Hal Gill dealt to Nashville (updated with audio)

DSC07599

AUDIO: Josh Gorges | Randy Cunneyworth

At first glance, the Hockey Inside/Out Trade Desk thinks this is a good deal for the Canadiens.

Everyone knew Hal Gill – an experienced defenceman and penalty-kill specialist – was on the block and likely to be of interest for teams positioned to make a serious run at the Stanley Cup.

But what could fans reasonably expect to get in return?

Maybe a third-round draft pick?

Pierre Gauthier has landed a second-rounder to add to his inventory this June – plus two players … one of whom is the grandson of Boom-Boom Geoffrion and the great-grandson of Howie Morenz.

From Geoffrion’s  Twitter account: Wow..what a day…its bitter sweet, going to miss my hometown of nashville, but going to where it all started with my family…MONTREAL!!!

From Robert Slaney: My twitter followers are just skyrocketing! I love Montreal already!

The team announcement:

MONTREAL (February 17, 2012) – Montreal Canadiens general manager, Pierre Gauthier, announced today the acquisition of forwards Blake Geoffrion and Robert Slaney, as well as a second round draft pick in 2012 from the Nashville Predators, in return for defenseman Hal Gill and a conditional fifth round draft pick in 2013.

The 24-year old Geoffrion played 22 games with the Predators this season. He registered three assists, 29 hits and 17 penalty minutes, playing an average of 10 minutes and 20 seconds per game. In his second year in professional hockey this season, he also played with the AHL Milwaukee Admirals recording nine points, including two goals, in 20 games.

The 6’01’’, 190 lbs left winger has collected 11 points (6 goals, 5 assists) in 42 regular season games in the NHL. Geoffrion displays a career +1 plus/minus differential. He added two assists in 12 playoff games in 2010-11, along with a +1 plus/minus ratio.

A native of Plantation, Florida, Geoffrion was drafted in the second round, 56th overall by the Predators at the 2006 NHL Entry Draft. He was awarded the Hobey Baker Memorial Award, as the Top U.S. Collegiate Player in 2010.

Slaney, 23, notched one assist in nine games with the AHL’s Milwaukee Admirals, and 18 points (11 goals, 7 assists) in 30 games with the ECHL’s Cincinnati Cyclones this season.

A product of the QMJHL’s Cape Breton Screaming Eagles the 6’02’’, 203 lbs left winger registered eight assists in 52 career games in the AHL. Slaney added 53 points (19 goals, 34 assists) in 113 career games in the ECHL.

The Upper Cove Island, Newfoundland native Slaney signed as a free agent with the Toronto Maple Leafs on April 14, 2009. He was acquired from Toronto by the Predators on July 3, 2011.

“First and foremost, I would like to thank Hal Gill for his contribution to our team over the last three seasons. His leadership and commitment were much appreciated. I wish him the best of luck with his new team. We are also very pleased to have acquired a second round draft selection in 2012 and two young prospects for our organisation. We look forward to working together with Blake Geoffrion and Robert Slaney to continue their progression,” said Canadiens’ general manager Pierre Gauthier.

Hal Gill played 53 games this season with the Canadiens registering eight points (1 goal, 7 assists). He recorded 48 hits and 122 blocked shots, playing an average of 16 minutes and 44 seconds per game.

Since joining the NHL, Gill has recorded 179 points (36 goals and 143 helpers) and maintained a +43 plus/minus ratio in 1,047 NHL regular season games.

1. RockinRey says:

What no salutation in the press relief? As in MR. Geoffrion and MR. Slaney for Mr. Gill. What am i reading?

2. Naslund110 says:

Gill is a class act. you never had to worry about him bringing his A game. he went out night after night playing his role. solid d man that excelled on the Pk. we will miss him.

PG did a good job on this one. a few kids and a draft pick. even if the kids don’r pan out a second round pick is all i really expected for Gill.

3. Peter Young says:

It’s a bit sad to see Hal Gill go. He certainly made an impact, both on the ice and in the dressing room, in the three years he was here. And he did give valuable guidance to some of our younger players, particularly P.K. Subban. So a big thank you to Hal Gill and best wishes to him in Nashville (as long as he does nothing that hurts the Canadiens).

Welcome to Blake Geoffrion. I once shook his grandfather’s hand in the old Boston Garden almost 50 years ago.

4. PureGuava says:

A career +43 in a 1000 plus games. ‘Nuff said.

