Halak up next for Habs

For the second straight game, the Canadiens will be facing a former Habs goalie when they play the St. Louis Blues Tuesday night at the Bell Centre.

This time, that goalie will actually be on the ice.

The Canadiens lost 4-1 to Patrick Roy’s Colorado Avalanche Saturday night in in Denver as the rookie NHL coach improved his record to 12-1-0, the best start in franchise history.

On Tuesday, Jaroslav Halak should be in goal for the Blues. After the goaltender led the Canadiens to the conference final in 2010, the Canadiens traded Halak to the Blues in exchange for Lars Eller and Ian Schultz, deciding that Carey Price was the Habs’ goalie of the future.

Halak has a 7-2-1 record this season with one shutout, a 2.35 goals-against average and a .909 save percentage. Price has a 6-6-0 record with one shutout, a 2.18 GAA and .932 save percentage.

Alex Galchenyuk will be moved to centre against the Blues, playing on a line with Max Pacioretty and Brendan Gallagher. Coach Michel Therrien put the new trio together for the third period of Saturday’s game in Denver.

“The positive (in this game) is the adjustment we made with Galchenyuk playing centre with Pacioretty and Gallagher,” Therrien told reporters after the game. “It’s something we’ve been thinking about and we decided to do it in the third period and I was really pleased. This is an experiment that we’re going to repeat again.”

The Canadiens announced on Sunday that forward Michael Blunden has been returned to the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs. Blunden is pointless in six games with the Canadiens this season and is minus-2. Later in the day, the Habs announced they were calling up Martin St-Pierre from the Bulldogs. The 30-year-old forward had three goals and five assists in seven games with the Bulldogs.

The Canadiens were given the day off Sunday and will practise Monday at 11 a.m. in Brossard.

Galchenyuk to centre Gallagher, Pacioretty against Blues, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Therrien partly to blame for Subban’s detractors, by Jack Todd

Canadiens send Blunden down to Hamilton, call up St-Pierre, hamiltonbulldogs.com

Canadiens buried under Avalanche, by Pat Hickey

A tall order for Habs in Denver, Canadiens.com

It keeps getting more surreal for Avalanche, Denver Post

Giguere comes up big against hometown team, coloradoavalanche.com

Former teammate Bishop stops Blues’ streak, St. Louis Post-Dispatch

(Photo by Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images)

1. The Dude says:

So it,s another match up of former team-mates tenders…$6.5 mil per Carey Price in your right corner and $3.5 mil per Halak in the left. The series so far goes tho Halak 1-0 with a shut-out and a totally dominant display of Goal tending whilst the Bell Center CHeered him on………remember!

@Bri – if it helps, I voted for you. I left a note on the interwebz saying you were my candidate. Don’t know what happened to it.

3. habsguru says:

Ovi was a gong show when he was PK’s age. i know he was a first overall pick, but where was his tough love? not sure MT is on the right path.

4. jeffhabfan says:

Guys we have a winning record in NOV with injuries playing alot of tough West teams so far. We are about to start to play more games against the East we will be O.K.

5. rhino514 says:

I respect what therrien is trying to do with subban.
    Just because he is immensely talented, subbie still makes some glaring mistakes which young players make.
    It´s Therrien´s job to help him be the best player he can be.
    Therrien could baby him and Subban would still be a heck of a player, but he wouldn´t become the best he can be.
    That being said, if Subban doesn´t accept the tough approach at some point, Therrien will lose in such a clash, not Subban.
    Subban does not have a bad attitude and he tries; he´s a good kid. Management would never side with its coach in a war between the two and risk losing its most dynamis player in 30 years, unless he had a real bad attitude, which he doesn´t.
    And guys, now everyone hates Therrien because he has a temper?
    Can you all REALLY remember what the Jacques Martin era was like?
    Either you are boring with no passion or you are emotionally unstable, there seems to be no winning with some people on here.

6. DickandDanny says:

Some random Monday morning thoughts to get people talking. Nothing better than suggesting a big trade……Who else feels that Rene Bourque could be a really good offensive power forward if given a proper center and winger to play with. Lately, he has been my favourite Hab, but I feel he is doing it by himself most nights. I’d love to see him playing alongside the likes of a Claude Giroux and Wayne Simmonds. Here’s a BIG suggestion; Trade PK, Tinordi, Brian Gionta, and DD to the Flyers for those two. Flyers love big D and would likely jump at the chance to get PK and Tinordi. We sweeten the deal by throwing in Gionta and then they have to take DD off of our hands. He can replace Giroux and Gionta Simmonds in their line-up. Cap space would be about the same, or less possibly for us, I believe. I know the detractors will say this could never happen, but sometimes you need to think large in order to make your team better. Our small minded thinking (yes, the pun is intended) hasn’t gotten us very far in the past few years. Bring in Patteryn and Beaulieau full time in place of Subban and Tinordi and play them regularly. I believe each is a very talented player, but they are not getting the proper shot or support right now. In and out, a game here and there, is not helping either of their development or confidence levels. When I watch Beaulieau skate I see the next Paul Coffey. I think a move like this would build each of their respective confidence levels and give them the opportunity they need to make the jump to the NHL. With Emelin coming back soon, our D will be much better defensively anyway. With some offensive upside in Patteryn and Beaulieau, PK wouldn’t be all that missed. Yes, of course we’d miss PK, but I am thinking of the team being better and not about my own personal enjoyment having a player like PK. Especially, when our top three lines suddenly looked like a real NHL team:
    Bourque/Giroux/Simmonds
    Pacioretty/Plekanec/Bournival
    Gallchenyuk/Eller/Gallagher
    Prust/White/Moen/Parros

Markov/Patteryn
    Gorges/Diaz
    Beaulieau/Murray
    Emelin/Boullion

Shake it up MB. Try and be a little more imaginative and take a bit of a risk at the same time. I think the risk could be worth it.

Ok, let me have it now…………….

“A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur”

• Phil C says:

Paul Holmgren…..is that you?

• DickandDanny says:

Are you one of those fans who has an inflated idea about how valuable and great PK is to the team? When he wants 7-8 million a season long term will you be happy with that? I know I won’t. So, now is the time to trade him and get something as valuable in return. If you suggest this is a Paul Holmgren trade, then how would you rate and value Claude Giroux and Wayne Simmonds. Giroux nearly won the scoring race 2 years ago, while PK won the Norris last year. That’s a fair and even trade even up. Tinordi, BG, and DD for Simmonds is equitable. We get rid of DD’s contract, and BG’s age and contract. We won’t miss either of them. The kicker is Tinordi who they will covet to replace Pronger. We get another big power forward in Simmonds. Just my thoughts on making the team bigger, stronger and better offensivley.

“A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur”

• Ali says:

Your proposed defensive core looks atrocious.

• DickandDanny says:

Ummm, if Pk is the only D missing from our present group of D I’m not sure how you can say our D look atrocious? By losing one player, even it is one of PK’s stature we suddenly are atrocious? We had one of the lowest G/A Avg’s in the league up until the weekend. If we gave Bealieau and Patteryn the same opportunity that Pk got three years ago you may be surprised how good they could be. And, lets face it all three of Beaulieau, Patteryn and Tinordi will not make the club at the same time, and I think Tinordi has the least upside of the those three players.

