Hamrlik still ailing, doubtful for Senators

Canadiens defenceman Roman Hamrlik has been told by doctors today that his flu virus is contagious, so he’s keeping a l-o-n-g way away from his hockey club. Don’t look for him to be in the lineup Saturday vs. the Senators in Ottawa, after having missed the last two games with this bug.

Cristobal Huet returns to the Montreal net. Still no word on whether Michael Ryder, a healthy scratch the past three games, will return to action.

1. J.T. says:

I’m afraid the game tomorrow just got a lot tougher to win. We saw last night what the defence looks like without Hamrlik…last year! And we know what happened then. The Habs’ only choice tomorrow is to keep the puck as much as possible and skate like the devil’s after them. The farther the play is from Breezer, the better the chances of at least a point.

2. My Habs says:

Bring Ryder back and put Dandenault on defense!

3. carmine007 says:

Give me a break! Get Hamrlik out on the ice. What “flu” isnt contagious???

Hamrlik has been out for a week. How much time do you need to get at least well enough to go back to work!

If he doesnt have a fever then he’s healthy enough to play hockey. We pay him a nice penny to play hockey!

I think we need to get Ryder out on the ice and place Maxim or Higgins as a healthy scratch. Ryder will start to play better as the trade deadline gets even closer, I HOPE…

It’s NEVER over til it’s OVER!

4. HotHabs says:

NO HAMMER = hard time nailing this game!

enjoying the high’s of being a Habs fan

5. Les-Habitants says:

Hey Dave,
    According to TSN, it looks like Ryder will be back with Koivu and Higgins.

At this point, I have got to believe that you need to leave this line together for the remainder of the season, getting their ice time plus time on the 2nd unit PP. They can score…they were our best line last year, and it wasn’t by mistake. That line has to be left alone, as they are really our only hope for some consistent secondary scoring.

Also, the Kid line was great when Sergei was playing on it. Lats, Lapierre and Kostitsyn Jr. provided a line that had a lot of energy and generated a couple scoring chances.

That leaves our 4th line, with Smokes centernig. Take your pick of Begin, TK, and Dandy on the wings…although I think Dandy should be on that linee, with TK or Begin on the LW

Expect to see:
    A. Kostitsyn – Plek – Kovy
    Higgins – Koivu – Ryder
    Lats – Lapierre – S. Kos
    Begin/TK – Smokes – Dandy

D-line pairing will most likely be the same as against toronto, with Hammer still sick.

6. kenny_galloway says:

a field trip to hell imho

7. habitual says:

Check out this quote from TSN:

“Of the teams I’ve seen, I don’t think you can say anybody has a great team. I think Ottawa is good, Montreal is scary good, the Rangers are going to be good, the Devils are really good and we always have trouble with the Devils, but the Flyers are in that pack so I don’t see why they wouldn’t be able to contend for the East anyway.” – Bob Clarke

8. Higgins21 says:

Sure it’ll be a tough one to win tomorrow night, but haven’t our Habs been giving us pleasant surprises all season? I see no reason why they can’t do it again.
    I think Carbo needs to re-unite the Kid Line (Lapierre, S. Kostitsyn and Latendresse), put Koivu, Ryder, and Higgins back together and have Smolinski, Begin, and Kostopoulos as the fourth line. Of course, Plekanec, Kovalev, and A. Kostitsyn remain intact.
    On Defence:- Markov-Komisarek
    Gorges-Streit
    Bouillon-Dandenault
    Healthy Scratch-Brisebois

9. habs-13 says:

Good point, with Hamrlik out it seems as though Carboneau almost has to play Brisebois, but he doesn’t. If Ryder is back in the lineup Dandenault could play on D and Brisebois could sit.

10. nightmare_49 says:

Good one.lol.

11. Shiloh says:

Why not try Latendresse on defence? Obviously, he’d be a stay-at-home type of player – he wouldn’t join in too many rushes.

12. nightmare_49 says:

Streit has a position and that’s forward. He also plays point on the power play and subs on “D”. That’s what makes him valuable and secure and will put more money in his pocket.

