Hamrlik unlikely to face Sens

The Gazette’s Pat Hickey reports that Canadiens defenceman Roman Hamrlik was sent home this morning with flu-like symptoms and is unlikely to face the Senators.

If he can’t play, Patrice Brisebois will take his place.

Michael Ryder remains a healthy scratch.

1. habs12345 says:

i think the player the habs are talking to atlanta about should be bobby holik not marian hossa holik would be far more valuable i believe to the habs during the playoffs and down the stretch of the season because of his defensive poise and assets i can see them giving a future holik type player in chipchura in return

2. The Teacher says:

well obviously contracts do expire ;)

3. Gooner says:

Lats would be OK if he didn’t skate like he had cement blocks on his feet. Also for his size he is a pretty soft player.

4. habs12345 says:

jeez that was simple i cant believe i didnt see that before anyway thanks for enlightening me

5. G-Man says:

Ladies and Gents, we have a winner! Excellent, ClaytonM! :D

Gilbert

6. Jonnyboy says:

nhl.com
    RTSS Player Stats

I can’t think of what RTSS stands for but thats what you want.

7. Chuck says:

Try the NHL.com stats page.

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

8. habs12345 says:

is there a site that anyone knows of that gives stats for (hits, blocked shots, faceoff%, fighting majors, minor pim;s etc.. ive been looking but it seems impossible

9. ClaytonM says:

Please be more specific. Are you talking about Lats or Ryder? :)

10. ClaytonM says:

This is like arguing between going to Akron or Des Moines for your vacation.

11. ClaytonM says:

He’s been getting shakier the last few games. Maybe the flu explains it.

12. slamtherimtim says:

they both suk

13. Shiloh says:

Well I guess he wants to be in the NHL – he has to be pinching himself every day.

14. gmd says:

From the game:

DEVELOP AHL PLAYERS 29 AHL teams the top developmental league for the NHL are exclusively featured and fully playable. Develop your talent with their minor affiliate until you are ready to call them up for the show. Be the GM and manage your team from the ground up while staying under the salary cap.

So the answer is yes.

15. Shiloh says:

Now you’re being funny – Ryder skates faster than Latendresse on one skate.

16. Chuck says:

I’ll be cheering him on, and not waiting for him to screw up. I’m fine with hoping that our players do well.

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

17. rogus says:

Maybe you missed the last Washington game? don’t get me wrong, he has some improving to do, but compare cost/age with Ryder and there is no comparison…take a look at game winning goals – and he’s still a kid!

18. Pay Julay says:

No kidding!!!! Ryder’s garbage, weak on the puck and looks like he doesn’t even belong in the NHL… can’t skate at all, is flatfooted as hell!!!

At least Lats comes to play every night and goes hard each shift. Granted sometimes he makes bonehead plays, but I would take Lats over Ryder right now any day.

19. The Teacher says:

where the heck DID my post go?

20. The Teacher says:

Man, I had a lengthy response typed out and it deleted on me. That sucks.

Here’s the cribs notes version

I never said no championships soon, but let’s concentrate on making the playoffs and winning at least two rounds before we get our undies in a bunch.
    Koivu is 33 and Kovalev is 34 on February 24th. They will be 36 respectively.

Might I invoke the names of

-Steve Yzerman
    -Joe Sakic
    -Chris Chelios
    -Nicklas Lidstrom
    -Adam Foote
    -Martin Brodeur

Just a few of the NHL players to play more than effectively at and past what the ages of Koivu and Kovalev will be at the end of 2009 (which is the year I’m shooting for btw). Who says we won’t choose to add to our team and let Kovalev go just like we did with Souray.

It’s about the team boys, not individuals. Give them time to grow.

The reason I even mentioned Huet’s name in a trade because it’s not too long ago a young goalie by the name of Cam Ward won a Cup.

I’m not a see-saw, I understand the season is long and not every mistake has to be crapped on. I also understand out needs, but I also understand you have to be prudent when making decisions, every one affects our long-term outlook.

If you’re looking for a semblance of the Habs in the 50′s, 60′s, and 70′s, this is the way to go, not to expend considerable assets for a one year try.

