Halak sent down; Price coming up?

RDS is reporting that the Canadiens have sent goaltender Jaroslav Halak to the Hamilton Bulldogs of the American Hockey League.

While it hasn’t been announced yet, the likely scenario will see the Canadiens recall Carey Price before Tuesday’s game against the Ottawa Senators.

1. idle says:

I’m luke warm on Lats. Sometimes he plays well along the boards, mucks it up and has decent finish in tight to the net but nothing else really stands out about him and too many times he is coasting out of the way when he should be right in there. It’s tough to gage his potential so I have mostly been staying away from the Lats debate.

2. idle says:

Yeah that was a fun play to watch when he came out like a mad man. All I could think though was ‘for the love of God please stop this puck’ cause if he flopped badly and they scored I don’t know how I would go about defending it…

Almost time for me to move onto the defense of a different player anyways. First it was the Breezer and now Huet. Who is next? Maybe I should take votes.

Cheers

3. Plek-Andrew says:

Yeh I’m with Kat on this one…
    He’s doing pretty well on the 4th line. He plays incredibly smart hockey… I don’t know what people really expected of smolinski when we signed him. I thought he’d a role-playing type of guy at this point in his career and i’m pretty content with his play…

Am I the only one?

4. idle says:

Lets trade for another good young goalie and make things even more interesting : )

5. likehoy says:

i hope yann danis gets called up then they have a real battle of goalies down in the AHL.

They should honestly give Halak and Price some real competition by pitting them against each other in the AHL and the loser back-ups Huet until the playoffs cause they’ll see maybe 3 games…while the winner gets called back up in case Huet gets injured in the playoffs. There is nothing more exciting than 2 young goalies battling it out for the number 1 position considering they’re both good enough to start…but aren’t good enough to be consistent starters in the NHL. Thus far, Price and Halak have similar numbers up in the NHL, but Halak has the edge in the AHL, which means squat except that he’s good at stopping shooters that may or may not ever make the NHL. So I’d really like to see the two compete against each other, could be things to come in the future, might as well get a head start on the rivalry…and if Halak outplays Price in the AHL, trade value goes up in case we do want to get rid of him.

6. idle says:

Timo your dislike for Huet is growing in status. Soon he will be up there with Breezer, Carbo and Lats?

Why do you have to tell us ever day that you dislike these players. I have no stats to back it up but I would guess that more then half of your posts include a shot at at least one of those 4 people. Give it a rest for a bit huh?

7. Habs-Kat says:

I don’t know, he seems to be filling his fourth line role pretty well.

8. yehaken says:

What did Halak do wrong? They even let Locke play a game in the end!

9. Vancouver Hab Fan says:

Cut Smolinski because he completely sucks and bring back Chipchura; if Chipper is still hurt then cut Smolinksi and call up Milroy. Please just cut Smolinski because he is crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. The Teacher says:

I hope you’re right! and I also hope you don’t break the back of the bandwagon jumping on and off 😛

11. Robert L says:

When things settle down in the summer, I’ll be posting more at that site, and filling out the remainder of the goalies in the Habs organization.

I made contact with another Habs prospect of that era named Dave Elenbaas. I just received an e-mail from him and he sent me five pictures that hardly anyone has ever seen. He only suited up for exhibition games with Montreal, but was an excellent goalie for the Voyageurs and Cornell prior to that. Elenbaas followed in Dryden’s footsteps at Cornell U, before winning four consecutive Harry “Hap” Holmes trophies for top goaltender in the AHL with Nova Scotia between 1974 and 1977. At Cornell, he was involved in an infamous chicken incident on ice, that kept his name prominant in the lore of university hockey for some time.

Once I get around to posting on goalies again, his entry will be updated. The big frustration is finding out anything to do with the Nova Scotia Voyageurs in the 1970’s. For such a successful franchise, there sure isn’t much out there as resource material.

12. wild flower says:

I fear the same thing. Halak has been the best of the bunch on many occasions during the last two years (including last year’s stretch run and this year’s training camp). Why are they so sure he isn’t the best for the future as well?

13. WestHab says:

I always thought that Price would be back in time for the next Leafs game.
    Also our schedule is now getting very busy lots of back to backs.
    Halak will be traded but that’s the pain of playing in an organization with depth.

14. showey47 says:

Its gotta be tough for halak to take, i’ve got a feeling he is gonna bolt for the bucks in the russian super league like perezogin did if we don’t find him a roster spot in montreal or another nhl city. I feel really bad for yann danis who i posted about earlier, had the best camp of all the goaltenders in september and is #4 on the depth chart.

15. Mr.Hazard says:

Halak deserves another chance, I don’t care how much they want to work up Price… It’s like his accomplishments of last year don’t mean anything anymore.

Ex nihilo nihil fit

16. sadave says:

I don’t know . . . Halak was in Montreal, this time, just as Huet got hot. We’re not a running a spa for goalies. Sometimes “things” don’t work out. Ask Corey Locke.

Or Caesar Maniago. Or Phil Myre. Or Wayne Thomas. Or Rick Walmsley. Or Bunny Laroque (RIP). Or Michel Plasse. Or Denis DeJordy. Or Rogie Vachon. Or Ernie Wakely. (that’s about as far back as I go . . .). We even had Tony Esposito and Chico Resch in the system early in their careers. These ‘tendies (and others) played for a time, some longer than others, with the good guys, but moved on to good (and even Hall of Fame) careers elsewhere.

And I don’t think it’s a lack of respect. We all like to think the Canadiens are the classiest organization in hockey (but I really hate when we trade our captains! Yes, I’ll wince if Koivu is dealt)) — why would BG want to disrespect a good player like Halak? Sometimes trading a player is a sign of respect, too . . . giving him a chance to play, regrettably, for another team.

Thanks to the goalers blog at Eyes on the Prize:

I’ve seen all the goalies above play in Mtl and elsewhere — but there are so many more listed at that blog. Really interesting reading!

17. Bill H says:

I have a lot of confidence in Carbo and especially BG. Its hard to know what their plans are with regard to the 3 top goalies in the system. Halak is RFA at end of the season, and Huet is UFA at end of season. Clearly Halak must be super pissed with the way he has been treated, and I don’t blame him a bit. He played great last year with the Habs. This year, he has been banished to the minor leagues, except for one call up when he rode the bench the entire time. I don’t think BG is managing his goalie resources very well. The Habs will lose Halak. If we trade him, we won’t get much for him. And I think if we manage to hold on to Huet, it will be at a high financial cost. Time will tell.

18. PattyBoy31 says:

I kinda feel sorry for Chipchura too, him and Price are buddies aren’t they? lol

19. J.T. says:

I can’t help thinking the decisions they’re making now involving goaltenders will cement the team’s future. They’re banking everything on Price panning out. But my fear is that in the process of treating him with kid gloves, they’re ignoring a guy who’s been great at every level and is only a year older than Price. If Price becomes good, but not great, we could regret mishandling Halak. Especially if he ends up being great somewhere else. I have a lot of faith in Gainey, so I trust he’s doing the right thing and we’re not going to be the Sens in five years…everything but a goalie.

20. PattyBoy31 says:

I agree, i have a $300 price jersey that i want to start wearing again but I think what halak has been through isn’t fair. His trade value isn’t going up either if we don’t play him

21. Bean says:

I am as excited about Carey Price and his future as much as the next Hab fan, but I think Halak’s been given short shrift by this team too many times. I wish he’d been given a real shot.

If he’d seen a couple games this past month, he’d be in better shape to face the Leafs and Price could’ve continued to gain momentum and confidence in Hamilton before coming back up to the big club.

22. The Teacher says:

They don’t. what did he accomplish exactly?

23. The Teacher says:

Hats off to them. Their defence played awesome.

24. Dru says:

I have to wonder if they *don’t* plan to trade Halak, and want to keep him as number 2 if they lose Huet. It’s the only way this plan of action makes sense. If they play him and he plays well, then his price goes up when he goes RFA, so it’s not in BG’s interest to do so. This way, they maximize their leverage in bargaining, with both Huet and Halak. It’s actually the maximally conservative tack, in keeping with what we know of Bob. I have to assume that the same applies to Yann Danis–idea being that you can’t have too many hotshot goaltenders in the system, chomping at the bit, no matter how frustrating for them. That’s what makes sense to me, anyway.

25. skoehn says:

What The….. This is stupid

26. likehoy says:

he can play well enough to win hockey games for a mediocre NHL team?

27. skoehn says:

CBC called this move eariler today rudy said they would bring price back up but he thought it wasn’t a good thing to do… They obviously don’t think halak can win after sitting for such a long time and Price has been playing So there bringing him up to play and rest Huet its an interesting move not fair to halak but not surprising its tuff being a goalie in montreal fans expect flawless perfection and coaches don’t appear to have consistent confedence in them with the exception of this last run with huet which i think was all planned they let price go and play get confident see lots of ice and see how long they can ride huet which HUET has been AWESOME today was not his fault he played very well for back to back situation…. So know you have huet able to go for long stretches and Price ready to come in as the habs hunt down the playoffs…

28. The Teacher says:

There are lots of goalies who can do that. We want to win the Cup, no?

29. notbigbird says:

I have to agree. This doesn’t strike me as at all classy. He almost pulled us out of the fire last year, and hasn’t been given a chance this time around.

30. likehoy says:

chipper’s gotta pick up his game a little more…maybe if he can find a michael peca level of production

31. ebk says:

Big games against the Senators Tuesday and Saturday.

Price has played tons of games since he got sent down, they are handling him perfectly. He is a better choice to start the game against the Leafs than Halak. The kid(Halak) has not played in about a month.