Halpern, Gorges take day off

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | P.K. Subban | Andrei Kostitsyn | Tomas Plekanec | Pleks on P.K.

Jeff Halpern and Josh Gorges both took what the Canadiens described as “therapy days” but coach Jacques Martin said both will be in the lineup tomorrow night when the Nashville Predators visit the Bell Centre.

Halpern appeared woozy as he was helped from the ice after he was driven into the boards by Philadephia’s Darroll Powe early in the third period  and he didn’t return to the ice. While the Canadiens felt that Powe’s hit was a blow from behind, there was no penalty and the play and the NHL said there would be no supplementary discipline. Powe landed an elbow on Gorges earlier in the game and received a minor penalty.

Carey Price is expected to make his 18th start in goal and the game will mark the first time brothers Andrei and Sergei Kostitsyn will face each other since they left Belarus.

1. Danno says:

I apologize as a fan of the Habs for having the audacity to cheer for PK who is just a kid and hasn’t earned our admiration yet. Sorry about that.  NOT!

Good stuff Chuck!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

Right you are, Nahlsy.  Hab fans might hate Richards for what he did last night but I’d take him on my team any day of the week.  He’s a hell of a lot better than Gomez.

3. joeybarrie says:

OK, well I see we know who is in love with Richards……..

So compare the two then.

2 Gold medals for Canada in the Jrs. Plus the all star team with Tavares.

Went to the Robertson Cup finals, and went to the AHL all Star game…

1 win away from a Memorial Cup

In his last year of OHL PK had 18 more points than Richards’ last year. PK is a defender.

AHL Presidents Cup in 2009

If he is a ROOKIE in the NHL, and Richards is saying he is yapping too much and hasn’t accomplished anything in the NHL yet, then you compare apples to apples. WHAT HAS RICHARDS DONE IN THE NHL????

NHL ALL STAR GAME. Thats it. Captaining the Flyers????? Means nothing to me. In fact Subban had EIGHT TIMES as many points in his first NHL pLayoffs than Richards did. He took Markov’s place and lead us to the Conf Finals.

YOUR GREATEST WORLD JUNIOR TEAM? Well Richards only won 1 and he didnt end up in the scoring leaders or the all star team. PK gave up the AHL playoffs to play in the NHL playoffs. If Hamilton had him for the entire series I’ll bet he would have a Calder cup too.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

4. D Alcorn says:

No punk intended.  The guy in the video also doesn’t look like ‘ Kramer ‘ to me, I had heard about his ‘ incident ‘ and subsequent apologies etc, but this is the first time I have actually seen it.

ALWAYS Habs – D Mex

5. Nahlsy says:

He does fight his own battles, a lot more often than most superstar captains of their teams do. Considering his size, he tends to fight guys a lot larger than himself on a regular basis as well. Perhaps you should save the tantrum and try being more reasonable in your criticism of his comments. If you dislike what he said, take issue with what was said instead of ranting away like a fool, without knowing what you’re talking about and insulting those that point out your errors to you for correcting you in your rant. Sheesh.

6. Nahlsy says:

You have the right to your opinion, you also have the right to stick the obnoxious attitude where the sun doesn’t shine. Use your avatar as a hint as to where that would be.  I didn’t say he was the only player on without a question the greatest Jr team ever assembled, he was the captain and leader of that team though. If you wish to doubt the talent on the team that featured Richards, Carter, Getzlaf, Crosby, Bergeron, Phaneuf, Webber, Seabrook and others, who set records for goals scored and fewest goals allowed en route to destroying any and every team in their paths, that’s your choice though.

Richards *IS* the captain of the Flyers, Pronger is a childish twit. If you opt to throw a tantrum about the guy it’s your choice but the facts are that he’s accomplished a hell of a lot more than most players in the league, let alone those anywhere near his age bracket. You can go back to your insulting little tantrum now though. Sorry to offend you by adding an informed opinion to your tantrum that differed from your’s.

