Habs will be going for sweep in Game 4 Tuesday

Before the NHL playoffs started, the people at EA Sports did a playoff simulation with the NHL 14 video game and had the Canadiens sweeping the Tampa Bay Lightning in their Eastern Conference quarter-final series.

That could now happen in reality as the Canadiens take a 3-0 series lead into Game 4 Tuesday night at the Bell Centre (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

The video-game simulation had the Canadiens losing in five games to the Boston Bruins in the Eastern Conference semifinals.

The Canadiens’ Brendan Gallagher offered a word of caution when he was asked whether the Canadiens were in control of the series after Sunday night’s 3-2 win in Game 3.

“Everyone knows the fourth game is the hardest to win,” he said.

The Canadiens practised at noon Monday in Brossard without defencemen Andrei Markov and Alexei Emelin, who both took therapy days. The forward lines remained the same at practice as they have been for the first three games.

“We understand that we haven’t done anything yet,” defenceman Josh Gorges told reporters in Brossard after practice. “You need to win four games to win a series and we all know the fourth win is always the hardest. We can’t get ahead of ourselves by any means because we still haven’t accomplished anything. Our focus has to be like it has been the first three games on playing the right way, playing a complete game and doing all the little things well. At the end of the day, we’ll look back on how the game went and move on from there.”

The Lightning held an optional practice at noon Monday at the Bell Centre.

“(If) we play with the passion and determination we played with last night, I truly believe there’s really not much more wrong that can go against us,” Lightning coach Jon Cooper told reporters after practice. “I think at some point karma is going to come around. You just need it for one night. All of a sudden now—you’ve just got to win one. And then you win that one and everybody is back on a plane. Who knows what happens after that.

“The one thing I really appreciate about our team is nobody is hanging their head,” he added. “Nobody is feeling sorry for themselves.”

On the status of No. 1 goalie Ben Bishop, who has missed the first three games with an elbow injury, Cooper said: “He won’t be ready for Game 4. I can’t sit here and say if he’d be ready for the rest of the series. Clearly we’d have to extend the series for any hope of that. Every day he is getting closer and closer, but no Game 4.”

Lightning sniper Steven Stamkos said he felt “pretty good” after practice Monday and expects to play in Game 4. Stamkos missed the last 3:51 of the second period of Game 3 after taking an inadvertent knee to the head from Canadiens defenceman Alexei Emelin. Stamkos went to the locker room, but returned for the third period.

“It was just a weird play,” Stamkos said after the game. “I didn’t feel quite right. Obviously, I was good enough to come back in. We’ll see how it goes (Monday).”

The Canadiens called up 10 players from the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs on Sunday: goaltenders Devan Dubnyk and Dustin Tokarski; forwards Sven Andrighetto, Mike Blunden, Gabriel Dumont, Louis Leblanc and Christian Thomas; and defencemen Nathan Beaulieu, Davis Drewiske and Greg Pateryn.  They will practise this week, starting Tuesday, in Brossard with the Bulldogs’ coaching staff.

The Bulldogs failed to make the AHL playoffs, finishing last in the North Division with a 33-35-8 record.

Here’s how the Habs lines looked at practice:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Vanek
Bourque-Gionta-Eller
Prust-Plekanec-Gallagher
Bournival-Briere-Weise
Parros-White-Moen

(Photo by Dario Ayala/The Gazette)

(Video from Habs practice by Allen McInnis/The Gazette)

(Locker-room videos by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell)

Game 4 preview, NHL.com

Habs put home-ice stranglehold on Lightning, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

A night to remember at Bell Centre, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Subban, Bourque escape from coach’s doghouse, by Jack Todd

Subban atones for early penalty, by Pat Hickey

Electric atmosphere at Bell Centre, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

Habs sweep Lightning in playoff simulation, Stu on Sports blog

Habs fans photo gallery, montrealgazette.com

Comforts of home, Canadiens.com

Canadiens edge Lightning, take 3-0 series lead, NHL.com

Subban sparks Canadiens with highlight-reel assist, NHL.com

Bourque lights the lamp 11 seconds in (video), NHL.com

Lightning fall behind 3-0, Tampa Bay Times

Bad call ruins Lightning effort, Tampa Bay Times

Stamkos returns after head hit, Tampa Bay Times

Canadiens recall 10 from Bulldogs, hamiltonbulldogs.com

1. SmartDog says:

@peterman

Re. the song the CBC used in the opening last game. I agree it was AWESOME! CBC is doing a really good job on those intros this year. Must be a new guy in charge.

MICHEL PAGLIARO
    The song “Some Sing, Some Dance” came out in 1972 and was a huge hit then. It’s by a Montreal rocker, Michel Pagliaro who had other hits as well. If you’re old enough you’d remember the name. Brilliant song. (I was a kid but remember liking it then!) You might know another song of his – “What the Hell I Got”. Also great.

I just picked up both on iTunes. :)

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• SmartDog says:

Re the CBC Intro. Thanks to those who posted the link below… here it is if you DID NOT see it you MUST!

I know people crap on the CBC and for good reason. But this intro is AWESOME. The shots are so well chosen, the rhythm is beautiful. The sequence where Bourque speeds up to the drum beat and then scores is brilliant. And they never show the cup even though the message “to hold you” is obvious.

Seriously, this is one of the best Hab promos I’ve ever seen.
      DO YOU AGREE?

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• sprague cleghorn says:

Not to mention “Rain Showers”, and my personal favourite…

Plus a ton of hits en francais. (Check out “J’entends frapper” or “Louise”). Pagliaro — a great Montrealer.

… ‘ow could we forget that?

• PeterMan says:

That is the year I was born so I don’t really remember, but it sounded really familiar so I am sure I must have heard it before.

I agree that was an amazing video, and the song made even better.

2. Lafrich says:

I am fine with everyone that is anti-hab (can you say TSN?) being up in arms about the goal that they feel should have counted, but to say that it was the turning point of the series?!?! Habs up 2-0 in games and would have been down by one lousy goal with more than half the game to play?! I am confident they would have found a way to win anyway. I mean give me a break already!

• bwoar says:

Turning point in the series was Gionta’s short-handed goal.

