Hail, hail, the gang’s all here

AUDIO, courtesy of the Team 990’s Andie Bennett: Spacek | Gorges | Gomez | Cammalleri | Martin

The Canadiens had a perfect attendance record for practice this morning in Brossard as defencemen Josh Gorges and Jaroslav Spacek and forward Scott Gomz all returned to practice.

Gomez is likely to return to action after missing two games. He’s practicing on a line with Max Pacioretty and Brian Gionta. But Spacek will probably take some time to recover from a minor upper-body injury. He was the spare defencerman at practice, working alongside Dustin Boyd.

Andrei Kostitsyn was on a line with Jeff Halpern and either Tom Pyatt or Maxim Lapierre while Lars Eller is between Benoit Pouliot and Mathieu Darche.

The Canadiens are home to Philadelphia tomorrow and play Boston Thursday before heading out on the road for seven games.

1. Matt_in_TO says:

I would bet the Sens as well.  McLean will be fired in about March.  Isles are a mess so who knows.  Calgary will have to clean house completely and anyone named Sutter will be gone so who knows.  Ronnie Wilson for some strange reason is bullet-proof.

– In Price We Trust

2. olematelot says:

You don’t find a penalty shot exciting! hmmmm

3. Dennis says:

Thanks, Drive for 25. McGuire seemed to think areas other than goalie were needed. Just goes to show that these guys often are just blowing smoke. I just thought this would be a really fun flashback video to watch for Habs fans. I know it put a smile on my face.

4. ctony says:

For those still thinking about relocating an NHL team to QC
    or Winnipeg, check out what Glendale coughed up to keep the Yotes.

Glendale offers Coyotes a sweet deal

According to Paul Friesen from the Winnipeg Sun, Hulsizer
    paid $170 million for the team, less $100 million (to sell the parking rights
    back to the city), less $97 million (in subsidies over five and half years for
    him to run the arena), plus $6 million per year to rent the arena.  Yep, that makes the team worth NEGATIVE $27
    million excluding rent.

If nothing else, I suppose this proves that NHL teams in
    non-traditional markets are worthless.  The
    Nordiques Nation could have bought a team for the cost of renting 22 buses and
    buying those tickets to the Islanders/Thrashers game.

5. Mattyleg says:

Oh, that. Right, they don’t count THAT way.

But in all other ways, they still count. Even for ‘loser’ points. Beh.

6. drivefor25 says:

Thanks for uploading this. Just loved it when McGuire said Carey Price was such a bad fit for the Canadiens LOL! D’you suppose Bob Gainey knows a bit more about hockey than Pierre McGuire?

Fan since ’71

7. Lazarus_taxa says:

Its true man, professional hockey coaches have a lot to learn from journalist hacks.  What a joke.  The Habs (the most professional, storied, historic and victorious Hockey franchise in the world) are 3rd in the east.  I think JM knows a lot more than you or your referenced jokester.

HIO is my favourite hockey site.  I learn a lot from coming here and reading insightful posts and links.  Then there are threads like this one that seem to be growing in number lately.  Why does everyone bypass the facts and bash JM WITH NO BASIS?  You even went as far as referencing your COMPLETELY OBVIOUS SENTENCE.  Since you know soooo much more than JM about coaching and hockey and you seem to be a fly on the wall during coach meetings and JM decision making, why don’t you tell me what he said to the players that he mis-managed?  How, specifically, has he failed at “managing” players?  From a coaching perspective, how does one “manage” an NHL player to begin with?  It seems easy to just throw these words around making it all sound so simple, how about YOU EXPLAIN what you think he is doing wrong from a “player management” standpoint?  What coaching tactics has he used off the ice that has led to this mis-management?  How about during practice?  What role do Kirk Muller and Perry Pearn play in this perceived failure?  Are they to blame too?  Please allow those that are BLINDED BY THE TEAM’S SUCCESS over JM’s short tenure into this privileged world of hidden failure.  It sounds serious and I am very interested to know…..

8. Say Ash says:

Nice frosted highlights.

9. red1150 says:

Then immediately re-sign him to a 4-year 25 million contract…

10. petrov14 says:

Also, thank-you for selecting the ‘open in new window’ option.  😉

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.

11. geo_habsgo says:

Hm I could be mistaken I often am, but isnt there like a new thing this season that if it comes down to two teams making the playoffs that are tied in points, shootout wins will be subtracted from the total to break the tie? Thats what I meant so i guess i misrepresented it when i said that shootout wins don’t matter. They don’t count in the event of an end of season tie.

