Halak won’t be in goal for Islanders against Canadiens

Fans who were hoping to see a Carey Price vs. Jaroslav Halak goaltending battle when the Canadiens visit the New York Islanders Tuesday night are going to be disappointed.

While Price will be in goal for the Canadiens (7 p.m., SNE, RDS, TSN Radio 690) Halak won’t start for the Islanders. Instead, Chad Johnson will be in goal for New York.

Following Tuesday’s morning skate in Uniondale, N.Y., Canadiens coach Michel Therrien told reporters that no changes will be made to his roster, meaning defencemen Mike Weaver and Bryan Allen will join forward Michael Bournival as scratches.

Price and former teammate Halak have very similar stats this season. Price has an 18-9-1 record with a 2.27 goals-against average, .924 save percentage and two shutouts. Halak is 18-6-0 with a 2.24 GAA, .919 save percentage and three shutouts. Johnson has a 5-4-0 record with a 3.59 GAA and .868 save percentage.

The Islanders have won a league-leading 23 games this season and Halak has won 18 of those. He also earned a place in the Islanders’ record book with 11 consecutive wins, eclipsing the mark of 10 set more than three decades ago by Hall of Famer Billy Smith.

“(The record) feels great, but it’s a team effort,” Halak told the Montreal Gazette’s Pat Hickey on Monday in New York. “Some of the games went to shootouts. Back then, there were no shootouts, it was either regulation or OT. In a shootout, it’s always 50-50 and the guys have scored some big goals for me. If the team plays well in front of me, there’s a good chance we’ll get two points.”

Halak, who was traded by the Canadiens to the St. Louis Blues after the 2009-19 season in exchange for Lars Eller, has a lifetime 4-0 record against the Habs with a 0.98 GAA.

Here’s how the Canadiens’ lines and defence pairings are expected to look against the Islanders:

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Sekac-Plekanec-Prust
Desharnais-Eller-Parenteau
Andrighetto-Malhotra-Weise

Markov-Subban
Gonchar-Emelin
Gilbert-Beaulieu

(Photo by Ryan Remiorz/The Canadian Press)

Habs start trip against Islanders before break, nhl.com

Game notes

Game Day Report, canadiens.com

Game preview, islanders.nhl.com

Pacioretty rounds out game, nhl.com

Things finally looking up for Islanders, by Montreal Gazette’s Pat Hickey

A Christmas miracle (sort of), by Montreal Gazette’s Christopher Curtis

1. frontenac1 says:

Hola Amigos! Welcome to Fronts Live blog from Kingston Ont. Sweden vs iUSa. I’m hammered. Over and out.

2. Maritime Ronn says:

Chad Johnson is making his first start since Dec. 9

3. twilighthours says:

Game blog is up, y’all

4. Phil C says:

As long as fighting is a part of the rules (only penalized by a 5 minute coincidental penalty), it will ebb and flow. I heard all of this before after the 2nd lockout with the “new” NHL that favours speed and skill, that the slow enforcers will be a thing of the past…right up until the Ducks and Brian Burke bullied their way to the Cup in 2007. The following season, fighting spiked up again to pre-lockout levels.

• lafortune says:

Perhaps, but the trend is definitely going down:

Graph here

Including Preseason

edit:
      but you’re right, it could spike back up…

I think its interesting to note that in the preseason guys are still punching the lights out of one another to prove they can make it… only to have less fighting in the regular season.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Just a note, your graphs are not as clear as they could be. One of them starts from this year and goes backward in time, the other does the opposite. When presenting data in a graph form, you should try to ensure that they are such that you can spot the trend at a glance, with consistent X and Y axes, and so on.

• lafortune says:

Ha! Oopsie daisy. Yeah I had switched the order on the first one, then got excited while making the second one, and didn’t do the same.

Thanks for pointing that out! In the future I’ll be more careful!

