Hamrlik to get contract offer: report

hamrlik

According to La Presse, the Canadiens will make a new contract offer to defenceman Roman Hamrlik.

Hamrlik’s agent, Petr Svoboda, confirmed to the newspaper that Canadiens general manager Pierre Gauthier would make an offer in the coming days, without commenting on a possible duration or value of the deal.

The native of Zlin, in the Czech Republic, played in 79 games for the Canadiens last season and has made it clear several times that he likes playing in Montreal and would like to continue his career here.

Hamrlik, 37, could become an unrestricted free agent on July 1 if no deal with the Canadiens is reached. The veteran is completing a four-year deal that paid him $5.5 million last season.

This follows on rumblings Tuesday that the Canadiens were close to re-signing Andrei Markov to a two-year deal, a report that was quickly dismissed by agent Don Meehan.

1. The Budz says:

Signing a slow plug like Hammer is the worst idea ever, we have a plug already named Spacek. Hammer can hardly skate anymore.

SIGN WIZ PG PLEASE! He’s only 27, has a cannon of a shot, a mean streak and he is not an old plug.

Markov, Wiz, Georges, PK, Gill and Emelin/Weber with Spacek bought out or in minors is amazing.

2. petefleet says:

From my perspective, signing Hammer for than one year would be a mistake. Giving him more than $1million would also be a mistake. There are four D men signed now. Add Markov and Gorges and that’s six. Sign the Wiz now to make seven…..he’s only 27 yrs old and has more upside than Weber. Sign Weber now and trade him later. There’s a resonable chance that either Spacek or Markov are going to get hurt anyway. If they get to Xmas with a full house, make a trade or write a cheque to pare it down. Worst case scenario, one of the new guys signed gets to play the second half and playoffs. The Habs are in a very envious position to have so much depth on the D man chart. If only there were some big strong centremen in the system.

***Habs Forever***

3. patience is a virtue says:

LOL. This thread will soon be dead and buried, but it was entertaining while it lasted. Two possibilities here IMHO, in order of likelihood:

1) Unsubstantiated rumour
    2) Hammer signs cheaper than Spac and Spac is traded for a pick to a team that needs to make the cap floor. However Spac has a no trade clause, so, not a likely scenario.

The Wiz is probably not signing in Mtl, and we have to consider whether he would really be worth what it would actually take to keep him here – $4.5-5.5M per for 3-4 years. After many injuries and seasons of bouncing around, the Wiz is going to cash in. There is a chance that he won’t repeat his elite offensive performance, which makes him a VERY expensive risk, considering his mediocre defensive game. PG doesn’t like to buy high.

Next season’s D:

Markov-Gorges
    Gill-Subban
    Emelin-Weber
    Spac

If Emelin proves himself, he moves up to play with Subban and Gill drops down to mentor Weber.

There’s also the possibility that the Habs trade Gorges’ rights for a pick and go hard after the well rounded, hard hitting Bieksa. If those ideals play out, we’d have:

Markov-Bieksa
    Emelin-Subban
    Gill-Weber
    Spac

That D would be one of the best all around in the league in terms of offense, defense and toughness.

• LeDave says:

patience, i like where you are going with Bieksa and i think he is exactly the player the Habs need on the blue line, but I doubt he even gets to July 1. He told the Vancouver papers he’ll take the ‘hometown’ discount to stay there. And to all those who love Hammer, he’s now 37, slow, and time to move on. Yes he did a fine job while he played in MTL, but he was also over paid the whole time he was here. He was average in Calgary before hand as well.

4. sally122 says:

I agree. They both play the left side and it seems unlikely he should be expected to get used to the NHL game and ice size AND play on his wrong side.
    I am seeking a good man who can give me real love , so i got a username Andromeda2002 on–s’e’ek’c’ou’ga’r.c óm–.it is the first and best club for y’ounger women and old’er men, or older women and y’ounger men,to int’eract with each other. Maybe you wanna ch’eck ‘it out or tell your friends!

5. HabsTrueBlue says:

@Mike D. You are adding words and meaning to what I wrote. What is so hard to understand? I think that a young player should make the team and prove he can play fulltime in the league before completely displacing a defenceman who was the team’s second leading (defence) scorer in the last 7 games that the team played. Weber and Yemelin may or may not be ready next year – nobody knows. If they are better than Hammer next year then Hammer will play less or sit and Weber and Yemelin will play more. Your comment about PK does not match up with my logic at all. PK proved he was ready for prime time and as a result his ice time kept increasing. You don’t have to make room for players with potential by gutting your team of proven veterans. Players who are ready force their way into the lineup. Signing Hammer does not mean that there is no room for Weber and Yemelin to play full-time if they are ready for it. Many people on this site harshly criticized Gainey for trading Huet to make room for blue-chip Carey Price. For two years everyone was saying that Gainey ruined Price’s career by anointing him as the starter. Well Weber and Yemelin are not blue-chippers and I think it makes sense to slowly work them into the lineup (ice-time and responsibilty-wise) vs handing them the reins before they are ready.

• Mike D says:

There’s a huge difference in playing goalie than there is playing D or forward so I don’t think comparing Price’s situation from a couple years ago to Weber’s and Yemelin’s today is accurate.

I’m not having a hard time understanding you. I realize that you and I have differing opinions (which is fine). What’s so hard for you to understand about that?

Regarding your point about Hammer being the 2nd leading point producer on our D in the playoffs, you completely ignored my counterpoint. Hammer had 137 MORE minutes of ice time than Weber did in the 1st round and had only 1 more point. And Weber wasn’t always playing his natural position as he was used as a forward at times. Regardless, 7 games is not a big sample size so neither of our points really hold a ton of water, but still.

Gutting our team of proven vets? The same team that already has Gill and Spacek signed for next year, with Markov likely to follow soon? Do we actually need more vets on our blue line? Of those 3 and Hammer, Markov is the only one with any speed and real offensive upside – just elite talent in general.

Signing Hammer in large part DOES mean there’s no room for Weber or Yemelin. You can’t take a player like Hammer who’s a respected professional, sign him, and them partway through the season tell him he’s gonna sit in the pressbox if he’s being outplayed. If you follow this team you know that’s not Montreal’s way of doing things. If they sign Hammer, the only way he sits is if he’s injured. As for the option of playing less ice time, you can only dress a limitted number of players per game. You can’t have an extra guy on the bench and put him in when Hammer looks tired.

We drafted Yemelin and Weber. Weber has paid and continues to pay his dues in the NHL and the AHL while Yemelin was gaining experience in the K. If you don’t give these guys a fair shake when it’s obvious they have potential you risk losing them. And for what? An aging vet who maybe has max 2 years left of being at least somewhat effective in this league? We paid Hammer 22mil over 4 years so it’s not like we used and abused him for peanuts and tossed him aside harshly. He was one of the highest paid Dmen in the league and was nowhere near one of the best. Effective? Yes; Solid? Yes; Hard-working, likeable, etc.? Yes; but not among the league’s elite.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a fan of Hamrlik. If he goes I will be sad to say goodbye. He was a good soldier for us and I appreciate it. I just think that the time has come to part ways with him and make room for one of our youngsters.

– Honestly yours

• HabsTrueBlue says:

Let’s be clear – I think that Weber has promise and potential. He was lighting up the AHL last year and I would have liked to have seen him get a bit more NHL ice-time than he did last year. He certainly hasn’t proven however that he is ready to take Hammer’s spot yet. In 41 games as a defenceman he had 11 points and at times he did seem to wilt when the physical play picked up. Obviously Martin and Gauthier didn’t think Weber was ready for more minutes (especially against physical teams) otherwise I don’t think they would have brought in Mara and Sopel. Weber did have some success in the playoffs as a forward and powerplay specialist. The fact he was used that way underlies that he was not more capable than Hammer at that time to be an everyday defender against a physical team in playoff hockey. You don’t replace a workhorse defender with a one-dimensional player which is what Weber has only proven to be so far (although I think he has the potential to be better).

I completely disagree with your premise that signing Hammer means that there’s no room for Weber or Yemelin if they demonstrate that they are better than Hammer when the season starts. Veterans can and do sit in the pressbox. Veterans can and do get their ice-time reduced. Mara was signed and he sat out regular season games and almost all the playoffs. Also if they can sign Hammer at low $ for 1 year he would probably be readily tradeable. Yemelin hasn’t even made the team or even played 1 NHL game yet you seem to want to clear the deck to make room for him? I prefer that he play his way onto the team.

I guess it depends on where you think the Habs are.

I see the Habs as the team that came closest to beating the Stanley Cup champion and that with some luck, fine-tuning and better performance next year (from Gomez, Subban, Pacs, Cami, Pleks, Desharnais, White, Eller, Markov, Gorges) they have a good chance to contend. Perhaps you see them as the 6th place team in their conference – a team that was only a few points away from not even making the playoffs. If that was my view then I would also say let’s just drop vets like Hammer and give the ice time to younger unproven developing and promising players.

6. slychard says:

Ok here it is. I like Hammer. The way he signed to come here. Why he came here. The reasons he came here. He’s a winner. No doubdt. He wants to sign for less to stay here. YOU! Yes YOU! Who do ya think you are? ‘he’s old’ FU in the worst possible way maggotts. Wow so simple. I played hockey to a high level so I know. Hammer is wroth it. HE DONT BITCH. Loyalty

• Talik Sanis says:

The reason that he came here was because we offered him more money than the Red Wings. The reason he wants to stay is because he loves playing here.

