Habs will play eight preseason games in 13 days; Kovalev criticizes Subban

The NHL released its complete preseason schedule on Tuesday with 105 games slated over a 15-day span, starting on Sunday, Sept. 21.

Preseason games will be played in a number of non-NHL cities, including Sylvan Lake, Alta.; Bridgeport, Conn.; Brooklyn, N.Y.; Colorado Springs; Kansas City; Las Vegas; London, Ont.; Quebec City; St. John’s, Nfld.; Saskatoon and Stockholm, Calif.

The Canadiens will be busy during the preseason, playing eight games over a 13-day span, starting with a Red vs. White scrimmate at the Bell Centre on Monday, Sept. 22 (time to be determined).

Here are the other games on the Habs’ preseason schedule:

Tuesday, Sept. 23: vs. Boston at Bell Centre, 7:30 p.m.
Thursday, Sept. 25: vs. Colorado at Bell Centre, 7:30 p.m.
Friday, Sept. 26: vs. Colorado at Quebec City’s Pepsi Colisee, 7 p.m.
Sunday, Sept. 28: vs. Washington at Bell Centre, 6 p.m.
Wednesday, Oct. 1: vs. Blackhawks in Chicago, 8:30 p.m.
Friday, Oct. 3: vs. Senators in Ottawa, 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, Oct. 4: vs. Ottawa at Bell Centre, 7 p.m.

The Canadiens will open the 2014-15 regular season on Wednesday, Oct. 8 in Toronto.

Meanwhile, former Canadien Alex Kovalev took a few shots at P.K. Subban and his eight-year, $72-million contract on Tuesday while he was in Montreal for a charity golf tournament.

“I’m not saying that he isn’t a good hockey player – he’s not the guy,” Kovalev told Philippe Lehoux of RDS. “He’s a risky defenceman and he’s a wide open defenceman. What I’m saying is that he can give up five goals and score five goals, and the score’s still going to be zero-zero.”

(Photo by Dario Ayala/The Gazette)

Former Hab Kovalev criticizes Subban, TSN.ca

NHL preseason begins Sunday, Sept. 21, NHL.com

Canadiens’ regular-season schedule

Top 10 Can’t Miss Games, canadiens.com

Marking the 20th anniversary of Habs trading captain Carbonneau, Stu on Sports blog

1. Gumper Knows Best says:

What’s Kovalov know about Subban? How many games he play against him? 2-3?
    Here’s what I wanna know.
    Was that Kovalev talking for Kovalev or was that Kovalev talking for Markov and sending a big fat message Markov can’t say in public?Was he talking for maxpac and plecky too? The ugly questions nobody wants to ask.

2. Phil C says:

Headline: Kovy compares PK to Hall of Famer and two time Norris winner Brian Leetch…

No no, you are not allowed to find the positive in what Kovy said, we have ourselves a lynch mob here and we need to feed the fire. Don’t forget nobody is allowed to critique PK, it’s okay to bash Markov, bash Price, bash MT, bash MB, etc… but don’t ever ever ever say a negative thing about PK, EVER!

3. Paz says:

The way Kovalev played he should be thrilled with Subban. Subban is as close to an “artiste” as we’ve seen since Kovalev was dazzling in a Habs uniform.

But Kovalev has a problem with Subban. Why?

Jealousy and lack of character.

• DipsyDoodler says:

I don’t like it.

I don’t like it one bit.

—–

¯\(°_o)/¯

• Chris says:

One thing that has been amusing in the whole Dubas hiring is how much emphasis is placed on his analytics side, with very little attention being paid to the fact that the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds were a very good team under his watch as GM. Part of that can be traced to the cyclical nature of junior hockey, with the Greyhounds being due, but he built a pretty solid team with a pretty significant competitive disadvantage (it is hard for the Greyhounds to “convince” players to play for them, especially compared to the powerhouses like Kitchener, London and Windsor).

4. JUST ME says:

I do not mind about former players expressing their opinion . It means that they care in a way. It`s much better than the usual do not care as long as we make money attitude …Former players from teams like the Islanders and the Laffs should express how sad and mad they are about how pityfull their former teams are if they did care a bit.

8 pre-season games in 13 days means we will get to see many many kids and that the veterans will not see much ice time before season`s start. I wish the team could come out flying with the chemistry well established but i understand that MTL is one of the very few places where you can make lots of $$$ at any time of the year…

5. habstrinifan says:

I think omitting Ho Sang from their invitational camp was pandering to the troubling athlete crowd.

I don’t know if he is good enough to make the final team but he is good enough to be invited for a look see.

The article linked to below is a good read. While it affirms the tendency by Ho Sang to be unhindered in speech, it also begs the question about the conservatism and lack of an ‘open mind’ approach from Hockey Canada authorities.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

• Cal says:

Ho Sang sounds like he thinks it’s all about him. That may have made him easy to skip over in a team concept environment.
      This comment, especially, is particularly ignorant for him to actually say to reporters: “They can’t invite me to that stuff because they’re afraid,” he said. A little diplomacy goes a long way.

• Cal says:

@Hstands

Everything HO Sang says in the article is pretty bleeping stupid.

“If you’re going to alienate an 18-year-old kid, like good job. Their job is development and progression of Canadian hockey. If I am a problem child, that means they don’t like problems, that they have an issue with fixing things, that they like when things are easy. That actually means that they don’t possess the ability to develop and that they are just taking players to fit their role that have been developed somewhere else.”
        The WJC is about winning it and not so much developing players. They pick players that fit their needs for the tourney, and nothing else. He hasn’t been invited for other reasons. Maybe, Ho Sang should just worry about his game and whether it translates to the NHL.