Core players may change, but the Team remains the same. My team is the HABS

GO HABS GO
    GO HABS GO
    GO HABS GO
    GO HABS GO

ok,maybe not so much a crib notes version

21. habfan53 says:

I left this on the game day one as well

Thought I would check out TSN’s Power Rankings. They have Kovalev as the 35th player overall @ 82.24 14th among wingers.
    The other Habs listed are
    Huet @ 82.03 6th among goalie
    Markov @ 80.37 7th among defencemen
    and Plekanec @ 79.12 18th among centremen this is the 1st time I’ve seen him make the list

22. CHsam says:

This is kinda off topic, but has anyone played NHL 08? I heard theres a farm system and you could play around with the farm team like Bulldogs.

23. Richard B says:

A deal must be almost done with Ryder,…

24. drecha says:

First of all , there is no need for you to be insulting. Second of all show me where I said that Kovalev should be suspended. If you can’t be nice then get lost because you seem to have a problem grasping what people are conveying. I said it was an elbow, wich means it was a penalty. End of story. I hope I wrote this in 3D so you can understand it.

The tank is full, now let’s map the route for the drive to 25!!

25. jew4jah says:

“these are the roles foresaw him filling this year”

wasn’t that before he started playing. now that he’s shown what a liability he is, the role should be sitting out.

26. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

I never said he didn’t connect with the elbow, and I don’t think KOVY denied it, but he didn’t raise the elbow and go charging across the ice and then jump from his feet LIKE CHARA DID TO KOVY….trying to decapitate, remember?

no suspension there.

If your assessing a penalty or suspension with a 2 dimensional view, then you can plainly say, “its an elbow”….but if you move to the 3 dimensional plain, (a higher intellectual level) then you notice the fact that when a skater is angled on a curve, he is in fact up to 12″ shorter!

recall the Kaberle hit…he was skating backwards and at a 70 degree slant, more than the leaning tower of PISA!!,, so shoulder now hits HEAD.

Same deal with HULLWIG…watch the replay in slow motion, he is at an ANGLE, KOVY is standing tall…result – ELBOW TO FACE.

NOT ELBOW RAISED TO HEAD.

thats the difference and why he isn’t suspended.

———
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev…..at his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”
    4. We will win the CUP in 2009

27. drecha says:

Like Krob said, I think if S. Kots had not returned to the game there may have been more from it, it does not make sense but the seems to be the trend in the NHL. No injury, No suspension. Stupid, I know.

The tank is full, now let’s map the route for the drive to 25!!

28. jew4jah says:

so far i’ve only heard the questions asked rhetorically, not in a press conference or interview.
    i really don’t understand how brisebois is on the team (again)

29. drecha says:

Sorry, but Kovalev elbowed him. I am not saying that I did not enjoy watching it, but it was an elbow.

The tank is full, now let’s map the route for the drive to 25!!

30. habfan53 says:

If thats the case I would really like to hear Campbell’s reasoning. As I said it is the second 5 minute major / game misconduct by Hollweg the other was January 5th against Edmonton

31. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

KOVY IS 100% accurate in his statement and is not trying to be sarcastic.

if that coward HULLWIG didn’t crouch down and back away in reverse and instead faced shoulder to shoulder like a man, it would have been a forgotten play…but instead he is a spinless idiot that is in the ‘mold’ (intentionally used that word but for the other meaning) of a “tucker” who likes to hit opportunistically when the opponent is not looking and against the boards. Sergie knows all about his cowardly tactics.

HE SAW KOVY COMING….big difference in what he did to our young star.
    ———
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev…..at his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”
    4. We will win the CUP in 2009

32. Shiloh says:

Oh, he rules alright – in fact he is magic. He has managed never to play a game in the minors despite the fact that he can’t skate, can’t shoot, can’t pass, doesn’t check and doesn’t fight and rarely hits (of course it’s hard to hit someone if you’re too slow to catch him). I would think his ratio of time of possession to minutes played is at or near the bottom of the league. He needs at least a season in Hamilton – maybe more. If he’s our future we’re in deep trouble.