“A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur”

• JM says:

DD hope you never look for a NHL managers job!!

• DickandDanny says:

It’s easy to criticize, however one who never suggests anything is also never attacked. So, what’s your ‘excuse’?

“A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur”

• slyCH says:

Oh my God, I need to lie down… wait, I am lying down!

• The Dude says:

Who the fk trades a Bobby Orr?

• Cal says:

Thanks for the laugh. Almost spewed coffee all over my monitor.

• toneez says:

No way would I trade PK period end of sentence no way he’s the most exciting Hab to watch in the past 30 years … and give up Tinordi ? and be back at square one looking for a large stay at home d-man … forget it I like Giroux but not at the cost of PK , he is not going anywhere …

All Habs all the Time

• Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

Not adverse to trading PK. Would rather Tampa as a dance partner. Gimme Stamkos for PK straight up.

7. Bripro says:

G’morning everyone.
    Now that my political career has taken a Hindenburg,
    it’s time to get back to the serious side of life.
    HIO, cappuccinos and my family (Not necessarily in that order).
    I’m not upset at my political loss, considering that only 28% showed up to vote…. this in a world where people are dying for the right to vote.
    But I will say this, if that Habs lose tomorrow, I’m going to test the tensile strength of the glass on my flat screen.
    Not that I’m a sore loser or anything….

• Mattyleg says:

Hard luck Bri!
      Was thinking about you last night with my fingers crossed.
      My father-in-law didn’t make it as mayor in Beloeil either; lost by 20%. A close one, considering, but I have to wonder if anyone down there really looked into the platforms at all, or just voted for the same person because they didn’t know any better.

Disappointed for him, but he’s taking it in his stride, and we’re happy that he’ll be around more, as will your family!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Bripro says:

Hi Matt,
        Thanks for the kind words. Lost by 96 votes. +/-
        And you’re absolutely right. I don’t think people were focussing on the issues as much as the fact that I have an english name.
        I only discovered this yesterday when I floored a potential voter, who thought I was unilingual english. He ended up voting for me. I wonder how many others thought the same.
        But now it’s back to life as it was…. more time on HIO.

• Habfan10912 says:

Good morning bud. Their loss. I wouldn’t recommend testing the flat screen however. Don’t you have an old television that you’d love to replace? :)

• Cal says:

Well done giving it your best effort, BriPro. Now back to important things!

• frontenac1 says:

Sorry to hear that amigo. Good on ya for giving it a go. Saludos!

8. habsguru says:

still fuming about the PK MT mess, great read by Boone, and found another by Ted Bird. makes you wonder

9. mdp2011 says:

Since it hasn’t been talked about enough, and since I have no insight what so ever (just like everyone else) let me add my 2 cents worth regarding PK.

Let me start off by saying that I love PK and want him signed to an 8 year extension ASAP. PK is one of the most talented Dmen in the league and is a stallion. However, PK is not Bobby Orr, Ray Bourque, and Doug Harvey rolled into one as some posters and media think he is. He is not one of the top 5 Dmen in the league right now, although he has the talent to be just that eventually. Yes he won the Norris trophy last year. But that award is chosen by the media, who just like us fans are influenced by a players talent. His selection was very debatable last year as other defencemen had Norris caliber years , especially a couple of them playing out west.

His raw talent is undeniable. He makes me jump out of my seat every time he has the puck. The issue with PK is not his talent, it is his head. If it were up to PK, he would be playing all 6 positions on the ice on every given shift. He is still prone to bone head plays and still does things that make you shake your head, although he is getting better with that as he gets older.

He has had issues with every single coach in the Habs organization since he finished junior under two different management groups. From Guy Boucher in Hamilton, to Jacques Martin and Perry Pern, to Randy Cunnyworth and Randy Ladouceur and now to Michel Therrien. His free wheeling style drives coaches nuts and still needs to be reigned in a little bit. When PK learns to play more with his head he will become the best defenceman in the league.

An interesting take on the Ray Emery / Brayden Holtby one sided fight from former Player and former NHL referee Paul Stewart.

• Phil C says:

I enjoyed that, thanks. Stewart for Commissioner!

• slyCH says:

Interesting read. What kills me is that Emery admitted Holtby wanted nothing to do with a fight. Assault is basically what transpired there. Brings to mind A-hole egging Price to an unwanted fight, fortunately Price got the better of him and spared him when he was down on the ropes.

11. Mattyleg says:

Morning all!

Captain Arrogant here wishing you all a lovely Monday morning; hope it’s as sunny where you are as it is here in Mtl!

I have a sh!t-ton of work today, so don’t distract me, okay? Please?

Thanks!
    Smooches!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Our goals against is a team stat, that I feel is the most important stat as to where we are headed. We are 3rd in the league!!!

HAB”S SUNDAY WEEKLY STATS!

This is where we place in a 30team league after 14 games played.

Total points-16. We are in 16th place. Last week 16 for 11th place.

Goals For—41. We are in 14th place. Last week 37 for 11th place.

Goals A—–31. We are in 3rd place. Last week 23 for 4th place.

Goals Diff +10. We are in 10th place. Last week +14 for 3rd place.

We are right in the middle of the pack. But our goals against is still amazing! Compared to the other 29 teams. And we can only get better as we get healthier!

Your Summit pictures are now on this link. Click the photo button.

13. Sportfan says:

DD for Jamie Benn do it MB do it !

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

14. slyCH says:

On a side note my Vikings are in full tank mode for a QB, can they stink it up enough to overtake the Jags for ultimate sucktitude? I hope so.

15. frontenac1 says:

Hola amigos! What’s the book on St.Pierre?Is he any good?

16. 25insight says:

Morning!

Here’s to start your day. Timo will like this.

17. knob says:

What about that Colorado team eh! They remind me of a slightly younger version of the Blackhawks, you know the team that won the cup!

Our Habs are a good squad but not quite there yet. MB should really consider moving some pieces to get some young talented forwards into the system, something this team lacks, imho. If possible, they should get rid of Briere and Desharnais either by trade or buy-out and trade Gionta.

Plek-Eller-Bourque
    Pac-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
    Prust-Bournival-Moen
    Parros-White-(sign)Gilles or Staubitz
    Leblanc-(acquire)Konopka

Markov-Subban
    Beaulieu-Gorges
    Emelin-Diaz
    Tinordi

18. Sportfan says:

Fearless pediction Martin St-Pierre becomes the new Darche.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

19. twilighthours says:

So Therrien still hates my boy PK? Anyone care to summarize, or share a link to an article or something? Sorry guys, I’m totally out of the loop.

• Max_a_million says:

Basically PK was clearly the reason we lost the last game. Everyone else played really well. Said in a super venomous way by MT.
      So much out there to read on this …

20. Luke says:

Mornin’ folks… Happy Monday!