The old boys club at Hockey Canada is still alive and well. Ho Sang could probably be a bit more careful in his words, but it is foolish for Team Canada to not at least give the kid a close look, see what he really is, as opposed to judging on soundbites etc….

• Paz says:

Especially since the Junior team has been performing like crap.

• Cal says:

IF there’s an old boys club on Team Canada, Ho Sang sounds like a member of the young idiots club.
        Why invite a distraction to camp?

• Paz says:

Have you seen his interviews, Cal? He is no idiot. He’s polished and very well spoken.

• Cal says:

This is well spoken? “They can’t invite me to that stuff because they’re afraid,” he said.
            That’s a big head with no checks on his ego talking, and that makes him appear to me as an idiot.

• Paz says:

He wants to speak his mind but the hockey world won’t allow it.

• Hstands4Hockey says:

Because he’s a better player than the ones there!!!!! Your comment is EXACTLY what’s wrong with Junior Hockey Canada – valuing politics over choosing the best players. From he comments I’ve seen about Ho-Sang you’d think he was a convicted rapist.

——————————————————————–
          Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
          @Hstands4Hockey

• Hstands4Hockey says:

This whole Ho-Sang situation reminds me of another minority hockey player who was unfairly labelled as a “bad apple with an attitude problem”.

Hope Ho-Sang proves everyone wrong the way PK did – the kid is a phenomenal talent. I saw him play in the GTHL with Connor McDavid – McDavid was by far the second best player on the ice.

——————————————————————–
      Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
      @Hstands4Hockey

• on2ndthought says:

Well he’s got every reason to carry a chip. I just don’t see him skipped over in the draft without real concerns. My impression is another Ribeiro, talented, but not professional enough to take advantage. I was one of the few who were very upset when we traded Mickey Ribs, but I was probably wrong (I wanted a Pat Burns type coach to ‘turn him around’.) Perhaps the snubs will create some maturity, we’ll see.

“a cannonading drive”

6. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning all! Thinking I’m not the only one who had this Love/hate thing with Kovy. There were times when he brought us to our feet yet other times we sighed in frustration. I can’t remember any player in modern times that had his skill yet seemed to play himself off so many teams.

Perhaps, as is often the case with his “foot in mouth” disease, he’ll deny saying those things or blame translation or “context”. Professional athletes and politicians seem to love the old “taken out of context excuse.”

Anyway, the following offers up some great examples of the absolute brilliance of Kovy’s game while looking at some of his worst moments on ice. A bipolar player for sure.

Good Morning Jim, perhaps I need to re-read Kovy’s comments, but I took it more as him just talking about the points of PK’s games that can still improve.

I met a former NHL’er a couple weeks back and spent most of the evening chatting with him. This player had a 60 goal season in the NHL and that was his final year of that contract. He then re-signed with his team for $350,000 per year. I think players are in disbelief with the money being handed out in todays NHL. While Kovy is only briefly removed from the NHL, he probably finds a contract like PK’s to be a contract that only the very best player in the NHL should make, that a contract like that is reserved for a perfect player and he was pointing out that PK is not yet a Lidstrom or a Bourque, the gold standards of their eras for defencemen.

• Habfan10912 says:

Good morning Burly! That makes a lot of sense. I really wish the former players wouldn’t comment on such matters OR I/we fans wouldn’t give a crap what they said.

However, you know me and PK. You mess with PK you mess with me. :)

CHeers.

We don’t like it when an athlete speaks in cliche’s and spouts the usual stuff, Kovy gives an opinion and everyone craps on him and starts calling him lazy, floater etc…..

The way I see it, he gave an opinion, something we are all entitled to, and it is okay to disagree with him. PK needs to hire you for his security detail, especially given your summer of workouts!

CHeers my friend!

• 123456 says:

Agreed – we don’t like when players do not speak their minds and we don’t like when they express an unpopular opinion. I did not think his comments were offensive.

There is one highlight I could watch over and over again and it involves Kovy – taking a hit he didn’t like, going to get the puck, carrying the puck around everyone on the ice so he could meet up with (you know who again) and then stick him in the face with an elbow while still carrying the puck. I guessing almost every hab fan knows this exact sequence!!

• Un Canadien errant says:

Steve Shutt?

Dennis Maruk, what a great guy, and wow, how he was able to score 60 with Ryan Walter and Chris Valentine as his linemates is beyond me.

Was amazed at his size, couldn’t believe it when my buddy introduced me to him. He was a great fellow to chat with and have spoken a few times with him since. Some fascinating stories.

• Lafleurguy says:

Kovalevisms following the path of Lafleurisms.
      Hey, ain’t it great that in 13 days, we’ll be watching 8 exhibition games?!

• Habfan10912 says:

It sure is. You stupid American friend in his excitment of seeing this new post, misread the story and thought his beloved Habs were playing a game in Bridgeport Ct. I jumped on the internet looking to buy tickers only to find out its not the Habs playing there. Sigh.

I did see the Habs once in Albany years ago when they played a preseason game there. Guess I’ll have to wait for the Bulldogs schedule to come out and follow them to Utica, Albany, Binghamton or somewhere close b y. Who knows, maybe I’ll make another trip across the border to the Steel City of the North, the land of Guy, Burly, Kooch and Chuck. :)

I am actually quite excited about the Dogs this year, the new young dmen, the veteran dmen they brought in, some talent up front. I think the Dogs are ready to challenge for a good regular season and hopefully become a top AHL team.