Neither really matters, in the end, nor does the fact that you or I like him. I think that almost everyone knows and acknowledges that he has slowed up; its not simply a matter of “he’s old,” but a matter of what we believe is, and can be rationally and reasonably argued as being, best for the organization.

Cheers.

• Mike D says:

sly, I like Hammer too and I could add a whole list of compliments for him in addition to the ones you mentioned. But explain to me why you think re-signing him would be a good move for a team that depends on speed and the transition game, who already has two older less-mobile dmen, a forward group who is near the league’s basement in goal scoring, and with younger dmen in the system who deserve a shot?

And let’s keep it civil please.

PS – writing things like “I played hockey at a high level so I know” usually has the opposite of it’s desired effect. Not trying to be an a-hole or anythnig, just saying.

– Honestly yours

• RickoIII says:

I personally like Hamrlik and believe he is a good mentor and a winner. I truly believe that veteran leadership for a guy that’s wants to be here is a good thing. If he signs for a much reduced contract, maybe 1.5 to 2 M keep him. I wish we signed Wiz for about 4.5, I think we could have kept him if we paid Markov 5 M for three years instead of the 2 year deal at 11.5. Nash is up and coming, we have Diaz and Yemelin so we have an abundance of D men, but as Vancouver proved last year – you can never have too many. We also need a couple of Bigger forwards. McNeil, Scheifele or Morrow for the draft and Zenon K from the Isles as our tough guy. If Svoboda can get us Jagr and Hammer for 4 M combined and incentives. Pouliot resign for the same rate, last chance. Go Habs Go

Ricko

• Mike D says:

If we were in need of veteran leadership, then that would be logical. But we already have Gill and Markov who bring that, PLUS Spacek who brings that too (and that’s just on the D core – we have vet forwards too). Do we really need another veteran leader on the blue line? Sure you can never have too much I guess, but I think we lose more by adding another vet leader on the blue line who’s playing ability is on the decline, than we could potentially gain by instead adding a younger player with potential like Yemelin or Weber.

– Honestly yours

• HardHabits says:

STFU. Who cares who you like. I always liked Hamrlik but his time is up. I was happy when he signed too. I always felt it was a bit too much money spent on him though. But now his 5.5 million is off the books. Its a chance to put the money to better use. The Habs have enough depth on defence and don’t need another veteran on the blue line. Signing him would not just be stagnation but a step back.

Stop thinking with your penis for a second and use your brain. Every argument in favour of not signing him is lucid. Every argument in favour of keeping him is based on pure emotion.

1 million, 1 year, 12 minutes per game. What’s the point? The Habs would be much better off trying to get something out of Picard.

• Chorske says:

Every argument that counters yours is met with insult and ridicule. You are truly an exemplary poster.

• HardHabits says:

This guy deserved it.

slychard

JUNE 23, 2011 12:20 AM AT 12:20 AM
          Hardhabit… Wow, u b a A-hole

meanwhile you call me a crybaby

you know what they say about people who live in glass houses

7. slychard says:

Hardhabit… Wow, u b a A-hole. Jesus yeah. Hammer deserves to remain a hab. Old? Not that much. Put hammer at less than 12 in a game? Powerhouse. Still has it in him. Healthy D next year? Good. If not should bad circumstances happen? You’ll be crying for Hammer. He’s a god. I thank him for him. He’s … Cool, he’s a cool dude. A good hockey player

8. phillyhab says:

Please don’t resign Hamrlik.

9. phillyhab says:

* * *
    Schadenfreude, a German word meaning “the pleasure one takes in the suffering of Torontonians.” -Boone

10. Mike D says:

I realize this is only a rumour which may turn out to have no validity, though it’s puzzling how it hasn’t been shot down yet given how fast the story was changed yesterday when the rumour was that Marky signed for 2 years. BUT….

Can someone, ANYONE, please explain to me why on earth Montreal retaining Hamrlik makes any sense or somehow betters the club? Honestly, I would love to discuss/debate this woth you all cuz I absolutely cannot fathom why this move would be made (again, assuming it’s true).

Look, I’m a fan of Hammer’s and I genuinely appreciate his efforts and the way he stepped up during his time as a Hab beyond reasonable expectations (though not beyond his pay-grade), but it’s abundently clear to me that this move is bad for the team.

I know I’m no expert and I don’t pretend to be, but I do think of myself as a smart and logical individual who knows a fair amount about hockey…at least from a fan’s perspective.

Please feel free to discuss and agree/disagree with me.

– Honestly yours

• HardHabits says:

It’s pretty much unanimous that Hamrlik shouldn’t be signed. The only people supporting this move are the people who have never once raised one critical bone of contention with the Habs management ever.

Some people here are reasonable and see things logically with thought and analysis. Then there are those who adhere to the Habs dogma like an indoctrinated religious fundamentalist.

The reasonable people question whether signing Hamrlik is a good thing. The people with a lack of a capacity for free thinking would give Hamrlik half what he made for 2 more years.

It makes no difference really as the Bell Centre will sell out regardless of how small, old or soft the team is. One thing for sure is the team will be old, small and soft for years to come. And just when the Habs have a chance to rebuild the team they’ll go on a spending spree and stock the team with more old, soft and small players.

When you’ve won 24 Cups you can be middle of the pack for the rest of eternity and still pretend to be champions to your fans.

• Mike D says:

I could be somewhat more understanding of this possible move if there were a limited number of players in the organization capable of playing in the NHL, or if there were a thin group of FA dmen this summer, or if we had minimal cap space and Hammer was willing to sign for that right amount……but…….

We already have Gill, Subban, Spacek and Yemelin signed. That’s 4. It’s assumed and likely we’re going to sign Marky and Gorges which gives us 6. We have the option to (and I think and hope we will) sign Weber which gives us 7. Plus there’s the Wiz debate which would give us 8 – all of which not including Hammer and not looking any further than our own organization. Sure Yemelin and Weber *might* be considered question marks to make and stay with the big club, but it’s reasonable to assume at least one of them can. There could also be players in Hamilton ready to make a push. This isn’t even factoring in the many options available through free agency this year, not to mention that we have the cap space to make any of these options possible.

We’re supposed to get younger, faster, and more mobile on the back end and we’re not addressing any of this by keeping Hammer. Why not give the kids a chance to develop? If nothing else, Weber and Yemmy have potential at the very least. Shouldn’t we be exploring that?

– Honestly yours

• Chorske says:

As I said below, assuming this rumour is true- big IF- the only way this makes sense is if Hamrlik is being offered a short-term deal for less than $2M, and the plan is to use him less than 15 min a game. Some folks on here have short memories, but I remember him as a steady veteran presence who played an important role in getting the Habs to the third round in 09-10. Is he old? Yes. Did he lay an egg vs the Bruins? I think so. Was he burned out from overuse? Yes. Can he contribute meaningfully if his ice time is managed downwards? Maybe.

Of course, as HH points out in his gentle, erudite way, take everything on here with a grain of salt. We all have our biases. For instance, I for one am willing to bet the farm that there is zero percent chance of Wizniewski signing here, PG knows it, and he is making decisions based on that knowledge. I’ll eat my crow if he signs with us. But it won’t happen. So adding Hamrlik with a short term end of career contract for under $2M gives you a vet workhorse who can put up a few points as long as he is managed right.

• Mike D says:

I hear ya Chorske, but consider this…not even factoring in Wiz:

It’s not just the (reasonable) salary Hammer might take up on our cap, it’s the roster spot. He’s not gonna be a 7th guy sitting in the box. If he’s signed, he’s playing unless he gets hurt. That’s a spot that won’t go to Weber, or Yemelin, or Nash, or a better FA dman.

As for the vet thing, an argument could be made if we didn’t already have Gill and Spacek on the roster. I personally don’t think there’s a benefit in having more than 1 grey-beard, unless of course they play like Lidstrom. Gill is still good defensively and is a leader on the team. Spacek is totally not needed on this team IMO (sorry Spatch, no offense intended). If it was between Hammer and Spatch, then I’d take Hammer, but the fact is we have Spacek PLUS Gill already signed. And let’s not forget that Marky is also a vet. He may not be past his prime like some others, but he’s certainly a vet and an elite talent to boot.

– Honestly yours

• HabsTrueBlue says:

Look I don’t want Weber, or Yemelin, or Nash being played instead of Hammer unless they are able to match or outplay him. Hammer scored more points than all Habs defenders in the playoffs except for Subban (yes more than Wiz). Weber was not ready for prime-time this past year/playoffs which is why Hammer played big minutes and Weber was used sparingly. Maybe Weber will be ready to fully take a spot in Sept; maybe he won’t. Yemelin could easily not make the team and head back to the KHL. Counting on Nash at this stage makes no sense. The youngsters should only play when they are ready. As for a better FA defender. If we can’t sign our own FA Wiz what makes you think we can sign another calibre FA defender? Nothing is wrong with a 1 year low $$ offer.

• Mike D says:

What makes you so sure that Weber or Yemelin couldn’t provide more value to the club if they had more opportunity via a fulltime roster spot? As for this past years playoffs, Hammer had one more point than Weber, but played in 4 more games. Hammer’s average TOI was also 15 min. higher than Weber’s. That’s the offense. Hammer was a -1, while Weber was a +1. If I’m not mistaken, Weber also spent a good portion of his time playing forward which isn’t even his natural position.

