Happy birthday, Ken Dryden

Can you believe he’s 63?

Robert L. and Francis Bouchard have put together a tribute.

Steven Hindle assesses Canadiens’ prospects

• Michael Whitehouse has some Carey Price stats

Two assists for LL

Huet to Europe?

Testing rule changes

• Which goalies will be hurt by the new equipment rules?

James Murphy on Milan Lucic. Hey, do we still have to hate Looch now that Komo is a Leaf?

• Down Goes Brown posted this 1992 classic

Boone heads for the beach. Candid video of HIO blogger on vacay:

P7fmJBv4OCs

1. SmartDog says:

That’s a really ‘reactionary’ post for someone accusing me of being reactonairy.  I didn’t say the team sucks or that we’re in for a lousy year.  I said we had a moderate to sucky offseason becuase not much happend that was good and a couple of bad things happened.   And I stand by that. And I’m far from the only one worried that there is MORE pressure on a young goalie who so far has not been nearly as solid under NHL pressure as he was in the minors.  It’s a natural concern.  Hopefully the kid does great and if he does I would guess we’ll have a good season.  If he doesn’t…. Alex Auld isn’t likely to save us.  Please tell me you disagree and that I am entirely wrong.  I dare ya!  😉

——–
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

2. K-hab25 says:

Great Post Punkster!! We lose one guy and now we have no chance. Oh I forgot, we lost our AHL coach and 3rd and 4th line centers. I can’t see why so many are worried. Is it just Price? If so, they can not believe in him all they like, but the last time he had the job to himself, not a split system, he led us to the best record in the east. Out of the19 games after the Huet trade, Price got 15 starts,12-3 and Halak got 4, 2-1-1. Over the last 2 years Price has gotten 88 starts, 36-36-15 and Halak has gotten 76 starts, 34-27-6, in a split system. Wow, 88 to 76 and he wasn’t treated fairly or equally. As for the bottom 6 centers, give me the 2 younger, hungrier guys, with upside. As far as the AHL coach is concerned, show me the money. Until he wins consistently in the NHL, then he’s no more proven than Corey Locke.

3. SmartDog says:

That’s me! Thanks.

The pastries are gonna be stale tomorrow though, sorry.  :(

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

4. SmartDog says:

…and Dustin Hoffman (if it matters).

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

5. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Happy birthday Harani!!! Have a terrific one!

6. Habs4Lyfe says:

Habs 4 Lyfe

Happy Birthday Ken Dryden.  Those were magical times with him in the nets.

Go Habs Go

7. Harani says:

I didn’t know I was born on the same day as Dryden! Good company to have. Roger Federer, Ken Dryden, Harani! LOL!

“I gotta feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

Fan Summit Updates–Including people with their own Tickets, We have 86
    HIO members going to Montreal This year so far.

Important!

Lewis, Sherrie & Tim, Mark Ordonselli, Fred Sherrington, Sulemaan
    Ahmed,

I have assurance from the following people
    that money orders are on the way, so I will pay for them from my pocket
    if they do not arrive in tomorrows mail. As long as I know how many you
    want and which price of seats is now in the mail. E-mail me with all
    the information right away so you do not miss out.

Andrew Burkshire, Rob Swick, Kevin Van Steendelaar, Sarha McCarter,

And
    (TEACHER) send your full name that is on the money order, address, and
    how many tickets you ordered that is already in the mail, if you want
    me to cover you untill it arrives here.????

SEND the tracking numbers and all the information that I need.

Some of you are not making this fun.!!

Two $160 tickets RIGHT!

10. showey47 says:

The following is a list of players of note who played their first NHL game in 1951-52 (listed with their first team, asterisk(*) marks debut in playoffs):

11. HabFanSince72 says:

Like Muller. Pearn. Timmins. Cunneyworh.

How many Francophones are there in the organization in fact? Two coaches. A few in management. A player or two.

It’ll always be too many for some of you.

12. HabFanSince72 says:

Habs I/O’s off-season has also been less than dynamic.

Franchise whiner Tony242 was let go.

We still talk about Halak/Price.

13. madcap_habsfan says:

of course we still have to hate looch..komi may be a leaf now but lucic is still a bruin! sorry, i have an intense rivalry with bruins fans…well one in particular ( aka my father) lol

14. showey47 says:

Your right boom boom only played 18 games the year before maintaining his rookie status for 1951. Which he did win the calder that year.

15. punkster says:

Rob, you asked for this rant:

Talk about a glass half full, yours has nothing but a dribble of brew left in it I see. It’s only August and the last time I checked the season doesn’t officially start until October and runs clear through April. If one player’s comment in an off season interview triggers this type of
    reaction in people then this place is going to be hell come October and we post a couple of losses. And we will lose some games, make no mistake, we will lose some.

It reminds me of the doom and gloom predicted during the Summer of the Long Knives last year. We lost a ton of top players that so many people lamented over. We brought in a ton of players that so many people crapped on (and continue to do so). When it was all said and done we a) made the playoffs, b) won 2 rounds by defeating the top two teams in the east (well, 2 of the top 3) and c) were defeated by a team who also squeaked into the playoffs just like we did.

Was last season all because of one player? Did only one single player win enough games to reach the playoffs and win enough playoff games to advance to the thrid round? Did one single player make every save, score every goal, make up every line combination, send out every player for every shift?

Does next season depend entirely upon one single player? Can any team in the league actually say they depend on one single player on that team for a successful season?

It’s August. Pop a cold beer, fill your glass and try to enjoy the weather. St Sauveur gets a ton of snow come November and I’ll be looking forward to skiing with you then so don’t make it more difficult 😉

FREE TIMO!

16. blu3chip says:

How dare you state the weakness of the players we didnt get or let go?!

17. blu3chip says:

I see, already stacking up the pressure for Price eh? You know, just in case he can somehow handle it and has a great solid season, let’s make sure we crank up the pressure and make sure he cracks.

18. SeriousFan09 says:

Imagine if the Habs had a 36-year old goalie signed for 3 more years at 5 million per year based on one good season, would we call this a genius management group? Remember when Bob Gainey was an idiot for letting Michael Ryder go, who now the Bruins are trying to rid themselves of? Horton is enigmatic, Bergeron and Savard are probably each one
    concussion away from starting a Lindros-type decline in their abilities.
    Tim Thomas is a boat anchor contract and Rask helped oversee the epic
    3-0 collapse against PHI. The entire team was humiliated and took a
    gigantic blow to their morale on that collapse as well and Julien will
    have to watch his back if the Bruins don’t start strong this season. Marco Sturm could miss the entire 10-11 season as well, if not retire
    with the devastating MCL/ACL tears he suffered in the post-season.

Lucic is a goon who got lucky enough to be on a contract year when the entire Boston roster was over-achieving.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

19. punkster says:

Actually I think ’51 was Boob-Boom’s rookie year, and Delvecchio on the Wings. Having trouble with the other rookies though.

FREE TIMO!

20. ooder says:

until the Bruins do something to make people forget about that embarrassing meltdown things are not going to be good in Beentown.

the second there is a struggle during the season i can just imagine all the finger poitning and nervousnes in the locker room.

i am sure Claude isn’t feeling to merry right about now

——————

88 is the new 23

21. ooder says:

congrats..

your complimentary HIO stress ball is on it’s way

——————

88 is the new 23

22. SmartDog says:

Just read the Lucic article.  He’s talking about playing with Horton and Seguin.  As he said “it’s been a pretty good offseason” for the Bruins.

Makes me look at the Habs and say…it’s been a pretty mediocre-to-lousy offseason.