• Lafleurguy says:

Burly, did you catch any of the games in the Bulldog’s championship year with Don Lever, Matt D’Agostini, Maxim Lapierre, Andrei Kostitsyn, Carey Price, Kyle Chipchura, and Mikhail Grabovski? Agree this Bulldog season should be a good one.

No, I didn’t, regret that. Given I won’t be home as many evenings winter watching RDS, hope to attend more Dogs games.

• Lafleurguy says:

Won’t goof twice and miss out on seeing HIO good buddies at a Bulldogs game.

7. Cal says:

For Bard fans.
    C’mon, you knew I had to do the balcony scene eventually. Okay, okay, it’s not quite the balcony scene. Then again, this is not quite Shakespeare.

Hab Fan and Season Yet.

This is the guy that I would have signed instead of Briere. His new contract is basically in the same ball park as the Gionta contract of five years ago.

24 Cups

9. Cal says:

Who cares what The Coaster thinks about PK?
    Lots of preseason games (as usual) to look forward to. The fun begins the 21st of September. The real fun begins the 8th of October in Hogtown.
    Hell, I can’t wait until training camp.

10. EL_PRESEDENTE says:

On comments by Kovalev :
    I respect Kovy very very much. He was my favourite hab from 04 to when he left. He had the very rare ability to take everyone out of their seats with one play. Hell, i even have a poster of the guy on my wall!

Anyway, Kovy should not be held totally at fault for what he said. It would seem that he is has a very very messy picture of what PK brings to the habs. We have to remember that Kovy hails from a different era. He sees Subban through different lenses than we do. He sees a highly skilled athlete who is arrogant and “out there”. No one was “out there like this in his time.

In his mind, someone who has an “out there” persona is not as good a hockey player than someone who would just “shut up and play hockey”. He obviously has not seen subban play much, hence his misconceptions about defensive inability.

How much money has Kovalev made in his career? 40 mil? Obviously there is inflation and endorsements but Subban is making 72 mil in 8 years. Ak might just feel a bit of the horrible emotion that we call jealously.

Lastly, I do not like it when people criticize players for “not giving 100%” you cannot make it in pro sports, no matter how skilled without trying very, very hard. Kovalev is something called a natural. He was born with this incredible skill, that he honed and refined through constant practice. While to an outside observer, it looks like he’s floating, I’m sure he is really trying very very hard. It just LOOKS easy for him. To quote him at a charity event I once attended

” let’s see you go out there and score 40 goals and 90 points.
    Now let’s see YOU do it without trying!”

————————————————————————————————————
    If you are crazy, you can be discharged from the army. But you have to apply for the discharge, and applying demonstrates that you are not crazy. As a result, you will not be discharged.

• Habfan17 says:

It was posted here earlier that Kovy pulled in $55 million and the poster reminded us of that $10 million he “stole” from Ottawa!

Kovy may not like PK’s flamboyant personality, but to call him arrogant in my mind is way off. Pk gives 100% at all times, tries a little too hard at times with his exuberance, but Kovy never played a full game as far as effort goes and except for the occasional shift, never engaged all his skill. I liked to watch him when he was “on” but he never added up to the sum of his parts. He should have had at least a few 100 point seasons.

Habfan17

• Chris says:

Good post.

On top of your comment about making it in pro sports while being labelled lazy, I would also throw in Kovalev’s own experience with a heart condition at age 8. He was told to quit playing hockey, or at the very least limit himself to one day per week. He did not.

Personally, I don’t think that Kovalev is that far off on his comments, although they really only pertain to last season. PK Subban did not have a good defensive season last year. He started strong, and he played well in the playoffs, but he had a miserable middle third of the season where he played well below his talent level in the defensive zone and he wasn’t much better in the final third of the season.

The fact that a one-dimensional player like Kovalev is criticising Subban does not necessarily make him wrong, just hypocritical. Like others, I think Kovalev probably would have been better to keep those thoughts to himself, but when has he ever not spoken his mind about something?

11. The Jackal says:

Hi HIO!

Finally ended up finding a cool 1BR in Montreal, right downtown on de Maisonneuve near Atwater. Pretty pumped to be in one of my favourite cities. I’m thinking of picking up a ticket or two to the same game the summiteers will be attending and hopefully partake in the other events – how is the summit? Must definitely be worth checking out, just wondering what the experience is like, the vibe and all… do you get to talk to everyone or is it too big? Is it like a big gathering with lots of beer? Is it basically HIO in person? There’s no wrong answer here.
    Anyway, looking forward to it and to the start of the season.

Cheers!

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Habfan10912 says:

Hiya Jackal and congrats on your new home. I’m envious.

The Summit is a wonderful event. One of the best events to attend at the Summit for meeting people is the Friday night Hurley’s meet and greet. It’s normally a smaller amount of people and name tags are given out so you can match screen names with faces.

The Saturday morning breakfast and he Baton Rougue pre game dinner also offers opportunities to meet fellow HIO’ers. The Baton Rougue is attended by most of the Summitters, a little more crowded but you can mingle with the crowd and introduce yourself.

Look forward to seeing you there! CHeeers.

12. Rad says:

It’s disappointing to read Kovalev’s comments. You will rarely hear professionals publicly criticize other professionals in the same sport. There is an honor system in play there, since they all know the hard work and sacrifice that goes into being a professional athlete. For Kovalev to criticize a player of Subban’s talent and stature tells us more about Kovalev than it does about Subban.

13. Coach K says:

Kovalev has every right to criticize PK because…

I mean, its not like Kovalev ever once quit on a play.

