Halpern game-time decision, Weber recalled

PRE-GAME AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Mike Cammalleri

Coach Jacques Martin expects centre Jeff Halpern to play against the Nashville Predators tonight but he’s hedging his bets and calling it a game-time decision. Halpern left Tuesday’s game against Philadelphis after he was drilled into the boards by the Flyers Darroll Powe. Halpern skipped practice Wednesday but was back on the ice this morning.

If Halpern can’t play, he’ll be replaced by Dustin Boyd, who has been a healthy scratch for the past four games and nine of the past 12 games.

Carey Price will start in goal for the 18th time in 19 games this season.

• Meanwhile, the Canadiens today recalled defenceman Yannick Weber from the Hamilton Bulldogs.

The 5-foot-11, 198-pound defenceman has played eight games with the Canadiens in his career. He recorded one assist and eight shots on goal and served six penalty minutes, while averaging 14:20 minutes of ice time per game.

Weber recorded 12 points (8-4-12) in 15 games with the Bulldogs this season. Four of his goals have been tallied on the power play. He is first amongst AHL defencemen in goals and tied for fifth in points. He also collected 51 shots on goal and served 10 penalty minutes.

1. light_n_tasty says:

Because we’re gonna trade Weber for Iginla, straight up, of course.

2. observer says:

weber 8 goals and 4 assists? gauthier may be planning to keep weber here and send subban back down until he learns how to respect quality human beings like richards, powe, carcillo and odonnell.

3. Kamal Panesar says:

So if Halpern is out and Boyd plays, why did they call up Weber?  To sit in the box and watch?

Kamal writes on HabsAddict.com and Hockeybuzz.com. Follow Kamal on Facebook & Twitter.

4. SeriousFan09 says:

Arpon Basu (Who some of you may know as the man behind The Daily Hab-It and a beat reporter for NHL.com) has a new NHL.com feature up on the very underrated Tomas Plekanec.

There’s also a big write-up on Carey Price’s triumphant rise this season by Pierre Lebrun of ESPN.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

5. Hobie Hansen says:

It would be nice if all Tinordi needed was one year in Hamilton and then jumpred right into the NHL like Subban but that doesn’t happen all that often. Plus Tinordi is going to be counted on to add a big physcial presence and he might still be filling out that giant 6’6″ frame of his. I hope he turns out to be just like his dad or a real pain to play against like a Chris Pronger.

6. Corio says:

Really looking forward to tonight’s game!  Hope the guys stay true to their system!

7. ooder says:

SCREWED!!!!

bit bang theory ftw!

——————

88 is the new 23

8. coachdoug says:

lol…Still wish we could have kept Streit…

“Six more years…God Bless You Turtleneck Man!”

9. SeriousFan09 says:

I think Weber was called up for the sake of having a 7th D for now, Habs won with Picard and I don’t think JM is enthused about playing a D on the 4th line since it limits his options like it did last year. Weber is not good enough in his own zone to warrant much TOI in an NHL setting IMO, not with his +/- stats, what I saw in the HAM-TOR game a few weeks ago that CBC broadcast, or pre-season.

JM doesn’t strike me as the kind of coach who would let himself get caught shorthanded for defensive bodies before a game.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

10. Say Ash says:

Streit was channelling Andrei Markov.

11. coachdoug says:

JM hoping Weber can channel some Mark Streit…

Why not try him on the PP?….Got to get the PP going if the Habs want to have a sucessful post season…only part of the puzzle missing right now as their PK is awesome…

Will P&P be amongst the 3 stars again tonight???  I say yes….

“Six more years…God Bless You Turtleneck Man!”

12. habsruleworld says:

As much as I love to see Webbe in right now!

I firmly believe Henry should be seventh D come Sunday in prep for Monday.