12. Dennis says:

Thought you might like to re-live that time when Montreal chose a young goalie named Price. http://dennis-kane.com/for-your-viewing-pleasure-habs-choose-a-young-goalie/

13. CanadienBoy says:

Who gone a be the first teams to  fire it coach ? Let see Sen,Devil ,Ils ,Laff ,Calgary my bet go for the Sen.. to many good players not producing or buying into the system for too long .

14. Chuck says:

Centre Hice: Sainte Flanelle, illustrated history: 1935-36

Think before you post. The internet is forever, and that’s a awfully long time to look like a knob.

15. Mattyleg says:

As Sholi said below, leave him for the Laffs. They love expensive, washed-up players.

Wouldn’t surprise me one bit to see Burkie running after him, tongue lolling.

16. Chorske says:

“BRIAN WALTER”

(Summit inside joke)

17. A. Berke says:

If I remember correctly, wearing the white jerseys to home games was introduced about the same time as the first NHL expansion (circa 1970) possibly to show the newcomer audiences the colours of the other teams.

But you’re right, no one in Montreal supported that change to white home uniforms.

Ali B.

18. Mattyleg says:

Entertainment value, shmentertainment vaiue.

If you want entertainment, go to the circus. If you want hockey…

And what ‘new rule’? Shootout wins still count, Geo.

19. red1150 says:

Any thoughts on picking up a guy like Brian Rolston on re-entry waivers? Given he is definitely past his prime, he has good size and could be a cheap pickup for a top-six forward to get us through the season.  We could use a guy like him in front of the net. We have some cap room to play with, so 2.5mil wouldn’t be a huge hit.

20. Mattyleg says:

Haaaaa!

21. A. Berke says:

Coaching in the NHL is about both coaching and managing players”.

Ken Warren, Ottawa Citizen (from an article re Kovalev’s demotion to 4th line)

CAN SOMEONE UP IN MTL TELL & EXPLAIN THIS TO JM PLEASE?

Ali B.

22. tony d says:

Nice…. you’ve raised her well.

23. HabFarmer says:

Not a big fan of the shootout either.  But what I hate more is the loser point.  If we have to have the shootout then whether you win in regular, OT or shootout, you get all the points – no runner up points.

A man’s attitude… a man’s attitude goes some ways. The way his life will be. Is that somethin’ you agree with?

Haha… Hilarious!

25. geo_habsgo says:

No need if MaxPac pans out and I think he will this year. We can do better than Rolston if we are to move beyond the talent within the organization.

26. geo_habsgo says:

If you read my post you’d see that I said that I didn’t necessarily like the shootout but that I can’t deny its entertainment value after a stalemate match. Anyways, shootouts have gone down this season with the introduction of the new rule and the Habs haven’t been in one at all so there isn’t much reason for us to complain is there?

Wins in the shootout don’t even count anymore so it is hardly an issue. As long as Bettman is in charge the shootout isn’t going anywhere..

27. Bash says:

Four balanced lines for these two physical games?  Halpern will create chances for AK and this could be a physical combination. He can always move players around and shorten the bench if are down late in the game.

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

28. G-Man says:

Shoot outs are a crap gimmick for a bush league. Want a winner? Play the f$%king game!

29. Say Ash says:

Yeah, that’s the first thing I thought. Sure hope it was the blank jersey.

30. geo_habsgo says:

But in a league with such parity any guy can score against any goalie and any time? No? :p

31. geo_habsgo says:

All I know is that when I pay big bucks to go to a game at the Bell and our boys go into overtime I always hope for the shootout. It does add an element of excitement in the arena. The collective cheers and groans of the crowd for a shot that goes in or misses is crazy. This doesnt mean that I think the shootout is a good thing but it certainly means I got my money’s worth in a tie game.

32. habs-hampton says:

it used to be exciting, when there were only a handful all year in the league. Back in the day, if a guy got a penalty shot, he earned it.

33. habs-hampton says:

Who’s name was on the sweater?  😉

34. Say Ash says:

Listen to this:

My wife called me at work to tell me that my two-year-old daughter was rummaging through the closet and dug up one of my Habs jerseys. She held it up and yelled out “Dada!”

Life is good.