Look, I’m not saying Weber (or Yemelin or anyone) is going to be better than Hammer right from game 1, but don’t exclude the possibility of them overtaking him during the season. At certain points last year Hammer may have been playing better than PK. By your logic, was Hammer then more valuable to the team than PK was? You gotta make room for players with potential to live up to it. How are we doing that with your method?

As for Wiz, why do you assume we definitely CAN’T sign him? You may or may not be right, but why assume we can’t? Maybe Wiz just wants the biggest contract….or maybe he has his eye on a team and thinks they will make a him a fair offer? Lots of possibilities there. Besides, what the hell does that have to do with other FA’s wanting to sign here or not?

– Honestly yours

• Talik Sanis says:

While I may have been more vehement in expressing my distaste for re-signing Hamrlik than you, I agree with your sentiments. No one should doubt that Hamrlik has served us well in the past (and failed us in the past, almost every player does both) but he showed us that his time has passed, especially in our system; its time that we pass him and move on to a hopefully brighter future.

Edit- After I posted this, I scrolled up to the top of the page and, looking at Hamrlik’s picture, I realized that I will miss him when he’s gone. It is my belief that his leaving is, by far, a good thing for the team, but sentimentality strikes me just the same. He wants to don the CH once again and to end his career here, but, for fans and management alike, realizing what is best for the club, and then doing it, is more important than any single player, no matter what we feel for them.

• Mike D says:

Great post Talik!

Yes, Hamrlik served us well and wore the CH with pride. There’s no doubt about that. He’s a good, honest, hard-working player and when a guy like that lets it be known that he wants to finish his career with your team, it’s a compliment to the team, the city, and the fans. A true compliment, in fact.

I too would be sad to see Hammer go and I would absolutely wish him well with the rest of his career. Like you, that pic of Hammer smiling makes him all the more endearing. FWIW, I also like Spatch as a person. Similarly to Hammer, he always gives his all and is a real pro. Unfortunately, the time has come for us to move on from these guys and make room for the youngsters in our organizaton that we actually drafted.

Hell, if we can walk away from Saku after all his years with us, drafting him, his excellent service, being our captain, everything he did for the city, everything he went through right in front of our eyes, etc., then we can walk away from anyone….with less guilt.

– Honestly yours

If there is any reason to not want Hamrlik back it is this play. For that matter Gomez should just go away too.

• Sharks9 says:

Replay shows it hits him in the neck, I agree he should’ve gotten back up but it wasn’t a dive.

25 before 14

• HardHabits says:

It was weak. I have been watching tape from that series and it’s almost all Hamrlik getting tossed and slapped around.

I was so happy not to just get his cap hit off the books but to replace him with a younger more able body.

12. CHsam says:

Actually now that I think about it, why isn’t PG offering a cheaper deal to Sopel or Mara, instead of Hammer ??

• GUNKA DIN says:

my bet is that the Hammer is gonna sign a deal at about half last year’s deal. He wants to play and at his age the value drops a lot?

Nobody is ever gonna beat Henri Richard’s record for Cup rings.

13. petefleet says:

If PG offers Hammer a contract, it had better be a one year, 1 million deal. He’s not worth more than that but he would be useful in the room. He could carry him as a #7 d-man and play him sparingly. Any other scenario would be bad for the team and would delay the development of a potential up and comer, whoever that may be.
    On the other hand, he should sign Wiz and Markov. That would give the Habs a very solid defense for the coming year.

***Habs Forever***

14. Mark C says:

This might have been the best tread ever on the new HIO. The overreaction to ONE writer’s report that Hamrlik WOULD get an offer, but hasn’t yet is good stuff. The mass outrage over this rumor of something that hasn’t even happened yet, if it will at all, has been comic gold. Good work everyone.

15. slychard says:

Jeeez relax, Hammer is and would be a good inclusion should we get rid of Spacek, whoom I beleive is a good guy BUT has slowed the minute he came to us from Buffalo. Have nothing againts Spacek being with the team ( in a way ) but sans Hammer. In other words 3 ‘geezers’ like Gill, Spacek and Hammer is NOT what we need this coming season. There are at least 3 big young deserving D men in Hamilton that could easily fill the spots. Gill and Hammer and Markov (healthy) YES.

16. Sharks9 says:

On the Habs site there’s a poll asking who you think the Habs will sign next. The options?
    Markov
    Gorges
    Wisniewski
    Weber
    White

Even the Habs site doesn’t think we’ll re-sign Hamrlik! I just keep hoping this rumour is just a rumour…

25 before 14

17. habstrinifan says:

OMG! This Hammr thread brought out the best comedy in HIO. I cant stop laughing.

Now I really really really want PG to sign Hammrlik. Heck while he’s at it extend Gomez’s contract and give Pouliot a big fat raise.

The reaction would be gloriously funny reading.

Come on PG go crazy! It’s just Canada’s greatest sports insitution you are fooling with.

18. Aaron13 says:

At the end of the season, Hamrlik said he’d retire. Now he wants to play. Against Boston, he was not able to cover their forwards in front of the net. He got caught up ice while the B’s forwards skated by him. He’s not worth re-signing even at a discount price.

As for Wiz, he coughs up the puck too many times. He’s not worth 5 mil.

Sopel was a solid stay-at-home defenceman even though he’s 34.

Surely PG can find a couple of D-men to fill the spots of Hamrlik and Wiz and save some money for a power forward.

As for Gomez, he’s not a scorer. He’s a good skater and passer. We need someone who will mesh with him if that’s possible.

19. Chorske says:

Jaysus, what a bunch of yentes on here today. This is perfectly fine, with a few caveats: a) it’s not for longer than 1 year, b) it’s for less than 2 million, c) he doesn’t get used for more than 10 min per game, except in extremis.

As for how this affects our ability to get a Top Six forward… who we talking about here? Richards won’t sign here. And after him, who is there? You guys don’t seriously think Brooks Laich is going to solve all our problems, do you?

And as for Wiz: say goodbye. He’s gone. He’ll sign with Boston or Detroit. Do yourselves a favor, be realistic, and understand that there was no way we can pay this guy what he will be offered on the open market.

• HardHabits says:

Hmm let me see. Hamrlik makes 5.5 million per year. Markov makes 5.75 million. That’s more than enough to sign Wisnieski with spare change. Trade Spacek and Markov can be signed as well.

It’s not like the extra offence the Habs need to be a contender will be coming from the forwards so why not from the blue-line.

Signing Hamrlik = stupidity.
      Not signing Wisniewski = even greater stupidity.

If you think for a second that a re-signed Hamrlik is going to play less than 18 minutes per game in all situations with JM-I-love-my-veterans as coach you’ve been watching another team all last season.

Hamrlik is old, slow and as many people have pointed out the new poster boy for standing around while the opposition scores. Hal Gill got 2.25 million. Hamrlik will get Spacek money knowing PG.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

“with JM-I-love-my-veterans as coach you’ve been watching another team all last season.”

The season I watched included significant contributions from:

Subban (Rookie)
        Eller (Rookie)
        Pacioretty (Sophmore)
        White (Rookie)
        Weber (Rookie)
        Desharnais (Rookie)
        Pouliot (3rd Year)
        Price (3rd Year)

• Chorske says:

Exactly. Totally agree.

These same hacks mourned Boucher, bitched about PG and JM and their alleged preference for older players, and thought Cunneyworth would ruin the youth movement. But there is no evidence for it: the Habs young players saved the season last year. And some of the youthful prospects we thought we’d lost have come back- that means you, Yemelin and Trotter- perhaps because they smell opportunity? And yet the bleating continues about how badly he Habs treat their prospects. It’s horsecrap.

• HardHabits says:

You like making stuff up.

Nobody said anything about Cunneyworth other than his coaching has made the transition for the call-ups more seamless as opposed to Boucher.

Trotter is 5’10 and 180 pounds. We have enough small players to stock the league with one per team. Brock Trotter. Wow. Now I am excited.

Yemelin was never here to begin with so get your facts straight. You confusing him with Perezhogin maybe?

The people who bleet are the sheep. In other words all those who agree that Hamrlik should be extended an offer. Bleet on Chor-sheep.

• Chorske says:

Say rather that they have returned to the fold then, for the sake of accuracy. The main message of the post remains: some posters do nothing but complain about the organization, typically resorting to tired myths and cliches to make their points. The Habs are small! Old! They don’t develop their youth! Pff. It is so much easier to throw up one’s hands and spout cliches than it is to actually discuss and debate things rationally.

For what it’s worth, I have posted my share of criticisms of the BG/PG era Habs over the years. But I choose to do so in a way that doesn’t make me sound like a crybaby.

• Talik Sanis says:

I apologize in advance for how long this is going to be.

Subban (Rookie) – He saw lots of minutes very early on in the season, but was reduced to a 5th/6th defenseman due to his errors, with little appearance of being able to climb out of that spot. Only injuries to Markov and Gorges forced Martin to increase his ice time, allowing him to properly develop. If Gorges hadn’t gone down, would we ever have seen Subban given significant penalty kill time, thus allowing him to become the shut down defenseman we saw in the playoffs? Not likely in my opinion.

Eller (Rookie) – He played fourth line minutes for most of the year and was benched in games after making errors or when we needed a goal (even at times when he seemed like he was on fire). He also saw almost no power play time, in favor of Darche. I love Darche and he played a role, but Eller was robbed of potential development, especially before Pacioretty was recalled/ after he was injured.