7. Kooch7800 says:

Souray was the cause for many highlight reel goals.  If you were one on one with him, he was getting schooled.

I like Souray but he isn’t worth half of what his contract is.  Too much of a liability

I got tired of seeing plays like this

8. jbroderi says:

do you have a picture of him above your bed or something??  the greatest world junior team ever is up for debate, but it wasn’t just because he played on it that it was good.  Richards is a good player, but he is not the best player on the flyers, and he is a relative “newbie”  himself to the league.  we all know pronger is the real captain of that team, not Richards.  He sounds like a petulant child, to be honest.  Sure he has accomplished things in the league, but he is not the diety you make him out to be.  The old saying about talk being cheap and actions are louder than words.  His actions show more disrespect than PK’s words ever will.

Crosby, Getzlaf, Doughty, Keith, Toews, Staal and Nash are all players on that olympic team that I would take over richards any day.

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

9. Nahlsy says:

Richards is NOTHING like Cooke, I have to respectfully disagree with you whole heartedly on that one Ian. Mike’s always Mike no matter who’s in front of him.

10. Nahlsy says:

You’re kidding right? What has he accomplished? You mean besides a Memorial Cup, a Calder Cup, Captaining the greatest World Jr team ever assembled to gold at the WJHC, captaining his team to the Stanley Cup Finals, being one of the top forwards on Team Canada en route to winning the Olympic Gold Medal? Best all around forward in the NHL when combining offense, defence, physical play and so forth?

Ya if you take all of that away from Richards, he’s done nothing in the league.  I don’t agree with his comments on Subban of course and it sounds more like frustration speaking than Mike on that one but, to question Richards’ accomplishments or abilities just doesn’t seem to show much familiarity with the guy you’re referring to.

11. Bob Barker says:

He’s no Claude Giroux that’s for sure.

He’s gritty. He racks up assists. He skates. He’s North American. He was the best and most noticeable Islander when we played them.

He is not really that great. He is decent. There are many Mike Richards’ in the league.

14. light_n_tasty says:

Nope.

15. LA Loyalist says:

What’s the downside of taking a shot on Souray? He’ll be very motivated, no ones says he has to fight.

And it’s not fair to label a guy a cancer when he’s in a train-wreck situation and speaks out a la Edmonton. I don’t know Iginla’s personality (just an example) but if he said something in Calgary would he be a cancer?

I just think it’s a very harsh judgement unless there are multiple verfied examples and we should be careful throwing that around.

I am not shy about bagging on Nomez (as most of you are sick of) but I have never criticized him like that and by all accounts he’s a good team mate. So let’s be careful.

“We need white boards… not the ones you use markers on.”

16. G-Man says:

Kramer from Seinfeld? Get real.

17. Psycho29 says:

Actually Colin Campbell looked at the video and swept the incident under the carpet. However he did request that Mike Richards refrain from doing stand up comedy in the off season….

18. GrimJim says:

Hey LnT, do you think Mr ALcorn is punking us?

What would you be if you were attached to another object by an incline-plan wrapped helically around an axis?

19. G-Man says:

Legitimate? He’s a pylon. Case closed. Next?

20. GrimJim says:

It’s the actor Mike Richards, the one who played Kramer on the tv show Seinfeld. Nothing to do with the hockey player…

21. light_n_tasty says:

Seriously?  Have you ever watched a show called “Seinfeld”?  It was pretty popular.

22. cautiousoptimist says:

Surely we could get a Wisniewski-type, but Wisniewski would cost us something.  And MAB is just plain brutal in two zones.  My first choice would be to give Weber a proper shot, but if that doesn’t work out, Souray could be had for exactly nothing, with something in the area of a $2M cap hit (as Edmonton will pay half of his $5.4M, and he’ll only count against the cap for the number of games left in the season when he suits up for us).  If he doesn’t work out either, no problem — send him down to Hamilton.  I can’t see that we’ve got anything to lose.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  23. jbroderi says:

Subban just got under his skin, and he’s too much of a (profanity deleted) to admit it!!  Let’s see him fight his own battles, or will Pringer cross sheck Subby into the boards with no call..  He is a great player, but I think his respect for opposing players should be brought into question, not Subbans balls out style!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

24. jbroderi says:

It appears liek the clowns are running the circus in regards to the NHLs head office.  I actually was quite dissappointed to read Bobby Mac’s article defending Colon Campbell (I call him Rectum Campbell!!)

