a while since I posted. In honour of UNcle Georges Birthday, I though I would share a story.

AS som eof you may remember, I took my family down to LA from the Yukon last year to take in some sun and a habs game. The game was great, Halak and the boys victorious. We sat like 5 rows behind teh Habs bench and got lots of smiles and waves from players and Carbo too. We mulled about until the very end when teh ushers where well… ushering us out. Baby in arm I headed up the stairs. I nearly bumped inot a fellow on hi scell phone talking as he descneded the stairs.

I paused and apologizxed for the near bump, and realized that the gentleman on the phone was none other than Mr Gillett.

This is why he is so cool: He put his phone down for a moment and asked if I enjoyed the game (though my habs jersey and big smile probably said it all) I told him I sure did and that I came all the way from the Yukon to see it. At that point he got back on the phone and told whoever was on the other end that ” I’ll call you back, this guy is from the Yukon!”

He stayed adn chatted with me and my family for a couple minutes and paused for a photo or two. He wished us well then headed out.

The fact that he stopped and paid a small bit of attention to me was so great, and goes a long way to show why he is such a successful fellow.

Happy Birthday George! From the Yukon

( I have tried to upload the pic of Me and George, but not sure if it worked)

13. G-Man says:

It’s all about scoring chances. The opposition can shoot 70 from the boards; it’s the ones in the slot I worry about.
    Have a great time at the Summit.

Gilbert