Hanging the goose egg on a contender

For one night, the Vancouver Cannots.

Sweet!

Quotes from the room

• Red Fisher’s game column

About last night …

• Stubbs: 40 years of Habs-Nux history: just don’t ask Reggie

• Pat Hickey on Alain Vigneault

• Pierre Ladouceur’s game analysis

1. Bugs says:

Yeah, he was just barely good enough to win Olympic Gold against the BEST of the best players in the world.

Totally agree, Timo.

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

2. dh says:

Regarding the PP sucking, I don’t know what the answer is but that 4 minute PP was brutal to watch.  It looked like coaching was the problem.  There didn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to what they were trying to do.

3. Bugs says:

Hey! Careful.

Careful, buddy.

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

4. GrimJim says:

Rule 63.2 “When any player, while in his defending zone, shoots or bats (using his hand or his stick)  the puck directly (non-deflected) out of the playing surface, except where there is no glass, a penalty shall be assessed for delaying the game. When the puck is shot into the players’ bench, the penalty will not apply. When the puck is shot over the glass ‘behind’ the players’ bench, the penalty will be assessed.”

What would you be if you were attached to another object by an incline-plan wrapped helically around an axis?

5. ebk says:

again. certainly his play has declined, wasn’t disputing that, just the injury-prone and soft attitude statements.

6. Propwash says:

Wasn’t Guerin paired with Crosby/Malkin in Pitts? That would definately help his stats.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

7. avatar_58 says:

Ooh hey – redesigned bulldogs website. About damn time

8. Bugs says:

Agree about the Kid getting more respect after punching guys in his crease in the back’o’the head now. No longer cringing when the puck’s in his zone. Confident. Rubbing hands together in malicious glee with totally unearned vindicated contentment.

Feel bad sayin this, but who the heck is Guèvremont? Am I bad person for not knowing or are you a freak because you do?

Aas for the poker-boy, consider that your Halloween thing raised money for the Foundation only and he’ll probably give elsewhere too. I mean, I don’t know that, but if you got 9mil and you give 100k away to a charitable cause the next day you get it, stands to reason you won’t stop there.

And waitaminnit, waitaminnit, waitaminnit, are you implying…are you implying that…that the leafs are STUPID??? Whaaaaaaat??? The leafs? Noooo… the leafs? Stupid? Them?

Nooooooo…

Well, maybe.

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

9. Mark C says:

Habs top prospect :), David Desharnais just scored, 1-0 Bulldogs in the second. SF09, what’s up with a morning game?

10. Bugs says:

I don’t recall it being the “stacked team” that stopped Pavol Demitra in the final seconds against Slovakia to assure our place in that gold medal round.

Furthermore, last I looked, the Canucks aren’t a bunch of pee-wees neither.

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

11. Propwash says:

I was making a joke, apparently you didn’t get it. Who’s the stupid one now?

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

12. SeriousFan09 says:

I’d take Knuble for sure, Zherdev has no physical power in his game. Backes… I don’t think we can take him without dumping a big contract and who among the vets can we really lose? Yes I know folks let’s send Gomez outta town but realistically it’s not like a lot of teams want his contract. Langenbrunner, he might fit in there as a playoff piece provided the Habs don’t give up much for him, but he and Knuble are rental types and would have to be acquired on the cheap to justify it.

Guerin, I just think the calender’s finally caught up with him a bit too much.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

13. Omit says:

You left out Gomez.  Thanks.

14. SmartDog says:

Price needs help from the Gomerites.  No matter how bad Gomer is, they always blame it on someone else.  Never his fault.

If you listen to them, Gomez would be leading the scoring race if Gio had been able to just convert on half the golden opportunities Gomer gave him.  Of course, now on the Pleks line Gio has pulled away from Gomer in points and plus-minus.  Someone else must be the problem on the Gomer line now.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

15. JohnBellyful says:

I haven’t been the same since I bought some bad bubble gum.

16. joeybarrie says:

HMMMMM, who is the ONLY player you left out of the doing well column?

Actually you left out AK too…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

17. SeriousFan09 says:

He’s had 4 off-season surgeries, two wrist, one shoulder and now a knee operation. He doesn’t miss a lot of time with the team per say but he has had several surgical procedures to correct physical ailments and these operations seem to have taken a toll on his abilities. He’s not exactly playing like Getzlaf or Eric Staal either when he’s on the ice either.

You don’t volunteer to get operated on, he’s had injuries and he’s not recovered well from them from indications on his last 2 seasons of NHL scoring or this season’s especially now that Martin St. Louis isn’t on his wing to boost his scoring along.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

18. Bugs says:

Yeah, like Iginla is doing in Calgary with his whopping 2 goals, right?

We should be more like Calgary, right Timo?

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

19. joeybarrie says:

Even more reason to sign Guerin…

!9th overall last season in Powerplay goals, and led his team with 11. (one more than our team leader Gionta)

That being said I have been looking at it. Why wouldn’t we assign Boyd to Hamilton? 1.4 million dollars sits in the press box in O’Byrne.

So whats up? giving us 2.7 million in cap space with Boyd in Hamilton OR in a trade along with O’Byrne….

Been hearing about alot of scouts in our stands lately…

Jamie Langenbrunner is a UFA in July and has played with Gomez and Gionta…. 2.8 million cap hit, and because he came in mid season, we would get him under the cap easily….

Nikolay Zherdev is in his final year and is a cap friendly 2 mil for 25 goals…

David Backes is a UFA soon and our FAV trade partner owes us a deal according to some…

Mike Knuble is having a tough time in Washington (expect the last 2 games). UFA and at 2.8 million would be the best signing I could possibly think of…. The have to re-sign Semin, Laich and Fleischmann… Dont see Knuble getting a new deal worthy of his contribution.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

20. SmartDog says:

A good observation.  The Habs seem to chop and hack at the puck a lot more, and their passes – especially from some people – aren’t as accurate.

