Halpern game-time decision, Weber recalled

PRE-GAME AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Mike Cammalleri

Coach Jacques Martin expects centre Jeff Halpern to play against the Nashville Predators tonight but he’s hedging his bets and calling it a game-time decision. Halpern left Tuesday’s game against Philadelphis after he was drilled into the boards by the Flyers Darroll Powe. Halpern skipped practice Wednesday but was back on the ice this morning.

If Halpern can’t play, he’ll be replaced by Dustin Boyd, who has been a healthy scratch for the past four games and nine of the past 12 games.

Carey Price will start in goal for the 18th time in 19 games this season.

• Meanwhile, the Canadiens today recalled defenceman Yannick Weber from the Hamilton Bulldogs.

The 5-foot-11, 198-pound defenceman has played eight games with the Canadiens in his career. He recorded one assist and eight shots on goal and served six penalty minutes, while averaging 14:20 minutes of ice time per game.

Weber recorded 12 points (8-4-12) in 15 games with the Bulldogs this season. Four of his goals have been tallied on the power play. He is first amongst AHL defencemen in goals and tied for fifth in points. He also collected 51 shots on goal and served 10 penalty minutes.

1. observer says:

weber 8 goals and 4 assists? gauthier may be planning to keep weber here and send subban back down until he learns how to respect quality human beings like richards, powe, carcillo and odonnell.

2. Kamal Panesar says:

So if Halpern is out and Boyd plays, why did they call up Weber?  To sit in the box and watch?

Kamal writes on HabsAddict.com and Hockeybuzz.com. Follow Kamal on Facebook & Twitter.

3. SeriousFan09 says:

Arpon Basu (Who some of you may know as the man behind The Daily Hab-It and a beat reporter for NHL.com) has a new NHL.com feature up on the very underrated Tomas Plekanec.

There’s also a big write-up on Carey Price’s triumphant rise this season by Pierre Lebrun of ESPN.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

4. Hobie Hansen says:

It would be nice if all Tinordi needed was one year in Hamilton and then jumpred right into the NHL like Subban but that doesn’t happen all that often. Plus Tinordi is going to be counted on to add a big physcial presence and he might still be filling out that giant 6’6″ frame of his. I hope he turns out to be just like his dad or a real pain to play against like a Chris Pronger.

5. Corio says:

Really looking forward to tonight’s game!  Hope the guys stay true to their system!

6. ooder says:

SCREWED!!!!

bit bang theory ftw!

——————

88 is the new 23

7. coachdoug says:

lol…Still wish we could have kept Streit…

“Six more years…God Bless You Turtleneck Man!”

8. SeriousFan09 says:

I think Weber was called up for the sake of having a 7th D for now, Habs won with Picard and I don’t think JM is enthused about playing a D on the 4th line since it limits his options like it did last year. Weber is not good enough in his own zone to warrant much TOI in an NHL setting IMO, not with his +/- stats, what I saw in the HAM-TOR game a few weeks ago that CBC broadcast, or pre-season.

JM doesn’t strike me as the kind of coach who would let himself get caught shorthanded for defensive bodies before a game.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

9. Say Ash says:

Streit was channelling Andrei Markov.

10. coachdoug says:

JM hoping Weber can channel some Mark Streit…

Why not try him on the PP?….Got to get the PP going if the Habs want to have a sucessful post season…only part of the puzzle missing right now as their PK is awesome…

Will P&P be amongst the 3 stars again tonight???  I say yes….

“Six more years…God Bless You Turtleneck Man!”

11. habsruleworld says:

As much as I love to see Webbe in right now!

I firmly believe Henry should be seventh D come Sunday in prep for Monday.

If dirty flyers choose BS again when they are losing, we can throw out the big guy. Word

12. habfan53 says:

If he is that good why will he take a couple more ? PK did’nt

13. habfan53 says:

So is Weber going to dress tonight or just take O’Byrnes spot upstairs??. If he does not dress why call him up ? If someone gets hurt during the game he can’t step in.

14. light_n_tasty says:

I think they put him on waivers, but that he remained with the club once he cleared waivers, and was never assigned to Hamilton.

15. habs001 says:

hopefully  weber helps the pp…he is still young so his previous appearances with the habs may not be a true indication of his potential…the one ahl game cbc showed last month he did not look good but maybe he had an off game..

16. thorandresson says:

How about picking up Ballard?  He played for JM in the past… And hasn’t really fit in yet with the Canucks, they benched him for 4 straight games.  I’m floating that around cause he could be had for less than Bieksa.

17. J_P says:

Its good to give your goalie a rest though.  Price shouldn’t play 70 games this year, that’s just ridiculous.  Just looking back the last few playoffs, teams with goalies who started 70+ games had limited success (brodeur, miller, luongo, lundqvist, kipper).