• arcosenate says:

It’s actually quite funny to watch, this last spit of venom before the NHL broadcasting rights leave both CBC and TSN. (I realize regional and Saturday night games remain but CBC has lost production rights) The Sportsnet guys were raving about the Habs yesterday on Hockey Noon.

So long haters!

3. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

If you had asked me before this series if the Habs could sweep, I would have said that it wouldn’t happen, especially considering the fits that they gave us in the regular season. I’ve also been reading a lot of comments after game 3 suggesting that we can’t win in 4, that Tampa is too good to go down that quickly.

I say, “why not?”. We’ve beaten them 3-straight, including a dominating win in their own arena were we didn’t have the benefit of the last change. We’ve been shown to have an edge over them in a number of key areas. I think that we have just a good of a chance of beating them tonight as we have the other three games.

If the Habs win tonight, I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised. #GHG!!!

X X X 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

4. GoldenSeal says:

I think tonight’s game will give us a good indication about how deep the Habs can go this season. If they show some killer instinct and put the Bolts out of their misery tonight, look for a deep, deep run. If they play like they already have it in the bag it will not be a good sign.

As for who the Habs should play next, there is no doubt that Wings on paper are the easier team, but the Habs always have a psyche premium on the B’s and I prefer the excitement of a B series to the Wings. No offense Babcock but your hockey is about as boring as some Habs home games this season.

5. GoldenSeal says:

I’m getting the sense that there is almost a visceral hatred for the Habs from the ROC. We already know about TSN and HNIC anti Hab bias but what is it with the Habs…I don’t like the Leafs but I cannot say I hate them…of course the Bruins are another story, heh!!!

• DipsyDoodler says:

I don’t follow HNIC closely but for some reasons I was exposed to coach’s corner on Sunday, and it did not seem to me that Cherry was cheering against us, quite the opposite.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• bwoar says:

Wearing my Habs jersey going across Winnipeg on the bus this morning, from the western edge, through downtown, way down Pembina to the south side: nothing but love. Other bus riders, and honks and thumbs up from drivers, a couple fistbumps on the street. This is typical whenever I wear the sweater, actually.

A couple of knowing nods and kind words from guys in Bruins shirts too, heh.

6. JF says:

J.T.’s piece on “The Resurrection” makes the point that the unexpected emergence of Rene Bourque as the power forward he has all the tools to be will force opposing coaches to include him in their game plan. Before the series began, Bourque was likely no more than a footnote in Jon Cooper’s game plan, which must certainly have centred on containing our top line. With Bourque leading in goals and creating chances every time he’s on the ice, Cooper will have to shift his focus and probably dilute his coverage of the Desharnais line, a move that could result in more time and space for that line.

7. billylove says:

Guess the home ice “advantage” isn’t over-rated in the West. Not a road win yet.

8. shiram says:

Marleau, O’Reilly, St. Louis voted Lady Byng finalists.

What I like is that for a change the focus is on the other coach’s antics with Coopers silly media scrum thing and complaining that everything that could go wrong has against Tampa.

10. arcosenate says:

If the Habs win tonight the potential week off will be quite a plus, time to heal some wounds and avoid getting new ones. Might even get a pretty good offensive player back in that time.

Should be motivation enough to come out strong again, be very beneficial to put it away tonight.

11. Mavid says:

I read an excellent response yesterday..”have you got your broom out”..”no but I am looking at it”…hoping for a sweep tonight, I dont’ see any reason why not, but you never know. I cannot imagine TB going without a fight..
    I was off for the last 4 day so its busy..which is great, makes the time fly by faster…GO HABS GO

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• arcosenate says:

You really can’t have a better situation, this is the game you show your killer instinct, put it away tonight and you do yourself some serious good.

• boing007 says:

I found that comment in the TSN game summary comments after the Habs’ third game. I wonder if he’s still staring at that broom?

Richard R

12. SmartDog says:

5 THOUGHTS:
    1. Bruins or Wings? I’d rather play the Wings. I think we’re just as likely to beat one as the other. And while I’d ENJOY watching Habs-Bruins more, I don’t want our guys to get injured by their a-holes.
    2. Stamkos. Stamkos is displaying great character but low intelligence. He should not be playing. (And at least HIO adds the word “inadvertent” hit to Emelin’s knee.)
    3. Cooke. The league needs to throw the book at this guy. 10 games minimum I think. Personally, I’d rather he sit out a year or even be permanently thrown out. That would be a true lesson for all. And save some careers.
    4. Our PP. The biggest issue still seems to be not enough net traffic. The Red Wings do this thing where 2-3 guys slide across the front of the net creating a screen. I’d like to see the Habs do something like that. All this periphery play is ridiculous (and not working).
    5. Bulldogs. Yesterday someone was asking about the Bulldogs ‘call-ups’. As I understand it after the playoffs start the team can carry as many players as they want. So the best of the Dogs are called up and “officially” on the Habs, available if needed. (BTW, last in the division? Does anyone else wonder if the coaching staff in Hamilton needs some change?)

SD
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Mavid says:

I have to agree on the Bruin/Wing..it would be sweet to eliminate the chowda heads, but at what cost. The wings would be alot more fun to watch..
      Stamkos is a warrior..how can you not like this, it may be his last game of the season..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• boing007 says:

Want to see Datysuk vs The Turtleneck.

Richard R

• LizardKing12 says:

There is nothing to like about what Stamkos is doing. If he is indeed concussed, which his lack of balance and ineffective play after the hit suggests he most likely is, then playing is extremely dangerous. An easy example would be Crosby 2 years ago, got concussed, didn’t take the proper amount of time to heal up and was concussed a second time by a hit that was very routine and non-violent. He ended up missing a ton of time instead of the 2-3 weeks it would’ve taken him to properly heal the first time. There is a lot of long term risk involved when dealing with concussions and getting concussed while already concussed seriously exacerbates those risks. The macho tough guy play through getting your “bell rung” attitude is passe and pathetic.

• Mavid says:

As noted above, it is probably not the smartest decision..however my point is you have to love the guy for his warrior spirit and drive. I am sure he understands the risk..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• DipsyDoodler says:

1. Agreed.
      2. A hockey player, in short.
      3. Ban him for life.
      4. Detroit’s PP is 0 for 6.
      5. Only 6-8 AHL players per team are prospects. The rest are career AHLers. Wouldn’t make much of their final position.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• Kooch7800 says:

In regards to your point 5 the bulldogs have been a mess for the last few years really. They need to get their team back into the playoff picture so the young guys can get some exposure to the playoffs in pro hockey.

They need to balance out the vets with the kids. It is the offense that is the biggest problem. The bulldogs don’t have any. They need to bring in some vet AHL’ers to help up front and balance out the kids and to teach them how to be pro’s. The big character factor.

I do also agree that a coaching change is in order.

• bwoar says:

1. Wings. I like seeing the B’s get eliminated in round 1, thanks.

2. He’s old school and a major competitor. Remember Paul Kariya after the Stevens hit? Can’t call him out for it.

3. Perma-ban. Tired of his antics. Where’s Evander Kane when you need him?

4. Spot on, dawg.

5. A team full of super young players. Not worried.

• Maritime Ronn says:

1) Boston all the way…
      3) Detroit PP was 18th ths year and the Habs 19th.
      So far in the playoffs they are 0 for 6.
      Habs are 1 for 11.
      The Habs will be OK.

• bel33 says:

Great points all around.

Agree on the coaching in Hamilton… doesn’t really seem to be working.

- I’d buy that for a dollar! -

13. sprague cleghorn says:

Tell Tampa to wear something pretty, because the Habs are taking them out tonight.

… ‘ow could we forget that?

14. bwoar says:

Quick hits as I’ve scanned the thread:

Zemgus Girgensons just “makes things happen”. He’s that kind of player. Maybe he has one outlier season of 50+ points but I’d take him any day. He’s a gamer.

As a big fan of Tyson Barrie, well, eff you see, ‘k. Matt Cooke must get the hook.

Pateryn, Beau et al: let guys come in at 23/24 and be NHL ready. They have everything to gain in the maturity and experience department. I’d love to call guys up for good, and never send ‘em back. That’s how you do that. Bigger question is, Pateryn or Nygren? What will MB do?

Galchenyuk will only draw in if there an injury or the 5-on-5 scoring dries up.

The reffing is always the same at this time of year, and class be damned, I think we need to be ready to take the same advantage as the other teams in the playoffs. The insistence that we handicap our team with persistent baggage like class, cultural heritage, etc. makes for a nice feeling but puts us at a disadvantage tactically. I’m not for it even if I appreciate it. I guess I’m conflicted but the brain says, “punch ‘em if you can.”

Chris Lee? Buy extra beer, the game will go to OT.

• LizardKing12 says:

In the past 15+ years the Habs have lacked the skill to win in the playoffs while simultaneously being classy. I think the tides are turning now. This is a team that is full of talent and speed more so than any Habs roster in recent memory. Pacs and Vanek are highly skilled power forwards with 40 goal potential, Gallagher is a power forward in a small body and has great finish, Eller and Bourque are finally playing to their potential as both have the size speed and skill to be premier offensive talents and are showing it in the playoffs. Finally, PK Subban is playing Norris caliber hockey again and his skill level is second to none for players at his position. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention arguably the best goalie in the NHL sits in front of the Habs crease, CAREY PRICE! When you have enough talent and veteran experience on a roster you can afford to be classy and win in the playoffs, look at the Red Wings of the last 20 years, no better organization and none with more playoff success and I would argue one of the classiest teams in the NHL.

• bwoar says:

“When you have enough talent and veteran experience on a roster you can afford to be classy and win in the playoffs”

It’s hard to disagree with those great points, Lizard. I have to wonder if we’d feel like that down 0-2 vs. the Bruins or other goon team though. Maybe. But it looks great up 3-0 against the Bolts.

While I appreciate the class, and it makes me that much prouder to cheer for the team, and the wins that much sweeter…. I’m not gonna lie, a dirty Stanley Cup is better than the cleanest, classiest, fairest round of golf.

• LizardKing12 says:

I agree I would take a dirty Cup over a clean early exit any day of the week. That being said if you build your team properly you can have your cake and eat it too! Clean doesn’t necessarily imply devoid of physicality. The Wings teams of the last two decades have had their fair share of gritty players who fought hard in the corners, were pests in front of the net and dished out big hits, it is part of the game and necessary, but head hunting and spearing guys in the nuts is definitely neither part of the game nor necessary. The ’70s Habs could defend themselves but their game was based around speed and skill and more often then not they left the big bad bruins and broadstreet bullies trailing in the dust while we soared to final after final!

15. shiram says:

Feels like there’s nothing to say.
    Just waiting for the game to start.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Hi Shiram.
      You probably noticed — but are too polite to say so! — but some of the heavy-hitters here came in on your side on the Prust discussion! I defer!
      Hopefully he continues to improve.
      Cheers

16. PeterMan says:

Looking for a little help, before the game Sunday they showed a Habs montage on CBC and they used a great song, I remember thinking that I should go get that song… Now I forget what song it was?!?

Anyone remember??

17. Maritime Ronn says:

22 minutes ago
    @TSNBobMcKenzie: CAN leads RUS 1-0 midway thru U-18 World Championship game.
    On TSN now.

18. Prop says:

Dis goin’ be gud…
    Chris Lee and Francois St. Laurent are the refs for tonight… I guess Cooper’s bitching got him somewhere.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Marc10 says:

Nothing Chris will be able to do. The boys have got this.

Ginette will sing. Bourque will score. Price will shut them down and the city will rejoice.

It’s time to give Little Johnny his much deserved rest. Time for bed.

• Mavid says:

You have to be kidding…Chris F Lee…of all the dirty low down…hope they boys are practicing the penalty kill….

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

19. Maritime Ronn says:

@ munch17 jr

Don’t worry about the power play.
    Playoff power play is overrated as recent playoff history shows.
    Goals are almost a bonus.

Last year when the Hawks won the Cup, they were at 16.7%.
    The year before when the Kings won – 12.8%.

It all comes down to 5X5 hockey.
    Those 2 teams were the best in their respective playoff years concerning Goals For/Goals Against ratio in 5X5 hockey.