If dirty flyers choose BS again when they are losing, we can throw out the big guy. Word

13. habfan53 says:

If he is that good why will he take a couple more ? PK did’nt

14. habfan53 says:

So is Weber going to dress tonight or just take O’Byrnes spot upstairs??. If he does not dress why call him up ? If someone gets hurt during the game he can’t step in.

15. light_n_tasty says:

I think they put him on waivers, but that he remained with the club once he cleared waivers, and was never assigned to Hamilton.

16. habs001 says:

hopefully  weber helps the pp…he is still young so his previous appearances with the habs may not be a true indication of his potential…the one ahl game cbc showed last month he did not look good but maybe he had an off game..

17. thorandresson says:

How about picking up Ballard?  He played for JM in the past… And hasn’t really fit in yet with the Canucks, they benched him for 4 straight games.  I’m floating that around cause he could be had for less than Bieksa.

18. J_P says:

Its good to give your goalie a rest though.  Price shouldn’t play 70 games this year, that’s just ridiculous.  Just looking back the last few playoffs, teams with goalies who started 70+ games had limited success (brodeur, miller, luongo, lundqvist, kipper).

19. light_n_tasty says:

Although, this year,  Komisarek is ahead of Bieksa in goals, assists, points, and hits.

20. Say Ash says:

He makes a lot of brain farts. No player frustrates my Vancouver co-workers more than Bieksa. Just sayin’.

21. joeybarrie says:

Chez Serge (St Laurent), or Stations des Sports (Ste Catherine’s).  OR the Summiters favorite Hurleys.La Cage aux Sports, and possibly Champs… All decent spots for sports.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

22. Born in a Bad Year says:

Would they not have to bring up Boyd, I thought he was put on waivers?

23. Habhopeful says:

Sports station, st. Catherine and fort street, extremly cheap beer, sports all
    around…it’s just great, love it there

“I went to see a fight the other night…And A hockey game broke out!”

~Rodney Dangerfield~

24. W35T5ID3 says:

Living in BC i see alot of the Nucks and i can tell ya Bieksa is the furthest thing from Komisarek.Bieksa is more physical and has a ton more offensive upside.He is precisely what our D corps lacks.

25. Hobie Hansen says:

I would be a very happy man if we landed Bieksa! And I can’t wait for Tinordi to be NHL ready. He’ll be up in a couple years and then take a couple more before making a real impact, we’ll just have to be patient.

26. Hockey Socks says:

I like Bieksa and I like the fact that his contract expires this year. I can see the Habs dealing for him at the trade deadline if Markov won’t be back for the playoffs.

27. habsruleworld says:

I think it is an excellent thing to call up Weber who is currently dominating the AHL.

Predators is an excellent opponent to test Webber against.

I believe habs will really test the predators who will be taking lots of penalties tonight

go habs go, and go weber

I don’t watch ‘Nucks much but I always thought of Bieksa as Komisarek like player. Terrible defensively, like to cross check a lot and rarely has any impact on the opposition. But like I said, i don’t follow Van a lot so it could just be my impression of him.

29. Johnny_D says:

File this under the “it’s funny ’cause it’s true” category. Time to share this with Leaf fans 😉

30. TommyB says:

I’d like to see another defenceman with size, agree with you there.  But as far as leadership back there goes…we have it in spades.  Hammer, Spacek, Gill, and Gorges.  The leadership is there.

31. light_n_tasty says:

I thought Boyd would play if Halpern sits?

32. light_n_tasty says:

Just pay the scalpers and get it over with.   You know you want to.

33. Scotty90 says:

Have not been able to post in a while! I am anxious to see Webber’s progression. Hopefully he is able to work some magic on the PP>. On another topic….. I really hope that Habs go and get Bieksa, depending on the price of course. I think they would be interested in getting Tinordi in return…. but, no way Jose!  Vancouver may also be interested in getting Moen or Pyatt…..  Pyatt ok, but I like Moen.  Bieksa can get points and has a good physical presence. He won’t let anyone take liberties with our young guns. What do you guys and gals think?.