18. light_n_tasty says:

Although, this year,  Komisarek is ahead of Bieksa in goals, assists, points, and hits.

19. Say Ash says:

He makes a lot of brain farts. No player frustrates my Vancouver co-workers more than Bieksa. Just sayin’.

20. joeybarrie says:

Chez Serge (St Laurent), or Stations des Sports (Ste Catherine’s).  OR the Summiters favorite Hurleys.La Cage aux Sports, and possibly Champs… All decent spots for sports.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

21. Born in a Bad Year says:

Would they not have to bring up Boyd, I thought he was put on waivers?

22. Habhopeful says:

Sports station, st. Catherine and fort street, extremly cheap beer, sports all
    around…it’s just great, love it there

“I went to see a fight the other night…And A hockey game broke out!”

~Rodney Dangerfield~

23. W35T5ID3 says:

Living in BC i see alot of the Nucks and i can tell ya Bieksa is the furthest thing from Komisarek.Bieksa is more physical and has a ton more offensive upside.He is precisely what our D corps lacks.

24. Hobie Hansen says:

I would be a very happy man if we landed Bieksa! And I can’t wait for Tinordi to be NHL ready. He’ll be up in a couple years and then take a couple more before making a real impact, we’ll just have to be patient.

25. Hockey Socks says:

I like Bieksa and I like the fact that his contract expires this year. I can see the Habs dealing for him at the trade deadline if Markov won’t be back for the playoffs.

26. habsruleworld says:

I think it is an excellent thing to call up Weber who is currently dominating the AHL.

Predators is an excellent opponent to test Webber against.

I believe habs will really test the predators who will be taking lots of penalties tonight

go habs go, and go weber

I don’t watch ‘Nucks much but I always thought of Bieksa as Komisarek like player. Terrible defensively, like to cross check a lot and rarely has any impact on the opposition. But like I said, i don’t follow Van a lot so it could just be my impression of him.

28. Johnny_D says:

File this under the “it’s funny ’cause it’s true” category. Time to share this with Leaf fans ;)

29. TommyB says:

I’d like to see another defenceman with size, agree with you there.  But as far as leadership back there goes…we have it in spades.  Hammer, Spacek, Gill, and Gorges.  The leadership is there.

30. light_n_tasty says:

I thought Boyd would play if Halpern sits?

31. light_n_tasty says:

Just pay the scalpers and get it over with.   You know you want to.

32. Scotty90 says:

Have not been able to post in a while! I am anxious to see Webber’s progression. Hopefully he is able to work some magic on the PP>. On another topic….. I really hope that Habs go and get Bieksa, depending on the price of course. I think they would be interested in getting Tinordi in return…. but, no way Jose!  Vancouver may also be interested in getting Moen or Pyatt…..  Pyatt ok, but I like Moen.  Bieksa can get points and has a good physical presence. He won’t let anyone take liberties with our young guns. What do you guys and gals think?.

33. mbplekfan says:

I think the Habs know exactly what Weber’s pro’s and con’s are.  They know he is a minus player and defensive liability in Hamilton. They know he isnt very big, he’s not fast, and he doesnt go deep into the corners.

I still feel that if Markov is out for the season we need a veteran back there to take his place.

Weber and a replaceable player like Lapierre might be enough to land a good player from one of the teams with cap issues.

34. Hobie Hansen says:

Go to the Cage at the Centre Bell and try and sneak past the guards and get into the game…

35. TommyB says:

Can’t argue with you on that.  However, I don’t see the Habs ususally conservative-ish management making any bold move just yet.  With the team playing well, it’s a good time to see what you have.  I see the move as the Habs taking another closer look at Weber, rather than them looking to showcase him.

36. joeybarrie says:

What area will you be staying in?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

37. TommyB says:

Well…the Leafs are in town, it’s Saturday night in Montreal….my suggestion, pick one!  Has to be a great night.  How can you go wrong?

38. habsboy says:

I’m going to Montreal this Saturday and would like to find a good bar to watch the game on a big screen. Any suggestions?

39. mbplekfan says:

With PK as our premier offensive defenceman we have little need for Weber. What we do need is some toughness and leadership back there.

A defensively weak shooter doesnt exactly get us what we need.

40. TommyB says:

We’re down one defenceman for the remainder of the year, it looks like, so I can’t imagine trying to showcase one of our own in hopes of generating interest in him. Habs need an extra D-man. You have to have a 7th on hand, and that is why Weber is being called up. If he ends up fitting in, he’ll stay. If not, it’s back to Hamilton for him and the Habs look elsewhere for that 7th defenceman. Maybe another from Hamilton gets a shot, maybe they beat the bushes through the waiver route, or minor trade route.