Fixed

5. The Jackal says:

Some fretting down below about the game becoming less dynamic, with less scoring, etc., queued by the decline and ostensibly inevitable extinction of the five goal game. I think that ultimately, there will be more skill in the NHL than ever before, and the game will adapt to that. Maybe scoring won’t be as high as in the 80’s, but with enforcers going the way of the dodo, the fourth line is opening up to becoming one more deep line of skaters who can defend and provide offence.

I think that that will eventually make it so that the game plays up to the increased skill and talent that is becoming the norm. With so many highly talented youngsters coming in by the boatload, and with the sun setting on one-dimensional players, I think the future of the sport is one that is highly reflective of the high-end talent that has been developing in the past decade or so.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• krob1000 says:

The problem is the exciting one dimensional scorer is also leaving the game…. along with the one dimensional fighter…but the one dimensional faceoff guy? keeper for sure.

• twilighthours says:

Man why? Whyyyyyyyy?

• The Jackal says:

Hehe, come on krob, let’s not turn this into an MM battle for the hill 😀

Players who can’t contribute offensively are becoming more marginalized. There is use for specialists, for sure, but I think the trend is that more complete players are entering the league.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Landof10000lakesHab says:

Well, that’s a fairly optimistic outlook for this site. I may not totally agree, but good job!

Halak is jsut scared of DD.

7. HabFab says:

Connor Crisp suspended 3 games for attempting to impress Front;

Free HH!

• 24 Cups says:

I’m not sure if a guy like Crisp will ever be a hockey player. Maybe more of a goon like back in the day. The only problem is that the league is moving away from one dimensional players.

My hope is that Tinordi and McCarron can become secondary regulars who will also keep the other team honest and engage in the odd fight to keep the other team on its heels.

24 Cups

I just watched the newest HI/O video.

You can say what you want about Jack Todd but he has a handle on every Hab player in terms of their strengths and weaknesses. This guy knows his stuff.

The consensus seems to be building that Pacioretty will be the next captain. It might bruise Subban’s feelings but personally I’d rather have the 72M.

Glad to hear Stu Cowan use the term Merry Christmas as well as Happy Holidays and Happy New Year.

Lastly a question about the two young kids who came onto the show at the end. Are they Stu Cowan’s children or has The Headmaster been keeping secrets from his faithful followers?

24 Cups

• krob1000 says:

Froma management persepctive smart play would be to give the C to the guy who is signed more affordably. PK is going to have enough to answer over the next 8 years everyt ime his game struggles a bit with is contract…will take everything he has to earn that. If he plays his best he iw worth it…anything less and it is overpayment ….given that and the Montreal micorscope I think it would be best to give it to Patch. No matter what Patch does he is not going to get that criticism….he willl always be near the team lead in scorin gand quite honestly the added elements to his game are turning him into a complete player that is someone to aspire to play like. He could stand to stick up for a teammate every now and then if that is the goal (C) but I lik ehim far better than PK for that choice. PK also leads team in minor pim’s and that is not very becoming of a captain. A captain nedds to lead by example…. not necessarily be the best player but it always helps if they are also very good players. The only concern I have with Patch is that I see Chcuky as potentially being the captain down the road…almost wish tehy would award it to Marky or Pleks sot aht it can open up again in a couple of years without a controversy if htat makes any sesne.

• 24 Cups says:

That has been my point from the very get go. In terms of candidates, there is no doubt Gallagher is the best choice. It’s just the timing and age factor that will keep him from wearing the “C”.

24 Cups

• krob1000 says:

I am not sure if Gally is the guy you want communicating with officials

• 24 Cups says:

My mistake. Got my nicknames mixed up. I have never thought of Galchenyuk as captain material.

Your point about Gallagher and the refs makes sense but their is no better role model or leader on this team than Gallagher. If Stan Mikita can change his spots then so can Gallagher.

24 Cups

• krob1000 says:

Right now I do not see Chucky as captain material either …but I can see him becoming one once he matures.

• 24 Cups says:

Rob – I met your wife today while shopping in Kingston. She told me on the QT that she bought you a Manny Malhotra sweater as a Christmas present. I hope you’re ok with this:)

Merry Christmas to one of the most astute guys on the site. All the best to you and yours, Rob.

