Happy anniversary, Jean

It’s 40 years ago tonight that the legendary Jean Béliveau scored his 500th career goal for the Canadiens.

Enjoy this video and watch how Le Gros Bill celebrates his milestone marker. It comes at about 45 seconds of the clip, on his third goal of the night, and is greeted by Béliveau with the same understated class that has been the hallmark of his life.

A terrific tribute to Béliveau’s 500th is here at Eyes on the Prize. And link here to a fine read on the goal by the late Ted Blackman, published in The Gazette the next morning.

uNdXZeBAg9c

1. habsfan0 says:

Yes. Notice I said “regularly”.

2. dpthehabsfan says:

The classiest act ever to wear skates in the NHL…

3. Psycho29 says:

I remember watching that game (OK I was VERY young) vs Minnesota, I believe it was a Wednesday night and the game was on CFCF-12 then…

4. Wayne says:

My brother and me (and Pop) were at that very game. I was nine and sadly, don’t remember much of that game except for the milestone and he crowd roar.

5. G-Man says:

Bang on. IT was a Wednesday night game.

6. Bill H says:

Yes, he is full of class.  But that was a different era.  These days, fans like a little more excitement and so the players are encouraged to give it.  Its just the way it is now.

7. Blarneylad says:

Thanks for posting the great video!

Too bad the habs haven’t had a great like Beliveau in years.

8. G-Man says:

There are no words for le gros Bill that do him justice as a player and a person.
    To think a few short months after his 500th goal, he hoisted the cup for the 10th and last time.

9. habsfan0 says:

Seeing Ted Harris, the captain of the North Stars in this video reminds me that he was the last player on the Habs who regularly wore number 10 prior to Guy Lafleur.

10. G-Man says:

The last player to wear #10 before Lafleur was none other than Frank Mahovlich; he wore it for 1 game because his #27 wasn’t ready.

11. Ed says:

Thanks for the video Dave. It’s great to see Beliveau again, showing how well he played the game, & what a classy individual he always has been.

Man, was he not one of the slickest puckhandlers ever! I just loved the way he played the game, with such style & finesse.

12. Ed says:

I had forgotten that back in those days, in our neck of the woods, we only got to see a game on Wednesday & Saturday nights. Of course that was a big improvement over just Saturday night.

13. JohnBellyful says:

What can you say that hasn’t been said about one of the greatest players to have graced the NHL. An athlete and a gentleman. His legacy will be difficult if not impossible to match but players of today would do well to make the effort. Hockey would be the better for it: players showing respect for each other and not engaging in cheap shots and histrionics. Just play the game as it meant to be played and think only of the team. Success is sure to follow.

Thanks for the memories, Jean.

14. Jimmy9Toes says:

I think this clip should be shown to every kid in junior on how to celebrate a goal that is not a game winner.