Brière skates, but not ready to return to Habs’ lineup

The Canadiens held an optional skate Thursday morning in Ottawa with 16 players taking part before facing the Senators (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Daniel Brière took part in his first practice with the Canadiens since suffering a concussion on Oct. 19, but no timetable has been set for his return to the lineup.

“I don’t have a precise date yet,” Brière told reporters in Ottawa. “I’ve followed protocol and things have been getting better. I can do a little more every day.”

Travis Moen, who has been sidelined since suffering a broken orbital bone on Oct. 26, will return to the lineup while wearing a visor and will play on the fourth line with Ryan White and George Parros.

Carey Price will start in goal for the Canadiens, while Robin Lehner will start in goal for the Senators.

(Photo by Ryan Remiorz/The Canadian Press)

Habs vs. Senators preview, NHL.com

Game Day Report, Canadiens.com

Senators Extra, Ottawa Citizen

Desharnais back in Habs’ lineup, by Brenda Branswell

Brasserie in Paris a home for Habs fans, by Jim Withers

Habs’ fathers get to experience NHL life on the road, by Pat Hickey

Analyst Pang likes Price for Team Canada, by Dave Stubbs

Subban questions aren’t going away, Globe & Mail

Now you can bet on P.K. Subban’s ice time, Stu on Sports blog

Former Hab Montgomery coaching at University of Denver, by Pat Hickey

Eliminating fighting in NHL wouldn’t make game safer, players say, montrealgazette.com

Briere is skating, hope there was music for him, that’s more than he did on the roster. DD should be on the 4th line but for Moan coming back. We will just see if he can get his game back. What we need in an injection of Prust and Emilin back. And a coach that knows how to close out a game with the lead. If we blow this one with Anderson out for the Sens. Then the next move is on Bergevin!

2. Danno says:

Semi-new thread…

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

3. mark-ID says:

Gryba has been a healthy scratch quite a bit lately….. if he is in the lineup, I guess that means we know what kind of game the Walrus is looking for.
    Wouldn’t be surprised.

4. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Was Timo at the Blackhawks game last night? Thought I saw him with a helmet…lol

5. Habilis says:

You guys will appreciate this I think, especially Timo. ;)

Too funny.

6. Bripro says:

Burly spoke earlier of tonight’s contest between the Bruins and Panthers.
    In the spirit of getting the commentariat pumped up, I offer you the following repeat performance:

7. Bill says:

Moen back is great news. He can add some hockey sense to the fourth line and make up for Parros being there somewhat.

8. Danno says:

I scored 94% on the grammar quiz.

I’m feeling pretty damned proud of myself.

I failed to answer the I/me and the who/whom questions correctly.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

9. DipsyDoodler says:

Is tonight the promised Grybapocalypse?

10. Say Ash says:

If a train is travelling west from Montreal at 180km/hour and a bus travels east from Ottawa at 120km/hour, how many points will DD get tonight?

• Luke says:

That bus is speeding.

I wonder if someone will report the driver? It’s rather unsafe and irresponsible.
      It’s not really the driver’s fault, though. That bus should be equipped with a governor to ensure that its speed is kept within the legally set limits.

11. Luke says:

Enjoy the game tonight folks!

Trying to decide if I skip the OHL game (Niagara vs Sarnia) and watch in real time, or fall asleep on the couch watching the recording.

12. Bill says:

Matty: Got 100%, but it was an insultingly easy test for an English teacher.

13. Mattyleg says:

Alright, nerds.
    Here’s your quiz.

Won’t tell you what I got.

What’d you get?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

14. B says:

From the Citizen site linked above: Thursday’s game could also represent the first sellout of the season at the Canadian Tire Centre, much of that due to the presence of spirited Canadiens fans in the crowd. As Lehner joked Thursday morning, “we have to take the crowd out of it early.”

–Go Habs Go!–

So Brett Hull did a live chat with fans in St. Louis today, here is one of the questions and the answer he gave regarding Shanahan as the new Sheriff in the NHL.

I am so excited to have you back in town. Could you ever have imagined Brendan Shannahan would become the discipline czar in the NHL?
    by mellsbells 1:32 PM

No. It’s an oxymoron that Shanahan is the Dean of Discipline. That would be like me being the Minister of Defense.

And when asked about funniest guy he ever played with?

funniest guy you’ve ever played with?
    by randomchapstick 1:35 PM

Marc Bergevin. LOL

He has some great answers, worth a read if interested.