If Kovalev had consistently demonstrated half the will to win that PK does on every shift then he would have been celebrated as much as Gretzky, Lemieux or Crosby and there would be a statue of him outside the Bell Centre lauding his achievements. IMHO, just another former Hab windbag with too much time (and the fans money) on his hands…

—When Hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too—

14. stephen says:

Here’s something that’s been bothering me for a couple of days.

Up until today, I had only heard passing remarks here and there about the Leafs’ plans for a commemorative monument outside the ACC.

Whenever I heard about it, I was confused at what people seemed to be referencing as the players who would be immortalized ‘on the bench’. Were they really going to nail the likenesses of some of the franchise’s greatest players onto a bench?

Of course, just as one does not spend more time in a porta-potty than one needs to, I didn’t care to look into a Leafs’ matter any further.

I did break just now, however, and looked up the project so that I could finally satisfy my morbid curiosity.

Sure enough, to honor some of the team’s finest heroes, it seems the Maple Leafs will celebrate the electrifying speed and skill, the dogged determination, and the transcendent spirit of these men by…casting them stone-still on a bench.

I understand statues are a static medium, but really, why cast these heroes of the fastest game on earth in such an uninvolved and pedestrian position?

I’m honestly not having a go at the Leafs simply for the sake of having a go. Perhaps I’m thinking too much about this, but it just seems like such a bizarrely misguided attempt to ‘honor’ these men and their achievements.

Apologies if this has already been discussed at length. Time to get out of the porta-potty now.

15. PK says:

Subban still has a chance to win the Stanley Cup with Les Canadiens.

Meanwhile Kovy is done, c’est tout:

1. No Stanley Cups.
    2. Poor effort on many nights.

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

“Une équipe de hockey sur glace de l’île de Mont-Royal va gagner la Coupe de Lord Stanley à 24 reprises dans le 20e siècle et trois fois au cours du 21e siècle.”

– Nostradamus, 1552

• stephen says:

To be fair, he DID win a Cup with the Rangers in ’94.

• PK says:

Sorry, you are right.
        My bad.
        Habs-coloured glasses

P.S. As I was typing my first comment, I thought .. gees, was he on that ’94 Messier-led Rangers team? .. I was too lazy to google it.

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
        _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

– Nostradamus, 1552

• light_n_tasty says:

yeah, to be fair, I’m pretty sure Kovalev has as many cups as the entire current Habs roster.

• PK says:

Hey Tyler – correct.
        Remember, Travis Moen did win the Cup with the Mighty Ducks (2007). That evens things out … for now.
        Hopefully that will change.
        Cheers
        PK

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
        _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

– Nostradamus, 1552

16. Habfun says:

Just watched Kovalev and heard his comments on Subban. Kovalev took the Habs and Senators for a ride the last few years of his career. He is force retired now and should shut up!!
    Subban, use this as a weapon to prove him wrong!!

It’s all about the CH

17. nshab says:

Kovy it’s like this !

PK gives his all every shift and deserves 100% of his salary

Kovy gave 50% and needs to give 50% back

I did love the 50% he gave but it doesn’t come close to PK’s 100%

Habs are now back in the game.

18. DipsyDoodler says:

OK what’s up with that River Monsters dude? What is he stalking?A carp? A big catfish? He makes it sound like he’s in grave danger.

—–

¯(°_o)/¯

19. Habitant in Surrey says:

Although it came from an ironic source, Kovalev the Myth, I’m still content He said what He did, because P.K. is the type that will move Heaven and Earth to ram Kovalev’s words back down His throat :)

It will keep P.K. from becoming too self-satisfied.

• dr. schmutzdeker says:

Good point…I like your thought process.

Anyway, now, what’s the date today?…Acht du leiber..it’s Shark Week on zee Boobz Toob…Again…zzzzzzz

• Coach K says:

Amen HiS! For the record it was more like Kovalev the “Rumour” because that’s exactly what he was on too many nights…

—When Hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too—

20. scamorza says:

when reading Kovy’s comments I am reminded of Winston Churchill’s comment on Russia …a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma. That was also true of his play pure sublime at times soon followed with WTF

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

21. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Last year we had Laraque hypocritically criticizing Parros and now it’s Kovalev’s turn. I still can’t believe he has the gall to criticize another player’s defensive play. This guy used to think back checking was a chiropractor exam. What’s next: Jose Theodore criticizing Price for playing low in the butterfly too much? Unbelievable….

• habstrinifan says:

Geez… you just gave Theo ideas. Any day now……

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

• DipsyDoodler says:

Big George was right about Parros though.

—–

¯\(°_o)/¯

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

About not being a great fighter, yes. However, Parros defended his teammates way more than Laraque ever did. He should have kept his mouth shut after never touching Lucic or Chara.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Who did Parros defend?

All I remember is a couple of staged fights that all ended the same way: Parros looking glassy eyed and having to be shown the way to his dressing room. I haven’t seen an innocent creature that dazed since my brother made my cat inhale a joint.

Who did he defend? And when?

—–

¯\(°_o)/¯

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I guess you forgot the first Toronto game when he fought Orr twice. The second time Orr had his hands on a Norris trophy winner (guess who?). Yeah, Parros never defended anybody…LOL.

• DipsyDoodler says:

He fought Orr because that’s what Parros and Orr do. They’re a couple of sideshow freaks. He wasn’t defending anyone.

—–

¯\(°_o)/¯

22. Habitant in Surrey says:

Rogers NHL Habs Petition Update:

2,210 at this time. +100 more signed in past 48 hours

If You are happy as a Pig in doodoo about the NHL’s black-out policies effecting especially French-language broadcasts of the Habs across Canada, as well as Rogers’ disrespectful dog’s breakfast and drastically reduced access in English of Our Habs across Canada, then DON’T SIGN The Petition !

