Halpern game-time decision, Weber recalled

PRE-GAME AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Mike Cammalleri

Coach Jacques Martin expects centre Jeff Halpern to play against the Nashville Predators tonight but he’s hedging his bets and calling it a game-time decision. Halpern left Tuesday’s game against Philadelphis after he was drilled into the boards by the Flyers Darroll Powe. Halpern skipped practice Wednesday but was back on the ice this morning.

If Halpern can’t play, he’ll be replaced by Dustin Boyd, who has been a healthy scratch for the past four games and nine of the past 12 games.

Carey Price will start in goal for the 18th time in 19 games this season.

• Meanwhile, the Canadiens today recalled defenceman Yannick Weber from the Hamilton Bulldogs.

The 5-foot-11, 198-pound defenceman has played eight games with the Canadiens in his career. He recorded one assist and eight shots on goal and served six penalty minutes, while averaging 14:20 minutes of ice time per game.

Weber recorded 12 points (8-4-12) in 15 games with the Bulldogs this season. Four of his goals have been tallied on the power play. He is first amongst AHL defencemen in goals and tied for fifth in points. He also collected 51 shots on goal and served 10 penalty minutes.

1. Mattyleg says:

Totally!

Whenever Pleks has the puck, something happens. I was saying that Tues. night to my bud, and a minute later, he scored.

It’s good being the king…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

2. Mattyleg says:

So, it’s The Underrated Arpon Basu?

Think he relates to Plekky?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

3. Mattyleg says:

He needs to practise with the team. Get used to the other players in case he’s needed.

…and there have been countless horror stories of callups missing planes, etc etc.

Lemme axe you this too: if you were in the minors and you got the chance to even just hang with the Big Team, do you think you’d learn a thing or two?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

4. habaddict_andy says:

A practice with the team helps too even if he’s not playing with the team.

Scott Gomez to Montreal Media “You’re a pain in the neck, but you’re our pain in the neck.”

5. Kamal Panesar says:

True, but it doesn’t take a week to get from Hamilton to Montreal. i.e. If there is an injury Weber can meet the Canadiens in any North American city within 12 hours.

I only question why he is called up if he is not going to play…which, ultimately, means to me that he WILL play very soon.

Kamal writes on HabsAddict.com and Hockeybuzz.com. Follow Kamal on Facebook & Twitter.

6. Ayan_SB says:

I like Arpon’s Basu’s articles a lot. But I don’t really remember hearing much about him a few years ago, and all of sudden, it seems like he’s everywhere (CTV, NHL.com). I’m not being a hater lol, I’m actually wondering how he came to be in the spotlight all of a sudden. Good for him though, he’s like a 6th round draft pick that pans out.

7. SmartDog says:

Don’t need to read it.  Pleks has never been under-rated in my house.

He plays so smar and so well. To me he’s better to watch than Subban.  Every shift.

——- Anyone know how to italicize sigs? Used to be able too…

8. J_P says:

I actually agree that maybe Henry should be called up as our 7th D-man.  Weber sitting in the press box doesnt do anything for us, nor does it do anything for the bulldogs.

As much as I would love to see Weber show us if he’s getting closer to being NHL ready, alternating between playing and healthy scratch on a short leash won’t really prove much.  I can see him being on the third pairing in a limited role, with second unit powerplay duty, but do we really sit Picard for Weber?

9. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

He does both gigs, he’s been with ESPN for 2 years now.

Goldstein has a piece on Price at CBS. http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/story/14312772/price-stands-on-his-head-to-win-back-habs-faithful

10. zacshot13 says:

Hey everyone I think it was a great callup, considering how well he is doing in Hamilton. The only problem I find with Weber is his defensive play. I think the reasons why they had called him up can be: that since Gorges didnt attend practice maybe they think that he can’t play (but he is going to play) or another thing can be that there is something going down in regards to a trade or something along those lines. Everyone is talking about MAB coming back. Dont think its a good idea; this always happens. They sign someone and then that doesnt allow our prospects to show what they really got. So I say use Weber at the point on the PP paired with Spacek and then we’ll see what he got. Remember he also has a wicked shot from the point and is a right shot.

11. zacshot13 says:

12. observer says:

Moving fast? He was with CBC last spring.

13. shiram says:

Great read, and good to see him get some recognition, now that we locked him down!

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

14. J_P says:

The habs tend to play down to their competition, I hope that they’ve moved on from that phase and come out firing.  Barry Trotz’ Preds always work hard, so taking them lightly would be a huge mistake.

15. Corio says:

Yes, you need a 7th defenseman ready in case of injury..

16. light_n_tasty says:

Because we’re gonna trade Weber for Iginla, straight up, of course.