41. Hobie Hansen says:

Wonder what the plan is with Weber? He’s got 8 goals with Hamilton this year but unfortunately he’s only 5’10”. It will be interesting to see how he handles himself in the Canadiens’ end? If he makes it into a game that is…

42. Drive4twenty5 says:

Im at work today till 9, where should i stream from?

“Well, he’s a thoroughbred, and maybe your wife doesn’t recognize that, but then again, I can’t bake bread all that well. We all have different skills.” …Bob Gainey “Classic”

43. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

What are you talking about? Since when does Gauthier have a history of trading for big contracts?

44. HabsProf says:

So true.

_____________________________________

They brought their f____ing toys with them!

45. andrewberkshire says:

From everything I’ve heard, Gorges is for sure in. Maybe Weber will play forward on the 4th line if Halpern sits out.

Showing what off? Is PG trying to get us another Gomez contract?

47. GrimJim says:

IMO back-up plan. No 7th d with O’B in the mountains and Markov in the woods. What if someone tweaks a muscle during warm-ups? Yet by waiting until today Habs gained a day of cap relief.

What would you be if you were attached to another object by an incline-plan wrapped helically around an axis?

48. mbplekfan says:

Probably a show me call up. I suspect he is part of a package and PG wants to generate interest by showing him off.

49. krob1000 says:

I dub PK the “Philler Killer”!

50. boneheadslanger33 says:

He learned that little fact in June of ’93

51. HabsProf says:

Barry Melrose on Carey Price:  “… and he’s playing in the most pressure packed place in the NHL.  And you could say Toronto is more pressure packed…  Toronto’s not more pressure packed because Toronto doesn’t win.  Montreal wins and they make the playoffs.”

Suddenly, my heart warms to Melrose.

Here’s the link.  He says this at about 1:00.

_____________________________________

They brought their f____ing toys with them!

52. boneheadslanger33 says:

Agree with your logic on staring Auld tonight but it’s pretty hard to justify resting Price after a 41 save shutout performance…

I wonder if it’s just a back-up plan or a Plan B knowing that  Gorges or Halpern can’t play.

54. shiram says:

Well whenever we lose a game, or a players makes a bad play, the trolls will be back here, theres not much to it. But i trust the coaches to do the right thing, they have lead the team thus far to great success.

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

55. thorandresson says:

hmm, will the play him tonight and exploit Nashville’s weak PK (4 goals against the Laughs)?

56. Malreg says:

That’s the beauty of having a designated, veteran back-up.  He doesn’t complain about playing time, and he understands his role.

He’ll play on some back-toback nights.

57. CBrady12 says:

Man this Richards thing has gone so overboard its getting ridiculous…the media sensationalizes every little thing that happens around this team and you guys fall for it hook line and sinker… we have TWO games before monday…lets cross that bridge when we get there no?

58. Corio says:

Yannick Weber called up frm Hamilton!

59. Corio says:

double post and late as well  :P

60. TommyB says:

I understand now what you meant.  But Price is going to have plenty of great games, I have a feeling.  I just don’t want to read on here, a month from now, how we burnt out Price by playing him so often.  This will be the first thing I read on here if the kid hits a bump in the road.  And you know I’m right about that.

61. Harani says:

Yannick Weber has been called up, Canadiens report on Twitter.

Here’s the release!

“It must be love!”

The Preds’ hometown blog page with articles on tonight’s game.

63. TommyB says:

No doubt about it that Price can handle the load.  No argument there.  Back to back games shouldn’t be the only reason to insert your backup goalie.  And I am not taking Nashville lightly, either.  I would be the first to say any team can beat any other on any given night.  What I am looking at, is this game being a lot less emotional than the next two coming up.  In the two emotionally games coming up after this one, you definitely want to go with your best.  From a coaching perspective, I just think this was a perfect time to get Auld some action.  Where is it written that Price must always play 10 games or more in a row before taking a night off?

64. shiram says:

Sergein in an interview posted on yahoo sports says  he had great memories and he liked his time in Montreal. The rest of the team seems to be behind him, and it seems he changed his attitude.

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

65. shiram says:

Hmm no, maybe my english is not up to it, hmm, sitting him out??

Anwyays what i meant is that it would be weird to not play Price after his great play last game.

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

66. shiram says:

Doubled…

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

67. Mark C says:

Auld needs a start, but you can’t sit Price with the way he’s playing right now, that’s just a wasted opportunity. Montreal plays a pair of back-to-back games, next Friday-Saturday and the following Wednesday-Thursday. One would think Auld get two starts in those four games.