Usually Bob is a writer i respect a lot, but I think he was way off base here.  The NHL vehemently defends there own, even to the point of crippling their own credibility.

Powe should be suspended 1 game, simply because he had 2 questionable hits last night.

Rectum Campbell is the poster boy for inconsistency, almost to the point of condoning the play of Philly last night.  When a team is losing and they try to intimidate other players and teams, that should be discouraged, not encouraged.

I also like how Daly said that any criticism of Campbel was “factually wrong”.  Let’s see some of the “facts” then daly, you big blow hard!!  Oh, right, thoses facts only exist in your head.

The NHL needs to clean house, and I’m not even talking about Bettman.  There should never be this much talk about how the head office of a Pro sports league runs.  Where there is smoke, there’s flame.

Sorry about the rant, but it just maddens me that goonish behavior from the Flyers seems to be endorsed by the NHL!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

25. light_n_tasty says:

Souray is in the AHL for one reason: his contract.  He is a legitimate NHL defenceman.

26. Hobie Hansen says:

Ya his contract that’s the reason…Hey, I don’t really think the Habs will sign him; I just like his team spirit and his willingness to stick up his teammates. He’s not coming back to Montreal! However, to even compare MAB to Souray is nuts! Give your head a shake!

27. kempie says:

Ya know I’ve been thinking the same thing for a couple of weeks now.

28. forskis says:

Looks like it isn’t just PK vs. Richards…we also have a bit of Briere vs. Plekanecs….and it looks Eller is finally getting frustrated…JM please give him some more play time…the kid has earned it through hard work and effort and never complaining.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

29. punkster says:

Why? I’m serious, I can’t see anything in his stats that excite me so what is it that you like?

30. CBrady12 says:

yeah until the next “real test” the week after

31. punkster says:

Good read!

32. D Alcorn says:

It’s hard to make out the face of the guy on the stage in this video but, whoever he is, his ‘ act ‘ is just not acceptable.

IF / IF this is the same ‘ Michael Richards ‘, I’d be very interested in knowing if he was taken to task by the NHL, the Flyers, or Flyers fans.  The guy who took the stage after him immediately apologized to the crowd  – just brutal …

ALWAYS Habs -D Mex

That’s your opinion. Souray is in the AHL for a reason. MAB, we’ll wait and see when he’s ready to play.

34. Mark Bellison says:

I realize we do not have a bona fide tough guy/fighter on the team… And yes the Flyers are a bunch of cheap shot artists. Pronger is teaching the rest of the Flyers well…

However, I’m not sure why everyone is worried about us going into Philly next week… What is great about this bunch of Habs is they don’t back down. One of the biggest differences in this year’s squad is the fact that all the lines go hard to the net and get into those ‘dirty’ areas… Any team that has players willing to do that, shouldn’t worry about their toughness… or how tough the Flyers are…

Besides, in today’s NHL can you afford to give a roster spot to someone just to drop the gloves… I like having 4 lines that JM can roll… and go to the net hard…

These Habs stick up for each other, they are not playing a perimeter game anymore and they don’t back down (vets and rookie alike)…

Yes we have smallish forwards, but they don’t seem to mind getting their noses dirty… Is there the potential that the Flyers can knock someone out of the game with a cheap shot (Halpern yesterday). The answer is yes… But that could happen whether you have a bunch of smurfs or giants on the ice… Your size isn’t going to help you that much is some Philly jerk takes your head off from your blindside..

