Habs win in shootout

Saku Koivu said he sometimes improvises when he takes a penalty
shot, but he stuck to the script last night to produce the Canadiens’
3-2 shootout win over the Carolina Hurricanes.

"You look at how
the goaltender is playing, whether he comes out high and look at the
ice conditions and you decide what you’re going to do," Koivu said.
"Sometimes, you change your shot, but tonight, I stuck with it all the
way."

The result was a backhander that beat Cam Ward for the only
goal in the shootout. Carey Price ensured the victory with stops on
Matt Cullen and Eric Staal, while Ray Whitney missed a chance to match
Koivu’s goal when he put the third and final Carolina shot over the
net.

The shootout capped an improbable win for the Canadiens who were outshot – and outplayed – during most of the game.

Boone: About last night …

Game summary

Stats

The Canadiens bunched their scoring into a 4:07 span late in the first period.

Alex
Kovalev erased a 1-0 Carolina lead when he intercepted a pass at the
blue line and went in alone on Ward, while Alex Tanguay scored his
team-high sixth goal on a penalty shot at 19:49.

But the
penalty shot merely underlined the Canadiens’ largest failure in this
game – and for the season. Tanguay got the freebie when Dennis
Seidenberg was penalized for closing his hand on the puck in the crease
while the Canadiens were enjoying a 5-on-3 advantage.

"The ice
was bad and I just wanted to make sure I got the shot off," said
Tanguay, who picked the top corner on Ward’s blocker side.

Tanguay acknowledged that the Canadiens haven’t been playing their best hockey, but he took that as a good sign.

"We’re
6-1-1 to start the season and we know we can play better," Tanguay
said. "The last three games haven’t been that great, but we got two
wins."

The Canadiens went 0-for-7 on the power play and hardly
look like the team that has led the NHL in power-play efficiency in
each of the past two seasons.

Montreal’s best chances with the man advantage came on a

4-on-3 power play late in the overtime. They launched five shots, but Ward made a couple of spectacular saves.

The Canadiens got off to a one of their patented slow starts. They were being outshot 7-0

after
Anton Babchuk scored on a power play at 11:04 of the first period.
Guillaume Latendresse took the Canadiens’ first shot on goal at 11:26.

But Guy Carbonneau took

exception to a suggestion the Canadiens should be grateful to escape with two points.

"Except
for the first 10 minutes of the first period, I thought it was a pretty
even game," he said. "Look at how many empty nets we missed."

The
Canadiens could have made things a lot easier on themselves if
Latendresse and Robert Lang hadn’t missed empty nets or if they had
clicked on the power play.

As it was, they did end Carolina’s
run of victories at the Bell Centre. The Hurricanes had won nine
consecutive games here since the lockout. The streak included six
regular-season games and three games in the second round of the 2006
playoffs.

The Habs won the first two games of that series in
Carolina, but the Hurricanes rallied to win the series in six games and
went on to win the Stanley Cup. Ward had his personal seven-game win
streak here snapped.

The game marked the first time the
Canadiens had their full lineup healthy, but that may not have lasted.
Defenceman Roman Hamrlik took a shot off the foot in the third period
and left the game. There was no immediate word on his condition.

The
game wrapped up a five-game homestand for the Habs, who went 4-1. They
hit the road tomorrow night when they play the Wild in Minnesota.

Gazette Stars: 1.Saku Koivu; 2. Eric Staal; 3. Carey Price.

1. Habsrule1 says:

Hey Mike,

Great talking with you and your wife (I’m bad with names sometimes) during dinner Saturday, by the way…..

which doesn’t mean we have to agree on everything. I do agree totally that the fact that a player wants to play here doesn’t mean they should. Some are not worthy. I guess I’m just not a big fan of booing a home team player, myself. I do see Brisebois’ shortcomings, but I also see his qualities. I personally believe, if used properly, he can help this team.

I wish there was a way someone who gets to go to every game, and possibly has seats in that press area we visited high above the ice, could count all mistakes/turnovers by all defenseman for a 10-20 game span. Is Breezer that much worse than everyone else? Or is he about average, and paying him $750K to play 40-50 games while infecting the team with an amazing attitude and experience worth it? I’m truly happy that Bob & Guy believe it is….or at least believe in something similar to how I put it.

You are bang on with Lats. I see developement and potential. I cannot believe the bashing he receives whether he plays well or not. He’s got good hands, but he lack experience, and perhaps confidence. I think He can be a solid 2nd liner (or maybe 3rd on this team), and he can easily become a 25-30 goal scorer.