68. Mr.Hazard says:
    “Hopefully,
    someone on their team addresses it, because, uh, I’m not saying I’m
    going to do it, but something might happen to him if he continues to be
    that cocky.”
    Like, seriously Richards? What does that mean? It sounds like he’s in the friggin’ mob. Oh wait, I forgot.
  69. TommyB says:

You equivocate putting your backup goalie in for one game to a benching?

70. sholi2000.com says:

There is a back to back next Saturday, Auld will most likely get the Thrashers.  I say treat every game as if it were the final game and we need the two points.  Price can handle 70 games this season. When he’s 38, I say dress him 50 :)

They Call Me Shane

71. shiram says:

Auld had to know he wouldnt be playing much when he signed here, and its not about “throwing a bone” to someone, its about winning.

Of course Auld will have to play some game, but it wouldnt feel right to bench Price after such a commanding performance against the Flyers.

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

72. TommyB says:

Price tonight.  Am I the only one who was hoping to see Auld?  Auld needs to get another game in soon, and I thought this would be a good time.  With the Leafs coming up, followed by another tilt with the Flyers, you have to figure Price plays both of those as well.  It’s great that Price is playing awesome, but you do have to throw a bone to the other guy once in awhile.

73. Julie H says:

Damn it! I was hoping to hear by now that Halpern would be good to go. I hope he’ll play and I hope PK knocks the snot out of Powe next Monday.

“I know you’re wise beyond your years, but do you ever get the fear that your perfect verse is just a lie you tell yourself to help you get by?”

74. Lazarus_taxa says:

You should write a superficial blog about it.  Criticize the team for standard procedure or something.

75. Corio says:

I forget, was it his knee or shoulder?

76. avatar_58 says:

Oh BOY! MAB at 70% efficientcy! PERFECT

77. Danno says:

Look on the bright side. He’s only at 30 per cent defficiency!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

78. shiram says:

Knee, i think it was the same thing Markov had in the playoffs last season.

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

79. secretdragonfly says:

Wow, talk about a non sequitur……

80. Everlasting1 says:

A piece from The Trailer Park Boys..
    Ricky at a court hearing to plead his case to get his daughter back from Child Services..

” I just want to say is just because Lucy (his gf) spent the night in the drunk tank doesn’t mean she’s a bad mother. I mean, everyone spends nights in the drunk tank. I’ve been in there about 10 times, I’m sure you have (to judge), and you guys have (to Child Services’ reps)..it’s not a big deal, it happens once in a while. The problem is she lives with a girl named Sarah who smokes a ton of weed, and that’s what happened..when Lucy gets drunk she’s fine, she gets drunk and smokes a joint of hash she’s fine, when she gets drunk and smokes a joint of weed..she’s a different person, and that’s why she ended up in the drunk tank..cos of Sarah and her little weed joints. As for the open liquor..I mean, I live in my car, my car is my home, so that shouldn’t be open liquor anyway. You guys must have liquor around your house, probably all kinds of liquor. Cops pull you over your house..how’s that open liquor? Anyways, the big thing is..(bends down to pick up his dropped cig) I have a lot of money coming to me in the next couple of days, which i’m not going to tell you how I’m making it, but it’s a lot of money. Gonna bail my dad out of jail, and I’m going to buy a trailer. He’ll be living there, I’ll be living there, Lucy will be living there, so there’s going to be lots of people watching over Trinity (his daughter) so this can never happen again. If you just release her, send here back to her mom..her mom is great, good mother..that’ll be fine. I’ll look after her once in a while when she is drinking, but other than that she’ll be always watching her. My dad can watch her when he’s not drunk. But tonight I’m getting drunk cos it’s my turn. She got drunk yesterday, this is my day, so when i get her..I’m not going to drink before I get her home, I’m going to take her home, give her to Lucy, Lucy will watch her, then I’ll have some drinks. So yea, I think we’re done here..just pick up my daughter and take her home to Lucy..get drunk.”  lol

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

81. zacshot13 says:

Yea I hear they are trying to get some new D but like give it a few years and our D will be great. Markov is going to resign. Subban, Gorges, Tinordi. Spacek and Hammer are probably gone by either trade deadline or July 1. Gill I don’t know what they will do. But they need some physical big D-men that can score. I would love a guy like Christian Ehrhoff or someone along those lines. But I dont know. With Hammer and Specek gone its like approx 9mill and with that kind of money we can get some solid D-men.

82. zacshot13 says:

Alright I agree, I’m not complaining, I’m just saying that instead of Lapierre on the second line, use Eller and give the kid some confidence. If he keeps on playing 4th line minutes he’s gonna turn into a checker and we may screw up his game like what happens to a lot of our prospects. But I think they should also take it slow but give him some time on the PP.