5. Geekay says:

Cool if the family and the club let Blake wear #5.

6. RetroMikey says:

The beginning of many more trades for young prospects and draft picks.
    A second round pick is great but I want more! I want some 1st round draft picks coupled with the second and third round picks along with some young fresh prospects.
    It`s going to be a very good NHL draft and PG better shop for more.
    Tank I say! Tank!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

7. blu_blanc_rouge says:

It a different Slaney… That Slaney ( John) would be in his late 30′s by now…both from NFL however

8. VancouverHab says:

If PG trades Kaberle for a first round pick (now that the player has failed to ignite our PP) then PG looks like a very good GM and certainly saves his job beyond this year.

• The Jackal says:

Hey, VancouverHab, any idea where I can go to catch a game in Vancouver?

• iHeart Les Habitants says:

There’s La Belle Patate, 1215 Davie Street. It’s not a bar, but a licensed Poutine joint that shows all the games. Poutine, Beers, and the habs… it’s a home away from home.

• VancouverHab says:

Sorry — replied on the other thread. I always go to The French Quarter on Lougheed Hwy and Brunette overpass ….

• MasterHab says:

The French Quarter Pub doesn’t do anything of a Habs nature that I’ve ever heard of. It’s just a regular pub like all the others: wall-to-wall Canucks crap.
          I’d never heard of La Belle Patate. Too bad it didn’t exist back when I lived in the West End although there was Roosters Quarters which had Montreal style BBQ chicken, poutine, and sugar pie.
          We finally have a Dunns in Vancouver (on Seymour near Robson)and a few blocks away is Frenchies (on Dunsmuir near Richards)which is owned and operated by a little guy from Shawinigan named Michel. He’s got Habs banners hanging from the ceiling and several player photos. Trouble is the place shuts down at like 4pm.

• gerrybell says:

are you nuts? what team would give up a first rounder for Kabs? if you ran a team would you? no. kabs isnt worth a 7th round pick with that contract. he will still be hab two weeks from now.

g
      b

9. habstrinifan says:

Prediction: If we lose to Buffalo tonight PG goes in full sell mode and AK is gone and who knows who else??

10. AH says:

Is this that Slaney kid from the world juniors some years ago? I remember watching the tourney and them doing a feature on him because he was from the rock..I think he had a good tourney..same guy? anyone know any more about him?

11. Kimberly2u says:

I’m gonna miss Hal but it was inevitable….there goes our penalty kill the only thing we had going for us

12. Solid, damn solid trade for Hal Gill. Good job Gauthier.
    That being said, thanks a ton for your time here Hal, always brought a smile to my face.

13. nellis13 says:

Markov’s not tradeable.

14. phillyhab says:

Very good trade. Who worked the phones impersonating PG?

15. nellis13 says:

This DOES mean that they’ve given up on making the playoffs which is healthy.
    More importantly, who gets the “A”
    You gotta think it’s going to Cole

16. manu07 says:

Just checked the schedule, what’s with the friday and Sunday games I hate this, this week and next week we play Friday and Sunday. I think the NHL when creating a schedule will do anything to F the Canadiens. Including late season schedule trickery!

17. Rooster says:

Doubt kaberle would get us a 2nd rounder. Definitely not a1st kostitsyn maybe

18. nellis13 says:

There goes the PK for the rest of the season, the only thing we really had going for us. This is sure to help us finish near last and we got quite a few spare parts in return. I like it. Does this mean we go back it 6 D?

19. habstrinifan says:

This is a “read between the lines” post. Two things strike me as I read between the lines here… well three things.

First though this seems like a great trade by PG. Great not in the quality of players etc but in TIMING and OPTIMIZATION.
    I am sure that the commentariat, as Boone calls them, have already dissected the trade so I will leave it as yes… good trade.

Now for my read between the lines observation.
    A) Was it Boone’s error or did Mr. Pierre Gauthier, in his remarks after the trade, say Hal Gill and not Mr. Hal Gill? If so this is a significant departure and to me shows that PG is actually ‘changing’… for the better.