But if You are frustrated, and MAD AS HELL !!! …then I invite You, respectfully, to add Your esteemed name and support to the Rogers NHL Habs Petition.

Below are latest 10 to immortalize Their internet signatures to Our protest of the amateurish and bastardized NHL, Rogers and TVA broadcast plans for the 2014-2015 season.

As always, thank You to all those that are expressing You are as pizzed-off as I, and for Your support.

Wendell Hume, Canada

Larry Mills
    21 hours ago

Dan Sydenham
    ____________________________________________________

CBC Radio ‘AirPlay’ interview: http://bit.ly/1oRuhhO

Follow Me on Twitter: @HabInSurrey

The Petition was created as the Habs’ Fans’ Voice to protest the effects of the allocation by the NHL to Rogers (Sportsnet) of the overall exclusive national broadcasting rights in Canada, …as well, and as importantly, of the NHL’s own corporate national black-out rules that are preventing French-language broadcasts of Montreal Canadiens’ games west of central Ontario to British Columbia.

Please read and sign The Rogers NHL Habs Petition at; http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-habs-blackout-rds

23. Un Canadien errant says:

I was going to go to the source, hear out Alex Kovalev first-hand, but then noticed the RDS video ran 10 minutes. I clicked to start the video, it began with the RDS reporter asking about Alex’s foundation, and I clicked off. I skimmed the highlights instead.

Alex Kovalex reminds me of Ilya Bryzgalov, a guy who may be overly pensive for a pro hockey player, and a guy who doesn’t know how to put his motor-mouth in neutral. He accedes to the fact that he received a contract that some thought was overly generous in his day, then fully aware of the contradiction, criticizes P.K. for being overpaid too. Very odd.

———————————————————————–
    It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

24. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

this tom gilbert signing worries me, 3 million, i really hope the brain trust knows what they are doing here, we could have brought up a young guy like pateryn or signed a 7th dman for less then a million and had 3 million to play around with.
    i dont know gilbert, i hope you impress me and your worth the 3 million.

also i think markov should be captain. plekenec dosnt get enough repect, pk is just too young and so is gallagher although they will mnake great captain material in a few years, prust hasnt been around long enough and how long will he be here plus he been hurt a lot. patchiretty could be an option but i think he has a huge ego already and i dont know how much of a team guy he is. markov is the best choice until his contract ends, or they decide pk is ready. the thing with pk is naming him captain will ruffle too many feathers in the dressing room, some guys might be jealous of his contract and attention, markov, markov makov dont mess it up going with pleks, wehn u know he might get traded this season, go with markov, might even add a couple years to his career with team mates making sure opposition is taking runs at his knees.

25. UKRAINIANhab says:

Subban is not worth 9 million.

Another team would have paid him 11, and stole him from us.

You need to pay your players, to keep your players, therefore Subban is worth 9 million :) .

I like Kovalev, for all those people who pick on Berkshire for ripping apart others for there opinions, you are doing the same for Kovalev. Don’t be hypocritical! CHeers.

26. Arnou Ruelle says:

Kovalev can say whatever he wants since Canada’s a free country. However, if Subban does take this team to the Stanley Cup final and possibly win it, I don’t think former #14 will say something else.

We all know Subban. He’s been through rough times and like Carey Price, he battled adversity. I just hope this year will be the end of all detractors of our team

27. Marc10 says:

I don’t know that what Kovy said is so controversial. It’s a bit silly to criticize the team for awarding him the kind of money he’d get from many other teams on the open market.

As someone pointed out:

Kovalev: -11 in his 5 years with the Habs (264 pts).
    Subban: +10 in 5 years (167 pts).

If we’re talking risky players, Kovy was a higher risk (and clearly not a 200 foot player…)

28. jols says:

Is the idiom- ‘A pot calling the kettle black’ a racist statement?

I always though it meant someone who calls out someone else for doing things that he/she were known to do. Hypocritical if you will. Just wondering cause someone on another site said it was racist. I’ve heard countless people use this idiom and never thought race had anything to do with it.

29. Jonson says:

Okay, Kovalev needs to keep his mouth closed. Unless he is watching every game that subban has played , he has no business making any kind of comment. Coming from a guy who’s intensity was non existent for the majority of his career means nothing to me. Fact is Subban is a winner, he’s the kind of player who gives the canadiens the chance of winning championships in years to come. He shows up every game, he’s a game changer , and plays with his heart on his sleeve. he deserves every penny he has received cause he is the montreal canadiens. And for everyone who watches all the games they would know that Subban is a good defensive defenceman as well as a beast offensively. Kovalev just needs to shut up, i never did like him ( I mean i loved him at times haha ) but was very happy to see him leave, as a true hockey fan i was embarrassed to see some of the idiot fans rally behind this guy.

30. Old Bald Bird says:

Dear Kovy

At least PK cares and puts in maximum effort. You? Not so much.

OBB

31. WestHab says:

Been a long long time since I posted anything here. But I’ve got my kids hand me down lab top which makes it easier. Anyway kinda miffed about Kovey’s comments on PK. If only Kovalev had half the intensity Subban has.

32. twilighthours says:

@Habfab Frank,

man just assume I’m really dumb and explain to me your “outing” comments cause I don’t get it!!!

• punkster says:

I’m applying for the witness protection program thanks to you.

Release the Subbang!!!

• twilighthours says:

Me!? It was Burly who outed you!

