Happy birthday, Ken Dryden

Can you believe he’s 63?

Robert L. and Francis Bouchard have put together a tribute.

Steven Hindle assesses Canadiens’ prospects

• Michael Whitehouse has some Carey Price stats

Two assists for LL

Huet to Europe?

Testing rule changes

• Which goalies will be hurt by the new equipment rules?

James Murphy on Milan Lucic. Hey, do we still have to hate Looch now that Komo is a Leaf?

• Down Goes Brown posted this 1992 classic

Boone heads for the beach. Candid video of HIO blogger on vacay:

1. nunacanadien says:

While missing simultaenously our four greatest weaknesses?  BG and PG being the first and second, while Price and Gomez round off our major weaknesses.

2. The Teacher says:

yeah yeah

3. punkster says:

kvetch  (kvch) Slang

intr.v. kvetched, kvetch·ing, kvetch·es
    To complain persistently and whiningly.
    1. A chronic, whining complainer.
    2. A nagging complaint: “a rambling kvetch against the system” (Leonard Ross).

[Yiddish kvetshn, to squeeze, complain, from Middle High German quetzen, quetschen, to squeeze.]

4. nunacanadien says:

Every hockey town has its moments when the sunset eclipses the horizon and the hockeytown forgets when it was a champion, yes, under Bob Gainey’s decade of midget hockey, the Habs have become both an exciting team to watch if you enjoy watching small Habs forwards being crushed to death, or watch a horse in nets let in floaters, or watch an Olympic Caliber Pro Hockey Goalie walk away, or hey, how about the joys of watching Sakku Koivu like some surfer trying to outrun those big NHL defensemen like some big wave crashing on him?  Or wait, that’s BG’s closing epitaph on his grave, Habs GM who believed in the little guys, literally.

5. Robert L says:

Thanks guys. The book is shaping up well, but having the blog doesn’t help it get written quicker.

6. crabvader says:

That’s just the Russian in you that’s making you upset, Ooder, don’t worry about it. :)

7. punkster says:

Ah, folks…right? No, forks. Flaks? OK, now I’m confused.

8. KSS says:

Sounds fun, but unfortunately I won’t be able to make it.  Thanks anyways!

Also, thanks for the welcome, everyone!

9. punkster says:

The only break-out I would expect from AK would involve a walled federal facility and a helicopter piloted by his brother.

10. ooder says:

this youtube clip is kind of pointless on this site

for all you know the guy could be sick and not drunk (like the miner video) which makes it much less funny.

second of all it seems completly irrelevant

88 is the new 23

11. K-hab25 says:

The teams that rely on a tandem in net, generally do it because they don’t have a true #1, not because it is the best option. Don’t get me wrong I’m all for having 2 good goalies, just in case of injury, plus there’s other 20 to 30 starts, but I hate the win and you’re in system. It doesn’t work. It didn’t work out for Huet or Price and didn’t benefit Halak or Price. All 3 had there best stretches when they were given the heavy workload, win or lose, not always wondering whether or not they would be playing the next game or not. I liked Carbs and Martin seems ok, but that win and you’re in idea blows. Goalies don’t get in a flow and the rest of the team is affected by it aswell. All the talk of tandems is far from true, the majority of teams have 1 guy they expect to get 50 to 60 starts.Out of 30 teams, there were 20 goalies with 50 appearances last season and it would’ve been more, but some got injured, like Cam Ward, or took the job during the year like Tukka Rask. Most teams have a #1 and the ten or so teams that don’t, use a tandem.

12. COPOKA HA KOPOBE says:

The point of this topic was to show how stupid Russians are being drunk.

Very classless et avec un gout raciale,  Mr.Boone.

13. HabFab says:

Happy Birthday Harani!

14. Clay4bc says:
    Pronunciation: \ˈkän-ˌtekst\
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English, weaving together of words, from Latin contextus connection of words, coherence, from contexere to weave together, from com- + texere to weave — more at technical
    Date: circa 1568

1 : the parts of a discourse that surround a word or passage and can throw light on its meaning
    2 : the interrelated conditions in which something exists or occurs : environment, setting <the historical context of the war>

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.

— George Orwell —

15. K-hab25 says:

I don’t blame you, by the way congrats on the success of your site and on writing a book.

