Halak seeks seventh straight win

Jaroslav Halak and the Canadiens will be looking to extend their current winning streak to seven games tonight against the Toronto Maple Leafs.

It was no surprise when Jacques Martin confirmed that Halak will get the start tonight. In his six previous wins, he has posted a 2.06 goals-against average. A win tonight would give him the longest winning streak for a Montreal goaltender since José Theodore had seven consecutive wins in 2002.

1. habs03 says:

I feel the same. Every year, I pray the Canadiens win the cup but if not any team other but the leafs.

2. Exit716 says:

I’d rather pay Price $5 million a year and send him to the minors than trade him to that crap hole of a franchise with their idiotic fan base.

3. SmartDog says:

I want a 3-point game.

————————————————————-
    Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

4. Bryan says:

I dunno, I’d take Carter any day of the week…

_______________________________

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

5. namgel says:

Nobody will ever understand how much I hate the Leafs…  Its a sickness I know.  But I really really hate them…  I talked to O’Byrne last year at this time and said. “Dude….Kill them ”  and they pooched it and lost 5-2  On my friggen birthday….  I was beside myself for three weeks.  I hate them….I want them to fold and move to Alabama.  Die Leaf Die !!!!  And guess what…Born in Toronto is 1968……hate ‘em hate ‘em…

GO HABS GO !!!!!!!!!!

Coach Martin say’s one…..one little forward…two….two lit..

6. andrewberkshire says:

I always enjoy the 67 chant.

7. Bugs says:

Bush league! I love it!

THAT’S what folks should chant at the Bell insteada “leafs suck” just for once.

“Buuush league. Buuush league. Buuush league.”

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

L.B. Potter, esq. First Bugler of the St-Habberson’s Club Red Brigade and Head Coachman to the President of Habsbros Flannel-weaving Services: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

8. derfab says:

Glad to hear Cammy is not being rushed. We should be very smart about how or if we use our most valuable players from here on in, especially against a bush league team like TO.

The muckers should get major ice. Markov, Gomez, Pleks should not see much 3rd period action. If-only-he-could-learn-to-fight-Lappy should be ready to purposefully slew-foot a Phaneuf or Kessel if someone takes a cheap shot at any Hab.

9. SeriousFan09 says:

**** that garbage, why should we give the Filthy Flyers a real goaltender? Leave ‘em to rot as an eternal playoff failure team and never let those dirty hacks challenge for a Cup by giving them a future star goaltender.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

10. Bugs says:

For the picture they took and the Superior Drama it would cause if they called it first home game of the series, no one’s gonna debate ya, Tre.

Team would get a real mental boost from it too because it’s a choice that WORKS, even if this guy or that guy could be better.

We’d be the talk of the town. Piling more momentum on our momentum.

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

11. lavie says:

No C until new coach coming.

12. Bugs says:

I hope K Senior’s first shot hits Gustaf in the mask.

Let’m know what time it is.

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

13. SeriousFan09 says:

Markov in the middle, dare I say foreshadowing?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

14. Bugs says:

(edit) Ok, I get it.

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

15. Bill H says:

Amazing coincidence.  Both teams are on a season best winning streak.  Habs 6W leafs 2W.  If leafs win tonight, it will be their longest streak of the millenium.   ;-)

I hope Sergei plays opposite Grabovski.

Leafs have the worst PK record in the league, second worst PP, second worst goals against ranking.

I predict 4-3 Habs.

16. Jordio-oh says:

yes, he did.

4-2 over boston

3-2 over boston

7-5 over ottawa

4-3 over buffalo

3-0 over ottawa

3-1 over buffalo

3-1 over toronto

17. habs03 says:

Now that everyone stoped the Halak/Price debate for the time being. We need to have another one, but this one is more important. We NEED a capitain going into the playoffs, its should be a must. I think it’s down to Markov and Gionta, and Cammy should get some consideration. I hope it gets done soon.

18. light_n_tasty says:

Yes…he won 7 straight from Mar. 20 to Apr. 5.

9 straight if you count games 1 and 2 against the Broons.

19. HUDSONHAB says:

GO HABS GO!

Hab4life

20. Le Jadester says:

I don’t know ……..but the “Big Derby Night in Canada” isn’t meeting up to its expectations in terms of Pre Game Hype (i.e. Real/Barca, Man. U/Liverpool etc. Fan Clubs from all over hittin’ the Pubs early and gettin’ ready). All my loser Leaf fan buddies are like ” ahh who cares its a meaningless game” or “the Habs are gonna get knocked out in the 1st round anyways”

Its just not as fun for us when the laffs continue to be a laughable team and there are no playoff implications with each of the 6 annual meetings.  Part of me wants them to get better so these games will mean somethin’ like the last game of the season 3 years ago (which Halak should’ve started in by the way). IMO its not good for Hockey when the Upper/Lower Canada rivalry is not the most important thing on a Saturday night.

Either way, you know if they pull somethin’ out of their arses tonight they are gonna be like “oh ya baby, watch out for the real PK, TieBO and all the young guns next year” Chirp, Chirp, chirp, like a typical Laff fan.  Man, they’re a bunch of little sucky babies.

Habs, OLE !

21. andrewberkshire says:

Didn’t Price win 7 straight to end the 07-08 season?

22. Bugs says:

Nice.

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

23. showey47 says:

I don’t think orr is going to be fighting anyone tonight. He will probably spend 58 minutes on the bench,unless it goes to overtime then it will be 63 minutes. What’s the point of fighting that useless cement head,losing anyone to a 5 minute fighting major is a bad trade off for us no matter who it is. In orr’s case he will just be sitting on a different bench for 5 minutes then he is used to sitting on.

24. Bugs says:

Theo won 7 straight in 2002?

Lemme take a wild one here: was it the 2nd half of the season?

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

25. Habsrule1 says:

After the win tonight to make it 7 straight, the crowd should be awesome Monday! I had a chance to go to that game too, and I turned it down!

Damn me for being responsible and deciding the $75 could be better used towards my kid!!

Go Habs Go!! “I don’t have a copy of Georges’ code, I don’t know what it is,”. “I think the code is that you’re here for your teammates. It’s not your code, it’s our code.” – Bob Gainey

26. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Count me in! Wow a lot of Habs fans in the GTA area. I never knew!

27. SPATS says:

Do we really wanna play Buffalo? Passing the sens and finshing 5th would guarantee it. I’d prefer to face Jersey.

28. habbyone says:

Melnyk is probably thinking more along the lines of a swim in the Rideau canal with full equipment.

29. SPATS says:

I have a feeling Lappy will have to face the Orr music, his days in Mtl may depend on it! Show JM you have a pair Lappy and maybe he’ll remember your effort and forget the beating you’ll absorb!

30. SPATS says:

Thanks for clearing that up, I was confused…With the game in TO tonight, won’t they be sporting the “white” leaf on Blue?

31. SPATS says:

Absolutely correct, As long as the NHL pursues American (and some Canadian ah ah ahtchocalgary) markets… the purists will have to take a back seat to what sells there. Since sex is not an option, we’ll give them violence. Armchair wannabes with big egos fuelled by alcohol live for the sideshow. I prefer to spark one up and watch the game in slo mo via 50″ HD and PVR. Et le but!

32. ed lopaz says:

O’Byrne

I think you meant to say, ‘at least, spell his name correctly”. you really should correct your grammar.

33. SPATS says:

Melnyk should take Kovy for a walk along the Rideau canal…

34. lavie says:

Do Sens fans blame Kovalev for the slide?

35. hockeylegend514 says:

I feel bad for you for having to live around maple leafs moron fans :p

36. SeriousFan09 says:

Even if they do win (which they won’t), laugh at them and call ‘em fair-weather fans for only putting the flag out when the team wins a game. I’ve been flying my Habs flag every day since I got it, win or loss, I back my Habs.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

37. Chuck says:

At least correctly spell his name.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

38. ed lopaz says:

it always surprises me how some people underestimate the cleverness of the nhl goon.

its a job!

many goons are actually bright guys off the ice – some are smarter than others of course like any other profession.

but they can paid huge money – $1 million and some more – to play a game they love –

for many – not all – its totally an act – like wrestlers – and as long as the NHL does not ban fighting,

these goons will be laughing all the way to the bank

39. rocket09 says:

I live in Guelph and am surrounded by loud mouthed Leaf fans! I hope to hell I don’t have to see those Leaf car flags flying on our street tomorrow! Yeck! We can’t come out flat tonight as the Leaf youngsters will be flying!

40. Say Ash says:

Wow, I thought our slide last year was bad but Ottawa’s is Biblical

41. lavie says:

Happy Bugs.  Long time no see. lol

42. ed lopaz says:

obourne and moen will be asked to fight tonight

43. HabFanSince72 says:

You make a good argument for hating the CBC, not the Leafs.

I hate the Flyers much more than the Leafs.

And the hate I feel for the Bruins – well, it helps me understand how things like Serbia-Croatia and Israel-Palestine are possibe.

44. Chuck says:

We are everywhere!

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

45. Bugs says:

I see envy green, red noses too.
    I see leafs fall, for me and you
    And I think to myself:
    “What a wonderful world.”

I see shirts of blue, and hairs of white
    A bright blessed day, and leafs lose tonight
    And I think to myself:
    “What a wonderful world.”

Tricolors in the Big Show, so pretty on the ice
    Are also in the numbers, of people throwin dice.
    I see books backing Habs, saying “Sign me for 2K$.”
    But they’re really sayin: “I love you.”

I hear leafers crying; I watch them blow.
    They’ll stink much more, than they’ll ever know
    And I think to myself:
    “What a wonderful world.”
    Yes, I think to myself:
    “What a wonderful world.”

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

46. Chuck says:

Especially in their own building!

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

47. HabFab says:

Okay, but try to keep them down please ;)

We play them again the last game. My mistake, 1st one ever!!!!

49. HabFab says:

Ian, believe we play the Laffs again on the last game of season ( April 10th)

Knowing him he will jump someone. The day is over for this type of goon. Toronto just does not know it yet. Great management they have. Let’s finish last out of 30 teams, so we can give our first two picks over all away.

51. mrhabby says:

TO has lots of great things going for it..just like all the other cities/provinces in this country. one is no better than the other..just being reasonable here….yes i hate the leafs to.

52. showey47 says:

I don’t know who orr is going to fight tonight since we don’t have any cement heads in our lineup.But will probably max out his ice time at 2 or 3 mins like he does every other game.

53. Chuck says:

And I’m in Milton. We could star a Leaf-Hater Fanclub… west of Toronto chapter.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

54. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Merci Dallas! Habs can cross the Sens in the standings today, if they win. Go Habs Go!

It being the last time this year that we see the blue leaf. They have their golf clubs in the trunk of their cars. There is not a thing left on the line for them to play for except to put on a show for their fans.

Orr will have two fights tonight, but with who? And they play a chippy game. We must play disciplined and use our speed out there tonight. Play our game and we walk out with 2 points. Get caught up in the retaliation stuff and we will be in the box all night.

Play with our heads up and our feet moving out there and use our great speed, the last thing we need is injuries again. Just get our two points and get out of town.

56. Bryan says:

Phew!  Stars pull it out.

_______________________________

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

57. joeybarrie says:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

58. joeybarrie says:

Big day for Spezza. Hopefully not enough….Cmon Stars.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

59. lavie says:

I said a couple of days ago that the Habs-Sens game would be deciding who would the No. 5th or 6th. Look now, the Sens almost lost again (to Stars).

60. Bryan says:

Woop!  I almost feel sorry for them.

_______________________________

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

61. joeybarrie says:

I do think you are crazy. But its ok, we are all crazy…  Its not that The Canadiens are or have been better. Which we have been… Its not that the last Canadian team to win a Stanley Cup is Montreal. Its not that hockey was born in Montreal.

Its that they report like they are the last ones to win the cup. They report like they have done better and are better. Its because they report like Hockey was born in Toronto.

We don’t hate the Leafs because we have to hate someone. We aren’t war mongers. (and i know you arent calling us war mongers) But there is a reason why one is better than the others. We have more Cups. Simple. We have won more in the last 40 years, and have almost as many cups inthe last 40 than they do at all.

Mostly it has to do with YEARS and YEARS of having only 2 Canadian teams. Englsh vs French. Its not language its identity. It has always been us vs them. This is the TRUE CANADIAN RIVALRY. My dad hated the Leafs, My dad’s dad hated the leafs. My mom’s dad hated the Leafs, My mom’s Dad’s Dad HATED THE LEAFS.

Watching the Montreal Canadiens is always about this one simple story. When I was 12-13 my uncle and his kids came from Nova Scotia. They were originally from Montreal and my dad and I would always watch every Habs game in my grand mothers room. I sat at the end of the bed, my dad sat in the chair, and my Grandma lied in bed. My mom would come in to tell us the Nordiques were winning and how sexy Michel Bergeron was in his suit, just to piss us off. Well this one Habs game in particular we had my Uncle and my dad standing watching the game withmy Grandma in bed and my 2 cousins and i sitting on the bed, with my oldest cousin, who almost made the Canadiens Jr. team, all watching the game. This is one of my best memories. This is the Montreal Canadiens. Everyone I know has a similar story, and many many more.

I know its similar in Toronto. but its simple, I only care about the Habs and Toronto sucks.

And there is a BIG reason why one side is better than the other. Because MY PEOPLE are on the Habs side. Same reason why Tha Habs are the best team in the NHL. Same reason why Montreal is the greatest city in Canada, and the same reason why Canada is the greatest country on the Planet.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

62. Habscore says:

humm.. no johnny

Class, buddy…Class! And don’t forget, Karma is a b**ch.

63. HUDSONHAB says:

I agree, Carter, and lets throw Ryan Parent in for good measure.

Hab4life

64. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Leclaire lets in the 5th goal on the 19th shot. 5-3 Dallas Starts over the Senators in 3rd.

65. boy from school says:

fair enough.

i grew up in montreal and i love the city to death. but the canadiens aren’t canada’s team either. canada has six teams. end of story. tsn has a reporter for every canadian team.

i guess i’m in the minority in that i don’t think one is better than another. i love the canadiens – but its completely arbitrary. it’s like picking your favourite colour. there’s nothing to really justify it.

alot of us say that 24 cups is the reason why the canadiens are the best team. but what happens when (in a long long time) someone overtakes us? do we admit then that the canadiens aren’t the best team?

picking a team on hating on all the others always reminded me of the war-mongering intolerants of old (and present) who justify their wars by saying god is on their side. there’s no reason why one side is better than the other.

that being said, i still cheer intensely for and care deeply about the canadiens. i actually like the leafs alot because they are so much like the canadiens – emblematic, once-proud, deeply rooted, and part of our history. i know alot of you probably think i’m crazy.

but, just had to vent i guess. ;)

66. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Gustavsson is expected to start, no Giguere. But I am with you, never take the Leafs lightly.

67. showey47 says:

our PP has been pretty bad since mab and cammy have been out.

68. hab_skill says:

Thats terrible. Seriously?

69. HUDSONHAB says:

We would get Bruin’s draft picks in 2011. Unless of course they arrange a trade. (NOT LIKELY)

Hab4life

70. Chuck says:

Never bet against a winning streak.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

Or say the word that should never be mentioned when the 3rd period is winding down and your goalie is sitting on a goose egg.