The important specialty team is the PK.
    The Hawks and Kings were 90.8%-92.1% respectively,

Of course winning 5X5 hockey and dominating the PK means great playoff goaltending/Team Defence – and it ALL starts there.

When these goalies won the Cup:
    Crawford: .932 SP. 1.84 GAA
    Quick: . 946 SP. 1.41 GAA

20. Hobie says:

Is it beer time yet? looking forward to getting home, flipping on the tube, cooking some dinner and cracking a cold one!

6.5 hrs to go…

TSN says Cooke has been “offered” an in-person hearing, meaning at least 5 games. WTF does “offered” mean? Can he decline the offer? Can he countah-offah?

• Hobie says:

I think that means he gets a minimum 5 games with no chance to defend himself if he doesn’t go in person? His offer is to go and plead not to get 5.

• Cal says:

Cooke’s season is over. All those other incidents will see us rid of him, probably into next season, as well.
      With a little luck, he’ll be out for good. Then, he will land a job as expert analyst on HNIC.

• Kooch7800 says:

Suspend him for the rest of the playoffs and if they get take out first round give him 25 games on the next season. He is a POS and is showing he doesn’t learn

• Phil C says:

I think it means he has the option to come explain himself, or they can decide without his input. He is not obligated to explain anything but it’s usually in his best interest.

22. DipsyDoodler says:

Looking at the draft predictions, I see the 28th ranked North American is named Brendan Lemieux. That could be our pick.

Born in Colorado.

Could it be?

Well, yes it is. Son of Claude.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

23. Phil C says:

Cooke’s pattern is so obvious. Every single time he has hurt someone, there has been an incident earlier in the game where he gets roughed up and something inside him snaps and he puts a target on someone. This guy should not be in the league.

24. munch17jr says:

I’m as high on this team right now as the rest of you. However, as habs fan born in the 80s, you’ll have to forgive me for bringing up the one clear negative: OUR POWERPLAY IS TERRIBLE.

It’s one thing to outplay a lightning squad that is missing some key components, but come the Bruins, there is no way we’ll be able to compete if our special teams aren’t up to the task. If our PP can’t score, the Bruins will run all over us.

As great a job as MT has done (and I mean it, we’ve looked really, really good in this series), why can’t we make changes to the PP – it sucks :(.

• Chris says:

I’ve actually found that the power play has been pretty good in this series. They have just the one goal, but they have had some very confident power plays over the past two games where they are zipping the puck around.

I would still like to see Subban getting his shot off a bit more, but the power play is miles and miles better than it was in the last 10 games or so of the regular season. They are generating chances and wearing down the opposing penalty killers with the movement.

• Ozmodiar says:

Knowing the PP is so bad, perhaps the team is playing with more urgency 5 on 5. :)

Here’s my thinking with the PP. Why not try Briere between Max and Vanek? A little competition, keeps Briere more engaged, a little shake-up, … Why not? They can always go back to DD if it doesn’t click after a few tries.

• Timo says:

They need to stop this perimeter thing and try to get inside the defensive box. Too much pretty passing, too little guys in front of the net and shooting.

25. Luke says:

Good Morning Folks!

Usually I hate Tuesday. It is the worst day of the week, for us Monday to Friday, 9 to 5′ers.
    If you had a good weekend, there’s some carry over to Monday. Wednesday? Well, the week is half over. Tuesday? Tuesday is the February of the week. Tuesday sucks. It’s has no feel.

Well, today is different. This one has a feel.

I’ve got my fancy coffee and some post work beers already scheduled. I’m ready to go.

Looking forward to this game, but expectations are tempered. It is so difficult to sweep a team in the NHL, and Tampa will leave it all out there on the ice. There is no reason to hold back. There is nothing to save that last gasp of fetid air.

Habs have got to be absolutely ready from the opening whistle. I think Tampa will come charging out and for the first 5 or 8 minutes and try to overwhelm the Habs. If they can hold them off, Tampa will begin to break down. All that effort and no result will see them with tired, winded, spent and demoralized.

A 2 goal first period lead by the Habs will make for a quiet second and third.

Roll those four lines and keep everyone’s minutes low.

26. 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Hooligan Hockey under the watchful eye …

Less than a minute into the Hawks Blues game, the puck is in the corner to the left of Miller. Holding it in is a Hawk player and then Polak or Jackman, delivers at least 6 upper cuts to the lower back of the Hawk player while on a direct line from the opposite corner, the ref smiles beatifically … even the commentator was stunned that their was no call …

I feel bad for St-Louis but they are the Western Conference poster children for that kind of crap (and they have our former Marchand, Yappiere)

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• Kooch7800 says:

The Hawks were playing pretty dirty in the previous game. That series has been pretty physical. The LA vs San Jose has had some been really physical as well

Shoutout to Chris re this summer’s entry draft.

In a consensus draft poll, the player you mentioned, Robby Fabbri, would be selected 26th overall this summer.

Montreal (as of this moment in time), would select 21st and possibly choose Nikita Scherbak who is the consensus pick for that spot.

24.2 Cups

• bel33 says:

24.2 Cups signature -> well done!

• 24 Cups says:

.2 is for making the playoffs. That will move to .4 once Montreal eliminates Tampa. The idea came from Rob (krob1000) a few years back.

24.2 Cups

• Chris says:

I would **love** to see Montreal land Nikolay Goldobin from the Sarnia Sting, a guy who is often mentioned around 15-25. He’s a tremendous player, and he would fit Montreal very well. He finished with 38 goals and 94 points in 67 games for a terrible Sarnia team. I saw him a few times last season when I was catching Sting games to see Galchenyuk, and he really stood out from the crowd: good skater, great shot.

• 24 Cups says:

Chris – Believe it or not but Goldobin is ranked #22 right behind Scherbak!

24.2 Cups

• Chris says:

CSS dropped Goldobin to 24th among North American Skaters in their final rankings…not sure why he kept falling this year, as his play was outstanding.

I see his rankings anywhere from 20-30.

One thing that I’ve always found with the draft rankings: WHL players tend to be overvalued. I’ve never really figured out why the WHL gets this reputation as a tough, low-scoring league. It may have been that once upon a time, but it has become a pretty high scoring league in more recent years.

