Habs win “best game so far” OT hero Markov says (Video)

(Photo: Allen McInnis /The Gazette)

The Canadiens outshot, outhit and out-chanced the reigning Stanley Cup Champions in a thrilling 2-1 overtime victory over the Chicago Blackhawks.

Canadiens defenceman Andrei Markov scored twice, including the game-winner at 1:28 of overtime.

“I think that was the best game so far for us,” Markov said.

“We played from start to finish. We played a strong game. And we have to continue, keep going the same way.

The Habs outshot the Blackhawks 38-20 and outhit them 28-11. Alexei Emelin, who has struggled since returning in November from reconstructive knee surgery, finished the game a plus-2 with six hits to his name on the scoresheet.

“I thought Emelin probably played his best game,” coach Michel Therrien said.

Markov played fantastic, Therrien added.

“But to be honest, everyone played a really good hockey game. Everyone. That’s why I’m so proud.”

It was one of the Canadiens best games of the season against one of the best teams in the league, Therrien said.

“Everyone was involved in the game.”

Tomas Plekanec’s line was matched up against the line centred by Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews. Travis Moen played on Plekanec’s line with Brian Gionta.

Therrien said he was really pleased with how they played and noted they also created a lot of scoring chances. They had a big challenge and met it, he said.

Plekanec, who had 11 shots on goal, grabbed a lot of momentum going into the overtime period, Canadiens goaltender Carey Price said. “He threw us all on his back and carried us tonight.”

You can watch what Markov had to say after the game here:

You can listen to Plekanec here: (You may have to turn up the volume):

You can hear what Price had to say here:  (At the start of the clip he’s referring to goaltending coach Stéphane Waite)

And you can watch what Gionta had to say here:

You can listen to what George Parros, who provided a screen on Markov’s first goal, had to say here:

(Video: Brenda Branswell)

1. Stimpy007 says:

Damn it was a great game, emelin was steller with those hits. Really had their heads up after the kane hit. Havent seen that Markov in a bit, it was nice!

Hope they can build on this a rattle off a winning steak.

2. Danno says:

Great Game, Great Win

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

3. 44har48 says:

Am I a bad person for avoiding CBC like the plague unless the Habs are winning or playing really well? I just hate those Toronto homers but love listening and watching when they have to give credit to the Habs. They almost choke saying nice things about them :)

4. HabsFansince49 says:

I have been quite critical and frustrated by the Habs this year especially individual players and Therrien. This morning I have nothing but praise. What a game! What a team! What good coaching!
    As Markov said we have to continue. He also astutely added that no one is perfect.

5. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

I am most proud of our veteran players. For once, it wasn’t all about Carey and PK. Plekanec was simply brilliant, as was Markov. But so too were Travis Moen and Prust. They may not have been blessed with the talent of guys like Pacioretty, Bourque or Briere, but their hearts are 5 times the size. And they showed it tonight. So here’s to the vets.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

6. punkster says:

Habs performed some voodoo tonight:

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
    but…
    ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

7. Habcouver says:

Ha! My wife just jinxed Fleury by saying the “S” word only a few seconds beforehand.

So extremely happy my mate is a Habs fan!!!

Waiting patiently for #25

While Markov is one of my favourite Habs in recent memory, I am most happy for Parros. He deserves praise and most importantly he gained confidence in his play and his health!

Great game!

Great great game!

9. ProHabs says:

Reporter: Do you feel you guys were almost perfect tonight?

Markov: Nobody perfect you know.

LOL. Great answer.

• Habcouver says:

Markov is so…. Russian :)

Waiting patiently for #25

• savethepuck says:

lost in all the PK benching was Josh saying that MT did the same thing last year against Toronto to Marky. I don’t remember that because watching the game, I probably assumed if he was not on the ice, he must be temporarilly injured.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

10. The Juice says:

Watched the game on the Hawks feed. The announcers were giving the Habs lots of props throughout.

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”
    @JohnnytheJuice

• Da Hema says:

Gary Galley and the CBC were their usual jaundiced selves tonight — but I enjoyed Coach’s Corner! Cherry didn’t want to talk about the Leafs except to show Mrs. Phaneuf skate away from yet another confrontation.

11. 416erHabsFan says:

Parros went +1 on the night and contributed offensively by standing in front of Crawford for the first goal!!!!

• savethepuck says:

I will be the 1st to admit that when Big George came back from his 1st concussion, he went -5 in his first 20 minutes of ice time and I was one of his biggest detractors. I thought he was a huge liability on the ice and ddn’t belong out there. But after that, he seemed to be doing OK hockey wise out there and then he was concussed again. He was huge on the Habs only regulation goal IMO, leading up to the goal and then the great screen on his part . As anyone else wearing the CH on their chest, I hope he does great.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

12. savethepuck says:

lost in tonight’s festivities is that the Laffs dropped to 12th from 10th in the East. I am elated they are losing, but I want them to finish 9th or 10th in the East, I don’t want them to get a top 5 ffs.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

13. Sotxhabsfan says:

So was this a measuring stick game? I wish I had seen it.

14. scarboro_habitant says:

anyone have a link for this game?

15. Danno says:

Best game so far?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• savethepuck says:

They beat Anaheim 4-1 earlier this year and they are 1st in the big bad West, but maybe this was the best game in recent memory.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

16. Rad says:

Habs out-hit the Hawks, 28 – 11. Emelin led the charge with 6 hits, and Bourque and Eller had 4 hits each. That’s how you win hockey games in this league.

17. CH Marshall says:

Damn it missed the game

18. sprague cleghorn says:

Two things to say about that game. Woo. And hoo.

… ‘ow could we forget that?

19. Sportfan says:

Markov the hero!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!