B) If PG is making that kind of effort to change and also judging by the fact that he seems to have the ‘go ahead’ to manage the trade deadline and the ‘selling process’… it seems that PG may have indeed be given a ‘second chance mandate’ by Geoff Molson. Personally I believe it to be so.. but I dont think the mandate is carte-blanche.. I think during the off season you will see major ‘guiding hands’ at work in the ‘background’. And no not Bob Gainey. It follows, to me, that if PG is back.. then the two Randy’s will be back.. and I think this may be at the behest of the PLAYERS.
    An aside here… I think Randy’s ‘benching’ of Lars Eller against Boston was a mistake. But I think RC recognized this .. hence you saw the very PERSONAL coaching of Lars during the practices after the Boston game. When I read about the one on one with Eller I was very optimistic about the coaching of of teh two Randys. I think the players will have an imput in keeping them. Now remember I said only if PG is retained. New GM… back to drawing board completely.

Some other observations.. I dont think PG and Randy have given up, nor have the players, but I believe the Gill trade was PG at his best re timing etc. I posted yesterday, after the announcement of the Grossman deal that Gill should be trade regardless.

One request from my fellow posters. Please Please Please recognize that the boys h HAVE STEPPED UP THEIR GAME and are trying and also giving us value for the buck right now.. well except you know who and who and who. I found the comments during the Boston and Caolina games totally unappreciative of the efforts of the players.
    Heck even Bertuzzi the Bullish wrecked his mojo by going negative.

Well I said my piece…. GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!

• The Juice says:

Here here!

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

20. icemachine says:

Great return, PG manages to move Gomez and he just may save his career

Its time to switch to whiskey, we’ve been drinkin’ beer all night

21. Hobie Hansen says:

Wake up people. The Kaberle acquisition made the canadiens the laughing stock of the entire NHL.

He went to Boston last year and totally stunk out the joint and added nothing to their playoff run.

Carolina then signs him, to the total amazement of the entire hockey world, to a 3-year-deal with a cap hit of around $4.5 mill.

He played brutally in Carolina and 30 games into his contract they were desperate to get him off the books any way possible. They didn’t care about getting Spacek back and would have given Kaberle away for free.

Kaberle is awful. Diaz or Weber has as much offensive talent as Kaberle at the moment and are better defensively.

Kaberle cost us the game the other night when his weakness on defense was completely exposed by Stall. There is not one team on the planet that would take Kaberle and his contract from Montreal for free. Believe me.

He’s slow, soft and BRUTAL in his own zone.

22. aj says:

The way I see with this trade, it seems that PG is sending a message to Scott Gomez that his days playing with the Habs are numbered.

If our team will make trades from now till the summertime, the following players will be gone here for good:

Forwards:
    Gomez (finally! Farm him to the AHL or move him to Europe.)
    Kostitsyn
    Moen

Defencemen:
    Kaberle
    Campoli

Additional trades will be also:
    Nokelainen
    Markov (possible)
    Plekanec (possible)
    Darche (possible)

If the Habs are going to rebuild this team, Our 2012-2013 lineup might probably look like this:

Forwards:
    Cole – Desharnais – Pacioretty
    Gionta – Eller – Bourque
    ??? – Leblanc – ??? (Gallagher might be mixed here depending on his tenure with the Bulldogs)
    ??? – Geoffrion – White (hopefully, Boom-Boom’s grandson will be the Centre the Habs are looking for)

Defencemen:
    Subban – Gorges
    Diaz – Emelin
    (Tinordi – Beaulieu – possible 3rd blueline)
    (Additional 4th blueline, possibly, Frédéric Saint-Denis will be added)

Goalies:
    Price
    Budaj

• Virauge says:

That lineup looks fine if your going for last in the league. Reality is trading Pleks or Markov your looking for top 6 forwards and a top pair defensman.

• Stev.R says:

There is no way Tinordi or Beaulieu are getting major minutes in the NHL next year. Plekanec is probably not going anywhere.

I’m more reserved in saying:
      ??? – Plekanec – Gionta
      Pacioretty – DD – Cole
      Kos (Leblanc) – Eller – Bourque
      Blunden – Geoffrion – White
      Noke
      Markov – Subban
      Kaberle – Weber
      Gorges – Emelin
      Diaz

This team doesn’t need a huge overhaul. It need healthy players who play up to their potential, and their youth to continue developing.

• aj says:

Well, we’ll see. Because, by the way Gauthier is moving right now till the 27th this month, it seems that Gill’s trade is a sure message the Habs are sellers and even the summertime, I’m feeling this team will have a major restructuring.

I’m not sure about Markov right now. By the time he does get back, it might be next season and that’s almost 2 years since he played.

Weber might be also moved, depending on how available the slots for the D core is going to look like.

Not sure as well if AK will be back next year. His agent might ask for a trade this time around or by summertime. I can actually say that he’s not happy staying here and like he said before the game against Boston, if he see’s that his ice time is not increasing after 2 games, he will ask for a trade.

• Virauge says:

The defense pairs would look more like;

Markov – Gorges
        Subban – Emelin
        Kaberle – Tinordi/Diaz

Kaberle and Weber are way too weak defensively to be paired together. Kaberle needs a stay-at-home defenseman paired with him. Diaz isn’t bad horrible defensively, but still too weak to pair with Kaberle. There are signs of that this year.

• habstrinifan says:

Have you read Geoffrion’s career stats. No way he is “the centre the habs are looking for” But you do have good nucleus.

23. smiler2729 says:

Did someone feed Pierre Gauthier some red meat or something? He fleeced David Poile and didn’t refer to any of the players as Mister?

Maybe it’s Gainey in a Gauthier mask…

The deal doesn’t exactly label the Habs as sellers, more of a sideways move…

It’s amazing what a trade can do, 270+ comments already and everybody being civil and actually discussing hockey!

Hopefully the next CBA allows for more mid season “hockey trades” like in yesteryear cuz it really blows being all bottled with nothing to bitch about but the same old targets (Goats, Gomez, AK, etc…)

It ain’t over ’til the last beer’s drunk…

__________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

• habstrinifan says:

I agree LOL. I smiled all afternoon thinking that PG must be staying up nights re-reading his NHL GM handbook … and learning. Dont think you will see a Kaberle type move from PG again… I hope.

24. Dr.Rex says:

What happened to the Gomez twit?

25. The Dude says:

Tank-you for your time here Mr Hal Gill.

26. Rugger says:

Craig Rivet trade as a UFA was pretty good by Gainey (in response to below saying this is better than any Gainey UFA trade)

27. Stev.R says:

I wonder if Phili getting Grossman yesterday eliminated the only other team trying to get a depth defenceman. If that were the case, that probably reduced the price for Gill.

Or maybe it reduced the competition to only a couple teams trying to get Gill, and instead raised the price.

Maybe, it had no effect at all.

28. Marc10 says:

This is a good deal. Geoffrion looked good the one time we saw him and he gets to join a bunch of kids.

Nashville will love Skillsie on the PK and I wish the big guy all the best. I hope he wins a cup. He was a great pick up by Bob.

Nice work PG. If by some miracle you can offload Kabs and Campoli, you may well get a chance to right past wrongs. I really like this deal. On paper… it looks good.

29. Stev.R says:

Now that Gill is gone, we can probably bet that we will be signing a veteran depth defenseman this summer. Still a lot of youth on the back end. Maybe somebody like Sarich, or someone similar

30. jo_maka says:

Could we hope to get a Tomas Vincour and a 2nd for a Campoli ?

Oooooor ambitious much ?
    _________________________________
    Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

31. Dr.Rex says:

COnsidering the return we got for Hal GIll what dos this mean for the value of following players:
    -Campoli
    -Weber
    -Kaberle

32. EastCoastHab says:

23 games left = 46 points available

8 point back………

Forgive me but I don’t give up until the end! You can speak realities all you want but professional sports has taught us time and time again…….it’s not over until ………

33. doug19 says:

Amazing in one trade PG (OK he can stay) got more than Gainey ever got for UFAs. Gainey for some reason sleep walked into the end of the season without getting hardly a bag of pucks for our UFAs.For Kovalev O,for Koivu O, Komisarek O.
    Did he not like K? Who have I missed? I know Moore 0, Halpen O or was he PG? How about MAB and Koustopolis O, Pyatt O?, Pouliot O. Wow this will be a long list! Wait Gainey also lost Streit and Sourey for zippo! Also Dandenault,Ryder,Bonk.

• Dr.Rex says:

IF we had gotten decent compensation for even half of those players we could have been champs by now. Considering what we got for Gill and Rivet just think what we could have gotten for players like Souray, Streit, Ryder, Wiz, Komisarek, Koivu and Boullion knowing quite well at the time that we were going to lose them. Souray alone would have fetched 2 1sts that year.

• Marc10 says:

Yeah. Unforgiveable that. But hey… looks like they’re learning!

Me thinks poker face PG just might be a very good negotiator. Now if he can stay away from tiny players… who knows. Wiz was a great deal last year… and this is good.

• ont fan says:

And if they traded those guys in a playoff run gainey would have been crucified….you can’t have it both ways..sell and make a run doesn’t work..oh yea you forgot the Rivet trade,

• Marc10 says:

They were a borderline team playing the ‘anything can happen once we make the show’ scenario. That’s like playing the lottery. You have to be in it to win it, but…

I like this better. If we’re 8th and have holes in our game… we should sell off. You either resign before they get to UFA, or have a contender where you make a run or you sell off. That would be a better philosophy going forward, IMO.

• Timo says:

MAB… If one player I will never forgive BG for letting go is MAB. Was the best asset we’ve ever had.

34. Irishhabsfan says:

We will have to take the wait and see approach. Hal Gill while a big man and slow of foot was always appreciated in the locker-room, especially at playoff time. Thanks Hal and good luck.

35. --Habs-- says:

Maybe now we can start free falling to get close to the first round pick. In the lottery you can only go up 1 right. So the lower we sink the better. The only team we can’t catch is the Jackets.

Gill for me was a very nice surprise as it turned out. I have a much better appreciation for his knowledge of the game, even with his inabilities.

We knew that Gill had to be moved. We got a 2nd round pick this year, that might be able to play one day and two players for Hamilton.

Moen is hurt for at least a month, so I do not see him going anywhere.

We are stuck with Gomez for two more years, or we buy him out.

Kaberle is going to be hard to move for anything worth while. Maybe a second or third pick!

Campolie, we might get a 3rd pick or a young prospect for Hamilton.

Weber might stay as 7th D

• Hobie Hansen says:

Thank god Moen is hurt. I really want him to sign another deal here.

And as we’ve heard mentioned the past week, No GM in the world except Gauthier wants Kaberle. He is completely unmovable for $4.5 Mill a season for two more years.

That being said, I don’t think Kaberle is a total disaster. And I have hopes of him adding offense to our PP and playing with Subban and Markov on the PP next year.

• Stev.R says:

He’s hardly unmovable. A .5 p/g defenceman that can quarterback a PP and is only a cap hit of 4.3 (which is not very high at all)

• NCRhabsfan says:

Heard from whom? Are we talking other bloggers with no inside knowledge or an association of GMs who might actually have some insight? He netted a first round pick last year around this time. Who knows what a serious cup contender might be willing to part with to get a depth D with some experience and offensive upside. This is a guy that played on a Stanley Cup winner less 12 months ago. He’s healthy and racking up points. That may make him very attractive to a team in the right situation, even with his current contract.

Do you really think Markov will ever play 40 games in a season again? I’m not optimistic. I hope at the very least they don’t let him play this year. Give that knee an extra few months to fully heal. I still don’t think that will work, but at this stage there is absolutely nothing to be gained by bringing him back now.

• D Mex says:

- Campoli has to go. There will be demand for Kaberle but PG should hold fire as long as doubt remains about Markov. Throw Webber in with either to sweeten the pot if that’s what it takes.
      - AK is the logical next choice to go and should bring a decent return – my guess is is LA.
      - Moen can take the time required to heal before re-signing (hopefully) right where he is.

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Tomas Kaberle would look a whole lot better playing with Josh Gorges than he does with Chris Campoli.

“Andrei Kostitsyn will be traded this month”
      - Sean Bonjovi

• habstrinifan says:

I think Moen being hurt might be a blessing in disguise. I will be ok if he is on the team next year…. as long as some significant changes are made.

37. Un Canadien errant says:

Wow, I thought we were optimistic on what we would get back for Hal Gill when some would float a possible second rounder. I think it was Bob McKenzie a week ago who said that the Penguins had given up a second rounder for him, and he had obviously helped them, but nowadays the Canadiens would be getting a fifth for him or thereabouts.

This is an excellent trade. We get a second rounder, a solid prospect in Blake Geoffrion, one who can play right now, which we need since we have no fourth line.

We also get organizational depth, in that the Hamilton Bulldogs are overmatched and this can’t be good for the youngsters, to lose night after night. They get reinforcements, more mature guys with size, and that will help all the first-year players who’ll swarm Hamilton next season.

Plus, we’ve lubricated the way for further discussions with the Preds, if any other giant defencemen were available to be had at the right (steep) price.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• rjp says:

Well, that’s make it clear – if we thought we could make the playoffs, Gill probably stays. Now we know what management thinks of our chances. Too bad, I was hoping…… Need to change my plans to watch the Habs-Sabres tonight!

38. secretdragonfly says:

Welcome to Montreal (soon) Blake

And thanks Hal, loved your passion and sense of humour. Would really like to see you back in a coaching capacity.

39. GrimJim says:

Hey, the LiveBlog thread just disappeared

40. Stev.R says:

Love this trade. Have been wanting Geoffrion for three years now. And am glad Hal Gill is gone.

Add another solid move to PG’s resume. He’s still batting 1000

• Boomer says:

i don’t know about pg batting 1000, the kaberle trade alone drops it quite a bit IMO
      but he hit it out of the park on this trade :)

• tote-road says:

He’s batting 1000 for Feb. 17. It would be churlish to state his lifetime average on a day like this.

• NCRhabsfan says:

Why all the hate for Kaberle? He’s played pretty well for the Habs since he arrived. He is what he is, which isn’t a huge bruiser, but he gives them a veteran presence and some offence from the blue line. Yes he gets beaten sometimes, which makes him the same as 100% of the Hab’s other defencemen. Given the state of the Canadiens at that moment in time, and the fact that they still had a shot at the play-offs, it was probably as good a move as there was at the time.

• Stev.R says:

And the fact that we got him for basically nothing, and that he will be relied upon less in defensive situations once Markov is healthy, and because he is a veteran with experience, and because he does no harm in the dressing room. I’m not calling for him to be knighted, but the hate on Kabs is so unwarranted.

• twilighthours says:

Except for kaberle

41. Jocko says:

Crazy, I was actually thinking about Montreal getting this kid a few days ago. I was reading about Blake Comeau here in Calgary and for some crazy reason I thought Geffrion was an Islander. Weird. sad lto see Gill go, but he is a great guy and hope he does well with the Preds.

Wonder if the Blue Jackets would take Weber or Kaberle and a late round pick for Derek Brassard? Maybe Kaberle and Moen for Brassard and Vermette.

I don’t want to see Maurice tonight, I want to see The Rocket!

42. Ozmodiar says:

Good deal. Really, it breaks down like this:
    Gill – 2nd
    5th – Geoffrion

I think the 5th is conditional on BG (oh man, look at those initials) playing x number of games. Which makes sense because he might have to pass through waivers at some point next year if he’s sent down (guessing).

So, with BBB (baby boom-boom?) penciled in as the 4th line LW, that leaves the 3rd line spot open for either Moen or AK…or neither. In short, i suspect someone else is on the way out.

43. bellcentre hotdog says:

I love the fact that for the first time in recent memory, the Habs actually got back assetts for a UFA.

Maybe they’ve finally learned that watching UFAs leave at season’s end is no way to manage a hockey team.

44. munch17 says:

Gotta say – with a whole industry of trade rumours – PG did it again – out of the blue – not a hint to reporters. Love it.
    Press must hate it.

45. SteverenO says:

With all due respect to Mr. Gill I believe that the Habs are a better team without him in the lineup. I very much respect his effort and am actually in awe that he was able to compete at such a high level for such a long time despite being the slowest skater on the ice.

The Habs will only be successful when we utilize our team speed. having fast forwards and a slow defense is not a recipe for success. Dressing 7 Defensemen is never a good strategy. At least one of the three aging vets had to go (Campoli, Gill, Kaberle). Gill was the one that was able to bring us the highest return so PG made a good decision.

The sooner we can rid ourselves of the other two the better off we will be..

Will Gill`s absence hurt our penalty killing? I don`t think so, in fact ot may get even better. Gill was getting way too much time on the PK unit. Subban and Diaz have both performed much better than Gill in this role. With those two and Gorges we have three quality penalty killing d-men. Emelin will have to develop into the 4th member of the defensive PK unit.

So while there is a drop from Gill to Emelin, this will be more than offset by having Subban and Diaz get more ice time on the PK unit.

We can only hope that RC does not do something silly like use Campoli or Kaberle on the PK, but then again who knows?

Nothing that s done by a coach that insists on playing Gomer Pyle on the PP will surprise me.

regards,

Steve O.

• tote-road says:

Am hoping PG isn’t done. I’d gladly take a 3rd for Campoli and then offer Kaberle and that 3rd to anyone who would give me a 7th for them. The we could find out if Weber can actually play or not and maybe even call that St. Denis kid up and give him a chance.

46. habsfan0 says:

It would be nice and show true class if the Habs’ each wore a #8 patch on their unis tonight in memory of the Kid.

47. joeybarrie says:

Those of you who think Gill was fairly useless, watch the rest of the season. Watch the Preds defence. See what happens. Their PK will go up and ours will suffer. A solid veteran with experience and a very good skill set. Key to the number 1 PK in the league.
    PG sold him well and a good trade all around.
    Those of you thinking a 24 year old kid with little NHL experience has hit his ceiling, keep tuned. You will see. This kid will be a very decent player. (I’m hoping)

• Hobie Hansen says:

Gill was a big part of the PK no question. But he’s done. He might have one playoff left in him but we were going to lose him shortly anyway.

He cost us the game against Carolina while killing a penalty earlier this week. He had all the time in the world to clear a puck and he put it right on a Carolina stick at the blue line, Habs never cleared the puck and Carolina scored to tie the game.

He has done that several times this season. Not always resulting in goals but he’s been shaky.

• JohnBellyful says:

Montreal’s defence might suffer but that comes with growing pains. Gill wasn’t going to be around next season, so now is the time to see what kind of defence corps the team has by giving the remaining players more experience. It will also give staff additional time to see if Campoli and Kaberle have a future with the team, should they require more evidence.

48. javaman says:

Just wanted to say THANKS to Hal Gill. A helluva penalty killer and a good guy in the room, but business is business and the Habs made a good deal for themselves.

BTW, does anybody remember Terry Harper from the 50′s-60′s? HG kind of reminds me of Terry.

49. billylove says:

IMO, the bottom line on this deal is a + for Habs. Gill is on the downward arc and the Preds are hoping he has one more playoff run in him. I wouldn’t however call it a – for the Preds because they are a team on the rise, will make the playoffs and if Gill plays steady in the playoffs they may surprise a lot of people. Typical deadline deal. Preds looking for immediate help, Habs looking for longer term help. We shall see!

50. 24moreCups says:

Wow, just came and was surprised to see this, I think PG got a lot more for Gill then I thought he would. I was thinking maybe a 3rd straight up.

I like Gill and everything he’s done with the team, really good guy and wish him all the best.

Just heard a clip of a interview with Blake Geoffrion and he seems really happy to be coming to Montreal a lot of family history here and his family are excited for him to come here as well.

51. twilighthours says:

Really shocked at the return PG got on gill. I was expecting so much less. A low 2nd rounder and a decent prospect is a fantastic deal.

Gill was great up until this year. But I’ll be cheering for Nashville come playoff time.

Only downside is that we now have to watch more of kaberle or campoli for the rest of the year

52. P-Habby says:

I don’t know if this has been mentioned, but Gill was an assistant captain. With Gionta still out, will they give Cole the 3rd A? He certainly deserves it!!!!

53. Hobie Hansen says:

You have to love the transformation that is going on. So far we’ve lost a smurf and gotten rid of the friendly giant. So far so good!

• habs03 says:

Told ya Gauthier was slowly making the team bigger (DD/and Gio are keepers tho). I expect Gauthier will have a clear idea of where Markov is by end of the season, and we’ll fix our D for next year.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I agree that DD and Gio are keepers! Gionta is still a good player and he is scrappy.

Cammalleri offers nothing 5 on 5. He can’t skate with the puck, he can’t pass. He does have a lethal shot and on the right line he can be awesome but there were just too many small forwards on the Canadiens and they could get nothing going.

Now with Borque, Pacioretty, Kostitsyn and Cole we can at least score off the rush and cycle and dump pucks in the corner and come up with them.

We’re getting there.

• It’s actually starting to look like this could be a team that will be vastly improved next year with a D that includes Subban in his third year, a leader in Gorges, Emelin and Diaz back with a full year’s experience, and possibly, hopefully, Markov. With added size and speed up front, and with Gomez hopefully parked in Hamilton we’ll have the $ to lock up Subban, Price and even Pax for years to come and still be able to dabble in the FA pool. And an almost certain top 10, even 5, first round pick. Things could be worse.

54. Mustang says:

Many people are saying we should have done this, we should have done that, we should have got this guy or that guy. I get the feeling that many of you don’t have a clue because you have never been involved in any sort of negotiations. Both sides of the table have their wish list but both sides of the table have to be satisified with what the other party is offering before a deal can be made. I don’t like many of PG’s deals and I really liked Hal Gill but he is a UFA. If he had not been dealt, he most probably would have walked away at the end of the season and we wouldn’t have received anything in return.