33. drecha says:

The annoucement would usually come before the next game, unless they are playing back to back wich is not the case here. I think he is out of the woods.

The tank is full, now let’s map the route for the drive to 25!!

34. krob1000 says:

Based on the link above I got the impression that it was over with….I would figure they would mention if it was still up for review….maybe not though. I could be wrong as this is the only place I have sen this today anywhere.

35. drecha says:

You are right, I have been waiting for an annoucement for suspensions, I thought that Kovalev might get a game or two, thank God Kovalev is taller than Hollweg. LOL!!

The tank is full, now let’s map the route for the drive to 25!!

36. krob1000 says:

Who do they have ahead of us???

37. habfan53 says:

Has the league even decided yet? That one game suspension on Hollweg IS AUTOMATIC 2X 5 minute majors for boarding within a 41 game span.

38. von says:

Too bad O’Bryne still has that cast on his thumb… Breezer better man up tonight. If he can’t handle it, then throw Dandy back on D and let Ryder play!

39. krob1000 says:

I think if Sergei K had been hurt Hollweg would have got a six to eight game suspension and it would have probably forced the leagues hand to give Kovy one or two as well. I am just as happy with Hollweg getting one and Kovy playing against the Sens and Leafs.

40. Xtrahabsfan says:

If I was you I would look at the stats on goal and assist between the two,Lats rules…when was the last time Ryder won us a game,huh?

41. krob1000 says:

I’ll bet Vegas has noticed…I can’t check from here (corporate filtering software) but someone please tell me what the Habs odds are now in Vegas.

42. Chorske says:

OK, colour me worried. The Hammer has a way of steadying the Habs’ defensive play when he’s on. Time to see how deep we are on D.

And Hammer, cough into your goddammed sleeves for the next little while. We don’t need another meltdown, a la 2006-2007.

43. drecha says:

Kovelev’s response to that hit is priceless!! “I thought it was a clean hit. He’s just a little shorter than me. That’s why his face (was) at the same height as my elbow or my arm or whatever you call it.”
    LOL!! He got away with murder on that one!

The tank is full, now let’s map the route for the drive to 25!!

44. Chorske says:

LOL, cos the media haven’t been asking these questions?! ;)

45. habitual says:

Teach, I thought the first two sentences of your reply to Cournoyer12s post below did not fit with the rest of your post. I agreed with your last comments, but I think it is a fair question to ask, why not a cup this year.

If one answers, because Detroit is the class of the league, i would agree. If one said that we are lacking a hard nosed player with size who can play, say like Chris Neil, I would also agree.

But otherwise this team is for real. It can skate, it can pass, and when Huet is at the top of his game I put him in the top 6 goalies in the league. I think the Habs should be included in the teams that are Cup favourites. We are are far enough into the season that we can say the results so far are a fair represenation of the Habs talent.

46. Shiloh says:

Ryder sits while LaSlowesse dresses – ridiculous.

47. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

Your post clearly shows how complicated the game for GAINEY really is….

If Gainey and Carb bring back the CUP…it will be by a long and thoughtful road….not a ‘quick fix’ put forth by FANatics…
    ———
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev…..at his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”
    4. We will win the CUP in 2009

48. nightmare_49 says:

We haven’t seen any posts from Ian Cobb today , maybe he driving P.K.Subann in from Belleville on the school bus to play tonight for Hamy. Subann billets at Ian’s place in Belleville for those that didn’t know.

49. krob1000 says:

I don’t know if we’ll ever see Ryder play again for the Habs…..I wish he were used differently but how can we argue with being three points out of first place in the East. A trade would benefit us and him at the same time….those are trades that almost always happen.

50. krob1000 says:

I don’t even bother anymore. Have a great game Patrice.

51. Smart Dog says:

My heart says you are right – be nice to the guy. My brain says “why is here here? – it’s not that he’s lost a step, it’s that he’s lost a step AND does stupid things that break up the flow of the game.” I don’t love Dandenault or Streit on D, but I would take either in his place. Heck – put Ryder back there!! At least he throws the body now and then.