34. mbplekfan says:

I think the Habs know exactly what Weber’s pro’s and con’s are.  They know he is a minus player and defensive liability in Hamilton. They know he isnt very big, he’s not fast, and he doesnt go deep into the corners.

I still feel that if Markov is out for the season we need a veteran back there to take his place.

Weber and a replaceable player like Lapierre might be enough to land a good player from one of the teams with cap issues.

35. Hobie Hansen says:

Go to the Cage at the Centre Bell and try and sneak past the guards and get into the game…

36. TommyB says:

Can’t argue with you on that.  However, I don’t see the Habs ususally conservative-ish management making any bold move just yet.  With the team playing well, it’s a good time to see what you have.  I see the move as the Habs taking another closer look at Weber, rather than them looking to showcase him.

37. joeybarrie says:

What area will you be staying in?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

38. TommyB says:

Well…the Leafs are in town, it’s Saturday night in Montreal….my suggestion, pick one!  Has to be a great night.  How can you go wrong?

39. habsboy says:

I’m going to Montreal this Saturday and would like to find a good bar to watch the game on a big screen. Any suggestions?

40. mbplekfan says:

With PK as our premier offensive defenceman we have little need for Weber. What we do need is some toughness and leadership back there.

A defensively weak shooter doesnt exactly get us what we need.

41. TommyB says:

We’re down one defenceman for the remainder of the year, it looks like, so I can’t imagine trying to showcase one of our own in hopes of generating interest in him. Habs need an extra D-man. You have to have a 7th on hand, and that is why Weber is being called up. If he ends up fitting in, he’ll stay. If not, it’s back to Hamilton for him and the Habs look elsewhere for that 7th defenceman. Maybe another from Hamilton gets a shot, maybe they beat the bushes through the waiver route, or minor trade route.

42. Hobie Hansen says:

Wonder what the plan is with Weber? He’s got 8 goals with Hamilton this year but unfortunately he’s only 5’10”. It will be interesting to see how he handles himself in the Canadiens’ end? If he makes it into a game that is…

43. Drive4twenty5 says:

Im at work today till 9, where should i stream from?

“Well, he’s a thoroughbred, and maybe your wife doesn’t recognize that, but then again, I can’t bake bread all that well. We all have different skills.” …Bob Gainey “Classic”

44. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

What are you talking about? Since when does Gauthier have a history of trading for big contracts?

45. HabsProf says:

So true.

_____________________________________

They brought their f____ing toys with them!

46. andrewberkshire says:

From everything I’ve heard, Gorges is for sure in. Maybe Weber will play forward on the 4th line if Halpern sits out.

Showing what off? Is PG trying to get us another Gomez contract?

48. GrimJim says:

IMO back-up plan. No 7th d with O’B in the mountains and Markov in the woods. What if someone tweaks a muscle during warm-ups? Yet by waiting until today Habs gained a day of cap relief.

What would you be if you were attached to another object by an incline-plan wrapped helically around an axis?

49. mbplekfan says:

Probably a show me call up. I suspect he is part of a package and PG wants to generate interest by showing him off.

50. krob1000 says:

I dub PK the “Philler Killer”!

51. boneheadslanger33 says:

He learned that little fact in June of ’93

52. HabsProf says:

Barry Melrose on Carey Price:  “… and he’s playing in the most pressure packed place in the NHL.  And you could say Toronto is more pressure packed…  Toronto’s not more pressure packed because Toronto doesn’t win.  Montreal wins and they make the playoffs.”

Suddenly, my heart warms to Melrose.

Here’s the link.  He says this at about 1:00.

_____________________________________

They brought their f____ing toys with them!

53. boneheadslanger33 says:

Agree with your logic on staring Auld tonight but it’s pretty hard to justify resting Price after a 41 save shutout performance…

I wonder if it’s just a back-up plan or a Plan B knowing that  Gorges or Halpern can’t play.