White (Rookie) – Forth line minutes. He was forced to play due to the Lapiere trade, injuries and Pyatt’s lack of physicality and scoring ability.

Weber (Rookie) – He spent more even strength time as a forward than as a defenseman down the stretch. With all the injuries (and especially when Spacek was floundering in the playoffs) he was still prevented from playing reasonable minutes in his actual position.

Desharnais (Rookie) – He was given fourth line minutes and power play time. During one of Gomez’s worst periods in the season, Desharnais led the team in points that month, but was not rewarded with better line mates or a reasonable increase in ice time.

Pouliot (3rd Year) Really? He was glued to the bench for errors both grosse and small, while other older players were not. He lost his second line position to Moen extraordinarily quickly, without seeing over a few games if he could really preform there, and was not given the opportunity to return even when Moen proved he could not be a top six player.

Price (3rd Year) – And Martin was supposed to play Auld? As with Subban after the injuries to Gorges and Markov, there was no choice in the matter.

Lastly, the issue here is not just young players being in the lineup, or even the minutes they play, rather it is about how Martin disciplines and utilizes his veterans versus his young players. He will bench or sit out a younger player for errors, but reward stumbling veterans with more ice time. Spacek and Sopel looked disastrous every time they were on the ice in the playoffs, but Martin insisted on playing Spacek. Gomez slumped for a long time, but was never in any danger of being sat for a while, with greater ice time given over to Eller, who was gelling with Kostitsyn, or Desharnais, who was exploding at the time.

Hamrlik would be counted on far too much, as he was this year, and Weber or Yemelin would not be allowed to play, make mistakes and learn, developing properly in their actual positions.

• Chorske says:

Another thoughtful post.

This argument comes up a lot- why bench Eller and not Gomez? The answer is that you don’t manage everyone equally- you can’t manage and discipline your old guys the same way you manage and discipline the young (this is true in many areas of life). The Habs are not the only team to do this, by the way. It seems unfair, vets being allowed to play their way through slumps while promising kids ride the pine. But the needs of the two groups are different.

Pouliot sucks. But I certainly don’t see any evidence that the development of the other players has been stunted by lack of opportunity- the fact that these opportunities came up because of trades and injuries is irrelevant, a fact of life in hockey. In fact, if anything, Price’s development was slowed by being made #1 too early.

Your last paragraph is a bit dismal. Wait and see. Weber is developing just fine. Yemelin will too (hopefully two extra years of Russian hockey hasn’t ruined him).

• Talik Sanis says:

@Chorske

I really hate this “you can’t can’t chain more than five replies” thing. It really hurts interesting discussions.

I do understand, and indeed agree, with some degree of difference in the manner in which a coach treats veterans and rookies. Further, I agree completely that it is done throughout the league. However, I still believe that Martin’s personal preferences in this regard are more stringent with respect to rookies/young players, than is common or beneficial. Some modification to ice time when Gomez was in a prolonged slump, or even shifting players in the lineup, would have been reasonable to me, rather than standing pat.

I also believe that the circumstances which dictate increased ice time for young players are critical. Being forced to play Subban, and letting him play through his mistakes to develop, rather than allowing him to do so are very different things, and each shows a very different mind-set on the part of the coach.

Also, Price’s play suffered, I believe, because he had a poor goaltending coach, who attempted to change Price’s style and technique. The resulting decrease in his ability to play and his loss of confidence created a self perpetuating downward spiral. We may never be certain if it was too much responsibility or poor coaching that held back his development.

My last paragraph wasn’t meant to be dismal. I do believe that Yemelin will see time in the pressbox, however, and will be shifted around in the lineup. He will have painful adjustment to North American Hockey, even if he is ready, in my opinion, for regular minutes and pk time. I do fear for Weber, though. I would like to see him get some regular shifts with Gill. It did wonders for both Gorges and Subban, so I’d like to take advantage of Gill’s on ice tutelage in what will likely be his last year on the team.

Cheers.

• Chorske says:

You’re assuming Wiz WANTS to sign here. You’re assuming we have more to offer him than other teams. This is Wiz’s cash-in year, and someone will throw him crazy term and big bucks. Barring any major shift in the Habs cap sitch (i.e., Gomez to Florida), the Habs will be outbid. There are teams that need an offensive Dman, and have huge cap space (i.e. the Bruins). We already have two offensive Dmen (Subban and Markov), and we have some big pieces to sign in the coming years. We can’t afford Wiz.

• Talik Sanis says:

HH is exactly right. This is a Martin coached team; Hamrlik will never play limited minutes. He’ll be leaned on heavily (if/when Markov is injured) and buckle under the weight, as he showed this year.

Further, no one here ever said or thought that Laich would “solve all our problems.” However, signing him would make the team better. Hartnell or another top six forward would make the team better. Signing Wisniewski (if he’s willing and reasonable) would make the team better. Signing an impact free agent defenseman would make the team better.

Signing Hamrlik does not make us better. It maintains the status quo, and potentially makes us worse than we were last year, as Hamrlik’s flaws become more pronounced.

• Chorske says:

Ack. I am not convinced. This sounds suspiciously like the typical “any move is better than no move” nonsense that floods this site, every year, in the leadup to July 1. I just don’t buy it.

Getting Laich isn’t even practical: who does he replace at C? Pleks? No. Eller? No. Gomez? Sure, but what do you do with Gomez? Desharnais? We JUST SIGNED HIM, it isn’t so he’ll sit on the bench. I don’t buy the Laich idea at all.

Hartnell isn’t a free agent.

If you sort the UFA defensemen by 2010-2011 points, Hammer is sixth best. His +6 is substantially better than Wiz’s -14. The others are guys like Kaberle and Pitkanen and frankly I’ll take Hammer over those two.

• Talik Sanis says:

What I said, and what I’m saying, is simply that there are moves that can make us better. Of course we shouldn’t make a move for the sake of it, but with the mind to improve our team. Signing Hamrlik does not accomplish this. It makes us weaker in the long run, and doesn’t address our real needs.

Laich plays all forward positions, not just centre, and could slot into the top right wing position. This adds size to the top line, allows Kostitsyn to explore his chemistry with Eller and feast on lesser competition. Laich was, however, merely an example of a player who could make us better. I chose him specifically because you mentioned him in your first post as someone believed to be able to solve all our problems, rather than simply improving our team. Also, if at all possible, Desharnais should be converted to wing. He lacks the ideal size and skills to play a fourth line center and I would like to see him tried for some time with Eller on the third line.

I never meant to suggest that Harnell is a free agent. He is, however, available due to the Flyers cap troubles. There has been speculation about him here over the past few weeks, as he fits the power forward mold and is the type of player we are collectively interested in.

Wisnuiski may have been a -14, but he was a plus 4 on the Canadiens. He accumulated his minus total with the Islanders (who wouldn’t?). Extrapolated over the whole season with the Canadiens (granted though he was somewhat protected) he would have a better plus rating than Hamrlik.

Further, point totals are not the only means by which to judge Hamrlik’s value to the team in comparison with other UFA defensemen. After all, with Markov’s return and Hamrlik’s likely vast decrease in power play time next year, he will not repeat his totals from this year. It was evident down the stretch that his age was catching up to him and his defensive play was suffering. Other UFAs (depending on who we’re talking about) would not necessarily suffer from this and preform better defensively.

edit – Wow. I didn’t mean to go on rambling like that.

• HardHabits says:

Talk about blowing Chorske’s arguments out of the water. Good reply TS. We need more of those here.

• Chorske says:

Fair enough, these are good arguments (see HH? It can be done). See my caveats above and below regarding the conditions under which this deal makes sense.

While we disagree about Wiz (mostly about the likelihood of him being remotely interested in signing with the Habs), we agree about the need for a robust top six forward- especially on the right wing. I’m just not sure Laich is that guy.

20. TorontoHabsFan says:

God, Skinner is just about the youngest looking NHLer that I can remember ever seeing…even younger than Bure!

21. doug19 says:

Hey remember Breezer? I am happy to have Hammer on Habs.

22. doug19 says:

Hammer can put it together and has size. Lidstrom is older isn’t he? I say sign everyone as you can not get much in a trade if players are not signed.

23. slychard says:

Wow many resonses on this thread. Here’s my take on Hammer’s possible signing. If it’s less than 2.5 mill for one year I say yes. Yes only if PG dumps Spacek off to another team or eats the last year of his contract in Hamilton. Even a buy out of the last year would… Oh no they can’t over 35 at signing so. .. But hammer at less money is a smart keep IMO. Hammer is SOLID and if our D stays healthy next season and he plays, 12 minutes per game tops he would be awesome. But we can’t keep Spacek. Thank you all

• TorontoHabsFan says:

That’s sort of how I feel too. If he’s a cheaper Spacek (bottom pairing guy), then that’s awesome. If he comes in for $2m or so I’d be very okay with that. Especially as it would leave money for a top 6 winger (maybe opens up the cap space to make that trade for Hartnell? Or sign Laich?)

Dunno how he gets rid of Spacek’s contract though (for the record, I don’t think Spacek is as awful as some make him out to be – he’s just making a little too much for what he brings).

cheers

The good news is my dream of the Habs entering the draft lottery will probably come to fruition with PG at the helm.

So go ahead PG. Sign Hamrlik. Sign up Pyatt and Pouliot too. Don’t acquire a top 6 forward. Let Wisniewski walk. Extend JM for another 3 years.