________________________________________________________________
    Habs Fans! The FUTURE looks bright:
    Plekanec, Higgins, Chipchura, A Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Latendress,
    Price, S Kostitsyn, Komisuarus, O’Byrne

52. Smart Dog says:

Let’s hope it doesn’t rain pucks. You’ve gotta think that Huet is going “oh shit”.

________________________________________________________________
    Habs Fans! The FUTURE looks bright:
    Plekanec, Higgins, Chipchura, A Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Latendress,
    Price, S Kostitsyn, Komisuarus, O’Byrne

53. coutNY says:

Hey I think we should give Breezer a break. Granted I wanted him him Waivered a couple of weeks ago, but these are the roles foresaw him filling this year (or at least until O’Bryne returns).

We saw how O’Bryne went through a few growing pains, which is expected in a rookie adjusting to the NHL level, but at this point, we’re trying to gain on the Eastern lead. Having vetran for insurance purposes, even one that lost a step, is a plus. Throwing in rookie D is a whole lot different than throwing out rookie forwards. Forwards mistakes don’t hurt as bad as a defensemans.

This is what he is here for let him play before we critisize too much…

54. krob1000 says:

Now, now Kovy…..you got lucky ….it was an elbow, a damn fine one…but it should have been a penalty for sure.

55. showey47 says:

a house doesn’t fold when you touch it, and just like breezer when things get stormy his game has plenty of leaks

56. G-Man says:

And if it’s missing some pegs, because there’s no stability there. Let’s hope it ain’t windy in the BC tonight! :)

Gilbert

57. The Teacher says:

Cournoyer12,

I think it is because we really understand where our team is at and are generally knowledgeable about the needs of team. We are also REALISTIC in our expectations. We know drafting and retaining core players at the same time adding parts that we need is the key to success. Especially in the cap world. We are also looking for consistent long term contending status, not a one year try.

We do not go hellbent on changing our team with a big trade that would be completely contrary to our philosophy. We do not aim to “shake things up” on a team that sits in 3rd place in the league, which vastly exceeds any expectations we may have had.

Sure, if we get into the playoffs anything can happen. But why gut a big part of your system to acquire someone who might only be here for 2-3 months? Even if we do trade for someone, will he really be RIGHT for us? We need cap space to sign our pending free agents this year and next (Mainly RFA) so I wouldn’t want to be doing that right now.

58. Ed says:

Not everybody agrees that it is good for Carbonneau to have the last change. He seems obsessed with it at home, and it sometimes backfire, whereas on the road he does not have last change, and the team seems to play better. On Sunday, our shut down guys just could not do it, and were all in the minus column. He should let the better players play, and not relegate them to the bench when the other team’s better players are on the ice.

59. drecha says:

Only if the tent has a hole in it!

The tank is full, now let’s map the route for the drive to 25!!

60. Smart Dog says:

Brisebois for Hamrlik. Like trading your house for a tent.

________________________________________________________________
    Habs Fans! The FUTURE looks bright:
    Plekanec, Higgins, Chipchura, A Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Latendress,
    Price, S Kostitsyn, Komisuarus, O’Byrne

61. habfan53 says:

I’m going to go out on a limb here a say the Breezer plays 10+ minutes plus PP total time 12:45,
    He WILL score on the Power Play and be +1 for the night.

As for all the scouts in town on the weekend They had a chance to see 3 teams sample Montreal night life and still be home Sunday.

62. HotHabs says:

It sure smells of a deal, doesn’t it? There’s no obvious reason why Ryder would not be playing, especially given the Breezer’s busted foot situation. Something’s coming down the pipe, or management is ticked off at Ryder cuz no other team wanted him and his play was making things worse! So, have another hotdog…

Cross your fingers whenever the Breezer is on the ice. Let’s be thankful the Sens’ lineup is depleted!!!

I still predict a win for the Habs tonight, despite my cynicism and fears.

enjoying the high’s of being a Habs fan

63. krob1000 says:

Good news is this is a home game so we will get last change and can match as we please. I hope Hammer is better for Saturday becasue the Sens could have both Alfie and Heatley in the lineup and last change…..Ouch.