• punkster says:

Can I come hide out with you for a bit?

I don’t eat much but I do need to work on that embarrassing inner tube that seems to be strapped to my waist…you being a runner and vegan and all should be able to help me there…help a brother out, ya know.

Release the Subbang!!!

• twilighthours says:

If I ever get to a summit, we’ll head out for a run. You, me, Luke, and Scamorza.

• frontenac1 says:

Punkster! Don’t be embarrassed amigo. Just put both hands on that tube and say”Cash”. Trust me,you”ll feel much better.. Saludos!

• HabFab says:

Burl hinted but you named him. Anyway it just went along with last nights comments so all’s fair in rapping and jiving :)

• scamorza says:

Twi I am game will be going to the summit and plan to run before breakfast up and down the mountain – bad for the lungs up and really bad for my knees and hips down but think the night before necessitates a good run

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

33. punkster says:

Kovy’s hit on Tucker earns him a pass from me…he can say whatever he wants.

Release the Subbang!!!

34. NightRyder says:

I remember when sports journalism involved more than plugging a nickel into some old player and hoping his stupid comments went viral.

For the record, Kovalev made 55.5M over the course of his career. This includes the 10M he milked out of Ottawa when he laid down and died at the end of his career (after passing on the Gainey contract offer because it wasn’t a three year deal). So his comments on salary are a bit two-faced.

As for Subban’s play on the ice, there is an element of truth to what Kovy says. Once Subban tightens up his game, he will be well on his way to being a perennial all-star defenseman.

24 Cups

• twilighthours says:

Kovalev could have said that about any top-end puck-handling defensemen and it would have been true. Having the puck a lot means that you are going to take risks with it.

• 24 Cups says:

It’s not the risks that bother me as much as the same old careless moves that get repeated on a game by game basis. If Subban improved on two or three small weaknesses, he would be at an all-star level.

24 Cups

• twilighthours says:

Steve,

would all-star level be above or below Norris Trophy level?

• 24 Cups says:

LMAO. I knew that would be coming from somebody.

Simply put, I expect Subban to take it to the next level the way that Price did last year. When that happens I’ll be truly happy!

24 Cups

36. howiemorenz7 says:

Dear Kovy: That is rich. Too bad you’re not. You and Guy Lafleur should get together for some vodka shooters and smokes one day, he’s got some bitter dumbass things to say too. The good news is, PK gets jacked by jerks like you. Keep bringing it.

Maroons Suck. #7 foreva.

• frontenac1 says:

“Crazy Moose and Pesky Sqvirrel!”…Boris Badenoff.

• NightRyder says:

Lafleur has earned the right to say whatever he wants. Kovalev, not so much.

• twilighthours says:

Disagree. Not while he collects a paycheck from the Habs, he doesn’t (or shouldn’t)

• NightRyder says:

I believe we’ve had this argument before!
          In a normal world, you are 100 per cent correct.
          When you’re Guy Lafleur, living legend (who had four years of his career taken away from him by this very organization), winner of five Stanley Cups and beloved hero to an entire generation of Canadiens fans, you get to say whatever you want.
          Same went for the Rocket.

• twilighthours says:

We probably have. Were I Molson, I’d can his arse pronto. But I can apprecaite the difference of opinion, and crack a beer in your honor.

Done.

Kilkenny.

• NightRyder says:

Therein lies the rub. If you were Molson and you “canned his arse” the backlash would never end.
            Every single day you’d get asked if Guy was coming back into the fold. He’d get asked at every event how relations were with the team.
            He’d answer honestly, and it would look bad.
            “Beloved legend still at odds with callous team management” would be Molson’s calling card.
            With ol’ Guy, you just grit your teeth and hope for the best!

• twilighthours says:

That’s all well and good, but what beer are you drinking?

• scamorza says:

isn’t he getting royalties from Wonder bread or Rothman’s

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• JohnInTruro says:

Kovalev is quite rich, but poor taste in comments.

37. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Kovalev spoke the truth, for now. I don’t recall Kovalev playing much defence either, but he had an eye for taking d-men apart when he bothered to show up. His analysis in good. He appealed to the same fans as Subban does, and a few people will be conflicted about that, but most are hoping PK moves far beyond the realm of Kovy. Subban is flashy, but he’s also a passionate hockey player. No one has ever faulted Subban’s work ethic.

PK’s going to take a lot of criticism of the sort this season as he is overpaid. The gamble is that he’ll become worth it, but when you’re paying for potential that is yet unrealized, fan boards and old players get nasty. The first slump will be unattractive.

PK has a lot to prove, and he faces a steep enough learning curve. If he’s the player Bergevin paid the dough for, then it is going to be a delight to watch him. He is already much better than the infuriating Kovalev.

I am really looking forward to seeing what happens with this team next season. I hope they all play brilliantly and raise their games, and I hope the good weather magically extends into December, so we can have the best of both worlds.

38. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Kovalev criticizing PK for playing risky and no defense…LMFAO!!!! You can’t write this stuff…LOL. What’s next? He’s going to criticize him for too many spin-o-rama’s? Does he even listen to himself??? Holy @#@%…

• Jocko says:

DDO, I have to agree. I mean Kovy had some beautiful highlight reel goals, but then that stupid slash in the playoffs that cost us the game in OT. WTF? You know, that one bonehead move is what I recall, and P.K. dismantling the rat is another one I recall. P.K. is a gem, heart and soul guy, Kovy, not so much.

