Halak, Moen, Lapierre in; Darche, Metro sit

Canadiens’ Travis Moen speaks to media on Thursday. Marco Campanozzi, The Gazette

Goaltender Jaroslav Halak is back in the Canadiens net tonight against the Florida Panthers, despite Carey Price’s superb performance against the Sabres in Buffalo last nght.

Coach Jacques Martin said that Price, who played a sprited game of indoor soccer with teammates Brian Gionta, Hal Gill, Glen Metropolit and Josh Gorges this morning when the Habs cancelled their morning skate, is in a good frame of mind after a meeting he had with the hard-luck netminder.

Travis Moen returns to the lineup after a one-game absence, wearing a visor to protect a gruesome cut around his left eye from Monday night that took about 50 stitches to close. RDS additionally was reporting that Glen Metropolit and Mathieu Darche would be healthy scratches, with Maxim Lapierre emerging from his one-game doghouse to rejoin the lineup

1. twocents says:

It gives you an appreciation for the shape of the human skull though. The old brow and cheekbone do their work in some circumstances.

If we all had fishy eyes, he’d be out of luck.

2. Jeff says:

Halak & Price are both good goalies, going forward do you think the Habs are going to carry both?

At the deadline, there were some teams that would consider a trade especially with inconsistent goaltending.

It’s a simple thing, pick up the phone and ask, suggest, cajole….

A power forward with size could have come back, Chicago for instance….

Do you think the Habs would be on the bubble IF a trade was made?  As I thought!

3. bigbighabsfan says:

I thought last night was a good time to get Price a start and that he played quite well. I would reserve the word “superb” for a shutout, in which case I would only have had one opportunity to use it in 2 seasons. He played well enough that it should be a boost to his confidence and I doubt he is blaming himself for the team’s collapse at the end. But of course you have to go back to Halak tonight. He also played well in his two recent losses, and had a similar result, though certain superlatives are reserved by some for poor old hard-luck Carey. That was a tough way for him to lose last night, no doubt, but if he had made one more save it’s a different conversation. That’s how it goes. That’s the difference between winning and losing, being good or being superb. Nice start Carey, you helped get them a big point, now get the number one goalie back in there. The points are too precious to take too many chances with a goalie who has been one of the handful of poorest performers in the league this season. I know, it’s just hard luck. Deflections. Traffic. Here’s a bulletin… most goals in the NHL are a result of traffic and/or deflections. Price just lets more of them get by him than most other goalies. I don’t have any evidence for this but I suspect he lets in more easy goals than most do as well. His GAA isnt in the top 30. He’s 13-24, a remarkable statistic on a roughly .500 team. He was 23-26 last year with similar statistics. So the whole poor Carey can’t buy a break thing is bulls*it. Reminds me of when Higgins was “snakebit” for two years.

Future may well be bright for Price, may not either, but right now it’s time to put a lock on a playoff spot. The odds and common sense dictate that Halak gives them a much better chance to do that at the moment. Starting him tonight should go without saying.

4. SLONCOLD says:

don’t number ones usually play more than 1 a month?

5. Vancouver Hab Fan says:

That is just a dumb statement. Maybe you missed the game last night as well as his other starts. Maybe you missed the defence playing like 6 year olds in front of him for the last 3 minutes not to mention too many of his games.

6. SLONCOLD says:

not the smartest though, way to protect your eyes moen….. gezzz he was lucky not to lose an eye

7. Chuck says:

All I can say is that it’s a good thing that he had already appeared on Corner Gas.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

8. Bugs says:

That’s right. That’s what I do.

You’ve certainly pegged my character, Flaba.

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

L.B. Potter, esq. First Bugler of the St-Habberson’s Club Red Brigade and Head Coachman to the President of Habsbros Flannel-weaving Services: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

9. Bugs says:

How convenient that you’re on the proper side of the opinion then, Gorm.

And now, I’m gonna turn it around and spin it and call you peasants. Yep. You know me so well; that’s what I do.

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

10. Bugs says:

But whoever DOESN’T want accountability from the Kid DOES know hockey, right?