16. K-hab25 says:

That #1 difference maker played about half the games and you’re right, you’ll never convince me he was as important as you claim. He was important to the teams success, but his legend is bigger, than what his impact really was. He gave up .37 less goals per game than Price, or 1 goal every 3 starts. On the other hand he got .60 more in goal support, or 1 goal every 2 starts. In other words if the team gives Price the same support, they gave Halak this season and Price improves even a little, then we’ll be fine in net. As far as King Boucher goes, he’s less proven than Eller is, atleast he’s been involved in 7 NHL games. We’ll see if he’s Subban or Locke. Right now we don’t know and I for one am tired of the crowd that constantly harps on Eller or Price as being unproven or just potential, but then whine about losing an AHL coach, that at this point, is unproven or just potential.

17. HabFab says:

Had some problems with my keyboard there, was trying to type “Fink” but it just refused to work…dah!!

18. HabFab says:

So your that shadow?

How are your history stories going? Been awhile since have seen any new.

Also read that you are writing a book, good for you bro! Always said that you should.

19. HabFab says:

All of this complaining about Steve Yzerman raiding the Canadiens for his management team, I find highly amusing. It would be standard for Detroit to put in their agreement ,that he couldn’t raid their organization for a certain time period, to let him go to the Lightening. So he goes after what he would consider the second best organization out there, one that was built  coping the successful Detroit model by WHOM!! Yeah, the same gentlemen that most of those complaining about the raiding, also blame for all our problems. Bunch of DUMB F_ _k’s.

20. ooder says:

He’s gonna be a good one!”

what tipped you off Zeppy 😉

88 is the new 23

21. Robert L says:

I’m around enough, but I prefer to lurk.

22. SmartDog says:

My advice to you: stay away from Las Vegas.  AK46, Pouliot AND Laps are going to have break-out seasons?  If one of these guys does it’ll be a pleasant surprise, two, a minor miracle.

We’re ‘strapped with the cap’ IMHO for the same reasons why we’ve made some questionable moves… desperate, and less than imaginative management.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

23. HabFab says:

Steve Hindles articles on the Canadien prospects are highly informative and well written  however believe on the Canadiens defensive prospects, he is off in regards to Joe Stejskal. He still has another year of NCAA and is not written off by the Habs…believe SH may have confused with David Fischer.

24. punkster says:

Dunk? I thought he was drunk.

My bad.

25. punkster says:

Honestly K-man my post isn’t really great, just reactionary as Rob suggests. He’s right about a number of things but some of them I just don’t worry about. The loss of minor league coaching no matter how much potential is just that, potential. Unrealized at the NHL level and not something that should even concern the Habs for now. They have much bigger concerns. Like depending on a single goalie, not a tandem like many teams have and like we had last season.

It’s just that I don’t see things through dark glasses. I wear rose-coloured glasses and I fully embrace the wonderful colours of the world I view. Where some see a goaltending problem I see a goaltending opportunity, one which an aspiring young kid could use to springboard his career. This is exactly what a so-called superstar needs to prove himself and if Price is anything like the kid that management hopes, prays and believes he is then this is his moment.

Do I believe in Price? Please, I’m also a realist. These rose-coloured glasses also have prescrition graduated bifocal lenses. If I take the damn things off I’m blind as a bat.

26. K-hab25 says:

You don’t come around as often and probably haven’t had the joy of reading adams “deep” posts, so let me explain. Anything positive relating to Carey Price, is considered to be from a “fanboy”and there for Price video tributes are for the “fanboy’s.”

27. habsfansince91 says:

do you honestly have a complaint for everything?

28. habsfansince91 says:

29. TornApart says:

What’s the matter? It’s not like someone forced you to watch the video.

30. likehoy says:

this is just for you, everyone has “talent” in their pipelines…we’ve always had talent coming forward from ribeiro to AK46 to pacioretty…in the last 10 years…

i’ll believe it when i see it.

31. SeriousFan09 says:

You’re giving a lecture on class? I’d attend but I’m late for a seminar on etiquette with Matt Cooke.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

32. habs fan from stonyplain says:

This is to mr smart dog and all the hab fans we have lots and lots of talent coming with leblanc, kristo, dumont, avistin, tinoirdi, amoung others then when we are back beating up on the bruins what are you going to complain about. The reason we have not done much is we are strapped with the cap. AK46, Pouliot, and laps will have break out years, and if they don’t then we don’t have to worry about it since they are on one year deals.

33. Robert L says:

Fan boy tribute videos?

34. adam76 says:

Dunk Russian on the beach?  I know its the summer – but what socially challenged 14 year old is running this site?  A “hilarious” you tube clip from Feb of 2009 that has nothing to do with anything remotely sport?  The fan boy tribute videos are one thing, this is just an embarrassment.