I’d say passing from the D now that Markov is back is strong, Pleks passing is as good as ever.  Cami and Gio, Halpern and Pouliot are pretty good… Gio’s pretty good.  Outside of that, it’s no-mans land.  Just flick the puck in someone’s general direction and hope they get it.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

21. JD_ says:

* Thing I’m likin’ about Price is not only the way he wins but also the way he loses. His play has become consistent to the point where I no longer find myself tryin’ to peer through the mesh on his mask whenever the camera’s on him, you know, tryin’ to figure out where his head’s at. His confidence not only has him playin’ bigger in the net, the next time he tries to Hextall someone, he’ll do it with the panache borne of street cred. On the fair assumption the Habs will not finish the season with 150 points, I can stomach losses if he continues to play this way. Heck, he’s built enough equity with the Bell Centre crowd that even a complete stinker won’t trigger Fansolvency™.

* Stubbs has some interestin’ Canucks lore in this mornin’s Gazette. Have a couple o’ Nucks stories of my own, includin’ one involvin’ former Hab Ryan Walter, and another that happened about 15 years ago at a hockey trade show at Place Bonaventure in Montreal. Was strollin’ around when this 50-ish, tall and lanky guy comes around the corner. He looks familiar. Somethin’ clicks. “Jocelyn Guevremont. Nice to meet you.”, I say as I put my hand out to shake his. “Wow! Only two people have recognized me since I retired [1980],” he retorts, “and you’re number two.” Guevremont was so utterly thrilled to be remembered, he insisted I come to whatever-company-it-was-he-was-workin’-with’s reception over at the Chateau Champlain, “Bring your friends!” Straight-up chap. Good times.

* “Steven [Stamkos] is not ready for the NHL.” Hey, Barry Melrose, think he’s ready now, ya goofy bag o’ do?

* Reignin’ WSOP no-limit holdem world champ Jonathan Duhamel is donatin’ $100K to the Montreal Canadiens Children’s Foundation, the single-largest donation to date and, oh, I dunno, just a skate blade more than we were able to raise for the Foundation on Halloween night.

* To quote the ever-frustrated Elmer Fudd, “Shhh! Be vewy, vewy quiet.” If you do, you can just barely hear the hummin’ blades of the Mopey Loaf RookieGrinder™ gettin’ set to chew up and spit out Nazem Kadri. After callin’ the movers and reservin’ a pile of cardboard boxes on behalf of head coach Ron Wilson – I mean, it’s not like Burkie’s entirely heartless – his next call will almost certainly be to Dave Nonis, GM of the Toronto Marlies, “We think Nazem’s ready, Bill. What’s that? Dave? Yeah, whatever. Send him over. He’s ready.” What Burkie will really mean by “ready” is everyone in the Loafs org has run out of ideas, is prepared to cross their fingers, and, hey, if it doesn’t work out, it’s not like he and Wilson haven’t already crapped all over the kid. It’s old hat.

22. Bugs says:

Well, tell our good friend in Halifax (or whatever) that the Nuck were “so much better” that they lost, ok?

And to pick me up some’o’those First Nations sandals they sell next time she reports to back Victoria. Aw’iiiight?

Unnnnh! (z-formation finger-snap) Yowza!

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

23. otter649 says:

Markov got called for the same pentalty a couple of years ago when the puck was on end in the defensive zone & his clearing shot went the length of the ice over the net and hitting the netting & as well as creating a 5 on 3 advantage against The Habs……….

24. ebk says:

bored today and finally have some extra time.  keep up the good posts.

25. SeriousFan09 says:

It’s the Panthers curse, you play there and it pretty much negates your big-game ability.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

26. Bugs says:

And I’M called a weirdo???

I don’t think that’s very fair.

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

27. JohnBellyful says:

To recap from earlier postings: My Heart predicted the Habs would go 3-2 in their first five games, my Head said 2-3. The team went 3-1-1. My Heart was off the mark by one point, a deviation from reality of 15 per cent, or, in other words, it was 85 per cent correct. (My mind, on the other hand, deviated from reality by 43 per cent. Par for the course, actually.)

After taking the measure of the team, Heart predicted the Habs would go 6-4 in their next 10 games. My Head said 5-5. My Heart was spot on – the team went 6-4. Overall, the team is 9-5-1; my Heart had predicted 9-6-0. In other words, it was 95 per cent correct.

Here’s what lies ahead for the Habs’ next 20 games:
    HOME: Hurricanes, Flyers, Predators, Leafs, Kings, Sabres, Oilers, Sharks, Senators, Flyers, Bruins
    AWAY: Bruins, Flyers, Thrashers, Devils, Red Wings, Leafs, Avalanche, Stars, Hurricanes

Okay, Heart, what is it? 9-9-2. Head? 7-10-3.
    I know what you’re thinking: Give my Head a shake.

Uh oh – concussion!

28. cautiousoptimist says:

Man I love J.T.’s commentaries.  From her site: “The Canucks are so much better than the Canadiens with their sticks in
    close quarters, it’s like watching the Chinese national ping pong team
    versus the British Open lawn darts champs. In ping pong.”

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  29. G-Man says:

Those “soft” goals were what caused his W-L record last year to be crap.

A differing opinion must mean we are all Price-bashing spinners. From Jan 09 until just recently, Price has played average to below average. Get over it.

30. Omit says:

Timo,

You keep posting like this and I’ll have to change my name. What has happened to you?

31. HFX-HabFan says:

Jan Lasak FTW

32. punkster says:

Seems there’s alot of that going around these days.

33. krob1000 says:

hey..glad to see you are still kicking around on here Earl.

34. Omit says:

The PP will vastly improve once Markov hits his stride.  There are a few players in a slump right now, but the talent is definitely there.  As Price once stated, people should relax. :)

Oh, and somebody should tell Cammillari to stop that dipsy-doodle little cute plays BS and play like he wants to win not impress the crowd. Sheesh!

