Habs win, send five to Bulldogs

Canadiens’ Ryan White dukes it out with Panthers’ Mike Duco during Monday game at the Bell Centre.
John Mahoney, Gazette

Habs beat Panthers 6-2: Hickey
Price credits teammates: voices postgame
Boone’s blog of the action, with postgame audio
John Mahoney photo gallery (a bit of blood)
Moen’s hit was “gutless,” Panthers charge

The Canadiens defeated the Florida Panthers 6-2 at the Bell Centre in a preseason game Monday night (see link above), then assigned goalie Peter Delmas, defenceman Mathieu Carle (said by RDS’s Renaud Lavoie to be headed onto waivers Tuesday) and forwards Gabriel Dumont, Andreas Enqvist and David Desharnais to the Hamilton Bulldogs.

It’s likely they’ll be on a flight Tuesday morning to the opening of the Bulldogs training camp in Newfoundland.

The Canadiens, meanwhile, take their first and only day off during camp on Tuesday. They resume skating in Brossard Wednesday at noon.

Thirty-one players remain in camp: three goalies, 10 defencemen and 18 forwards. Injured players include Curtis Sanford (lower body), Andrei Markov and Roman Hamrlik (knee), Hunter Bishop and Max Pacioretty (upper body) and Ryan Russell (lower body).

1. larisalapointe says:

test

2. G-Man says:

It may SEEM like it’s been since March 2009, but it’s been since March 2010.

The game is not about winning the fights. It’s about outscoring the opposition. There is no place on this team for a one-dimensional fighter that can’t play. It’s too bad we don’t have a Chris Nilan type, though- responsible defensively, tough as nails and HATED to lose. Habs can do with more of that attitude on the team; keeps players aware of their roles and what they need to do to perform.

3. Tony000 says:

I’d be more worried about my glue intake if I was you, Tony.

4. likehoy says:

henry will remain the emergency back-up…no way he’s cracking the NHL full-time at 30…he’ll remain a good veteran presence in hamilton if he’s not picked up on waivers

- I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

5. G-Man says:

Price played fine. I am sure he’d like that 2nd one back, but both were goals scored on rebounds (gotta work on that rebound control, right berkshire?). The crowd was supporting him.

Nice effort for a pre-season game. At 24, Desharnais looks ready, but there isn’t a spot barring injury. Was it me or were the Panthers crap? For a team with youngsters trying to impress they didn’t.

Good close game with a nice goalie battle until the 3rd when Florida went with the backup. White has fire in his game and was rewarded for it. I could have done without the planned fight off the faceoff, though. Defending your teammate, sure, but this, “Wanna go?” crap right after a faceoff merits 5 for fighting, a 10 minute unsportsmanlike and 2 for Delay of Game.

Love Plek’s show of speed as well as White’s, when they both turned their opportunities into goals. Subban will cost the Habs goals with his risky and adventurous play, but will definitely be the cause of goals going in for the Habs. He needs a little reining in, but ain’t he fun to watch? Oh, and wasn’t Spacek horrible? +3 with a goal and talking to Subban all night on the bench, giving him the benefit of his years as an offensive blue liner.

Can’t wait for Thursday because that felt close to a real NHL game.

6. The Cat says:

The Carle situation is exactly whats wrong with this management. Heres
    a guy that was a tower of strength in Hamilton, and the habs sign
    Picard and shut the door off for this young man. Proving once again
    that proving yourself holds very little weight with the habs
    organization.

I see Eller with Plex and Cammy.

Cammy-Pleks-Eller

Gionta-Gomez-AK46

Lapierre-Boyd-Pouliot

Pyatt-Halpern-Moen

Darche is the odd man out.

8. otter649 says:

Leaf’s Christian Hanson got into his first NHL fight against Ottawa’s Brian Lee last week & when both were on the ice shoved Lee’s face/head into the ice not hard but the intent was there – Father Dave never would have done that………lol

9. DavidKB says:

As thrilling as is was to watch Halak make save after save during the playoffs, allowing the team to win games, I’d much rather see the team play the way they did last night. I just hope that when the team doesn’t control the play and Price faces more shots and good scoring chances, he is able to pull out a win for the team.

10. CanadienBoy says:

Both Weber and Henry play well and long last night ,witch is bad new for Carle and there Nash as well .

11. likehoy says:

lol…i can see it happening. as long as he doesn’t become another ron hainsey

- I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

12. DavidKB says:

convincing win = dominant play

great save = great save!

There is a difference.

13. saskhabfan says:

Maybe if you get drunk enough,you won’t get turned down by yourself.

“bad analogy- when he first played those wins/losses ??? how many goals did crosby and malkin score that year?”-Observer. When asked why Marc Andre fleury had been sent to the minors when he struggled in his 3rd season.

14. saskhabfan says:

Coming from the guy who makes threats to other posters while not only hiding behind a computer but also from halfway across the world. I’m sure if it was a halak bashing sign you would have an opposite opinion. But thats the typical hypocrisy of the “i cheer for halak instead of the habs” gang.