21. alfieturcotte says:

This is the worse moment to trade DD. His value is at its lowest and our “return” would be dismal. I say keep him in the lineup and let him play through this slump.

Top 9:
    Pacioretty / Galchenyuk / Gallagher
    Leblanc / Pleks / Gionta
    Bournival / Eller / DD

Another thing to consider to shore up our horrid defense is to shift White to D. He’s a strong skater, plays a rougher brand of hockey and cannot be worse than a Murray / Diaz / Boullion….

I’ve said this often – PK is our one and only superstar (Pricebots, take it easy, 15 games does not a season make – though I am pleased with his play thus far) and he should be treated as such. Treatment he receives from his coach / GM makes we wonder who is running the team and how they interpret a multi cultural athlete w/confidence and moxie. Do they see it as attitude, a la Mike Richards? PK is a keeper, time for MB to actually step up for a change. Sign him.

• slyCH says:

That’s the same mentality some had about Gomez. The key here is to cut your loses to a minimum. Get rid of him for Canadian tire money if you have to.

• NL Hab says:

Get rid of DD now while we can. He is only going to get worse if that is possible.

Et Le But

• alfieturcotte says:

You buy high and sell low? Nah, I think we at least try to do the reverse. We will get nothing in return today for a 1 pointer / multi year expensive salary? Answer – you do not trade until he shows more improvement. DD is not a great player, but he is capable of being a 40-50 point player. Trade him when the market for him is at least slightly better…..

• slyCH says:

Your point is understood, fact is DD’s play at the moment is nothing but an anchor to the team and is completely… Ah nevermind, play the kid until he reaches 10 points, he should be tradable at that point, while our valuable assets flounder on the bench or the 4th line. Perfect.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Desharnais over Bourque?
      Over Prust when he gets back?
      Over Briere when he gets back?

• twilighthours says:

Shift White to D?

And all this time I thought you knew something about hockey but just hated Price.

• Ron says:

I think he picks and choose twi. No player in particular.

• alfieturcotte says:

Ha – I know lots about hockey and do dislike Price.

That’s right, some forwards have shifted to D (and vice versa), not unheard of in teh slightest. Now I am not sure if White can do it or has played D in Juniors etc, but I do know this: he plays a defensive style, skates very well, has a mean streak, and might actually be a step up over the host of D’s we have.

22. twilighthours says:

Gentlemen! I was in Danvers, Mass (beautiful countryside, that New England) for a trail race, away all weekend. All I caught were the scores. Can some nice soul give me a summary on these topics? (200 words or less, please! No need to invest a ton of time into it).

1) Subban and ice time – is he getting shafted?
    2) Desharnais – was he any better?
    3) Patches – how did he look?
    4) Murray – sucked?
    5) Parros – really sucked?
    6) Anything else I should know

• Maritime Ronn says:

twi

1) Shitefest continues- now it’s moved to Therrien hates Subban
      2) Worse
      3) Yes, in the 3rd period once he got away from DD and had Galchenyuk at Center and Gallagher as the other winger
      4) Nope
      5) yep
      6) Groundhog Day

• Phil C says:

1) He led the team in ice time, but he did not have a good game defensively. He made two mistakes that ended up in the back of the net in a close game.
      2) Desharnais was practically benched in the 3rd and the coach was not happy with him in the post-game scrum.
      3) He had a few good rushes and rang one of the crossbar while playing with Galchenyuk which could have changed the outcome of the game.
      4) Murray factored into the first goal against, but overall I thought he was fine for a 3rd pairing guy (ie low expectations). He only payed 12 minutes.
      5) Parros got into a poorly timed fight (as the Habs were attacking), then only played under 4 minutes.
      6) The big news: Galchenyuk was moved to centre in the third and Therrien said he liked what he saw. This could really shake up the lineup if it works.

• Luke says:

1) No. Not really.
      2) He’s played better, but no results. So: No, not really.
      3) Rusty.
      4) No, he was OK. Slow and lumbersome as expected.
      5) Yah. Not good. Not at all.
      6) MT hates PK.

• slyCH says:

1) replace ? with !
      2)better with worst. (. with !)
      3)better in the 3rd
      4) scratch ? to !
      5) !!!!!!
      6) MT all time bully to join that Dolphin bully in Miami.

• twilighthours says:

Thanks dudes!

23. Sportfan says:

I’m a bit scared to face the Blues, that playoff series last year was really intense.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• The Habs can compete with any team on the ice. Sharks 2-0, they didn’t walk all over them on the scoreboard, they shut them down pretty good on the ice, but man the Habs were so flat that night.

That Avs game was a really good game, but three little mistakes were the difference, not that the Avs out coached us or out played us.

Well they did out coach us in one area, never play your backup vs #1 teams. Budaj wasn’t the problem here, but against team like the Avs you want a goalie in there who can get to the puck first and move it forward. Price scares the crap out of teams dumping it in because he passes better than 4 of our actual d-men and that’s huge for offense.

Should be a great game Tuesday….well it better be or you know who will be here every post :lol:

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 1.29.31.33

• Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

Your fears are well founded. As M. Boone pointed out, the last tilt vs the Blues was a textbook exercise in how to dominate your opponent in every, and I mean EVERY phase of a hockey game. It was men against boys. The score (3-0) flattered our boys big time. It could easily have been 10-0. Only the recent 7-0 shellacking by the Leafs comes close to what went down against the Blues that night. Trust me, it was baaaad. Something tells me Mr Boone is gonna have a “bad feeling” about Tuesday’s game.

24. Fans

1. Some fans care so much that when their team loses they lose.
    2. Some fans love their team so much that when their team loses they look at what needs to be improved and then move on to the next game.
    3. Some fans care so much that they will say anything they want no matter how cruel and disturbing it may be….a sign they that they will do anything for attention.
    4. Some fans care so much that they will travel across the country to watch them, and if they lose they say things like , oh well get next time, they sure sucked tonight but we’ll get him next time, we gotta improve this, gotta improve that, play harder, and not things like he sucks, what a loser, trade him.
    5. And some fans care so much that even if they don’t have a speck of hockey knowledge there will always be the internet to make them sound like they do.

Which one are you? When things look bleak what are you?

Lets Go Habs, Allen Walsh’s boy is coming to town, time to let Allen know why the Habs traded Halak!

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

• Walmyr says:

A “little” bit of 1,2,3,4 and 5…I suppose…maybe more…

• :lol: at least you’re honest.

I love this team, but I don’t lose control of myself here like others do. I’m very proud of that.

Like I said last night, I love the fans that come out of the woodwork after a bad game, makes me feel better about myself :)

EDIT- now get yourself an identity and fill out the avatar on gravatar. haha

Shane Oliver
        Twitter @Sholi2000
        Custom Sports Figures
        Summit Member 1.29.31.33

• Walmyr says:

But I think it’s better to “lose” control here, just typing their/our BS…lol

Tomorrow we will win and everything will be right…as always!

In 2 weeks from now the Habs will be in a winning streak…Them PK and MT will be best friends, Eller the one of the best Centers in the game, DD a good player for every team in both coasts…stc…

About my identity: you’re right…I will do that soon!