36. HabFanSince72 says:

Nah. It’s Boston. They will always be in our shadow.

Problem with PP is that guys are too stationary. There is little movement from players and plays they make are very predictable. Couple that with nobody sitting on top of the goalie (hence, nothing do distract the PK) and voila, it’s a simple 4 man box and just keeping the pack out.

38. joeybarrie says:

A little drastic don’t you think. Chris Lee is a TERRIBLE ref. There is no denying this.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

39. HabFanSince72 says:

SF09 never lets the facts get in the way of a good theory.

40. joeybarrie says:

Like I said, to me the same way that a goal, save, off-side, icing, or penalty delays the game.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

41. CBrady12 says:

Andddd the stupidity of hab fans comes out yet again

Canucks will never be contenders with Luongo. This sieve will always lay a big (6 or 7 goal) goose egg in game 7 at one point or other. Luongo is not a pressure goaltender and he is getting worse and worse and years go buy.

What do you mean MAB is not an answer?!

43. joeybarrie says:

I see what your saying. I agree. I still think the cycle is important. Our PP was so good, and I remember how great we were cycling during. I remember we were keeping the puck and opening up other players, and then when they get the puck the PK is dis organized and confused. We were taking advantage of that. We also had dangerous point shots, side shots (cammi) AND AK’s wristers and passes… Now we seem to be lucky if we even get an opportunity to do anything.

It is probably the same solution to the problems with Gio and Gomez, and now AK and Cammi. The players don’t seem to be on the exact same page moving through the neutral zone. More offsides, more pucks to far ahead or into skates. The passes are not bad, because the passes are dictated by the opponents positioning. Its the receiving to me that is off, we are either too far ahead or too far behind.

I thik its a case of going left and passing the puck right. Whatever it is, we REALLY REALLY need it to get better.

ESPECIALLY against Boston.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

44. G-Man says:

The rule prevents that play from becoming a tactic. And, yes, it does delay the game.

45. krob1000 says:

But when we dump it in it is still one guy carrying the puck through the neautral zone while everyone else is waiting at the blueline and then chasing from a disadvantaged postion.  When we do it we predictably try to win the race and ring it around the boards..it is too predictable and we are starting at a disadvantage. I think once we get set up we are generating chances personally…hitting the net…that is a huge issue right now. The corners shouldn’t be an issue once teams respect us ast hey will hold their box and the corners shouldn’t be a part of a successful pp other than for retrieval.  We are definitely hurried but that is because teams are pressuring us so much because they have no respect…nor should they right now.  I still think more guys travelling quicker are necessary though…..dump ins only work if your team will win the race to the puck….having one more player on the ice doesn’t ensure that…having one guy in a position to win that race, with support when he does will change that IMO.

46. Danno says:

“Having that other goalie from Slovakia around wouldn’t change our record”

Who on earth are you talking about? Is it Peter Budaj?

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

47. habfan53 says:

Back to the ’70’s?

48. kirkiswork says:

Toronto definitely sucks at snow removal.

49. HFX-HabFan says:

Thoughts from last night’s game:

-I haven’t been able to see as much of the Canucks as in previous seasons, but if they really are supposed to be the Great White Hope as Canada’s top Cup-contending team this year, then they have a lot of work to do.  Our forecheck stifled their breakout and made their D look very ordinary/next to awful for some stretches.

-I like Dan Hamhuis and thought highly of him for his play in Nashville and for Canada at the Worlds, but he was pretty bad last night, coughing the puck up on more than one occasion.

-The Sedins were practically invisible all night, save for some nice puck movement on one of the VAN power plays, and the semi-breakaway that Daniel got.  Other than that, we shut them down nicely.

-Ryan Kesler is a Mike Fisher-type of guy that you hate to play against but would love to have on your own team.  I didn’t like him (and Burrows, but it’s expected from Burrow, that twit) trying to draw some penalties by faking being clipped or diving around.

-Eller played his best game in the last little while, but I’m sure JM wants to see better play without the puck before the Dane gets more minutes.

-Subban’s ice time has been down the last couple of games (likely a result of Markov taking on more minutes), but I thought last night he played more relaxed and confident than in a while.

-Our power play still sucks, but MAB is not the answer.

-Carey Price made some great saves and deserved the shutout.  Before the season began, I maintained that Price simply had to play at his ’07-’08 level and we’d be fine in net.  Having more offensive support (as he did in ’07-’08), namely 5 on 5 scoring, would be the key to our success, and it still is.  Price is doing just fine.  Having that other goalie from Slovakia around wouldn’t change our record, because how our team finishes this season will be a result of our offensive output, not how well our goalie plays.

Bring on the ‘Ruins!  Let’s dropkick some Murphys in Beantown tomorrow night!

50. Danno says:

I guess so. Still doesn’t seem right though.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

51. joeybarrie says:

The fact that he was in our own zone.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

52. Danno says:

I’m not sure about the rule, but I thought the call would be to bring the puck back to our end and that’s it. That would seem to be punishment enough. As you say, puck fly up there all the time so what made that so special?

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

53. habfan53 says:

Anybody else notice the post time is still daylight saving

54. Chuck says:

The rule doesn’t relate to where the puck goes over thie glass, only where it was shot from by the offending player.

Centre Hice: One fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens

55. joeybarrie says:

It is a stupid rule. However, it is a rule. You have to draw the line somewhere. Simply put ANYTIME a player shoots the puck out of the rink directly from their defensive zone, you get a delay-of-game penalty.