Lafleur and what he says has also been mentioned in some posts. I remember reading an article in ’94, I believe, in The Hockey News, when it was in a tabloid newspaper form, and Lafleur was saying the Habs should trade Roy. When that trade happened, it set the team back. It’s my opinion that it set the team back because Roy was a heart and soul guy. Every team needs one. I believe that is why the Hawks have won two cups, Mr. Toews, and the Pens only one, Mr. Crosby.

I don’t want to see Maurice tonight, I want to see The Rocket!

39. JF says:

Glancing through the comments on the Kovalev story on TSN, it seems that a lot of people agree with Kovy. In fact, many Habs fans would probably admit that there is a grain or two of truth in what he said. P.K. does take risks, he sometimes makes bad decisions, he is sometimes responsible for goals being scored against us. On the other hand, he scores some key goals for us and contributes to many more. He is a high risk, high reward player. And he is not yet even close to reaching his potential. His best years are ahead of him.

P.K.’s contact may seem overly generous at the moment, but he is signed for the long term. In two or three years, the contract will look reasonable, possibly even a bargain. And if we had not been willing to fork over, some other team would have done so. We had no choice. Kovy is entitled to his opinion, but he might have been wiser to keep it to himself.

40. bwoar says:

“PK doesn’t make that many risky mistakes.”

I can’t imagine the mental gymnastics it took to come to this conclusion.

He takes risks with the puck every time it’s on his stick for two strides. And when he gets caught twisting in his own zone, or makes one too many moves East-West in the neutral zone, or skates into 4 defenders trying to beat them all himself, it’s a risky mistake.

41. Habanero78 says:

Hey if anyone knew about scoring five goals and getting five goals scored on them it would be Kovy! He speaks from experience! With that being said obviously Subban isn’t going to be able to win a Stanley cup single handedly. It takes a team!

I have a feeling the big debate with MB was whether Subby would be the performer worth the big dollars or the money would be better spent elsewhere. Hindsight will be 20-20 but I feel it’s better to have Subban than to not!

42. habstrinifan says:

I think HABS should trade P.K for Kovalev and the 2 Kostitsyns.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

Kovalev should not talk to loud, he floated the last 5 years in the league, while being paid top bucks!! But I tend to agree with him. PK’s plus minus is unbelievably poor for such a talent.!

News, Pictures and comments

44. Ocnarf says:

Kovalev’s comments matter as much as any other former Habs’ opinion or the opinion of anyone on a hockey blog. Not at all.

PK will have to perform to the best of his abilities and if he doesn’t, oh well.

At the end of the day the fans have no input on the team. They just need to sit back with a cold one and try to enjoy the games.

Fans should be fans, don’t let management’s decisions or a team loss affect your life.

45. JUST ME says:

How awkward that the last superstar we had in MTL gets to criticize the new superstar. I guess it`s fair game then!

As much as the artist has every right to voice his opinion if i had the choice i would rather go with P.K. and all his up sides and down sides knowing that he plays 100% every game rather than a Kovy showing up one game out of…..

So in two years Charles Wang is out of here !!! The Islanders will be then a team to look for because of their nice talent pool. Up until then with him still leading until the sale comes through it will be a mediocrity battle with the Laffs and the Sabres again…

46. mark-ID says:

Someone mentioned here the other day that the advanced stats website extraskater was no long operational. Thoughts were maybe the creator was hired by an NHL team or was told by NHL to shut down site for copyright reasons……..well it looks like the Maple Leafs are the one who hired the guy. Darryl Metcalfe is his name/
    Looks like the Leafs are taking this advanced stats stuff seriously.

47. piper says:

I liked Kovy when he was here and was one of his few supporters. But it sounds to me like sour grapes. If he had given 100% all the time like PK does he would have been on top of the money list too.

• Garbo says:

You are certainly not one of his “few” supporters. Kovalev was one of the most beloved Canadiens in recent history.

When the Canadiens failed to resign him and he went to Ottawa, there were thousands that marched downtown in Kovalev jerseys in protest.

48. bwoar says:

Kovalev is right.

• Habfan17 says:

Only partially! Pk makes risky plays as do all elite offensive players.
      Money does get doaled out sooner in a player’s career than it used to. That has nothing to do with PK

Yes PK does make risky plays, but so did Bobby Orr, Guy Lafleur, Mario Lemieux, and Kovalev himself. Offensive players generally do. His playoff stats are telling 17 games, 14 points and plus 1. All this while playing against the oppositions best players and being a target! I agree with more experience, he will be even better in all aspects. He is still pretty young and defencemen generally come into their own around 27 years old. If PK did not take the chances he does, would he be the player he is? Would we be as excited seeing him be a long term Hab?

Habfan17

• DipsyDoodler says:

I don’t think so.

If you compare PK to a “safe” defenceman like Gorges, it’s defensively reliable Josh who makes more mistakes. By which I mean giving the puck back to the other team.

If you just shoot the puck back to the opposition all the time rather than try to control it, you might not make any mistakes that make the highlight reels, but you will cost your teams more goals.

And PK doesn’t make that many risky mistakes.

—–

¯\(°_o)/¯

49. shiram says:

Ottawa SenatorsVerified account ‏@Senators

#Sens five-year extension with Clarke MacArthur has an AAV of $4.65M ($4.5, $4.5, $4.75, $4.75, $4.75).

Seems like a good deal to me.

50. sims says:

Weird interview. seems like hes bashing him but then compares him HOF’er Leech?

sounded a little jealous to me

51. jols says:

So 7 preseason games in 13 nights. That is a lot of hockey early on. I guess they will have to keep 30+ bodies around for the preseason It will give many an extended look.