24 Cups

• on2ndthought says:

The Wolverine is an absolute beast. He is also ahead in the ‘captaincy’ quota (a family man who clearly wants or is willing to take on the role). My unmistakable feeling is that PK is the true leader of this team on the ice, Carey the quiet leader off the ice. Does the ‘C’ have to reflect this reality?

“a cannonading drive”

9. JF says:

Very strange move by Capuano. Unless Halak is sick or injured, I would have thought he’d want to face the Habs. By the numbers, his absence certainly gives us an advantage.

• 24 Cups says:

Jane – We discussed this earlier in the day and some people felt that maybe the Islanders were giving Halak a one week break to help keep him fresh.

Both teams have met their objectives the past ten days so this game is basically icing on the cake for the team that wins it. It’s certainly not a must win in any way.

Having said that, if Montreal doesn’t score the first goal of the game on John/son, then the advantage you mention evaporates in a nano second.

24 Cups

• on2ndthought says:

Actually, I hope this game is the difference maker for home ice advantage in the second round of the playoffs. Seems like a ‘thumb your nose’ at the Habs and the fans who bought tickets.

“a cannonading drive”

10. JUST ME says:

For me this game is not as much a measuring stick but falls in the must win category . The Isles are for real and we must win those 2 big points and battles now rather than later. Our guys are up to the challenge . Although i enjoy every minute of the Bruins 2014 season (cough cough) ,and the Laughs au naturel, i know that our faith is in our hands and we just need to win ! Simple !
    It`s O.K. for Jaro to be off because he needs those breaks. He is my second favorite goalie after Carey but cannot handle more than 40 to 50 solid games a year so it`s a wise move by the coach to have him rest.
    And i have been a good boy and would deserve that christmas gift !

11. --Habs-- says:

FYI – Charles Hudon is near the top of the league in points as a rookie…..31 points in 30 games and a + 9….. 3 points behind the league leader.

“Habs” Watch and learn….! Or Not!

• piper says:

His back must be holding up well. He has looked good in all of the few games i’ve seen him play in junior. I hope to get down to the Hammer a couple of times in the new year.

12. FormalWare says:

Hanging Chad.

(Out to dry.)

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

13. kerrgte says:

… so here I am in the Algarve for the winter. I’m 5 hours ahead and I’ll be unable to stay awake for the game.

Kind of cool here actually, low 60’s, but the nights are even cooler without central heating.

I do like the new line-up. I’m hoping this stays fixed for a while and that Sven A gets a good chance to prove himself.

A win tonite would be proof of the pudding

Happy Christmas all
    george k

14. FormalWare says:

Halak is ducking Price. Wants to preserve his perfect record. Running scared!

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

15. Harditya says:

Haven’t posted much of late, but I just wanna say I love you all. 😉
    Habby Holidays!

• mdp2011 says:

Ah yes, the infamous shoe incident. Milbury, once a douche, always a douche.

• on2ndthought says:

la plus ca change:

“What bothers me,” said Hedberg, “is that they’re letting hooking, holding and interference go and thereby giving the advantage to these guys who can’t skate. Is that fair?”

“a cannonading drive”

16. Slack says:

Chad who?

—————————————————
    “Goodnight Austin, Texas, wherever you are…”

• Hobie says:

He’s like a caged dog down there my friend. Weaver, Gonchar and Allen will be gone next year and Tinordi will be set lose. Don’t worry my friend, we’ll have plenty of bone jarring hits and heavyweight scraps from Tinordi for years to come. Even better news, McCarron will be a year or so behind him. Then there’s also guys like Crisp and Lernout on their way as well. We could be looking at the toughest team in the NHL in about four years.

The Habs have drafted some big and nasty boys the last five or so years.

• shiram says:

I’m not a pro fights kind of guy, but if someone comes knocking, I always want to see the Habs guy do the knocking out.