CHeers

• showey47 says:

Years ago I used to be one of those guys who got upset after a loss. Either it be the habs or when I was playing. Maybe it was just back in the day when I still had the competitive spirit, hated to lose and when I did lose brought the game home with me. Now with 2 little ones at home, you learn there are a lot more important things in life then the outcome of a hockey game. Honestly i’m much more worried about what our world is going to be like when my kids grow up then I am about how the habs do.

• Old Bald Bird says:

None of the above?

25. Phil C says:

Lars Eller was bumped to the third line last game. He was even benched last season after only one game. The entire team was bad, yet Eller was the one singled out.

Now let me see… What is it about Lars Eller that is different than anyone else? I am pretty sure all of the other top centres in the league make some high risk mistakes too. What could it be about Lars that made Dallas Eakins say that that guy needs to keep his mouth shut. Odd, Eakins said this and others parroted it because he never said that about any other player. What could it be about Lars that is different? I wish I knew. I wish I were smarter and could read between these lines that seem to be repeated time and time again in a veiled way. Such a mystery.

I guess I will never get answers to these questions because it is 2013 and we don’t ask questions like these anymore. We are all so civilized, aren’t we? There is always a safe reason to give, better than the unspoken one. We are at a point in society where the accusation is more serious than the veiled behaviour we dare not name.

Consider this. ON 24CH, they showed Therrien at the drive through at Tim Hortons and he DID NOT order a Danish. This is a FACT. Draw your own conclusions.

26. Maritime Ronn says:

For those that are musing about Guy Boucher coaching the Habs somewhere in the future, have a look at this short clip concerning the ‘Boucher system’.

Is this the way you want the Habs to play?
    He embarrassed his team and his vets.

• jacquesthemonkey says:

That’s some fine hockey right there.

• NL Hab says:

That was really embarrassing. A lot of coaches have to change there methods throughout there respective careers and Guy would be no different.

Apparently he does have good relationships with his players and can get a lot out of them. However that old 1-3-1 is a horrible coaching technique and that is why he is not coaching now.

It is a different game now so he will have to adjust. I still think he is a good coach.

Et Le But

• Luke says:

I’m not even going to click the link, but I bet it’s the scene against Philly where they just stood there holding the puck and no Tampa player forechecked.

Two of the most dynamic players in the NHL and Boucher had them standing still…

That was laughable.

27. Lafleurguy says:

From a year ago:

“The first car I purchased was for my father. I bought him a truck,” Subban says. “I didn’t want to see myself driving around in a nicer car than him. I wanted him to feel like he’s accomplished a lot, too, which he has. He’s put me in a great position.”

“May you live in interesting times.”

28. dano58 says:

Let’s hope the Habs don’t pull a Goat move and present the Molson cup just before the game like they did 2 years ago and gave it to Price in front of Halak. What a disaster it seems to be every time we present that thing.

GO HABS GO!!!

“Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reasons” (unknown)

“The excitement of the fans in Montreal,especially in the playoffs,I don’t think you can get that anywhere else. For a hockey player,I kind of wish everyone could go through that and experience what it is to play there. It’s very unique.” Saku Koivu

29. Lafleurguy says:

Coach’s Corn Corner:
    Quick, who was Colorado’s head coach before Roy?
    Other first year coaches, Dallas Eakins, Craig Berube.
    Rookie coaches from late last season, Jon Cooper, Ron Rolston.
    Musical Chairs Game Winners, Lindy Ruff, Alain Vigneault, John Tortorella.
    Third-longest coaching tenure with the same team, after Barry Trotz, and Mike Babcock?
    Didn’t Barry Trotz do a fine acting job many moons ago?

“May you live in interesting times.”

30. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning all. The news is not all bad folks. I think these last two games have finally convinced the organization its time to move Galchenyuk to Center. This move is a huge step in moving the team closer to being a cup contender. We ought to give DD a huge thank you for stinking up the joint so much that it made the decision easy.

I was never and am not a fan of MT. His arrogant characteristics and attitude is what has got him fired in the past and is likely to play a part in his next firing. That said, he’s our coach and I want this team to be successful so I’m still pulling for him.

31. NL Hab says:

Just looking through Capgeek and I see that Florida, Calgary, Colorado and NYI all have over $10M in cap space this year. I don’t see DD fitting in on NYI or Colorado, however Calgary and Florida could be possibilities.

I would try to get a 3rd or 4th rounder for him, but if no one takes him through trade, I think we have to take our chances and put him through waivers and possibly getting taken by one of these teams.

Et Le But

• Bill J says:

DD would be a perfect fit in “Little Quebec” aka Colorado!

Let’s create a website to promote the idea, call the Colorado newspapers create the hype! :D

• Maritime Ronn says:

Calgary may have been a spot before Burke arrived this year

Burke quote about how he wanted the makeup of his teams to be:
      “…Pugnacity, Testosterone, Truculence and Belligerence.”

Somehow, Desharnais might not fit into that criteria.

As for Floida, they don’t need him or his contract.
      Even Scot Gomez at a cap Hit of $900K has 1 goal and 3 assists so far.

32. Maritime Ronn says:

@ Cal

One thing you’ll notice about the media/fan PK shitestorm is that all, or just about all trying to make this an issue, are those that never wanted Therrien in the first place and wanted the god Patrick Roy.

Some may have even been disappointed about the Habs great season last year given they were a lock by the ‘experts’ on a Lottery spot before the season started

Right now Roy can do no wrong….and of course it helps being THE healthiest team in the NHL with zero long term injuries to anyone conceived a key player. (Only Tanguay-McGinn questionable for Wednesday..)

Here’s not saying Roy is a bad coach, far from that, but 14 games does not make an NHL coaching career.
    It also helps having some supreme offensive talent with some years of experience on that Colorado team.

We’ll see how that all turns out once Roy experiences some key injuries – when the goalies come down to earth, and when a slump happens.
    Right now, everything is roses in PeytonLand.

• Bill J says:

The hype over Roy is extremely similar to the hype over Boucher.

Ironically, the Boucher hype was one year removed from the Habs reaching the ECF.

The Roy hype is one year removed from the Habs being the 2nd best team in the east during the regular season.

IE the Habs do well, suffer a bit the following season…. Call for the savior!

• NL Hab says:

I actually do like Boucher as a coach. Is he working anywhere now?

Et Le But

• LTHF says:

As i see things, there are too many “no-shows” game after game, and thats the veterans who should be leading the way. No team is going to win with one line. The Eller line has 14 goals, the rest of the veteran forwards 19, simply not good enough. That along with a sometime porous defence lead to losses, and until those problems are rectified, the team will continue to have problems winning.

• Cal says:

When there isn’t much news, the media tends to speculate about stuff like the Canadian Olympic Hockey team and such. TSN and others speculate every day, undermining their credibility. Lately, much of the media doesn’t deal in facts, only bs they heard from a blogger somewhere.