52. Hobie says:

Ah, it will be interesting to see the comments around here regarding what Kovalev has to say about Subban. Going back several years on this site it used to be Kovalev taking abuse from certain posters regarding his dedication to the game and his defensive play. That would outrage the Kovalev fan club. I figure much of the Kovalev fan club is now a part of the Subban fan club.

I’m a a fan of both players but do realize they have their share of deficiencies. The moment I ever mention that though I’m lambasted for being anti-Russian, racist (lol) or various other things.

Kovalev was god to some people here at one point, what is he now?

Hobie’s Habs Video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byrgZ90b5Yw&feature=youtu.be

53. Fansincebirth says:

I just checked my GAFF about Kovalev’s opinion and as I suspected, pinned at ZERO!

What a tool….

54. Jeffster911 says:

Am i the only one whose been staring at the clock and calender all summer long and cannot wait for hockey to start!?! – DROP THE PUCK ALREADY!!!!!!

55. B says:

I’m not sure you should call a scrimmage a “preseason game”. I just hope it is an affordable event with the money going to a worthy cause (something like they did for Lac Megantic last year).

–Go Habs Go!–

56. Luke says:

I want deep fried turkey…

57. Habfan17 says:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even Kovalev. This sure sounds like sour grapes to me! This from a guy with all world talent that used about 60% of it most of the time, but still cashed his cheques!

Habfan17

• Luke says:

I’m guessing that Kovy doesn’t show up to watch every Habs game either…

• Marek says:

I don’t !00% disagree with Kovalev, Subban does make risky plays and does cost some goals. Risky plays often lead to goals for just as much as goals against, once subban can start making the “right” decisions he will be even better

• Habfan17 says:

Yes he does, but so did Bobby Orr, Guy Lafleur, Mario Lemieux, and Kovalev himself. Offensive players generally do. His playoff stats are telling 17 games, 14 points and plus 1. All this while playing against the oppositions best players and being a target! I agree with more experience, he will be even better in all aspects. He is still pretty young and defencemen generally come into their own around 27 years old.

Habfan17

• DipsyDoodler says:

” What I’m saying is that he can give up five goals and score five goals, and the score’s still going to be zero-zero.”

… really?

—–

¯\(°_o)/¯

Okay, John Q Public had a very funny story below, this is not the same, but just ran across this video….. Amazing what people will try.

59. Mavid ® says:

I don’t know why some people are complaining about the ice bucket challenge, if it makes one more person aware, and raises even one dollar more then its a good thing. If you don’t like it just don’t participate just go to the site and donate. No need to shit on those of us who are up for some fun. I was challenged and I was more than happy to do it and post the evidence..I then donated money.

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

60. UKRAINIANhab says:

That’s a lot

61. Kooch7800 says:

A nice article on the benefits of the ice bucket challenge from a family dealing with ALS:

62. Harditya says:

Kovalev of all people talking about responsibilities, gimme a break. Has he ever searched the meaning of the word backcheck in a dictionary? Hypocrites everywhere..

• Say Ash says:

Show some respect to a former captain, eh?

• twilighthours says:

Only wore the C while Koivu was hurt. Not officially captain.

And I agree. Kovalev was a beauty.

But he’s wrong here.

• Harditya says:

Oh yeah, Kovalev is just blooming with captain qualities, critiquing Subban and saying he scores as many goals as he gives up so he doesn’t deserve such contract. I should definitely show respect to someone making such remarks. P.K. may not be a complete player yet on the ice, but he has enough class to not comment on anyone but himself. To me that’s more leadership than Kovalev has ever shown. I mean, realistically, the best cup runs Montreal has had since 93 were with Subban on the team not Kovalev. So he should zip it.

63. MattyHab says:

Who scores the first goal in pre season? Which call up lights it up?

This is a pretty neat picture. Talk about a proud mom in the center of that pic.

65. shiram says:

Kovalev speaks on Subban, The C, the end of his NHL career and Bergevin.
    French piece.

• twilighthours says:

Yo. No, I really loved the wording you used. Barrier of anonymity. The perfect way to describe it. If you put on the Habs jersey, you run the risk of getting accosted by possibly-crazy randoms. Leave the jersey off, stay anonymous, and have peace. I get it.

As for Kovalev, his Subban comments make me sad.

• shiram says:

CHeers Twi, I often doubt my English, I don’t get to practice it as often as I would like.
        And being an introvert, that barrier of anonymity is important for me.

And yeah Kovalev, afaik, he was not known for his defensive game either…

• Say Ash says:

Not a PK fan, eh?

66. John Q Public says:

Here’s how I know I know nothing.

Recently the problem was the light in the hallway was not working.
    First move change the light-bulb. Nada.
    Next get tester. Tester lights up, seems to be power. Maybe the fixture. Change it out for another one. Zip. Hmmmmmm.
    Go get the better tester, watch video on utube on how to use it.
    Testing wires shows no power therefore my cheap tester was giving me a false positive.
    So breaker is on but no power to the wires. Next remove cover from switch. Test wires, zero.
    Then enlightenment came so to speak.
    It’s a 2-way switch. I never use the second switch but maybe in drunken stupor I leaned on it.
    Flip switch, reconnect fixture and voila.

67. shiram says:

Avs should wear the Nordiques jersey for one of the game on the 26th.

68. Luke says:

Also, Lady in Black by Uriah Heep is an awesome song.

69. Luke says:

With all these new threads, we’ll never beat the Ryan White Threshold. #3515.

Some of you may want to watch this video, the guy pouring the water looks awfully familiar, he really Subbangs the water on Andrew!

71. John Q Public says: