Habs who tweet

subban-mug

Dave Stubbs talks to P.K. Subban about Twitter.
“… the social media corner of cyberspace devoted to expressing ourselves 140 characters at a time, Canadiens defenceman P.K. Subban has good-naturedly become the reason for anything and everything in life that goes wrong.”

There will be more reports and video from Monday’s training camp session.

Pat Hickey on Brendan Gallagher

Jack Todd’s season predictions

Hockey News panel looks at the Canadiens

DD impresses Piere Durocher

Final set of prospect rankings: Guess who’s number 1?

EotP on Zack FitzGerald

Komo’s job in jeopardy?

Dennis Kane on names

1. Thomas Le Fan says:

I agree with Todd, on almost every point. Besides, most NFL games are worse than watching paint dry AND the officiating has got to be the worst of any major sport. I’d say, “Rank amateurs.” but that would be an insult to most amateurs.

2. savethepuck says:

I wasn’t sure if I was going to read the Jack Todd article, but from his 30 thoughts, he had some good points and some not so good points. This one caught my eye though:

13. Markov will come back when he’s ready – and when he does, he’ll be what he always is: the Canadiens best player.

This is something I agree with, and unfortunately, a lot of Habs fans have forgotten how good and how important to this team this guy really is. The “keep the Wiz” brigade on here will soon be won over by Marky. He’s not just an offensive DMan and powerplay quarterback, he has all the tools.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Hockey+madness+begun/5422794/story.html#ixzz1YPwgqWcM

3. Bripro says:

Does anyone else here think that Jack Todd is a frustrated middle-to-aging miserable man? Every once in a while, he comes out with something insightful, but then ices the cake with negative-negative-negative.

4. habs-hampton says:

Mike: The link to the Hockey News article is incorrect.

#BlameSubban

5. Bob_Sacamano says:

@BeeGee: Ha, we are “neighbours”. I live in Germany, relatively close to the Dutch border (in Düsseldorf).

• BeeGee says:

Nice! I live in Arnhem!! Like 1 hour and a half away… We should try and catch an afternoon game sometime this season… lonely habs fans that we are…

Write me at yannelv at gmail dot com if you find it a funny idea…

Spotlight article on PK at thefourthperiod.com

Apparantly the Sabres listed Ottawa’s new 3rd jersey at their store prior to Ottawa’s launch date for the jersey.

• Kooch7800 says:

Good article on PK.

I love the rumors on the fourth Period. I wonder if they just make it up as they go along.

I stopped reading them cause anything PG does….no one sees it coming. Which is the way it really should be

The idiot Eklund is trying to up his webhits today again as well. Says Montreal is talking to LA about a Defenceman!

• J_P says:

Hockeybuzz has some good bloggers, and its unfortunate that they are associated with eklund. At least engels got on board with CBC.

That is why I always see Eklund’s crap, I go there to read Engels and a few other bloggers there. Don’t mind reading the guy who does the Flyers, always decent insight into what is going on with the enemy.

7. Kooch7800 says:

Picture our D with the old Komisarek (back before the Lucic fight) and Yemelin in the top 6. We would have had some nice Physical threats back there.

Markov- Komi
    Yemelin – Suabbn/webber
    Jorges – Gill

(they wouldn’t have signed Spacek most likely if they kept Komi)

Komi’s game is gone though and is now fighting for a job with the leafs.

It is a combination of 3 things I think. 1) Markov definitely was the best Dman he has ever been paired with and those were also Markov’s healthiest seasons. 2) Once tooled by Lucic I think Komi lost his edge/confidence etc.. 3) When he made the all star team, I think he actually believed it was a skill thing, when really it was home team stuffed ballot mixed in with knowing what your limitations are. He then started to believe he was a much higher skilled player than he really was. His game changed and he doesn’t seem to be able to find what he used to do. Of course he also doesn’t get paired with a healthy Markov in Toronto.

Another article on fighting in the NHL, interesting though, this article is coming out of the U.K. and questions why Bettman would pander to this violence.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Oh those condescending Brits.

It may not be much but two guys pummeling each other while wearing skates is our great cultural achievement. It ain’t Darwin or Dickens but it’s what we’ve got. You don’t like it, watch Wimbledon.

I just couldn’t believe a UK paper cared enough to write about it. Of course Bettman should be happy, people in UK are now reading about hockey, too bad it has nothing to do with the beauty of hockey.

• V says:

Agree.

But trying to talk about the beauty of hockey with fighting in the game is like trying to talk about the beauty of a forest with a toxic waste site smack dab in the middle of it.

Fighting threatens to kill a great game. And I love the line in the article where the writer questions why Bettman is pandering to the fighting element rather than leading to something better. Getting fighting out of the game would be a great legacy for Bettman.

9. gK_HabsFan says:

I don’t want to jump the gun, but based on what I heard and read, it seems that Emelin is likely to start the season on the top 6. The question is where does he fit?How about:

Markov – Subban
    Gill – Gorges
    (Weber/Spacek) – Emelin

What you guys think?

I don’t think there is anyway JM doesn’t have Spacek in his top 6 especially with Markov likely to miss the start of the season. Could very well see Spacek and Yemelin together. Czech and Russian languages have a lot of similarities and this would help Yemelin with communication on the ice.

• MilaKunis says:

I would prefer to have Gorges paired with Markov and Gill with Subban and the third pairing of Spacek and Yemelin/Weber. I think this a better mix of puck moving D and defensive D.

• avatar_58 says:

Well we don’t know if Markov is going to be good to go for one thing.

I imagine Weber and Yemelin will fight for a spot. Unfortunately for Weber Yemelin fills an immediate need with size and toughness.

• el heffe says:

Emelin in my opinion fits best with Markov. Two russians talking russian confusing the oppositon like Hammer and Spatch use to do speaking Chech. Also, their styles compliment each other nicely. Emelin knocks guys out and Markov skates circles around the falling bodies. sounds good to me. This leaves us with a top four of Markov-Emelin Subban-Jorges. Gill-Weber for mentor purposes and Spacek as the 7th d-man.

Charge it to the Underhill’s.–Chevy

10. adam76 says:

Follow me on Twitter – teamadam76

So my limited research into Russian Tanks comes up with the majority of the machines being T series. Unfortunately they did not have a T-74 model, but did have a T-70.

They heaviest Russsian tanks had some labelled KV-various numbers.

I think a nickname for Yemelin could be KV-74 while not an exact tank model the KV represents the heavy tank and we have to use his number obviously, this also fits in with the AK series we have had before and still have with AK-46.

Would love to just call him Panzer, but probably not a fair stretch to have him named after a German tank.

Not prepared to trademark this just yet, as much tweaking is probably required.

12. BeeGee says:

I was very surprised to read François Gagnon’s blog yesterday in which he speculates Yemelin could start the season paired with Markov.

Is this just the typical ethnical gathering view? It seems uncertain Yemelin is top 4 material to begin with… Especially right now, just coming over. Does he actually have the talent to play over 20 minutes a game right away?

Would love to hear your thoughts on this…

• Bob_Sacamano says:

It makes sense because Yemelin would have no communication problems with Markov and it would be nice to have a real physical dman out there with Andrei. I also think he´s much more top 4 material than Gill or Spacek. Having seen him quite a few times over the years, there´s no doubt for me that Yemelin clearly is our third most talented dman.

He wouldn´t necessarily have to play 20+ minutes btw. I expect him not to be on the PP and with a lot less PK time than Gorges, Gill and Subban. So in the end he´d probably play not more than 15-18 minutes.

I´d certainly start Yemelin with Markov, P.K. and Gorges + Weber with Gill. Of course Spacek will play as JM is still here…

Also, think back to when Komisarek was most effective with the Habs, he was paired with Markov. Giving Markov that physical edged dman should free up some space for Markov to help with the breakouts as KV-74 clears up all the debris in front of the net.

• MJ says:

The pairings on defense I would like to see JM start the season with are:

Markov – Yemelin
          Subban – Gill
          Gorges – Weber
          Spacek

IMO opinion it gives an interesting offensive and defensive dimension to each of the pairings making them quite balanced. The first two pairings might even have a bit of a physical element as well.