83. zacshot13 says:

Yea I know you cant just put someone on that line. EX: Pyatt on the line with Geo and G-Luv. That was done to check if there was some chemistry. Clearly Lapierre on that line is not really bringing a scoring touch. He just does not fit. So why not try Eller with AK46 and G-Luv. Or at least to give Eller some confidence, put him on the PP for a shift or so. The kid needs some confidence and some good people to play with on a line. He’s scared to try certain things which I am very happy about in his stage and age. It shows he’s disciplined and that is a great thing that JM is trying to enforce with him.

84. Mattyleg says:

I really want to see Eller do well. But time on the 2nd line has to be EARNED. You don’t get put on the 2nd line to get better: you get put there because you already have.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

85. rocketsglare says:

I think the the team will score enough to be able to win on most night’s (I would love another scoring power forward,

but they are harder to come by and extremely expensive), but my immediate concern is our D, given that most of our

seasoned D-men are older and prone more to fatigue and injury. Weber is simply a short term fix IMO. I believe that

the team will have to upgrade our D at some point in the season. Why not now, especially that Markov will not be re-

turning any time soon.

86. Lazarus_taxa says:

Patience.  Thats why JM is a world class coach and we’re posting on HIO.  Only the future will tell if he is right or not, but one thing is for sure, if an injury hits the top six, Eller’s TOI will go up.  I do not see any logic in making tight games the playground for toddlers.  Eller needs time, but he hasn’t really contibuted yet, therefore he sits.  One shift is all he needs to score, but it hasn’t happened yet.  So be it.  Right now the team is winning, impressively I might add, so I don’t think it’s time to start complaining about coaching tactics.

87. shootdapuck says:

Khabibulin going to IR???

Or is he just going to Sheriff Joe Arpiao’s jail to serve his DUI sentence?

Interesting approach!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

88. since1988 says:

“When people agree with me i always feel that i must be wrong” – Oscar Wilde

89. since1988 says:

LeBruns article on Price this season

“When people agree with me i always feel that i must be wrong” – Oscar Wilde

90. avatar_58 says:

Anyone else confident a player whom they basically told “we don’t need you anymore” is going to play hard? Yeah me neither. Here’s hoping Halpern plays

91. Trenton_Romulox says:

Yeah, but if Boyd plays hard and plays well then he’ll be likely to be the guy who they use when someone gets hurt again down the road versus bringing someone doing well in Hamilton up for the job.

92. thorandresson says:

Well, any team in the league could’ve picked him up and they didn’t, so his motivation is to stick in the NHL.

93. TommyB says:

I think you are wrong about that.  Boyd knew he was caught in the numbers game.  Plus, he was placed on waivers which could have given him the chance to play elsewhere in the NHL.  He wasn’t picked up.  He could have been sent to Hamilton, but the Habs kept him around, on his NHL salary.  Do you really think he has any animosity towards this team?  He’ll be happy to be given another opportunity.

94. G-Man says:

Why don’t you think Boyd won’t have a fire lit under his a$$?

95. dudurules says:

I think boyd will play his ass off tonight!

96. Willy the bum says:

Playing the way like that girl’s booty from your avatar?

97. secretdragonfly says:

Also loved Kosto…and don’t forget Moore and Boullion, all cut from the same cloth.

98. Mikey_39 says:

HELLAS!!! It sucks to not have a fellow patriot representin’ on the habs.  And ya, he couldn’t fight but he was all heart, ready to back up his teammates at any moment.

I hope he does well in Calgary!

99. Mattyleg says:

On an unrelated note:

Good luck to Tom Kostopolous, King of Greektown, now heading to the Flames. I think he’ll be able to have an impact there, moreso than with the Hurricanes (and we won’t have to see him here!). I loved that guy. Great guts, terrible fighter, but that never stopped him from throwin’ em down and having a dance.

We love those guys in this city, because we know what a great addition they are to a team: Bégin, Metro, Kosto, Downey…

We don’t really have that guy on the team now. Who’s the next one for the Habs? Halpern? White?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

100. ths says:

OK. Philly has threatened to take thier heads offf and they recall Webber ?

Is there anyone over 6 feet who could swing a stick and fist and make a decent pass and skate a bit ?

Guy Boucher would have found somebody

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

101. HFX-HabFan says:

The call-up was made so that we could see Weber vs. Weber.

102. zacshot13 says:

Hahah

They should recall Alex Henry or Andrew Conboy

103. likehoy says:

who are you??

- I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

104. Willy the bum says:

PK will possibly get his head off by one of the Predators players (or any player from the opposition), that’s why they need Webber as the 7th.

But I would send up a muscle guy from the ‘Dogs to protect his teammates, if I were Gauthier.