Pff. What a load of puerile sh*te.

Only people who don’t hockey are those who accuse others of not knowing hockey, Stubby included. It’s the way out of the weak. “If you don’t see it my way, you don’t know hockey.” What utter nonsense.

If you’re so smart, educate; don’t denigrate.

Cuz those are the people who “think they’re superior”, Faith, by supposing they don’t have the specific “faults” they accuse others of having. Total weakness.

I want some game-saving magic from my num5 Pedigree Prospect, please. After three years, it’s not too much to ask. That’s not blaming him for the loss; that’s wanting him to pull off some friggin miracles once in a friggin while as you would expect a Pedigree Prospect to do.

And not rely on your 271th Pick to do.

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

11. G-Man says:

MAB can’t play D. Haven’t you watched him play? On D, he stinks…big time. Double shifting Pouliot isn’t that good an idea, either. His puck decisions lately haven’t been very good.

12. Flabadagub says:

Good. The only way Bugs puts himself up; is by putting other people down.

13. twocents says:

They raise hardier stuff than just wheat and barley in Saskatchewan!

14. nHL80 says:

wow that FIFA ad really creeps up on ya….especially with your speakers on.

15. ken says:

Size is for the most part irrelevant.  Skill is what wins Cups.

16. Gormdog says:

Honestly, what a burn. Bugs is normally oh so swift to whip out a thesaurus and try and turn someone’s argument around…

But you left him no room. 100% right about Bugs being owed absolutely nothing (who will now use some nonsensical logic and languague to say that’s not what he REALLY meant and if us peasents could read we would see the wisdom of his ways)

Been reading your posts, for years, and mostly in silence Bugs… Great writer, but many a piss poor idea delivered in a tone that i used to find just superior but now it’s just you… Bitching

17. twocents says:

The Habs won by a 5 goal margin once last year. In the second game of the season against tarranna. They have one victory by that margin this season too, except it was actually 6-0 against the Rags in January.

Any other exposition theories?

18. I_SAY_FIGHT says:

i dont know usually backups play easy teams not one of the top 3 in the east …usually backups play easy teams like florida and backups usually win against teams like Toronto
    we have 2 good goalies lets leave it at that

19. pablojinko says:

That’s why I’ve been saying that I wouldn’t be surprised if they trade Halak… Actually we don’t know if Halak is going to be a one hit wonder… personally I think he’s playing at his top, he’s a solid goalie who’s having an amazing season, but I can’t put my foot down and say he will be this great in the long term, so if the Habs can get something big in return, I’m sure Gauthier will think about it…

20. jimmy shaker says:

Finally, the lineup we’ve waited for all year….If JM had any sense now, he would play 7 D and 11 forwards.  MAB, rotating on the D pairings.  Only Markov, O’Byrne and Gorges take regular shifts, with hammer, spacek, gill and MAB rotating shifts.  And Cammy, AK46, Gio, and Poully can double shift with Metro and Darche.  I know JM won’t do it because he doesn’t think outside the box, but this setup/formation would be very beneficial for the team.  Sorry pyatt, but I think your going to join laps in the presser tonight.  But you did play very well last night.  C’mon Jaro, big 2pts tonight please! (no slags to price from this take being implied)

Cheers,

Shaker

21. Xtrahabsfan says:

Carey Price played great last night but Ryan Miller was the DOPE! MAYBE ONE DAY,Price will be a game changer but at this time and place he lacks the finishing touch that separates he from the GREATS.Once again size has been a issue and anyone who thinks it isn’t is obviously under 5’11”,lol….This is the N.H.L. people,GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
    Jaro Halak ,go get us 2 points tonight buddy and Coach Martin start using your time outs WHEN NEEDED BOZO….GO HABS GO……………

22. mrhabby says:

back to back games thats why price is not playing. that being said he could have played and likely we win. I hate to really speculate on what is going to happen. but something will happen. we cannot afford to keep them both so one has to go. either way the organization will be throughly trashed by the media, fans etc,etc.