64. nightmare_49 says:

La Presse is saying that Streit and Breezer will play together , Super Soft (heavy on the footsteps) , and right up Neil’s alley. If Breezer doesn’t keep it simple bring on Dandy.

65. drecha says:

I would rather have Ryder back in than Breezer on one foot! Hell even on two feet it can be scary!

The tank is full, now let’s map the route for the drive to 25!!

66. Rastaman says:

I was at the Habs/Isles game this weekend and actually thought the Koivu, Higgins, Ryder line looked as good as it has looked all year. Lots of energy and chances. Not sure why Ryder then became a healthy scratch? Also why would Carbo move Sergei off the kid line? That line stole us a point in Washington last week and is a great 3rd line that can score, check and be very tough to play against.

67. RS says:

Gee, maybe Ryder hasn’t been playing particularly well. Streit will be on the point no doubt. Either Breezer plays, Dandy drops back or someone is called up from Hamilton. None of these are great options. Get well soon Hammer.

68. Sulemaan says:

It could be worse you know. Heatley and Alfredsson could be playing. I’ll be there first to admit that I’m not a big Brisebois fan but if he has to play because Hamrlik is injured (and O’Byrne) then I hope he does well tonight and proves us naysayers wrong. I’m not holding my breath mind you…

With regards to the Canadiens being third overall C12, it’s great but some of us don’t want to get ahead of ourselves given what happened last year. The team was #4 overall at one point and we didn’t get invited to the big dance. If it was April 5 versus February 5, I’d be a lot more comfortable.

My biggest fear is that if Plekanec, Kovalev and A. Kostitsyn go silent or through a prolonged scoring slump, we are in trouble from an offense perspective because Koivu, Ryder and Higgins haven’t delivered to expectations (thus far) this year. They are all (not just Ryder) capable of a lot more.

69. RS says:

Missing one of our big three hurts. Can Markov and Komi play 35 minutes each tonight? I hope Gorges, Cube and Streit are up for a big game. Hopefully Breezer doesn’t cause too much trouble.

70. drecha says:

That seals it! Ryder not being inserted to the line up tonight despite Hamer’s injury tells me that he is involved in a trade that is still being negotiated. I think moving Streit to the point and Ryder on the wing would be what they would do normally, but this move smells a little suspicious to me. Something is cooking in Gainey’s kitchen!

The tank is full, now let’s map the route for the drive to 25!!

71. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

Spot Ottawa 2 goals RIGHT NOW BEFORE THE GAME STARTS,
    and sit the BREEZE OUT…same thing.

Move Streit to HAMRS spot insert RYDER and let the boys get to work.

ITS THAT SIMPLE CARB!!!!

———
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev…..at his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”
    4. We will win the CUP in 2009

72. jew4jah says:

it’s time for the media to start asking questions about brisebois no?
    what is he doing in the lineup?
    doesn’t he have a broken foot?
    does he really have a contract bonus for games played? how many?

73. T-roy West says:

Mybe now that the NHL and Habs management realize that we have a pretty good team and have just as much a chance to win the cup this year as any other team, Gainey will pull the trigger on a significant trade to win a cup this year.

74. Shiloh says:

OK – two players caught Latendresse on a clear breakaway….and one of them was (gasp!!!) Luke Richardson! Luke %$#$&^ Richardson!! I rest my case – he is slower than slow.

Well that pretty well sums it up – either something is going to go down soon with Ryder or he is totally toast with Carbo.

The Original 24 Cups

76. showey47 says:

omg, not breezer call up valentenko instead or matt carle.

77. rogus says:

I heard the Zamboni driver has a nifty slapper!

78. Woah_Dana says:

[Insert long drawn out sigh here.]

GO HABS!
    ~Sergei Kostitsyn, marry me!!

79. showey47 says:

looks like another night of crown royal from a paper bag. Trying to calm my nerves watching the breezer,lol

80. mbplekfan says:

Ryder is as good as gone, maybe BG is showing off Dandy for a package deal.