55. shiram says:

Well whenever we lose a game, or a players makes a bad play, the trolls will be back here, theres not much to it. But i trust the coaches to do the right thing, they have lead the team thus far to great success.

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

56. thorandresson says:

hmm, will the play him tonight and exploit Nashville’s weak PK (4 goals against the Laughs)?

57. Malreg says:

That’s the beauty of having a designated, veteran back-up.  He doesn’t complain about playing time, and he understands his role.

He’ll play on some back-toback nights.

58. CBrady12 says:

Man this Richards thing has gone so overboard its getting ridiculous…the media sensationalizes every little thing that happens around this team and you guys fall for it hook line and sinker… we have TWO games before monday…lets cross that bridge when we get there no?

59. Corio says:

Yannick Weber called up frm Hamilton!

60. Corio says:

double post and late as well  😛

61. TommyB says:

I understand now what you meant.  But Price is going to have plenty of great games, I have a feeling.  I just don’t want to read on here, a month from now, how we burnt out Price by playing him so often.  This will be the first thing I read on here if the kid hits a bump in the road.  And you know I’m right about that.

62. Harani says:

Yannick Weber has been called up, Canadiens report on Twitter.

Here’s the release!

“It must be love!”

The Preds’ hometown blog page with articles on tonight’s game.

64. TommyB says:

No doubt about it that Price can handle the load.  No argument there.  Back to back games shouldn’t be the only reason to insert your backup goalie.  And I am not taking Nashville lightly, either.  I would be the first to say any team can beat any other on any given night.  What I am looking at, is this game being a lot less emotional than the next two coming up.  In the two emotionally games coming up after this one, you definitely want to go with your best.  From a coaching perspective, I just think this was a perfect time to get Auld some action.  Where is it written that Price must always play 10 games or more in a row before taking a night off?

65. shiram says:

Sergein in an interview posted on yahoo sports says  he had great memories and he liked his time in Montreal. The rest of the team seems to be behind him, and it seems he changed his attitude.

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

66. shiram says:

Hmm no, maybe my english is not up to it, hmm, sitting him out??

Anwyays what i meant is that it would be weird to not play Price after his great play last game.

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

67. shiram says:

Doubled…

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

68. Mark C says:

Auld needs a start, but you can’t sit Price with the way he’s playing right now, that’s just a wasted opportunity. Montreal plays a pair of back-to-back games, next Friday-Saturday and the following Wednesday-Thursday. One would think Auld get two starts in those four games.

69. Mr.Hazard says:
    “Hopefully,
    someone on their team addresses it, because, uh, I’m not saying I’m
    going to do it, but something might happen to him if he continues to be
    that cocky.”
    Like, seriously Richards? What does that mean? It sounds like he’s in the friggin’ mob. Oh wait, I forgot.
  70. TommyB says:

You equivocate putting your backup goalie in for one game to a benching?

71. sholi2000.com says:

There is a back to back next Saturday, Auld will most likely get the Thrashers.  I say treat every game as if it were the final game and we need the two points.  Price can handle 70 games this season. When he’s 38, I say dress him 50 🙂

They Call Me Shane

72. shiram says:

Auld had to know he wouldnt be playing much when he signed here, and its not about “throwing a bone” to someone, its about winning.

Of course Auld will have to play some game, but it wouldnt feel right to bench Price after such a commanding performance against the Flyers.

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

73. TommyB says:

Price tonight.  Am I the only one who was hoping to see Auld?  Auld needs to get another game in soon, and I thought this would be a good time.  With the Leafs coming up, followed by another tilt with the Flyers, you have to figure Price plays both of those as well.  It’s great that Price is playing awesome, but you do have to throw a bone to the other guy once in awhile.

74. Julie H says:

Damn it! I was hoping to hear by now that Halpern would be good to go. I hope he’ll play and I hope PK knocks the snot out of Powe next Monday.

“I know you’re wise beyond your years, but do you ever get the fear that your perfect verse is just a lie you tell yourself to help you get by?”