So now is seems, the ‘real’ test is next Monday…

35. Hobie Hansen says:

Aside from contract, 10/10 GMs would take Souray over MAB.

Respect is not given it is earned. Richards better keep his head up.

Cook and Richards can play the game. But they both suffer from the same sickness. They pick their spots to be tough, mostly blindside chicken yellow hits on rookies or mild mannered players. They both suffer from “small man inferiority” sickness. They want to be bullies because they really are cowards.

Both have been the same way since junior, they back down very quickly when evenly matched.

37. Hobie Hansen says:

Souray being labeled a cancer is a joke. Edmonton was garbage last year and he wasn’t happy with what was going on. In order to make it easier on the fans out there, the management made a big deal out of nothing to lessen the blow of sending him to the minors with such a high salary and big expectations…

He has some issues yes, but leadership and team spirit are not on the list, guaranteed!

38. JIMVINNY says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Subban catches a Flyer coming across the blueline with his head down.  He’s not giong to forget what Richards said, and he has enough pride that he might want to throw it in their faces.  Difference being, Subban hits clean.  Something not too many Flyers know anything about.

39. Chuck says:

Maybe Richards was onto something:

Canadiens issue apology to Flyers

Beleive it or not MAB was a minus player as a forward and a plus as a defenseman. Souray is a career minus player.

41. Dintrox says:

Powe has been added to my list of dirt bags that deserve an ^&% kicking.

December 4, 2009 – Elmer Lach’s jersey took its rightful place with the Rocket’s in the rafters.

I think the Habs should make a play for James Wisniewski. Either via trade or if he makes it to free agency they should try to sign him.

No way Jose, I was glad when he took his team worse -27 out of town or good. Souray is damaged goods and is done in the NHL.

44. rocketsglare says:

The Battle of Belarus should be interesting as the 2 bros go against each other tomorrow night.

Hoping for older bro to uphold the family honor by helping the Habs to make it 5 wins in a row.

45. Hobie Hansen says:

I think he’d gladly break his hand another 5 times to play for the Habs again. If people are suggesting bringing in MAB who’s even worse than Souray defensively, why not consider Souray? Take it easy with his ice time 5on5 and use his shot on the PP. The Oilers will be on the hook for half his ridiculous salary.

I know it’s an off the wall thought but hey; at least he stands up for what’s right at any cost.

46. Matt_in_TO says:

I think Souray might be too much of a locker room cancer now and that hand of his isn’t worth the risk.

I do find it funny how Pierre “The Mouth” McGuire in the video is going on how that was a clean hit.  Armstrong blindsides Saku.

– In Price We Trust

47. Instant Karma says:

It would be nice if they called up a couple bulldogs who can fight and knock the crap out of some flyers incase (when) it gets dirty on Monday.

48. Kooch7800 says:

I have always hated the Flyers with a passion but never minded Richards.  His comments today are a joke.

Powe is running people from behind and laughing about it on the bench and PK needs to learn respect.  Shut your mouth Richards and stop taking cheap shots at people.

49. aemarchand11 says:

I miss souray, but that hand of his has to be a worry now. Hes broken it 3 times in the past year?? Maybe twice..

2010-2011

50. nick says:

Meh… Brodeur has played 70+ games for the last 10 years, I wouldn’t worry about Price if he’s playing this well.

51. aemarchand11 says:

Dont forget this!

2010-2011

52. Hobie Hansen says:

Maybe we should speak to Kevin Lowe, since Markov is done for the season and bring this guy in while Edmonton pays half his salary.

Maybe this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMPx4Dcmo2o would have happened last night after the injuries and people taking shots at Subban?

53. aemarchand11 says:

Best Habs Video from the playoffs last year.

2010-2011

PK was the same here in junior, at 16 he competed the same way against 20 year olds. He was smart enough to stand his ground, but never went out of his way to scrap. But once the bigger guy found out that he was a piece of dynamite, they started to respect his bite and the ice opened up for him.

Respect is not given, it is earned. Richards better keep his head up.