Roy doing well so far is a good thing for the Avs. The inevitable December swoon will come for them and we’ll see how the rookie NHL coach handles it then. They can’t sustain this kind of winning record. No professional team can.

33. WindsorHab-10 says:

Michel Therrien needs to just go away. Looks like he did not learn his lesson from his Penguins days. Not the right coach for us. Never liked his signing & never will. Overrated.

• NL Hab says:

I never liked Therrien either and still do not to this day. I do like his style of play tho. However we need a French speaking coach so that handicaps us a lot when looking for a good coach. Not sure if Boucher is still out there but he is a possibility. However, he likes to play the trap, so it would bring back painful memories of JM.

Et Le But

34. Rad says:

Subban is a great player, but he may be too flamboyant for the conservative brass that run the Montreal Canadiens. It wouldn’t surprise me if management actually does trade Subban for someone like Claude Giroux. Paul Holmgren is on record saying no player is off the table in Philly. Bergevin would never give Subban away, but if the return was Giroux, he could conceivably pull the trigger on a blockbuster deal like Giroux, Simmonds, and Samuel Morin for Subban, Desharnais, Bourque, and Beaulieu.

• Bill J says:

I wouldn’t call MB conservative.

Passionate? Yes, conservative? Only in keeping his prospects and draft picks.

And there’s no way MB is silly enough to trade a reigning Norris trophy winner for just Giroux now.

Specially when the Flyers are renowned for making bad deals. May as well get Hartnell TOO. ;)

• songles says:

If MB trades Subban, I quit.

• Bill J says:

Anyone can be traded, that’s hockey.

That being said, the return better be good for what is likely the most dynamic player this franchise has had in nearly 30 years.

• NL Hab says:

Great points. MB wanted Morin bad at this past draft. Giroux is having a bad year and Holmgrem is a major league knee jerk reaction GM. I love Subban and think he is a Superstar D-Man.

However, if we could get a Simmonds and Giroux coming this way thn that changes everything. Philly needs and wants that stud D-Man. They tried with Weber and then took a consilation prize in Schenn (Apparently he is also being dangled as trade bait as well).

So we could possibly get a huge return from Philly with Subban. It would take a huge return to land Subban and I think his stock is sky high.

Et Le But

35. Cal says:

The media shitstorm on PK is all about folks like us posting about it. There is no reality to all of the posts here, including this one BECAUSE I have no real access to the team and the players. And for those of you that think 24CH is the real thing, I have a bridge I want to sell.

Habs are in tough this year simply because they aren’t very good overall on D and up front. There are too many passengers on too many nights so there will be changes soon. How soon depends if the Habs swoon, say losing to the point where the team is 5 games below .500 before December 1.

• Max_a_million says:

Listen to the coach’s comments after every game. Just listen, and you will see.

If he keeps crapping on the kid night after night after night the end result will not be good. We can only hope it’s MT that we part with, and not our super talented 24 year old defenceman.

• Cal says:

The phrase “tempest in a teapot” is appropos here. People are freaking out over PK’s relationship to Therrien when they have no idea what that relationship is.
        However, if EOTP has 4, count e’m, 4 articles about it, it must be true (insert sarcasm font here).

• Max_a_million says:

Maybe everyone is wrong, but it’s certainly coming to a crescendo.
          Whatever you think of them you have those 4 articles, add Jack Todd, Pretty much everybody on TSN 690 radio, and anyone who listens to Michel Therrien post game comments. We’ve already been down this road once, I don’t want to do it again.

What if PK gets an Olympic snub, would MT be partly to blame? How would he feel about that? How long can you crap on someone else like a bad marriage?

• Cal says:

Since when has pointing out errors become “crapping” on someone?
            MT is holding PK to higher standard and is critical exactly because of how well he can play right now and how great he can become. YOu see MT criticizing Gorges, even though he’s been especially weak for the last 18 months?

• The Jackal says:

We listened, we saw, there was nothing there except blind speculation and lunacy.

______________________
            Hockey sine stercore tauri.

36. Lafleurguy says:

P.K. Subban and Brendan Gallagher are the team’s two offensive catalysts. Homegrown and non-first rounders.
    The goalie-play was average over the weekend, but overall, it has been very good. It’s two weeks later as an opinion, but seeing the Canucks dominate the Leafs convinces me that Carey stole the game against the Canucks.
    The 2013 draft has been a tough one for the Habs. No roster player yet, and of course it’s early. But not too early for 3 opposition GWG scored by kids from this draft. You may have forgotten Sean Monahan. Kind of gives perspective on Alexander Galchenyuk, who this early, resembles Marian Gaborik without the scoring. Peace.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Maritime Ronn says:

Morning boni

The goaltending was at best average during the past 2 games.
      While there were no stinker goals, there were no “wow, what a save-that should have been a goal” moments.
      The Habs over 6man D unit is also at best average. When Frankie B is playing over 17 minutes a game and sometimes plus 20 minutes, that tells you all you need to know.
      Emelin can’t get back fast enough

• Lafleurguy says:

Agree with you. The phenomenon of “over-achieving” does exist and the defence has done so. Some may opine that the Habs over-achieved last season, and while a better team this year, they will have to scratch and claw to get into the playoffs. Finally, there are depth pieces for the GM and coach to tinker. It was the lack of faith MB had in creating this amount of depth, that compelled him to inexplicably hand out the length of term in the Desharnais contract. The sum is rational, and the drop-off in productivity unexpected. My fascination with small detail will never end. Other second rounders from P.K.’s draft year are Akim Aliu, and Drew Schiestel. Would be nice to see them get some audition time with the big club this season.

And have to slip in one dart (opposite of laurel) here. The two best Danish hockey players at the moment are Mikkel Boedker and Frans Nielsen.

“May you live in interesting times.”

37. Old Bald Bird says:

The clever among us love to ridicule anyone who might believe there is anything to PK-gate. Whether there is or not, EOTP links to 4 articles on this theme this morning, most with which we are already familiar. One would think that if there is nothing to it, the Habs might do a little PR work.

• Cal says:

It must be real if EOTP has stories on it. Wait a minute! None of them are reporters over there, are they?

• Old Bald Bird says:

The salient point was that they linked four articles. I didn’t even say it was real. What I said was that the CH might do a bit of PR work. I am not holding my breath.

• Max_a_million says:

But when Therrien was asked if Subban should be on Team Canada, he said, “It’s not for me to say. I’m in charge of the Montreal Canadiens.”

On whether Subban is a world-class player he added: “Whether I see him that way or not, my opinion doesn’t change anything.”

Therrien’s caution stands in contrast to the recent boosterism from hockey people such as Larry Robinson, David Poile and Lindy Ruff, each of whom put in a public word for their players

• Lafleurguy says:

Sorry to tag on your post OBB. No PR work needed. Patrick Kane comes from P.K.’s draft year, and gets only positive press these days. After winning the Cup in 2010, he and his brother harangued a cab driver for not giving change. That Buffalo cab driver is probably lowly paid, and the class the Kanes had then is only disguised by street-smarts that comes with age. Other teams and their fans have accomodated and cheered for guys like Patrick Kaleta, Brad Marchand, Matt Cooke, and a list of others that is long. If Montreal is cool to P.K., Toronto would embrace him in a heartbeat.

“May you live in interesting times.”

38. Maritime Ronn says:

Good morning

Reading through some of the posts – especially the ones stating that “nobody in the room likes Subban” is nothing short of funny.

Of course when you group together 25 guys from different backgrounds, countries, and ages-these same that work, practise, travel and eat together, sometimes there will be brotherly clashes and some hopefully harmless cliques.

If one thinks about the company they work for, there are all kinds of personalities involved. There are certain people that everyone likes and gravitates to. Some others less so. Some you may wish to hang out with after hours-some not so much

Concerning hockey, the terms used are character and chemistry.
    No matter what happens off the ice, a good management team needs to assemble not only talent, yet guys that will go to war with each other and protect and stick up for each other…on the ice.
    Coaching also becomes key in the delicate balancing act. Fairness must be the perception.

At the end of the day, all these guys have egos because without that, they would have never made the NHL.

No one is going to have a problem with Subban if he can be a big part of making the team win resulting in a nice big contract for others.

39. third generation haber says:

Subban is the single most talented/greatest player to play for the habs since Patrick Roy. No other player in our organization besides Galchenyuk and Price will have a career anywhere close to Subban’s.

Why the Ph&%$ is he always being criticized while playing for a team that has paid so much money to so many zeroes:

Kaberle, Gomez, Desharnais, Briere, Komisarick.

Subban is currently the 10th highest paid player on the team.
    29 other teams would be happy to have him. MT and MB need to wake-up!

j.p. murray

• Maritime Ronn says:

PK is an easy target.
      He is the total package of supreme talent and a marketing dream with a personality and smile in the same package.

In a market like Montreal, a Norris trophy winner’s every move-every shift and pass will be scrutinized. That,s just the way it is.

PK is just 24, and while he has all the tools to be a great one, there are still flaws in his game and on ice judgement issues.

Unless PK is doing an Oscar winning performance, he doesn’t outwardly appear to have any problems with the way everything is being handled so far.

This seems to be blown way out of proportion.
      The only time any cf these issues would be confirmed is IF the Habs offer him a long term contract, and PK refuses to sign.

Only then, would that confirm some deep and important issues.

• Maritime Ronn says:

…and don’t worry about what rank Subban falls into concerning the money list.

IF the Habs offer him a long term contract, and IF he agrees to sign long term, his contract will be the most lucrative contract in the history of les Canadiens

40. Habilis says:

@Timo

Perfect example of what’s been flying around. Momesso tweeted this a few minutes ago:

“Sergio Momesso ‏@SergioMomesso36
    #habson690 Habs calling up David st-pierre today is bad news for Desharnais . Look for #51 to be out of lineup vs St-Louis”

He corrected himself on the first name error right after.

41. montreal ace says:

Subban has been outstanding on the PP this year, as was the case last year. This year playing at equal strength he has been weak and has gone to the sin bin too often. I think its hard to get PK time from the penalty
    box, so he might want to address that problem. I like PK and think he has all the tools, to do well 5 on 5, but he needs to work on it. The nice stats concerning our defence so far, have come from the goalies and the guys blocking shots

• HabsTrueBlue says:

If PK has been “weak” while even strength then what does that say about the rest of the team given that PK leads the team in even strength points?
      He does have more minor penalties than anyone on the team but he is getting better and staying out of the box recently.

I think the nice stats from our defence is all the supplemental scoring they are giving our team.

• montreal ace says:

HTB when I mentioned the stats for the defence , it was about our goals against. When I mention PK at equal strength and team defence, its not about the points a player gets, its about the ones he prevents.

• Maritime Ronn says:

In 5×5 situations, Subban is on the ice for more Habs goals scored than against.

Subban also plays the most even strength minutes of ALL Habs dmen and more often than not against the best the other teams have to offer

• chemic says:

p.k is +2 after that colorado debale (and man advantage does not count). i know you cant make an analyse based on this one figure but its a pretty good start when you want to say that subban isnt a weak player at equal strengh.

that “suposed to be norris champ who isnt because he was injured” is -3 and this with double figures in points.

42. habnonymous1 says:

re: Martin St. Pierre,

You’ve got to admire a guy who sticks with it through this career trajectory:

Guelph Storm, Greenville Grrrowl, Edmonton Roadrunners, Chicago Blackhawks, Norfolk Admirals, Chicago Blackhawks, Norfolk Admirals, Chicago Blackhawks, Khimik Moscow, Rockford IceHogs, Boston Bruins, Providence Bruins, Ottawa Senators, Binghamton Senators, Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk-Russia, Karpat Oulu-Finland, EC Red Bull Salzburg-Austria, Springfield Falcons, Rockford IceHogs, Hamilton Bulldogs, Montreal Canadiens.

I saw quite a few Guelph Storm games when St.Pierre was there ( he was Marty back then ). He was speedy, gritty, and a goal-scorer. He compared very well with Ryan Callaghan & Corey Perry at the time. And a real fan favourite. I hope he does well for the Habs.

http://hamiltonbulldogs.com/pressbox/news/?article_id=432 “Anything can happen to anybody if they work hard.” – Martin St. Pierre, 2013.

• third generation haber says:

We were saying the same things about DD a few seasons ago. We have too many small forwards to compete in the playoffs. St. Pierre may make it to the NHL, but it should be on another team.

j.p. murray

Another day Michael Therrien hasn’t been fired. Sigh.

There is a couple of LA Kings ice girls on this season of The Amazing Race. Pas pire, pas pire.

And to top it off RDS’s headline article “Therrien is October’s star”

Yep, there is a place with an unbiased opinion and reporting.

45. third generation haber says:

We called-up another midget???

I feel like I’m taking crazy pills!!!!

j.p. murray

• Timo says:

Why did Habs call someone up? Did anyone get injured?

• Habilis says:

St-Pierre up, Blunden down.

Lots of speculation on twitter so far. Basically people are saying that this means DD is sitting, since MT wouldn’t want St-Pierre on the 4th line. Still, nothing concrete so nobody really knows the reason.

• Timo says:

No, I get that, but what’s the point of sending Blunden down (since he was sitting out the game anyway) and recalling someone else to warm up the seat?

This is probably beyond the level of wisdom I can comprehend.

Maybe Therrien will play St Pierre instead of Subban.

• Habilis says:

That’s exactly why the gossip started. As you pointed out, there’s no reason to call up St-Pierre to sit, so someone who played last game must be sitting next game.

Either MT is sitting Parros or White, in which case Blunden would probably have been the better replacement. Or he’s sitting DD or LL, in which case St-Pierre is the better replacement. Maybe. Because nobody actually knows anything.

MT benching Subban for anyone… How come that doesn’t sound as crazy as it should?

46. Mattyleg says:

Heh heh.

Love the responses to my story on the other thread, and I guess it just proves that people will read exactly what they want into anything, regardless of overall meaning, and that there are literal-minded people out there who are fundamentally unable to read between the lines.