My question is this… WHY IS IT A DELAY OF GAME PENALTY? There is NO delay in the game if it is done. The clock stops and there is a face-off in your own zone. Nothing benefitted but killing the sustained pressure the opposing team is getting. To me, to the same extent, a goal is the same delay of game…

I don’t like it, but it does add a certain aspect to the game. Simply put, you can’t just shoot the puck ANYWHERE to get rid of it, you HAVE to try to play it. Keeping it in the game. I kind of like it. BUT I can’t specifically remember how many times the game stopped before the rule because of that, so I have no frame of reference.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

56. Propwash says:

It’s par for the course when it comes to Chris Lee

57. krob1000 says:

PP is gettingo respect and has no confidence….seems to be some sort of idea that one guy has to carry the pcuk in for some reason and start in our end with a head of steam while everyone else stands still and waits.  Right now because we are getting norespect and have no confidene teams are abandoning teh box and just pressuring us, it is working as we are panicking too often.  A few crisp pp goals and that gets resolved but right now there are some serious issues…Gomez, Cammi, Subban seem to be the annointed ones to carry the puck in and set up….but everyone we play knows that…it seems we gaint he zone with only the intention of setting up….maybe we should treat the entry like a rush and play for the goal and keep the defenders honest…stopping and circling at the top of the circles is not working.  Once we are set up we are threatening  but as long as we have no confidence and get no respect then setting up against aggressive pk’s will just keep getting more and more difficult….let’s start attacking the zone with multiple layers having speed, force the other team to respect that speed, it makes it easier to retrieve pucks dumped behind them as well, and it gainst eh blueline but right now we have somer serious issues.  I also think the cannon from the point is playing a role here too but hat is once the setup is established and right ow that isn’t even being accomplished…..have to start being more aggressive nt he neutral zone with more than one guy entering with a lot of speed….way too rpedicatble and defensible…especially if it is gomez as he is no threat to continue towards the net and even Subban is obviously going to need to retreat as he is a dman…it is getting old real quick.  Need more speed in the netral zone and more guys attacking to open that space…

58. joeybarrie says:

I disagree with the head of steam theory. Gomez isnt on the first wave of the PP, and I have seen us trying different things like slap the puck into the corners and dump it in…Pass it in, and carry it in by Subban, Pleks, Gomez and others. I don’t think that is a significant problem.

For me the big problems are:

We cannot sustain any pressure.

We cant hit the net.

We have no set up.

We cant cycle in the corners and come out with the puck.

We seem hurried in our PP attempts, and we don’t have any control of the game when we are outnumbering the opposition. We look lost and challenged instead of our normal superior selves. We could hold on to the puck and move it around. Now we are lucky if we can put together 3 passes without giving it up or shooting from a difficult spot.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

59. Danno says:

You’re right. We need to turn the clock back. Back to when our first two lines were an offensive threat.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

60. ebk says:

don’t bring reality into the conversation, just let the price bashers spin away.

61. habfan53 says:

It’s not just the Leafs, It is a Toronto vs Montreal whether it be Hockey, Football, Film Festivals or snow removal.

62. Hagar says:

This is entertaing stuff. Good on Giguere. I’m so glad I’m not a Leafs fan.

63. joeybarrie says:

Is that why the Habs have been doing so well in the last few years??? Cause The Leafs lose ALOT???

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

64. PrimeTime says:

Funny that he said this

“This is a young group; we should have energy every game,” said
    Giguere, on the losing end of a 4-0 decision Tuesday night. “We
    shouldn’t be tired. We have lots of days off.

“If you’re tired, you’ve got to rethink what you’re doing, because this is unacceptable.”

…..after Sat’s game the team went to a club called Muzik and partied “like rcok stars” in the VIP Room until closing. My friend was with them and others. She didn’t mention names (doesn’t know many) but  all had a good time!! True story.

65. ebk says:

Certainly he’s declined  in performance but the injure-prone and general soft attitude are a pretty big reach. he’s missed 11 games in the last 6 years. played all last year, missed 5 the year before, so injure-prone kinda seems like the opposite of what he is

66. madmat411 says:

Something is bothering me…I do not understand Chris Lee’s delay-of-game penalty to Pleky at the end of the first period! I mean, Yes, it hit the netting behind Luongo, but….It was shot from OUR zone…DOWn the ice.. INTO the mesh…pucks fly up there all the time..How can you delay a game…when you shoot the puck into the mesh from your own zone? I’m baffled “a-la-max”

67. joeybarrie says:

On to more frustrating things…………

I am happy with last night’s win… Pretty good day. Great night in my fantasy league. Leafs lost. so SMILES all around…

OUR POWER PLAY IS PATHETIC. We can’t set up in the offensive zone. We can’t cycle, we can’t keep the puck, and we can’t shoot on the net. In fact the only reason we scored last night on the PP was because we DIDN’T hit the net with the first shot.

Special teams indeed…. I am very very happy with the PK, but we really need to focus on the PP.

The opposite teams have been getting good chances off our PP, the players killing the penalty don’t get tired, and really we get absolutely NOTHING for the penalty. I don’t know what the solution is…. It isnt picking up any particular players. Cause we can’t get 5 new ones to replace the CRAPPY guys playing right now.

I truly believe the stress I endure during our wins by 1 goal are the result of a poor PP. I should at least be able to breathe with 2 min left of a game. (Not last night cause I wanted Pricey to get the shut-out)

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

68. Chuck says:

He wasn’t fantastic, but considering the situations that he had to play in he wasn’t that bad, either. Blanket statements like “a deflating soft goal pretty much every game” is inaccurate.

Centre Hice: One fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens

69. Storm Man says:

Did he do it in french or english?

70. Mark C says:

First, how many “deflating soft goals” did he allow last year? Sorry, I have a hard time believing that before last night’s game Price had the same SV% as a year ago, yet has cut down on these soft goals from one a game to next to none. Price has certainly allowed fewer goals and less bad goals than a year ago, but I think this while idea about him allowing all these soft goals last year is really overblown.

71. Storm Man says:

Im in SHOCK… Clay is coming around.

72. habs365 says:

what really burns me….if price has one bad game he should be traded he’s no good and what ever….when you have eighteen players in front of him on most nights have a hard time scoring that’s ok….just move them around and they’ll be ok….bottom line there’s a double standard….when it comes to players verse’s goalie.

That’s what the Rocket thinks.

73. VancouverHab says:

You are indeed saying something but that something is nothing correct or civil.

Note to Night Rider: we won last night and we won by shutting down the high-scoring Canucks. Scott Gomez was one of the players doing that. Ergo Scott Gomez was directly valuable in last night’s win without scoring goals.

Tomas Plekanec is another player from last night for whom Ian’s quote is also perfectly applicable.

Just what part of this simple and obvious observation is difficult for you to understand?

74. VancouverHab says:

Uhhmm…I’m agreeing with Ian — in fact, defending him here.

75. NightRyder says:

I gather you’re not too bright either.

How about this: “Price doesn’t really need to stop the puck as long as we score more than they do.”

76. VancouverHab says:

Sigh.

No-o-o. That is not the analogy. The analogy would be “Price doesn’t need to stop the puck as long as he is scoring goals.” You see, Gomez (& Pleks) didn’t score but they defended. So if a Goalie doesn’t defend, he’d have to actively score to have the equivalency.

Logic, meet NightRyder. NightRyder, meet Logic.

77. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Ian watches hockey with a knowledgeable eye. You don’t always agree with his take, but it is always presented with respect and intelligence.

Nightryder is discussing statistics, not what happens in a hockey game. Stats may never lie, but they don’t necessarily measure reality, either. Judging from his tone, nightryder wants to present himself as a guy raised in a barn. Ian reads like a guy raised in an arena.

Different worlds.

78. habsfan_61 says:

nice game last nite. we now have an “ambush” game vs the b’s thursday(hopefully they blow their load and beat the leafs helping ensure another high pick for b’s). lets see how the habs do in this tough portion of the schedule. we’ll have a better idea afterwards of the direction this team needs to go for the rest of the season

79. Fant-HAB-ulous says:

I just read about the new all star format on nhl.com, and I am kinda into it.

An all-star Fantasy Draft format? I’d watch that for a good 45 minute or so. I think it will give the players the needed engagement that’s been lacking.

80. SeriousFan09 says:

Habs personnel looking to set career benchmarks this season.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

81. rocketsglare says:

Carey Price was assertive and aggressive all night long in SO the Canucks. The D was the margin of

victory, scoring 2 goals. Impressive win by Carey and the D, but the offense continues to struggle.

The PP did finally produce which hopefully is a good omen for this team. The fact that Markov scored

was indeed good news and hopefully gets him going. The offense is simply going to have to work out

their issues apparently through trial and error. Let’s see if they can get it together soon because rely-

ing on Price and the D to win you every game is not conducive to long term success.

Great win against a quality opponent and now it’s off to Boston and hopefully another big win.

Last night, the Habs played like it was a road game. They played for the win, not for the crowd.

Great to visit with you again at the summit Hardhabits. Save me a place on St. Cathrine for the parade!

84. CBrady12 says:

Habs won a big game last night…better start complaining

85. adam76 says:

Huge win – 9 – 5 – 1 feels a hell of a lot better then 8 – 6 – 1.  Price is playing above average – almost to his pedigree.

86. JoeC says:

So unless Price wins the Vezina and a stanley cup hes always gonna be worse then halak in your eyes right? Regadless of Halaks play.

87. G-Man says:

You and I have been the hardest to convince, but so far this year, I have to say Price is playing well. His shutout last night was a very good effort, especially in the 3rd.

Now, if only Gomez could get his assists totals upped.

88. Mike D says:

I agree with the comments from Pricey, Marky, and Hammer about it being a real team victory and the guys playing like a unit.

Carey played stellar though and deserves a TON of credit.  Scoring only two goals against the Canucks will likely not get you a win on most nights so full marks to him for the win and shutout!  Hats off to you sir!

- Honestly yours

89. SmartDog says:

THE GOOD:

Pricey was solid – excellent position, strong on the puck.

Marky is looking like the Marky of old… strong at both ends.

Hamrlik and Spacek shut down the Sedins?  Maybe what these guys needed was a challenge.

Eller played well; yes, he’s still learning but the guy plays with a little fire which keeps surprising me.

Pleks was Pleks. Hard working, creating chances. This guy just gets better and better.

Gionta. Another point for our Captain. Two games after moving off the Gomer line Gionta now has 2 more points and is +2 over Gomer.

BOTH BAD AND UGLY: Gomer “blind-pass” Pyle

Am I the only one who sees the horrible give-away passes that Gomez makes all game long?  The first one was in the first 3 minutes.  Delayed penalty in the first, the team works hard to get the puck into the O-zone to get a shot and Gomez, blind-passes in the middle where there is NO-ONE.  End of chance.  Later, Habs are pressing in the O-zone, Gomer in the corner, no real pressure but one guy near him so he dishes to the feet of someone at the top of the circle, who has TWO guys on him, and of course the puck is gone the other way for a break-away and thankfully Price is on his game…. the WHOLE GAME he does stuff like that.  Early in the third, Gionta works his TAIL OFF to keep the puck in the O-zone, battles all around the zone, stops it from crossing the blue line, sees Gomer on the boards and a perfect little pass onto his stick.  Gomer WHILE STILL FACING THE BOARDS, dishes a backpass THROUGH HIS LEGS into the middle where there are 4 Canucks. Crazy. Gionta goes crazy getting this puck and Gomer doing some fancy-crap pass just tosses it away. This must piss his teammates off even more than it pisses me off.  He is USELESS.  C’mon.. tell me you don’t see this stuff all game long.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

90. Habsrule1 says:

I saw the blind passes. They drive me nuts. what surprises me is that you don’t see how good he is at carrying the puck. He is also setting up chance after chance that never get finished like they should. It kinda makes me laugh how you only see the bad in him, and never once mention how he has set up multiple players with open nets or at least good scoring opportunities that don’t wind up in a goal.

I see his giveaways (2-3 a game) and his lack of actually shooting (seems pre-programmed to only set others up), but you seem yet to see how he gains the zone 9 out of 10 times, and constantly sets up his linemates.

Go Habs Go!! “Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

91. G-Man says:

“Am I the only one who sees the horrible give-away passes that Gomez makes all game long?”

Keep ragging on him. He’s playing way better than your opinion of him. There are Price bashers on this site, SD, but you are the premier Gomez basher. And it’s getting dull. Since June of ’09 and ongoing. Enuf already!

92. Habsrule1 says:

Nice game. I agree that it seemed as though everyone was doing their part. There were not too many mistakes made by the Habs. There were a few, but everyone seemed to cover for the mistakes when they were made, especially Price. I was nervous thinking shutout in the 3rd….always seems to jinx them, even if I just think about it.

The PP finally clicked after looking dismal for the first couple chances. I like this team because even though there are some aspects of the team (PP & G&G) not working out right now, we’re still 3rd in the conference. I truly believe the PP will get back on track, and G&G will pick it up, and when they do, we will be extremely hard to beat.

Surprising as it may be, even spacek & Hamrlik played well….maybe they’re hitting their stride, assuming it’s a bit harder for 35+ players to get out of the gate….?

Another big test tomorrow. Bruins are 4 points behind the Habs with 4 games in hand.

93. LA Loyalist says:

The 4 games in hand thing is weird. In the Ducks/Sharks game last night they said the same thing, Sharks had played 4 less games than Quackers – maybe because of Europe, but one more reason why it’s important to pile up points early in the season before inevitable injuries kick in.

Don’t hold your breath on Nomez, though.

94. Hobie Hansen says:

Jacques Martin can’t coach and we should fire him and Pierre Gauthier immediately! And why in the world did we let Jaro Halak go to make room for Carey Price. This team is a disgrace!

That’s what a fair portion of people were saying yesterday afternoon around here. I’m not saying I’ve never been guilty of over doing it or putting my foot in my mouth on occasion, but man was that annoying yesterday.

I’ve been bashing Jaro Spacek pretty harshly lately and I’d like to mention that he looked good last night. I liked that soccer kick he used to keep the play alive on the PP. Great game last night, although I was distracted by a bunch of rowdy girls and didn’t get to watch it pass for pass so I could debate every play with you guys today.

Oh and having suffered through living in Toronto when the Habs’ best player was Oleg Petrov and the Leafs we’re outspending us in order to advance further in the playoffs; man it’s sweet to see them suffer. I suffered for the better part of a decade every time I went to a sports bar to watch a game with my Habs jersey on so it’s great to see the roles reversed. Now I live in Ottawa and I think there’s more support for the Habs than the Sens here. GO HABS GO.

95. Mattyleg says:

Those consarned Sens are looking hot, though. Looks like Kovy’s decided to play, and Spezza is back on.

Echhh.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

96. SeriousFan09 says:

Bulldogs get knocked around:

In a weird 10:45 AM start, the Hamilton Bulldogs visited the Lake Erie Monsters and after being down after 40 minutes 2-1, they gave up 3 goals in the final period to lose 5-1, David Desharnais scored the only goal for the Bulldogs, assisted by Aaron Palushaj. Robert Mayer had 20 stops on 25 GA, I think Sanford will be getting more starts as Mayer’s still having issues with consistency. Bulldogs were caught for 29 minutes of penalties which didn’t do much to help them carry offence either.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

97. Chuck says:

10:45am? Did they have to vacate the ice for an afternoon public skate?

Centre Hice: Leafs face huge lawsuit

Thanks for the update ROB

99. avatar_58 says:

Mayer doesn’t quite do it for me. I was more confident in the saves with Delmas in.

Gomez and Gionta were terrific again, shutting down Vancouver’s top guns like they have been doing this season with their great speed. They do not need to score if they can keep up this great defensive work.

Read Ian Cobb’s HI/O Blog

101. Say Ash says:

With all due respect, Ian, they need to score – unless, of course, Hammer turns into Bobby Orr.

102. mike g says:

Gionta was excellent last night…

He may not have scored a goal, but he was involved in the play on each and every shift. For the smallest player in the league to have that much of an impact on a game, against s big/strong/tough Canucks defensive group, he was outstanding last night.

He went to the net, took good shots, and didn’t get pushed around by a solid team.

Gomez was good also, the only thing we can knock him for is the passed up opportunity in the slot. Hal Gill would have taken that shot, but anyways.

He was more involved like Gionta, and his wheels were great.

Funny how nobody noticed, but the only time we looked half-dangerous on the 4 minute PP we got, was when Gomez took it from end to end and set up a good PP in the Canucks zone. If not for that play, we would not even have had 1 shot on out 4 minute advantage. And that was the only time we set up anything in their zone.

Good effort from both, you’re right Ian…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

103. HabFanSince72 says:

Very good point, Ian. Gionta and Gomez were often against the Sedins, who could barely get a shot on goal.

104. NightRyder says:

They do not need to score if they can keep up this great defensive work.”

Are you insane?

If you want good defensive work, sign John Madden off the scrap heap for a million bucks and spend the money on someone who can score.

Your above quote could very well be the dumbest thing ever said on this site – and that is saying something!

105. TomNickle says:

Despite Eller’s low icetime, he would be close to a point per game player if he could make a decision with the puck in the offensive zone about a second to a half second quicker.  Hanging onto the puck too long and letting backcheckers pick up the proper man and the goalie to setup.

It will come for him.

Oh yeah, and Price is just terrible.  Can’t believe we kept him.

106. SmartDog says:

I agree.  We see guys like Subban come in, and the marquee forwards on other teams,and they hit the ground running. But it’s more typical for someone like Eller to come in and score a couple of goals only in their first year and then take a good step up the next year.  Eller to me looks very good.  He’s just learning the rythm of the game at this level, but he works hard, plays physical and you can see he wants it.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

107. Mike D says:

I agree with some of your points about Eller, specifically about hanging onto to the puck too long and getting it taken away from him by a backchecker.  Not sure how you came to the conclusion that he’d be close to a point-a-game player this year with quicker decision-making and more ice-time though?  It seems a bit out of left field and we haven’t seen enough of him yet to really judge anyway.  I’m not saying that you’re definitely wrong btw cuz anything’s possible, just saying that particular line of speculation seems to be based on absolutely nothing and sounds totally off to me.  Pleks is likely the best player we have from a point-production standpoint and his best season to date was 70 points (last year).  You saying Eller can meet/exceed than that this year is ridiculous.  Sorry man not trying to harp on you, but c’mon.  For the record, I like Eller a lot and I think he’s a real solid prospect.

What I really like about Eller’s game is that he’s not afraid to go to the corners and battle for the puck, he’s got some sweet hands (that bit of stickhandling last night with 3 ‘nucks on him and still gaining the offensive zone was awesome), solid work ethic, and it appears that he’s got a lot of tools (and therefore potential) to become a really good player in this league.  Who knows, maybe we’ve got another Tomas Plekanec in the making.

- Honestly yours

108. adam76 says:

If only they had a leage beneith the NHL where someone not ready for primetime could get a larger number of munites to hone his craft.

If only,  That being said, I predict the kid will be in the AHL by next week.  He is not ready.

Price is playing up to his potential – the first time in two years.  Great news.

109. krob1000 says:

I wrote a couple of posts on that last night Tom, it seems it only really happens to him when he crosses the blueline on the right side, he goes into his glide early and he is a lefty….he  carries the puck in the middle of the rink where the backpressure comes from and has it picked clean.  Simple adjustment and puck protection 101 with his size and he can create that time but it is a coaches pet peeve when that gets turned over there and he is on a roll with it.  He is strong enough to gt away with holding onto that puck if he stops carrying it in the middle of the rink…and way back in the shooting pocket where it easily accesible to the backcheker.  It has been the same play about 3 games running….it is really about the only really glaring mistake he has been making but he keeps doing it and it always leads to a chance the other way and seems to lead to sustained pressure everytime…poor kid becauise he has some serious skills.

110. SmartDog says:

I see his “set-ups”.  But the nmbers speak for themselves.   His passes are often too quick in close, or on people’s feet. And then everyone says “X missed an open net!!”.  The net could’ve been open if the pass was better.

The ONE thing Gomez does well is gain the zone but he does it because he skates side to side and circles around until he has an opening.  Most other guys go more directly into the zone and don’t make their whole team wait at the blue line.

And this is my point: I see the positives in his game but there are negatives to every positive with Gomez.  It’s why he has 3 points.  He’s a different version of Kovalev.  Seems good at first glance but the negatives are just as big.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

111. SmartDog says:

3 points in 15 games, he deserves better?

C’mon.  Did you not see those terrible passes?  Would anyone else do that and NOT get ragged on.  Gomez has a bunch of you under some kind of spell.  I think you need to think he’s money well spent.  You’ll change.  The longer he’s here the more people see what a lousy contribution he makes to an otherwise increasingly solid team.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

112. SeriousFan09 says:

Season’s still early, but can’t say he’s inspiring me right now. Delmas may be back soon enough if it continues though.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

Too bad that he’s been struggling, so far, in the AHL after his outstanding ECHL play-off performance.

114. RGM says:

“For forty years, the Vancouver Cannots”

I fixed your headline for you. :)

115. PeterD says:

I like Benny right where he is now….with the PhD line.  This is the first time in a very long time when he is building his confidence on the ice…he is playing hard and developing into a strong player…with the building success he is having now with Halpern and Darche, why would JM want to move him back into a potentially high risk situation for his confidence…until Gomez starts playing back to his potential I think I would leave Benny right where he is and goive him the ice time he deserves…even if it is for the full season.

I like what Benny is doing right now…playing with heart, body and skill…well done Benny.

116. Hoegarden says:

By far the most improved player over last year. He may not have stats to turn heads but no one can point fingers at him for not showing up.

117. mbplekfan says:

Benny is gaining confidence and playing very simple hockey. No expectations on him to do anything other than play straight ahead hockey. He is hitting, back-checking, and working the puck down low.

Halpern has said that Benny has tonnes of skill and is the trigger man for the line. They are having success and are playing solid hockey I cant see JM breaking them up.

118. volcano62 says:

No matter what, Halak is the better goalie. With that said Price has been playing beyond expectations….even mine.

119. JoeC says:

So basically, if Halak tanks the rest of the season and Price keeps up like this Halak is still betteR?

120. Mike D says:

Easy there, short-sighted.  It’s wayyyy to early to make a statement like that and try to pass it off as fact.  The truth is, barring any catastrophic declines in either goalies play, it will probably take years before that debate is settled.  AND, let’s not rule out the possibility that it could never be truly settled (IE the Roy vs. Brodeur debate) if their career stats and other measuring sticks end up being close.

- Honestly yours

121. Say Ash says:

Roy has three Conn Smythes. Brodeur has as many as you. That one is settled.

122. adam76 says:

Halak is a better goaltender then Price, nothing I have witnessed over the last 4 years would suggest otherwise.

123. habfan53 says:

Current Habs  vs  All-Time

Markov leads the current team in alltime points he is 36th on the list and should pass Patrice Brisebois, Bert Olmstead and Rejean Houle this year.

As for Forwards  Tomas Plekanecs leads currently 54th but should move up at least 10 spots passing: Mike Keane, Didier Pitre, Jacques Laperrierre, Serge Savard, Ken Mosdell, Mark Rucinsky, Doug Risebrough BIG John Ferguson and Mark Napier.

Slow work day

124. habs03 says:

A big part of last night’s win had to do with JM system, for those that bash him, last night win is credited to Price and JM, he had the D aggressive and took the blue line away, you can see the Nucks got frustrated and were forced to go East/West instead of North/South. As for Eller, I’m a big fan of his, but he only got about 4 min of ice time, I know people think JM is ruining him, but it will be good for him in the long run, Eller reminds me so much of Pleck, with the way he uses his body to protect the puck, I really think he’ll be Pleck .2 but bigger. Pleck started the way in his first years, Pleck played 3rd/4th line for a good part of 2 years before taking off.

125. Mike D says:

Totally agree with that.  Eller reminds me a lot of Pleks 4-5 years ago too.  Let’s hope he turns out to be at least as good if not better (and gets there faster).   :-)

- Honestly yours

126. habfan53 says:

I like Eller I think he will devellope into a top six forward however I am not sure it will be with JM I still shudder they way he treated Jason Spezza in Ottawa.

127. Say Ash says:

Under what circumstance, exactly, will Gomez take a shot in the slot? Because I can’t figure it out, for the life of me.

Mike, I am pleased that their are others that enjoy both sides of the puck my friend. A lot of people miss out on the all rounded game that they play.

Team improvements are needed with the PP of course, but mostly face offs. We will peak later in the season, as it should be.

129. shiram says:

Nathan Gerbe of the Sabres has the honor of being the smallest NHL player actually, listed at 5’5”
    But carry on!

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

130. mike g says:

Only against MA Fluery…

Because it’s a guaranteed goal.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

131. mike g says:

Ian…

I played elite hockey for 19 years, in my mind I know when certain guys are playing well and doing the little things properly.

Unsung hero last night: Darche.

And Pouliot, Gomez, Gionta, Halpern all had excellent games.

Pleks, Hamrlik, Spacek and Markov also looked good.

People don’t realize how hard shutting down the Sedins is, and Hamrlik/Spacek did an excellent job.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

132. mike g says:

Yea I knew that…

Just didn’t feel the need to edit my comment once I re-read it, lol…

You got my point though, right?

5 foot 5 or 5 foot 6, pretty equal.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

133. shiram says:

Of course i get the point, i was just glad to point out the smurfiest of the smurfs is not on our squad!!

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

134. habs365 says:

I would like to see them try and shut philly down the way they played last night….the Habs would have had a few injuries….the broadstreet bully’s get mean when you try to make them look bad….if you come to play hockey that’s fine even if you beat them….trying to make them look bad a whole new ballgame

The Rocket remembers the playoffs  between Habs and Philly’s.

135. mike g says:

They will be tough..

Just gotta hope we don’t have to play them…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

136. CHHockeywife0996 says:

I find it it amusing that all the Darche haters have gone quiet – Way to go PHD line and Kudos to all the others who continue to give 110% !

137. habfan53 says:

OK am I the only one that is starting to think that the Hamarlik goal is a set play? That is the 3rd time I’ve seen that goal this year, Pleks got one the first game at the Bell Centre.  Player shoots wide off the back boards to a player WIDE OPEN  otherwise why was Hammer in so deep??

138. LA Loyalist says:

I think you look for the opportunity if it’s there, but the main point is to keep it away from the goalie and anything else is gravy. The problem is for everyone of those goals we get, we’re likely to give one up, also.

I’ve seen so many bizarre bounces this year off the boards and off the stanchions (various rinks) it must make the goalies crazy.

“tagline pending.”

139. Mattyleg says:

Yeah, lots of teams seem to be trying that one. It’s great when it works!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

140. dh says:

Maybe a dumb questions but when Darche got hit in the face with the stick, why wasn’t the faceoff in their zone?

141. le_vrai_jacques says:

Chris F. Lee

142. shiram says:

The commentators on RDS mentionned something about the d-men having passed the line when they had the faceoff afterwards, but i dont know beyond that.

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

143. mbplekfan says:

because the habs defencemen crossed the top of the faceoff circles to join in the scrum.

Rule says the faceoff moves outside the zone.

144. Hoegarden says:

Well, well ! So much for my plans to purchase a Dyson.

Good one !

145. LA Loyalist says:

Thank you for watching him so carefully. Is no one looking at video of him and coaching him? Or is he supposed to be auto-didacting? Where’s Roger Nielson when we need him?

146. krob1000 says:

lol started a few weeks back and I wanted to watch the centers to help out my little guy and the other centers I coach….was blown away by Pleks away from the puck and was surprisingly impressed at Eller too.  Start watching them whenever they are on the ice and it is a treat…especially Pleks.  Pleks has become a master at puck protection though and Eller is  very good too but Pleks has a ton of tricks with his body and often intiates contact with his butt to create his own space, he uses his legs and sticks them out, carries the pcuk as far away as he can while still being a threat, he turns his body to gain a millisecond (he is adept ont he ofrehand and backhand which helps in this case and eller is pretty decent ont he backhand too), he really makes the fact that he is a smaller guy irrelevant with his dedication to puck protection.  Eller does much of that too especially down low but I think he has got away with just being a big body as his puck protection, not in the NHL though.  If you notice though he does use every trick in the book from the hash marks down and controls the play down low like he is Mats Sundin…..but in the open ice crossing that blueline…yikes

147. Say Ash says:

See? You come to this site and learn something new. Don’t understand the rationale, though.

148. TheDagger says:

It’s meant to be a deterrent to offensive d-men coming in during scrums in front of the net after the whistle to keeps things more managable for the officials. They don’t want to lose their o-zone faceoff. Pretty effective I think.