It’s not like you ever built a championship team before.

And JM. Keep over playing your veterans. Make sure Gomez get’s to play with every possible permutation of forward combinations your little black pad can muster. Price should get 82 starts as well.

Forget about scoring. Concentrate on the power play, the penalty kill and goal-tending to eke out those 2-1 and 1-0 victories. If the Habs can let in a few less goals they just might crack the top 10 over-all and be the lowest scoring team to ever make the play-offs. Woohoo!!!!

At this rate Toronto, Edmonton and Ottawa will make Cup appearance before the Habs do.

25. CHsam says:

Forget Wiz. Sign Hammer, save dough. Go for John Tavares next summer. You heard it here first e4

26. DEANDALLEY says:

Why would the Habs waste valuable $$$ on Hammer?

It is stupid to even give him an offer

27. SnowManHabs85 says:

C’mon, would you rather take a 6’2 dmen or 5’11 dmen? Ya’ll have been talking about getting players with size, old as Hammer is, he stil has the size to shutdown players. Besides, we have Subban, Weber, Diaz, Spacek to help out with the pp and maybe Markov.

Wiz was a temp solution after we lost Markov and Subban didn’t exactly got his shot until in mid season to help with pp. Subban and Weber can fire bullets in the back end. Besides, Vancouver proved last season, that having too much veteran dmen isn’t a bad thing.

“Responding to the media , or playing to the media, or listening to the fans is the quickest way to start losing” – Sam Pollock

28. Newf_Habster says:

WTF!

I would choose the Wiz over this old fart!

29. solomio says:

Don’t know why you guys think that Gorges is a shoe in. Got my doubts about that. And definitely Wiz over Gorges anyday of the week.

• Mr. Biter says:

Definatly would go with that if possible to keep Wiz over Georges and that may allow us to keep both Wiz & Markov, however we still need muscle and size and meaness from one new player. Also Eller will become a 2nd. line player within 2 years. Anyone who pops his own shoulder in to return vs. the Broons has earned his stripes and I see a bright future for him. BP is see a dim future with another team.

Mr. Biter

30. AK_PK_Usay says:

Bringing back Hammer makes no sense, enough old slow Dmen

31. TorontoHabsFan says:

Re-signing Hamrlik seems off to me. The only way it makes sense to me is if either 1) Markov isn’t actually coming back (unlikely in my opinion) or 2) Hamrlik will come pretty cheap which makes Spacek expendable thus freeing up money for a top line winger. (which of course also means that Gauthier is able to find a taker for Spacek)

Hmm…it certainly would seem to spell the end of Wisniewski – perhaps Wisniewski’s camp let it be known that they’re going to test the market? (not unexpected really)

32. Auscan says:

That is only a rumour that Richard Labbe from LaPresse started to compete with Tony Marinaro. We all know about Labbe and his rumours like the one about the Kostitsyn brothers and Hamrlik having a relation with drug dealers…
    I believe Marinaro about Markov signing for 2 years as he is far more credible than Labbe!
    The French Media click always need to feel important so that’s what they come up with!

33. Auscan says:

Montreal cannot let Wiz walk away, he is far too talented and important to the team. Pierre Gauthier and Jacques Martin did say that they would have a younger blueline next season…With Gill and Spacek already signed, they will not get younger if they re-sign Hamrlik!!!
    Let’s leave some room for the young guns such as Weber, Emelin, Diaz and Nash…Go Habs Go!

34. emann_222 says:

I can’t say that I’m overly surprised at this happening. After all, If Markov and Gorges both re-sign, there would be no room for Wisniewski. The other thing that I have to keep reminding myself is – I don’t know all the ins and outs of what’s being negotiated behind closed doors – so it will all make sense soon enough.

For more thoughts on PG’s moves thus far – please visit (http://wp.me/p1n6pU-3f) “Canadiens Off-Season Puzzle is Coming Together” and leave your thoughts!

Visit me at http://www.bleedbleublancrouge.wordpress.com and http://www.thehockeywriters.com

35. habs03 says:

If your going to spend 5+ on Wiz on a long contact, you might as well offer that money to a more complete D-man like Pitkanen, or Ehrhoff. With Markov and Subban back, you would be using Wiz on the second PP unit which would be a waste because that’s where he excels. Plus Wiz knows this is his pay day, and we’ll take the best offer given to him (rightful so), only way I see him taken a discount is if it is somewhere he can golf all season long.

• thorandresson says:

of course!

I think the only reason Wiz is still in the picture, is in case Markov doesn’t sign (for whatever reason) it also gives PG a bit of a bargaining chip with Markov’s agent. Once Markov signs I’d expect the Wiz to be traded for a pick (maybe a 3rd rounder?) hopefully this all happens before the draft

• Bugs says:

Disagree.
      Pitkanen had 35pts in 72 games and Jimmy 51 in 75. Whatever defensive liabilities some folks say Jimmy has (which I disagree with too) is totally overridden by a near 20pt differential.
      As for Erhoff, it’s 50pts in 79 games. Pretty equal. And I’ve always maintained that better to have the devil you DO know than the devil you don’t.
      Only significant difference some will point to is the +/- stat, with the Canuck at +19 and Jimmy +4 (in Mtl).
      If the quality of offensive potential on said club is NOT to be factored in, then consider that Erhoff was -12 his last year in SJ. Hardly means nuthin. If we scored 8 goals a game but always let in 6, Jimmy would be somewhere around +75 end of the year but wouldn’t make’m any better on D.
      Point is: the grass is just as green here as it is there.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

36. thorandresson says:

Don’t know why so many people are upset about the Hamrlik offer, he’s been very serviceable he played 95% of the games for the Habs the last 4 years, he can be trusted to play different roles (PK, PP…) he’s a veteran leader on the team and he’s expressed that he would like to end his career in Montreal, I think it’s a classy move by PG to make him an offer and he probably has 1 or 2 more years left in the tank.

• Talik Sanis says:

- He has slowed up considerably over the past few years.
      – His offensive abilities (and usefulness on the power play) have lessened due to his lost foot speed, making his pinches all ill-advised.
      – His role as a penalty killer is superfluous, as we now have Gill, Subban, Gorges and Yemelin.
      – The grind of the season wears him down, thus his play deteriorates when he is needed most.
      – If Markov is re-injured, Martin’s tendency to lean on veterans will cause Hamrlik’s minutes to skyrocket, thus resulting in a greater diminishment in his play down the stretch.
      – His presence means that some of our younger defensemen will likely be sitting in the pressbox, rather than developing into (potentially) competent NHlers, thus harming our organization in the long term.
      – If we lack a commitment to developing our younger players, his salary (and roster spot) could be better spent bringing in one of the more attractive, younger, free agent defensemen that will likely test the market.
      -His salary, depending on what it is, could potentially be used to bring in an impact forward.
      – With Gill and Spacek we are already old and slow on the back end. Markov, too, may be slowed up due to his injuries. Hamrlik addresses none of our needs on defense, not making us faster, grittier or younger.

• thorandresson says:

-Really? He’s slowed down. He probably has a bit, but to use the word considerably that is a gross overstatement.

-Offensive abilities? He’s been consistently putting up between 25-35 points a year and this year he put up the most as a Canadien.

-You’re putting Yemelin ahead of Hamrlik on the PK? really you haven’t even seen the guy play yet, don’t think anyone here knows much about him.

• Talik Sanis says:

Hamrlik’s increased point totals are due, in part, to the injuries to Markov. Hamrlik received more power play minutes than in previous years. He had only three power play points in 08-09 and 15 in this past year, while seeing almost twice the ice time and playing with a group built to excel on the power play (small skilled forwards). Given the second most power play time for defensemen on our team, he was on the ice for 25 power play goals (mostly due to his midseason power play partner, Wisniewski), tying him with Wisniewski. Subban was on for 31 and Wisniewski, obviously, for 25 (with less ice time).

However, the crux of my argument regarding his lack of offense lies in his, indeed, considerable loss of speed. He can be beaten out too easily by forwards, thus limiting his offensive usefulness and increasing the risk of his pinches. We saw this throughout the year (with Hamrlik and Spacek alike) and in the playoff series against Boston.

His play on the penalty kill is overrated. While being third on our defense core in short handed ice time, he was first in goals against (24) compared to Gill (19) and Subban (11). Gill played over 100 minutes more than Hamrlik, and Subban almost 50.

Yemelin’s experience in a men’s league, his style of play, potential and his salary, place him on the second penalty kill unit, over signing Hamrlik. Further, we have seen him play in international games. This modest sampling of his play has indicated that he is, indeed, a competent penalty killer.

Hamrlk’s usefulness as a player, offensively and defensively, may be debated, but the fact that he has shown that he cannot adequately cope with the rigors of a full NHL season and playoffs is impossible to argue. His endurance is liable to worsen next year, if he returns.

• habstrinifan says:

Can I copythis and send it to PG. iI will have to sneak it by JM… but somebody gotta wake them up in habs cone of silence.

• Talik Sanis says:

Our origination cannot be without a single individual who will tell Gautier this. He must see it with his own eyes. He must be aware, and yet doesn’t care if he’s actually offering Hamrlik a contract.

I just don’t understand. Its unfathomable to me.

I’m the first one to cry over assets lost for nothing, but there’s a time and a place for it. This is one of them. You need to do what it takes to make the team better.