WHL players get a reputational bonus that is perhaps not deserved, while QMJHL players suffer a MASSIVE reputational penalty that is emphatically not deserved.

• Loop_Garoo says:

Sometimes a players rating will fall simply because other players catch the scouts attention, not because of the player himself. The “new” finds often seem more glamorous or look like a draft day steal, but may not be better players than those they pass.

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Chris, is there a perception that the WHL players are ready for the bigs sooner and thus act as cheaper players for the budget teams?

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• Ozmodiar says:

Yeah, he’s fun to watch, that kid.

Unfortunately, the Habs will probably go with BPA – Biggest Player Available.

• RiverviewCanadien says:

I would love to see the Habs land Barbashev (unlikely though). I have gone to a number of Moncton Wildcats games this year and have seen him in action. He can skate, score and hit. Lots of talent from that kid…

XX|XX|XX|13|12|11|10|9|8|7|6|5|4|3|2|1

==============================================
      Folks, it’s Playoffs time, and that’ll keep ya on yer seats!
      ==============================================

28. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

Chris Lee, Oh oh.
    Double down, ♥ ♥ Refs !

The latest from JT.

Did any Hab fan ever see the day looming where Alex Galchenyuk might not be able to crack the regular Hab line-up?

24.2 Cups

• krob1000 says:

I recall saying it a while ago…he has the skill but for playoff hockey the intensity and forechecking are necessary components of Montreal’s game. His acceleration and aggression are the only knocks on him right now….but at this time of year they are very important. Some of the smaller guys like Gally and GIo, Dd,etc are still very good in puck battles and maintain possession or gain possession in the shadows of monster dmen. Chucky still loses more than he wins in puck battles and hasn’t learned to use his frame yet. It is kind of like the Seguin days….he will see some action but may be platooned. The advantage Seguin had was elite speed as a kid…Chucky has elite hockey IQ and open ice skill….but there isn’t room for him on the 1st pp and there isn’t much open ice in the playoffs. His day will come…and he will get in the lineup at some point and likely surprise but personally I don’t believe he should have dressed in Game 1 even if healthy…I know that won’t be popular but the team has more battle tested vets and guys with a history of elevating their play this time of year.

• 24 Cups says:

Totally agree. At this point in time, Galchenyuk, much like Tinordi and Beaulieu, is all about next year. Of course that could all change if Prust isn’t able to hold up throughout the playoffs.

24.2 Cups

• Chris says:

I’ve not been at all impressed with Prust thus far, but I’m taking his play with a grain of salt because he’s coming back from the long layoff. He’s not hitting, his skating looks laboured to me, and he’s making too many coverage mistakes.

His spot is safe, though, because the Habs don’t really have anybody else to kill penalties with the current line-up. Plekanec, Gionta and Eller give you three, but I wouldn’t want to use any of the other guys in that role, which leaves Prust by default. White and Moen can also kill penalties, but they are on the outside looking in right now.

• Ozmodiar says:

Yeah, Prust has looked pretty bad so far. :)

When Chucky’s healthy, he’ll take his spot on the 2nd line (1st line being Bourque-Eller-Gio). ;) Prust will move to the 4th line, replacing Weise or Bourni.

There’s no way Chucky will be a healthy scratch.

• Chris says:

Oz: As Rob pointed, out, that is not at all clear to me. Therrien has shown a hesitancy to break up a winning line-up throughout the season.

I can see Prust going down to the 4th line to replace Bournival, but I’m not sure that it would be a good thing for the team. Bournival has been playing well, and Weise, Bournival and Briere complement one another because they are all good skaters. Prust would slow down that line, like he does with pretty much any line he is on.

Prust is not going to sit, however, so Bournival is the most likely victim of the numbers game when Galchenyuk returns.

• 24 Cups says:

Chris – Prust has been shaky but Therrien will go with him right down the line.

Ozmodiar – I can also see things working out the way that you have described. My only cautionary note is that Glachenyuk hasn’t been as good as some people believe mainly due to the fact that they are viewing him through his potential, not his real live action on the ice. That’s not a knock against him just more of a realistic opinion.

24.2 Cups

• Ozmodiar says:

With the team winning, I’ll bet there’s no rush to get Chucky back in the line-up. However, loses, mini scoring slumps, and rough patches are inevitable, so eventually there will be a “reason” to change things up a bit.

Chucky back on the 2nd line reduces Prust’s role to PK, energy role… which might not be a bad thing.

• Loop_Garoo says:

Oz, you may be right, but I think he sits until things get tougher and a change is needed, simply due to MT’s love of vets

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Zero argument … the comparison to Sequin is exactly what I had thought as well

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• DipsyDoodler says:

If Chuck gets healthy I think he comes back to the lineup. Maybe 4th line instead of Bournival, maybe Plekanec line with Prust dropping to the 4th.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

30. JF says:

In hockey news today, Ginette Reno is awaiting medical clearance to sing tonight.

31. Fansincebirth says:

I know we have beaten the big nasty buttholes from Beantown this year but to tell the truth, I really don’t want to meet them in a best of 7 series. The way the league is turning it’s back on all the crap headhunting going on, I would anticipate a bloodbath and the league will turn a blind eye just like they have and are doing now.

I get the desire to meet and beat Boston and prove we’re better than them but do you really think Chara, Lucic and the rest of the knuckle draggers are going to stick to hockey? Mark my words, if we meet them, we’re going to missing a few players and what do we have to come back with? Parros? Murray? We put them in and we have pylons on the ice. Prust is still hurting and they will run him hard.

Call me chicken but….if the league would get serious about intent to injure I’d be all in.

• Hobie says:

Yup. I agree 100%. I’m a bit worried about what happens when we take Bouillon or Weaver out of the lineup, or both, and bring in Murray and Tinordi.

I think Murray against Boston is OK if he’s in the groove. He’s slow but Boston is not as high flying as Detroit or even TB. Tinordi isn’t necessary slow but he has the occasional brain cramp as we’ve seen this year. Dropping them into a series against Boston cold could be a bad idea.

Or we leave things the way the are, watching Canadiens defencemen knocked on their assess all night and have no answer for Boston’s brutality.

The real question would be if putting Murray and Tinordi in against the Bruins makes us a better team overall? Or is better to get the crap beat out of us without a response. Which is the better way to win the series?