And for Halpern, he needed a good day off.  That injury is quite nasty, I still don’t know why the league organization didnt suspend that guy who made the hit.

105. Mattyleg says:

“Guy Boucher would have found somebody”

…does anybody else hear this being said in a very high girly voice?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

106. Mattyleg says:

Imagine the ramifications….

(cosmic music plays)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

107. HFX-HabFan says:

Continuing on with the “debut roster” series, here is a roster comprised exclusively of current NHLers who made their league debut in a Predators uniform:

Hartnell-Peverley-Hornqvist

Erat-Legwand-Tootoo

Upshall-Fiddler-Jones

O’Reilly-Wilson-Spaling

Suter-Weber

Timonen-Hamhuis

Zanon-Zidlicky

Franson

Mason

Rinne

Total cost:  $57.18mil, or $2.22mil under the salary cap.  Not a lot of firepower up front, but a heck of a blueline, and a decent platoon tandem in net.  Now if only their coach could find his neck…

There has been so much nonsense made of our rookie out skating teams, that really, nothing is going to happen. It is a game of intimidation, and PK does not get intimidated one bit. He is not cocky at all, he is just very good.

Lets get two more points tonight.

109. Say Ash says:

Where’s mike g? Busy buying another Richards jersey?

110. rocketsglare says:

Pierre McGuire on Team 990 defended O’Byrne’s play so far for the Avs. Very interesting takes by McGuire.

111. Willy the bum says:

Amen, Ian!

112. likehoy says:

I gotta say I absolutely can’t stand Mike Richards…

Hated him since 2008 when the flyers eliminated us in the 2nd round.

still hate him today.

- I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

113. habguy says:

anyone as long as his name isn’t MAB.

114. Corio says:

Halpern will play..

115. Mattyleg says:

Yeahyeahyeah!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

116. OneTimer says:

General question for HIO:

what are the best 3rd lines in hockey? I know PHD doesn’t exactly have star power (3rd line star, oxymoron?), but I want to know who to compare these to…discuss

117. thorandresson says:

maybe Vancouver’s?  Malholtra-Torres-Hansen or the Flyers 3rd line

118. habrez says:

Bozak-Kessel-Versteeg

119. Propwash says:

I’d let Halpern rest up a bit more, as much as I’d like the Habs to win this game, he shouldn’t be thrown back in ’till he’s 100% ready to go.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

120. shiram says:

It would make for a great opportunity to give some more ice time to Lars Eller as well.

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

121. Corio says:

They wouldn’t put him back in if he had an actual concussion…

122. Mike says:

Agreed, depending on boyds attitude and how Martin feels, I would either use him or call up White.

123. Mattyleg says:

Hahahaa!!! Best ever!!

I’d forgotten about that, and was watching it thinking: “uhh, I hope there’s a punchline…”

Made it even more delicious.

Did you know I called him King of Greektown because the Hellenic Society of Montreal asked him to be the ‘King’ of the Greek Independance Day parade up in Park Ex?

Good guy.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

124. gauver says:

I was listening to Darren Dreger on the radio on my way home yesterday and he said that Nashville may not match a really agressive offer for Shea Weber at the end of this season (he is an RFA) due to their financial limitations.  Assuming we could get him during the off-season, would anybody here support signing him instead of Markhov?

I was checking his stats versus other d-men last season, looking for a comparable.  Based on total points, power play points, hits, blocked shots and total time on ice per game, I came up with Chara, Timonen, Edler and Rafalski.  Considering his age (25), I am thinking that it would cost between $6 to $7 million per season for five seasons; maybe less per season but for longer term.

Does anyone else think that this would be worth a try?

125. rocketsglare says:

I have to believe that Weber’s call up is to add punch to the PP. Now, they may also may be show casing

him in case a trade opportunity happens to present itself in the near future. I just don’t think Weber is in

the long term plans of this team, given his size and one dimensional play. The Habs should look at a big,

physical D-man, who can move and shoot the puck. Hopefully there could be such a D-man that could be

had without blowing the team’s cap space. But regardless for the reason for Weber’s call up, I can only in-

vision the move as a temporary fix.

126. zacshot13 says:

Yea, I hear what you are saying exactly. We need a big D-man that is physical and is good offensively. Weber is small and not great defensively. There are rumors going around that we are interested in a guy like Robyn Reghier, Kevin Bieksa (im not a fan too much. Not that much of an offensive upside).

I also find that since we are a small offensive team, we tend to get hit off the puck too much and we need to get a big power forward that can score and get into corners well. Like I want to see Pacioretty and or Eller in the top six. I really do not like the way Martin plays Eller. Martin says that he will play Eller more if Eller scores. How do you expect Eller to score when you are putting him with guys like Moen or Pyatt and playing 8:00avrg per game.

127. Corio says:

Ya the kid needs more ice time, it is starting to affect his confidence..

128. habaddict_andy says:

Another bitter sweet situation.  I am more inclining to giving Eller a chance.

Scott Gomez to Montreal Media “You’re a pain in the neck, but you’re our pain in the neck.”

129. SeriousFan09 says:

Here’s hoping he’s ready to go, that 3rd line of Pouliot/Halpern/Darche is a good edge to use against teams that don’t have much depth like NSH.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

130. Kooch7800 says:

Sweet Avatar.  That is awesome

131. habaddict_andy says:

Timo?

132. Corio says:

Eklund tweeting that Habs are working on signing MA Bergeron.. I asked him for a source..

133. avatar_58 says:

The voices in his head

134. shiram says:

Well even if they would sign him, he probably wouldnt be game ready untill December.. Wait and see i guess.

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

135. Danno says:

His source? Of course, he heard it from a horse.

Not the horse’s mouth, but a little further south.

The tail end my friend are where Eklund’s rumours are penned….

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

136. Mr.Hazard says:

His source is 2-week old Antichambre chatter.

137. HabsFanInTampa says:

Ecklund is tweeting about the wrong team then. This was in this morning’s St. Petersburg Times: http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hockey/lightning/tampa-bay-lightning-looks-at-free-agent-defenseman-marc-andre-bergeron-for/1134989

138. thorandresson says:

So what’s the deal with Boyd?  He clears waivers and now he’s back on the team again?  I thought he would have had to report to Hamilton?  Or is that only if the team assigns him there?   Is he basically like a player on a 2-way contract now?

139. habaddict_andy says:

I was wondering the same thing.  I wonder if this move chances the contract to 2 way contract like you said.

140. secretdragonfly says:

I’ll always remember the story about the kids who lived on his street playing road hockey; one of them asks “Would you like to play, Mr. Kostopoulos?”  He replies, “Don’t call me Mr. Kostopoulos” and the kid says “OK, would you like to play, Kosto?”   Classic.

141. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

I don’t mind Tony, atleast he’s talking hockey and not constantly playing Bob Dylan music and kissing PM’s a$$.

142. habstrinifan says:

Think Tony does a great job. I dont see the HATE? I listened to the conversation and you are taking 2 sentences way out of context. Tony has great respect for PK and has made many coments about PK’s willingness to back himself on the ice. Also Tony was 100 percent right on Markov. He is in PG/JM blacklist but that is because he is doing his job.. and still being a HABS fan non-pareil

I am not the source… I just make it happen. MAB is coming back, baby, and there ain’t nothin’ anyone can do to stop it!

144. shiram says:

Hmm the Bolts might have something to say about that!

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

145. Storm Man says:

I won’t let it happen. I will tell PG he has to eat a steak to bring MAB back :).

146. habaddict_andy says:

Hummm…  Maybe Eklund’s been reading this site.  Maybe I have been the source of Eklund.

147. Corio says:

Umm, no.  My twitter account is:

148. J_P says:

I used to enjoy his show a few years back, but once his show started getting more popular, he just started coming off as arrogant, and like someone who simply enjoys the sound of their own voice.  I think he did too many shows with PJ stock…

149. Habs fan in SF says:

i really can’t stand tony marinaro on team 990. he was just saying how pk subban needs to back up his trash talking and then andie bennet came in and corrected him by saying he WAS ready to drop the gloves and fight. DUDE, tony, did you not watch the game? ugh…tony is pretty annoying. never liked his show and now he’s covering for mitch the rest of the week

150. Chuck says:

Perhaps Tony should have PK on his show, then Subban could bitch-slap him around for an hour.

Canadiens issue apology to Flyers

151. habsfan_61 says:

darn straight. cant stand marinara.thinks he’s  a big shot know it all. just the sound of his voice makes my stomach turn. i wonder if he has any nasty pics of management cause i have no clue how he has a job

152. rocketsglare says:

Marinaro had no response when Andie told him that P.K. was ready and willing to back up his trash talk.

One of the few times Marinaro is left speechless. Good for Andie.

153. J_P says:

Shea Weber is exactly what the montreal canadiens need, and i would replace markov with Shea Weber without even thinking about it.  He’s also probably my favorite defenseman in the national hockey league.

HOWEVER, and this is a HUGE however.  Shea Weber is RFA not UFA, and is easily a $6 million dollar D-man on the open market (if not more).  In 2009, the compensation would have been, for a salary in roughly the 6-7.5 million range, 2 firsts, a second and a third round draft choice.

It would definitely be a lot to give up if we werent so useless at drafting quality defensemen with our first round draft choices.  However, considering our ineptitude when it comes to drafting quality with our first round picks, I guess it wouldn’t be the biggest deal.

154. GrimJim says:

It’s two separate steps. Player is placed on waivers, giving other teams a chance to claim him. If no other team wants him then Montreal has the right to assign him if they choose. Montreal never assigned him to Hamilton, so he never left the Habs active roster, so he has remained with the club all this time, so he’s available to play.

155. thorandresson says:

Thanks for clarifying, so my question now is can Montreal assign him to Hamilton at any point during the season now without having him clear waivers again?  With the caveat that if he is called back, any team could claim him at re-entry waivers at half the price?

156. shiram says:

I think you got it right.

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

157. Bar says:

I believe they have the option of sending him down for a month, before they would have to put him on waivers again.

158. OldGrover says:

It is worth clarifying that waiver status and contract status are too different things – whether a player is on a one-way or two-way contract only has to do with money and has nothing to do with whether they can be assigned to the minors or not and nothing to do with whether they will need to clear waivers to do so.

One way contracts just mean they get paid NHL wages whether they are in the AHL or the NHL, two way contracts have different pay rates for the different leagues.

Waiver status has to do with a combo of # of games played in career, age, # of years in the NHL, etc, but has nothing to do with the contract. Basically, once someone has played enough in the NHL, they need to clear waivers.  This allows young players to get moved back and forth, but once someone has been established, other teams get the chance to grab ‘em.

159. OldGrover says:

This is the definitive resource on waivers : http://www.nhlscap.com/waivers.htm

(well, other than reading the CBA yourself)

160. Harani says:

Price is playing unconscious right now. In the past 4 wins he has a 0.978 SV% and 0.75 GAA. And that too against teams like Vancouver, Boston, Carolina and the Flyers. UNREAL!In addition to rackign up the wins, he’s exhibiting the confidence he showed when he played once upon a time. It’s an awesome story really and I see no reason why it would stop now. Go Carey!

Here’s Pierre LeBrun’s article on Carey!

“It must be love!”

161. J_P says:

He certainly silenced a lot of critics.

The kid’s problem was always between the ears.  It was never of question of talent.  He was young, and thrust into a starting role in a pressure packed market, it was natural that there would be bumps in the road and some confidence issues.  Now. without the pressure of a starting goalie as a back-up, and the support of his teammates, everything has fallen into place so far, and good on him!

162. SeriousFan09 says:

Prospect Update:

The WHL/Russian All-Stars Super Series starts tonight, both games feature WHL scoring ace Brendan Gallagher and according to Habs Prospects, they have a webcast for the game.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

163. ABHabsfan says:

The Dub played the Russians last night, Russians won in a shoot-out. They will play again tonight, last game of the series, and will feature Brendan Gallagher, who did not play last night. I am looking forward to seeing this guy go, the game should be starting just as the Habs’ game is finishing.

164. andrewberkshire says:

NHL.com posted the 5 best saves of the year so far. 2/5 were Carey Price.

165. SeriousFan09 says:

Actually it’s 3 out of 10 if you click the arrow to the side.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

166. rocketsglare says:

The accolade is well deserved. Good to see Carey being recognized for his phenomenal play.

167. Chuck says:

I’m not surprised. Who topped the booby list?  :)

Canadiens issue apology to Flyers

168. matraque says:

Guess who gets goal of the year!

——

Canadien en 5!

Never go Full Retard

169. andrewberkshire says:

Wow, didn’t even notice that. Unreal how great he’s been this season.

170. J_P says:

Not really that unreal.  The only thing he was lacking in the past couple of seasons was confidence.  Now he has the confidence of his teammate, the confidence of his coach, and doesnt have to worry about someone pushing him for ice time.  Despite what you may have read in this space since “the trade”, there was nothing wrong with Carey Price, he went through a little downturn, and we just needed to be patient.

I just hope we dont overwork the kid.  Sure, he’s young, but anyone who watches hockey other than just the habs knows how 70+ regular season starts works out for goalies come playoff time.

171. Mattyleg says:

Shut up!! 2 out of 5 is better!

;-)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

172. habaddict_andy says:

Wow, I just noticed your avatar.  Pretty cool dude!

173. habsfan_61 says:

just a couple of observations.about time we called up weber. its make or break for him in this organization. give him a shot, cant be worse than mab plus he’s on entry level pay. he has good shot lets see how he does on the pp.as far as richards goes stfu and just play you hypocrite. take a look in the mirror before you speak about respect.just curious what goes down monday in philly. go habs go.

174. vic says:

Weber to replace OBurne in the press box.

JM needs someone there