35. Mattyleg says:

I guess it bugs me because it’s such a latent ‘marketing’ ploy. Which I hate in general, and detest in hockey.

Also, it clearly illustrates two things:

– that the announcers don’t know enough about the game that they say dumb things like that.

and/or

– that the announcers are leaned on so heavily by the league to say dumb things things like that.

36. Habs Fan in LeafLand says:

I’m so up on the Gomez/Gionta/Pacioretty line; really think that’s going to be good for Gomez especially.

I’m not a fan of having Kostitsyn play with Lappy and Halpy… I think he should go back with Cammellari and Pleks. Being a shooter, he needs someone to set him up. Cammy opens up space for him, while he does the same for Cammy.

37. Mattyleg says:

I wasn’t even aware that we’d hopped on that circus-wagon.

And I don’t agree that the big dumb-looking bear is cool. And those faux-vintage jerseys (Minn and Pitt for example) are faux.

Sorry. Think I’m grumpy today.

38. shiram says:

While I agree with that, I dont see it as being something put into the rules.

39. Say Ash says:

when certain guys are awarded a penalty shot, I wish you could opt for a power play instead

40. shiram says:

Well they do have to “sell” the show on the ice, so they will emphasize the penalty/shootout, also because its kinda rare to see.

Dont know why it would bug you so much though.

41. Max_a_million says:

Actually all of the NFL teams wear throwback jerseys all of the time.  They are certainly not turning back the opportunity to make money selling 3rd, 4th, or 5th jerseys.

Our team just happens to have the worst 3rd, 4th, and 5th jerseys in the history of such things.

The Burins 3rd jersey is really cool.

Funny my girlfriend saw the Wild last week, and asked “what team dresses like Christmas trees?”, and “are they the Minnesota Christmas Trees” …

Traditional Darks do look better!

42. Lancer says:

leave it to Jacques Martin to screw up good scoring lines; leave ak46 with pleks and cammy–put halpern back between darche and pouliot –2nd line is good. Where did this guy learn to coach?

moen is lost on the first 2 lines.

43. Mattyleg says:

Yes, I see that. Now.

But my other points stand!

44. Mattyleg says:

It bugs the HELL out of me when it comes to a penalty shot (or a shootout) and the announcers say “here we go, the most exciting play in hockey.”

They seem to do it all the time. Why? How many ‘plays’ are there in hockey?? And no, it’s really not that exciting!

45. Mattyleg says:

Ha! Absofreakin’lutely!

(because you know they will…)

46. sprague cleghorn says:

Actually, it was a return to how it was back in the 50’s – 60’s, when the home team always wore the the darker (coloured) uniform. When the switch was made to home whites,  fans in Montreal were particularly ticked that they didn’t get to see the Habs in the classic Tricoleur.  Whenever there were special nights at the Forum, the Habs would get permission from the league to wear the bleu-blanc-rouge, and Claude Mouton would introduce them as wearing their “propre” uniforms.  And that uniform shouldn’t have the dopey NHL logo on it.

47. sholi2000.com says:

I give that a minus sign.  But it doesn’t surprise me that it’s on yahoo.

They Call Me Shane

48. petrov14 says:

3rd Jerseys started in 95-96 http://www.nhluniforms.com/1995-96.html.

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.

49. PeterD says:

It may be that JM wants Moen on the lline with Plex and Cammi to keep an eye on them against Philly and Bruins…A little toughness and protection would help open some ice for these guys…the last thing we need is Plex or Cammi getting mugged in the next couple of games.

Other than Toronto, who has more goons on the ice than Phily and Boston?

50. sholi2000.com says:

Let the Leafs sign him.

They Call Me Shane

51. Natrous says:

Rolston was just released by the Devils, in an effort to save money against the cap. Thing is, the only way they save money with a 35+ year old’s contract is if someone picks him up at half price…

Enter Montreal! We could use a 20+ goal scorer with experience, at ~2.5M cap hit!! C’mon PG, make the call!!

I could see him with Gionta and Gomez, with some reference in line name to ex-Devils (Saints perhaps?)..

52. petrov14 says:

Ahhhh touche, good point.

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.

53. petrov14 says:

Thats how I would roll……I say as i sit in frony of my PC, slumped back in my chair, with chip crumbs all over my chest, slack jawed expression on my face. Or “in my amateur opinion” 😉

But seriously yea, those lines seem to make the most sence.

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.

54. Mattyleg says:

The change in colour came before the 3rd-jersey fiasco.

What a pile of utter nonsense.

Does anyone see Barcelona or Liverpool or the Dallas Cowboys playing in shirts with angry cartoon animals on them three times per year?

No? There’s a reason for that…

55. Mattyleg says:

It has to do with the fact that people don’t care about the lovely colours of the opposition, and would rather see their team in their traditional colours than in boring white.

When I was growing up, I was always annoyed that I could only see the classic red jersey on TV at away games.

I like it like this now. Who cares about seeing San Jose in their god-awful teal, or that gaudy Philly-orange?

Gimme the bleu-blanc-ROUGE anyday.

56. petrov14 says:

So awesome! My faves were KovyII and Toskala.

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.

57. Mattyleg says:

Mind you, that Kaberle one could have been substituted for Gomez… 😉

58. petrov14 says:

I think it had to do with all those 3rd jerseys being coloured.

So when you went on the road you would need dark jerseys and if you were playing a team using 3rd jerseys you needed to bring whites as well.

It easyer as a road team to travel with just whites.

But….I could be mistaken as well. But thats what i’ve been lead to believe.

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.

59. Chorske says:

The shoelace one was brilliant. That and Kaberle.

60. habsfan0 says:

I’m sure this topic has been covered before,but can anybody tell me why Bettman decided to have NHL home teams wear their dark(coloured)jerseys,while visitors wear white.It seems to me that season ticket holders would much rather see the different colours of visiting teams’ sweaters rather than always seeing them in boring white no matter who the visiting team was.The only explanation I can come up with,is that Bettman wants to emulate everything about the NFL where this is the norm as well.Witness the NHL logo that all NHL sweaters display at the base of the neck,similar to the NFL logo that all NFL sweaters have. This is a Bettman initiative as well.

61. shiram says:

I read his contract was terminated for familly reasons, so make of that what you want.

Tampa Bay, Washington, Toronto… they all could use him.

62. J_P says:

Thanks for the link! Really funny piece.  I especially liked the one about Ryan Miller.

63. Mattyleg says:

Haha!

That’s two actual out-loud-laughs in a row for DGB!

Thanks for that!

64. thorandresson says:

That’s most likely what you’ll see tomorrow during the game, note there is no mention of where Pleks and Cammalleri are playing in practice (maybe they’re not there)

65. Mattyleg says:

Forget TB, how’s about Washington?

66. Chorske says:

But he’s only ever been an anchor when he has been OFF that line. It’s a bit chicken and egg, but it’s pretty clear he liked playing with Pleks and Cammy

67. Norm0770 says:

Yeah.  I’m not sure why Martin insists on putting Moen on one of the top two lines.  Cammalleri and Kostitsyn were doing great with Plekanec earlier in the year, why not reunites them?

68. punkster says:

Not if AK reverts to that slo-mo play of his again. He’s an anchor on that line when he’s not involved.

69. B says:

Gee, I guess life in the KHL is not all sunshine and lolly-pops compared to the NHL?

70. SeriousFan09 says:

Down Goes Brown on notable events in the Shootout.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

71. lavie says:

The most agreed lines would be:

AK-Pleky-Cammi

MaxPac-Gomez-Gionta

Pouliot-Eller-Darche

Pyatt/Moen-Halpern-Lapierre

72. B says:

It would be perfect if Markov was healthy and at practice too, otherwise, it seems less than perfect attendance to me.

Great new video on Carey Price, aka Kesha.

Evgeni Nabokov has split and left the KHL.  He’ll need to pass waivers but Tampa could sure use him right now.  He might also be a very cheap pick-up for a playoff team that needs depth in goal.

75. lenny says:

I really Hope JM takes Moen off the top 2 lines…He may be a good role player with some toughness, but doesn’t have the scoring touch that is needed.

76. howtathor says:

I think he’s just trying to wake up AK46 who’s been in a fog for the last couple of games. Missed an open net in Detroit! It shouldn’t last for than a few shifts.

77. Habscore says:

Gomez looks good on the ice, looks good to go for tomorrow’s game!…the guy is always fun to watch no matter what we can say about him
    Eller is playing like he really wants to..
    MaxPac is gradually re-adjusting to the “System”..

……………………………………………………………….
    YES HABS CAN!!

78. StevieRay says:

I do not find Gomez fun to watch ….sorry . He is part of our team and contibutes as such .. but fun to watch ..nah … just to predictable

79. Captain aHab says:

Who is playing with Pleks..please tell me it’s not Moen and Cammy….

80. joeybarrie says:

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Moen

Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta

Kostitsyn-Halpern-Lapierre

Pouliot-Eller-Darche.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

81. avatar_58 says:

Oi vey Martin…..MOEN IS NOT TOP 6

82. TripleX says:

Moen?  hahahahaha

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

83. HabsPEI31 says:

If only Moen had something resembling a scoring touch…

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

84. twocents says:

You’ve not been around much lately, have you?

Did you enjoy your Saturday?

85. punkster says:

He sticks his head up every once in a while to take a pot shot at JM. School break doesn’t start for a few days yet so I expect he’ll be around more often.

86. Praj12 says:

Moen is one of our biggest grinders on the ice, he does serve a purpose.

87. HabsPEI31 says:

D pairings at practice today:

Picard-Weber
    Gill-Gorges
    Hamrlik-Subban

Extras
    Boyd-Spacek

Discuss…

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

88. Mats Naslund says:

Resisting the temptation to comment about Moen. I think its only a matter of time. Kostitsyn isn’t a grinder. Moen isn’t a skill guy. Practice lines are not always indicative of regular lines. We finally have a top 6 that makes sense.

89. Mark C says:

I sure hope Moen and Kostitsyn flip flop sometime soon. That being said, I like Moen with Cammy and Pleks more than with Gomez and Gio. Moen isn’t a shooter, and this just doesn’t play well on a line with Gomez, who is way down on his shot attempts this season. At least with Pleks and Cammy, Moen can work the walls and the front of the net and the line won’t suffer to generate shots and chances.

90. punkster says:

How long before the Doom and Gloomers from the other thread get here and start the “JM is ruining the kids” mantra?

Don’t mind me, I’m just tired of seeing that same old outdated, unsubstantiated comment being tossed about here.

91. Mattyleg says:

JM’s ruining the kids!!!

(oh, wait, what thread is this…. oh.)

92. Max_a_million says:

Sorry I posted a reponse on the other thread … having thoughts does not make one a doom and gloomer.

Chillax punkster, I never came close to saying he ruins rookies.  No need to put words in my mouth, or go off half cocked.

When
    veterans make mistakes he doesn’t make changes to the lineup or ice
    time.  In drastic cases he makes them practice as if they might not
    play.

When young players make the same mistakes he puts them on the 4th line, takes away ice team, or scratches them.

I
    am sure it’s his method of getting players to perform to his standard,
    and he has lots of NHL wins to show for methods.  No complaints.  He
    does favor veterans though, and there is no credible argument against
    this.

With three youngters on defence, three now on offence, and
    his goalie more than almost a third of the lineup is extremely young
    and inexperienced.  I think he would not be comfortable with another
    youngster at the moment.

93. B says:

Well, since you brought it up and opened the door, what do you expect? I just seems odd that you would start this yet at the same time claim to be tired of it.

94. Mattyleg says:

It’ll be interesting to see Patch’s assessment of Gomez after having described Desharnais as the best player he’s ever played with.

95. Max_a_million says:

Yes it will indeed …

Hey didn’t he play on a line with Gomez last year?

96. Praj12 says:

I would like to see the following lines:

Pacioretty-Pleks-Cammy

Pouliet-Eller-Lapierre

Pyatt-Halpern-Darche-moen

Kostit-Gomer-Gio

97. NL_habs_fan says:

Why?

AK-Pleks-Cammy has been a very successful line in the past why not do something proven rather than try another combination here.

Pouliot-Eller-Darche has been playing very well and in this case I feel these guys are in a comfort zone and it would be detrimental to spilt them up

the third line will get the habs a penalty call each time they go on unless they’re playing one defensman

and this line was tried, basically the only winger left for Gomez to try and work with is Patches.

So why?

98. punkster says:

A reasoned and sound response. I appreciate that. No problem :)

99. Max_a_million says:

ditto … :)

100. punkster says:

Like I said, don’t mind me. You’re right in saying he favours the vets and tends to treat the rookies differently. I have no problem with that. I like the way he handles both. He’s a very good coach. Period!

101. shiram says:

I think he later corrected it, saying Desharnais was the best player he played with at the AHL level.

No, no… JM ruins the kids. See… it’s better that way.

103. Hammer says:

Shouldn’t that be ” honey JM shrunk the kids”. ”