What heartens me is that the members of that last group are the ones who think that Therrien is being a big meanie to PK. If they’re able to so catastrophically misinterpret my very simple story, then they are clearly capable of being equally wrong about everything else.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

47. ProHabs says:

Just ran into PK Subban on Crescent St. He was heading towards Kojax’s for a pita souflaki.
    He told me he is sick and tired of playing for Therrien and is ready to bolt the first chance he gets. He said he might even consider sitting out the rest of this season if he doesn’t start getting some ice time on the penalty kill.
    I tried to calm him down but he wanted none of it. It doesn’t look good folks.

48. The Dude says:

Look it ..the fact is right now based on every thing connected to performance, Subban and Gallagher are the main building blocks to build around on the’ beached for 20 years on the rocks’ Costa Concordehabs.and if the Coaches and Management don’t recognize this reality, then they must go and NOW!

49. durocher says:

If Gally is playing center, that should further push DD out of the lineup because Pleks, Eller, and White can play center.

Proposal: DD and Diaz for Volchenkov and a 3rd (a 2nd if the Devils re-sign Diaz). Volchenkov has struggled for the Devils, he carries a decent salary and has a few years left on his contract, and thus may be a candidate to be moved. At the same time, he’s an amazing shotblocker who could fit in well with his homeboys Markov and Emelin.

Here’s what I’d do (with a healthy line-up):

Max-Gally27-Gally11
    Bournival-Pleks-Gio
    Bourque-Eller-Prust/LL
    Moen-White-Holland/Parros

Gorges-Subban
    Markov-Emelin
    Volchenkov/Murray/Cube

50. chilli says:

@Jackal –

Why would a repeated post ‘out me as a sham?’. I repeated what I said earlier as so many people refuse to believe that PK may be a problem in the room.

I personally don’t think it’s a bad thing. PK is my favorite player on the Habs. I really don’t care when he makes mistakes as he is the most dynamic player the city of Montreal has seen in years.

And I don’t really care who likes him in that room.

I’m simply sharing some truths and defending the challenge that Therien has in dealing with him.

Tre

• The Jackal says:

It’s just not true at all that PK is not liked in the room, plain and simple.
      It’s fact that he is close with a few of the guys and he gets along with the team.

And yes, it would be a problem if what you say actually is the case, as PK not being liked by his teammates is a big deal, specially if it creates a challenge for the coaching staff, it’s a situation that leads to rifts and toxicity in the room.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• chilli says:

I appreciate your tone – as most people I engage with here just start typing insults.
        I am simply sharing what I have been told. If and when I meet someone who played on this team and was in that dressing room and tells me otherwise, then and only then will I believe that he is well liked.

All things point to what I have heard from people in the room – and quite frankly, it really doesn’t matter as none of those guys are on the team anymore, which tells me, management is siding with PK.

But I disagree with you that it is a problem. No one liked Roy. No one. Ask him about his brawl with Chelios and Corson in the dressing room. No one likes Kobe or Jordan…. they are winners. That’s all that matters.

Tre

• The Jackal says:

This seems like a familiar discussion.
          So it must have been you just reposting something from a while back, so my apologies, I thought it was two different guys just trolling it.

Anyhow, if what you say is true, then good to see management “siding” with PK. But at the same time, it really does matter if he is liked or not. If the team dislikes him, and the coach has to deal with him in a special way, it hurts the team in the long run. But like I said, there is also the fact that PK is close friends with some players and gets along with the kids.

But you can imagine if PK was really disliked by his team, and then by MT, how that is problematic. He’s an affable guy, not a jerk. Maybe Roy was disliked – I don’t know – but his personality is not the same as PK’s. You can be a star and not clash with your teammates.

______________________
          Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Was it Souray who held a skate blade up to Roy’s face? Or Corson? I forget. But yeah, I heard Patrick was not a favourite.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

51. :lol:

The last 24 hours here has been hilarious, thanks to all who contributed to the laugh out loud train.

There was a quote of the night just a few minutes ago.

Something about Halak and Eller? That’s Gold Jerry, Gold I tells Ya.

:lol:

Alright time to put the kids to bed, you fans have a great evening.

Halak over Eller……classic denial.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

52. NightRyder says:

How about Desharnais to the Canucks for David Booth? One team’s trash for another team’s trash. Salaries are in the ballpark, Booth only has one more year after this. We escape the final two years of DD’s deal. Canucks desperately need secondary scoring from the centre position. Booth is a china doll, but is a big winger with good wheels who has scored 30 goals in the Eastern Conference. Fresh start would help both players.

• The Jackal says:

It’s a better and more plausible idea than what has been thrown out there, that’s for sure. Actually sounds like a decent deal.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• ABHabsfan says:

Not a bad idea. And Booth being made of glass as he is, there is good chance he will spend most of his contract on IR and the Habs get the cap relief. I like it

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• matt jordan says:

Desharnais has three years left on his contract unfortunately.

The Canucks also have Kesler and Sedin locked up and they have Bo Horvat, Hunter Shinkurak and Brendan Guance in the pipeline.

And how does a player with zero goals this season help secondary scoring?

Why would the Canucks want the smallest center in the league as a third liner? All the Canucks have to do is look at the Habs and know its not going to work.

Mike Gillis would have to be Kevin Lowe brutal to make that trade.

• Mick says:

I support any trade that involves “Little David”.

• CH Marshall says:

don’t think DD is Torts’ type of player

• Timo says:

… and since they desperately need secondary scoring, why would they be interested in Day-Har-Nay?

53. port elgin says:

With the new playoff format, the season will be over early this year

54. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Let’s not forget that Halak was a pending RFA who would have demanded serious coin, and/or could have signed an enormous offer sheet, in which case the Habs would have lost him for nothing. Instead, the goat turned that sticky situation into Eller, Schultz, and the RFA rights of Chris Mason, if I recall it correctly.

Seems to me that this was one of the goat’s genuinely smart moves. And when Price and Eller are amongst the players who eventually lead the Habs to the Cup, we should remember the goat with a modicum of kindness.

• showey47 says:

Pretty sure mason wasn’t part of it,i think you are thinking of dan ellis who was in the sergei kostitsyn trade. Though I am a big fan of eller I do feel we could have got a little more from the blues like switching 1st round picks which would have moved us up to 14 or something instead of drafting in the late 20’s. I still think the habs win this trade regardless.

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Not to mention, if he had waited just one week for draft day, he would have had a sweet bargaining chip available. I’m still amazed that so many have such a sunny opinion of Gauthier now that he is in the rear-view mirror. That trade, like so many of his decisions, still seems bizarre.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• RAM_TOUGH says:

Guts-Glory-Ram

55. 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

This one’s for Punkster from the previous thread about the people freaking out

Looked a lot like McNamara
    Drove a mini van
    Was the only paid up member
    Of the national hand wringing gang

Panic in hio
    Panic about Marc streit
    I asked pk for an autograph
    I hope dd gets waived

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

56. Danno says:

An incredible tale about a vintage Habs crested team blazer

Stubbs: Half-century of history in prized Habs jacket

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

57. port elgin says:

Let’s face facts…

The team is not very good.