81. Corio says:

No NOT Breezer! :(

82. TC says:

Ryder sitting out his second game in a row is kind of surprising. Keep in mind that I am not defending his play, but if you are going to trade a player (and I don’t think I’m assuming too much when I say that Ryder is on the trading block), you would think that you are making it a little tougher on yourself, if you fail to showcase him for all the visiting scouts.

Listening to Ryder talking to the media today, I am stunned by his nonchalant attitiude towards sitting out, claiming “that it’s out of his hands”. I would much prefer if he showed much more emotion (like Dandenault) when he recently sat out. The fact that he doesn’t, is maybe an indication of his committment to the Canadiens, and more importantly to the game of hockey.

If you were an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year, you would think that you would be desperate to play, to showcase your ability, and maybe put yourself in a better postion at the end of the year, because at this point the better you play, the more money for you in the near future.

Either way, it’s funny how just a few months ago, some were bemoaning the fact that Gainey only signed Ryder to a one year contract. Can you imagine the outcry if he had signed Ryder to a multi-year deal?

T.C.
    tc.denault@habsworld.net

83. showey47 says:

Maybe he is days (or hours) from being traded and is being kept out of the lineup so he doesn’t get injured.

84. downeast hab says:

What is your definition of emotion,Ryder is not wanted by Carbo,point blank.If you look at his icetime and points, he is not the worse one on the team. But when you are not given the icetime then they cant expect points. You can bitch and ball all you like, he is not wanted by the Canadians,so the Quicker the deed is done then the quicker he can play for a coach. And maybe Halak is wishin he is in the deal too.Theres nothing any worse than someone stringing you along.

85. HabsInBlood says:

Interesting points here. What I don’t understand is what Ryder did to deserve being benched … this time. As I recall, he didn’t suck against the Isles, and for the first time that I can recall, he attached an opposing player after a dangerous check (i.e. the Higgins boarding call).

Maybe there is more to it than his recent play on the ice.

86. krob1000 says:

That was my gut feeling when I first heard it.

87. mbplekfan says:

BG could be negotiating a contract with Hossa and when that is done, the deal will finalize.

88. habsgod says:

if that’s the case then let’s hope higgins is not part of the deal!have you krob or showey heard who will be part of the package going to the thrashers?am correct in assuming that emelin,and picks and possibly chippchurra with ryder would go!!

89. G-Man says:

Ryder is toast and tonight we see how good our D is short one of our stalwarts. Interesting.

Gilbert

90. ganderhab says:

If anyone thinks that Smolinski is better on the PP than Ryder, it’s time they throw another rock of crack in the bowl.

91. T-roy West says:

Don’t be surprised if Atlanta uses Montreal as leverage and Hossa ends up playing with his brother in NY.

92. Woah_Dana says:

Lol honestly. I was just patting myself on the back for stowing away those pain killers I got when I had my wisdom teeth out. Time to dig them up so I can get through tonight’s game without ripping my hair out.

GO HABS!
    ~Sergei Kostitsyn, marry me!!

93. HotHabs says:

LOL!!!

enjoying the high’s of being a Habs fan

94. Morenz7 says:

Spot on. I was pretty shocked to see him in the scratch line Sunday. Yeah, he was typically uninventive with the puck against the Isles. But he showed the sort of mental commitment Gainey demanded when the GM called him out a few weeks ago.

Suggests to me whoever might be taking him—or the Canadiens themselves—don’t want him busting an ulna before the deal got done. Everyone’s going to wait til deadline day this year. So does that mean Ryder “rydes” the pine til the 26th?

95. TC says:

Michael Ryder has played 47 games, he has 18 points. To argue that he has been anything but a huge disappointment this year is illogical. Last year, when Ryder was scoring his usual 30 goals, Carbonneau had no trouble in playing him.

I would also argue that Ryder has been given a fair bit of ice time this season. The fact is that he currently has only one more goal this year than Mathieu Dandenault (who has only played one more game than Ryder).

Does Dandenault get the majority of his ice time on a line with Higgins and Koivu? No.

Ryder currently has 8 goals, Sergei Kostitsyn who has played in half the games has 6.

I think that the Habs are exploring trade options for Ryder. However, I would argue that the potential market for Ryder right now is a very small one indeed.

T.C.