• gerrybell says:

agreed – Hammar is solid. when markov goes down with another season ending injury in December at least we will have Roman.

g
      b

37. harpman says:

Hamrlik is an asset, welcome back if in fact he comes back…we need edge and toughness up front.

38. harpman says:

Bryan Thomas

39. Un Canadien errant says:

Elliotte Friedman has Shea Weber signing in Nashville at 6 million a year. Maybe Wisniewski is not a slam dunk to sign a 5 million for 5 year contract.

Is it possible we’re getting carried away with ourselves?

———————————
    “I hate the Bruins more than the Nordiques, who I hate more than the Flyers.”

40. Habitant in Surrey says:

…My opinion is Wiz not enthusiastic being third-wheel behind Markov and PK, as far as offensive-stats are concerned, so with a Markov re-sign, if I was Wiz, I would ‘reluctantly’ look around for a Top-2 D job on another team
    …ONLY bizneess for The Wiz …unfortunately
    …Hammer is the smartest, most intelligent and experienced D-man We have, and THAT includes Markov
    …Hammer’s present physical skills, intelligence, character, leadership, pride, remains invaluable at 15 to 20 minutes a game …well-worth $ 3.5 M …if He would agree
    …in a perfect-world, would love to have Markov, PK, Hammer, Wiz, Gill, Yemelin, Spatch next season (with Web a D/3rd or 4th line Forward)
    …BUT, factoring projected cap and Wiz’s personal aspirations, if I was PG, I would re-sign Hammer at max $ 3.5 M, and trade ‘negotation rights’ for Wiz for an extra draft-pick

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• Sharks9 says:

3.5 million for Hamrlik is absolutely insane. That money would be so much more useful getting a top 6 forward or re-signing Wiz. The team doesn’t need Hamrlik and signing him would be a mistake.

25 before 14

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Hamrlik is an excellent defenseman that royally saved Our ass these past 2 seasons
        …playing 25+ minutes a game at His age wore Him down, true …but, defensively, a Hammer at half-speed is better than a Wiz in His prime …with Markov healthy, Hamrlik will play appropriate minutes for His age …and there are not many D-men We could sign for $ 3.5 M that I would ‘know WHAT We got’ more than Hammer
        …IF, We re-sign Markov …do You REALLY think Wiz wants His potential offensive numbers to be cut in half, playing 3rd-wheel to PK and Andrei ? …if We retain Wiz, it would not be less than $ 4.5 M+
        …the ONLY way We will sign Wiz is IF Markov does not
        …plus, NOT signing Wiz, and re-signing Hammer at $ 3.5 M max, We still are competitive to bid for a free-agent offensive weapon
        …insanity is a matter of one-man’s ‘opinion’ anyway …and, so far, no one has locked Me away …yet

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• gerrybell says:

you are outta your mind if you think RH should get 3.5 million. 2 max.

g
          b

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…IF I was PG I would work VERY hard to sign Roman to a single-year $ 2.5 M deal …but unless Shea Weber told Me He was a lifelong Hab Fan growin’ up …and His dream was to sign for Our Habs at $ 5 to 6 M …I would think $ 3.5 M for Hammer for one-year is MORE than reasonable
            …and My psychiatrist concurs :))

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

41. dhenry1234 says:

Ok so if we sign Hammer it looks like we won’t be signing The Wiz. Pretty unfortunate. I hope that we can get hammer at one hell of a discount. He should be getting under 2 million.

Markov yemelin
    Gorges Subban
    Hammer Gill
    Spacek

I really think that Wiz would make our D look better. But Wiz is going to be getting 4-5 mil per season and will want a multi year deal. If we were to sign wiz long term then there’s a chance that it would make it difficult to sign Price and Subban next summer. Gautier is looking ahead

• DearyLeary says:

People need to quit it with this Markov/Emelin pairing. It’s not happening. Period.

• dhenry1234 says:

I didn’t really put too much thought into the pairings I put here. I just thought it was a little nicer on the eyes than markov, yemelin, gorges, subban, hammer, gill and Spacek.
        I’m no Coach. I’ll leave that up to JM

• longbow says:

“Wanting is often more pleasurable than having.It is not logical but it is often true.” – Spock

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

haha, this place is good comedy. I used to just check in for Habs news, now i read the comments to laugh at all the idiots who post here.

42. habs001 says:

one of the bigger keys for the habs next year and i have not heard anyone talk about it is camm scoring 30-35 goals…

• longbow says:

I have a hard time imagining Gionta,Cammy and Gomez not having better seasons next year.Pleks will benefit from that. Hoping AK with Eller works out too. We really need Martin to let the thoroughbreds run.

Einstein’s definition of insanity – “Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”

43. longbow says:

Left D Markov,Hammer,Gill,Spacek,Yemelin
    Right D Gorges,Subban,Weber

Something ain’t right here.Still think they’ll trade Weber ?

• Rob says:

you’re right….something isn’t right. Markov doesn’t play RD. Hammer doesn’t play RD. Subban doesn’t play LD. Gorges doesn’t typically play LD

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

• habsfan0 says:

I think they’re all ambidextrous..not that there’s anything wrong with that!

• longbow says:

Ya,ok. I did an edit on that. Not sure if you can see that. It shows up ok here.

44. Habitant in Surrey says:

…as most of Us know now, any 2007 re-draft would include Our PK SoobyDoo in the first round, not 2nd …AND, in My own humble humble opinion He would be a Top-10 selection …knowing what We know now
    …and, speaking about My humbleness, though SIZE/SKILL/SPEED was pre-eminent in My mind for PG’s first-draft selection last year, I was apprehensive about Tinordi being ‘the answer’ for Our Habs
    …so, good to know that those that are paid to know their stuff, like Craig Button made the following comment on Jared Tinordi …which means I can sleep more peacefully tonight

…per Craig Button (known EVERYWHERE, but in Montreal, as Sam Pollock’s Love-child)…”Montreal Canadiens defenceman Jarred Tinordi moved up by leaps and bounds through 14 positions, while Panthers defenceman Erik Gudbranson slipped 12 spots.

“Gudbranson is going to be a really good player in the NHL for a lot of years, but he’s not in the Cam Fowler class, he’s not in the Jeff Skinner class, he’s not in the Ryan Johansen class, so what you have to keep in mind is that just because he’s fallen back a year later in my assessment, it doesn’t mean that he’s not going to be a solid NHL player.”

“When you look at Tinordi, he’s much like his dad. He’s raw, so it will take him a little bit of time to really realize that full potential. [He needs to] understand what a presence he can be in a game, not just with his size, but with his physical play with his offensive play, with his ability to shut other teams best players down,” Button stated. “I think he’s the type of guy when you start looking ahead, he’s a 25-28 minute-a-game player in all situations.”

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

45. Habitant in Surrey says:

…some interesting exercises on TSN.ca doing re-drafts on past 2 or 3 drafts …as in WHO You will draft today then …ie, Tavares vs Duchesne, or Hall vs Seguin, etc.
    …so, for all You dweebs and geniuses, it would be interesting to to reconstruct Our own HIO re-draft (limited to first 2 rounds) of, say, the past 4 drafts (because my marker of interest includes PK Subban’s draft year, 2007)
    …so, for those with time on Your hands (…and, there seems to be more than a few of You that lives, eats and sleeps, with a port-a-potty nearby, pecking away Their God-inspired opines and declarations on the entrails of Our Habs, …day & night …and, You KNOW who You are !!!) …would make an interesting waste-of-time-read, on re-visiting the first 2 rounds of those 4 drafts
    …it probably is easier to be more definite on the 2007 & 2008 drafts, because 2009s & 2010s are still percolating
    …I definitely don’t have the time, so i won’t
    …but, if We filled-in those Top-60 in each of those years based on what We KNOW now, with an addendum of the ‘busts’ actually drafted in the Top-60 …We will see what a crap shoot these drafts are

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

46. This is known as hump day and old age pension is on the rise in Habsland. LMAO!!! JM must be do for a hefty raise from veterans pensions and therefore needs experience over the age of 35 to see it through. Its JM’s dream to dress as the count and be able to address the youth are a few years away to be a VETERAN. A trade must be in the works or the Habs will be doom and gloom.

47. TomNickle says:

Depth on defense is our team’s strength.

Markov Subban
    Gill Gorges
    Yemelin Spacek
    Hamrlik Weber
    Nash Diaz
    Tinordi Pateryn
    Bennett Ellis

It stands to reason that with this much depth. Some players are going to become expendable and can be used to acquire players in other areas of need. In addition with Cammalleri, Pacioretty, Kostitsyn, Moen and Darche at left wing and Desharnais and Eller both capable of playing the position, Pouliot becomes expendable.

So the question becomes. What can you acquire by dangling Weber and Pouliot?

I think you can acquire Setoguchi or Hartnell with that package.

Any other ideas?

• HabFanSince72 says:

Why would anyone trade a very good top 6 player (Hartnell or Setoguchi) for two players who might not be in the NHL much longer?

• GrimJim says:

IMO the real problem with Pouliot is he is a 3rd line player that was drafted 4th overall. It looks likely that he’s never going to live up to his potential, but if you expect him to be a bottom 6 player, his performance is good. Weber can be a top 4 d-man IMO, good for 10 goals and 30 points a year. So maybe that trade now becomes 2 complimentary pieces for a top 6.

• HabFanSince72 says:

If by bottom 6 you mean not good enough, then yes.

But if by bottom 6 we understand: defensively sound, can play on the PK, can maybe move up to the top 6 when there are injuries, then that isn’t our Benny.

• ed lopaz says:

Not sure about Pouliot, that was Tom’s idea, :-)

I believe in Weber.

He is young but already experienced, with plenty of Ahl, international, and some NHL experience.

He is mobile, and can quarterback a power play.

He is beginning to play tougher, and he certainly has the smarts and the effort on the ice to continue to develp.

He is like a young version of Stephane Robidas, who is having a great NHL career.

Weber has a job in the NHL unless he chooses to leave.

I would rather keep Weber and not have Hamrlik.

Weber is still a question mark – he is still unproven – so I believe we would also have to include a high draft pick to make that deal work.

• rogieshan says:

I’m betting Pouliot will soon become a UFA because he won’t get a qualifying offer from Gauthier. Weber is an asset the GM can use to improve his draft position. I’m not a big fan of Setoguchi – I think he has already reached his ceiling and is frustratingly inconsistent to be a top-six forward. Hartnell is proven and plays with an edge but why would the Flyers want to move him for unfulfilled potential in Weber and Pouliot?

• Willy says:

So they can sign Bryz. I don’t see Pouliot and Weber being enough to get Hartnell but they do have to move someone to fit Bryz under the cap. I’d be inclined to move our first rounder and Weber for Carter if that was at all possible.

48. HabFanSince72 says:

The other possibility is this one.

Maybe Josh Gorges didn’t recover well from his surgery.

Why have we not heard anything about him? Why sign DD, Darche and AK46 and not Gorges?

• TomNickle says:

Gorges was playing without an acl prior to going under the knife. I find it hard to believe that six months after having his knee rebuilt, and having another four months in recovery time prior to camp that he’s not going to be ready.

• HabFanSince72 says:

It is unlikely, but all kinds of things can go wrong in knee surgery – especially ligament repairs.

• Rugger says:

Thanks for scaring the heck out of me, I popped something in my knee playing rugby, going to Doc Friday!

• D Mex says:

One of his uncles tells me the recovery is going well, but has no idea where things stand in terms of a contract.
          That same uncle is a Hawks fan, and would like to see him play there at some point …

ALWAYS Habs –
          D Mex

• MTLForever says:

i read not too long ago that gorges and markovs knees are both at 100%

PT is at it again. He’s the obvious only true Hab fan here. According to his royal pontiff the rest of us are idiots for posting.

How many here have had talks with Hab player agents? None.
    How many here have had talks with other NHL GM’s? None.
    How many here are engaged in the NHL player market? None.
    How many here take their own opinions too seriously? One. His name is PT.
    How many here over-react? One. PT again.

• PrimeTime says:

And the hits just keep coming. Maybe try comedy for a vocation, HH. It’s a great stage for those who like to run their mouth on subjects they have very little knowledge but do it for pure entertainment and the free booze!

I freely admit to having zero knowledge of what happens in PG’s office or do I have any idea of how to manage an NHL organization, unlike you apparently who, as the truest of fans, seems to have all the answers.

Opinions and comments are great fun to read and discuss until some who take themselves too seriously.

PT Opinion: Hammer signed for 1 yr @ $2M becomes an asset….Argue away!

• habsfan0 says:

Where exactly is this free booze you talk about?

• HardHabits says:

Signing Hamrlik at any cost for any term would be a step backwards so it wouldn’t surprise me if the Habs sign him.

I’d prefer that 2 million be put towards a top 6 forward or a younger defenseman who scored 51 points last season.

You think my posts about tanking or size and grit were annoying. If the Habs sign Hamrlik and not Wisniewski It’ll be all HH bitching all the time. I’ll make Tony242 will seem like Habsrule1.

• ed lopaz says:

I enjoy reading your posts HH.

I don’t agree with all of them, but I still read them.

50. habsfan0 says:

Is Janne Niinimaa still available?

51. ed lopaz says:

in all seriousness, Weber is the odd man out here.

absolutely and without a doubt.

Gauthier will be making a trade, involving Weber, and likely one of our draft picks, on Friday.

Hamrlik will be signed for around 2 million.

Spacek is not moveable – he is the ultimate immoveable object

Yemelin (or his twin, emelin) MUST play – or we lose him to the KHL.

So it will be the following

Subban and Gill
    Markov and Yemelin
    Spacek and Hamrlik (god have mercy on us!!)
    Gorges

Weber is done.

Weber and a ? draft pick for WHO????

• TomNickle says:

Devin Setoguchi, Brandon Sutter or Scott Hartnell.

You heard it from ME FIRST.

Wouldn’t be shocked if Pouliot was a throw in there either. I have no problem with this because of development of Pateryn and Ellis.

• ed lopaz says:

If its Hartnell, I take back all of my criticism of Gauthier. :-)

• TomNickle says:

He’s got the money for it. I would say Setoguchi is the likeliest of the candidates though Ed.

• ed lopaz says:

Setoguchi would be welcomed as well – no problem.

I don’t think Sutter would be delt. I would never trade him, but that’s just me.

Sutter is 1 or max 2 seasons from being a flat out all star.

• habsfan0 says:

Whatever became of the rumour of Carter and Hartnell’s wife?

• Marcusman says:

Why is everyone so quick to give up on Pouliot? He had great stats, and he was physical… with a goal scorer’s touch. He needed to feel like he belonged and not always skating on egg shells.

• TomNickle says:

Because the coach didn’t let him take pre-game skates in the last half of the Bruins series.

• Marcusman says:

Must of been some personal friction……You know he will fall in the Michael Ryder, John Leclair……how did we let them get away category.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Please don’t put John LeClair and Ryder in the same category.

———————————
            “I hate the Bruins more than the Nordiques, who I hate more than the Flyers.”

• habsfan0 says:

Pouliot has ALL the tools to be a star in the NHL..except the most important one..what lies between his ears…

• Habitoban says:

I think the tool is behind the bench.

• habsfan0 says:

LOL..and upstairs in the GM’s office.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Would a stint in the minors help him? If he spent a season being the man and dominating in Hamilton, wouldn’t that give him some confidence?

I watched the “Nos Canadiens” episode featuring him, he’s painfully shy, not at all outgoing, a far cry from PK. I get the feeling that he needs to have success to feel good about himself.

———————————
            “I hate the Bruins more than the Nordiques, who I hate more than the Flyers.”

• Malreg says:

Teams almost always carry 7 defenseman. I don’t see why Weber has to be traded?

Why can’t Hamrlik, Spacek, Weber, Emelin all take turns in the pressbox?

• rogieshan says:

Gauthier could be dangling Weber for a possible shot at moving up in the draft or getting an extra pick in the 2nd or 3rd round. Spacek could be bought out or his contract buried in Hamilton or Europe (re: Huet). Would you flip Weber, Eller and a 1st rounder to NYI for a chance at Huberdeau or Couturier?

• MTLForever says:

no. i would not give away that much nor would i give up eller.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Spacek is a veteran over 35 years old, and as per the CBA, his contract can’t be bought out or buried in the minors or Europe. The only way his cap hit comes off the books is if he is traded.

The reason you are willing to part with Eller, Weber and our #1 for NYI’s #1 is the same reason they would never accept that deal.

To move up to get Couturier or Huberdeau would cost a painful price, not spare parts.

———————————
        “I hate the Bruins more than the Nordiques, who I hate more than the Flyers.”

• New says:

Unless Markov wants to go to say… Washington.

• Bugs says:

No, Eddie, it won’t be that. You bring up interesting points concerning Webber, but no way Gorges goes down to 7. Quite ridiculous, I’m afraid.
      Sorry.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

52. Sean Bonjovi says:

If signing Hammer means trading Weber then I’m all for it.

* Ville Leino would make Sergei Samsonov look like Alex Kovalev *

53. avatar_58 says:

Perspective – They walked away from Moore, Metropolit, Koivu, Boulion, etc

But hey – HAMRLIK

Somewhere Picard has his head in his hand….

54. habs001 says:

what we learned from the bruins is that their d was able to take and give out punishment when they pinched..gill,spacek and hammer cannot pinch as they tend to get caught and dont have the physicality to do this regularly…with the lack of d support it is not a suprise we were 23rd in scoring this year and 21st the year before…subban and gorges can pinch but gorges has very limited puck skills…markov is good at pinching using his skills but maybe because of a lack of timing due to the injuries the last 2 years he was not as good as before and made poor decisions much more than ever before

55. habsfan0 says:

The only sane explanation I have for Gauthier signing Hamrlik at a relatively cheap amount is that he and Spacek will be offered as trade bait,thus allowing the Habs to sign the Wiz.

That isn’t sane.

• habsfan0 says:

Probably not, but it’s the only explanation I can come up with.

• TomNickle says:

Money isn’t an issue with the potential of signing Wisniewski. This team has over $20 million in cap room and only need three defensemen, three forwards and a backup goalie with Gorges, Markov, Weber, White, Pyatt, Pouliot and Auld among the possibilities other than Wisniewski.

Weber, Pyatt, Pouliot and White will not cost more than $3 million combined. Gorges will be no more than $4 million under a worst case scenario that he even gets close to that number and Markov isn’t getting anything north of $6 million. So take the worst case scenarios. $13 million for all of those players, another million for Auld and you’ve still got $6 million left.

Money isn’t the issue.