Do we play better defesively, clearing the net, nailing Bruins at the blue line and in the corner with Murray and Tinordi or is Weaver’s and Bouillon’s quickness more beneficial?

• krob1000 says:

The thing is Hobie…the Bruins toughest players are their top end players…..if the HAbs can get Murray to trade off with ie Chara and get a misconduct along with him…advantage Habs. Those guys know that and won’t want to fight a guy like Murray…or Parros for that matter. Parros will follow Lucic around and Murray will taunt Chara. Personally I believe both Lucic and Chara would win the fights,……but they won’t want to fight…and it will help tame things. The Habs can dress a very tough lineup to set the tone if they wish…..the BRuins are also a 4 line team so ultimately the Habs have to beat them at the Habs game and not get sucked into that but for Game 1 anyway I can see MT dressing some grit and the Habs establishing early that they won’t be pushed around. From there…you let the hockey begin. Weaver likely stays and Murray draws in …could go the other way but I can’t help but think of how diff’;t the Bruins and Sens for example are when Montreal dresses Parros and MUrray….all of the sudden the usual suspects who run around for some reason go into pussycat mode…they aren’t in every scrum,aren’t running the smaller guys and in the Bruins case….Julien probably doesn’t want to lose Chara or Lucic for any significant amount of game time.

• Hobie says:

First off, I would never dress Parros in a playoff game. Murray, I think he has some value. He is a very good penalty killer and showed he was a steady defenceman after a rough 1st 15 games or so.

In the playoffs you don’t necessarily want Chara or Lucic fighting, sure. If the score is out of hand that’s a different story.

In the regular season though, the Bruins are so two faced it’s unbelievable. They use the excuse of Lucic or Chara not wanting to fight a 4th liner because they’re afraid they might be beaten up and suffer a hit to their reputation.

The second one of those two goofballs sees something they don’t like they’ll jump on and pound someone, regardless of what line they play on. When it comes time for one of them to answer the bell they often use the excuse of not wanting to get taken off the ice when the potential opponent is super tough, like Murray.

• Fansincebirth says:

I’m not worried as much about fighting in the potential series as I think the Bruins don’t want to go there for the ‘what if’ factor. For me, it’s the Wild Wild West approach to the game by the league and the “it’s a hockey play” mentality. If the league took a serious approach to head shots (3 games is not a serious approach) or the blatant attempt to injure then I’d be all in. They will target our star players, going after Subban, Markov and Georges on the back end and who knows when it comes to our forwards. Maybe I’m making more out of this than needs to be or maybe I’m just sick of the on ice WWE that Buttman sells as hockey.

• Hobie says:

That’s why I think we need Murray and Tinordi in there. Therrien should tell them to attempt to injure Bergeron, Krejci and Igina. There is no debating that’s what the Bruins will be trying to do.

• Cal says:

Count me among the 44% that wants to destroy Boston and their Gooins. Murray will be in if the Habs face Boston. He is the Habs nuclear deterrent. Luchicken will lose more than just a few feathers if Murray goes after him.
        I believe we match up well and have players that will do whatever it takes to beat that piece of shit team. I can’t wait to see Jabba’s head explode.

• krob1000 says:

Just a reminder the guys sitting out right now are MOen-White-Parros Tinordi-Murray……that is enough to handle any Bruins roughousing.

• JUST ME says:

That`s one of the reasons i want the Habs to finish that round tonight. Keep safe and healthy while the other teams fight it out and endure what comes with that law of the jungle attitude appreciated by the NHL.

As much as we all agree that this style of violent and hypocrit hockey makes no sense, one must not either be naive and thought it was gone and forgotten. Am not scared ,the Habs can defend themselves and play hockey better than monkeys.

• LizardKing12 says:

The Bruins are our most hated rival and I get why some fans would want an opportunity to beat them in the second round of the playoffs. However, a Bruins matchup is clearly the more difficult path to the conference finals. After suffering over 20 years without a cup win the only thing that matters to me is that the Habs find a way to win it this year. IMO the most likely way for that to happen is if the stars align and the Habs get the path of least resistance to the cup final!

The path of least resistance begins with a second round matchup with the Wings. Like you said the NHL likes to turn a blind eye to the headhunting and excessive violence that takes place, especially in the playoffs. The Bruins are arguably the toughest and amongst the dirtiest teams in the NHL. A second round meeting with the Pooh, even if we win, will likely leave the Habs battered and bruised with a good chance that a player or two can end up missing significant time due to injury. We’ve seen it already in the regular season, the Bruins devote a lot of time and effort to trying to rough up the Habs in any way they can. I think the Habs have a penchant for getting under the Bruins skin and getting them off their game. I am confident that we can beat the Bruins in the playoffs like we’ve done several times in the past with far less talented teams than we are icing this season. However, the physical tole that such a series will take on our players will make it that much more difficult to make a run at the cup. A Habs vs Wings series on the other hand will look a lot like this first round vs Tampa. It will be two teams that thrive on speed and skill playing exciting, fast paced, back and forth hockey with physicality involved but not the kind of brutal head hunting, intent to injure type of physicality that the Bruins bring.

32. DipsyDoodler says:

Nygren’s team went out 4-0 to the powerhouse team in the Swedish Elite League Cup finals. I don’t think Nygren had a stellar playoff series.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• Captain aHab says:

Forgot about Nygren…safe to say he’ll be traded if possible? Guy doesn’t want to play in Hammy and can’t see where he’ll fit next year on Habs unless they delay Tinordi and Beaulieu or not sign Markov and trade Gorges which is highly unlikely.

As an offensive D prospect Nygren might fetch something decent.

He does shoot right though…

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• 24 Cups says:

It also looks like the Habs can forget trying to sign UFA right shooting Dman, Stephane Robidas. Robidas broke his leg again last night which just might mean his career is over.

24.2 Cups

• LizardKing12 says:

I wouldn’t be so quick to assume that Nygren will be traded. This guy is highly skilled and produced at nearly a point per game in the top division of the SEL. He isn’t the first guy to prefer playing in the top division in a very competitive Swedish league to riding the bus in the AHL. It would be silly for management to want to get rid of the guy just because he doesn’t want to play in Hamilton. If he can help the Habs he will stick around. This management team doesn’t seem the type to give away good assets over petty disagreements, which has been a big problem with the previous administrations.

