Hail, hail, the gang’s all here

AUDIO, courtesy of the Team 990′s Andie Bennett: Spacek | Gorges | Gomez | Cammalleri | Martin

The Canadiens had a perfect attendance record for practice this morning in Brossard as defencemen Josh Gorges and Jaroslav Spacek and forward Scott Gomz all returned to practice.

Gomez is likely to return to action after missing two games. He’s practicing on a line with Max Pacioretty and Brian Gionta. But Spacek will probably take some time to recover from a minor upper-body injury. He was the spare defencerman at practice, working alongside Dustin Boyd.

Andrei Kostitsyn was on a line with Jeff Halpern and either Tom Pyatt or Maxim Lapierre while Lars Eller is between Benoit Pouliot and Mathieu Darche.

The Canadiens are home to Philadelphia tomorrow and play Boston Thursday before heading out on the road for seven games.

1. otter649 says:

When there was talk that Scotty Bowman was going to take over/run The Leafs a few years back before Brian Burke got hired supposely Maguire was part of Bowman’s management team with Maguire asst GM or GM ? as hearing Maguire talk about coach Craig Ramsey that if Bowman/Maguire got The Leaf job they would have hired Ramsey as head coach………

2. habs-hampton says:

Who’s name was on the sweater?  ;)

3. Say Ash says:

Listen to this:

My wife called me at work to tell me that my two-year-old daughter was rummaging through the closet and dug up one of my Habs jerseys. She held it up and yelled out “Dada!”

Life is good.

4. habs365 says:

when they let a team like the leafs beat them…that concerns me coming up against philly…and believe me philly haven’t forgot…the Habs shut them out…I hope they can do it again.

5. Mattyleg says:

I guess it bugs me because it’s such a latent ‘marketing’ ploy. Which I hate in general, and detest in hockey.

Also, it clearly illustrates two things:

- that the announcers don’t know enough about the game that they say dumb things like that.

and/or

- that the announcers are leaned on so heavily by the league to say dumb things things like that.

6. Habs Fan in LeafLand says:

I’m so up on the Gomez/Gionta/Pacioretty line; really think that’s going to be good for Gomez especially.

I’m not a fan of having Kostitsyn play with Lappy and Halpy… I think he should go back with Cammellari and Pleks. Being a shooter, he needs someone to set him up. Cammy opens up space for him, while he does the same for Cammy.

7. oshawahabsfan says:

Did you happen to miss the game where we shut them out at home? I don’t see the need for worry. As long as they play they will handle Philly quite well

8. Mattyleg says:

I wasn’t even aware that we’d hopped on that circus-wagon.

And I don’t agree that the big dumb-looking bear is cool. And those faux-vintage jerseys (Minn and Pitt for example) are faux.

Sorry. Think I’m grumpy today.

9. shiram says:

While I agree with that, I dont see it as being something put into the rules.

10. Say Ash says:

when certain guys are awarded a penalty shot, I wish you could opt for a power play instead

11. shiram says:

Well they do have to “sell” the show on the ice, so they will emphasize the penalty/shootout, also because its kinda rare to see.

Dont know why it would bug you so much though.

12. Max_a_million says:

Actually all of the NFL teams wear throwback jerseys all of the time.  They are certainly not turning back the opportunity to make money selling 3rd, 4th, or 5th jerseys.

Our team just happens to have the worst 3rd, 4th, and 5th jerseys in the history of such things.

The Burins 3rd jersey is really cool.

Funny my girlfriend saw the Wild last week, and asked “what team dresses like Christmas trees?”, and “are they the Minnesota Christmas Trees” …

Traditional Darks do look better!

13. habs365 says:

Habs had better come to play 60-minutes…philly is big,tough,mean and can score…I’m already feeling sorry for price.

14. Lancer says:

leave it to Jacques Martin to screw up good scoring lines; leave ak46 with pleks and cammy–put halpern back between darche and pouliot –2nd line is good. Where did this guy learn to coach?

moen is lost on the first 2 lines.

15. Mattyleg says:

Yes, I see that. Now.

But my other points stand!