Hey Jim, remember when we could go all night and come back the next night to go again when we were 23yrs.

These kids love it, and they only work 3hrs a day. Hell on the ranch, I worked hard 12hrs per day, 7 days a week.

But you are right, back to back games should be split.!

56. habinypsi says:

I just listened to the Richards quote, I think PK could earn respect like Richards has by trying to dicapitate Richards while his head is down like Richards has done to so many others.

57. forskis says:

Unfortunately Claude Giroux is slowly heading down the path of the Flyers’ mantra of “do as I say, not do as I do” when he asked the Habs on the bench as he skated by to watch the stickwork since he lost a glove…then he later goes on to try to chop down Subban with at least three good solid swings of his stick.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

58. Psycho29 says:

We are all acting shocked about the comments of Mike Richards about PK Subban….but are we really surprised???

Just watch this video of Richards from a few years ago where he goes into a rage, and insults African Americans.

Mike Richards goes crazy and racist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOtU6EjHjoY

59. Danno says:

Or maybe KoKa Kola

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

60. Danno says:

The Habs story keeps getting better and better (with the exception of the Markov injury). Glad to hear Jeff and Josh are okay.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

61. G-Man says:

Price should not play more than 60- 62 games.  He needs to be fresh for the playoffs, not too burnt to survive 1 round.

62. naweed235 says:

i had a dream: ” on monday the flyers keep on hitting subban until a fight breaks out and subban goes against that waste of height pronger and subban knocks him out cold to end his career….”

i woke up in tears of joy

63. GrimJim says:

True, but the first loss was the second half of a back-to-back doubleheader and the second loss Mtl was shutout. The reason for those losses seem to be less about Price needing to recover his form and more about the team in front of him not playing at their peak. Personally, I dislike playing the same goalie in both games of a doubleheader, and I worry about burning out any goalie that plays 70 games per season (see kipprasoff or Brodeur in most playoff years) but Price is playing really well and as Bull Durham says, you have to respect the streak…

64. jimmy shaker says:

Ya, the same Mike Richards who is is on the border of being one of the dirtiest players in the league is chirping about PK.  Memo to Richards……worry about your own team and the goose egg you put up against the habs last night.  And also maybe you should as captain address Powe’s two dirty hits last night.  Suck it up, you got beat, take it like a man and beat it!  What a sieve!

Shaker

65. EastCoastJoe says:

I loved PK’s comments when asked why he thought he was drawing so much attention.  “I don’t know, I must look different or something?”  Sounds like Mike Richards has been drinking too much Cherry kool-aid.

66. GrimJim says:

dbl post, sorry

67. Corio says:

According to Campbell:

No injury?  No supplemental..

68. Corio says:

Glad to hear the boys are ok!

69. Chris1138 says:

So funny! Especially the caption for the picture! lol

Chris

70. joeybarrie says:

Mike Richards……

HMMM, he is one to talk. Head hit to David Booth last year, game misconduct, but no suspension.

By the way, how much has Richards himself accomplished????? What makes him so special that he can talk? Seems like he is acting like a little boy. “Mommy, that kid said something mean to me…”

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

71. shiram says:

I dont think they will sit the hot goalie anytime soon, didnt Price have 2 loss after they started Auld?

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

72. observer says:

Big weekend as all your Toronto fans will be here and receiving a double beating from the Habs Saturday and then from the Als Sunday and even Laval U. will beat Western of London.

73. ganderhab says:

Mike Richards has commented to press that he thinks Subban is too cocky and doesn’t show respect. In a related story he added that Evander Kane is getting uppity and Dustin byfuglien needs to be knocked down a peg or two. Bobby Clarke’s only comment on the matter was that in his opinion Pat Burns is getting a little goofy.

74. sidhu says:

If Carey plays tomorrow, is Auld going to play on Saturday against the Laffs?

Carey is playing very well, I’m just concerned that he may get burned out.  We have a big week, with four games next week, too.