________________________________________________
          This team can use a 6’4″ fourth line centre full of grit and aggression. Paul Gaustad anyone?

Assuming a healthy Markov, I can see him paired with Yemelin. But I can’t see JM breaking up Gorges/Gill as he may want that as his shutdown Dpair. But that would then limit PK’s playing time.

It is going to be something to watch to see how JM pairs it up. However, I think Markov will end up missing 3-4 weeks to start the season so that will screw up all of our intended dline pairings.

• MJ says:

@ HabinBurlington, true about Marky likely missing time. But not so sure about the Gill – Gorges pairing. Gill – Subban woked quite well last year as a shutdown pair and as you mentioned, PK’s playing time will weigh in to this equation (heavily I think), also the fact that PK has found a mentor in Gill should come into play too. On the PK however, I can see JM reverting to Gorges – Gill or Markov – Gorges and Gill – Subban depending on the injury situation of course.

________________________________________________

• Kooch7800 says:

I used to be a big Komisarek fan. He was my fav hab. Then Lucic tooled him and he has never been the same.

I was dissapointed when he signed with the leafs but I bet he regrets that move now….

• BeeGee says:

Thanks for your comment Bob. What you say about TOI makes sense. My concern would be more about him facing top level opposition rather than any amount of minutes… May I ask what makes you think he’s #3? When you say you saw him play quite a bit, what are you referring to exactly?

Something Arpon Basu wrote a while ago alerted me: “…and played an average of 19:16 per game, fifth among the team’s defencemen.”

I found it quite weird and somewhat worrying at the time… perhaps it’s a mistake, but being no5 in ice time on a KHL team doesn’t lead to top NHL pairing in my book..

• Bob_Sacamano says:

I live in Europe and get to watch the KHL from time to time. I also saw Yemelin at the WC playing for Russia twice.

I would still consider Gorges our Nr.3 on D, yet in terms of talent Yemelin is better. He also likes to keep it simple, to work hard… but he is better offensively and physically stronger. Unfortunately he sometimes is a little bit over-aggressive but overall, I really like him.

The 19:16 (which isn´t that bad actually) was his toi in the playoffs (9 games). In the regular season (over 50 games) he had more than 21 minutes and was Nr.2 or 3 (Ilya Nikulin had about two minutes more, anyone else? I am not sure) on his team.

• BeeGee says:

Alright thanks a lot for the clarifications Bob, very much appreciated! Judging from this I guess pairing him with Markov, Gorges with PK and Gill with Weber/Spacek makes a lot of sense. Nice and balanced.
            I do like the fact Yemelin seems a bit unpredictable. He’ll go for the big hit but can be sound positionally and make a good first pass… good to keep opposing forwards guessing. We haven’t had that since the good days of Komisarek.
            Just curious, where do you live in Europe? I’m in the Netherlands… Not exactly a hockey hot bed…

Great article by Jack Todd. For the good of the game, I hope he’s right about Crosby.

Komisarek and Franson both play the right side which doesn’t bode well for the guy that Gainey tried to re-sign two years ago. Komo’s best chance of landing a spot is to hope for another guy to get injured.

There seems to be some debate over which kid is our best prospect – Leblanc or Beaulieu. Two more years of seasoning should about do it. Leblanc needs to play a ton seeing that he’s had very little high level competition in his young career (the WJC aside). The only question seems to be whether he’ll eventuallly play wing or centre. Beaulieu just needs to fill out some more before he replaces Hal Gill.

Check out Sunday’s thread if you missed the Brendan Gallagher interview from yesterday. You just have to love the way this kid comes across as a sincere person who is awestruck to be in the big smoke. Speaking of people you have to love and admire, how about my man, Mathieu Darche? Talk about a Cinderella story. If MB is going to do some player profiles this fall, this is where he should begin.

14. MJ says:

The THN link doesn’t work properly, it points to the Stubbs article on Subban and Twitter.

________________________________________________