Did Tinordi get any penalty on that hit?

• CJ says:

Love it! Some of us were discussing Tom Wilson last night. I went back and watched his fight with our own Dalton Thrower. I can’t wait to see Thrower in a couple years. He and Dietz would be a wicked pairing. Combined with Bennett, Tinordi, Bealieu and PK. Sick.

• likehoy says:

I don’t think PK will be playing in the AHL in a couple of years.

• CJ says:

Neither do I. At some point we need to get younger. I love the moves up front and in goal, including the succession planning. Our aged defence is the last frontier. The future is youth. Our best players are all 28 and under. That’s pretty much consistent around the league. The idea of carrying 4 guys who are 35+ on the defence is passé.

17. DipsyDoodler says:

Thinking about it I hope Lucic stays in Boston.

First, because he’s not very good anymore. I’d hate to see them get some good players in exchange for him.

Second, it is sure fun to watch him lose it against us.

It wouldn’t be the same to read about him coming unhinged against the Ducks or Coyotes.

That being said, hasn’t he burned too many bridges to go back to Vancouver?

—–

¯(°_o)/¯

Beaulieu still in lineup, DD still on wing…… Anybody seen the four horsemen hanging around town yet?

I like Prust with Sekac and Plex, Prust has been the caretaker for our forwards as rookies. This was done with Galchenyuk and Gallagher as well. Sure Ghetto provides more offence, but on spot duties and helping Sekac through his first season in the NHL he is a great big brother to have on the line.

• shiram says:

I’m sure Prust will see duty on more than one line anyways, it seems like something Therrien likes doing, to mix things up.

• likehoy says:

if Plekanec can turn Moen into a 7 goal scorer, Prust could be a 10 goal scorer!

• Phil C says:

Looking at the lines, I suspect the Pleks line will see a lot of defensive assignments while the Eller line will get more offensive opportunities.

• Landof10000lakesHab says:

I respect all that Prust brings to each game, and support MT’s decision to move him up the lineup during the game, as needed. I also understood having Prust ride shotgun back when Gallagher & Galchenyuk were fresh-eyed kids in the NHL. Sekac has not given any appearance that he needs a caretaker, so don’t believe MT was thinking such by assigning Prust to this line. Keep in mind that Sekac played with men in the KHL, and was recognized as one of the KHL’s premier two-way forwards. The way he drives the net and hits along the boards shows me that he can take care of himself.

Prust is the kind of player MB was talking about that will “get you through the playoffs”. I don’t begrudge Prust one penny of salary. Having said this, I simply do not understand why MT feels the current need to start Prust on any scoring line. Prust is one of the better modern 4th line NHL players, and if / with everyone healthy, is where he should start each game, IMHO. Having both Prust & Weise on the 4th line actually provides the Habs a skill advantage when matched up against a majority of other NHL team 4th lines.

Perhaps it’s MT’s coaching style whereas the top nine should consist of two player units (Max-Alex, Pleks-Sekac, DD-PAP), with movable parts added in (Gally, Prust, Eller, Weise, Bournival) to complete each line. This can be a successful strategy in that the core of each line has continuity and allows for some flexibility to keep things fresh, and / or the opposing team guessing?

Perhaps I undervalue Prust’s offensive output as he has only one less point than Eller this season? Nope – that only makes me question Eller’s output.

More likely I am nit-picking, and should trust that MT, who is in the trenches, and being paid to coach the team, has a better handle on this than I do.

19. CJ says:

Just bought two pounds of large scallops. Almost $80 bucks! Jeepers. Is that what these things cost?

While in PEI this summer we bought two pounds of fresh lobster meat, straight from a fishery just down from the house we rented for $25.

• stephen says:

Never mind the scallops, CJ, hook me up with the person in PEI renting their house out for $25.

• Un Canadien errant says:

My friends is from Nova Scotia, his family are fishermen, and once a year he gets a huge shipment of scallops for Christmas, he invites a bunch of people and we gorge on them, like, there are too many to finish them all. Can’t wait.