Come on – your are affiliated with The gazette – show a little class and try to keep on topic.

35. punkster says:

Of course it’s reactionary. Newton’s Laws of Motion and all that. For every action…etc. And I know you’re far from the only one worried about the changes, or lack thereof, made so far. My objective is simply to provide the other view and by no means do I believe it’s the only other view. This place has as many views as commentors LOL. So is Auld likely to save us? Well, how likely was Halak when we looked at this a year ago?

36. Clay4bc says:

LOL…you had to go and spoil it for Harani!

Aren’t you supposed to be on vacation? Enjoy the beach…

— George Orwell —

37. SmartDog says:

Boyd and Auld don’t make the ‘important gain’ list any more than Moore or Metro are important losses, so let’s ignore those.

The important things we lost:

1. The teams’ #1 difference maker AHEAD of Markov, and anyone else you could name.

2. Boucher and other developing leadership – to me this is a huge loss, bigger than Halak.  You can disagree and probably will, it’s my opinion and only time will tell, but that’s my view.

The important things we gained:

1. Eller. Potential here but wait and see.

2. PK… but we already had PK and the cup run probably wouldn’t have
    gone so far without him, so he’s a chicken we already counted.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

38. ZepFan2 says:

From one Leo to another, Happy Birthday Mr. Dryden.

Just saw PK on the news giving some lucky guy a new car and a Subban t-shirt. He even spoke some French.

He’s gonna be a good one!

– Steven Tyler

39. K-hab25 says:

He got traded to the NYI’s the offseason before the move from Quebec to Colorado.

40. K-hab25 says:

observer is Tony 242 Boone.

41. likehoy says:

I honestly think the bruins are just spinning their wheels…trading kessel got them seguin, but they wouldn’t have needed 4.5million$ horton, which cost them a top 4 dman + 1st. If you do the math, kessel + wideman + 1st for Seguin + horton + 1st. It really comes down to what the bruins do with their 2nd 1st round pick from the laffs to know if they’ve really scored a “coupe”

Dennis Seidennerg is their #2 dman beside Chara, and Chara’s in a contract year (win now?). The bruins are thin on the blueline and I don’t know if they hae any prospects coming through

to make things worse, the bruins are 2.5 million over the salary cap as of today accoridng to NHLnumbers.com

I hardly think the Bruins have really done anything special this summer with 6 UFAs coming up (ryder, bergeron, sturm, recchi, chara, stuart) which could turn in their favor, or it could not, if they lose chara.

42. K-hab25 says:

Additions – Eller, Boyd, PK and Auld ****** Subtractions – Moore, Metrpolit, Bergeron and Halak ******* I really don’t see how we did poorly. Is it your view that Auld is going to get the 43 starts Halak got? I mean he’s here to back up Price and hopefully get 20 starts, tops. The guy was pretty good a couple of seasons ago. Moore was only hear for 2 months, (and the playoffs) I can see Eller giving more to the team in a full season, than Moore did in 2 months. Metrpolit is a great human being and a decent hockey player, but ideally you want your checking line center to be bigger and more physical. I really like the thought of Boyd centering Moen and White. That way Pyatt can play with Laps and Eller. I don’t think I have to convince you that PK is an upgrade over Bergeron. All in all, on an every game basis I think we’re better than last year, especially the beginning of last year. When Dags, Lats and Pacs were playing reguarly, Markov was out injured and Price was getting most of his starts those first 3 months. Give them a chance Smart Dog, you may end up loving the moves, if not, atleast you’ll have a reason to act like someone stole your favorite bone.

43. secretdragonfly says:

Enjoy the lobster rolls and the smell of saltwater, Mr. Boone, while the Commentariat lives vicariously through this fine site in your much-lamented absence.

44. Mike Boone says:

There’s a difference between contrary and contrarian. The late, ungreat Tony was a pain in our collective ass who contributed nothing but negativity to the site. No one misses him.

45. Mike Boone says:

And Pierre McGuire

46. observer says:

You’re right – there are a bunch who have nothing else in their lives but to dwell on this blog and they go completely beserk if anyone posts any thoughts contrary to “their always correct” views. Seems there was a guy in the past named Tony who used to post those “contrary views” on this blog who they can’t get out of their minds. I have noticed in the last week or so that I’ve looked at this site that they have called at least 8 different posters – “Tony” – about everytime they see a post that disturbs their small minds.

47. observer says:

A lot of Francophones now live in Florida.