PK is obviously the ‘big’ addition… and Eller might make a ripple.  But we also lost our biggest single difference-maker in Halak, our ‘franchise’ goalie who came off a year with a terrible record is having trouble signing his contract, we lost some good management pieces from our pipeline to a probably resurgent Tampa Bay team, our small guys didn’t get bigger, and our old guys got a year older.

So overall, a pretty sucky offseason.  So much is riding on Price to make this year a good one. Too much. Way too much.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

Teach – I’m pretty sure that Clark never played for Colorado or ever won a Cup.

He owns a bar and does promo work for the laffs and Clublink (golf).  I believe he still lives in York Region which is just north of Toronto.

24. SmartDog says:

Thanks for doing all this Ian.  I know what a pain in the ass these things are!

Much appreciated.

Rob

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

25. madcap_habsfan says:

welcome to the crazy land of habs inside out :)

26. SmartDog says:

The more the merrier.  Welcome.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

27. HabsFanInTampa says:

If Yzerman doesn’t stop hiring (purging) from the Habs organization, there won’t be any more Francophones and the Canadiens Brass will be forced to hire non-francophones. OMG the humanity!!!

28. showey47 says:

I already looked,other then moore you are much better off taking some of the guys that the habs drafted in the first round in the mid to late 90’s.

29. showey47 says:

Yup,if i had a dollar for every time i heard “the habs organization needs to to scrapped from top to bottom” i could pay for the entire summit weekend for everybody myself. Yet yzerman has no problem with taking parts of it and is looking like a genious.

30. punkster says:

Ha, good one. I’m going back to the web to see if I can find out who were rookies in ’51. The team I picked were not.

FREE TIMO!

31. punkster says:

Hook, line and sinker man. You gotta lighten up. We have.

FREE TIMO!

32. A. Berke says:

“I can promise my comments won’t cause any controversy”

KSS, You must be a very optimistic person, some people here just live to argue & to create controversies even though they may not know what they’re talking about.

Welcome to HIO.

Ali B.

33. ooder says:

now is the goalie part of that 2 or are the nets empty?

cuz then we have a huge (no pun intended) advantage with Hall Gill lying down in the net

——————

88 is the new 23

34. SeriousFan09 says:

But it makes sense, so look forward to some 2-on-2 hockey instead…

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

(Teacher) e-mail me

36. ooder says:

from the rule changes the only one that is useful is the no touch icing.

——————

88 is the new 23

Kristen–Do you want to join us for the Summit in Montreal Nov. 5,6. Last day!

38. Chuck says:

Regarding the proposed rule changes, I wouldn’t mind seeing no-touch icing or a goal-verification line painted in the net, but 2-on-2 hockey is ridiculous.

Fan Summit Updates–Including people with their own Tickets, We have 76 HIO members going to Montreal This year so far.

Important!

Lewis, Sherrie & Tim, Mark Ordonselli, Fred Sherrington, Sulemaan
    Ahmed,

I have assurance from the following people
    that money orders are on the way, so I will pay for them from my pocket
    if they do not arrive in tomorrows mail. As long as I know how many you
    want and which price of seats is now in the mail. E-mail me with all
    the information right away so you do not miss out.

Andrew Burkshire, Rob Swick, Kevin Van Steendelaar, Sarha McCarter,

And
    (TEACHER) send your full name that is on the money order, address, and
    how many tickets you ordered that is already in the mail, if you want
    me to cover you untill it arrives here.????

SEND the tracking numbers and all the information that I need.

Some of you are not making this fun.!!

40. ProHabs says:

He got overhyped because George Laroque let it happen. GL let Lucic run right over the Habs and a legend (in the Bruins mind) was born.

41. KSS says:

Hey guys,

Longtime reader, first-time poster.  Just wanted to say that I’ve been enjoying reading this site over the last couple of years but I look forward to giving my two cents.  I can promise my comments won’t cause any controversy, so no worries there.

Merci!

