Hail, hail, the gang’s all here

AUDIO, courtesy of the Team 990’s Andie Bennett: Spacek | Gorges | Gomez | Cammalleri | Martin

The Canadiens had a perfect attendance record for practice this morning in Brossard as defencemen Josh Gorges and Jaroslav Spacek and forward Scott Gomz all returned to practice.

Gomez is likely to return to action after missing two games. He’s practicing on a line with Max Pacioretty and Brian Gionta. But Spacek will probably take some time to recover from a minor upper-body injury. He was the spare defencerman at practice, working alongside Dustin Boyd.

Andrei Kostitsyn was on a line with Jeff Halpern and either Tom Pyatt or Maxim Lapierre while Lars Eller is between Benoit Pouliot and Mathieu Darche.

The Canadiens are home to Philadelphia tomorrow and play Boston Thursday before heading out on the road for seven games.

1. otter649 says:

Boudreau’s team in the last 3 playoffs have lost three game sevens on HOME ice (Habs-Pens-Flyers)……..

2. otter649 says:

When there was talk that Scotty Bowman was going to take over/run The Leafs a few years back before Brian Burke got hired supposely Maguire was part of Bowman’s management team with Maguire asst GM or GM ? as hearing Maguire talk about coach Craig Ramsey that if Bowman/Maguire got The Leaf job they would have hired Ramsey as head coach………

3. habs365 says:

when they let a team like the leafs beat them…that concerns me coming up against philly…and believe me philly haven’t forgot…the Habs shut them out…I hope they can do it again.

4. oshawahabsfan says:

Did you happen to miss the game where we shut them out at home? I don’t see the need for worry. As long as they play they will handle Philly quite well

5. habs365 says:

Habs had better come to play 60-minutes…philly is big,tough,mean and can score…I’m already feeling sorry for price.

6. samTHEman says:

Going to be at practice tomorrow in Brossard. It’s at 10:30. Flyers “matinee practice” to be determined. They won’t say the time. I’m guessing it’s to avoid problems with crazy fansol. Give them the finger by the glass and hope they look (mainly briere, carcillo)

Dude. He’s no Guy Lafleur. He’s not even Alexei Kovalev.

Maybe he gets a standing O. Maybe. Possibly a polite round of applause. More than likely it’ll be business as usual. However, I can see the crowd offer up a collective, “Sak-who?”

Even Kovalev is getting booed these days and he was far more popular than Koivu was.

You don’t live in Montreal right? You probably don’t speak French either. Believe me when I tell you that amongst Montrealers Koivu elicits more responses of “don’t miss him” rather than “wish he was back.” In fact I have yet to hear one francophone say they miss Koivu. Maybe if he tried a few words of broken French in public, but he was apparently too classy for that. He spent how many years living in Montreal? He’s no Bob Gainey or Larry Robinson either.

Now, Halak on the other hand. He did more in one season than Koivu did in 13 years as a Hab. Now, don’t get me wrong. It wasn’t Saku’s fault. The team was mis-managed to hell during his tenure. He was, IMHHO, handed the captaincy way to early in his career. He was expected to be a 1st line centre when he was at best a 2nd line one. Nevertheless, for all his shortcomings as a Hab, he was a failure in most Habs fans eyes and is nowhere near their hearts. You have to win a Cup to be in that cushy zone, either that or talk the talk, en francais.

But we’ll see. The Bell Centre crowd are a weird and finicky bunch. They love grandstanding so you never know.

8. LA Loyalist says:

I see Kopitar quite a bit out here in Lost Angeles and he is a stud. Powerful skater. I wish we could have him AND Price.

9. LA Loyalist says:

The hockey team will be pulling tractors between periods. Didn’t you hear?

10. LA Loyalist says:

Buy her a meat thermometer for Christmas.

Or. Take it out early and let it sit for 20 minutes which lets the juices travel back to the outside of the roast.

And sear is first on the outside to seal in the juices and make that nice black crust.

Also check your oven. Most home ovens are inaccurate.