13. Hockey11 says:

Then why is he playing so many games at D?

14. Cable Guy says:

I think you meant Breezer in your first sentence and not Hammer.

15. Pay Julay says:

I’m all in aggreance for sitting Breezer… he did look terrible last night and for that matter most of the season.

I think the everyone feels better when Dandys sittin back instead of Breezer makin those bonehead pinches in the offensive zone. Move Streit back up except for on the PP.

16. Hockey11 says:

correct, I’m bad………

17. Hockey11 says:

Steit deserves to play one position or another, the org has to decide which one. As it stands we have tons of forwards and not enough D so even though he struggles at D sometimes we need him there now. He needs to play one position or another.

18. nightmare_49 says:

krob – I don’t think your missing a “D” MAN but the memory of Jare Niinimaa is still lingering.

19. The Teacher says:

Hockey11,

I agree that Hamrlik isn’t depth, he’s part of the core of our defence.

Apart from our top 3 (one of whom is injured), we have 4 defencemen in rotation plus F/D alternates

Gorges (D)
    Bouillon (D)
    Streit (D)
    O’Byrne (injured)
    Brisebois (D)
    Dandenault (F)

Which give us a total of 6 D. Brisebois is going to be included whether we like it or not, as he is being paid. They will not call up a defenceman to play instead of Brisebois and commit further funds to the cap. We do have depth as we have 1 more defenceman even with 2 ailing, Breezer as our 8th option? I’ll take it. We have to remember, he IS our EIGHTH option.

Will they use Dandenault on D if someone else gets injured?

Is Valentenko ready to spot a game here and there? I don’t know if anyone else is prepared? We can ask Chuck for his opinion on this one.

P.S. Why do I feel like I’m missing a defenceman?

20. sidhu says:

Waive Brisebois, call up Cote or OB!

21. coutNY says:

I wish Cote, but he doesn’t have a two-contract and Gainey Won’t cahnce to lose another player to the Waiver system. ie Hainsey>> OB maybe!

22. Hockey11 says:

This why we need depth and Hammer is not depth, he is 8th Dman promoted to 7 because of O’Byrne. Streit needs to play D the rest of the way, we cannot have Hammer playing.

One more D injury and we are sunk. Obyrne is 10-14 days away, is there anyone on Hamilton that can help? If we are crowded up front I think Dandy is WAY better than Breezer, when OB comes back then Streit can go to forward permanently and Dandy can be #7 odd man out on D but at least serviceable, he is a better option than #71, anybody?

23. Cable Guy says:

This is great, just great. ugh

24. projectpete19 says:

what the hell does he have the clap? a flu doesnt take this long

25. Vincent is possible says:

I’m worried too Krob

Last nights game:

Brisebois -1
    Koivu -2
    Streit -2
    Latendresse -1

This is the order of my displeasure. Brisebois was useless on the Tucker goal, standing in NO MAN’S LAND by himself. Any after allowing the goal, he cross checked Tucker!
    Go Home OLD MAN GO HOME!

I smell a trade coming. Looks like Gainey felt the need to add two forwards to hamilton. Why is he worried about Hamilton so close to a deadline? Why isnt Ryder playing anymore? This may be becsue we’re about to lose a few players in a trade. ( I would love VIncent, but Hossa is a close second)

“WE WANT VINCE! WE WANT VINCE!”

26. Cable Guy says:

I agree that something is happening for sure, Bob is up to something, we’ll find out soon enough.

27. Vincent is possible says:

Well I have ticket to see the Habs play the Thrashers on February 26th, which is coincidently the trade deadline. It would be nice if I saw Hossa play his first game as a Canadien against his former team.

________________
    “WE WANT VINCE! WE WANT VINCE!”

28. My Habs says:

Is O’Byrne healthy? If so, he ABSOLUTELY must be called up and Carb needs to bench Brisebois – he is not helping the team at all in any way, shape or form!

God bless you Patrice, but you need to retire now.