42. HOGGIE says:

i don’t really think he’s overated hes does what he does very well, that is create space and scare the crap out of the other team something we could really use here in Montreal . Don’t get me wrong he’s not a superstar with an amazing scoring touch, but beleive me guys watch out for him when he’s on the ice as much as they do one of the big scorers in the league.

43. otter649 says:

He tried getting The Wings caplogist sp (whatever his name was) and was turned down & then hired The Habs Julien Brisbois instead………..

44. otter649 says:

Missing – “Me like Hockey”  by The Arrogant Worms………

45. Bugs says:

No apology is going to ERASE that most opprobrious portrait. It’s still going to EXIST; my contempt for it will not DIMINISH.

That picture is offensive, ludicrously pretentious, and more than a little yucky.

Ptui! Shame!

Crackin but not slackin, the card says

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Data Factory: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

46. Mark C says:

At this point I’m willing to bet the mortgage that Holland made some sweetheart, backdoor deal with him not to take anyone from the Wings. Jerry Maguire got more people to follow him out the door than Stevie Y has.

Funny how many here, laud Detroit’s management and loath Montreal’s, yet Stevie Y raided Montreal’s and left Detroit’s intact. What’s going on here?

47. ProHabs says:

I think Clark owes you an apology. NOW.

48. The Teacher says:

Well, we can’t have that!

Carry on..

49. Mark C says:

Where’s Warren Zevon’s Hit Somebody? What an outrage!

50. Bugs says:

I’m quite positive he didn’t have the leaf jersey on whether or not he won it elsewhere.

That picture is an insult to hockey, and worse, to ME.

Crackin but not slackin, the card says

51. Psycho29 says:

He hasn’t been the same since Komisarek head butted his fist 20 times a few years ago….

52. The Teacher says:

Didn’t he win it with Colorado? Or am I mistaken?

53. TomNickle says:

At this point Yzerman should feel guilty enough that he throws us a high round pick for Roman Hamrlik.

I think he’s taken enough members of our organization at this point.

Some favours are owed.

54. Habsforlife 1959 says:

You consider Price as a SIEVE. Man you are pathetic. I betcha that 29 other NHL teams would take Carey Price in a heartbeat. Think it would not happen? Are you willing to let Price go at no cost?

55. showey47 says:

Makes me almost wish the redwings had been able to pull off the trade they were trying to do back in 1983. They tried desperately to move up one spot in the draft to take pat lafontaine but instead had to stand pat and take yzerman. If that trade was made,yzerman ends up an islander. Makes you wonder what kind of a career he would have had. As a player and if he even would have become a g.m..

56. nightmare_49 says:

from Jamie’s blog:

The All Time 10 Besy Hockey Songs:

57. Favorite Son says:

Will someone in the Habs organization please tell Yzerman to go f*** himself?! Damn, enough already!

58. nightmare_49 says:

Sunday Hockey Notes (tidbits):

There’s no real reason to be doubting Thomas

toronto will be a busy place this month, as Canada’s largest city will host two wonk-centered events: the NHL Research, Development, and Orientation Camp from Aug. 18-19, then the World Hockey Summit from Aug. 23-26.
  59. ProHabs says:

No kidding. Can’t Stevie find some people from other organizations and leave the Habs alone. Why doesn’t he go and raid his old team the Red Wings.

60. Mark C says:

Does Stevie Y have a Montreal fetish or does he consider Montreal to be his arch rival? I think we’ve crossed the line in the sand here, this is becoming more than just “hiring the best people for the job.”

61. SeriousFan09 says:

I’m more of the thought that would this guy just kindly **** off of hiring people who are coaching our prospects? This guy is supposed to be coaching Louis Leblanc for us in the Q this season.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

62. G BO says:

I agree. I couldnt believe he was in consideration for team canada. Then again bergeron ended up being just as useless. Hes still famous from ruining komo the homo and hasnt shown that ferocity since. No one from Boston should have even been at that camp. Should have invited cam to play with crosby and iginla. Not Berger-shit.