Now I’m hungry. Crap.

11. LA Loyalist says:

boy, that sucks.

12. LA Loyalist says:

Jan 22nd. Bell Center. I think the fans will show Koivu their opinion very clearly.

13. LA Loyalist says:

Gainey does get credit for Price. He just didn’t have to do it the hard way.

14. VancouverHab says:

Looks good to me.

15. VancouverHab says:

If he killed P.K.’s élan vital then P.K. would be, you know…. dead.

16. Mattyleg says:
    Check this out for a CBC news headline: “Vancouver gang violence blamed
    on power vacuum.” Dyson? Hoover? They’ll stop at NOTHING to clean up
    those streets!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

My hope is the Coyotes become a middling team, stuck around 16th place, vying for the last play-off or just on the outside looking in, for a few years.

I still can’t believe they’re thinking about starting a franchise in Las Vegas.

Who knows. Maybe with climate change and the impending ice-age my concerns will be moot and kids in Arizona will be going to the out doors skating rink to play pick up hockey starting around 2020.

18. habs365 says:

boing007 I think HardHabits got ya

19. MTLForever says:

don’t let fleury catch price in allstar voting :P!

20. DearyLeary says:

Honestly, the only player (aside from the top three Crosby, Ryan, and J. Johnson) that we passed over that I might want on our team is Kopitar.  A lot of busts out of that draft, and Price is looking like the best pick after Crosby.

Something you seem to be all to familiar with.

22. boing007 says:

Richard R

Coach Martin is killing PK Subban’s élan vital. He must go before he wreaks irreparable damage to PK’s psyche.

23. habs365 says:

I guess JM knows the team best…if it was mine…this is how it would look

1. Cammy – Pleks – Kostitsyn

2. Pacioretty/Pouliot – Gomez – Gionta

3. Pacioretty/Pouliot – Halpern – Darche

4. Moen – Eller – Lapierre

Note: if Pacioretty does good on the 2nd line after he’s had a few games…leave him there…if not… he switches with pouliot and goes to the 3rd line. either way I think we would have three pretty good lines with more consistency…use to playing together.

24. geo_habsgo says:

I cringed when he made that comparison especially in his usual super articulate way. Moen is a good player when he is used properly and has the ability to pop a few in once in a while but continuing to play him on the top line is ridiculous. Next thing we know, JM is going to have gill on the top powerplay pairing with Gorges.

25. subdoxastic says:

So to be clear, when price struggled that responsibility was on Gainey, but now that Price is doing well, Gainey isnt responsible/gets no credit; instead it’s just luck?

26. Say Ash says:

It sounds like you’re channeling Moen himself.

The dilemma is that if AK gets top line minutes he’ll get numbers that would justify a raise. Gomez’ poor production is all part of a plan to resign him after his contract is up for the league minimum.

28. GrimJim says:

The problem is Glendale Arena is in direct competition with US Airways Arena (the Suns’ home) in downtown Phoenix for non-hockey events. I looked up the event calendars on their websites and between Dec1 and the end of May Glendale is booked 14 times, however the downtown arena is booked 18 times between now and March. It’s not like the Bell Centre which is the most used arena venue in North America (I heard that somewhere).

29. Bugs says:

I like how Halak’s name comes up.

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

30. habs365 says:

Martin don’t like lines that do well…he’d have no one in the pressbox.

31. habsfan0 says:

…and Benoit Pouliot was selected 4th,immediately ahead of Price!

32. habs365 says:

Is that what mr.martin said…if not forget it…He’s the Boss……..

33. Bugs says:

Uhh, definitely, if you look at succesful teams like, uhh, well, look at Philadelphia, I mean, not the top line of Brière, but the one with Giroux, you have Powe on that line, so definitely, sometimes, uhh, having a big man on the line, uhh, brings energy and is a strong presence on the line and, uhh, that definitely can help a hockey club.

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

34. habs365 says:

Released for two reasons…money against cap…and he’s not playing good…another pressbox player for the Habs.

35. habs365 says:

Don’t bet you’re pay check on it

36. Lancer says:

you just put a big smile on my face–thanks!

37. ctony says:

I can’t believe it’s better for Glendale to give up that much money instead of using the place for concerts, tractor pulls, and other non-hockey events.

38. Bill says:

At the risk of inflaming the JM Acolytes … is it really necessary to play Moen on the TOP LINE? He’s the perfect third-line winger. Kostitsyn has to play with Pleks, he’s arguably the most talented winger they’ve got. And not exactly a shrimp. Is Martin using Carbonneau’s Random Line Generator? (And I liked Carbonneau).

Full Breezer 4 Life

39. habs365 says:

He was a good player in his day…those days are behind him…on pace for 22 points…why waste more money…we have enough players like that now…..

40. Say Ash says:

It’s nice to see McGuire’s insight has been consistent over the years.

41. CanadienBoy says:

I for one like what Boudreau did for managing OV well ,but last year playoff left a really bad taste

42. CanadienBoy says:

Rolston is done as my wife roast beef ,witch is well done trust me his done

43. CanadienBoy says:

The funny part is some writers think Mcguire could be in the running for a Gm job somewhere.

44. cautiousoptimist says:

Question for the capologists out there: if we pick up Rolston on re-rentry waivers, are the Devils on the hook for half his salary (and cap hit) for the rest of his contract, or just for this year?

At 2.5M per year, with just one more year left on his contract and Markov’s LTIR cap space, I might give him a shot.  He’s old, but he’s big, he’s used to a defensive system in NJ, and he scored 20 goals last year on a team that can’t score.  Before joining NJ two years ago he scored 30+ goals three years in a row.  And man, how great would these lines look — finally, a proper top nine, and a shutdown line that can skate with anyone:

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  45. HugeHabsFan says:

Awww that IS awesome!  I’ll never forget when my daughter was 2 (she’s now 11) and would sit and chant GO HABS GO!  Such pride eh?  Now she’s a Huge Habs Fan (no pun intended, honest) and is a hockey player herself!  Maybe one day you’ll get to watch your baby girl play too! :o)

“Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!”

Cammalleri: “I almost feel bad for a guy who plays an NHL career without experiencing what it’s like to be a Montreal Canadien”.

46. RJB says:

Pierre McGuire pulls a Darren Pang, calling the Price pick “right off the reservation”. Interesting choice of words, but I don’t think Pierre meant it in a negative way!

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
    – Bilbo Baggins

47. Matt_in_TO says:

That negative amount will cover the loses for the first year.  Deal won’t look too sweet a few years from now.  I can’t believe the city of Glendale is that desperate to keep the team there but I guess it’s better than having an arena that’s going to be on the books for the next 23 years empty.

I wonder what Charles Wong is going to try and pull now that this has happened or what’s going to happen in Atlanta.

– In Price We Trust

That’s why it wont happen. Nor will they trade Gomez. What else would we bitch about?

49. LA Loyalist says:

Shootouts are undeniably exciting, but not necessarily representative of the game.

Sometimes there are excellent games that should be ties, an honorable outcome.

What if we had no overtime, but when there is a tie game, the home team gets to pick: tie or shoot-out?

It would add a little drama instead of the totally boring O/T that no one really wants to play.

Like you trying to re-write Koivu into the current Habs line-up?

As for the past two years. We had to suffer? What about Price? But what doesn’t kill you…..

51. LA Loyalist says:

That’s wonderful – have your wife take a picture – you’ll treasure it, it goes fast.

52. LA Loyalist says:

What do you think about Boudreau in Washington?

Locally they seem more concerned about getting a playoff goalie. Whatch y’all think?

53. LA Loyalist says:

G*d you guys are like Winston Smith in 1984 who’s day-job is to re-write history to suit the politics of the moment.

Yeah Price has turned out great. Damn lucky. Gainey should have provided a veteran for him to play behind until he was ready and we wouldn’t have had to suffer the past two years.