23. matraque says:

The season clearly showed that Halak was the no 1 and Price the backup.  Price played yesterday… I mean that is what backups do.. play once in a while.

——

Komisarek: 0 – 4 – 4 (-9)

24. pmaraw says:

i dont remember the 5 goal wins from last year…  i remember bottoming out after the all star game

25. kmachabs27 says:

ya ur right it damn sucks alot…..but it wasnt all about halak and price…..just gotta move on it happens we cant thrive on it.

26. keepthefaith says:

Thank you Mike G, Thank you!! Couldnt have said it better myself.  The most annoying thing is the way he think s he is superior to anyone else on here because he types with a dictionary beside him.

Stubbs twitter said it best.  whoever blames Price for this loss know s NOTHING about hockey. And yes Lord bed bugs, blaming him for not winning is the same thing.

27. ken says:

No idea how you can say Gauthier lost a great opportunity at the deadline when you have NO idea if he had any appropriate offers.  To trade for the sake of trading makes no sense.  You are assuming that any offer from other GMs would benefit Montreal.

28. mike g says:

Yup, read it this morning…

Eric Engles is one of the few Habs journalists that I respect. His opinions are not biased.

Too bad he’s on a frauds’ rumor site.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

29. Jeff says:

The kid can only take so much, his reaction last nite looked very similar to Roy’s towards Tremblay.

Enough is enough, Halak is proving quite capable and there can be only one # 1!

Why Price is not playing tonite is incomprehensible, he played great last nite.  WHY?

Whomever is sending him a clear message (aside from Bugsy’s demands for miracle saves & such) to play like a superstar at 22 or you sit.

Carey’s response will be abundantly clear come Spring.

30. keepthefaith says:

The only problem Gauithier will have is other GM s lowballing him on Price. He would be stupid to trade him after this year.  Halak s value will be the highest it is going to be ever.

31. mrhabby says:

have we not beat this to a pulp already…lets just wait and see what happens over the next several months.

32. hab lifer says:

you’re right Price isn’t a backup NHL goalie. he’s an AHL goalie at best.

33. kmachabs27 says:

EVERYBODY READ THE BELOW ARTICLE ON HOCKEYBUZZ, its the truth.

34. mike g says:

I really hope whoever is at the phone booth tonight will give Moen a big round of applause….

The guy deserves it, his face looks like a baseball….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

35. mrhabby says:

so i guess were not going to speculate what happens in the summer with CP. summer not far off.

36. hab lifer says:

yes he has great intensity, great maturity, never makes faces,never nonchalant, always gives 100% at workouts, and has nevef had any conflicts with a team member. oh yes I forgot the most important thing, he wins every game and never loses, and that’s why he plays so infrequently.

37. mike g says:

WOW….

I don’t know what is more annoying:

-Your really annoying way of trying to be cool by spelling words differently

or

-Your lack of hockey knowledge.

I think it’s a tie. You’re mad because Price didn’t win, not because he lost. Well, that’s just a crock of bull, and you’re trying to sound sneaky and tricky by saying that. It’s the same fruckin thing, losing and not winning is the same. They are both not wins.

And btw, it’s not Price who didn’t win. The HABS didn’t win. You try to make fun of me and say I know nothing about hockey because I have Simple Jack as my picture, but even I know hockey’s a team game.

LMAO…and who is “BUGS” ? Who are you to be owed accountability. Please buddy, enough. He’s 22. You want accountability, ask someone for Hamrlik’s phone number. Call him, a 35 year old veteran, and ask him why he dosn’t clear rebounds. That’s his job, Price’s is to make the 1st save. Price did his job, Hammer didn’t. That’s accountability…..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

38. Jeff says:

OOPS!

The Habs certainly had the 2 points in their pockets and then….well..

Price played a very good game, deserved better. He will play out his contract as an RFA or request a trade.

His future in Montreal is dim.  Gauthier has a problem, lost a great opportunity at the deadline.

Buffalo is not a good team, it is MILLER time, he is the only reason for their success.

Come the playoffs as in the Olympics, he will play great then the Sabres ultimately lose.