• Bash says:

Here we pay about 18.00 per pound for 6-10 count and that drives me nuts. You paid a hefty price at double that!

Fresh market lobster was 7.00 per pound today. Picked up four for the pre game meal. 🙂

Where do you live CJ?

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

• CJ says:

I’m visiting my parents. They live in Williamsburg, ON, about an hour south of Ottawa. I purchased from the local butcher shop. One of those old places that uses the butcher paper to wrap meat or, in this case seafood.

When I bought two pounds of lobster meat I got a lot. When you buy a two pound lobster, we probably throw away half the weight. It was as fresh as I’ll ever have and delicious.

• Bash says:

I’m on the Rock, a stone’s throw from the ocean.
          If you like great seafood you should come and visit!

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

• CJ says:

It’s on the list. I look forward to visiting all points within this vast, beautiful country. When we come, I’ll let you know. I hooked up with Kevin, a forum member in PEI, just an amazing guy. Go HABS Go!

• Ron says:

Got mine here today, $6/lb cooked. Fresh caught and no soft shell.

#BlameManny

20. Un Canadien errant says:

The new HIO show is up. Do we stay on this thread or move over?

———————————————————————–
    It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

21. Un Canadien errant says:

Chatter/rumours from TSN 1040 Vancouver, Bruins have been scouting the Canucks and their Utica farm team for three or four consecutive games each. Jim Benning was hired by the Canucks from the Boston organization.

The hosts and a phone guest from Comcast were discussing that the Bruins were eyeing Kevin Bieksa, who has had a tough start to the season, but could plug in their second pairing to replace Johnny Boychuk.

There was also some discussion on Zack Kassian, and how the Bruins haven’t replaced Nathan Horton-Jarome Iginla on the Krejci line.

———————————————————————–
    It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

Tough to understand this move unless Halak is ill. Halak played back-to-back games on Fri/Sat but has two days rest coming into tonight’s game. The only other game he has this week is Saturday where he will be coming off a three day break. Not to mention that all of these games are at home which means there is no travel factor.

I have no idea what has happened to John/son this year. Last year he won 17 games, had two shutouts, a 2.10GAA and a .925 save percentage. I sure hope Montreal can take advantage of this early Christmas present.

Shout-out to Parenteau – get the lead out of your ass and score tonight’s first goal.

24 Cups

• Cal says:

Halak getting a full week break near the halfway mark is a good player management move. Just about everyone knows how he runs out of gas during the home stretch. I expect the Isles to do this one more time late in the season if they stay comfortably in the playoffs.

• 24 Cups says:

Point well taken seeing his last night off was Dec 9th (John/son gave up five goals in that game). It’s basically a mjni vacation for Halak. I wish the Habs would do that with Markov and Gonchar later in the year. Maybe even Pleks.

24 Cups

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah, a pleasant surprise that Jaro won’t be starting, unless the Isles are faking us out.

As for the shout-out, they’re never meant to be critical, but a “What’s up!” recognizing that person. I know this because I’m up on my urban street lingo. Word.

shout-out

shout-out (n.) Slang. A public expression of thanks or gratitude
      “I want to give a shout-out to Louisiana’s Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco for bringing to light the problem of Louisiana’s coastal erosion….”

23. DipsyDoodler says:

You know what else is extinct? The 5-goal game.

In the 1980s it happened 16 times.

In the 1990s, 7 times.

In the noughties, once (Marian Gaborik).

In this decade, once (Johan Franzen).

The last Hab to do it is Yvan Cournoyer (1975).

—–

¯\(°_o)/¯

• Landof10000lakesHab says:

I’m just happy when the Habs team collectively score 5 goals in a game once in a while. Not so much when it happens to us. Heck, 5 goals per month, for an NHL player equals a great season now days.

Parity, defensive systems, no calls on interference, player & goalie size, goalie gear, dump-n-chase, etc… has turned the game into soccer on ice. All the while, rinks and nets remain the same size, and refs turn a blind eye to infractions in order to keep the game plodding along.