Period

58. port elgin says:

Still not convinced Halak for Eller and a bum was a good deal.

Habs could have done way better

another crap trade

59. Stevie.Ray says:

The new Gally’s +PAC line will undoubtedly be getting the majority of offensive zone starts. They will be sheltered. That’s good for them. Expect big points from them, but it will mean Eller, and Pleks lines will be doing the heavy lifting in our end. Which they can handle.

60. HabFab says:

For the fight fans only, Crisp going after someone bigger last night;

61. kerrgte says:

I’m pleased St Pierre is getting a chance to play with the big club. So often older players are relegated to the minors because their ‘window of opportunity’ has closed.

This says a lot about MB – he’s fair with everyone.

I also hope to see Hamilton’s Sven Andrighetto, an over age draftee, get his chance too. He was a later round pick with the iron will to succeed.

How many people do we know are (were) late bloomers?

cheers

62. Phil C says:

The most significant thing about the Therrien press conference is this: (from the Stubbs article above)

“The positive (in this game) is the adjustment we made with Galchenyuk playing centre with Pacioretty and Gallagher,” Therrien said. “It’s something we’ve been thinking about and we decided to do it in the third period and I was really pleased. This is an experiment that we’re going to repeat again.”

The Habs suddenly look very good in the middle with Galchenyuk, Plekanec, and Eller on the first three lines. It will be interesting to see the lines in the next practice.

• jols101 says:

I just hope Therrien gives it a decent chance. I can see him switching things up after the first d-zone mistake Galchenyuk makes.

Therrien hates defensive mistakes unless your name is Bouillon, Diaz, DD, or the entire 4th line.

• Phil C says:

Me too, he’ll have to be somewhat patient with him, there will be mistakes as he learns how to play centre in the NHL and learns about his opponents. There is no teacher like experience.

• NL Hab says:

That line with Patches, Chucky and Gally were starting to form some decent chemistry. Hopefully they will bag a few the next game. I love Patches taking perfect passes from Chucky and Gally in front putting home the garbage. Hopefully Patches can stay healthy.

Et Le But

63. Marc10 says:

A couple of thoughts on the weekend.

1. Only two guys on the team are consistent offensive threats – Gally and PK. Honorable mentions to Pleks and Bourni… but any way you slice it, that’s not enough top 9 players putting the puck in the net to hope to win.
    2. We knew our D would be weak. It is. With PK having to be a game-breaker up font and an all-star on the back end, it’s a lot to ask. He’s making mistakes and it shouldn’t surprise anyone. It’s a lot to ask. Ultimately PK will be fine.
    3. Chucky and Eller are still a work in progress. They’re doing everything but putting the puck in the net. Now that Chucky is going to get DD’s spot, I expect he’ll struggle in his zone. This league is tough and it’s going to be an education – especially given our D issues.
    4. Our 4th line needs Moen and Prust. Until they return, the Habs’ fourth line is likely to get owned by most teams. They’re not good enough.
    5. Bourni and LL are a bright spot. Great energy. Hopefully Patches and Bourque feed off that… We need goals from the big guys.
    6. I love the kid, but it’s overdue for MT to sit DD. If his line is not an offensive threat, he’s a minus. Same with Briere. You can only tread water for so long when the team is losing. This weekend was his big chance to make a difference. I would assume he gets picked up if he’s sent down (what with the Habs picking up a good chunk of the tab…) so that’s not happening. But he should sit. There’s zero confidence and zero production there.
    7. No issues with the goalies thus far.
    8. Here’s hoping Yemmy isn’t too rusty. He can’t come back soon enough!

64. NL Hab says:

What were the comments made by MT about PK after last nights game? Seems to be getting a lot of attention in here.

Et Le But

• Phil C says:

From the Stubbs article above:

” “The execution by the defencemen cost us the game,” he said. “The first (goal) was a bad cover and the second one we turned the puck over and it cost the game.”

He didn’t name names, but Douglas Murray lost the puck in his skates on the first goal and Subban and Markov were each an uncharacteristic minus-3.”

65. Willy the bum says:

All this talk by the media, about MT’s post-comments on “a defenseman” and his cost for the loss, is getting over-exaggerating. It’s Therrien; the same coach who ousted every single Pens player in Pittsburgh from a playoff postgame interview. Only that Penguins team were young, and criticized their coach for being rough at them. Tough on them.
    Subban should know by now that unlike Crosby or Malkin, he’s mature enough to know it is not easy to play in the big league and he has to know he must do his utmost best at his game instead of impressing to anybody. And he should know the coach will not play favourites but play with the best. Look at what Therrien did for DD during the 3rd period at the Avs game: he was mostly benched!
    I just wish they would just start over right now, and get them together to figure out solutions to win games. Screw this media fiasco, what matters is what is happening on the ice.

66. frontenac1 says:

Thing is, mobile site was working fine on BlackBerry 10 and Android until last week and then Kaput! C”mon Nerds at HIO! Go back or Fix Por Favor!

67. Mavid says:

The Sens lost..again (rubs hands together) thats 4 in a row now..a shootout today so they get 1 point..but it is still a loss

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

68. jols101 says:

Lots of talk about hurt feelings for PK Subban today, what about Lars Eller? Instead of Galchenyuk being dropped down to take DD’s spot, Eller gets dropped from his line to take DD’s spot. Should Lars Eller feel slighted or pissed off?

• JM says:

whether Eller Likes it or not. MB and MT must think Galchenyuk is the better center They’re wasting him on the left wing this is gonna be an experiment. If it doesn’t work out. Most likely the EGG line will be Re-united … I don’t see a thing wrong with it and for sure Eller is not better than Plekanec so who else would they put on the 3rd line. Maybe we’ll have a good 3rd line for a change!!

69. thehabs21 says:

Whats all this about MB having a mess on his hands because of Subban and MT? someone fill me in ????????

“I can’t really hear what Jeremy says, because I’ve got my two Stanley Cup rings plugging my ears”

• The Jackal says:

It literally is just speculation and dumb rumours that have been started because of some vague comments.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

70. frontenac1 says:

A few posters have mentioned and I concur. What the Hell have they done to the Mobile site? Every time I hit Refresh, I get Boones Blog! I have to go back three steps on my browser each time to post! It’s not just BB, it’s Android too! C”mon giuys! Get with the program and fix it!

• Mavid says:

My I phone one the posts are out of order, and it put symbols were there should be words so I cannot read some of what is posted. The I pad one only loads one page and then it craps out..they are really bad I don’t use them any more

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

71. montreal ace says:

Halak coming into town, no controversy in that topic.

72. Stevie.Ray says:

Very excited to see Galchenyuk between Pacioretty and Gallagher. That line looked strong in the third period.

Curious what the other two lines will look like now though.

Bournival – Plekanec – Gionta
    Leblanc – Eller – Bourque
    Parros – White – Moen
    Desharnais

I feel bad for Eller though. If only we could get another strong offensively skilled LW to play with him

73. Captain Pike says: