Halak, Moen, Lapierre in; Darche, Metro sit

Canadiens’ Travis Moen speaks to media on Thursday. Marco Campanozzi, The Gazette

Goaltender Jaroslav Halak is back in the Canadiens net tonight against the Florida Panthers, despite Carey Price’s superb performance against the Sabres in Buffalo last nght.

Coach Jacques Martin said that Price, who played a sprited game of indoor soccer with teammates Brian Gionta, Hal Gill, Glen Metropolit and Josh Gorges this morning when the Habs cancelled their morning skate, is in a good frame of mind after a meeting he had with the hard-luck netminder.

Travis Moen returns to the lineup after a one-game absence, wearing a visor to protect a gruesome cut around his left eye from Monday night that took about 50 stitches to close. RDS additionally was reporting that Glen Metropolit and Mathieu Darche would be healthy scratches, with Maxim Lapierre emerging from his one-game doghouse to rejoin the lineup

1. SLONCOLD says:

Desjardins = ahl goalie

could he be a nhl starter, maybe only time will tell…. i’ll tell u the french population will become Desjardins fans though if price has 2 bad games in a 80 game stretch lol

2. SlovakHab says:

I don’t know what you’re talking about here. In any case, I am neither a Halak fan or a Price fan, I’m a Habs fan and once again – I don’t care who our starter is, I just want the Habs win. If we traded Subban and Pacioretty for M. Garon and he won the Cup for us, I’d be happy

The argument was factual rather than general and I just wanted to show the poster above me that the logic he’s following is easy to falter if put into a different perspective. Nothing more, nothing less.

3. Xtrahabsfan says:

My name is K-hab25 and I am a Carey Price teabagger and any one who disagrees with me on a sports blog or in anything is a bully,whaaaaaa whaaaaa whaaaaaa…Oh by the way  I am also a DOUCHEBAG ,Whaaaaa…………………

4. K-hab25 says:

As I always say the biggest difference between a Halak fan and a Price fan, is if they traded Price his fans would be Halak fans, but if they traded Halak his fans would become Desjardins fans. Or whomever the other guy is. We like Price because of Price. There are many Halak fans who are Halak fans because he’s not Price. They have this weird hatred of the guy. Not that they’re all that way, the majority just really like Halak, but I’d say 30 to 40 % just would cheer for whomever is opposite of Price.

5. mike g says:

You want to talk about a real “Mr. Potential”?

John Tavares, NYI 1st OVERALL pick last year. Expected to be the next Sidney Crosby, has been compared to him non stop for over three years now….Over 150 points in the OHL, just like Crosby in the QMJHL….

Well, Mr. Tavares went through a slump this year my friend….A very bad one…:

0 goals in 17 games, and at one point he had 2 goals in 34 games….

That’s right, 1st OVERALL pick, with a ton of “pedigree”. The Islanders sold out their arena when they drafted him, just so they could drop confetti and party because hockey was apparently back on Long Island….Well, if you were an Islander fan, you probably would have murdered Tavares by now.

But hey, you “know hockey”…You know that once a high draft pick is in the NHL, that guy better perform up to his potential IMMEDIATELY, or else he should be crucified by all. Especially if they are around the ripe ages of 18-24.

Because everybody is a seasoned veteran and fully developed during their rookie years…..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

6. K-hab25 says:

OOhhhh, the internet tough guy. You’re a joke, wife beat you up again. They’re people who you can call, xtra vaginal itch, that will help. Please call!! :-)

7. Gormdog says:

Right on the money. Bugs only has one technique for “knocking down other peoples points”.

It’s called reductio absurdo. Almost aptly named when it comes down to it. His post up there highlights exactly how he’ll strip an argument down, the build it back up by putting words in other peoples mouths based on the most extreme analysis possible.

It’s quite something, but hey, gotta do something to keep his blog relevant, right?

8. mike g says:

LOLOL….

“You don’t know hockey” is so classic , you’re right Bugs…

But what about “Oh yeah” and “Case and point”…Those are so classic too, and you (Dr. Always Correct) just used them…That’s because they are normal words, put together to form a normal english sentence…Nothing classic about them lol…

And I said “You don’t know hockey”, because you don’t. You blame Price for not winning us the game last night. What about Gomez who missed the empty net 5 minutes into the game? Would have been 2-0 for Habs really early….What about our invisible PP once again? What about our team basically letting the Sabres walk in and do whatever they wanted without fighting back in the last 4 minutes?

Oh that’s right, it was Price in nets so let’s blame him! Let’s blame him for not freezing time, whispering to Hamrlik or Cammalleri to clear the rebound (after he makes the initial save screened, with 3 Sabres players infront of him), and then un-freezing time. Miracles, basically…. is that what you want?

If you don’t understand that a goaltenders job is to make the initial save and have his defenseman clear the net, you don’t know anything about hockey…If you don’t understand that Price did that and 3 Sabres players, not 1, 3 were waiting to either take a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th rebound and score, you don’t know anything about hockey. Even if Price makes a “miracle” rebound save, 3 Sabres were there all alone, unwatched, to pounce on an opened net…..

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

One of the billions of people that know hockey more than you do.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

9. Gormdog says:

As I said Bugs, case and point. More grasping, more straws. And I love the fact that you can never walk away unless you think you have won, leads to more grasping, more straws. An entertaining read but a troll is a troll is a troll is a troll. You just look better than most doing it.

To answer your post further down, Bugsy – You’re delusional if you think you don’t talk down to others left right and centre. I’m not about search through the annals of HIO but i distinctly remember a you defending “your boy poulio” with a whole boatload of virtrol for whomever said he has dissapeared since the Olympics, as well as looking down your nose to people, for a mere example, by answering a post that disagrees with you by solely talking about typos and questioning their intelligence.

Pick out a typo of mine! That’ll show me!

I like you Bugs, you have some strong and well written opinions. Just don’t pretend that you don’t talk down to posters on HIO. You use a superior tone and have fun posting from your pedastle. I am curious to know if your denial of such a fact is due to dissillusionment, or just some “funky” persona you are trying to keep relevant to grab more hits for your blog.

10. spoonfullofjelly says:

This is a good post, however, I do agree with your comment about one more save. But I think at times , especially on this site, people forget to mention missed opportunities…..We talk about if’s all the time with goalies….What about if Gomez had potted that puck from Gionta into the wide open cage? I think that is a more tangible if.

Either way, nice post.

11. jimmy shaker says:

Thought he was called up when Pleks was iffy last week vs the rangers…..Not sure if he was ever sent down after that.  I don’t think he was.

Shaker

12. SlovakHab says:

If Cedric Desjardins wins Calder Cup this season – is he a new Carey Price and hence both CP and JH should be traded away because Cedric won in AHL and it makes him our new starter and a future superstar?

What’s harder to do: Win a WJC with Team Canada or be fourth in the Olympics with Team Slovakia?

13. jimmy shaker says:

Yes I’ve watched him play and getting him a more regular shift than the token minutes he gets on the fourth line will keep him more in the game and that much more sharp when the PP comes a callin.  Now if you, haven’t watched Hammer, Spacek and Gill of late, that is probably why you made that reply.  Gill, Hammer and Spacek are getting up there in age and are basically slow.  Hammer sucked, (just like Tommyknickle spouted off about last night) like I never saw him suck before last night. (and if I were JM, he’d be the odd man out for tonight’s game)  So, with MAB taking some minutes from those guys, it not only helps MAB, but it helps those guys keep their legs and stamina more by playing less minutes but playing less minutes more effectively.  Now to the forward issue.  Sure don’t give poully the extra shifts but there are 9 other guys JM could double shift with Darch and Metro and make that line very dangerous as a trio.  Also the double shifting will help Cammy get back into game shape with the extra minutes, same for AK46….both guys have missed alot of hockey this year.  So, while we all know MAB has his shortcomings in the defensive zone, I’m willing to take that chance, hell Hammer hasn’t looked good in our zone at times, same as Spacek, or Gill and obyrne getting beat to the outside every once in a while, or gorges getting caught flat footed last time they played florida, or Markov with his high risk pinching (which I like) but sometimes gets himself caught resulting in an odd man rush the other way.  So you see, all our D-men have there shortcomings, but with JM using 7 D, I think those shortcomings become less and less evident.

Shaker

14. Xtrahabsfan says:

K-hab25,well well now that you let the cat out of the bag that you are a goof and like to try and belittle people  who come in all shapes and sizes, may I suggest you go f**k yourself if your not already,lol

15. Kooch7800 says:

yuppers

16. twocents says:

Weird, wacky stuff, indeed.

Nice job on the hunch.

17. Bugs says:

Careful, LT.

That can only mean “you don’t know hockey” either.

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

L.B. Potter, esq. First Bugler of the St-Habberson’s Club Red Brigade and Head Coachman to the President of Habsbros Flannel-weaving Services: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

18. K-hab25 says:

Suprise the president of the Price Hate Club agree’s.

19. Bugs says:

Careful, Gee.

You’re gonna be accused of “not knowing hockey”.

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

20. Habscore says:

Holy Friggin’ Ouch!!! Moen!

His left eye got really lucky there :S

21. JD_ says:

Out of curiosity, I just went to check out Marty Feldman’s wikipedia page.

If you ever read MAD magazine – and my gut tells me you probably did – you might appreciate that Sergio Aragones takes credit for inadvertently killing Feldman.

That is some weird, wild stuff.

22. K-hab25 says:

Really poorest performers in the league, hate Price much. His GAA that you say is sooo awful is equal to Hiller, Ward, and Turco. It’s better than Mason, Smith and any goaltenders on ATL, PHI or the NYI. His SV% is better than Niemi (who’s #2 overall in GAA) Fleury, Rinne, Quick, Huet, and Backstrom. All of these guys are there teams #1 goaltenders. His SV% is 19th in the league at .912%, just behind Ward .913%, Brodeur .914% and Luongo .915%. I’m sure these 3 suck aswell. Maybe you should stick to cycling, because you obviously know nothing about hockey. Oh do yourself a favor and try eating a carrot or something.

23. Bugs says:

“Being owed”. And “You OWE me.” And “Bugs is OWED by the Kid.” Yes. I said that, right? Yes, those are the words I used and are not being ENTIRELY fabricated to replace the words I actually DID say, right? Read what I said properly, Gorm. Thanks.

As for Simpleton Jack, which part? The part where he thinks he knows me or the part where he uses the classic “You don’t know hockey” weakness to validate HIS position?

Oh yeah, total dismantling.

Maybe I shoulda answered “No, YOU don’t know hockey.” And then, HE woulda been dismantled, right? Sure, that’s how that works.

Case and point indeed. Nicely done, mate.

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

24. keepthefaith says:

That post says it all bed bug. You only hear what you want to hear.  Ever watch that movie Shrek.  What was that little guys name Lord something or other.  That is all i can think of when reading your posts.  Have a great day little guy.

25. habsgod says:

yeah and he hasn’t won anything either ,at least he hasn’t won what price won in junior and in the ahl

26. twocents says:

It’s a good one, but too political for Prince.

27. SLONCOLD says:

and maybe only one was with a french reading coach lol

28. SLONCOLD says:

“Price’s is to make the 1st save” not to stir up shiat but when halak gives up rebounds in the slot people are all over him. but ya defense men have to clear pucks i know i appreciate when my guys do that for me.

29. Bugs says:

No. I don’t see it, Gorm. I ridicule the ridiculous, that’s all. I never denigrate or consider anyone inferior. Total bullspit, that.

Provide proof,please. If I do it ”all day long”, you should have no problem locating any.

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

30. JD_ says:

It’s an old Marty Feldman quip that’s been stuck in the back of my craw for years.

That or it’s an obscure Prince tune.

31. SLONCOLD says:

ya that’s cause he only plays weak teams lol (kidding)

32. Bugs says:

That’s a heck of a bee in your bonnet with the superior thing. Never said anything about being superior; but I have noticed how those with INFERIORITY complexes do tend to get riled up around me. That’s not my fault, Faith. Has nothing to do with me.

A zillion? Wow, that’s a lot. So what Stubby says is the Truth of All Things Hockey, yes? And if he says that those who blame the Kid for the loss don’t know hockey (even though I didn’t; I blame him for not winning), then that’s what it is and not puerile bullspit, right? Of course. How convenient for Stubby, that.

So why isn’t he the only one writing articles? He should be the only one, right? We don’t need anyone else if we already got this guy writing the Truth of All Things Hockey, right? Uh-huh. Right.

So if I say that I should like our num5 Pedigree Prospect to now be accountable for his num5 Pedigree Prospect status after three years in the NHL, I don’t know hockey?

If I say that the Kid had TWO chances to shut the door with some impossible magic like Roy and Brodeur and Fleury and Miller and hell, even Halak manage to do to SAVE the GAME and muffed it, I don’t know hockey?

When I say that winners find ways to win, I don’t know hockey?

I dunno… You might be right, Faith, but that sounds like total “my-way-or-you’re-stupid” puerile garbage to me. With zillion less “knowledge” and all.

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

33. SLONCOLD says:

indeed lol

34. G-Man says:

Price is #2 on the depth chart. He will remain there until he begins winning, irregardless of circumstances. His W-L record this season is abysmal, no matter how “great” he’s played.

35. Gormdog says:

Aw cmon Bugs… how do you expect to be taken seriously? You look down your nose and denigrate all day long, at least, on HIO… You do see this, right?!?

Whenever you disagree with someone, you deface them, and make fools of them (or attempt to), and mock their knowledge.

When it’s turned around on you, oh, no, don’t denigrate, educate!

(You, sir, are the epitome of hilarity. A troll with lipstick on it still lives under a bridge!)

36. twocents says:

A break? Isn’t this a no free ride zone?

37. G-Man says:

The team AND Price lost. Happy now?

Bugs is right. We should expect more from “Mr. Potential.”

38. twocents says:

*big chuckle* Ah Marty, now there’s a face only a mother could love.

Okay, JD, you’ve done it again. Aside from making me laugh, what is the pertinence of the quote in your post?

39. Xtrahabsfan says:

A very nice  analogy of the situation big-man …right on the mark!

40. 100HABS says:

Ben Maxwell?? Isn’t he in Hamilton?

41. G-Man says:

Frankly, Halak has been demonstrating for 3 seasons that he should be the #1 goalie. He is not flash in the pan and not some mirage called “potential.” He’s played bleeping well and deserves some respect.

42. JD_ says:

That’s what cut this guy‘s hockey career short.

Good thing he had that acting gig to fall back on.

“Money can’t buy poverty.”

43. SlovakHab says:

Could be.. But just for your information: Halak has never had a losing record in his career. Never.

Check it here, for example: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=72667

This is what I worry about the most. We trade Halak away and CP will remain as we know him now.

44. G-Man says:

Give Richard Gere a break, will ya? What the bleep does he know about hockey? :)

45. wd40 says:

good point!

46. light_n_tasty says:

Oh man, Bugs.  People are full of hate for you all-o-a-sudden.  The truth hurts, I suppose.  Yah, Price played great. But I wanna win.  I would take a win where Halak played average over a loss where Price played great any day of the week.  As I said before, Price may not be the problem, but Halak is the solution.

But don’t lose faith.  Shmoe may still turn into Star.  He’s got time.

47. twocents says:

Or .05 cents worth of it retailing for $80. ;o)

48. SLONCOLD says:

it’s also amazing what 80$ of plastic can do…

49. light_n_tasty says:

Second goal on Miller was weak.

50. keepthefaith says:

I am not here to educate, Monsieur bed bug, however i am just here to let you know you and your dictionary are not the final word, are not OWED anything, and are not superior to those who cant spell.

You are the kind of dude that only hears what he want s to hear. Step down off the pedastal that in your mind you are standing on.  You know  a zillion times less about hockey than my man Stubby.

Price did save the game last night.  The team blew it.

L.B.B. Potter, sq. First turd burglar of the St.-Habberson s Dictionary Reading Club and Head Coachmen to the President of thinking I am the greatest and smartest of all time.

51. Gormdog says:

Proper side of the opinion that you are owed nothing by Carey Price and the Canadiens?

No contest there.

Proper side of the opinion that you had nothing to say in face of in the dismatling handed down by simple jack?

Case and point.

52. Bugs says:

Tavares in his first year is the same as the Kid in his third? Really?

Huh. Ok. In that case, if you go back to the KID’S first year, you’ll see I was the best apologist out there. I had my boy’s back. He could do no wrong. After all, it was his first year.

But please get back to me in Tavares’s third year and we’ll see where we’re at.

How’s that sound?

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

53. twocents says:

It gives you an appreciation for the shape of the human skull though. The old brow and cheekbone do their work in some circumstances.

If we all had fishy eyes, he’d be out of luck.

54. Jeff says:

Halak & Price are both good goalies, going forward do you think the Habs are going to carry both?

At the deadline, there were some teams that would consider a trade especially with inconsistent goaltending.

It’s a simple thing, pick up the phone and ask, suggest, cajole….

A power forward with size could have come back, Chicago for instance….

Do you think the Habs would be on the bubble IF a trade was made?  As I thought!

55. bigbighabsfan says:

I thought last night was a good time to get Price a start and that he played quite well. I would reserve the word “superb” for a shutout, in which case I would only have had one opportunity to use it in 2 seasons. He played well enough that it should be a boost to his confidence and I doubt he is blaming himself for the team’s collapse at the end. But of course you have to go back to Halak tonight. He also played well in his two recent losses, and had a similar result, though certain superlatives are reserved by some for poor old hard-luck Carey. That was a tough way for him to lose last night, no doubt, but if he had made one more save it’s a different conversation. That’s how it goes. That’s the difference between winning and losing, being good or being superb. Nice start Carey, you helped get them a big point, now get the number one goalie back in there. The points are too precious to take too many chances with a goalie who has been one of the handful of poorest performers in the league this season. I know, it’s just hard luck. Deflections. Traffic. Here’s a bulletin… most goals in the NHL are a result of traffic and/or deflections. Price just lets more of them get by him than most other goalies. I don’t have any evidence for this but I suspect he lets in more easy goals than most do as well. His GAA isnt in the top 30. He’s 13-24, a remarkable statistic on a roughly .500 team. He was 23-26 last year with similar statistics. So the whole poor Carey can’t buy a break thing is bulls*it. Reminds me of when Higgins was “snakebit” for two years.

Future may well be bright for Price, may not either, but right now it’s time to put a lock on a playoff spot. The odds and common sense dictate that Halak gives them a much better chance to do that at the moment. Starting him tonight should go without saying.