15. matraque says:

Carle will end up with Tampa…. Just watch.  haha

——

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

16. HabFanSince72 says:

It looks to me like there is ony one forward spot open for the kids.

Otherwise the cap, and the one way contracts, mean that these forwards all have to start with the big club:

Cammy-Pleks-AK46

Gionta-Gomez-Pouliot

Lapierre-Boyd-Moen

Pyatt-Halpern-Darche

Leaves one spot and that will be Eller. I don’t see how White, MaxPac, Maxwell etc can make it.

17. matraque says:

Bon match de Carey!  He made the stops last night.  Good confidence builder for sure!

——

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

18. BJ says:

Great to see the teamwork tonight. Love White’s effort, he has to stay. What I liked about Price tonight he kept it simple and the attention away from himself, continue building on that, his first win since March 2, 2009.. Eller looks as if he could displace Pouliot on a top line. Pouliot should start to get one here and there as he’s getting lots of chances, it should help his confidence when he does. A lot of young guys that could make the 3rd or 4th lines but other than Eller no one as yet seems positioned to dislodge the veterans or fill that vacant 6th top forward. Still hoping Pouliot can step into that slot and produce. PK can really handle the puck. Its been a long while since we’ve had such an entertainer. The only element I’m still concerned with is toughness. We seem to lose 9 out of 10 fights, I suppose better to lose those than games. I still would have liked to see Artyukhin on this team on the fourth line, and he’s a decent skater.

19. jrshabs1 says:

Back to the pig latin eh Bugs?

20. Top Corner says:

GREAT game by the HABS

Good show !!

GO HABS GO

21. Clay4bc says:

WTF?

__________________________

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.

– George Orwell –

22. Clay4bc says:

Sure you would have, tough guy…

__________________________

— George Orwell –

23. baruch says:

all I can say is thank you

forces that be

whimsy and serendipity

your hocus pocus

got Carey to focus

since march, its his first taste of victory

He looked quite good out there last night, like a regular goalie, unflappable, concentrated, doing his job conscientiously. I don’t need highlight reel saves, I just want us to win every game.

24. Chuck says:

The kid bled like a stuck pig. Next time maybe he’ll think twice before jumping someone from behind.

25. Chuck says:

What’s the difference between a “win” and a “convincing win”? They’re both worth 2 points in the standings (if it were the regular season, that is).

It the same thing when people refer to “great saves”. In reality, every save is a great save, or it would be goal.

26. Bugs says:

I would ask him how he intended to keep it out of the rain once he left the building; it was pourin out there.

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Data Factory: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

27. Bugs says:

I said that? That doesn’t sound like me. I would never say “persay” as in per se.

I meant to say “Persia”.

And that’s how it’s spelled in old Aramean.

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

28. daveho29 says:

Probably, but I would feel better.

29. daveho29 says:

Jack todd didn’t even start out as a sports reporter for the gazette, what does he know? he know’s nothing, he slags enigeers to hockey players without being an engineer or even being able to skate. am i “CLOSE ENOUGH” JACK!

30. rocketsglare says:

Not a dominant performance by Price tonight, but I’ll take it, being his best start yet and notching his

1st win in the pre-season. Now if Price can build momentum against the Sabres this coming Thurs. by

having a dominant game and winning convincingly, then Price I feel is ready to start the season.

As for the team, they appear overall to be ready. They seem quick on the attack and more assertive

around the net, all positive signs for an improved 5 on 5 play. The PP needs some fine tunning, but

should improve with the return of Markov. The D has been suspect, but understandable with Hamrlik

and Markov out. But , what impressed me the most about this team was the play of our kids. Their

hard work and jam hopefully will add greater scoring and defensive depth.

A very solid effort and win by our boys tonight.

31. light_n_tasty says:

Shouldn’t it be in italics?

32. light_n_tasty says:

Well, that would be an overreaction now, wouldn’t it? Not to mention a lawsuit and criminal charges.

33. daveho29 says:

To the “fan” carrying a sign in the stands saying “The Price is wrong” I would punch you in the face if I was there.

34. observer says:

maybe a good sign? all this fuss set a fire under price and he reacted positively. maybe gauthier was right after all OR more likely i had too much to drink tonight.

35. light_n_tasty says:

OK, so I didn’t see the last two goals.

But Price looked awight tonight.  Focused. Good positioning.  Strong down low.

The rest of the team felt it and played well.

Keep proving me wrong, CP.

36. Everlasting1 says:

It’s posted for all to see – ‘persay’. I wasn’t going to say anything, but that’s the second time today. I gave you the benefit of the doubt for the first typo, but couldn’t let the second slide. But not to nitpick.  Gotta get this word in..hockey. :-P

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

37. db says:

Where you around for all the years that Koivu spent falling on the ice?  I wouldn’t read too much into it… at least he goes down trying.

38. db says:

I’m willing to bet there were more than just those two.. but seriously, is there no code anymore (couldn’t resist). There should be another penalty for intent to injure once a punch is thrown while a player is on the ice… the UFC doesn’t even let a fight continue when someone can’t defend themselves.

And where are the refs when a 5’9″ player fights a 6’4″ one?  Isn’t the NHL interested in protecting their assets?