“I can’t hear what Jeremy(Roenick) is saying because my Stanley Cup rings are in my ears” – Patrick Roy

Go Habs Go!!

Habsrule

2. RetroMikey says:

Photo may be too large to upload.

“We will win the Cup only with Carey Price in the nets”

3. Bugs says:

Happened to me too before I finally managed to switch over to the venerable mug you see before you.
    Here’s what I did:
    Log OUT of HabsInsideOut.
    Delete your original picture if you want OR change it’s name, then delete it, or move it. Just get it out of it’s original link.
    Relog onto InsideOut.
    Bring in new picture. All done.
    Peace Out.
    ______________________________________________________
    Lord Bugs Potter, esq. Earl of Fluppitburg, Baron of Flopshlupshire and Knight of the Flannel Republic.

4. Habsrule1 says:

Your new photo may be too large of a file. The site only supports so much. I’m not a computer guy, but when I sent my pic to my brother, he “shrank” it somehow, and now it’s fine.

Good luck!

Go Habs Go!!

Habsrule

5. krob1000 says:

That will happen eventually…he did it in Pittsburgh…he saw ice with Crosby. Gretz used to play with Semenko. Laraques has to end up one the ice against other teams good players at times to scare them too……intimidating another teams enforcers is only half of his job. He has to have an impact….playing on fourth line and only fighting willing goon combatants is not all that beneficial…still fun as hell…not that beneficial though. He has to play against normal players at times and that is why I liked this acquisition …because he can play a semi regular shift. Let’s not forget he has an inured groin.

Help! I finally tried to upload a photo for my login name, 24 Cups. I was successful. However, I then wanted change the photo. I opened my profile, clicked edit, then picture delete, hit browse, selected my new photo to upload picture, and finally hit submit. I either land up with no photo or the same old one. No matter how many times I try uploading a new photo, I still land up with the original one. Thoughts?

Going For The Brass Ring – 25 Cups in 100 Years

7. Bugs says:

Let’s get serious for a second.
    Folks are saying it was a boring game. And it was.
    But we must rejoice nonetheless. Because if you were a Caner fan, how could you think it was a boring game?
    The Caners played like their hair was on fire and their butts were catching. They hustled, they made plays and they got chances.
    They OUTPLAYED us. In fact, I would say that they played to the EXTREME level of their talent (as is). They played just as good or better than I’ve ever seen’em. Cam Ward, Brind’Amour, Stall, c’mon! They played great!
    We didn’t. Lack of concentration, lack of precision, lack of finition and a bad goal let in.
    And we won.
    Knowing that we can ONLY get better after such a “boring” performance, well…
    Can we not rejoice?
    Peace Out.
    ______________________________________________________

8. nightmare_49 says:

Shawn – It was a pleasure to meet you and looking forward to the next time as i also will be in better shape.

9. Habsrule1 says:

I agree with the coaching staff not playing Laraque every game, but I’d like to see him as much as possible too. He was brought in to police our boys, so let him do it, and watch the space open up for Saku & friends!

Go Habs Go!!

Habsrule

10. Habsrule1 says:

Hey Richard,

That’s something I never really thought of, but I kinda like it. I’m no coach and I’m not sure of the logistics, but perhaps that would be a good idea. I’d love to hear some opinions on it.

Cheers.

Go Habs Go!!

Habsrule

11. Oleg Petrov says:

Thanks bigbaehr- one of my favourite obscure Habs of all times as well! I agree the opposition doesn’t seem to be affected as much but I don’t think they are as focused on a skating possession game like the Habs. But you are right, I think the sticks might be a little tight. Some time on the road won’t hurt them at all! Still gotta love the points they have put in the bank.

12. Gr8stFranchizEvr says:

Habs did not control the flow of the game last night. The D-men or the D system is looking vulnerable. Too many shots are finding their way to the net and there’s a lot of space up high near the blue line. Seems to me something’s gotta change there.

The offense had spurts of greatness, but nothing very consistent.

I think the Canes played a better defensive game.

Price was very sharp in the shootout, and thanks to him we came out of that one with 2 points.

So, anyone miss Samsonov? LOL

13. Xtrahabsfan says:

I agree with that thought..

14. bigbaehr says:

First of all, welcome back Oleg. One of my favorite under appreciated mini wingers from the Habs past. I totally agree that the puck has been bouncing a lot on us, but it doesn’t seem to effect our opponents as much. Perhaps expectations are making the guys grip the stick a little too tight?

