Hal Gill’s status still uncertain, Martin says

From Herb Zurkowsky:

Canadiens coach Jacques Martin refused to speculate on veteran defenceman Hal Gill’s status for the seventh and deciding game of the Eastern Conference semifinal series between Montreal and Pittsburgh.

“With Hal, it’s the same scenario … a game-time decision,” Martin said on Tuesday, following an optional practice and team meeting at the Canadiens’ Brossard practice facility. “With two more days’ rest, we hope it’ll be better. But we won’t know until tomorrow.”

Gill suffered a laceration behind his left leg on Saturday, after colliding with Penguins’ winger Chris Kunitz early in the third period. Gill skated Monday morning and in the pre-game warmup before being scratched.

Meanwhile, Martin said he expects winger Travis Moen will play tomorrow night. Moen blocked a shot late in Monday’s game.

“At this time of year, I think he’s going to be all right,” the coach said.
Moen, who admitted he was struck in the ribs, said he expects to play.
Seven players – Carey Price, Sergei Kostitsyn, Benoit Pouliot, Ben Maxwell, Glen Metropolit, Ryan O’Byrne and Mathieu Darche – skated for 30 minutes Tuesday morning, before the meeting.

Pouliot, deemed responsible for Sidney Crosby’s first goal of the series, at 7:22 of the opening period, was limited to five shifts and 2:43 ice time on Monday.

1. mb says:

It was on Eric Engels’ twitter!   http://twitter.com/EricEngels

2. idle says:

I remember Mike Modano being very fast in that game.  I’m not sure but I always thought of Modano as being not the fastest skater around.

It’s a MAB MAB world.

And what are you? The bottom split!

4. ArmyFan says:

The out-of-control guy on that game, though, was Roenick (playing for Chicago then).  I was in university and we had a few draft-ball/Sega Hockey tournament Saturdays.  Rule #1 was that NOBODY could use the Blackhawks, because Roenick was INSANE.

Man – awesome memories of my wasted youth….

5. longtimehabsfan says:

I agree.  It’s all mental with Benny.  Buy hey, if AK46 can join the party then so can Benny.  Better late than never.

6. longtimehabsfan says:

Not resigning Cammy was Sutter’s biggest blunder this year.

7. Bash says:

Old HH…top banana?

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

8. TripleX says:

grrrrrr…you would ask that?  It was in one of the thousand links I read today on last nights game dude.  I tried to find it through google but failed.  I will keep trying to find it.

“Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.”

Well said.  That’s kind of what I meant.  Martin delivered the message to Pouliot.  Now it’s time to let the player know that his coach is on his side and is hoping for a big game when we need it the most.

10. Say Ash says:

I can’t find this

11. mike g says:

You’re welcome buddy!!

I saw some people talking about how it was already sold out below. Then I was listening to the Team 990, and they said it wasn’t sold out. So I checked for myself, and 3 times I had tickets in the reds, row cc….

I figured I’d let you other big Habs fans know about it. We all deserve it. Thank the Team 990 too, not just me lol..

Enjoy the game, and go nuts!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

12. topher5468 says:

I know right, Wow, what a cool thing to say,

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

13. topher5468 says:

Absolutely agree, His confidence is most definitely gone, We could use his skill set,

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

14. idle says:

I remember Lebeau too.  Some of the players rankings were a bit… creative and some of the rankings had certain marks where if you were above that mark it was a noticeable difference.  For instance if you found a player with a speed ranking of 98 then he would absolutely fly around the ice whereas a player with a 96 or 97 ranking was noticably slower.  With Lebeau I think it was his agility ranking that made him leathal.

I also remember using Lyle Odelin a lot in that game but probably to add a fight or two into the mix.

It’s a MAB MAB world.

15. The Teacher says:

And it’s not the lack of effort I am seeing, it is simple brain cramps that just can’t happen at this level. When he gives the puck up he skates hard to try and atone for mistake, and I am sure JM sees that.

16. The Teacher says:

The Montreal Canadiens are Montreal, Quebec, Canada’s Team. Always have been, always will be.

17. TripleX says:

Compare that to Mara who was quoted as saying he “would do anything to play for this team next season”.  He was reportedly near tears when soaking up the atmosphere last night and being unable to participate.

18. The Cat says:

Maybe confidence boost is a better way of putting it.

19. The Cat says:

Boones the same way, except for him its the hair on his back.

20. Kooch7800 says:

What happened to players having to earn respect and being a team player.  SK has done none of that.  The success of this years habs team is because they play as a team.  There is no room for individuals.  That is the difference between this years squad and the past few years.

He was sent down at the beginning of the year as a lesson as he was not committed in preseason.  He threatened to go to the KHL.  What does that say about him?  Look at Pyatt.  He went down didn’t complain and worked his tail off.  Now he is up and has a huge role.  If SK committed to playing and worked hard he would be in there too.

I don’t blame the coach.  SK just doesnt’ fit in with the team concept.  Boo hoo.  he get paid to play hockey. I never want to see him in a habs uni again.  It is insulting to the players who want to be there and have earned it.

21. avatar_58 says:

I love that EVERY game we’re saying “cmon god, one MORE!” haha

22. avatar_58 says:

SHUSH……you’ll jinx them

23. topher5468 says:

I will never understand at this point in the season, how a player might need a pep talk. If he hasn’t received the message already by being moved or banished he never will. What would JM possibly say in a pep talk. He has great potential but he is lacking something. I don’t know what it is but what ever it is he needs to remedy it fast

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

24. W35T5ID3 says:

I get the shivers and the hairs on my arms stand on end when  i think about the habs this postseason and the possibilties of how close we are to a cup.Please if there is a god,let us win game 7!

25. TripleX says:

Team 960….the flagship station of the Calgary Flames is waxing poetic about the Habs.  They have so far anointed the Habs fan bar none the BEST FANS in the NHL and the Cinderella Habs a team no true sports fan can not like.

The best part is when they said they want to punch Daryl Sutter everytime Cammi scores a goal.  LMAO

ps  they are working hard to broadcast game seven on THE FLAMES STATION

26. Kooch7800 says:

Laraque must be kicking himself right about now.  Man was he ever a waste of space

27. Chuck says:

I have a feeling that the remaing teams and their fans just might be cheering us on tomorrow to knock of the defending Stanley Cup champions.

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

Our roster is thin enough up front, Martin should give Pouliot a pep talk and get him revved up for Game 7.  I’m sure the kid got the message on Monday night.

29. badangel says:

i love you

couldn’t choose best tickets available.. and I think our section is in the corner :s but dammit I will be there now! section 108 here we come !!!!

Thanks Mike G !!! 😀 😀 😀

30. Say Ash says:

Given that the Caps were supposed to eliminate us in three, ever since Jagr beat Theo, the rest has been gravy. Well, I could really use a certain Cup to hold three weeks worth of gravy. Just sayin’…

31. Habitant in Surrey says:

…ROCK ON !!! Habs’ Fans

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

32. pmaraw says:

I think Crosby is upset.

33. mike g says:

BIG NEWS….

There are still some tickets left to watch the game at the Bell tomorrow….just went on the site and found a bunch of tickets in the reds, row cc…..

just select “best tickets available”, and choose no more that 2 tickets….

GO GO GO…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

34. TripleX says:

Have you guys not learned from Price?  Let him grow, mature and MAKE MISTAKES without the burden of being labeled the next Habs Superstar.  I am positive PK WILL be a star, but leave him alone for now.

35. badangel says:

speaking of decent articles.. Todd actually wrote one and it wasn’t anywhere on this site. haha I guess Boone ad Stubbs are ignoring his writing.. (which I don’t blame them…)

Here’s his bandwagon article http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/lose+Habs+deserve+standing+tonight/3007375/story.html

not much negativity in there.. I didn’t know he had it in him

36. badangel says:

sorry double post

37. TripleX says:

Hardly class dude, it is just smart.  With no more call ups allowed and BGL taking up a roster spot, SK is needed if there is an injury to a forward position.  As long as the Habs play on and the Bulldogs are in the playoffs as well, SK will keep in shape as insurance.

38. ArmyFan says:

Yay Pittsburgh.  Celebrate your hero for cross-checking Plekanec in the dying seconds of the game.  The only “perceived offence” was that Plekanec and the Habs are shooting holes in the Penguins’ (and the city of Pittsburgh’s) sense of ‘entitlement’.

I’ll bet on Sindy, too. $1000 says he pisses and moans and acts like a spoiled brat yet again in Game 7.

Wicked hockey player, but what an effing child he is.

39. TripleX says:

Really can’t defend his lack of a professional attitude but it is understandable Chris.  He feels rejected by the team and has burned his bridges.  Immature?  Yes.

The best thing for both parties is a clean start, his time in Montreal is over and everyone knows it.  The roster problems of the team due to call up restrictions and BGL is just prolonging the inevitable.

It’s not the top dog in the fight but the fight of the underdog.

Three great articles about the Habs improbable run:

Habs overcoming adversity to reach mythic status

The Morning Skate: No Quit in the Canadiens,
    Honor for Orr

Upstart Canadiens making most of improbable
    playoff run

42. mike g says:

Oh man guys, just thinking about tomorrow night….

One more win, and were in. One more win, and the top dogs are out; all of them, gone home. WSH, PIT, NJ- all out of the race, and only BOS and PHI left. Wow, that would be seriously crazy. No need for the “underdog” title, and “oh, MTL has no chance of winning this series” bs.

Crosby, Malkin, Ovi and all the prima dona’s will be out of the way. No diving, crying and unfair PP’s to the other team. It could be a nice ride in the Conference Finals….

Man, would that be sweet or what.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

Why don’t you and PrimeTime go rent a room?

44. zamboni says:

I wouldn’t go as far as calling it a class

I think it is more a punishment than allowing him to practice.

Remember, they didn’t allow him to join his national team, now that would have been class.

I’m not criticizing the team for it, but to call it a class stretches too far, there’s always two sides to a story, the way Martin treated him this year doesn’t come anywhere close to calling it a class act.

45. Bash says:

Retro Monkey? Retro Monkey? Is that you?? I can’t hear you!

What’s that? You have a banana up your what??

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

46. The Cat says:

Thats God awful journalism right there…’The penguins wont lose their last game at mellon’…’Crosby wont let it happen’…’Im betting on Crosby’ etc

47. ed lopaz says:

Habs hockey = Smart hockey we work as a team, and we win as a team. we play 5 man defence – not just 2. we play with energy, we play with Subban (Pk could have been with us since the Olympics, but nevermind that)

people that are selfish always find new ways to disappoint the good people around them.

sergei is a very selfish young man.

48. Shublips says:

That was simply amazing!  The Habs are really playing like a team and winning as a result.  THIS reminds me of 93 more than any other year.

Yes, that Habs have a long way to go, but they are coming together at the right time and that is what winning in the playoffs is all about!

Habs Addict.com http://www.HabsAddict.com on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Habs-Addict/293450486615 on Twitter: http://twitter.com/HabsAddict on Hockeybuzz.com: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_archive.php?blogger_id=137

49. SLONCOLD says:

did you see fleury’s beard? looks horrible

50. coachdoug says:

Looks like Plek is getting to Sid…

Hopefully the Habs will get in their heads early and often Wednesday…

“Save us Turtleneck Man…We need you now more than ever!”

51. ed lopaz says:

How crazy  is PK?

He is the first defenceman I have seen who has the foot work, speed, and skill to shut down Crosby down low.

He plays with an “edge” in his game, a toughness, that doesn’t back down from anyone, rips Matt Cooke, Crosby, Malkin, and Guerin away from the puck or from in front of Halak.

He moves the puck up the ice with great stick handling – excellent passing – great vision.

He skates at different speeds – effortlessly – or with another gear that seems to be faster than everyone

He plays the point on the power play and has a cannon for a shot – which we have not seen yet!

He plays smart – on the Penalty Kill – intelligent defensive zone coverage – switching off – attacking loose pucks, clearing the zone

He is a GREAT team player – with amazing enthusiasm for the game.

How cool is PK?

Gents, we are watching a future Norris Trophy winner here, and a future league MVP.

With PK, Halak, and Cammy – we have 3 legitimate NHL stars all emerging together.

This is NOT the same team that we watched all season.

When we get past tomorrow night……

52. Le Jadester says:

I completely agree Chris.

I as well have tried to see things from his perspective but yes this is becoming a gong show with him. Its one thing to be chapped about not playing, but when it gets to the point of bringing others down……..that is unacceptable.  I am assuming that he cannot handle this mentally and emotionally. Sad really.  That or the Leafs management have gotten to him !

He’s still an amazing player though, hopefully for him he will get another chance to redeem himself. I always like it when ex-habs players do well on other teams.  Makes us look good.

Habs, OLE !

53. SLONCOLD says:

mcgill has one:-)

won’t do too much for the acl though.

54. ArmyFan says:

He’s been disappointing.  But this time of year you never know what it could be.  He could have an injury that he’s trying to play with.  Groin, shoulder, hip – you don’t know, ’cause they’re so tight-lipped about it.

Could just be a recurrence of the injury that kept him out of the Habs’ lineup when they first picked him up. I think it was his wrist (?)

I, for one, hope that’s all it is and that he’s salvageable.

55. cerealkiller says:

nhl.com already has a “history will be made” video up about it. It’s a little different than the usual ones, though. Have a look at the main site, it’s worth it.

56. SPATS says:

I’m just speculating, but seems to me he’s lost 1/2 a step possibly due to poor conditioning and he’s lost his confidence as a result. He’s off balance a lot trying to make up the difference. He’ll need to hit the weightpile all summer long to show he’s got the work ethic to go with all the talent. I wish him well.

57. Chuck says:

Do the Habs own a hyperbaric chamber big enough for Gill? If so, shove him in there and let him breathe pure oxygen to help the healing process until game time tomorrow. And while you’re at it, make room for Markov in there, too.

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

58. Le Jadester says:

I posted it earlier but will again………..Yer right, Lappy’s goal was a historic one for this second millenium of Les Canadiens. I was so happy the 100 year celebrations ended (not in a bad way, but in a way where these new cats can start to write their own history), and yesterday histroy was written (at least in my books).

I have such a love/hate relationship with Lappy too.

Habs, OLE !

59. ArmyFan says:

LMAO! NHL 94 was the BEST game EVER!!! I got a Genesis and that game for Christmas ’93.

Cycle out of the corner into the slot, hang on just long enough and the goalie couldn’t get over quick enough, shoot — goal ALWAYS.

The other AWESOME secret weapon on that game was Stephan Lebeau.  The starting forwards were Muller, Bellows, and (I think) Damphousse.  But as I much as I love Muller, you had to yank him and put Lebeau in.  He was UNSTOPPABLE! Drove my buddies NUTS!

60. idle says:

Russ Courtnall flying down center ice making a little jog step in front of the crease and then going back hand…net

Shane Corson rumbling down the boards cutting to the net and pushing players and pucks across the goal line.

And my favorite… Todd Ewen doing a spinorama and scoring top shelf

It’s a MAB MAB world.

61. lenny says:

just like expantion into the south, the history will be made commercials are over done!

62. Xtrahabsfan says:

About that Lapierre goal last night….What a thing of BEAUTY! Very proud of Max and loving that francophone heart …..reminds me of the past glories of Les Habatant….And did we need that goal at that moment,it was PERFECT !

63. FSUPhi1584 says:

According to my research, Pouliot will be subject to waivers due to the fact that he played exactly 11 games in 07/08 due to the 3 years for skaters rule. If I misinterpreted how waivers work, please let me know. I was really hoping we could get a big Power Forward this offseason, and stick Pouliot with Guy Boucher for some time. They should still leave him there for a year to really learn the game, because i don’t want to give up on a prospect that has such a high ceiling.

64. Habby2CU says:

Haha, totally.

Give Vinnie D the puck, take it outside, cut in front of the net – bang! Goal every time.

65. mike g says:

Just like every good thing the NHL has, they’ve managed to piss all over it.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

66. Habscore says:

and yet, the Habs organization has so much class that they let him practise with the team. I guess today was his last chance.

— YES HABS CAN!! —

67. toinz says:

will be made: Maxim Lapierre

What if there were no
    hometown heroes?

or as I call it

What is Lapierre learned
    how to score goals from NHL 93 on Sega Genesis

68. lenny says:

Now it’s gone really to far….I thibk he is playing out of his mind, bur Lappy…come on

69. mike g says:

And now……..Max Lapierre has his own “What if” commercial on NHL.COM….

check it out for yourselves…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

70. sh00n says:

We need to keep applying insane pressure from the get-go and close up on their perimeter guys and refrain from any stupid penalties. With the way this series has been called, we need to play extremely disciplined and not allow the refs to call it.

I have faith though. In past years I’ve had fear coming up for playoff games. Like our team, however, that fear is starting to feel like confidence that we’ll pull through. When we’d go down in the past, I’d be worried sick. Now, I wait for us to tie it up and take the lead.

Feels a little like 93! Here’s hoping the encore continues! GO HABS GO!

71. Johnny_Offensive says:

Meant to say also – when your team has given up a lead in all three losses and is 11-6 in even strength goals…you’re relying on a PP and a one-man show. I like our chances here, folks.

72. Chris Aung-Thwin says:

Sergei is not making the trip to Pittsburgh.

from RDS:

“Kostitsyn ne fait rien pour gagner des points auprès du personnel
    d’entraîneurs du Canadien. Mardi matin, l’instructeur des gardiens
    Pierre Groulx qui dirigeait la pratique, a chassé le cadet des frères
    Kostitsyn de la patinoire en raison d’un manque évident d’effort à

Kostitsyn hasn’t been winning any points with the coaching staff. Tuesday morning goalie coach Pierre Groulx who was leading the practice chased the younger Kostitsyn off the ice because of an apparent lack of effort.

I’ve tried to defend SK before but this is getting ridiculous.

73. sh00n says:

Luongo shaved the beard, Pouliot HAS to get rid of the moustache. Worst facial hair of all time. At least handlebar it or something haha.

74. Johnny_Offensive says:

They still don’t get it in Pittsburgh. They think it’s a one-man sport. This ain’t tennis, folks. You’d think they’d have figured out what was going on by now – the best TEAM wins – but, hey, just keep having the faith in your wonder boy…it works in our favor.

75. Xtrahabsfan says:

WHAT IN THE HELL HAPPENED TO POULOIT?  It’s like someone smashed him in the back of the head with a shovel or turned off a Stars light….I don’t get it!….Maybe it’s that mustache,lol