So the Panthers won’t play Thomas in Boston tonight. I wonder if Thomas requested the night off, have to imagine the welcome he would get could be extremely negative.

From my favourite Canadian broadcaster Dave Hodge, this in regards to Rob Ford’s latest video.

TSNDaveHodge: Just witnessed coach Rob Ford’s halftime speech. I assume his team came back to win.

18. Bun E. Laroque says:

Clearly Price is playing the white way so far this year.

19. jacquesthemonkey says:

Bob Gainey – 1
    Guy Carbonneau – 3
    Bob Gainey – 1
    Jacques Martin – 2
    Randy Cunneyworth – 1
    Michel Therrien – 1 so far

So, I think MT will be around until sometime next season.

20. SmartDog says:

@jamman
    You really think Pleks is soft? I totally disagree. He’s not big (or small) but watch him closely. He’s very scrappy. For me, he does a great job playing with just enough sandpaper to get at opposing teams but not get called for it.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• shiram says:

He’s known for his stickwork too, he’s shifty with it.

• Caesar says:

Watch him behind the play, he is disturber of feces.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Anyone who doesn´t hit hard is considered soft here by some. Sad but true.

There are different players with different styles. I love the hard and fair hits Emelin delivers. At the same time I love Eller´s hitting too. It´s often hard enough to separate a player from the puck but not so hard that he loses control over his body. That gives him the chance to pick up the puck and get something going offensively.

That´s smart hockey I love. Seeing a horribly slow player like Murray getting out of position to deliver a hit that might easily cause a good scoring chance on the other hand is something I really hate.

• jamman says:

Sure he’s scrappy Ill give you that. But really, I doubt there is a single player in the league who is intimidated/afraid to go into a corner and battle for a loose puck with Plekanec. In my book that makes him a softy.

21. Ghosts of the Forum says:

This guy has a legion of unbelievable quotes, but this has to take the cake:

“All I can do is reassure the people that I don’t know what to say,” Ford told reporters.

22. donmarco says:

Congrats to Chip Cox for being the Eastern nominee for defensive player of the year. Now if only the rest of the Als could join him in Saskatchewan. Dunigan wrote a highly complimentary article on Popp, Smith and the whole organization this week. Many, myself included, think they ALS will prevail on Sunday. Go Als Go.

23. twilighthours says:

My hunch is that that Habs lose this game tonight, which would be a shame. I hear it’s a gyromoscope game.

24. Sportfan says:

The media is creating the Subban questions…

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• NDG BOY says:

I HOPE HE HABS GET HAMMERED BY THE SENS TONIGHT SO MT GETTS FIRED.

We are not as far as u think

• NDG BOY says:

I MUST ADD IM A HUGE HABS FAN

We are not as far as u think

• Habsrule1 says:

Ya we can tell.
          A Habs fan NEVER wishes the Habs to lose.
          NEVER.
          Not for some selfish reason they made up about the coach getting fired. Not for ANY reason.
          NEVER.
          Did I mention NEVER?
          NEVER.

Go Habs Go!!

25. sweetmad says:

Don’t care if DB,is coming back or not,I just want to out play the Sens,I don’t want silly retribution fights,the playoffs are history.
    What I want to see is MT outcoaching the Walrus,remember it doesn’t matter if he plays his best line, if he is winning,just as long as we don’t play our 4th line,at the end of the game,wether we are up or down.

I don’t want to see Parros in any staged fights,they are demeaning to the game.

I want to see our guys,strutting their stuff,and walking their walk,I want to beat them fair and square,just be the better team.I don’t care who is on the ice, as long as they are productive.

All I want is a win.
    GO HABS GO

26. Bill says:

That idiotic Globe and Mail story raises questions, gave reasonable explanations for answers, then pretended there was still a controversy. That is some bad journalism.

27. Eddie says:

Guy Boucher would be a terrific choice to replace Therrien. Actually, he should have been hired instead of Jacques Martin. Boucher did a fantastic job with some of our current Habs in Hamilton, especially Subban, who Boucher coached to perfection.

I happen to have a ton of respect for Boucher. He is a coach who really works with the players and tries to encourage a positive result from every situation. He is like a hybrid psychologist and hockey coach, extremely smart and respectful.

I would support a Guy Boucher hiring in a second, regardless of his falling out with Yzerman.

I think Yzerman and his management skills should be questioned.

28. twilighthours says:

To the person who posted that Lozo article about Subban, thanks. It was great.

I’m starting to hate Therrien.

52nd!!! Yes!!!

30. Bill says:

Subban-Gate is the stupidest story in the NHL right now.

31. Mattyleg says:

Haha!

“Subban Questions Aren’t Going Away” – Globe and Mail

might as well read

“Globe and Mail Ensuring That Subban Questions Don’t Go Away”

—Hope Springs Eternal—

32. Mattyleg says:

Davey must be feeling the pressure even more now, as Danny starts getting better. There’s no way that DD would unseat Whitey as 4th-line centre, he’s too good on faceoffs and is a great penalty-killer.

I’d rather see Briere back playing centre than DD at the moment. Be interesting to see what happens.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Dogs lost 5-3 last night, but Louis Leblanc did have a goal and an assist. Good to see him putting the numbers up.

34. Jimmy9Toes says:

Quick question, lets say PK signs an 8 year contract this year, how many head coaches will he play for in those 8 years with the Habs?

35. Habcouver says:

Glad Moen is back in line up tonight!
    He was sorely missed.

Waiting patiently for #25

When used in the right role, he is very effective.

Agree with you.

• krob1000 says:

what is that role? IMO I prefer him to be on a line with two guys that can score…I just finished posting ont he old thread (wasn’t aware of the new one) that the team could ice 3 number 2 lines and roll 4 with ease. There are 12 top 9 forwards and I would prefer a 4 line team without the grinder line. Frolik-KRueger, PAille-Kelly, Draper-Maltby…all cup wiinning 4th line stalwarts who were threats to score adn not necessarily physical or tough guys.

You couldhave Moen and Prust on separate lines and witht he emergence opf BOurnival look at the possibilities:

Pleks-Gio-Moen, Dd-Patches-Bourque, Eller-Galchenyuk-PRust, BRiere-Gllagher-bournival………

Those lines are so balanced I honestly do not know how anyone could possibly number thaem….that is the deptht the team has so why dress a grinder line…spread the grit and every one of those lines could be a threat to score, be responsible defensively and be confidently matched against any line.

3rd line checking or on the 4th line. I could see a 4th line of Moen/White/Prust which would be good energy, defensively responsible.

• krob1000 says:

But then we still run into the same problems on the other lines (inability to break up cycles,puck retrieval, net presence, scrums and intimidation,etc). Also the odds of that line scoring are about slim to none together but both Moen and PRust can pop the odd goal if on lines that have better players

• Bob_Sacamano says:

These lines are also very balanced because neither one of them is really strong. Moen is a good fourth liner but he´d drag Gionta and Plekanec down. Eller and Galchenyuk also need someone better than Prust. Bournival – Briere – Gallagher would be a very small line and I really think it´s finally time not to waste Pacioretty again with DD.

When everyone is healthy, Moen – White – Prust would be a very good fourth line. Moen – DD – White also an interesting one.

• krob1000 says:

You can rearrange them how you want ,ignore the lines I have made they were just an example. The “first” line may not be strong…but the second should be better than most teams seconds and the third should be better and the fourth should be a cakewalk. Everyone is on MT for playing the fourth in a close game …well no team would be able ot play a 4th line against a lineup of this variety.

As of right now which line is “strong”? The kid line has struggled and esepcially n the defesnive zone, Pleks line has been the best of late but isn’t exactly shooting the lights out(but Oen has played with Pleks and Gio before and Bournival the way he is playing coule play anywhere). ….let’s say you even decided to keep those two together. That still leaves Prust and Briere to start another line…why involve White? worst case scenario when healthy could be Briere-with Prust and Moen….but I would move Moen to help protect Gio and Pleks (for same reason you said Bournival-Gallagher and BRiere couldn’t play together…how do you explain Plkes-Gionta nd Bournival physically then? they are the same in that light no?)

36. Lafleurguy says:

Pacioretty has a chance to show he belongs on Team USA more than Bobby Ryan. Galchenyuk has a chance to show he’s more like Hertl than Yakupov (all 2012′s). Darren Pang missed out on a golden opportunity to score political points by touting Subban, but he’s touting Price as a newsmaking opinion (yawn).

“May you live in interesting times.”

37. Habcouver says:

Why does Briere travel with the team if he’s not fit to play?
    Motivational inspiration perhaps?

Waiting patiently for #25

38. Captain aHab says:

Man Rob Ford is one entertaining dude……anyone think he’ll be able to avoid quitting after that last video?

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

39. John Q Public says:

There are NO Excuses for this one.
    Someone must get a hat trick.
    Did you here that Eller.
    And so it shall be.

40. Habcouver says:

Lehner… NHL debut? Really?

Waiting patiently for #25