15. Gr8stFranchizEvr says:

interesting idea, but BGL is not known for his ‘chasing others around’. He is a bit slow for that kind of thing. Begin & Laps excel in that dept. BGL is an enforcer who is best used deep in the O zone for hard body checks,puck possession and goalie screening, and when necessary using his fists to get a message across. but under certain conditions, it might be a good idea to use him on other lines, like Therrien did in Pit.

16. habsguy says:

he wasn’t in the game mentally ?????..If he wasn’t on his game I doubt he would a save % of 939 and stop 30+ shots AGAIN…..WOW you guys are tough.
    I wouldn’t want to play for the habs with fans like some of you, if you lose the puck you can’t stick handle, if you miss the net you can’t shoot,i someone beats you to the puck you can’t skate..LOLOLOL

17. nightmare_49 says:

Empty Netters : Shelley-Godard Tilt, Coyotes get Ken Klee at Half Price and Lang working out in Montreal .. by Seth Rorabaugh ….. http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/emptynetters/archive/2008/10/29/smooth-10-29-08.aspx ……… Jaromir Jagr : There’s more Freedom in Russia than U.S.A. .. NHL Fanhouse ….. http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2008/10/29/jagr-russia-freer-than-the-u-s/#cont

18. Oleg Petrov says:

Last night’s game wasn’t pretty – they started very slow, the power play isn’t clicking yet but there was one major point that stood out for me last night and in the 5 game homestand – the quality of the ice is brutal!

As an organization, how can you build a team to play up tempo with highly skilled players and then give them that kind of ice surface to play on?

Last night was brutal – the Lang open net summed it up perfectly last night – all he did was snap at the puck but it was bouncing around so much, he shot it over the net! Unbelievable!

I really hope they get this fixed and the team can take full advantage of their speed and their skill level.

It doesn’t explain everything that might not be going well with the team right now but it certainly is a major factor.

19. Richard B says:

Another thought.
    Y not give big Georges random shifts with each line throughout the game. That way the other team will never know when Big Georges could be out there chasing them around.
    I say let him go on the opening shift with Lang and Higgins…then a little later let him go with Koivu and Tanguay for 30 seconds. The other team will be scared to death.

20. Richard B says:

At the beginning of the game when the players take the ice I really like how Komie and Koivu pay attention to the kids holding the flags on the boards. The rest of the team ignores them. Whats wrong with the rest of the team? And way to go Komie.

Why Big Georges is sitting I’ll never understand…we finaly have a “real” tough guy and he is a heathly scratch?

Until the last 10 minutes of the third period, last nights game had to be the most boring habs game I’ve watched in three years. Maybe its my fault as expectations are so high, I might be expecting high flying goals from Koivu and Tanguay and three spin goals from Kovalev each game…or perhaps it really was a boring game.

BRING BACK BIG GEORGEs…AND LET HIGGINS PLAY WITH KOIVU AND TANGUAY.

21. coachdoug says:

We lost some of these tight games last year so even though it was ugly it is still an improvement like Kovy said. The season is always a flow of playing well and not playing so well. If the Habs can win when they don’t play well that is important. This schedule is horrendous so far and all the breaks are bad. Consecutive games are better when you are healthy as a team to keep everyone sharp and focused. It is great to see the Captain playing so well this year. He came through in the clutch and that’s what a leader does.

22. Gotta Wear Shades says:

After watching Price’s performance last night I was left scratching my head. He has the ability to play the puck and make smart plays (up to forwards or even settling it down for the defence). But last night, it was one of two things… he wasn’t in the game mentally (until the shootout, anyone else see him concentrating by himself at the bench?) or he was TOO into the game and was trying too much with the puck.

There were at least five plays in the third period where he didn’t have to venture into the corner or behind the net… then there was the Delay of Game attempt at the 2minutes and change mark when Markov was ready and Komi was on the other side of net.

I love this kid, but Rollie the Goalie has to speak to him and give him a few pointers on when to play the puck, he’s young and a lot to learn… and he’s also a big, quick goaltender, having something like that in his repetoire will make him even better.

A new member, Shawn Plain, joins HIO. This is a forward of a post he made on the Summit thread last night. Steve

Submitted by CanadianPGA on Tue, 10/28/2008 – 21:12.
    Hello Everyone!

When 24 Cups invited me to Montreal for the Summit I was thrilled. When we arrived I was off the ground; being in Montreal where everyone wears bleu, blanc et rouge and not blue white and “maybe next year” had me zip, zap and zuped. I was six years old again.

It’s an amazing feeling to be apart of such shared adoration! 24 Cups and I spent much of our 5 hour drive to Port Perry on Sunday discussing next year. Who and how we’d approach the restricted and unrestricted free agents. Who get’s five years who get’s 2 years; who gets a new jersey.

Being a HABS fan means a lot to all of us; to me the HIO Summit meant everything. Thank you 24 Cups!

I’ll look forward to posting and developing a more intimate association with the greatest hockey fans in the NHL; all the while looking forward to the next summit…and no tequila.

To all who made the moments and memories as special as they were; my sincere thanks. Hats off (pun intended) to the Gazette and for their involvement and support of the passion that brings all of us together.

24. TC says:

Random theoughts about last nights game from the Hockey News Canadiens Blog:

It Was Ugly, But a Win is a Win, Especially Against the ‘Canes

T.C.
    tc.denault@habsworld.net

25. MikeMcLaren says:

Good talking to you too – and yes, we’re going to have to agree to disagree on this one :)

Interestingly, they actually keep stats for turnovers through the NHL’s RTSS system. Unfortunately I can’t find unfiltered stats for this yet. There is a site that tries to remove bias from the stats (some arenas are overly generous in counting things like hits or giveaways or takeaways, etc.)

One interesting stat: Guillaume Latendresse is 9th in the league in hits. With the goal scoring touch that he has and the nice passes he’s making this year, he’s shaping up to be a gem of a POWER FORWARD.

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

26. carmine007 says:

I totally agree about the cap numbers. I in no way was suggesting that the Habs sign Ryder. I was suggesting that a one year deal for Streit if the price was right would have been beneficial. Streit worked hard and deserved the raise just wish he and Gainey or Gainey and Streits agent would have seen more eye to eye. Ultimatly it’s the player who chooses were to go so this Saturday we will see a Canadiens Streit reunion..

We have a HUGE game tonight and I’m praying that our D tightens up and we put a solid effort in against the Wild. I’m sure the koivu brothers are going to have a field day tonight.

It’s NEVER over til it’s OVER!

27. HabsFansince49 says:

I love this forum for no other reason than it is great comedy.
    Here we are 1 point out of 1st place in the division with a game in hand and fourth in the conference with 4 games in hand.
    I just read these comments and I believe if the Habs won the Cup (and they will this year), most of you lot will be whining for some reason or another.
    The Habs played an ordinary game against Carolina and still won…that’s what champions are made of.

28. georgesd says:

Not sure where to put this article I found on the New York Times sports hockey page. It’s on the Russian hockey league. Very good read and lengthy read.

Go to http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/sports/playmagazine/112Russia.html?_r=1&ref=sports&oref=slogin and enjoy.

Best regards to all, Georges D.

29. MikeMcLaren says:

I’m sure there’s a lot of social science behind how the bashing works out, and like I said, I’ll fully admit that I’m one of the charter members of the “gutless bastards” club that doesn’t really like Brisebois and I will see his bad moves and not his good ones (he sometimes makes good ones). I’m biased or bigoted or however you want to put it.

I just don’t want to be lumped into the Lats-bashers because I think those folks are very short-sighted (Hey, MY bias is better!). The only thing in common between the two players though is their province of birth.

I don’t know if the people who bash Breezer are the same people who bash Lats.

I’m a fan of the team and I want to cheer for folks who help the team more than hurt the team. I couldn’t stand Traverse when he was on the team, I couldn’t stand Leeman when he was on the team, etc. etc.

It’s great that any player *wants* to be on the Canadiens, but we can’t use that as a huge measure of their worth to the club if their performance overrides that. Hell, how much would ANY of us want to be on the Canadiens? I’d pay to play on the team, but boy oh boy would I get booed because, frankly, I’m a sucky hockey player by any measure.

Lecavalier doesn’t want to play in Montreal, but I’d take him on the team any day.

As for Latendresse, he is continually improving. He’s showing effort to improve his game, he’s stepping up and working on things in the off-season and the improvements are really showing on the ice. He’s maturing, he’s getting better, he’s getting more confident.

For mostly seeing the good side of Brisebois, I give you credit. You are a better man than I am. I can’t shake what happened in the past and I truly feel bad that Bob Gainey, who is the savior of this modern team, doesn’t agree with how I feel, but I can’t stop how I feel.