33. boing007 says:

Sweep the $!@#$%? bleep Bolts!

Richard R

So the league has gone back to allowing the crazies to play in this league without suspension for garbage hockey!!! Example! Lucic and Cooke!!!
    What is with the media not being all over this dangerous and dirty stuff.?

• Captain aHab says:

Lucic still has his “get out of jail free” card but Cooke will get nailed I think.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Ian

Cooke will get 5-8 this time around…depending on the severity of the injury.

Edit:
      Coach Patrick Roy said that Barrie has a medial collateral ligament injury in his left knee and will need four to six weeks to recover.

• boing007 says:

Because it’s the NHL and many of the journalists and fans equate hockey with the WWE on skates. Or Roller Derby, for that matter.

Richard R

• DipsyDoodler says:

Remember when cell phones came out and we realized how rude most people were, just by the fact that they carried on loud conversations in public places, not caring who they annoyed?

They were always rude, but the cell phone just made that evident.

Same thing here.

The sport is corrupt from top (Bettman, Campbell) to bottom.

In fact I couldn’t believe Campbell was still in a position of power. I thought he’d been asked to leave after celebrating his son’s Stanley Cup a little too publicly (like DeNiro offing his collaborators for buying fur coats and Cadillacs, in Goodfellas). But no, this unethical sleaze ball is still pulling the strings.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• Maritime Ronn says:

You might not want to read this.
        The Cup celebration was nothing compared to this.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Yeah, I know about that.

Yesterday, on RDS they were suggesting that Hitchcock said nothing about the Backes concussion because he’s a “good soldier”.

The league really is Goodfellas.

—–
          Moving. Forward.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Plus you know the way it works.
            Criticise anything and get fined big time.
            Almost a reflection of society where all the rights are on the criminal’s side, and sometimes the victim is turned into the bad guy.

• boing007 says:

Colin Campbell appears to be quite an unsavoury guy.

Richard R

• Agreed. It’s amazing that the billionaires and millionaires who own these teams don’t whack-a-mole this guy and his other stooges. Of all the teams that people point at as being a league favorite, the Booins are a standout for favoritism with all their thuggary going unpunished.

I always laugh when I hear the screams in unison about how Montreal is favored by the refs like after the no-goal call where few if any talking heads back up the call and call for reforms. Nobody talks about how poor the officiating is over-all. How uneven it is during the season and in the post-season and yet Ron’s piece confirms all the BS.

It’s like watching Storage Wars and finding out most of the expensive, unique items found in the lockers were placed on purpose, just to keep the viewers interested. All rigged and now, I don’t watch it anymore. That has to happen to the NHL for the owners to finally turf the little troll Bettman and his $8 million salary.

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

35. thebonscott says:

so how does the matchups work in the next round, say for instance columbus put out pitt, boston put out dettroit, habs defeat tampa, and rangers beat philly.
    would boston play columbus
    would nyr play mtl??
    does anyone know how it works??

C’mon guys this is not rocket surgery!!!!

36. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

♥ Refs ! ;)

Go Habs GO
    Go Habs GO
    Go Habs GO

One live play off game at the Bell Center, will add 10 years to your life.!! I am 102.!

38. Chris says:

Well, this is shaping up to be a nice spring for me…the Habs are up 3-0, and Guelph took a 3-0 stranglehold over Erie last night by pasting the Otters 7-1 in Erie. I don’t think anybody in junior hockey saw this coming…the Storm have now outscored the best defensive team in the OHL 19-7 through three games.

Robby Fabbri was the big star, netting 3 goals and 1 assist on the night, pushing his playoff totals to 9 goals and 16 points in 9 games. If that kid doesn’t go in the first round, it demonstrates that the NHL is broken. The only possible knock against him can be size: at 5’10″ and 165 pounds, he’s a bit undersized at the moment, but he’s not much lighter than 1st round pick Jason Dickinson was last year. Dickinson was 6’0″ and ~160 pounds as a 17 year old at the start of last season, but is now up to 6’2″ and 182 pounds.

I don’t think Fabbri is going to grow much more height wise, but he can get a Datsyukian build. He’s got top-notch speed, and his shot release is as good or better than what I saw from Galchenyuk in the OHL. I’ve mentioned throughout the playoffs that he needs to learn how to protect himself a bit better, as he has a tendency to have his head down in bad places, but that is a fixable trend. The silver lining on that cloud is that Fabbri has no problem whatsoever going into the high traffic areas…he is pretty fearless.

Fabbri has done nothing but score this year. Back in November, he got hit with a 10-game suspension for a headshot after scoring 8 goals and 20 points in his first 17 games (including a 3 goal, 1 assist night in his last game before the suspension). Since returning from that suspension on November 29, Fabbri has posted 46 goals and 83 points in 50 games (including playoffs). Fabbri cites the suspension as leading to his dramatic improvement: he watched the games from the stands and focused on what the best players were doing to be successful. He also felt pretty guilty for “letting his teammates down”. When people question why a coach might have a youngster sit in the press-box, let Fabbri’s example illustrate that it actually can be a teaching tool if the player uses it the right way.

The maddening thing for me is that his draft status among the pundits has remained “late 1st – early 2nd round pick”. Fabbri is the kind of guy that I can absolutely see the Red Wings picking, because a lot of teams are going to pass on one of the most gifted offensive players in the draft solely based on his size.

When people ask why the NHL has devolved into a league of cheap shots and thuggery, look no further than the difficulty that players like Reway, Andrighetto and possibly Fabbri face in being recognized for their talent, while guys like Tom Wilson (16th overall, Washington) or Zembus Girgensons (12th overall, Buffalo) have scouts frothing at the mouth. It is a strange, strange league.

• Ian Cobb says:

Chris.! thanks for the update my friend!

• Paz says:

Girgensons is a talented player who happens to have decent size. He skates well, he plays 3 zones, he was productive in the USHL, and he can play center or wing. I see Girgensons as a 50 point NHL player, 20 goals, and defensively he doesn’t give an inch.

Why would you throw his name into a Tom Wilson pile? He had 7 minor penalties in 70 games for the Sabres.

• Chris says:

I will be shocked out of my tree if Girgensons gets 50 points in a season. That isn’t his game.

Girgensons climbed in the draft rankings because scouts were in love with his physical play and his nasty streak. I’m happy that he hasn’t resorted to trying to fight his way into the NHL. I’m unhappy that he is even in the NHL…realistically, he shouldn’t be in the league for another 2-3 years. But because of his style of play and the talent deficient Sabres, he got rushed to the show.

I have nothing particularly against Girgensons, I just find it a little odd that he was such a high draft pick.

• DipsyDoodler says:

You might have mentioned Michael McCarron on your list, although my recollection is that no scout was foaming at the mouth in his case.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• Ozmodiar says:

Yes, my thought was scratch Girgensons from that list, add McCarron. :)

Girgensons is a terrific player, as Paz points out.

Also, I think it’s safe to say that Fabbri will be drafted in the 1st round, so, he’s not really being overlooked.

• Chris says:

I’m just annoyed because Fabbri was ranked 21st among North American skaters in the final CSS rankings, and I constantly see him listed as a “possible” 1st round pick. This is understandable, because there is a VERY strong crop of European prospects this year.

Fabbri will likely go 20-40 this year. He’s going to get dinged for his size. Given that goal scorers are hard to come by, it is just odd to see the draft-eligible player that scored the third most goals (behind Nikolaj Ehlers’ 47 goals in 60 games in the QMJHL for Halifax and Jake Virtanen’s 45 goals in 71 games in the WHL for Calgary) in the country while serving as the pivot of the top-line of the top junior team in the country listed as a potential first round pick. What more does the kid have to do?

39. CJ says:

Good morning folks.

Kinda feels like Christmas morning. I’m heading into the office to get as much done as possible, but I’ll be counting down till lunch hour in anticipation of travelling east bound and down, destination Bell Centre.

Shifting gears, knowing how important playoff hockey is in assessing player value, Bourque, Eller and Briere have helped to dig themselves out of the holes they had dug during the regular season and, at the very least, significantly improved their value. It gives Bergevin more options and the ability to deal from a position of strength should he decide to make roster moves during the off season. It’s amazing to think that three games could trump an entire regular season, but Bickell and Stallberg are but two recent examples of how postseason success is weighted.

As I mentioned yesterday, the key to our continued success is the balanced play and scoring of all four lines. When you can roll all four units, you hold a considerable advantage. The fact that the coach had the fourth line out in overtime in game 1, and again on the ice with 2:00 minutes to go, while holding a one goal lead in game three, tells you the trust and confidence the coaching staff has in this group.

I know the corsi/fenwick fans hated the Dale Weise trade, but, was there a better move in the entire league this year? Diaz can’t crack the Rangers lineup after the Canucks quickly realized what they got and flipped him to Broadway. Diaz won’t be in the league as soon as next season and certainly not within 2 years. Other deals have received more attention, but I think this deal should be considered a steal. How nice is it to now say we have a staff who can make professional deals without getting fleeced?

In closing, I trust everyone will enjoy the game this evening. My only decision this morning will involve which sweater to wear….. Go Habs!

Cheers, CJ

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi CJ

While there is agreement about Bourque and Eller, the same can’t be said for Briere….so far.

In Game 1, he played 18:48, yet his ToI has significantly reduced to 11:04 in Game 2, then 8:27 in Game 3.

Briere has become a botton 6 player for any team and on several, he just wouldn’t fit.
      $4M is much too much for a 1 dimensional, aging, oft injured player that has lost a step or 3.

• CJ says:

I agree regarding Briere. He would certainly be the most difficult to move. I wonder if his value is more off ice, inside the dressing room. He seems to be the go to guy and a leader. Maybe even a conduit between the guys and management?

In any event, his play, thus far, is an extension of the regular season. He had a very good first game, which, if repeated might cause rival GM’s to take further notice. In all likelihood he will be back.

• Ian Cobb says:

Briere played a fantastic game I thought, and then went back to his lower energy game.? I just do not understand how that happens, unless Therrien wants him back more or something
          .!???

• thebonscott says:

we think alike, yes weise >>>>>>diaz

C’mon guys this is not rocket surgery!!!!

• Phil C says:

The Weise trade worked out great for the Habs as it filled a hole in the roster with a player who was heading for free agency. I think Diaz will get a contract somewhere next year though. He is a useful player in the right situation.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Good point about Diaz being a pending UFA.
        The Habs were not going to re-sign him and would have lost him with no player asset coming back.

Also the Habs dumped Diaz’s $1.225M Cap Hit ($1.250M salary) for Weise’s $750K Cap Hit.
        That’s a lot of hot dogs besides precious cap space

• Cal says:

Enjoy the game, CJ. Nothing can compare to being in Montreal and in the building come playoff time.

40. Lafleurguy says:

Data from the Bulldogs site. Mike Blunden had his best stats ever as an AHLer and a pro.

Greg Pateryn is 219 lbs. and Nathan Beaulieu, 194. Illustrates the advantage of passing the age of 21-22.

• Captain aHab says:

Gonna be surprised if next year the Habs have Tinordi, Beaulieu and Pateryn in their lineup. Wonder if Pateryn would spend another full year in Hamilton mentoring the youth coming in and then get his shot the year after.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• CJ says:

Salary cap (if adjusted for the Canadian dollar) and signings will go a long way to determining how many entry level players crack next season’s lineup.

• Captain aHab says:

If we resign Markov, we’d basically have to trade Gorges (or leave one of Tinordi or Beaulieu in Hammy) to fit Pateryn as a top 6. And that’s without resigning any of Murray, Weaver or Bouillon. Pateryn will need injuries or trades to fit in methinks.

—————-
          Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Blunden is a UFA this summer and will try hard to secure a 1-way contract perhaps with some bottom feeder (doubtful), or at least improve on a 2-way contract that paid him $125K-$550K

Guy, he also had a good year in 2007-08 for Rockford.

As for Pateryn, he becomes an RFA this summer.
      Strange he never even received a cup of coffee call up.
      Then again, even Tinordi-Beaulieu don’t have a place this year with all the depth signings/trades