16. samTHEman says:

Going to be at practice tomorrow in Brossard. It’s at 10:30. Flyers “matinee practice” to be determined. They won’t say the time. I’m guessing it’s to avoid problems with crazy fansol. Give them the finger by the glass and hope they look (mainly briere, carcillo)

17. Mattyleg says:

It bugs the HELL out of me when it comes to a penalty shot (or a shootout) and the announcers say “here we go, the most exciting play in hockey.”

They seem to do it all the time. Why? How many ‘plays’ are there in hockey?? And no, it’s really not that exciting!

18. Mattyleg says:

Ha! Absofreakin’lutely!

(because you know they will…)

19. sprague cleghorn says:

Actually, it was a return to how it was back in the 50′s – 60′s, when the home team always wore the the darker (coloured) uniform. When the switch was made to home whites,  fans in Montreal were particularly ticked that they didn’t get to see the Habs in the classic Tricoleur.  Whenever there were special nights at the Forum, the Habs would get permission from the league to wear the bleu-blanc-rouge, and Claude Mouton would introduce them as wearing their “propre” uniforms.  And that uniform shouldn’t have the dopey NHL logo on it.

20. sholi2000.com says:

I give that a minus sign.  But it doesn’t surprise me that it’s on yahoo.

They Call Me Shane

21. petrov14 says:

3rd Jerseys started in 95-96 http://www.nhluniforms.com/1995-96.html.

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.

22. PeterD says:

It may be that JM wants Moen on the lline with Plex and Cammi to keep an eye on them against Philly and Bruins…A little toughness and protection would help open some ice for these guys…the last thing we need is Plex or Cammi getting mugged in the next couple of games.

Other than Toronto, who has more goons on the ice than Phily and Boston?

Dude. He’s no Guy Lafleur. He’s not even Alexei Kovalev.

Maybe he gets a standing O. Maybe. Possibly a polite round of applause. More than likely it’ll be business as usual. However, I can see the crowd offer up a collective, “Sak-who?”

Even Kovalev is getting booed these days and he was far more popular than Koivu was.

You don’t live in Montreal right? You probably don’t speak French either. Believe me when I tell you that amongst Montrealers Koivu elicits more responses of “don’t miss him” rather than “wish he was back.” In fact I have yet to hear one francophone say they miss Koivu. Maybe if he tried a few words of broken French in public, but he was apparently too classy for that. He spent how many years living in Montreal? He’s no Bob Gainey or Larry Robinson either.

Now, Halak on the other hand. He did more in one season than Koivu did in 13 years as a Hab. Now, don’t get me wrong. It wasn’t Saku’s fault. The team was mis-managed to hell during his tenure. He was, IMHHO, handed the captaincy way to early in his career. He was expected to be a 1st line centre when he was at best a 2nd line one. Nevertheless, for all his shortcomings as a Hab, he was a failure in most Habs fans eyes and is nowhere near their hearts. You have to win a Cup to be in that cushy zone, either that or talk the talk, en francais.

But we’ll see. The Bell Centre crowd are a weird and finicky bunch. They love grandstanding so you never know.

24. sholi2000.com says:

Let the Leafs sign him.

They Call Me Shane

25. Natrous says:

Rolston was just released by the Devils, in an effort to save money against the cap. Thing is, the only way they save money with a 35+ year old’s contract is if someone picks him up at half price…

Enter Montreal! We could use a 20+ goal scorer with experience, at ~2.5M cap hit!! C’mon PG, make the call!!

I could see him with Gionta and Gomez, with some reference in line name to ex-Devils (Saints perhaps?)..

26. petrov14 says:

Ahhhh touche, good point.

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.

27. LA Loyalist says:

I see Kopitar quite a bit out here in Lost Angeles and he is a stud. Powerful skater. I wish we could have him AND Price.

28. petrov14 says:

Thats how I would roll……I say as i sit in frony of my PC, slumped back in my chair, with chip crumbs all over my chest, slack jawed expression on my face. Or “in my amateur opinion” ;)

But seriously yea, those lines seem to make the most sence.

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.

29. LA Loyalist says:

The hockey team will be pulling tractors between periods. Didn’t you hear?

30. Mattyleg says:

The change in colour came before the 3rd-jersey fiasco.

What a pile of utter nonsense.

Does anyone see Barcelona or Liverpool or the Dallas Cowboys playing in shirts with angry cartoon animals on them three times per year?

No? There’s a reason for that…

31. LA Loyalist says:

Buy her a meat thermometer for Christmas.

Or. Take it out early and let it sit for 20 minutes which lets the juices travel back to the outside of the roast.

And sear is first on the outside to seal in the juices and make that nice black crust.

Also check your oven. Most home ovens are inaccurate.

Now I’m hungry. Crap.

32. Mattyleg says:

It has to do with the fact that people don’t care about the lovely colours of the opposition, and would rather see their team in their traditional colours than in boring white.

When I was growing up, I was always annoyed that I could only see the classic red jersey on TV at away games.

I like it like this now. Who cares about seeing San Jose in their god-awful teal, or that gaudy Philly-orange?

Gimme the bleu-blanc-ROUGE anyday.

33. LA Loyalist says:

boy, that sucks.

34. petrov14 says:

So awesome! My faves were KovyII and Toskala.

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.

35. LA Loyalist says:

Jan 22nd. Bell Center. I think the fans will show Koivu their opinion very clearly.

36. LA Loyalist says:

Gainey does get credit for Price. He just didn’t have to do it the hard way.

37. Mattyleg says:

Mind you, that Kaberle one could have been substituted for Gomez… ;-)

38. petrov14 says:

I think it had to do with all those 3rd jerseys being coloured.

So when you went on the road you would need dark jerseys and if you were playing a team using 3rd jerseys you needed to bring whites as well.

It easyer as a road team to travel with just whites.

But….I could be mistaken as well. But thats what i’ve been lead to believe.

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.

39. Chorske says:

The shoelace one was brilliant. That and Kaberle.

40. habsfan0 says:

I’m sure this topic has been covered before,but can anybody tell me why Bettman decided to have NHL home teams wear their dark(coloured)jerseys,while visitors wear white.It seems to me that season ticket holders would much rather see the different colours of visiting teams’ sweaters rather than always seeing them in boring white no matter who the visiting team was.The only explanation I can come up with,is that Bettman wants to emulate everything about the NFL where this is the norm as well.Witness the NHL logo that all NHL sweaters display at the base of the neck,similar to the NFL logo that all NFL sweaters have. This is a Bettman initiative as well.

41. shiram says:

I read his contract was terminated for familly reasons, so make of that what you want.

Tampa Bay, Washington, Toronto… they all could use him.

42. VancouverHab says:

Looks good to me.

43. VancouverHab says:

If he killed P.K.’s élan vital then P.K. would be, you know…. dead.

44. Mattyleg says:
    Ha!!
    Check this out for a CBC news headline: “Vancouver gang violence blamed
    on power vacuum.” Dyson? Hoover? They’ll stop at NOTHING to clean up
    those streets!

45. J_P says:

Thanks for the link! Really funny piece.  I especially liked the one about Ryan Miller.

46. Mattyleg says:

Haha!

That’s two actual out-loud-laughs in a row for DGB!

Thanks for that!

47. thorandresson says:

That’s most likely what you’ll see tomorrow during the game, note there is no mention of where Pleks and Cammalleri are playing in practice (maybe they’re not there)

48. Mattyleg says:

Forget TB, how’s about Washington?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

My hope is the Coyotes become a middling team, stuck around 16th place, vying for the last play-off or just on the outside looking in, for a few years.

I still can’t believe they’re thinking about starting a franchise in Las Vegas.

Idiots.

Who knows. Maybe with climate change and the impending ice-age my concerns will be moot and kids in Arizona will be going to the out doors skating rink to play pick up hockey starting around 2020.

50. Chorske says:

But he’s only ever been an anchor when he has been OFF that line. It’s a bit chicken and egg, but it’s pretty clear he liked playing with Pleks and Cammy

51. habs365 says:

boing007 I think HardHabits got ya

52. MTLForever says:

don’t let fleury catch price in allstar voting :P!

53. Norm0770 says:

Yeah.  I’m not sure why Martin insists on putting Moen on one of the top two lines.  Cammalleri and Kostitsyn were doing great with Plekanec earlier in the year, why not reunites them?

54. punkster says:

Not if AK reverts to that slo-mo play of his again. He’s an anchor on that line when he’s not involved.

55. DearyLeary says:

Honestly, the only player (aside from the top three Crosby, Ryan, and J. Johnson) that we passed over that I might want on our team is Kopitar.  A lot of busts out of that draft, and Price is looking like the best pick after Crosby.

56. B says:

Gee, I guess life in the KHL is not all sunshine and lolly-pops compared to the NHL?

Something you seem to be all to familiar with.

58. boing007 says:

Richard R

Coach Martin is killing PK Subban’s élan vital. He must go before he wreaks irreparable damage to PK’s psyche.

59. SeriousFan09 says:

Down Goes Brown on notable events in the Shootout.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

60. lavie says:

The most agreed lines would be:

AK-Pleky-Cammi

MaxPac-Gomez-Gionta

Pouliot-Eller-Darche

Pyatt/Moen-Halpern-Lapierre

61. B says:

It would be perfect if Markov was healthy and at practice too, otherwise, it seems less than perfect attendance to me.

62. habs365 says:

I guess JM knows the team best…if it was mine…this is how it would look

1. Cammy – Pleks – Kostitsyn

2. Pacioretty/Pouliot – Gomez – Gionta

3. Pacioretty/Pouliot – Halpern – Darche

4. Moen – Eller – Lapierre

Note: if Pacioretty does good on the 2nd line after he’s had a few games…leave him there…if not… he switches with pouliot and goes to the 3rd line. either way I think we would have three pretty good lines with more consistency…use to playing together.

Great new video on Carey Price, aka Kesha.

Evgeni Nabokov has split and left the KHL.  He’ll need to pass waivers but Tampa could sure use him right now.  He might also be a very cheap pick-up for a playoff team that needs depth in goal.

65. geo_habsgo says:

I cringed when he made that comparison especially in his usual super articulate way. Moen is a good player when he is used properly and has the ability to pop a few in once in a while but continuing to play him on the top line is ridiculous. Next thing we know, JM is going to have gill on the top powerplay pairing with Gorges.

:’(

66. subdoxastic says:

So to be clear, when price struggled that responsibility was on Gainey, but now that Price is doing well, Gainey isnt responsible/gets no credit; instead it’s just luck?

67. Say Ash says:

It sounds like you’re channeling Moen himself.

The dilemma is that if AK gets top line minutes he’ll get numbers that would justify a raise. Gomez’ poor production is all part of a plan to resign him after his contract is up for the league minimum.

69. GrimJim says:

The problem is Glendale Arena is in direct competition with US Airways Arena (the Suns’ home) in downtown Phoenix for non-hockey events. I looked up the event calendars on their websites and between Dec1 and the end of May Glendale is booked 14 times, however the downtown arena is booked 18 times between now and March. It’s not like the Bell Centre which is the most used arena venue in North America (I heard that somewhere).

70. Bugs says:

I like how Halak’s name comes up.

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

71. habs365 says:

Martin don’t like lines that do well…he’d have no one in the pressbox.

72. habsfan0 says:

…and Benoit Pouliot was selected 4th,immediately ahead of Price!

73. habs365 says:

Is that what mr.martin said…if not forget it…He’s the Boss……..

74. Bugs says:

Uhh, definitely, if you look at succesful teams like, uhh, well, look at Philadelphia, I mean, not the top line of Brière, but the one with Giroux, you have Powe on that line, so definitely, sometimes, uhh, having a big man on the line, uhh, brings energy and is a strong presence on the line and, uhh, that definitely can help a hockey club.

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

75. habs365 says:

Released for two reasons…money against cap…and he’s not playing good…another pressbox player for the Habs.

76. Mattyleg says:

It’ll be interesting to see Patch’s assessment of Gomez after having described Desharnais as the best player he’s ever played with.

77. Max_a_million says:

Yes it will indeed …

Hey didn’t he play on a line with Gomez last year?

78. Mattyleg says:

JM’s ruining the kids!!!

(oh, wait, what thread is this…. oh.)

79. Max_a_million says:

Sorry I posted a reponse on the other thread … having thoughts does not make one a doom and gloomer.

Chillax punkster, I never came close to saying he ruins rookies.  No need to put words in my mouth, or go off half cocked.

When
    veterans make mistakes he doesn’t make changes to the lineup or ice
    time.  In drastic cases he makes them practice as if they might not
    play.

When young players make the same mistakes he puts them on the 4th line, takes away ice team, or scratches them.

I
    am sure it’s his method of getting players to perform to his standard,
    and he has lots of NHL wins to show for methods.  No complaints.  He
    does favor veterans though, and there is no credible argument against
    this.

With three youngters on defence, three now on offence, and
    his goalie more than almost a third of the lineup is extremely young
    and inexperienced.  I think he would not be comfortable with another
    youngster at the moment.

80. B says:

Well, since you brought it up and opened the door, what do you expect? I just seems odd that you would start this yet at the same time claim to be tired of it.

81. punkster says:

How long before the Doom and Gloomers from the other thread get here and start the “JM is ruining the kids” mantra?

Don’t mind me, I’m just tired of seeing that same old outdated, unsubstantiated comment being tossed about here.

82. punkster says:

He sticks his head up every once in a while to take a pot shot at JM. School break doesn’t start for a few days yet so I expect he’ll be around more often.

83. Praj12 says:

Moen is one of our biggest grinders on the ice, he does serve a purpose.

84. TripleX says:

Moen?  hahahahaha

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

85. HabsPEI31 says:

If only Moen had something resembling a scoring touch…

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

86. twocents says:

You’ve not been around much lately, have you?

Did you enjoy your Saturday?

87. Praj12 says:

I would like to see the following lines:

Pacioretty-Pleks-Cammy

Pouliet-Eller-Lapierre

Pyatt-Halpern-Darche-moen

Kostit-Gomer-Gio

88. NL_habs_fan says:

Why?

AK-Pleks-Cammy has been a very successful line in the past why not do something proven rather than try another combination here.

Pouliot-Eller-Darche has been playing very well and in this case I feel these guys are in a comfort zone and it would be detrimental to spilt them up

the third line will get the habs a penalty call each time they go on unless they’re playing one defensman

and this line was tried, basically the only winger left for Gomez to try and work with is Patches.

So why?

89. punkster says:

A reasoned and sound response. I appreciate that. No problem :)

90. Max_a_million says:

ditto … :)

91. punkster says:

Like I said, don’t mind me. You’re right in saying he favours the vets and tends to treat the rookies differently. I have no problem with that. I like the way he handles both. He’s a very good coach. Period!

92. shiram says:

I think he later corrected it, saying Desharnais was the best player he played with at the AHL level.

93. Mark C says:

I sure hope Moen and Kostitsyn flip flop sometime soon. That being said, I like Moen with Cammy and Pleks more than with Gomez and Gio. Moen isn’t a shooter, and this just doesn’t play well on a line with Gomez, who is way down on his shot attempts this season. At least with Pleks and Cammy, Moen can work the walls and the front of the net and the line won’t suffer to generate shots and chances.

94. Mats Naslund says:

Resisting the temptation to comment about Moen. I think its only a matter of time. Kostitsyn isn’t a grinder. Moen isn’t a skill guy. Practice lines are not always indicative of regular lines. We finally have a top 6 that makes sense.

95. StevieRay says:

I do not find Gomez fun to watch ….sorry . He is part of our team and contibutes as such .. but fun to watch ..nah … just to predictable

96. Habscore says:

Gomez looks good on the ice, looks good to go for tomorrow’s game!…the guy is always fun to watch no matter what we can say about him
    Eller is playing like he really wants to..
    MaxPac is gradually re-adjusting to the “System”..

……………………………………………………………….
    YES HABS CAN!!

No, no… JM ruins the kids. See… it’s better that way.

98. Hammer says:

Shouldn’t that be ” honey JM shrunk the kids”. ”

99. lenny says:

I really Hope JM takes Moen off the top 2 lines…He may be a good role player with some toughness, but doesn’t have the scoring touch that is needed.

100. howtathor says:

I think he’s just trying to wake up AK46 who’s been in a fog for the last couple of games. Missed an open net in Detroit! It shouldn’t last for than a few shifts.

101. Captain aHab says:

Who is playing with Pleks..please tell me it’s not Moen and Cammy….

102. joeybarrie says:

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Moen

Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta

Kostitsyn-Halpern-Lapierre

Pouliot-Eller-Darche.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

103. avatar_58 says:

Oi vey Martin…..MOEN IS NOT TOP 6

104. HabsPEI31 says:

D pairings at practice today:

Picard-Weber