Well, that was kinda bah-humbug, eh?

• CJ says:

Pretty soon the team five goal game will be extinct. I mean, honestly, it’s not often you see a team reach five goals during their 82 game schedule. Look at the score of playoff games in the 80’s vs the score of playoff games now.

Every inch of ice is contested. Goalies are often the best athletes on the team, Nevermind that their equipment is twice the size what it used to be. A starting goalie today under 6′ is as rare an an NFL quarterback under 6′.

LA won a Cup last year with their leading goal scorer having what, 70 points. There second leading scorer had 50 points while the third had something like 45 points. In the 80’s, team’s top three defence probably had that many points.

The two most exciting things in hockey, goals and fights are down, dramatically. Good thing guys like Clayton Stoner are around to keep Max and other stars around the league “honest.”

• Garbo says:

Didn’t Eller do it a few years back? Or was that 4?

24. Alex_425 says:

*sigh*

I want to talk about the Isles’ backup goalie for tonight’s game, but Santa’s watching this site.

~~~~~
    ~~~~~

25. Mattyleg says:

Hi everyone,
    Haven’t been around much; pre-Xmas craziness around here, plus suffering under a miserable cold for the past week-and-a-half…

Hope you’re all doing well. Looking forward to tonight’s game, should be a fun one!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

26. DipsyDoodler says:

This is the year the pure fighter became extinct.

The only ones left as far as I can tell are John Scott (22 games played, 2 points) and Brian McGrattan (8 games, 0 points). Shawn Thornton might fit the category (22 games, 2 points).

(Scott knocked out an opponent last night but it might actually have been unintentional the guy is so clumsy.)

This is probably the last year for all three. Maybe Thornton ekes out another. All the other pure fighters (Colton Orr e.g.) are unemployed (NHL-wise).

I suspect the next species on the endangered list is the guy who can kinda play and kinda fight, but is more of a middleweight as a fighter and not very good as a hockey player. Prototypical players in this category are guys like Cody McLeod and Jared Boll – both of whom are actually alternate captains (albeit for bottom dwellers). One person’s heart and soul guy is another person’s pylon.

I wonder if the writing isn’t on the wall for these guys too. Once teams start hiring stats guys you know there is only one outcome for this kind of player.

Note that I don’t include players like Prust and Moen in that category, both of whom are/were quite good hockey players.

—–

¯(°_o)/¯

• on2ndthought says:

Shawn Thornton: the much noted ‘Character guy’.
      All I needed to see about his character was his smirk after squirting water at PK. A bully’s bully. One mistake that Fla made in an otherwise productive summer.

“a cannonading drive”

• Alex_425 says:

So will physicality just be mashed in with scoring talent in the future, you think? Maybe we’ll start seeing a surge of tall, strong, power forward type players, perhaps a return to Lindros-type players being coveted?

~~~~~
      ~~~~~

• frontenac1 says:

It is the” Soccerfication “of Hockey. Started with the The Instigator Rule. Continued with The Shootout, Cheap Shots,Diving,Biting and Hair Pulling. It will end with the Jersey Exchange.

• Cal says:

It’s time for the staged fight to go.
          There’s nothing wrong with the spur of the moment fight after a cheap shot. I hate the “drop the gloves at the face off” bs.
          Nothing to do with soccer. Who’d you rather have on a salary cap roster? Highly skilled and speedy rookies or slugs that can throw punches? It looks like the GMs are starting to think about setting scoring as a priority and not fighting.

• frontenac1 says:

I’d rather have both. Especially in the snorefest games. A couple of good Heavyweights going toe to toe at centre ice. Good stuff.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Cal you missed the whole point of the posts above……fighting is down but so is scoring…….scoring is down Cal so maybe fighting ought to be mandatory to get scoring up

• scamorza says:

Hmm, think we still have a little way to go re: diving. Of course saw an own goal the other day. Thankfully they still permit hitting in hockey. I would love to see full contact soccer of course that would lead to an uptick on the divng part.