For those who bash Guillaume? Well I think they’re all silly geese!

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

30. habs domain says:

If our PP continues to struggle, there’s a chance Weber could be brought up, as he has a cannon from the point, and an offensive defenceman.
    You can bet that he’lll be up next year, and will be the guy replacing Streit, except that he’s younger and better defensively. He’s so much alike Streit, being swiss and all. In the interim, why not switch Markov to the other side, and play S. Kostistyn on the other side. upfront, maybe Kovalev, Tanguay and AK46.

31. MikeMcLaren says:

At least this is a nice problem to have…

“Geez, we won again last night. Who’s going to be the scapegoat for THIS one!?”

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

32. MikeMcLaren says:

People ABSOLUTELY need to be more patient with Latendresse. He’s very young and he’s a power forward. Like defensemen, those take longer to develop.

People can try comparing him to Leclair… I think Cam Neely’s going to be a better comparable. He came straight out of juniors too and once he bust out, he bust out.

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

33. Irishhabsfan says:

The habs have not been playing their best hockey of late but still manage to win, cannot wait too see what happens when they are firing on all cylinders.
    The cbc hopefully will show more Montreal games on Saturday nights in this their 100th anniversary here in London. Definitely more entertaining than the blue and white team appox. 200km east.

GO HABS!

34. krob1000 says:

I am not so sure that we miss the big shot as much as we are just not taking the shots that are there. Last night Sergei was primed for a one timer of a face off from just outside the top of the circle…instead we threw the puck around the outside for a while. Sergei can shoot and is accurate as can Markov (who is taking more shots this year but still not as many as Streit). I don’t think the difference between Markov and Streit’s velocity is an issue but I think whoever the second point man is has to be a threat to shoot as well. Tanguay can shoot a puck and is going to have to at least keep the pk honest by shooting every now and then. As it stands when he gets the puck the opposng pk is probably thinking to themselves “ok this guy is looking for a seam”. Streit/ Markov or Souray/Markov meant two threats…Tanguay has to shoot…..even if not to score to keep two threats from the point a possibility. In situations where Kovy finds himself at the top of the circle opponents know he is a threat to shoot….that is why he is successful from the half wall and up high. I think Tanguay is going to be the key to the pp turning around simply by shooting enought o keep em honest. They had to do the same thing in Toronto with Mccabe and Kaberle. Once Mccabe was covered they knew Kaberle wouldn’t shoot….resulting in problems. Shoot…shoot…shoot ….of course that means we need traffic but it is all about creating options otherwise you are still in essence playing four on four.

A lot of our shtos are coming with no trafic…same thing with dump ins to get possession…the attention detail is what separates teams like Detroit from the pack. A dump in has to be to a place where we wil win the race to. A shot has to be timed and the pp has to get a sense of whent he shot is coming and know when to go to the net. When we pass too much guys stay on the perimter and thus we don’t have someone moving in and out of the crease area frequesntly enough.

35. moesolderbrother says:

Carmine, it’s funny that you mention the point shot. I was at the game last night and mentioned to my buddy that it is really apparent that the Habs miss the big shot. With that being said, I would have to agree with what some other fans have noted in that Souray and Streit were great PP quarterbacks, but below average on defense. There is no way that Bob Gainey would have paid either what they got in Edmonton and Long Island. I actually think quite a few people would have been upset if he had. I really think that a #4 d-man that can shoot acurately, (not necessarily hard), would be a great pick up instead of the Gaborik type that the rumor mill keeps spewing forth. Seven games in means that the team still has 75 games to sort out the PP and get it back to #1 in the league.

007 – Bill is right. Regardless of ability, would you be willing to give those two guys $8.1 a year, long term? Streit would still be your 4th Dman and Ryder would be a 3rd liner. It’s all about the cap, plain and simple.

Going For The Brass Ring – 25 Cups In 100 Years

37. Habsrule1 says:

I know you were being sarcastic, but $750K is not a lot these days.

I totally agree that he should be used very sparingly, and he won’t complain a bit. Obviously, he’ll make less mistakes that way, but if he only made one mistake, 50 people on this site would point it out anyway, and ask for his head on a platter.

I bet his teammates love the guy, and I’m glad we have him.

Go Habs Go!!