72. Chuck says:

Shutout?

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

Nice way to jinx it!!! ;-)

74. punkster says:

Hemroids?

75. Chuck says:

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

76. crabvader says:

I hope we humiliate the Laffs in their own building.

77. JD_ says:

Wow. Just caught this on the newswire.

I can’t believe how much truthfulness is pouring out from players’ mouths these days. It’s a refreshing change.

—–

March 19, 2010 – CWP (Anaheim) – The fallout from Anaheim Mighty Duck James Wisniewski’s dirty hit on former teammate Brent Seabrook of the Chicago Black Hawks on Wednesday night continues, complete with an escalating war of words involving the coaches and executives on both sides.

Wisniewski, for his part, is having none of it and has come clean on the incident that triggered the whole controversy.

Yeah, I tried to kill Seebs [Seabrook]. I’ve never actually murdered someone but I’ve often thought about how much fun it would be to try and, let me tell you, it was even more of a thrill than I thought it would be,” said Wisniewski during an exclusive interview last night, further adding, “Truth is, if I had followed through with my stick on his throat, I probably could have finished the job. I’ve been reading some pamphlets I found on the internet, you know, about ninjas and stuff, and they talk about crushing the trachea and stuff and I really thought I nailed it. Oh well, next time.”

During his research, Wisniewski noted the effectiveness of the “Dance of the Tiger Claw” technique and looked to adapt it to situations where he’d also be holding a stick. “The hockey stick gets in the way a bit but gives you extra leverage when you go after a guy,” noted Wisniewski, “you know, when you’re looking to seriously injure him or just kill him outright. The stick actually helps. The carbon fibre ones aren’t as deadly as the wood ones, but I have to use the carbon one cause, you know, I’m still supposed to be playing hockey and I shoot better with carbon.”

Seabrook was able to quickly recover from the murder attempt, but remained bewildered at Wisniewski’s behaviour through the whole incident, noting “He [Wisniewski] was all ‘Die! Die! Die!’ when he came at me, his eyes had gone blank and his lower lip was bleeding. I think he bit it.” When asked about Seabrook’s comments, Wisniewski confessed, “Yeah, I was totally out of it. Just before the game, I downed a 40-pounder of wood alcohol in the parking lot and smoked a lot of meth. A lot,” further adding, “When I get in the mood to kill, I need that extra dose of adrenaline to, you know, wake up the dragon.”

I’m hoping the suspension will give me some time to improve my technique. I bought one of those wooden training dummies, you know, the same one used by Bruce Lee. I put a helmet on it and am working on stuff,” said Wisniewski, confidently adding, “I figure I can probably take a couple of guys out before the season ends. So, you’ll want to tune in.”

Tune in, indeed. It goes without saying that everyone’s going to be watching the first Ducks game with James Wisniewski back on the saddle, cause it’s clear he’s going to want to do some more “dancing with his tiger claws”.

Wisniewsky is currently serving an eight-game suspension for the Seabrook hit.

- 40 -

78. smiler2729 says:

I’m thinking that’s probably sarcasm and lots of it – giving the media what they want after deluging Wiesnewski with microphones and un-wanted attention after his mistake.

If not then he’s a psycho.

79. derfab says:

poorly written.

80. lavie says:

Halak and Co. are one of the hottest squads in NHL. 7th straight, 8th straight…

81. joeybarrie says:

Habs and Co. are the hottest squad in the NHL right now. Yes, I’m hoping 8 straight and more…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

82. HabsFanInTampa says:

Am I the only one that cringes every time some sports anchor or talking head refers to the city of Toronto as the “mecca”, “heartbeat” or “center” of hockey?! So effen ridiculous! How did the Hall of Fame end up in Toronto and not Montreal? I’m sure someone’s pockets must have been filled with $$$$. I hate Mopey Laff fans! I hope we destroy their will to live tonight! GO HABS!