63. Mark C says:

He is over-rated. He’s got that great package of skill (enough), size, and toughness. Yet, while even playing with good-to-great line mates he’s failed to score double digit goals in all but one of his three seasons (not totally fair, as he’s missed games every year; is he injury prone?), and has had more than 30 points in only one season.

All that said, like you, I’d take him on Montreal in a heartbeat. But, he’s very much over-rated, I mean inviting him to the Olympic camp, was that list announced on April 1st? My real knock on him is that it seems he really picks his fights; rarely does he fight anyone in his class, never mind above it.

64. Mark C says:

Stevie Y strikes again?

Pascal Vincent rumored to coach Norfolk in the AHL. Here come the “Montreal management misses the boat yet again crew.”

65. habs-hampton says:

Is it just me, or anyone else feel that Lucic is one of the most over-rated (and over-hyped)  players in the league? Don’t get me wrong, he’s good at what he does, but I don’t for one minute think he’s as good as the media wants him to be. Every team wnats a guy like that, but he’s not going to win the cup for you, and I thought it was a joke when he was invited to the camp for Olypmpic hopefuls.

66. Bryan says:

22nd birthday you say…

_______________________________

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

67. showey47 says:

Your 1951 birth year all-star team is a fraud because they didn’t sign confirmation notes that year :) The good news is,you do have dickie moore though.

68. Rugger says:

Happy Birthday Mr. Dryden (also my daughter’s 22nd birthday)

69. punkster says:

Damn, that was to easy.

Get to a summit some day and I’ll buy you a beer.

FREE TIMO!

70. Clay4bc says:

LOL, just kidding about Price…

So what did I win for guessing the correct time, Dave?

__________________________

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.

— George Orwell —

71. Propwash says:

Lol Punkster, yer really trying to stir the pot eh? Im on the wait and see part in that discussion.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

72. Clay4bc says:

Price is a sieve – look at his win/loss record of 13-20-5

__________________________

— George Orwell —

73. Clay4bc says:

11:16

__________________________

— George Orwell —

74. punkster says:

Just for fun, at what time today will the first post appear that utilizes the Carey Price stats to a) prove that Price is a sieve, or, b) prove that Price is God’s Gift to Goaltending?

Before noon for sure.

FREE TIMO!

75. Bugs says:

How did they convince Wendel Clark to pose while hoistin the Cup? Isn’t there some unspoken rule among players that you don’t touch what you haven’t won? ESPECIALLY the Stanley Cup???

Look at him! Hoistin it. Proud leafer. Big smile. “Yeah, we’re winners, man. leafs are champs.” Pff. How did they convince him?

Shame on you, Wendel. Never saw that picture; always thought you were alright. Now I think you’re scum, just like the rest of your kind. You make me sick; shame on you.

(snort) leafers. Aren’t they all alike after all.

Crackin but not slackin, the card says

76. nightmare_49 says:

The way Steve Simmons sees it.

– Player agent Bill Zito says there is strong interest in sudden free-agent goalie, Antti Niemi. But what is he supposed to say? That he and Niemi misread the market and the Chicago Blackhawks by winning at arbitration and losing the best goalie gig in hockey?

– Something the players need to fix in their next collective bargaining: The timing of arbitration hearings. When you schedule arbitration more than a month after free agency begins, it makes it too convenient for teams to walk away from the awards they aren’t happy with. Then, when a team says no, a player is left with fewer options because most of the budget money for teams has already been spent.

– The strange off-season of the San Jose Sharks continues: First, signing Antero Niittymaki to play goal. Then, signing Jamal Mayers to play whatever it is he plays. Like any of this takes them closer to that elusive Stanley Cup.

from article: http://www.torontosun.com/sports/columnists/steve_simmons/2010/08/07/14956491.html

Here’s the link for the Dryden story.

Also be sure to read the right hand sidebar as Mike Boone’s bids us adieu.  He certainly deserves a break from the action so he can recharge his batteries.

78. observer says:

Great link.

79. nightmare_49 says:

from Larry Brooks – Slap Shots

no Rangers’ Plan for Better Redden?

What if John Tortorella is no more impressed by Matt Gilroy’s work in his own end than he was last year, when the coach sat the rookie the final eight games of the year in favor of Anders Eriksson?

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/rangers/no_rangers_plan_for_better_redden_AAYW0XtKLjxTqn3HC5YOEK#ixzz0w15UKpyF

80. observer says:

Dryden 63 already? World War 2 ended 65 years ago, Canada’s 100th birthday and Leafs last won a Cup 43 years ago, etc. – time passes like a blink of an eye.

81. Caper says:

Scary isn’t it. That’s why you have to enjoy every minute when you realize this.

82. halakitlikethat says:

I posted this last night the Canadian Juniors squad game, but for thoe who didn’t see it:

Just got back from the Red vs White game here at Mile One in St. John’s. Of course I had my eye on Louis Leblanc the entire night, here’s what I noticed:

– Very smooth skater, can generate speed very quickly out of the zone.

For a centerman he didn’t carry the puck a whole lot, saw him coasting
    around in the offensive zone waiting for a pass or looking for open ice.

– Great vision when he did have the puck, got two assists with absolute beauty cross-ice passes in front of the net.

– Seemed generally disinterested in being on the ice and showed little, if any, emotion.

Did a lot of circling around, waiting for plays to develop where
    players like Schenn and Kassian were trying to make things happen.

Tyler Seguin:

I wasn’t impressed at all.
    He was shifty in the neutral zone but couldn’t make anything happen
    inside the offensive zone. Maybe he was tired after a long camp, but he
    certainly didn’t stand out to me or my buddies who attending the game.
    Had a few shots on goal which sailed high over the net.

83. HabFanSince72 says:

Do we hope Tyler Seguin is a bust so that the Bruins continue to suck? Or that he becomes a great success so Leaf fans eat their heart out for the next 15 years?

I’ll go for: bust early on,  trade to a Western conference team where he turns into Joe Sakic.

84. olematelot says:

Wasn’t Sean Couturier the centre on that line. If so that would explain why Leblanc didn’t carry the puck as much as a centre should.

Where is the Robert L. tribute ?

86. Psycho29 says:

That video should have been called….

HI/O management: How I spent my summer vacation.

87. Danno says:

Happy Birthday Ken.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

88. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

Tough year? His team has been eliminated in the first round 5 of their last 6 playoff appearences, he’s already had a few tough years! He’s been done for a while.

89. DAVE. N says:

IMO You can add Marty Brodeur to the ‘tenders affected most by equipment modification. I suspect along with the Devils’ not having the same defence orientation, coupled with age and te new restrictions, Marty may have a tough year.

Dave–Like all good tenders, they age and the team in front means everything. And we have 2 players of what was their top line playing for us now. Jersey is a good club, but not as good as we are now.

91. SeriousFan09 says:

Brodeur isn’t going to be held back by his equipment, it’s called coming up on 39 years old and not showing he’s got the stamina to be a starter since the lockout ended.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

92. HabFanSince72 says:

Most over-rated hockey player of his generation.

93. TomNickle says:

Eric Lindros?

Paul Kariya?

Keith Tkachuk?

94. observer says:

If he is a bust, then you have to admit that Burke is a genius.

95. SeriousFan09 says:

Not at all, it means the Bruins chose poorly in the draft if he busts by himself or if they make him a bust than they are at fault.

I would say Seguin’s disinterest in the camp is likely more to do with that he figures he’s a Bruin to start the 10-11 season.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

96. soperman says:

Happy Birthday Ken.  You were a great goalie and are still a classy guy.  Jean Beliveau classy.

Go Price. Or should I say Stop Price?