Habsrule

38. Bill H says:

Well, Streit chose to go to the Islanders as they offered big bucks and more than one year. With the cap and our UFA situation, BG could not match what the Islanders were offering. Aside from his role on the PP, Streit was a liability for us. He is weak on defense and would be rotating in and out of the press box with occasional 4th line duty for us.

Give the power play some time. The big shot from the point is missing and we need to adapt. Hopefully it will start to click in a few games. On the bright side, our 5-on-5 is doing better than last year. That’s a very positive development.

39. LeGrosBill says:

Carmine,

I think the main difference between Ryder and Streit is their ages. Streit most likely figured he only had a few more years to hit the jackpot, so he went for the long term contract while his stock was high. We don’t know that Gainey did not offer a one year deal.

Rgds,
    LGB

40. Xtrahabsfan says:

Breezer has a performance contract and is in control of his wages,lol

41. Xtrahabsfan says:

Look.I said this before the guy at the point position during a power play has to have a howitzer that is accurate ,the only three we had were Souray,Streit and Kovalev.

42. The Teacher says:

You have my admiration, Ian. The strides you’ve made in the last year or so should be an eye-opener to many. Proves that you can do anything if you put your mind to it.

My suggested overtime format and other sports talk

43. The Teacher says:

I wish I made as little as Brisebois does.

I’ll give the puck up a few times a game, I won’t mind for over 750k!

That being said I am just being sarcastic, however do believe he needs to play MUCH less than he has been. he’s supposed to be our 7th D, not our 4th. There is no difference from what he was asked to do 10 years ago and what he is being asked to do now, play waaaay above his head. It is unfair to him because he will just eventually get trashed all the time like he used to. Back then it was more than justified, now it’s not really except for the fact he is asked to play too many minutes, which isn’t his fault.

My suggested overtime format and other sports talk

44. carmine007 says:

I have to get this off my chest and I’m sure many of you will call me crazy. Our PP this year is taking a beating and I feel the loss of Mark Streit is the main reason. I know Streit left us for a last place team and for more money but come on. He had worked so hard to become a better player and then he jets off to the Islanders? I really wish his agent and Gainey could at least signed him to a one year deal like they did last year with Ryder. I know Ryder didnt have a good season last year but at least they gave him the one year to prove he was still a sniper and he could’nt.

Sakus Evil Twin, I agree we have had to many home games and some times that can make a team some what Complacent and lazy. We now have the next few games away from home and this should be a great time for the team to gel and concentrate on hockey!

It’s NEVER over til it’s OVER!

45. C-Dawg says:

I agree with your argument that Lattendresse shouldn’t be “our” whipping boy but comparing him to Leclair isn’t fair. One, Leclair did 4 years of at the University of Vermont, 90 miles south of MTL, while Gui came right out of Junior. Two, the reason the Habs gave up on Leclair is not due to on ice talents but rather his off ice choices, something the Habs haven’t had to worry about with Lattendresse. Because Leclair grew up so close to, and went to school so close to Mtl, he would have all his friends coming up to games and going out partying all hours of the night. The trade to Philly woke Leclair up where he gained a better work ethic, and I have serious doubts he would have ever blossomed in Montreal.
    In case you’re wondering where I got my info…I too live in Vermont and watched Leclair play at UVM before he made the Habs, and it’s a small area….word gets around of partying with John on St Catherine’s.
    Gui on the other hand, has at a younger age, shown maturity, great work ethic and a willingness to work on his weaknesses in the offseason. Give him another 2-3 yrs and the Habs will be blessed with one of the better power forwards in the league. Put him on a line with Max Pax and we’ll have a very dominating line…..patience people, please.

46. Habsrule1 says:

You know….I don’t know what I expect sometimes. I just do not get the whole bashing angle. There are players who do not want to come here, and then there are players like Brisebois & Latendresse who love it here and give their all. We all know Breezer’s all is not that much, but he gets paid very little, and has experience. He makes mistakes, but he also does some very good things on the ice. As for Latendresse, he scored 16 goals 2 years in a row in a very limited role. e’s now trying to get used to a bigger role, and took the advice of the staff and improved his skating. Not every good player is a great skater, especially at his size.

Perhaps I’m the only one who sees his improvement? Am I the only one who understands that he’s not going to be like Gretzky in his first real shot at a strong line? Maybe I’m just too positive, but I can’t bash players because they are not superstars on a team that is 6-1-1.

Give it time. If everyone who is so brutal is still brutal at game 20, Carbo will have done something about it, and I’ll be all for it.
    Plekanec has been less than spectacular. Should he be on the 4th line, or in the pressbox?

Go Habs Go!!

Habsrule

47. Sakus Evil Twin says:

Ugh… my couch took a bashing last night… and the air was filled with profanity…

…Ugly, UGLY, UGLY!

While I know that a win is a win is a win, I lost count of the giveaways, the HUGE rebounds by Price (which any better geared team would have buried), and the lack of pass completions.

I’m kinda glad that the next game is away from the Bell Center.

I like women and I like cake – Quote of Summit 2008

48. secretdragonfly says:

What did you expect? Brisebois wasn’t playing so someone has to be the goat.

49. JIMVINNY says:

That’s insane. There are probably several teams that would give us a great return if we even wanted to TRADE him. That being said, the notion of getting rid of him either way is ridiculous. Between the lats haters and brisebois haters, this site is getting overrun with stupidity.

50. Habsrule1 says:

Never ceases to amaze me how stupid some posts here are.

The kid’s 21 and is improving a lot.

Go Habs Go!!

Habsrule

51. Natrous says:

It’s easy to pick Latendresse as the whipping boy, but I don’t understand why a whipping boy is needed on a team that is 6-1-1. Not only that, but given his age I would expect him to make mistakes. He’s made great strides (no pun inteded) from last year to this year already, and need I make reference to another power forward that we gave up on much too early in John LeClair?

Coming down on a 21-year-old may be a worthy cause within a short-sighted mind, but lets not offer up Gui’s head on a silver platter to a team willing to take the time to develop him into a decent power forward. Let’s swap him for Higgins on the 2nd/3rd lines and watch them flourish!

52. habs domain says:

As far as the rules are concerned, when it comes to waiving a player, say Latendresse, if we try and waive him, he could be picked up by another team, right? fantastic! waive him! Otherwise, If we send him to Hamilton. my sister lives there and can rent him out a room.

53. Ian G Cobb says:

Feels great to help someone else out, I have been helped on here by others for the past year and a half. I had never turned on a computer in my life before that.

54. Ian G Cobb says:

We must try to keep the same line up in place for a few games in a row to build chemistry between line mates and the d.

Tanguay said it best last night, he said it takes time to acquaint with your line mates and to know how the D plays each different circumstance with each different line.

It was an ugly win to be sure. And we have to learn how to win in regulation ,so as to get distance between the opposition, not give them a point a game.

The cream will start to rise once we get 10 or 15 games in with the same line up.

To morrow night will tell a large story, I pick Minnesota to be the 2nd top team in the west this year.

Ian & Bugs – you have saved the day – please go to the head of the class! Thank you, thank you very much.

Going For The Brass Ring – 25 Cups In 100 Years

Steve, Same happened to me . But first delete your old photo, then log out . then log back in and put up your new pic on the brouse.
    Hope it works for you. Ian

57. SlovakHab says:

And the man to win the faceoff will be…?

58. The Teacher says:

I agree that everything he does is magnified, and that his 750k (which I think is actually more b/c of the cap thing) and won’t complain (which I think should be a given), he is just being asked to fill a role he shouldn’t be asked to.

href=”http://www.barragecafe.com/sports/”> My suggested overtime format and other sports talk

59. REB says:

That is just WRONG! So WRONG! So why am I sitting here laughing?!

60. REB says:

Carolina has them, and they are eye-candy, but what other purpose they serve I can’t answer.

61. Gr8stFranchizEvr says:

i don’t know about this year, but I recall there being girls in Habs T-shirts doing cheers and dance moves up in the stands – no they weren’t just enthusiastic fans! These pretty faces were there on purpose to spur on the fans, the male ones in particular!
    So, embarrassingly, we do (or did) have some variation of cheerleaders in Mtl.

Were they hot? yes.
    Did it help the game or the fans get into the game? no, so it wasn’t necessary.

It was a display of the americanization of a canadian game – not that it’s working…

62. Richard B says:

I have mixed emotions on the cheerleaders…On one hand it is cheapening and modernizing Canada’s (and it means even more for Montreal) most honored sport and most honored franchise…but on the other hand…These are Smokin Hot Cheerleaders 8)

63. Skotbot says:

No cheerleaders pls.
    It would make me sick to my stomach to see the Habs being marketed like that. Leave the sleazy sexism for Americans.

Do I listen to pop music because I am miserable?
    Or am I miserable because I listen to pop music?

64. spirit of the Habs says:

Definitly get rid of youppi. What a joke.

Canadas Team, Gods Team You name it The Habs are it

65. Habsrule1 says:

Get rid of Youppi? Obviously, you’re not a Montrealer. As someone who grew up there, I’m ecstatic that the Habs picked him up as a free agent!

Go Habs Go!!

Habsrule

66. MikeMcLaren says:

Just because they don’t have “ice girls” clearing the ice, doesn’t mean they don’t have cheerleaders.

If you’ve ever been to the Bell Centre and glanced up at the Molson Ex section you will rather clearly see that there are several “cheerleaders” there.

Photographic proof here:

(can’t account for the guy’s taste in baseball teams)

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

67. MikeMcLaren says:

So now I’m going to give you one of those “Sophie’s Choice” deals…

Patrice Brisebois.

Youppi.

You have to get rid of one. Which one is it?

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

68. Habsrule1 says:

I think Brisebois is playing his role fine, but I’d lose him over Youppi. Youppi is part of our heritage…ok, i’m exagerrating, but I was a huge Expos fan.

Go Habs Go!!

Habsrule

69. HABZ24 says:

tanguays playing great of late.sakus always at his full out best.price shot the puck out and took a 2 min penalty with 2 mins left, he could have blown the game single handedly but as it turned out price won the game for us in o.t !! minnys going to be a hard game .should be intereseting.

70. Lix says:

With their puck control the goals WILL come.

On another note, does anyone know where I can view on line, the opening black and white slide show from the Bell Centre showing Habs fans from around the world at different historical sites? Just saw it for the first time Saturday night and loved it.

71. joeliedagoalie says:

The drive for 25 is alive!!!!!!!!!

A couple of things from last night. First, Montreal needs to limit the shots they give up in a game, however on that note a lo of the shots are shots from a distance that Price can see easily and control the rebounds. That being said I would still like if they limited the shots they give up. Second, the Kovalev line looked good again and they will find their groove eventually. Third, a lack of a threat to shoot from the point on the powerplay seems to have stalled it. Markov has great vision and his passes are great but when he shoots they often dont hit the net or are bad shots altogether. As soon as they have a threat on the point the PP will start clickin once again dont worry.

72. Andrew says:

Kovalev was just too sexy with those spin moves!!! it’s like i’m controlling him in a video game…but i just can’t score after the spin.

73. Andrew says:

Another thing that i noticed is that alot of the other nhl teams have cheerleaders aka icegirls. Do the canadiens have their own? or is it just the big orange ex-expo?

74. Habs fan in SF says:

most of those nhl cheerleaders are for american teams … i know dallas has them and i wouldn’t be surprised if tampa and/or florida has them. these are markets where our awesome commissioner is trying to sell the sport to football markets and maybe they can fool them into thinking they’re at a football game – rather than a hockey. i would hope the canadian teams or the original 6 american markets wouldn’t have cheerleaders. and yes, i think youppie has gotta go. as much as i loved the ‘spos, youppie has no business being in a habs jersey. we don’t need a mascot. just win us another cup.

75. Xtrahabsfan says:

OMG,just had a vision of Youpie in a thong,lol

76. Habs fan in SF says:

we stole that win tonight. we were totally outplayed, but we still won. i know those habs bashers will come out and say how we were totally outplayed and we gave up our 2-1 lead in the 3rd (which we gave up very easily on a lucky goal by carolina) … and yes, i agree we were outplayed, BUT good teams find lucky bounces and if we still come out with a win after being outplayed, I will sure take it rather than a loss … carbs left the bench right away after the shootout win and he didn’t look happy. i’d rather him get pissed at the team and make them work harder in practice to work on weaknesses – yet still got 2 points last night. i see some weaknesses, but we still battled back and got the full 2 points – despite giving them 1 point. it’s an 82 game schedule and not all of them are pretty. it’s better we struggle while we get wins rather than losses. that’s all i gotta say.

77. The Cat says:

Carbonneau has a right to be upset IMO, I hnow its a long season and teams cant look sharp every game but the habs havent looked that good since the beginning. Carolina is in the midst of a longish roadtrip and theyre a little hit by injuries. I havent watched all the games but from those I have, I havent seen the habs put a 60 minute effort in. I wonder if high expectations are to blame.

78. G-Man says:

Ya gotta win ugly, too. The season’s young and the Habs are 6-1-1. They can’t all be masterpieces.

Gilbert