My point is that Price had the 2 points and the team lost it, JM aside. It could have been a blowout!

Anyway, my call was almost right on last nite, close game in OT, well tonite it’s a win for the Habs 3-1!

Maybe????

Try to enjoy good hockey here on in, the playoffs are possible but we all know their ultimate fate.

39. Bugs says:

Hope not either.

Kid’s got what it takes.

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

40. homerbowen says:

Geez I woke up this morning feeling just as bad as when I went to bed last night. I thought the valium would help but no luck there!

Our goaltending is fine just stop all the nonsense as to who is the best because they are both great. It was goal scoring that hurt us last night along with panic.

41. mrhabby says:

you going to have to wait a little longer and ya may see him in another uniform…hope not.

42. I_SAY_FIGHT says:

Thanks good article!

43. Psycho29 says:

and I think Toe Blake and Dick Irvin Sr could say a few words in French so technically they were “French speaking” also…

44. Bugs says:

Well then, you’re who I write for, I reckon.

As for the goalies, I honestly don’t know.

I don’t wanna lose the Kid. I don’t know what’s gonna happen. Afraid to speculate.

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

45. Bugs says:

I’m not blaming him for losing.

I’m blaming him for not winning.

Could someone please inform Mr.Engels that The Priceberg is a Pedigree num5 overall pick with Sterling All-Star Canada accomplishments that’s been in the NHL for three years now and not Little Joe Shmoe fresh off the farm?

Thanks.

Cuz I want some accountability now. Pedigree accountability.

Impossible magic save with the sun in your eyes while your own teammates are hacking you in the mask?

Do it.

If that’s what it takes.

Pedigree Num5 or Joe Shmoe? Which is it?

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

46. matraque says:

LOL.  Can we get rid of this guy please?  He’s being ridiculous.  The best coach montreal had, Scotty Bowman, speaks fluent french.  If you want to use history, use it properly.

——

Komisarek: 0 – 4 – 4 (-9)

47. Vancouver Hab Fan says:

Price isn’t a back up. JM is ruining Price’s career because JM is an idiot!

Great coaching at the close of last night’s game, nice use of a timeout after the first goal!

48. Habsrule1 says:

Cheers Bugs….not meaning to kiss your ass, but your posts are probably the biggest reason I still stop by here every now & then. You have a very rare knack for making your posts a blast to read whether they’re positive, negative (doesn’t happen much), or in between.

What’s your take on where we’ll be with the goaltender situation next season?

Go Habs Go!! “I don’t have a copy of Georges’ code, I don’t know what it is,”. “I think the code is that you’re here for your teammates. It’s not your code, it’s our code.” – Bob Gainey

49. Vancouver Hab Fan says:

JM sucks as a coach and it would be well worth missing the playoffs if it would guarantee his being fired. The guy makes me want to stop watching the team as well as jump through my TV and ring is neck.

I believe the vision is to promote Boucher from Hamitlon to be the next head coach of the Habs and if they keep Martin around for more than next year they may not get the chance as some other team will probably pursue him. So hopefully JM can be shown the door really soon, for Saturday would be great!

50. SLONCOLD says:

agreed, i think you should have a defensive minded unit on.

51. mrhabby says:

christ i can’t stand it when some one makes that statement. just like when he said halak would be traded before the deadline. management skills 101 boivin hello???

52. Bugs says:

Funny!

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

53. I_SAY_FIGHT says:

lucky guy almost got him in the eye, boy I hope he starts wearing a visor

54. Bugs says:

Why can’t I sound as reasonable as you, Ruler?

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

55. twocents says:

Coming from someone in the employ of the prestigious Habsbros, I’ll consider that the ultimate compliment on the matter.

56. habs03 says:

Boy do I love Moen, look at his face and he only missed 1 game.

-http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hockey/201003/25/01-4264189-moen-de-retour-halak-devant-le-filet.php?utm_categorieinterne=trafficdrivers&utm_contenuinterne=cyberpresse_aujourdhui-sur-cyberpresse_267_accueil_ECRAN1POS1

57. mrhabby says:

thats was always Jackies problem. he had all the players  up front but no keeper so for sure many cups if he had a great goaler there.

58. Psycho29 says:

And don’t forget 1969: Claude Ruel

59. smiler2729 says:

Yeah, Patrick Lalime was soooooo soft vs. Toronto in those Playoff battles.

60. Bugs says:

Your detective work always amazes me, Deuce. Astounding, sir!

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

61. lavie says:

…Jack Marty is a great coach…  ! or ?

62. Say Ash says:

Deb: What are you drawing?
    Napoleon Dynamite: A liger.
    Deb: What’s a liger?
    Napoleon Dynamite: It’s pretty much my favorite animal. It’s like a lion and a tiger mixed… bred for its skills in magic.

63. twocents says:

What gave it away? The season ending injury or the one year contract and the looming cap crunch?

64. Habsrule1 says:

Actually, if you want to look at reality, he did get to the conference final, and the only reason he didn’t get further was he never had a good enough goalie. Put an above average goalie on those sens teams and we’re talking multiple Cups.

65. Mr. Higgins says:

i like… but, i don’t want to let Pyatt go

66. SLONCOLD says:

so when they won 6 in a row was he a bad coach? it’s just poor player execution. we can all second guess every player on the ice but at the end of the day the players have to do their jobs. JM didn’t take 6 penalties in a row, his players did….

67. badbalance says:

Mara’s days for the Habs are done. Didn’t even last half a season…

68. Bugs says:

To be fair, wouldna mattered WHAT had happened last night.

Halak was still startin this game.

Reckon we’ll see the Kid next Saturday vs Buffaler again.

That way, if we meet’em in the playoffs, we’ll have somethin NEW.

Jack Marty is a great coach.

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

69. badbalance says:

JM is really not a good coach, theres a reason why he only made it to second round max in the playoffs and not higher. He’s just a half-assed coach. I really do hope we will get a good coach next year. Please the team for once, not the media… I really liked Carbo’s system more, we had a great setup in the offensive zone and everything was clicking. Slump or no slump, i think Gainey shoulda let Carbo coach this team. With the heart this team has.. He could really make things work. Just seems lke as soon as we face a high pressure team, the team doesn’t know what to do with the puck..

70. tdrmoss84 says:

and of the 86 and 93 cup winning teams there was one constant…St Patrick…god bless em!

71. Iceberg84 says:

How about this? Sit Lapierre, send Pyatt back to Hamilton

Cammalleri – Plekanec – A. Kost

Gionta – Gomez – Pouliot

Moen – Moore – S. Kost

Darche – Metro – Bergeron

Defense

Markov – O’Byrne

Hamrlik – Spacek

Gorges – Gill

72. Habsrule1 says:

Price did what a back-up is supposed to do. He went and got a point on the road against a very good team. He deserved better, but he did his job.

JM made the decision to play Price based on this:

We were almost expected to lose, so if we lose partially cause Price was rusty, so be it. We come back with Halak and win….2 points. If we lose with Halak, then start Price against Florida, and we lose cause Price is rusty….0 points. It was an easy decision.

As far as who was on the ice when we lost….most of you bitch & moan cause JM is too defensive. He put out his offensive minded players to have a better chance of getting a breakout and scoring. If Cammalleri scores in the empty net, everyone is happy. It didn’t happen…get over it. We outplayed one of the best teams (Ryan Miller) in the East.

3 out of 4 points in this back2back would be a success…..and we can still do that with half the game we played last night.

73. tdrmoss84 says:

Good call on the netminder thing…Halak tonight and Price for the saturday matchup against the best goalie to play the game…great news on 32 coming back though…hooray!  He’s gonna look like someone from a Rob zombie flick…good luck Travis!

74. Top Corner says:

No one could stop that momentum last night…..we all knew they were going to tie it up….EVEN THE REFS

Price played great , he deserved the shutout….but small apples now.  All we need are “W”s…points…and a post season birth vs. them sabres……we could win a 7 game series with those clowns. I want it BAD!