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

27. Alvin says:

Prust is not a second liner . Get him out of there. Ghetto a much better choice for those 2.( Pleks & Sekac )

28. D Mex says:

” Halak, who was traded by the Canadiens to the St. Louis Blues after the 2009-19 (sic) season in exchange for Lars Eller, has a lifetime 4-0 record against the Habs with a 0.98 GAA. “

Can anyone explain the math on 4-0 and 0.98 GAA – ?

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

29. Landof10000lakesHab says:

With Halak not playing, it appears the Isles are looking to this game as not a serious threat to their #1 NHL home winning %. Perhaps a back-to-back situation for the Isles? Nope. Isles did not play last night and do not play again until Saturday. So that leaves us with either Halak is under the weather, or the Isles apparently agree with my earlier post that the Habs are not a good road team at this time, having lost the last 5 of 6 on the road.

Either way, I am hoping the Habs are up for this important tilt and start the road trip with a win. Just don’t let it get to a shootout where the Isles are an NHL best 6-0 this season.

• on2ndthought says:

This reflects badly on their coaching. I don’t even care if Chad J. posts a shut out. The Isles are on a four game streak, and lead the Habs by 2 with a game in hand. A chance to make a statement to an Eastern Conference finalist last year, and you put in your back-up. It stinks of gamesmanship or cowardice. It would fire me up more than playing Halak would.

“a cannonading drive”

30. Luke says:

Havlat plays for the Devils?

Man, this team would have won the Cup 10 years ago…

31. Phil C says:

I wonder which set of wingers will get the most icetime?

32. jimmy shaker says:

Getto in there for Prust, Prust in on the fourth for bernie and the dream in there for N8 and its all good.

Merry Christmas

Shaker out!

• shiram says:

I like it, but would keep Weaver sitting, I like what I’m seeing from Beaulieu.

• jimmy shaker says:

Nothing really against N8…..for some reason I like Weaver and his work ethic, attitude, his PK prowess and his feistiness. Basically because he doesn’t wear a visor, and he’s an unsung hero/underdog/quiet, team guy.

Shaker out!

33. on2ndthought says:

Stubbs tweeted this, it is cute, but confirms my impression of the elf on a shelf: freakin’ party p@@per:

“a cannonading drive”

34. Luke says:

nope. Still Bannnnnnn— whoa… blocked.

35. on2ndthought says:

bizarre move by Capuano. Maybe trying to psyche us out, or John$on has looked extra sharp in practice.

It really does put the pressure on us to capitalize. Hopefully we’ll see Halak anyway.

“a cannonading drive”

36. UKRAINIANhab says:

Nice. Habs win 100%

37. Alex_425 says:

Halak… of courage, it seems?

🙂

~~~~~
    ~~~~~

38. Luke says:

Does this article mention who the NSFW back up is?

I don’t want to look at that name and get in trouble.
    Not before Christmas…

39. Kooch7800 says:

Is Weaver healthy now and just being rested or is he still injured

40. L Elle says:

From IslandersInsideOut:

“Would like to see Chad in between the pipes tonight”

“I’d like to see him behind bars

I think he could be charged with:
    1. Fraud
    2. Impersonating an NHL goaltender.
    3. Desertion
    4. Failure to stop

It would be nice if we could charge him with:
    5. Robbery”

🙂

41. Kooch7800 says:

Great news for Habs fans! Not sure what that other coach is thinking though. Halak is a habs killer when they play.

Price is a better goalie but Halak is not a bad goalie either. He is really helping the Islanders this year

I think St. Louis was a Habs killer against those teams. But maybe I should have focused only on the lack of scoring by Carey.

• Kooch7800 says:

St Louis is for sure but I seem to remember him playing pretty well in those games against us and we beat the Blues without Halak this year Burly

Our team is better now than we were at the time of that trade. St. Louis beat the Habs, I remember watching those games, the Habs couldn’t have looked any less threatening to score.

42. Alex_425 says: