Hail, hail, the gang’s all here

AUDIO, courtesy of the Team 990′s Andie Bennett: Spacek | Gorges | Gomez | Cammalleri | Martin

The Canadiens had a perfect attendance record for practice this morning in Brossard as defencemen Josh Gorges and Jaroslav Spacek and forward Scott Gomz all returned to practice.

Gomez is likely to return to action after missing two games. He’s practicing on a line with Max Pacioretty and Brian Gionta. But Spacek will probably take some time to recover from a minor upper-body injury. He was the spare defencerman at practice, working alongside Dustin Boyd.

Andrei Kostitsyn was on a line with Jeff Halpern and either Tom Pyatt or Maxim Lapierre while Lars Eller is between Benoit Pouliot and Mathieu Darche.

The Canadiens are home to Philadelphia tomorrow and play Boston Thursday before heading out on the road for seven games.

1. habs365 says:

Don’t bet you’re pay check on it

2. Lancer says:

you just put a big smile on my face–thanks!

3. ctony says:

I can’t believe it’s better for Glendale to give up that much money instead of using the place for concerts, tractor pulls, and other non-hockey events.

4. Bill says:

At the risk of inflaming the JM Acolytes … is it really necessary to play Moen on the TOP LINE? He’s the perfect third-line winger. Kostitsyn has to play with Pleks, he’s arguably the most talented winger they’ve got. And not exactly a shrimp. Is Martin using Carbonneau’s Random Line Generator? (And I liked Carbonneau).

Full Breezer 4 Life

5. habs365 says:

He was a good player in his day…those days are behind him…on pace for 22 points…why waste more money…we have enough players like that now…..

6. Say Ash says:

It’s nice to see McGuire’s insight has been consistent over the years.

7. CanadienBoy says:

I for one like what Boudreau did for managing OV well ,but last year playoff left a really bad taste

8. CanadienBoy says:

Rolston is done as my wife roast beef ,witch is well done trust me his done

9. CanadienBoy says:

The funny part is some writers think Mcguire could be in the running for a Gm job somewhere.

10. cautiousoptimist says:

Question for the capologists out there: if we pick up Rolston on re-rentry waivers, are the Devils on the hook for half his salary (and cap hit) for the rest of his contract, or just for this year?

At 2.5M per year, with just one more year left on his contract and Markov’s LTIR cap space, I might give him a shot.  He’s old, but he’s big, he’s used to a defensive system in NJ, and he scored 20 goals last year on a team that can’t score.  Before joining NJ two years ago he scored 30+ goals three years in a row.  And man, how great would these lines look — finally, a proper top nine, and a shutdown line that can skate with anyone:

AK-Pleks-Cammy

Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta

Pouliot-Eller-Rolston

Lapierre-Halpern-Moen/Darche/Pyatt

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  11. HugeHabsFan says:

Awww that IS awesome!  I’ll never forget when my daughter was 2 (she’s now 11) and would sit and chant GO HABS GO!  Such pride eh?  Now she’s a Huge Habs Fan (no pun intended, honest) and is a hockey player herself!  Maybe one day you’ll get to watch your baby girl play too! :o)

………..

“Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!”

I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

Cammalleri: “I almost feel bad for a guy who plays an NHL career without experiencing what it’s like to be a Montreal Canadien”.

12. RJB says:

Pierre McGuire pulls a Darren Pang, calling the Price pick “right off the reservation”. Interesting choice of words, but I don’t think Pierre meant it in a negative way!

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
    - Bilbo Baggins

13. Matt_in_TO says:

That negative amount will cover the loses for the first year.  Deal won’t look too sweet a few years from now.  I can’t believe the city of Glendale is that desperate to keep the team there but I guess it’s better than having an arena that’s going to be on the books for the next 23 years empty.

I wonder what Charles Wong is going to try and pull now that this has happened or what’s going to happen in Atlanta.

- In Price We Trust

That’s why it wont happen. Nor will they trade Gomez. What else would we bitch about?

15. LA Loyalist says:

Shootouts are undeniably exciting, but not necessarily representative of the game.

Sometimes there are excellent games that should be ties, an honorable outcome.

What if we had no overtime, but when there is a tie game, the home team gets to pick: tie or shoot-out?

It would add a little drama instead of the totally boring O/T that no one really wants to play.

Thots?

Like you trying to re-write Koivu into the current Habs line-up?

As for the past two years. We had to suffer? What about Price? But what doesn’t kill you…..

17. LA Loyalist says:

That’s wonderful – have your wife take a picture – you’ll treasure it, it goes fast.

18. LA Loyalist says:

What do you think about Boudreau in Washington?

Locally they seem more concerned about getting a playoff goalie. Whatch y’all think?

19. LA Loyalist says:

G*d you guys are like Winston Smith in 1984 who’s day-job is to re-write history to suit the politics of the moment.

Yeah Price has turned out great. Damn lucky. Gainey should have provided a veteran for him to play behind until he was ready and we wouldn’t have had to suffer the past two years.

20. Matt_in_TO says:

I would bet the Sens as well.  McLean will be fired in about March.  Isles are a mess so who knows.  Calgary will have to clean house completely and anyone named Sutter will be gone so who knows.  Ronnie Wilson for some strange reason is bullet-proof.

- In Price We Trust

21. olematelot says:

You don’t find a penalty shot exciting! hmmmm

22. Dennis says:

Thanks, Drive for 25. McGuire seemed to think areas other than goalie were needed. Just goes to show that these guys often are just blowing smoke. I just thought this would be a really fun flashback video to watch for Habs fans. I know it put a smile on my face.

23. ctony says:

For those still thinking about relocating an NHL team to QC
    or Winnipeg, check out what Glendale coughed up to keep the Yotes.

Glendale offers Coyotes a sweet deal

According to Paul Friesen from the Winnipeg Sun, Hulsizer
    paid $170 million for the team, less $100 million (to sell the parking rights
    back to the city), less $97 million (in subsidies over five and half years for
    him to run the arena), plus $6 million per year to rent the arena.  Yep, that makes the team worth NEGATIVE $27
    million excluding rent.

If nothing else, I suppose this proves that NHL teams in
    non-traditional markets are worthless.  The
    Nordiques Nation could have bought a team for the cost of renting 22 buses and
    buying those tickets to the Islanders/Thrashers game.

24. Mattyleg says:

Oh, that. Right, they don’t count THAT way.

But in all other ways, they still count. Even for ‘loser’ points. Beh.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

25. drivefor25 says:

Thanks for uploading this. Just loved it when McGuire said Carey Price was such a bad fit for the Canadiens LOL! D’you suppose Bob Gainey knows a bit more about hockey than Pierre McGuire?

Fan since ’71

26. Lazarus_taxa says:

Its true man, professional hockey coaches have a lot to learn from journalist hacks.  What a joke.  The Habs (the most professional, storied, historic and victorious Hockey franchise in the world) are 3rd in the east.  I think JM knows a lot more than you or your referenced jokester.

HIO is my favourite hockey site.  I learn a lot from coming here and reading insightful posts and links.  Then there are threads like this one that seem to be growing in number lately.  Why does everyone bypass the facts and bash JM WITH NO BASIS?  You even went as far as referencing your COMPLETELY OBVIOUS SENTENCE.  Since you know soooo much more than JM about coaching and hockey and you seem to be a fly on the wall during coach meetings and JM decision making, why don’t you tell me what he said to the players that he mis-managed?  How, specifically, has he failed at “managing” players?  From a coaching perspective, how does one “manage” an NHL player to begin with?  It seems easy to just throw these words around making it all sound so simple, how about YOU EXPLAIN what you think he is doing wrong from a “player management” standpoint?  What coaching tactics has he used off the ice that has led to this mis-management?  How about during practice?  What role do Kirk Muller and Perry Pearn play in this perceived failure?  Are they to blame too?  Please allow those that are BLINDED BY THE TEAM’S SUCCESS over JM’s short tenure into this privileged world of hidden failure.  It sounds serious and I am very interested to know…..

27. Say Ash says:

Nice frosted highlights.

28. red1150 says:

Then immediately re-sign him to a 4-year 25 million contract…

29. petrov14 says:

Also, thank-you for selecting the ‘open in new window’ option.  ;)

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.

30. geo_habsgo says:

Hm I could be mistaken I often am, but isnt there like a new thing this season that if it comes down to two teams making the playoffs that are tied in points, shootout wins will be subtracted from the total to break the tie? Thats what I meant so i guess i misrepresented it when i said that shootout wins don’t matter. They don’t count in the event of an end of season tie.

31. Dennis says:

Thought you might like to re-live that time when Montreal chose a young goalie named Price. http://dennis-kane.com/for-your-viewing-pleasure-habs-choose-a-young-goalie/

32. CanadienBoy says:

Who gone a be the first teams to  fire it coach ? Let see Sen,Devil ,Ils ,Laff ,Calgary my bet go for the Sen.. to many good players not producing or buying into the system for too long .

33. Chuck says:

Centre Hice: Sainte Flanelle, illustrated history: 1935-36

Think before you post. The internet is forever, and that’s a awfully long time to look like a knob.

34. Mattyleg says:

As Sholi said below, leave him for the Laffs. They love expensive, washed-up players.

Wouldn’t surprise me one bit to see Burkie running after him, tongue lolling.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

35. Chorske says:

“BRIAN WALTER”

(Summit inside joke)

36. A. Berke says:

If I remember correctly, wearing the white jerseys to home games was introduced about the same time as the first NHL expansion (circa 1970) possibly to show the newcomer audiences the colours of the other teams.

But you’re right, no one in Montreal supported that change to white home uniforms.

Ali B.

37. Mattyleg says:

Entertainment value, shmentertainment vaiue.

If you want entertainment, go to the circus. If you want hockey…

And what ‘new rule’? Shootout wins still count, Geo.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

38. red1150 says:

Any thoughts on picking up a guy like Brian Rolston on re-entry waivers? Given he is definitely past his prime, he has good size and could be a cheap pickup for a top-six forward to get us through the season.  We could use a guy like him in front of the net. We have some cap room to play with, so 2.5mil wouldn’t be a huge hit.

39. Mattyleg says:

Haaaaa!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

40. A. Berke says:

Coaching in the NHL is about both coaching and managing players”.

Ken Warren, Ottawa Citizen (from an article re Kovalev’s demotion to 4th line)

CAN SOMEONE UP IN MTL TELL & EXPLAIN THIS TO JM PLEASE?

Ali B.

41. tony d says:

Nice…. you’ve raised her well.

42. HabFarmer says:

Not a big fan of the shootout either.  But what I hate more is the loser point.  If we have to have the shootout then whether you win in regular, OT or shootout, you get all the points – no runner up points.

A man’s attitude… a man’s attitude goes some ways. The way his life will be. Is that somethin’ you agree with?

Haha… Hilarious!

44. geo_habsgo says:

No need if MaxPac pans out and I think he will this year. We can do better than Rolston if we are to move beyond the talent within the organization.

45. geo_habsgo says:

If you read my post you’d see that I said that I didn’t necessarily like the shootout but that I can’t deny its entertainment value after a stalemate match. Anyways, shootouts have gone down this season with the introduction of the new rule and the Habs haven’t been in one at all so there isn’t much reason for us to complain is there?

Wins in the shootout don’t even count anymore so it is hardly an issue. As long as Bettman is in charge the shootout isn’t going anywhere..

46. Bash says:

Four balanced lines for these two physical games?  Halpern will create chances for AK and this could be a physical combination. He can always move players around and shorten the bench if are down late in the game.

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

47. G-Man says:

Shoot outs are a crap gimmick for a bush league. Want a winner? Play the f$%king game!

48. Say Ash says:

Yeah, that’s the first thing I thought. Sure hope it was the blank jersey.

49. geo_habsgo says:

But in a league with such parity any guy can score against any goalie and any time? No? :p

50. otter649 says:

Boudreau’s team in the last 3 playoffs have lost three game sevens on HOME ice (Habs-Pens-Flyers)……..

51. geo_habsgo says:

All I know is that when I pay big bucks to go to a game at the Bell and our boys go into overtime I always hope for the shootout. It does add an element of excitement in the arena. The collective cheers and groans of the crowd for a shot that goes in or misses is crazy. This doesnt mean that I think the shootout is a good thing but it certainly means I got my money’s worth in a tie game.

52. habs-hampton says:

it used to be exciting, when there were only a handful all year in the league. Back in the day, if a guy got a penalty shot, he earned it.