The Habs have to win if only to do it on a Saturday night when the whole nation is watching, and to rub more salt into the wound that is the TO-centricism of a HNIC broadcast.

84. lavie says:

Foundation
    of modern hockey

While the game’s origins may lie elsewhere, Montreal is at the centre
    of the development of the modern sport of ice hockey. On March 3, 1875
    the first organized indoor game was
    played at Montreal’s Victoria
    Skating Rink
    between two sides of nine-player teams including James Creighton and several McGill University students. This game featured the use
    of a puck to keep it within the rink; the goals were goal posts 6
    feet apart, and the game was 60 minutes.

In 1877, several McGill students, including Creighton, Henry Joseph,
    Richard F. Smith, W. F. Robertson, and W. L. Murray codified seven ice
    hockey rules, based on the rules of field hockey. The first ice hockey
    club, McGill University Hockey Club, was founded in 1877[9]
    followed by the Montreal Victorias, organized in 1881.[10]

… from Wiki…

Toronto, by far, can be called Medina.

85. punkster says:

Well given the size of the population in and around Toronto, the popularity of the sport there and the continued (years and years) media focus on the Leafs it really isn’t surprising. I don’t begrudge them being a centre of attention. I just don’t care about the Leafs at all. I used to care. I grew up caring about every move they made, every game they played, every playoffs they missed or lost. Then I saw the light!

86. joeybarrie says:

This is insulting to us. It’s true. The Leafs suck. Given the amount of time they have been in the league, not having won a Cup in 43-44 years is ridiculous. But then again. What else can you say about Toronto. The media can;t say the city suck, and so doe the hockey and its fans…

One day they will wake up and realize where the heartbeat of hockey is. And Montreal is not the Mecca of Hockey. Mecca is the MONTREAL of Holy Lands….

Am I suprised the media (especially in the USA) is either lost or dont care about the accuracy of their reports?????? No I am not suprised. I heard the other day here in Wash DC that Curling is the national sport of Canada, from a DJ who is himself originally from Canada. I had to call in and tell him the national sport is Hockey and Lacrosse, and that he should call Mike Green and ask him…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

87. TomNickle says:

They can have the Hall and we’ll keep the Cups, they’ll never touch that.  They can keep the ACC and their wall of fame.  We have a shrine that is rivaled in sport only by the New York Yankees and Green Bay Packers.  Toronto is to hockey what Boston is to baseball, what the Knicks are to Basketball and what Chicago is to Football, second place.  We are what the Yankees are to baseball, the Lakers are to basketball and the Steelers are to football, first place.

88. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

GO HALAK GO! Go Habs Go!

Hoping my man Andrei Kostitsyn will do some magic!

89. Psycho29 says:

Is it me or does AK look like he’s skating in quicksand tonight?

Let’s hope for a big 3rd period from the boys!!!!

90. blakep says:

hablaw

lets go HALAK!!  Montreal has a chance to really make a move in the standings in the next 3 games.  GO HABS GO!!

91. avatar_58 says:

God I hate this Toronto crap. Can the habs just beat them so we don’t have to hear about it? As if this game even means anything – win and you are STILL in 2nd last. So really – get over yourselves. I hope Halak shuts the damn door on this team.

92. lavie says:

Coyotes have 7th straight.

93. joeybarrie says:

Doesnt matter. They cannot be the hottest, because The Canadiens are.. SO SHUT YOUR FACE…..I guess I should have actually looked at the West before i said anything huh???

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

94. light_n_tasty says:

……………

95. slapshot777 says:

Watching the game on CBC, if you didn’t know any better you would swear that the two teams were reversed in the standings. Love that goal in the last minute. I know we took a penalty for it, but love the way how Gomez retaliated with an elbow after taking a elbow to begin with from Phaneuf. Problem with Phaneuf is he can dish out the hits but can’t take a hit.

I just loved how O’Byrne belted Phaneuf in the corner, he didn’t take it to well.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.