• habsfan0 says:

Then,what exactly IS the issue? Sign as many cheap,not very talented d-men as possible, and let the Wiz sign with the Bruins,immediately improving upon the one area where they were weak en route to the Cup? Their power play.

• TomNickle says:

The issue is icetime. With Subban and Gorges likely to play the right hand side, there isn’t enough time to go around. And I don’t believe it’s good policy to pay your #5 defenseman $5 million.

• habsfan0 says:

At $7.8 million per season, Habs have already set a precedent for overpaying a #5 player at his position.

Besides,sometimes it’s a sound policy to sign someone if only from preventing your main rival from signing him.

56. avatar_58 says:

No Markov, Gorges or Wiz…..but hey let’s give Hamr a call!

/gun

57. lukas-joshua says:

If PG signs Hammer, I want a contract as well.

58. PrimeTime says:

How many here have had talks with Hab player agents?
    How many here have had talks with other NHL GM’s?
    How many here are engaged in the NHL player market?
    How many here take their own opinions too seriously?
    How many here over-react?

• TomNickle says:

That’s a lot of math for hump-day at 3pm Eastern Time.

• longbow says:

How many here have a right to an opinion ?

So when the webpage was changed to Hockeyinsideout was there fineprint saying fans could no longer completely overreact to rumours? I hate when i don’t read the fine print.

• TomNickle says:

If you’re referring to the Wisniewski scuttlebutt I’ll just address each point individually. If you aren’t referring to him, I apologize.

1. Hab player agents do a lot of their business with the media, you don’t have to speak with an agent to know what he’s trying to accomplish.

2. Ken Holland was quoted as saying his #1 priority is replacing Rafalski and then addressing the rest of the roster.

3. The NHL player market in terms of salaries and contract length is public knowledge, not some big secret.

4. Everyone

5. Most.

• ed lopaz says:

@ Prime Time
      you miss the point of discussing here – we ENJOY the speculation.

if everyone would just sit back and wait for everything to happen, what fun would that be??

59. bwoar says:

This Hamrlik thing makes me wonder if Spacek is considering retirement. Don’t see why that would be, just doing some idle speculation. It’s a bit odd if we continue with all 3 old guys, given the youth movement on D.

• TomNickle says:

If Spacek retires we get no cap relief. But what you’re suggesting is possible. Not sure why he would put it off though.

• bwoar says:

I know about the cap relief. Really I’m just trying to make Hamrlik make sense. Wild speculation, but perhaps a medical issue not yet disclosed may be at the root of PG knocking on the old guy’s door.

Or Gorges believes the HIO hype of actually being a #4 defenseman and is trying to make big dollars. More plausible scenario.

Assuming that is what Spacek is thinking, given he has been treated well by the habs over the years, couldn’t he rather show up at training camp and suffer a “Severe” injury and thus help the Habs cap relief. Perhaps a concussion…. I know that sounds terrible, but he really hurts the habs by retiring from a cap perspective.

60. Mattyleg says:

Aha!! I was wondering where I could buy myself Boston Bruins Stanley Cup Champs t-shirts and caps…
    Now I know, thanks to this handy and well-placed ad! ——->

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Gauthier: Hi Petr.
    Svoboda: Pierre! Long time.
    Gauthier: Yeah. Not since I rejected your idea that Jagr joins the Habs.
    Svoboda: : Ha, ha Pierre. You’re always the kidder.
    Gauthier: Yeah. Just thought I’d inform you that I am contemplating making an offer for Hamrlik.
    Svoboda: PG. That’s so unlike you. Aren’t you worried that I’ll leak it to the press?
    Gauthier: I am hoping you will you retard. If anybody thinks I am going to sign your over the hill has been and not sign Wisniewski they’ve been drinking the kool-aid.
    Svoboda: No problem PG. It’s as good as leaked. I hope that puts the pressure on JW to sign the dotted line. Are you sure you don’t want a two for one washed up old Czech deal?
    Gauthier: You don’t represent Spacek do you? What’s the name of your agency? Bouncing Czechs?

• TomNickle says:

Very funny but the potential of Hamrlik signing takes no leverage away from Wisniewski in these negotiations. Gorges and Weber are the only players on the roster that this has an impact on.

• issie74 says:

Tom ….. Georges had serious surgery six months ago,do you know for sure he will be cleared by doctors to play when the season starts.

NorthTOHab

• TomNickle says:

He’ll be stronger when he is ready. The only surgery related to athletes that I’m aware of that takes more than 6 months to nurse and rehab is Tommy John surgery. Gorges didn’t have it.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Tom, ACL reconstruction is definitely not a six-month deal. It takes most athletes a minimum of six months, but for some as much as a year to regain full strength, range of motion and to be free of pain. Most then report that even without any setbacks, it takes another year to truly regain your balance, your feel, what the physiotherapists term ‘proprioception’. This is true in hockey, football, skiing, etc.

Based on this, and not knowing the severity of each injury and how rehab has gone, I have higher hopes for Markov than for Josh, since Andrei will have had a full year when the season starts.

I think both of these guys’ minutes should be limited early this season, we can’t count on them being our workhorses. This year would be a recovery year, with an eye to next season being when they would be fully recovered.

Having said that, I don’t want Hamrlik brought in to plug holes, let’s give the work to Yemelin and Weber. They need the icetime to improve.

———————————
            “I hate the Bruins more than the Nordiques, who I hate more than the Flyers.”

62. Marcusman says:

Hamrlik is great he just can’t be counted on to play 22 mins a game, 75 games a year at this point.

As for The Wiz…. the team he grew up cheering for 25 miles from his house will most likely offer him over $4,500,000 a year to play for them. So way too tempting…..Hamrlik must be Gauthier back up plan to the and it’s not a bad one if it comes in under 3 mil a year…..

• TomNickle says:

Hard for Hamrlik to be the backup plan to Wisniewski when Wisniewski wasn’t in the future plans to begin with.

Markov, Gorges, Gill, Subban, Yemelin, Weber, Spacek.

Three possibilities….

1. The team wants Hamrlik as insurance in case an important defenseman goes down with injury. But his inclusion in the lineup bumps Spacek, Yemelin or Weber out.

2. Weber or Spacek, or both, are going to be traded.

3. Gauthier wants to dress 10 defensemen and 8 forwards.

63. TomNickle says:

Anyone else think Edmonton would give Winnipeg the first overall pick for the Peg’s #6 pick and Zach Bogosian?

• bwoar says:

Neither team would do that.

• TomNickle says:

Edmonton would be crazy not to.

• HalifaxHabs says:

agree with Tom on this one… the top of the draft is up for debate, there’s just a good a chance the 6th overall will be a stud, as the 1st overall.

Winnipeg on the other hand could get way more out of those assets if they wanted to move them.

• bwoar says:

Probably true for EDM but I suspect they’d much rather go all-in for a Malkin or player of that calibre instead of grabbing a lower 1st.

It’s also a hard trade to complete because WPG picks 7th :D

• TomNickle says:

I don’t think the Peg would have any issues with trading Ottawa’s pick to Edmonton. Pretty sound management if you ask me.

• longbow says:

Interesting ! With the sixth pick they could get their hands on Dougie Hamilton.

• TomNickle says:

Or possibly Couturier or Strome.

• Bripro says:

I would have to agree with you on Couturier. He was rated higher last year, then slipped back somewhat. I hope he’s available for a 17th pick.
          As for Wiz vs Hammer, I agree that Hammer is getting older, but he’s solid as a 15 minute/game D. As for Wiz…great shot, good offensively, but wasn’t he minus double digits? They need to sign Georges. And a #6 and Bogosian is a sweet trade, if it happens. Where did you hear this?

• TomNickle says:

Hamrlik’s presence holds back the development of Yemelin or Weber, I’m not on board.

As for the Bogosian thing. I didn’t hear it anywhere. Edmonton is listening to offers for their #1 overall and Bogosian has reportedly not been happy with his current franchise for quite some time.

• shuttle-lemaire-lafleur says:

Couturier will not be available 17th…I still think he will be picked in the top 5 or 6.

Bogosian is a nice dman for years to come. If the draft this year truly doesn’t have that guaranteed star player that isn’t an unreasonable offer. But traditionally the #1 pick is worth more than that.

• TomNickle says:

The #1 overall pick in this draft is worth more than the #6 pick in this draft and the #3 pick from the ’08 draft(who is already a proven NHLer)?

Tom, I like that trade, I was saying in general the #1 overall is the trophy piece. Because this year the crop doesn’t have a Crosby, Stamkos etc… then a deal like you proposed can happen. In years past however, you never get the #1 for a 6 and a good young big defenceman. Sorry typed quick and didn’t explain meself.

64. Thurston says:

Personally, I have no qualms with the overall performance Hamrlik gave the Habs over the last few years. That said, his time has come and gone and the team should seek what else is available.
    No offense, Roman, but see ya later (hopefully).

65. longbow says:

Svoboda talks too much !

I don’t think any of us have a problem with Gill, Hamrlik, or Spacek as individual dmen. The concern this rumour has caused is the fact that the 3 of these dmen together is a very old, slower, softer D than most of us envisioned for this upcoming year. As many have said, if PG has a deal in the works that moves Spacek (no offence, he has served us well, but is getting up there) then the Hamrlik deal is quite sensible. But we all know that if you give JM the choice he will play the veterans. You put Spacek, Gill and Hamrlik in a jersey on game day and JM is going to ride those 3 like they are showhorses. That is my fear.